Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Girl Meets High School: Part Two

^^^ Wonder if he'll show up again sometime this season..hopefully

So much for those three new characters being the somewhat"antagonists" of the group..and it also seems they have a triangle situation of their own*rolleyes*

That one new girl in Cory's class,im assuming sometime down the line she will get a spotlight episode

Annd it looks like theyre going back to the silly stuff again (RE: the"I am Jessica!!!" promo for next week's ep)

(edited)

Ugh. What a load of bullshit. Also, the sideburns on Ben Savage are awful. 

The Alamo story was garbage. Why not say it, Cory? The Mexicans massacred the Texans, or is that not politically correct? Of course, the American immigrants to Mexican Texas were attempting to revolt because they disagreed with the Mexican government. They were no more "patriots" than the Mexicans. History is not black and white, Mr. Matthews.

I was hoping the snarky student was going to say she was transferring to a real history class, not getting Cory's desk.

"Satirical style" -- I don't get this. Are you saying the fashions the girls wear are deliberately bad to mock how awful teen girls dress? Otherwise, I think you mean "sartorial."

Edited by SmithW6079
(edited)
1 hour ago, Skyfall said:

Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Best part of the episode for me. The Dream...Try...Do Good sign.

"Don't you mean, do well?"

Riley, Lucas, Maya, Farkle, Smackle and Zay clearly go to TV high school. No seniors are going to realistically care about the emotional well-being of freshmen and whether or not they keep their friendships. Lol. And I thought Riley and Lucas and Maya were acting self-absorbed the whole time and like #firstworld problems about being freshmen in high school - "Wah! We were kings in middle school and now we're in high school and these seniors don't know and don't care who we are!"

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 2

Ugh. What a load of bullshit. Also, the sideburns on Ben Savage are awful. 

I wonder if this is an in-joke about Shawn wearing fake sideburns on his and Cory's first day of (junior) high, as shown here when he goes over to the Matthews' house before school:

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

No seniors are going to realistically care about the emotional well-being of freshmen and whether or not they keep their friendships. Lol.

I'd have to disagree with that. I don't think it's well written, but I don't think it's unrealistic either.

I just spend so many of these episodes so confused.  Who talks like this?  What middle school level children monologue and over emote like this on a regular basis.  Its just high school.  It doesn't need all of this pathos in every. single. episode.  I feel like my eyes are going to roll right out of my head every time I'm hit over the head with the episode lesson.  What nonsense.

And the love triangle is just gross to me now.  Those two senior girls still fighting over one guy after four years is dumb.  There are a million other guys that you can date in high school.  I wouldn't be fighting with my best friend over one guy.  Move on.  Show please move on.  Its not cute and its not sending a good message to either party.

What I loved about BMW is that I felt like the Matthews family and their weekly issues were somewhat based in reality.  Cory was a smart ass, normal kid to start and his parents treated him as such.  Riley is none of those things and its disappointing.  I don't blame Rowan, I blame the writing.  Riley is my least favorite part of the show right now and Maya is a  close second.  The boys are so much more interesting to me.  

I'm also super disappointed in Cory.  Cory as a character and Cory as a teacher.  Mr. Feeney was a real teacher.  Mr. Turner was a real teacher.  Cory is not.  He's so busy trying to be everyone's friend and be the one to provide the life lesson that he is a total caricature and that's unfortunate because he could be so much more.  This show could be so much more.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, blugirlami21 said:

I'm also super disappointed in Cory.  Cory as a character and Cory as a teacher.  Mr. Feeney was a real teacher.  Mr. Turner was a real teacher.  Cory is not.  He's so busy trying to be everyone's friend and be the one to provide the life lesson that he is a total caricature and that's unfortunate because he could be so much more.  This show could be so much more.

There has to be some other teachers at that school besides Corey that they can interact with..that coach we saw with the football team could be a start if Lucas and Zay decide to try out for the team after all..

I know that Smackle is on the spectrum, but I just don't find her funny. All she seems to do is follow Farkle around and parrot everything he says, and that's when she's not making some awkward comment that the laugh-track roars at.

• Love 4

I normally defend the show, and I get a kick out of the wacky surreal stuff, but GOD, I feel like I'm watching some Disneyfied, badly written version of Dawson's Creek at times. 14/15 was angsty, but not THIS angsty. How many fucking episodes have been about the loss of childhood youth and innocence already when they just STARTED high school?

The Wonder Years was able to pull that off because they had Kevin act like a normal kid who often didn't realize the significance of his coming-of-age events/rituals at the time, and because they had incredibly strong writers. I feel like this show wants to be like that, but they're forcing down the significance of these friendships instead of having it be natural.

Please. ENOUGH of this. If they're trying to cash in on Boy Meets World nostalgia, they seem to be forgetting the fact that first and foremost, the kids were actually kids who didn't constantly sit around and talk about how close of friends they were and how much this all meant to them and blah blah blah. They actually just were friends, and the maudlin stuff was kept to a minimum for times it was actually needed, like graduation or the series finale.

This show is so much better when they're not trying so hard to bash us over the head about how deeply profound everything is. I get that this doesn't want to be Best Friends Whenever or The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, but sometimes they go overboard into wanting to prove how profound and deep this show is. I'm actually even shocked that this hasn't totally turned off the Disney audience (the tweens this should actually be for). Maybe they do buy that this crap is deep, I don't know.

What I really, really didn't care for was the implication by their senior "mirrors" that we'll be dealing with this "love triangle" (where the most we'll ever see would be a very quick peck on the lips) for the entirety of high school. Umm, no. Please no. I wanted to watch a show about friendship, not about two girls fighting over a guy in a sanitized Disney World where girls hug their boyfriends instead of making out with them. (See: Luke Benward's passionate hug goodbye to Teddy on Good Luck Charlie.) It just feels so pointless. We're never, ever going to get some delicious bitchiness like the Brenda/Dylan/Kelly love triangle on 90210, so why are we even doing this? Especially since, as this show loves to point out, Riley and Maya are best friends who are basically sisters that can't stand to be apart.

A love triangle would make sense on something like 90210 or Dawson's Creek, where teenagers ARE allowed to be passionate, horny people led by their emotions and libidos, but not on a show that can't show anything more than a puppy dog crush.

• Love 8

I'm starting to like the Ava character more.  The only thing I don't understand is why Topanga doesn't relate more with Ava's parent's divorce.  I remember when that happened to Topanga and crushed her.

I also love the opening credits and how they went back to one the BMW's openings

• Love 1

This show suffers from being on the Disney Channel. It would be so much better as a Freeform show where the characters could be written more realistically. I think I'm out and that's sad because I really like Rowan's passion for social justice and I hate seeing her play this awful character. I can't watch shows that insult my intelligence and this show has done that for awhile but I'd hoped that with the kids moving to high school that streak could be broken but it's worse.

• Love 4

I just don't understand what this show is trying to do right now. It's like it's trying to take on the seriousness that came with the later years of Boy Meets World, but that really only worked because the characters were older. Not every episode was so incredibly profound when the characters were just starting high school. I also want them to just drop the triangle altogether. Disney is never going to do a full polyamorous relationship and the endless triangle is just unbearable. I'm hoping that they can find their way soon because so far, season 3 is shaping up to be a hot mess.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, maraleia said:

This show suffers from being on the Disney Channel. It would be so much better as a Freeform show where the characters could be written more realistically. I think I'm out and that's sad because I really like Rowan's passion for social justice and I hate seeing her play this awful character. I can't watch shows that insult my intelligence and this show has done that for awhile but I'd hoped that with the kids moving to high school that streak could be broken but it's worse.

Agreed. It's suffering from Disney-itis.

• Love 2

.... and the 3 high school seniors moved to Utah where they live happily ever after.  The End :D

Was it just me or Ava dealt with her reality better than all 6 freshmen combined ? 

Some of the issues with the show may be caused by being on Disney Channel, for example how they deal with the love triangle. But other issues are caused by the creators of the show, for example the character of Riley. Other Disney Channel shows don't have characters as naive as Riley, so I'm blaming that on the showrunners and writers.

• Love 1

Everything about this episode and other episodes were stagey and that bothered me as well. Their movements don't even look natural and that's the fault of the director. No one moves through school hallways like this group does. This is so sad.

• Love 3
(edited)

So not worth watching? Figured as much. It's the same old stuff that the writers think that the whole love trianlge, will they, won't they thing works? And quite frankly, it's just lame writing and bores the heck out of me.

BMW is a way better show.

Think I'll stick to the reviews on site :)

Edited by David-
  • Love 2

I know the timeline on this show is a little weird because of how Disney airs episodes. But it occurred to me after this episode that the whole triangle thing started in an episode that took place New Year's Eve, or at least that's when Maya and Lucas found out Riley was still into him. The first day of school in NYC puts them at September (a good 8-9 months later) and these kids have made no movement at all? It's kind of insane.

• Love 2

I didn't like the first two episodes. Ben is 21. He was so out of place as a senior in high school. The story was ridiculous. I'm getting tired of the girls. At this point, I think it would be better to do a spin off with the 3 guys. They are more well defined. Maya is all poor me and Riley is a bubble head.

Ava is better this year. I like how her relationship with Topanga is evolving.

How people style their hair usually doesn't bother me, but I really dislike Auggie's hair. I guess someone thinks it makes him look adorable. It is distracting.

(edited)
On 6/7/2016 at 2:07 PM, maraleia said:

Everything about this episode and other episodes were stagey and that bothered me as well. Their movements don't even look natural and that's the fault of the director. No one moves through school hallways like this group does. This is so sad.

Part of the problem is the ridiculous geography of the set. I mean THIS is supposed to represent the ENTIRE school, other than Corey's classroom. There's no depth to the set, very few alternate angles, etc.

3GwpLm.jpg

I mean in theory that set is deep. But the entire "back" 50% of it is wasted space that people only use to walk into the front 50%. The part they actually use to shoot scenes is TINY. In fact, you can actually see that the scene we had in Girl Meets High School Episode 1, where they had people walk by the hole/pit and we only saw their shoes?  Had to be bogus, because in fact the only reasons someone would cross in front of the hole is either to walk down there to use the vending machines, or to visit specifically those 7 lockers on that wall there. No other reason, or they'd be walking down those stairs on the right side, continue walking straight down the hallway, and not cross in front of the hole at all. 

Edited by Kromm
On June 10, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Kromm said:

Part of the problem is the ridiculous geography of the set. I mean THIS is supposed to represent the ENTIRE school, other than Corey's classroom. There's no depth to the set, very few alternate angles, etc.

3GwpLm.jpg

I mean in theory that set is deep. But the entire "back" 50% of it is wasted space that people only use to walk into the front 50%. The part they actually use to shoot scenes is TINY. In fact, you can actually see that the scene we had in Girl Meets High School Episode 1, where they had people walk by the hole/pit and we only saw their shoes?  Had to be bogus, because in fact the only reasons someone would cross in front of the hole is either to walk down there to use the vending machines, or to visit specifically those 7 lockers on that wall there. No other reason, or they'd be walking down those stairs on the right side, continue walking straight down the hallway, and not cross in front of the hole at all. 

Last might they had a unique angle so I think it will be fine.