Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6

• Start Topic

Did Anna know for 12 years that Luke was the father? Or did she not know for sure until the Science Fair?

I totally agree that the whole town would have known within 24 hours of April showing up in the diner.

I didn't hate Luke's reaction and keeping it from Lorelei. It seemed in character to me. But it wouldn't have taken long for the truth to get around town, so that bit didn't ring true.

Anna seemed very unstable to me. Had 3 men in her life at the same time, any of which could have been April's father? Spent 12 years either not knowing,  or not caring about the man who didn't know he was a father, then gets all bent out of shape because her daughter and friends spent time with an unknown woman, while in the care of this man. Whom she didn't really know herself anymore

Anna's character is all over the map, personality wise. Written to fit the need of the weekly script, but no continuity.

Logan ends up being just like his father. It was his way or the highway, with the proposal. So very unlikable. If you're truly in love with someone, you don't so easily walk away. Real adult mature love wants what is best for the object of your love. It doesn't demand your own way in a life changing decision.

The 4 extra episodes don't even deserve mention, aside from Emily walking away from the DAR etc. Her arc was the best thing out of the 4 episodes.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

Did Anna know for 12 years that Luke was the father?

Apparently. Anna told Luke when he confronted her that she didn't tell him because he hated kids. There is nothing in the story that said Anna was having sex with 3 different men in the same timeframe. Anna said April found letters and figured her father was one of 3 men Anna had seen in the past. Liz immediately knew from April being 12 that the mother was Anna. Liz said Luke was a serial monogamist.

• Like 4

Did Anna know for 12 years that Luke was the father?

Yes. It's never specifically stated that she did, but there's really no indication or even implication that Anna didn't know Luke was the father. Only that she never told April who her father was so April took it upon herself to hunt for clues.

I didn't hate Luke's reaction and keeping it from Lorelei. It seemed in character to me. But it wouldn't have taken long for the truth to get around town, so that bit didn't ring true.

I agree. I've defended Luke before on this and I still maintain that he didn't tell Lorelai because he truly wanted to see if April would like him for himself and not because he had a sparkly fun girlfriend. Maybe it would have made more sense if he had mentioned this bizarre happening with a 12 year old girl showing up in his diner and pulling out one of his hairs, and then IF Lorelai asked about it later he lied and said nothing came of it, but not wanting Lorelai involved while he figured it out really is in character for him.

Anna seemed very unstable to me. Had 3 men in her life at the same time, any of which could have been April's father? Spent 12 years either not knowing,  or not caring about the man who didn't know he was a father, then gets all bent out of shape because her daughter and friends spent time with an unknown woman, while in the care of this man. Whom she didn't really know herself anymore

Anna's reaction to the birthday party is the most bizarre thing in the world to me. WHY would she think the parents of a dozen 12 - 13 year old girls would be more comfortable with their daughter spending the night in a small apartment with only an unmarried man as their chaperone, than with him and his fiancee instead? SO. DUMB.

The 4 extra episodes don't even deserve mention, aside from Emily walking away from the DAR etc. Her arc was the best thing out of the 4 episodes.

Absolutely agree.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Apparently. Anna told Luke when he confronted her that she didn't tell him because he hated kids. There is nothing in the story that said Anna was having sex with 3 different men in the same timeframe. Anna said April found letters and figured her father was one of 3 men Anna had seen in the past. Liz immediately knew from April being 12 that the mother was Anna. Liz said Luke was a serial monogamist.

Luke being a serial monogamist doesn't mean Anna was. I thought Anna mentioned a diary, not letters, but it's been a while since I've seen these episodes.

Either way, Anna let April think it could be one of 3 men, which implies dating all 3 at the same time. For a science fair project...3 men and their pics, with a "Who's My Daddy" topic. Just a little cringy IMO. And surely implied to the other students and teachers that April's mom was a little free with her affections.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:07 PM, Taryn74 said:

Yes. It's never specifically stated that she did, but there's really no indication or even implication that Anna didn't know Luke was the father. Only that she never told April who her father was so April took it upon herself to hunt for clues.

I agree. I've defended Luke before on this and I still maintain that he didn't tell Lorelai because he truly wanted to see if April would like him for himself and not because he had a sparkly fun girlfriend. Maybe it would have made more sense if he had mentioned this bizarre happening with a 12 year old girl showing up in his diner and pulling out one of his hairs, and then IF Lorelai asked about it later he lied and said nothing came of it, but not wanting Lorelai involved while he figured it out really is in character for him.

Anna's reaction to the birthday party is the most bizarre thing in the world to me. WHY would she think the parents of a dozen 12 - 13 year old girls would be more comfortable with their daughter spending the night in a small apartment with only an unmarried man as their chaperone, than with him and his fiancee instead? SO. DUMB.

Absolutely agree.

I think that was the excuse Anna was selling when in reality she was jealous/competitive and didn’t like the idea of April liking Luke’s fiancée.

8 hours ago, deaja said:

I think that was the excuse Anna was selling when in reality she was jealous/competitive and didn’t like the idea of April liking Luke’s fiancée.

Yep. Anna was banking on the party being a disaster and leading to April no longer wanting to hang around Luke. Given how she behaved in the show I bet none of the parents had any issue with Lorelai being present at the sleepover, and maybe even called to either thank her for making sure a woman was present or express how much fun their girls had, and part of why she was pissed is she would have preferred a bunch of angry parents calling to ask why their daughters were at a sleepover with only a grown man present* to give her a specific excuse to ban April from Luke.

*Which really wouldn't have made much sense as Luke got to know some of those parents on the road trip with April and they wouldn't have let their girls attend the party, and definitely not the sleepover, if they had even one concern about his presence.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Given how she behaved in the show I bet none of the parents had any issue with Lorelai being present at the sleepover, 

IIRC, Lorelai has all the girls call their parents before they were allowed too stay, except Anna. Oops.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
On 1/19/2021 at 4:31 PM, Taryn74 said:

Right? Anna's fury was the DUMBEST thing I had ever heard. As a parent, I would have been greatly relieved to hear that at least one female adult was there keeping an eye on a roomful of 12/13 yo girls, rather than one girl's father who she was just recently getting to know. I can't even spin it in any way to see Anna's point on that one.

SO MANY things about Anna's attitude baffled me:

"What am I supposed to say to the other parents?" - all those parents were ASKED PERMISSION before the girls were allowed to stay over. Was Anna worried that some of them were going to change their minds and yell at Anna over it after the fact, even though she had nothing to do with it?

"April doesn't meet anyone until I get married." - I doubt it's a great idea to make the decision to marry someone if they haven't even met your kid yet.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
On 4/26/2024 at 12:14 PM, Tamariskie said:

SO MANY things about Anna's attitude baffled me:

"What am I supposed to say to the other parents?" - all those parents were ASKED PERMISSION before the girls were allowed to stay over. Was Anna worried that some of them were going to change their minds and yell at Anna over it after the fact, even though she had nothing to do with it?

"April doesn't meet anyone until I get married." - I doubt it's a great idea to make the decision to marry someone if they haven't even met your kid yet.

When she was going to move to New Mexico and used the argument that Luke had only known April a couple of months as the reason why she didn't need to discuss it with him really ground my gears. YOU NEVER TOLD HIM ANYTHING ABOUT APRIL, YOU NUT!  Was he just supposed to track down all the women he dated nine months after their breakup to find out if a child existed?

• Like 3
5 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

When she was going to move to New Mexico and used the argument that Luke had only known April a couple of months as the reason why she didn't need to discuss it with him really ground my gears. YOU NEVER TOLD HIM ANYTHING ABOUT APRIL, YOU NUT!  Was he just supposed to track down all the women he dated nine months after their breakup to find out if a child existed?

Exactly! It's her own fault he didn't know. 

For me, I was completely supportive of Luke holding on marrying Lorelei until he could get a handle on the April situation and dealing with her mother Anna.

It's karma for Lorelei since she had very specific rules about what potential fiances could do with Rory.   She was dismissive of Max when they were about to get married on what role he would have in Rory's life... so I say 'turnaround is fair play *itch.

• Like 4

I can be very critical of Lorelai, but I am 100% with her on keeping Rory separate  from her romantic partners. It's just common sense, especially since her partners are men. And initially, she agreed with Anna having the same approach with April. The drama that followed was IMO all just writers manufacturing drama for the sake of drama.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

The drama that followed was IMO all just writers manufacturing drama for the sake of drama.

I may be misremembering, but I thought ASP said the whole April storyline was to keep Luke and Lorelai apart, because getting them to the happy ever after would be boring. So yes, drama.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 7/7/2024 at 7:38 AM, JustHereForFood said:

I can be very critical of Lorelai, but I am 100% with her on keeping Rory separate  from her romantic partners. It's just common sense, especially since her partners are men. And initially, she agreed with Anna having the same approach with April. The drama that followed was IMO all just writers manufacturing drama for the sake of drama.

I agree with Lorelai on that too for Rory and April. After awhile though they should have asked April if she was ready to meet Lorelai or not. She was twelve and later thirteen. She had gotten to know Luke for awhile and knew he was engaged. It is weird for her not to have met Lorelai. 

• Like 4
(edited)

This may not make any sense to anyone else.

Rewatching the “why did you drop out of Yale?” episode. After numerous Rory/Logan conversations, I miss the cadence of Rory/Jess. Logan and Rory sound the same, on the same pitch. Rory’s higher speed and Jess’s low notes just sound better. 

This is a new thought after years of watching and rewatching. Had to share.

Also, I busted my foot and I’m on painkillers. Inspiration I guess. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Chaser said:

This may not make any sense to anyway else.

Rewatching the “why did you drop out of Yale?” episode. After numerous Rory/Logan conversations, I miss the cadence of Rory/Jess. Logan and Rory sound the same, on the same pitch. Rory’s higher speed and Jess’s low notes just sound better. 

This is a new thought after years of watching and rewatching. Had to share.

Also, I busted my foot and I’m on painkillers. Inspiration I guess. 

It makes sense that Jess is the one to break through to her. He's the only person she knows that had zero drive, ambition, plans or direction. And he wrote a book that just got published.  She expected him to be the same lost and going nowhere person. But nope in the couple years since she last saw him he pulled himself together and wrote a book. While she's now the one with no drive, ambition, plans or directions. She dropped out of college and is doing absolutely nothing with her time. I don't think it anyone else to get through to her. Although Lane going on tour with her band should have given her a jolt. It didn't. 

• Like 4

All that. Jess also had a combination Rory needed; he knew her well and he had an outside perspective. He didn’t know about what happened with Mitch, and stealing a boat, but all that didn’t really matter. He knew Rory and he knew what she was doing wasn’t her. He wasn’t going to be delicate about it. 

It’s unfortunate she also didn’t realize Logan was a jerk. I don’t recall ever being a big Logan fan but rewatching it, I really dislike him and don’t find him and Rory have a lot of chemistry.

I’m determined to make it through the last two seasons this time, but April and Christopher are making me think bad words. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Chaser said:

It’s unfortunate she also didn’t realize Logan was a jerk. I don’t recall ever being a big Logan fan but rewatching it, I really dislike him and don’t find him and Rory have a lot of chemistry.

I always hated Logan.

I’m determined to make it through the last two seasons this time, but April and Christopher are making me think bad words. 

Those are hard seasons to get through. I usually skip them for my sanity.

• Like 1

I had a friend that was very much Team Logan (I sent her sympathies after A Year In The Life). I was Team Jess. We had common ground over our hatred of Dean though.

I’m not anti Logan. He has his moments. They just don’t make up for his lows and what he brought into the show. I hate the Life and Death Brigade.

• Like 2
(edited)

If they had kept Dean as the good boyfriend; kind, protective, and attentive. I would have understood Rory a little more in S4. As it was, Dean was awful and now Rory was awful. 

That said, it did give me one of my favorite ‘Mom Lorelai” moments. The scene when she walked in on them and wouldn’t let Rory make it okay.

Edited by Chaser

Back to S6, I understand Lorelai needing to resolve things with Rory before getting married. She was so happy planning everything and so excited to get married. I hate April. I hate that I wanted to throw tomatoes at Luke. 

Underrated acting moment this season. Lorelai staying up with Paul Anka and being in tears over him/everything else. And Luke coming down to comfort her….I hate April. And Anna.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Dean started out okay, then, for some reason, the Palladinos decided to dumb him down and make him a green-eyed monster.  

This! ^ When Rory first met Dean he was well read and movie knowledgeable (knew the Rosemary’s Baby reference). He wore a leather jacket. He was the new kid from a big city. To be far, Rory gave him reason to be jealous when she started hanging out with Jess!

I never hated April, I did hate that they introduced the character to begin with and Luke not even telling Lorelai about her. A much better way to do that whole thing would have been if Luke told Lorelai that “this kid came in and took my hair”. And then weeks later, tell her, “hey, remember that? She’s my daughter!”

• Like 3

My first thought was the Dean character downgrade was they were doing the super lazy writing tool of making the current love interest unlikable so that the new one looks so appealing. 

Now I know the characters saw no issue with Dean’s characters and even used others to justify or excuse it (cough Lorelai).

• Like 2
20 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

This! ^ When Rory first met Dean he was well read and movie knowledgeable (knew the Rosemary’s Baby reference). He wore a leather jacket. He was the new kid from a big city. To be far, Rory gave him reason to be jealous when she started hanging out with Jess!

I never hated April, I did hate that they introduced the character to begin with and Luke not even telling Lorelai about her. A much better way to do that whole thing would have been if Luke told Lorelai that “this kid came in and took my hair”. And then weeks later, tell her, “hey, remember that? She’s my daughter!”

Yeah he was well read until suddenly he wasn't when Jess came on the scene. They decided to dumb him down and make him less likeable. Which is ironic because Jess was completely unlikeable wanting Rory and messing with Dean. Dean was unreasonable because a jerk was moving in on on his girlfriend. Although Dean really should have been mad at Rory because she didn't care. That was the time to break up with her. They didn't need to do any of that to break them up. People especially teens break up.  Rory fell for someone else. It sucks but it happens. They didn't need to dumb Dean down.

21 hours ago, Chaser said:

I had a friend that was very much Team Logan (I sent her sympathies after A Year In The Life). I was Team Jess. We had common ground over our hatred of Dean though.

I’m not anti Logan. He has his moments. They just don’t make up for his lows and what he brought into the show. I hate the Life and Death Brigade.

The one moment I had interested in Logan was when Rory was talking to her mom about whether she thought she took chances or not. Which Rory never really did. She never tried anything new. Logan encouraged her to try new things. But that ended up getting drunk all the time and hanging out with his stupid friends who were also assholes. It was also really boring. 

I didn't hate April or Anna in the original show. Why? They were quite a lot like Rory and Lorelai (which just shows that Luke has a type). I didn't like the custody battle in season 7 which just looks like a conflict for the sake of conflict, but then I didn't like most of the season 7 plotlines anyway.

Now, April in the revival is another matter, I hate what they turned her into, basically the sum of everything that is to dislike about that age group mixed together. I wouldn't last 10 minutes in the room with her.

You know, April wasn't as bad as I remembered on rewatch. And I like Luke being a girl dad. Anna was a lot worse for me. I hate the 'keeping a kid secret and then acting like the other parent has no rights and should respect all their choices' attitude. 

I'm going to disagree on Lorelai and Anna. Lorelai always put Christopher and Rory's relationship in their hands. She didn't stand in the way and encouraged Chris when he tried to be a part of Rory's life. When Rory took issue with Christopher it was based on his actions, not Lorelai's. 

• Applause 3