Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6

• Start Topic

(edited)

I checked 3 times and apparently we don't have a season 6 thread for some reason, and after watching "Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out " I have a mighty need!

I believe "Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out" is the least flattering episode for Logan up until this point in a season that as a whole doesn't seem to be paint the Rory/Logan pairing in the best light. Even as Rory gushes and falls fast and hard for him and his lifestyle (I don't blame her!), imo, Lorelai's disapproval always looms in the background of the narrative.

The hard drinking as a coping mechanism is the most obvious red flag, but not the only one. But I would be surprised if Logan hadn't grown up to have a serious drinking problem in a another show that's not this one. But I very much doubt the revival would dare to go there. In contrast, Jess is shown daintly sipping his one drink.

The fight in "LMHYBRO" is the culmination of has been building up for several episodes: the partying has lost it's appeal to Rory and boy is Logan a major jerk to Jess. I don't remember him being quite this bad. Maybe I was previously more forgiving to him because there's something about Matt Czuchry that makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt and look things from his point of view, but also the Logan that stuck in my memory is the generic, at times way-too-good-to-be-true-college-boyfriend from S7, but when it comes to Jess it's dowright embarrassing how threatened he is, and how desperate he comes across throwing a bunch of author names around.

I also really didn't remember Jess indirectly caused Logan and Rory to break-up. And yes, i'm calling it a break-up. What the hell is "break" anyway? Let alone an unspoken one after a huge fight? Of course, Logan should have had enough decency to actually confirm they were over before jumping in bed with a harem but I don't blame him for thinking they were broken up.

Last but not least, the Rory/Jess interactions are just beautiful. They seem almost in awe at seeing each other again and immediately fall back in their banter. The fact that Jess is the one that inspires Rory to go back to Yale is simply perfect. 

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 7

I think my favorite Jess line in that episode was when he's finally had enough of Logan and asks who he should make the book out to. "The blond d**k at Yale?"

I also enjoyed the Lorelai/Luke interactions in this episode. I'd go so far to say that this is my favorite season 6 episode and up there in the series

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I think underneath the Rory/Logan fight was Logan's slight disappointment in Rory for dropping out of Yale - that looms over the first half of season 6, imo. But being Logan, he doesn't confront her about anything. Then not only does Jess, a guy she has this deep connection with, show up, but Rory tries to blame Logan for her decision to drop out and well, most of her life since mid-season 5 (very meta!). And Jess's appearance gets Rory to get herself back on track to where Logan didn't. 

I love watching unlikable Rory, tough love Lorelai, and controlling Emily/Richard, though, so I rewatch the first half of season 6 a lot more than most.  Except for "Always a Godmother, Never a God," ha. That one I can do without. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I think underneath the Rory/Logan fight was Logan's slight disappointment in Rory for dropping out of Yale (...) but Rory tries to blame Logan for her decision to drop out and well,

There's an underlining thread through season 6 up until this point of Logan being subtly unimpressed/disappointed by Rory chosing to drop out of Yale and becoming like one of thousands of girls he grew up with. And I imagine more than her drifting away from the girl he first got interested in, what really bothers him is the idea that he might have been the cause of it.

Lorelai said as much to him at the begining of season 6 and I agree that was a huge sore spot so Rory going even near it caused him to blow up. I give MC all the praise because Logan at the hands of any other actor wouldn't have lasted beyond this point. But he really manages to get that Logan in reality has a lot of self-loathing, imo, and uses that in his performance. 

In that regard, I believe Logan is extremelly similar to Lorelai and I think Rory recognized that on some level and that's what made her stick around with him for as long as she did.

• Love 6

The fight in "LMHYBRO" is the culmination of has been building up for several episodes: the partying has lost it's appeal to Rory and boy is Logan a major jerk to Jess. I don't remember him being quite this bad. Maybe I was previously more forgiving to him because there's something about Matt Czuchry that makes me want to give him the benefit of the doubt and look things from his point of view, but also the Logan that stuck in my memory is the generic, at times way-too-good-to-be-true-college-boyfriend from S7, but when it comes to Jess it's dowright embarrassing how threatened he is, and how desperate he comes across throwing a bunch of author names around.

And yet, in that moment, he reminded me of nothing so much as earlier-seasons Jess, trying desperately to prove how much smarter and better he was than Dean!

• Love 3

And yet, in that moment, he reminded me of nothing so much as earlier-seasons Jess, trying desperately to prove how much smarter and better he was than Dean!

Only Jess never seemed desperate, IMO, because he was smarter than Dean and knew it, but Logan trying to go against a 21/22 year old published author by trying to prove he's great reader? That was hilarious to me!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, moonb said:

I love watching unlikable Rory, tough love Lorelai, and controlling Emily/Richard, though, so I rewatch the first half of season 6 a lot more than most.

I love early S6 as well. Until the aliens come and spike the SH water supply with drugs while abducting people and performing lobotomies.

• Love 3
(edited)

Nitpick Season 6: Luke gives TJ the contracting job because Liz cried, and Rory gives him the face and he tells her he and Lorelai are engaged, yet when Lorelai is crying out on the street with her ultimatum, he does nothing. Stupid stupid mischaracterizations.

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

Nitpick Season 6: Luke gives TJ the contracting job because Liz cried, and Rory gives him the face and he tells her he and Lorelai are engaged, yet when Lorelai is crying out on the street with her ultimatum, he does nothing. Stupid stupid mischaracterizations.

But the ultimatum was after the aliens came. The other 2 incedents were before that.

• Love 3

I kinda love Logan's jerkiness to Jess even though I wasn't much of a Logan fan at this point of the series. There's something so satisfying about another character giving Jess the kind of attitude he gave everyone who wasn't Rory. From Logan's pov it must have looked a little odd. Rory's h.s. boyfriend just shows up out of the blue while Logan is supposed to be away on his trip. I like Logan's attitude with Rory too. The "break-up" should have been clarified more but then again, half of the plots on this show stem from miscommunication. 

I thought Logan was less likable in season 5 but maybe that's just me. 

I like seeing Rory's alienation from Emily too, it sure took her long enough. I am a little surprised that Rory thought Emily wouldn't try to control her like she did with Lorelai. True, Rory's mostly seen the warm & fuzzy Emily but it's like Rory didn't believe her mother when told about Emily's past behaviour.

• Love 3

I thought Jess was done just right, where he would be in his life, how he would react to Rory's choices and her lifestyle, how he would react to Logan. Jess hated Stars Hollow with the fire of a thousand suns and he was always totally alienated from the privileged side of Rory's life. And then Rory's indulging in that lifestyle and drifting aimlessly around. Of course he's majorly unimpressed with it all. Logan's being a tool, but Logan's not the problem. In their ways, both Jess and Logan tell Rory that the problem is all her. Agree that Logan is also subtly disappointed in Rory's decision making in season 6.

That's also why I always thought that it would make sense that Jess stays in touch with Rory, both because I can see them growing up into adults who could still find common ground and because of the Luke connection, but nothing more. They're ultimately too different as people, and I don't see Jess as someone who is willing to contort himself in ways that would make him fit into all that privilege that surrounds her.

• Love 4
(edited)

I liked season 6 to a degree, however so much if it seemed rushed, desperate, overboard and bordering on angry many times.

The stubbornness of Lorelai and Rory not talking then basically ruining the baptism. That was soo selfish.

Lorelai proposing to Luke.  That was so unromantic, they don't even hug or kiss until the gazebo. It didn't feel genuine or heartfelt. Just a quick bandaid for Lorelai.

I didn't like Rory being disrespectful to Emily. She came across as entitled and spoiled to me. They provided her with a nice house and a job. She disrespected them by having Logan sleep over and by lying to them where she was when she told them she was sleeping at Paris. 21 or not if you live at a relatives home you respect their rules or move out.

I am not a Luke fan, but they went out of their way to paint him as a grump and a bad match for Lorelai. I think that was by design to set up season 7.  He didn't even ask how much or offer Logan any money for the necklace. It would be the first thing someone would ask after accepting such a generous offer.

I thought they went overboard with Logan banging all of the bridesmaids!

Don't even get me started with April. 

My favorite episodes is Friday Night's Alright for Fighting that season.

I guess season six just felt forced many times to me, and a lot of the warmth and charm was missing.

Edited by CheeseBurgh
Mistakes
  • Love 4

Lorelai proposing to Luke.  That was so unromantic, they don't even hug or kiss until the gazebo. It didn't feel genuine or heartfelt. Just a quick bandaid for Lorelai.

I'm not a Luke/Lorelai shipper but I actually didn't mind that. Yes, it was awkward and unromantic but I think it fit both Lorelai and Luke's personalities and I did believe these two were commited to each other. YMMV, of course.

• Love 4
(edited)

I reached the second half of season 6 and, boy, is Logan and Rory getting back together...gimmicky. From him throwing his money around to buying Rory outrageous gifts, to going to Lorelai (!!!!!) and getting that frigging letter, to helping Rory save the day at the Yale Daily news. And of course, they immediately start living together which I get was more a practical thing than anything but wow! Everything feels really, really fake and inorganic. And when you keep in mind during the whole time Logan was trying to win back Rory, he was sitting on the information he slept with a bunch of girls during the 5 minutes they were apart? Kinda all around gross and manipulative because he ought to have known no way in hell Rory would have given him another chance with she had known that originally.

Rory is also all around almost unrecognizable what with how terribly she treats R and E in regards to wanting Christopher to pay for Yale. It's unnaceptable that Lorelai was the one who had to break the news for them. I also didn't care for how Rory also needed Lorelai to suggest invinting her Dad, whose paying for the whole thing, to lunch at Yale sometime or get him a frigging sweat shirt. The lack of empathy she displays this season and the way she learns to turn on the charm to "take over" and lead people into doing what she wants (the DAR functions, the Yale Daily news staff) kinda reminds me of an article I read about sociopathic tendencies.

I really hate blaming stuff on Logan but it's hard not to see what huge influence he has been on Rory's personality.

But there's a lack of empathy all around. Luke leaving a message on Lorelai's machine that they ought to meet in the diner after April's gone? Come on! I know a lot has been said that Lorelai should have been more open to Luke about being unhappy but I really feel like Luke shouldn't have put her in that position in the first place.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

I reached the second half of season 6 and, boy, is Logan and Rory getting back together...gimmicky. From him throwing his money around to buying Rory outrageous gifts, to going to Lorelai (!!!!!) and getting that frigging letter, to helping Rory save the day at the Yale Daily news. And of course, they immediately start living together which I get was more a practical thing than anything but wow! Everything feels really, really fake and inorganic. And when you keep in mind during the whole time Logan was trying to win back Rory, he was sitting on the information he slept with a bunch of girls during the 5 minutes they were apart? Kinda all around gross and manipulative because he ought to have known no way in hell Rory would have given him another chance with she had known that originally.

Rory is also all around almost unrecognizable what with how terribly she treats R and E in regards to wanting Christopher to pay for Yale. It's unnaceptable that Lorelai was the one who had to break the news for them. I also didn't care for how Rory also needed Lorelai to suggest invinting her Dad, whose paying for the whole thing, to lunch at Yale sometime or get him a frigging sweat shirt. The lack of empathy she displays this season and the way she learns to turn on the charm to "take over" and lead people into doing what she wants (the DAR functions, the Yale Daily news staff) kinda reminds me of an article I read about sociopathic tendencies.

I really hate blaming stuff on Logan but it's hard not to see what huge influence he has been on Rory's personality.

But there's a lack of empathy all around. Luke leaving a message on Lorelai's machine that they ought to meet in the diner after April's gone? Come on! I know a lot has been said that Lorelai should have been more open to Luke about being unhappy but I really feel like Luke shouldn't have put her in that position in the first place.

The rather sad part of Rory finding out about the bridesmaids is earlier in that episode she and Logan are so sweet together. He encourages her about her debate and they seem in a very happy place in their relationship. 

I think Rory's behaviour towards the grandparents is believable. From the beginning of the series we see them treat her differently than they do Lorelai. Rory seemed genuinely surprised that they would have problems with her sleeping with Logan in the poolhouse, or Emily's controlling behaviour about the D.A.R. She's Rory, after all. How could they be so mean to her? /sarcasm 

Chris told the girls he wouldn't interfere and I think Rory is respecting that (and probably welcomes it after her experience with the grandparents). She's used to her Dad not having much of a presence in her life so she doesn't want to push a relationship. Chris is similar to her in that way. Lorelai is the one who encourages them both to having a father/daughter relationship in Rory's college years. I doubt they would have much interaction if not for that. 

Absolutely re the Luke/Lorelai plot. Every time I watch the latter half of season 6, I think why is she putting up with this? Granted I tend to side with Lorelai on most things but I can't imagine anyone in a serious relationship being ok with that arrangement. 

• Love 2
(edited)

One of the bridesmaids ("Walker") is played by the same actress that plays the girl that asks Rory help to pick a lipstick in the Cotillion episode! It could easily be the same character as well.

What I didn't get was that Logan knew Rory was going to the wedding and Honor would most probably ask her to hang out with them all. Didn't he think it might come out??

• Love 2
(edited)

It's insane and incredibly dumb either way, but he probably didn't expect Honor to ask Rory to join her and pictured Rory having found herself a nook to get some work done thus would be isolated from the bridesmaids.

I definitely don't think he truly bought his rationalization that he did nothing wrong because he thought they were broken up. You only have to watch the episode Rory first returns to Yale and runs into Logan, imo. He greets her and acts around her super casually, like he was done cooling off from a fight and they are still together.

"In my mind I was not cheating on you.". Good God.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, cuddlingcrowley said:

"In my mind I was not cheating on you.". Good God.

Mmm, so Logan has a bit of Lorelai in him. Interesting.

I actually get that in Logan's mind he wasn't cheating on Rory, simply because he was just going back to his old casual lifestyle where he did whatever he wanted with whomever he wanted. So in order to be with Rory he had to change his behavior but when they weren't speaking it felt natural to go back to his old life without considering whether or not it was appropriate. The thing that bugs me is that Rory let him talk his way out of it so easily without listening to her own feelings.  Although I think that is her pattern while she was with Logan, probably the main reason I don't enjoy their relationship.  It definitely should have been a red flag that she and Logan were very different people.

I also think that applies to Lorelai, but just in terms of Christopher.  She went to him for comfort and accepted the same degree of comfort he'd offered her before.  I don't think she went to him because it would hurt Luke the most, or because no one else was available, but because he was the one person who could give her what she needed.  I don't think that makes it right, of course, but it does explain why to her it didn't feel like cheating.

Well we know that in took Rory a while to really forgive Logan. I think what really bothered Rory was not so much that he went back to his old ways, but that he did it so casually. To Logan, it was just sex, but to Rory, you only make love to someone you care about. IMO she thought, "how could he so casually sleep with someone after professing love for me." 

What I found horrible was how Logan tried to blame the bridesmaids and basically referred to them as sluts. His treatment of them would have been harder for me to forgive if I were Rory, than the actual cheating. 

• Love 6

I agree Logan did  it very casually, making it clear they were two very different people.  I just wish Rory hadn't just gone home with him like everything was all right--at least take a few days to think it over.  Of course, I'm also of the opinion that moving in with your boyfriend because you don't have anywhere else to go is a bad idea.  She could have always gone back to Stars Hollow until she found somewhere closer.  

Blaming the bridesmaids certainly made Logan look worse.  And very sexist, given his own behavior in the past.

• Love 3

Blaming the bridesmaids certainly made Logan look worse.  And very sexist, given his own behavior in the past.

Yes, he repeteadly called them terrible things and thus came off looking really, really bad.

The thing that bugs me is that Rory let him talk his way out of it so easily without listening to her own feelings.  Although I think that is her pattern while she was with Logan, probably the main reason I don't enjoy their relationship.  It definitely should have been a red flag that she and Logan were very different people.

I definitely agree with this. It's what I meant when I mentioned how gimmicky it was them getting back together the first time and the pattern goes on and on. Rory is having a hard time forgiving him for the bridesmaids and trying to figure out what she really feels so of course Logan almost dies and all is forgiven.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, shron17 said:

The thing that bugs me is that Rory let him talk his way out of it so easily without listening to her own feelings.  Although I think that is her pattern while she was with Logan, probably the main reason I don't enjoy their relationship.  It definitely should have been a red flag that she and Logan were very different people.

I also think that applies to Lorelai, but just in terms of Christopher.  She went to him for comfort and accepted the same degree of comfort he'd offered her before.  I don't think she went to him because it would hurt Luke the most, or because no one else was available, but because he was the one person who could give her what she needed.  I don't think that makes it right, of course, but it does explain why to her it didn't feel like cheating.

I was really surprised Rory went along with that. Her subsequent avoidance of Logan while she was still mad made sense but it would have been nice to see her stay angry for awhile. I do think he thought they broke up. They are college kids. At that age, not calling or texting for a few days after a fight can be construed as a break-up.

Can you imagine how bad Lorelai would have felt if Chris had said no? Luke has already said no to her ultimatum, so she goes to Christopher to feel better. If he had turned her down I think she would've felt completely rejected. Lorelai using sex with Chris for comfort had already been established as one of her patterns so I wasn't surprised she went to him. I was disappointed though because that made it more about her pain over the break-up than wanting Chris back. 

11 hours ago, Aloeonatable said:

To Logan, it was just sex, but to Rory, you only make love to someone you care about. IMO she thought, "how could he so casually sleep with someone after professing love for me." 

That's true. Rory does seem to think of sex as a Very Big Deal. Probably why she couldn't adjust to the casual relationship they started out with.

9 hours ago, hippielamb said:

Can you imagine how bad Lorelai would have felt if Chris had said no? Luke has already said no to her ultimatum, so she goes to Christopher to feel better. If he had turned her down I think she would've felt completely rejected. Lorelai using sex with Chris for comfort had already been established as one of her patterns so I wasn't surprised she went to him. I was disappointed though because that made it more about her pain over the break-up than wanting Chris back.

Except turning her down for sex and turning her down for comfort are two very different things. There is more than one way to comfort someone than having sex with them. If, according to his fans, Chris knows her better than anyone why didn't he recognize the state she was? Why wasn't he putting her welfare first for a change and think that maybe sex isn't the best solution here when she is clearly not in a state where she can make a rational decision? He could have been holding her all night (appropriate physical comfort) and then fallen alseep with her and I wouldn't have a problem. It's just him always taking advantage when Lorelai is down that is appaling. Don't be a pig, be a friend. How hard is that?

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Smad said:

Except turning her down for sex and turning her down for comfort are two very different things. There is more than one way to comfort someone than having sex with them. If, according to his fans, Chris knows her better than anyone why didn't he recognize the state she was? Why wasn't he putting her welfare first for a change and think that maybe sex isn't the best solution here when she is clearly not in a state where she can make a rational decision? He could have been holding her all night (appropriate physical comfort) and then fallen alseep with her and I wouldn't have a problem. It's just him always taking advantage when Lorelai is down that is appaling. Don't be a pig, be a friend. How hard is that?

Perhaps. But comfort sex is different than having someone hold you all night. If Chris had done that, I think Lorelai would have felt rejected again. She wanted to feel better, at least temporarily. 

8 minutes ago, hippielamb said:

Perhaps. But comfort sex is different than having someone hold you all night. If Chris had done that, I think Lorelai would have felt rejected again. She wanted to feel better, at least temporarily. 

I guess it's too much to ask of Chris then to think ahead. If he had her best interest at heart wouldn't it cross his mind that doing this might look very different to her in the morning when she is less upset? More importantly what she would think of herself the next morning. You don't let people make these decisions when they are as upset as Lorelai was. Be a shoulder to cry on, drink with her until she passes out, eat gallons of ice cream or something other than jump into bed with someone. If you really care about the other person you protect them, especially from making decisions that might not be good for them.

• Love 6

If you really care about the other person you protect them, especially from making decisions that might not be good for them.

I agree, but I think Christopher's maturity stalled in high school (at least with respect to Lorelai) and he's not capable of thinking that way.  For him, with 'Lor' it's always a regression to high school - how to get her into bed with him, how to get her to live the fairy tale fantasy of get married and live happily ever after. I know a lot of people don't like him, or question his feelings for her, but to me, he just seems emotionally stunted.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eeksquire said:

I agree, but I think Christopher's maturity stalled in high school (at least with respect to Lorelai) and he's not capable of thinking that way.  For him, with 'Lor' it's always a regression to high school - how to get her into bed with him, how to get her to live the fairy tale fantasy of get married and live happily ever after. I know a lot of people don't like him, or question his feelings for her, but to me, he just seems emotionally stunted.

I agree on all of your points. It wasn't just his emotional stunted condition that really turned off with Chris's character, but it was his character in general. How many times did he let the entire "fairy tale" marriage idea dictate his life? How come he couldn't have at least tried to be in Rory's life more? Why did he just immediately let his parents walk all over Lorelai and Rory without a thought or tell Emily that it was time to move on with the "picture perfect life" that she kept trying to force on them. When he was old enough, successful enough and sadly got another woman pregnant years later that he did try "marry her and life will be great" and it turned out to be bullshit! I'm sure Chris could have been shot in the foot by someone and he still keep coming back with: "But we belong together!" 

• Love 5

Lorelai's sexuality is hers to own, not Chris' to protect. They had a history of casual sex, so I don't know why it's up to him to think "Hey, maybe she really doesn't want it this time even if she's saying she is."  She made a decision to have sex with Chris, so I don't see how any of that is on him.

17 minutes ago, deaja said:

Lorelai's sexuality is hers to own, not Chris' to protect. They had a history of casual sex, so I don't know why it's up to him to think "Hey, maybe she really doesn't want it this time even if she's saying she is."  She made a decision to have sex with Chris, so I don't see how any of that is on him.

If all parties involved are capable of making a rational decision I'm in full agreement with that. However it can be argued that Lorelai's state of mind that night didn't exactly scream 'sane'. Someone who actually knows her should recognize that and maybe take the highroad and just be there for her. And if she still wants to have sex in the morning or when she is of clearer thought then I wouldn't have a problem with Christopher's actions.

This is no different to me then getting drunk in a bar with a heartbroken friend. Then the drunken friend wants to drive home. Would you let them drive in the state they are in? Of course you wouldn't.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, deaja said:

I absolutely agree. Lorelai didn't go over there to cuddle. She's an adult and knew what she was doing.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Smad said:

This is no different to me then getting drunk in a bar with a heartbroken friend. Then the drunken friend wants to drive home. Would you let them drive in the state they are in? Of course you wouldn't.

She was in no way out of her mind, under the influence of a substance, or unable to consent to anything the way a drunken person was.  It is in no way comparable to drunk driving - a felony where she could easily kill someone or herself.  The worst thing that could happen is that she "might" regret it the next day?  That could apply to almost any decision.  

48 minutes ago, deaja said:

She was in no way out of her mind, under the influence of a substance, or unable to consent to anything the way a drunken person was.  It is in no way comparable to drunk driving - a felony where she could easily kill someone or herself.  The worst thing that could happen is that she "might" regret it the next day?  That could apply to almost any decision.  

She was a mess and some see it as Chris took advantage of her in a weaken state. However,  none of us really know for sure. Lorelai didn't ever hold it against Chris and made no excuses for her behavior except she needed for it to be over.

• Love 2

New and Improved Lorelai

I don't think the grandparents are entirely wrong here. If Rory wants to take time off, she should be able to do that. I am glad that they support her decision but they shouldn't make it too comfortable either. I don't agree with Lorelai shutting Rory out. I know she's hurt and feels betrayed but it's hard to hear her say it's tough love unless Rory goes back to college. I adore Lorelai, she's why I love this show so much. She's drawing a line in the sand that doesn't need to happen. OY 

• Love 1

I can only see the senior Gilmores total betrayal of Lorelai.  They sat in their dining room, agreed with her on the need for Rory to maintain the course, and then when Rory did her Boo-Hoo Poor Little Misunderstood Child act they completely screwed Lorelai.  They could have at least called her, told her Rory was there and discussed what they thought should be done and gotten her input.  They made all of the decisions with not a single thought of the fact that she might feel as though she'd been stabbed in the back.

I, for one, was mortified with that crap when that episode aired.  Of course my blood pressure was already through the roof with the insufferable behavior of Finn and his sidekick at the police station.  That and the Felon Party sent my hate meter for Rory off the dial.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I can only see the senior Gilmores total betrayal of Lorelai.  They sat in their dining room, agreed with her on the need for Rory to maintain the course, and then when Rory did her Boo-Hoo Poor Little Misunderstood Child act they completely screwed Lorelai.  They could have at least called her, told her Rory was there and discussed what they thought should be done and gotten her input.  They made all of the decisions with not a single thought of the fact that she might feel as though she'd been stabbed in the back.

I, for one, was mortified with that crap when that episode aired.  Of course my blood pressure was already through the roof with the insufferable behavior of Finn and his sidekick at the police station.  That and the Felon Party sent my hate meter for Rory off the dial.

I get why Lorelai is pissed at them, she should be. Over the years they have tried to undermine her role as Rory's parent. She trusted they would back her up for Rory's benefit and they blindsided her. It's hard for me to side with Lorelai saying to her kid, you can't live at home if you drop out. Obviously, Rory is misguided and she should be at Yale. Lorelai's reaction bothers me. It's one of only two times in this series that I can't defend her actions. 

• Love 4

I'm a little surprised that Rory can run off to her grandparents' house, refuse to explain anything to Lorelai at the end of A House is Not a Home, and  still expect Lorelai to back her up and support her at her hearing. 

If I could rewrite season 6's L/R fallout, I'd like both Lorelai and her parents to deal with treating Rory like she's not to blame for any of this, though it's in line with ultra-special Rory of later seasons Lorelai goes overboard in blaming Richard and Emily for being what they are in ANAIL, but she doesn't blame Rory much.   And clearly Emily will go along with Richard wants instead of backing up Lorelai - that's not out of character. But I don't believe that Rory's crying meltdown would have had the same effect had Emily seen Rory first instead of Richard. Rory knows how Lorelai and probably Emily will react to her taking time off - she cried with Richard because she thinks he can't refuse her.  There's still a tendency throughout this storyline to treat Rory like she's much younger. I don't think Rory's a manipulative sociopath - I think her crisis is genuine - but Lorelai and her grandparents coddle her right down to Richard and Emily thinking that a 20-year-old can't possibly be sexually active. 

• Love 4

Oh, season 6. You tricky, painful, heartbreaking thing. 

I get Lorelai feeling betrayed by Richard and Emily. It was a shitty move on their part to let Rory move in and then to have Lorelai find out when she gets there without a heads up or anything. Especially since they had all three decided on a plan together. It is very much a betrayal. But with that being said, Lorelai's insistence on not talking to Rory again until she got herself back to Yale was not a good move on her part. Yes, Rory was misguided and sheltered and entitled at times, but it was one of the very few times that I felt Lorelai's love for Rory was conditional, and for all the faults Lorelai has, being a conditional parent was never one I found. Until this season.

That being said, I really don't think Lorelai would want Rory doing something that made her miserable so I like to think with time, Lorelai could have gotten past it had Rory never gone back to Yale. Or any school. It's kind of funny in that as much as Lorelai tries to not be her parents, Lorelai as a mother expected her daughter to go to college just like Emily and Richard expected Lorelai to do. 

I mean, look, I don't think Rory handled the situation well either. Honestly nobody did. The season starts out with Emily and Richard going into this arrangement knowing it would be temporary to them, but somewhere along the line it changed. At least for Emily it did. Like she expected Rory to stay there forever.

Sigh.

While ANAIL was a mostly somber episode, I did enjoy Paris as comic relief. Her "Who are you?" to Luke and then barely letting him get a word in edgewise. Hehe.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, JaggedLilPill said:

Oh, season 6. You tricky, painful, heartbreaking thing. 

I get Lorelai feeling betrayed by Richard and Emily. It was a shitty move on their part to let Rory move in and then to have Lorelai find out when she gets there without a heads up or anything. Especially since they had all three decided on a plan together. It is very much a betrayal. But with that being said, Lorelai's insistence on not talking to Rory again until she got herself back to Yale was not a good move on her part. Yes, Rory was misguided and sheltered and entitled at times, but it was one of the very few times that I felt Lorelai's love for Rory was conditional, and for all the faults Lorelai has, being a conditional parent was never one I found. Until this season.

That being said, I really don't think Lorelai would want Rory doing something that made her miserable so I like to think with time, Lorelai could have gotten past it had Rory never gone back to Yale. Or any school. It's kind of funny in that as much as Lorelai tries to not be her parents, Lorelai as a mother expected her daughter to go to college just like Emily and Richard expected Lorelai to do. 

I mean, look, I don't think Rory handled the situation well either. Honestly nobody did. The season starts out with Emily and Richard going into this arrangement knowing it would be temporary to them, but somewhere along the line it changed. At least for Emily it did. Like she expected Rory to stay there forever.

Sigh.

While ANAIL was a mostly somber episode, I did enjoy Paris as comic relief. Her "Who are you?" to Luke and then barely letting him get a word in edgewise. Hehe.

And then Luke agreeing with everything Paris was saying! :D I did think it was sweet that Paris was freaking out because she felt like she was losing her friend.

• Love 5

Rory needed a therapist and perhaps a psychiatric evaluation. I say that as someone who has a therapist and a psychiatrist lol! Neither Gilmore side's plan was going to solve the root issue, which was an obvious mental breakdown due to M Huntz's words and possibly getting bogged down in school.  It didn't help that Rory was so fucking coddled.

anyway.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, moonb said:

I'm a little surprised that Rory can run off to her grandparents' house, refuse to explain anything to Lorelai at the end of A House is Not a Home, and  still expect Lorelai to back her up and support her at her hearing. 

It's almost like she's totally entitled and bratty by then or something. 

3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I love it that Paris can steamroll even RantLuke.  She's a terror!

Compared to the early season diner as bordello scene, this was already weird S6 transformed Luke. It  would have played much funnier if the two of them had launched off into their own plan and made Lorelai catch up with them. Paris was never one to not execute her own plan and Luke was never one to give up mid-rant. Throw Jess in the mix and it could have been Emmy-worthy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Lorelai completely manufactured her own unhappiness. The absolutely horrible responses of her parents and Rory could have been saved if she wasn't S6 tough love Lorelai. 

Lorelai had no traction except for her loving influence on Rory, and she threw it away with the ultimatum.

Rory was over 18, nearly 21, and could decide for herself if she wanted to stay in school. Her education was financed by her grandparents, so Lorelai had no leverage there either.

Lorelai's ultimatum was an impotent reaction to her powerlessness. She had no power except the permission to live at the Crap Shack and enjoy the presence of Lorelai Gilmore. That's not likely to be a big draw for someone who's recently discovered wealthy society, has a rich boyfriend her mother doesn't like and probably like Emily and Richard wouldn't be willing for them to shack up at the Crap Shack. 

A major part of Lorelai's charm is her impulsiveness. If that's not combined with flexibility and the willingness to change her behaviors, impulsiveness with ultimatums can create a very lonely person. Why in the world ASP chose to beat up on her like this is beyond me.

• Love 5

I like this take on Lorelai, though I'm sympathetic to her reaction to Rory's crisis. How much can this also apply to Rory? Yes, she's being taken care of, big time, where her material needs are concerned. And the reason she can decide for herself whether to take in school or not is because she has not one but really 2 backup plans: when Lorelai reacts badly, she goes to Emily and Richard; when things get tense there, she has a third option with either Lane or Logan and his buddies. And that's not counting Christopher's reappearance and $$$ to allow Rory to avoid her poor communication to her grandparents.

But her decision to drop out because of Mitchum's performance review is equally as impulsive as Lorelai's ultimatum, and I don't think she was prepared for the reality and isolation of the poolhouse experience when she said she needed some time. Emily's care of her has a lot of smothering, steamrolling aspects to it, after all, and Emily tends to ignore any protests. And any interaction with Paris, Logan and the Daily News would reinforce that loneliness since life at Yale has moved on without her.  It's telling that ANAIL shows Rory by herself watching the Graduate, since she feels alone and has no plan for herself until Emily and Richard give her one.

• Love 4

A side effect to the Yale ultimatum and the following six months without Rory was yet another period in which Rory and Luke did not reside in the same house, IIRC not even for one night. 

This event, and postponing the LL sexual relationship until Rory was back at school, and never seeing all three of them in the house overnight in S5 makes me think this separation was deliberate. Was there ever an explained reason for it, like maybe the broadcaster insisted on moral grounds? 

In real life, ultimatums about college, especially in the Ivy League or similar, can lead to suicide. I know this show wouldn't go there, but personally I totally get why Lorelai would be like you can't just laze around here. Fine. Rory could have gotten a job, taken classes at that community college Lorelai went to, and gotten intensive therapy. 

I think I'm gonna skip season 6 this go around because I really hate it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JayInChicago said:

In real life, ultimatums about college, especially in the Ivy League or similar, can lead to suicide. I know this show wouldn't go there, but personally I totally get why Lorelai would be like you can't just laze around here. Fine. Rory could have gotten a job, taken classes at that community college Lorelai went to, and gotten intensive therapy. 

I think I'm gonna skip season 6 this go around because I really hate it. 

Yes, real life is why I watch TV, to get a break from it.

I can also appreciate why Lorelai would make life not easy for Rory, but cutting her off from Mom's love is too harsh for one who has Emily as a mother and is frequently purported to be the best TV mother ever. Lorelai hurt herself more than she influenced Rory by this action. 

I'm getting practice at fast forwarding through the parts that give me GG trauma. 

• Love 5