Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

I just looked at her social media.  She says that her magazine has sold out in one week and will have another printing. Maybe they didn't print many.  The day after it came out I went to Walmart and saw only 7 copies.  Has anyone been to the merc?  

• Love 1

This poll made me realize how many good and bad shows we've missed in our house.  Between my husband's love for sports and my love for food shows (what few there are!), we've missed a lot of entertainment, apparently. 

I was glad to see that Ree was nominated in one category and wished her name had shown up on several others!  On one show recently, two of Ree's recipes were her mother's, and she mentioned her mother a couple of more times while putting the dishes together.  It made me think that her mother deserved a nomination for "Best Phantom Host."  Without her mother, there'd have been no show!

• Love 6

Just a reminder of the no political talk rule here at ptv. Anything about politics that isn't brought up on the show (twitter/Facebook don't count as on the show) will be removed. Thanks!!

She has pictures up of her 4th of July party.  She puts up a picture of MM's arms.  From a post last week of her new book, she showed pictures of MM from behind, including his bottom.  This must be how she keeps him, all of this ridiculous schoolgirl flattery.  He can't be very bright if he falls for it.

• Love 1

I think Ladd and Ree are genuinely in love with each other and have a very happy marriage. If you're going to have four kids in the middle of nowhere with no other adults around after hours, you'd better be compatible. 

(edited)

I'm sure that Ree and Ladd are genuinely in love. Even for appearances I have a hard time believing a couple would stay together long enough to have a college aged daughter if they didn't legitimately love each other. 

My issue with Ree and her family is that they appear so fake on television (and on her blog I'll bet although I'm not a reader of it) that it's hard to connect with any of them. I've never experienced that on a show the way I do with her. It's literally hard to even hate watch her anymore because she seems to be getting faker (YMMV). Most of the time I record her show and delete it without watching at this point.

The only person I've ever seen on that show with any genuine emotional landscape to me is her brother Mike. Even her and her family's interactions with him are faked for the camera IMO. I'm sure they care for and love him but you just don't see that ever even though you do see it from him. 

It's like they all see the camera and "get into character". Makes it hard to enjoy and/or root for them in any of things shown on screen. I mean I know it's only a "cooking" show but I still need to connect to it and I don't ever with her. It hasn't been that way since at least season 2 or 3.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 2

I'm glad that someone else noticed Ree becoming more fake.  I thought it was my imagination.  I wonder what the reason for it is. 

With Paige off to college soon, I wonder whether the girl gap will mean lots more of Hye.  I doubt the show would work with nothing but cowboys and boys at home.  I know that I couldn't enjoy it as much.  I think both of her girls are special and sweet, but I tend to favor Paige.  I'm really going to miss her helping her mother in the kitchen.  I'd be happy if Ree quit the show and the girls had one -- Paige and Alex in the kitchen, but please don't hire Hye's eye-batting daughter to assist!

• Love 2

We went out to lunch today and a tv behind me that my husband could see had on FN and PW. Since he never sees it at home, he started watching in morbid fascination, with comments like "who would eat that crap?" and "why does this woman have a cooking show?" Hee.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We went out to lunch today and a tv behind me that my husband could see had on FN and PW. Since he never sees it at home, he started watching in morbid fascination, with comments like "who would eat that crap?" and "why does this woman have a cooking show?" Hee.

It is fascinating to see someone observe her.  Last weekend my son saw her make Michelle Duggar's apple dumplings (the ones with crescent roll dough and Mountain Dew that are just as good as anything you'd find at a fine French restaurant), and he couldn't stop laughing.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Your husband is very lucky he didn't have to see Guy Fieri.

• Love 6

I don't watch this barf fest of a show anymore but come here occasionally to enjoy the snark. Those of you who frequent the Barefoot Contessa forum will remember that I recently posted this general Food Network link where a diligent poster shares ratings of the various FN shows. FN rakes in the advertising dollars with Ree Ree. They have relegated Ina to a crappy Sunday morning timeslot and have PW and The Kitchen crapfest on Saturday mornings, and reruns ad nauseum for PW. Dumbing down to the sheeple. TPTB's evil plan is working if you look at the ratings:

Hope I did the link right!

• Love 2
(edited)

That's just sad but not surprising.

Let's play a game to help ourselves try to make sense out of this travesty.

Pretend like you're a reporter on the streets and go up to a random person and ask them why they watch Ree's show.

How would they answer?

Here is my answer:

"She's living proof of the 'mer-kan dream."

TAG: filmnoire, lura, anneofcleves (anybody else!)

Tag other posters and GO!

Edited by grisgris
  • Love 3
(edited)

MAN  ON THE STREET INTERVIEW:

"Ree has taught me to save my mama's recipes.  They might mean a TV show and millions of dollars someday." 

TAG:  MaggieMae, grisgris (encore),film noire (encore), Totale, Anne of Cleves, (and anyone else)

Edited by Lura
tag
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, grisgris said:

"She makes real rib-stickin' food for REAL MEN!"

I'd love to hear her definition of "Real Men".  Men like Ladd?  Does she love him for his manliness or for this family's fortune?

• Love 2
On 7/9/2017 at 7:19 PM, grisgris said:

Pretend like you're a reporter on the streets and go up to a random person and ask them why they watch Ree's show.

How would they answer?

"You mean there is another choice?"

• Love 2

I noticed that there is no where for members of the public to write comments on her facebook page (I think the correct word is "the wall"?)  It used to be that she had a spot where one could leave comments, maybe I just missed it.  She has more stupid drooling comments about Ladd, when referring to a plastic wrap dispenser "the love of my life" (besides Ladd).  Barf, eye roll.  And more pictures of his arms.  She used to fixate on his butt, putting pictures of his butt everywhere including her cookbooks (!!!!!!!????????)  which was very low class, and very 6th grade schoolgirl behavior, but I noticed that she has been criticized for it, and so has stopped, and switched over to his arms.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I guess I must be the kind of person who believes that hope springs eternal.  Case in point:  When a new show comes along, I always have a sense of anticipation and hope that quirks from past seasons will all disappear.  How naïve can a person be???

Ree's new season/new show came on the other day.  There, in living color, stood Ree, wearing a brand new, Mexican print top in some of the most blinding colors yet to be seen!  OMG!  I kid you not!  Her hair, freshly dyed to bring out the orange, was the perfect topper for this riot of color.

Times never change.  The past is doomed to repeat itself.  Another season of "Because I Can" has begun.

Edited by Lura
typo
  • Love 1

PERFECT, ariel!!!  I've never been to a state fair, although I've seen many of them on film, and "rodeo clown" strikes me as the definitive description of the way Ree dresses.  She seems to be completely devoid of a sense of style.  A friend, who grew up during the Depression, used to say, "It doesn't matter what clothes you wear.  If they're clean and nicely pressed, you have nothing to be ashamed of."  I've always believed that, and I love the thought behind it.  Still, when a woman of means wears hideous clothing and could afford to pay for guidance, and doesn't, she's fair game, especially if her job puts her "on display" frequently.  I feel sorry for her daughters, both of whom also lack any clothing sense.  They could wear darling teenage-suitable clothes, but they go around in old, monochromatic tops and jeans that look like hand-me-downs, IMHO. 

But, much as I like them, I often think that they'd better get themselves off the ranch and into an environment that encourages "girly" living.  Their parents are far more interested in having girls who can rope a steer than girls who can cope in normal, everyday life, IMHO.

I want to apologize for running on like this, but you know, if I were a producer, there is so much about this family that I would change before I'd EVER give them a TV show!  And it all starts with Ree.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Lura said:

Still, when a woman of means wears hideous clothing and could afford to pay for guidance, and doesn't, she's fair game, especially if her job puts her "on display" frequently.  

That's what confuses me. Ree has the ways & means to hire someone to make her "cowgirl" look work.  Too bad she doesn't have a gay male friend that would be happy to help her out.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Lura said:

PERFECT, ariel!!!  I've never been to a state fair, although I've seen many of them on film, and "rodeo clown" strikes me as the definitive description of the way Ree dresses.  She seems to be completely devoid of a sense of style.  A friend, who grew up during the Depression, used to say, "It doesn't matter what clothes you wear.  If they're clean and nicely pressed, you have nothing to be ashamed of."  I've always believed that, and I love the thought behind it.  Still, when a woman of means wears hideous clothing and could afford to pay for guidance, and doesn't, she's fair game, especially if her job puts her "on display" frequently.  I feel sorry for her daughters, both of whom also lack any clothing sense.  They could wear darling teenage-suitable clothes, but they go around in old, monochromatic tops and jeans that look like hand-me-downs, IMHO. 

But, much as I like them, I often think that they'd better get themselves off the ranch and into an environment that encourages "girly" living.  Their parents are far more interested in having girls who can rope a steer than girls who can cope in normal, everyday life, IMHO.

I want to apologize for running on like this, but you know, if I were a producer, there is so much about this family that I would change before I'd EVER give them a TV show!  And it all starts with Ree.

I think the scaled back clothes are probably for tv only.  She wants the masses to think she is just like them.  Today she used the word "ain't."  I'm sure she doesn't use that word in private, or while speaking to her manager, publicist, or good friend Trisha Yearwood.  I just watched Martha Stewart cooking school.  What a difference.  Martha is a true master, and is not ashamed that she is sophisticated.  Ree, I think, is far more sophisticated than she lets on, and dumbs it down for the masses, the lowest common denominator.  This is so insulting, most Americans aren't as dumb as she assumes.  I don't use the word "ain't," and neither does anyone in my family.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, cathy said:

Ree, I think, is far more sophisticated than she lets on, and dumbs it down for the masses, the lowest common denominator.  This is so insulting, most Americans aren't as dumb as she assumes.  I don't use the word "ain't," and neither does anyone in my family.

Cathy - I think you are on to something. Ree  is college educated & wanted to become an Atty & claims to have had a high powered Atty boyfriend in CA who wanted to marry her. Well,  what successful guy in CA won't fall for Ree's charms?  She claims she dumped him for marble mouthed Ladd. I think this was after she ran over her dog. 

ETA - when Ree & Ladd were "courting", she said many times in her blog that he made her hiney tingle. 

If anyone was eating while reading this I apologize.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 5

How weird. I've read that Ree was planning to go off to Chicago to attend law school but I guess she stuck behind to see if she could land Ladd.  I read her stupid memoir once when I was on a boring business trip and flight home. I don't remember her mentioning an attorney BF back in California but I read the book several years ago and am not interested to go download it again to my Kindle, so I will take your word for it, ariel! :-)  I know that when she lived in L.A. she became a vegetarian.

When I read her book, I was astounded by what a boring (and passionless chaste) courtship they had.  He would have her drive out to the ranch -- where she would have to drive home alone at night -- back to her parent's house. They grilled meat and watched DVR'd movies on Ladd's TV. She wrote that in the early days of "dating" she frequently got lost driving to and from the ranch. (I'd be scared to death.) I only remember reading about him actually getting off his butt and driving into town to properly pick her up for a date once or twice.

I also got the impression that they didn't have sex until their wedding night. No hiney tingling moments for these eyes! LOL!

Maybe she toned the book down and saved the juicy details for the blog. BTW ... speaking of the memoir ... whatever happened to the rumor that that book was going to be made into a movie starring Reese Witherspoon? (Ree wishes in her wildest dreams ...)  I would be more likely to choose Julianne Moore (sorry JM) to portray Ree and that's still being extremely kind and flattering to Ms. Drummond.

• Love 3

Ha! Ha! In her scintillating book, she boasted that the first time she ever cooked for Ladd (while they were dating) she made pasta primavera. I don't think he'd eat it and they ended up cooking a steak or something.  At least Ree was smart enough to become a carnivore again -- STAT!

• Love 1

Look at her twitter feed.  A picture of her in the mirror with the quote "I'm bad at outfit selfies.  The mirror makes me dizzy.  And I don't ever know what to do with my free hand."  Ree is nuttier than a dozen squirrel turds on a hot summer's day.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, cathy said:

Look at her twitter feed.  A picture of her in the mirror with the quote "I'm bad at outfit selfies.  The mirror makes me dizzy.  And I don't ever know what to do with my free hand."  Ree is nuttier than a dozen squirrel turds on a hot summer's day.

Boy howdy, I do enjoy following some people  on Twitter (Mario Batali, Michael Symon), but I'd block her if Ree showed up as a suggested feed. Ugh!

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, grisgris said:

I would be more likely to choose Julianne Moore (sorry JM) to portray Ree and that's still being extremely kind and flattering to Ms. Drummond.

I'd go with Kathy Griffin (she already has the hair:)

kathy g.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 4

How would they answer?

Here is my answer:

"Well I watch cuz I'm hypoglycemic!" "And colorblind!"

• Love 2

"One uh these days, ah'm hopin' ta see her hiney tingle."

OK, it's been bothering me.  Did Ree actually say her hiney?  'Cause that seems like a strange place to tingle if a man turns her on.  If her hiney tingles, maybe she has worms.  Or is it possible that she has her anatomy mixed up?  Maybe she thinks that all of her southern parts are called hiney?

Strange.  Ree wrote that she was fresh as a flower until her wedding night?  She also claims she got pregnant on her honeymoon.  Either she has her dates mixed up, or she warmed up fast.  I know that's possible, but I sure wouldn't trust my calendar to Ree. 

• Love 2

She could not have been a virgin on her wedding night, she admits that she lived with a guy, I believe an architect, or an architect student, in San Diego after UCLA.  Saying "hiney" like that in public is very low class.  She must think her fans want that, I can't image an educated doctor's daughter speaking like that.  I sure don't!!

• Love 2
(edited)

Is the hiney tingle still on her blog?  It was there.  The hiney tingle can be a good weigh loss program.  Just think of Ree, Ladd, HT and your appetite is gone.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Lura said:

OK, it's been bothering me.  Did Ree actually say her hiney?  'Cause that seems like a strange place to tingle if a man turns her on.  If her hiney tingles, maybe she has worms.  Or is it possible that she has her anatomy mixed up?  Maybe she thinks that all of her southern parts are called hiney?

It seems like Ree is just as clueless on female anatomy as she is about cooking.  If FN has to have a clueless "cook", please bring back Aunt Sandy.

I think she has a better idea of how female private parts work.

• Love 3
(edited)

“Why do YOU watch Ree Drummond, America?”

"No measurin' ever!"

“I'm all about the flowery tops.”

"Ree has taught me to save my mama's recipes.  They might mean a TV show and millions of dollars someday." 

"She makes real rib-stickin' food for REAL MEN!"

“Because I can!”

"To see how eyeliner should be applied"

"Well I watch cuz I'm hypoglycemic! And colorblind!"

At that, for the first time since 1979, the airwaves went test pattern blank...

indian circle.jpg

....and then one woman said "You mean there is another choice?"

And the Pioneer Handmaid’s Tale began, as thousands of viewers ran from the Merc, seeking freedom.....

Edited by film noire
  • Love 7

How would they answer?

Here is my answer:

To see how eyeliner should be applied

• Love 3

How would they answer?

Here is my answer:

I need more ideas for my ugly flowing blouse collection!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, SanLynn said:

Lol.  And Ree never disappoints!

You know, this comment made me pause and realize that I don't know anyone who wears shirts like that.  I travel a fair amount, too, and rarely see anyone dress like she does.  Ree and I are built (I think?) somewhat similarly where we are not terribly well endowed in the bust and carry more weight in our hips.  I cant wear tops like that because they make me look like a shapeless blob.

• Love 1
On 7/18/2017 at 11:22 AM, Lura said:

Strange.  Ree wrote that she was fresh as a flower until her wedding night?  She also claims she got pregnant on her honeymoon.  Either she has her dates mixed up, or she warmed up fast.  I know that's possible, but I sure wouldn't trust my calendar to Ree. 

Eating a lunch of Ree's favorite fast food Chinese and nearly sprayed chow mein all over my computer screen.  THIS right HERE is hilarious!

19 hours ago, SanLynn said:

I need more cowbell!

• Love 1

Those flowy tops are expensive.  She gets many from anthropologie, they are about $70.00 a piece.  I saw two of her shows today, just awful.  The first was about cattle gathering.  She roped (tortured) some helpless calf, and afterward said that he was startled and "it almost threw me 50 feet across the pen."  Too bad he didn't, it would have served you right.  The second was Alex's care package, where she makes a huge amount of sugary junk food to send to Alex at college. She made tiny cheese crackers by hand and punched a hole in each one.  Or should I say her assistant put the tiny holes in.  Who has time to do that?  I love to cook, but some of the things on food network are just a waste of time.  It reminds me of the episode where she makes homemade potato chips for over 100 teenage football players. No one would do that in real life.  Just buy some at the store!!  I know tv shows are all fake, but this is just too dumb.  

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, cathy said:

..... The second was Alex's care package, where she makes a huge amount of sugary junk food to send to Alex at college. She made tiny cheese crackers by hand and punched a hole in each one.  Or should I say her assistant put the tiny holes in.  Who has time to do that?  I love to cook, but some of the things on food network are just a waste of time.  It reminds me of the episode where she makes homemade potato chips for over 100 teenage football players. No one would do that in real life.....

I noticed the DVR captured that care package ep and it made me wonder. Do you suppose Alex's college/sorority put the kibosh on them cutting to her opening the package at school and fake fawning all over it? Or do you suppose Alex said "cameras stay at the ranch mom"

I suppose Ree or FN decided it wouldn't be nice to do that remote college shot but it honestly seems like something that would have been right up their alley.

the thing that really got me about the football camp thing was she wasted all that time making the potato chips but then used store bought roast beef and assembled the sandwiches instead of you know actually making something. That cracked me the heck up.

• Love 7