Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: No Good Deed...

• Start Topic

Wild Bill risks his biggest lead in history to bail Josh Harris out of trouble. Sean Dwyer finds out if he has got what it takes. Veteran skipper Johnathan Hillstrand leans on his crew and a little tip from a friend to turn his season around.

Disco is soooo done with Josh Harris and his posturing.   Last year while they were still slurping him there is no waaaay they would have shown anything but a captain being nice and helpful to the "young captain carrying on his father's legacy."   Nope, this year we get Wild Bill blasting Josh to the whole fleet for being an entitled jackass.   Loved. It.

• Love 11

Oh my gosh, I loved Wild Bill dragging Josh. The fact that all the captains were listening and giggling made it ten times better too.

Sean is definitely a keeper. He exudes 'calm.' And congrats to him on hitting the jack pot.

The CM is always a disaster. Of course they forgot the bairadie( I have no idea how to spell it) rings. And Josh proves once again why he should not be crab fishing. Really dude? You're going to mope and whine in your bedroom and make Casey handle the exchange? Probably because you know Bill will flat out murder you if he sees your face.

• Love 8

Oh my gosh, I loved Wild Bill dragging Josh. The fact that all the captains were listening and giggling made it ten times better too.

Sean is definitely a keeper. He exudes 'calm.' And congrats to him on hitting the jack pot.

The CM is always a disaster. Of course they forgot the bairadie( I have no idea how to spell it) rings. And Josh proves once again why he should not be crab fishing. Really dude? You're going to mope and whine in your bedroom and make Casey handle the exchange? Probably because you know Bill will flat out murder you if he sees your face.

How many times have we seen captains put aside their differences to help another boat? Here we see Bill turn around and go back to port to help out the CM, wasting time and fuel for the ungrateful CM. And when it's time to meet and transfer the rings, Josh not only isn't there waiting, he's headed off in the opposite direction fishing. Talk about a slap in the face! After the fact, Casey tried to impress upon Josh that when another boat is doing you a favor you have to treat them right - and Josh acted like he wasn't hearing it. Unfortunately for the CM, next time the CM needs a favor that exchange will be remembered.
  • Love 8

I wouldn't put it past Disco to have set this whole CM/CC thang up.  The CM obviously had dozens of pots ready to set.  What was this whole "crisis" deal?  She was still setting pots many hours after Bill agreed to turn the CC around and grab the rings.  It would have been a pain in the butt, but those first several dozen pots would need to soak, anyway.  Bill got out there in what, a couple of hours?   If he did not, the CM must have had a massive number of pots to set.  OR...it was all a set-up. 

Having said that, Bill reaming out Josh on the radio was the best 5 minutes in the history of DC!

Didja notice that the NW crew hazing Sig at the end of the fantastic Red harvest did not result in Sig getting angry?  He really does "get it."  Which is why again, I don't understand the nonsense we saw last week with his being all butthurt by Jake A. and Casey.  

• Love 3

What a cowardly little shit Josh Harris is.   He runs off and hides in his bunk.   I don't even get why.   The transfer was handled ship to ship by ropes and buoys.    Did he imagine Wild Bill was going to swim over to the Cornelia Marie, climb over the rail and beat the living snot out of him?  Even drug addict Elliott Neese wouldn't have scampered away like that.

Wild Bill can be a raging asshole at times, but I can't help admiring him.   Sometimes I've even felt guilty about it.   But after this episode, no more.   I am a shameless Wild Bill fan.    In all these years, he's the only one who's ever had the balls to peg Josh Harris.    The other captains have complained, but it's always with disclaimers like "he's young" or "he's still learning."

Wild Bill had more than enough reason to dump those Bairdi rings into the Bering Sea and continue on his way, but he made a promise of assistance on the sea and he lived up to it.

I'm surprised Josh Harris hasn't complained that the new captain Sean is muscling in on his "dead father" action. 

• Love 9

I'm hoping, when the CM needs help again, crabbers remember it was Josh who was ungrateful and insensitive and not Casey or the CM. I wonder, given that Wild Bill "broke the ice", whether the others will declare open season on Josh (particularly after seeing him hide in his bunk to avoid Bill, even though Bill was never going to come aboard).

• Love 4

Wow...the (kid) gloves came off with the DC production crew and Josh Harris on this one!  We know who is getting the a-hole edit this year now, don't we?  ;)

I just thought it was kinda mean (ok, funny, but maybe a bit mean) for Disco to actually show Josh in the captain's chair, apparently actually doing a bit of captaining when his screw up came down.  All during the show to this point, he was essentially doing nothing.  So the ONE time he actually doing something, it's when he decides to put a few pots in the water, instead of heading over to the Cape Caution.  And then having Wild Bill go all Wild Bill on Josh's Butt. LOL!  Not only reaming him on the radio, but doing so for everyone to hear.  And seeing all those other captains giggle while this was going on, pretty much made the show for me. 

And it shows too the DC crew are so done protecting/covering up for Josh.   That last bit of slinking off to his cabin was just too much.  He should just stay there and let Casey handle things from here on out. 

Not the biggest Wild Bill fan in the world, but that was pure awesome sauce from him.

• Love 7

That was one of Wild Bill's finest moments.  I was really surprised that he was saying pretty much exactly what I've been thinking for a couple of seasons.  Josh is a friggin idiot, there for the cameras.   I was disappointed in Casey, though, that he was blaming the mess on the crew when he did the ordering.  That mistake could have been him ordering the wrong amount or the store sending the wrong amount and no one on the ship catching the error.  Equal possibility for error all around.  Josh crabbing while Wild Bill waited was classic.  Totally oblivious, forgot that they need to get the rings.  You'd think a real captain would have that at the forefront of his mind.  Not Josh, of course.  I wonder what the investors thought of this mess.  If the bottom line is healthy at the end of the season, they probably won't care.

Sig redeemed himself tonight.  He's been rather dickish this season toward Jake Anderson and it wasn't until this episode that we saw the Sig I've grown to really like and appreciate.

Agree that the new captain and crew are a breath of fresh air.  Sean and his Mother have a great relationship and Sean's relationship with the crew seems strong and healthy, too.

It's amazing that Keith and the Hillstrands are working so well together these days, isn't it?  Nice to see.  It's also nice to see that Freddie has gotten past whatever was making him a head case last season.

What a cowardly little shit Josh Harris is.   He runs off and hides in his bunk.   I don't even get why.   The transfer was handled ship to ship by ropes and buoys.    Did he imagine Wild Bill was going to swim over to the Cornelia Marie, climb over the rail and beat the living snot out of him?  

I'd have paid good money to see that.

• Love 6

It's obvious that Josh was so enamored of the idea that the camera was on him while the crew was setting pots that he forgot to meet up with Wild Bill.  I had the feeling that Casey was just out of camera range waiting to take over the helm, because it's so obvious that Josh is there as a reality "star" . . . not as a captain.

Way back when, just after Phil died and Josh and Jake were pretending to be working toward taking over the CM, they had Derrick Ray as the captain/trainer.  They butted heads big time.  Captain Derrick thought they were there to fish for crabs.  Josh was heard to tell him, "We're here to film a TV show, not to fish for crabs."  A lot of people disliked Captain Derrick because he was straightforward and told the boys, "Your father did not teach you how to take over when he died."  And at that time, it was blasphemy to speak ill about Phil Harris.

I've met Captain Derrick, and the worst thing I heard him say was, "Sometimes, you get the bad edit."  Pretty gracious, considering how the "here to film a TV show" attitude seems to be the truth.

• Love 11

Wow...the (kid) gloves came off with the DC production crew and Josh Harris on this one!  We know who is getting the a-hole edit this year now, don't we?  ;)

I just thought it was kinda mean (ok, funny, but maybe a bit mean) for Disco to actually show Josh in the captain's chair, apparently actually doing a bit of captaining when his screw up came down.  All during the show to this point, he was essentially doing nothing.  So the ONE time he actually doing something, it's when he decides to put a few pots in the water, instead of heading over to the Cape Caution.  And then having Wild Bill go all Wild Bill on Josh's Butt. LOL!  Not only reaming him on the radio, but doing so for everyone to hear.  And seeing all those other captains giggle while this was going on, pretty much made the show for me. 

And it shows too the DC crew are so done protecting/covering up for Josh.   That last bit of slinking off to his cabin was just too much.  He should just stay there and let Casey handle things from here on out. 

Not the biggest Wild Bill fan in the world, but that was pure awesome sauce from him.

I agree.  From Discovery's perspective, Josh did not become the captain they wanted him to become.  He didn't give them the story they wanted, so now Discovery will give him the asshole edit and that will be their story.

• Love 6

I agree.  From Discovery's perspective, Josh did not become the captain they wanted him to become.  He didn't give them the story they wanted, so now Discovery will give him the asshole edit and that will be their story.

Josh makes it easy by, you know, BEING an asshole.

• Love 9

Let's not be too rough on Josh.   Sometimes he has to make hard choices in the wheelhouse, like whether to use the remaining tomatoes for taco night.

Oh, come on. He's going to foist that off on Casey for AT LEAST another year.

• Love 6

I've always loved Bill and last night proved why. I loved him putting Josh on blast for everyone to hear. Poor Casey though, having to deal with that asshole Josh.

I love the new guy. He is just so not douchey. I loved him coming out of the wheelhouse and talking to the guys. Just loved that he is the boss but doesn't stay in the wheel house all the time

• Love 4

Ok, did I miss something? How were the missing rings the fault of the crew as opposed to Josh and Casey? It seemed to me Casey is the one who screwed up.

I am not ashamed to admit rewound the Wild Bill ass reaming several times. The other captains giggling along just made that scene for me.

• Love 4

Casey said it was the crew's responsibility to make sure everything was loaded off the dock.  The crew said that the dock was completely cleared off before the ship left.  If they did, indeed, load everything . . . either Casey didn't order enough, or the order was screwed up.  Can't you just see the packing slip?  "We're sorry; the rest of those rings are on backorder and will be available long after bairdai (sp?) season is over."

And the crew tore apart the supply area looking for those rings, and said they just weren't there.

• Love 5

Casey said it was the crew's responsibility to make sure everything was loaded off the dock.  The crew said that the dock was completely cleared off before the ship left.  If they did, indeed, load everything . . . either Casey didn't order enough, or the order was screwed up.  Can't you just see the packing slip?  "We're sorry; the rest of those rings are on backorder and will be available long after bairdai (sp?) season is over."

And the crew tore apart the supply area looking for those rings, and said they just weren't there.

Yeah, that's why it came across to me that it was more Casey's screw up. When they asked him about his order he seemed a little hesitant and unsure. Don't like that he was such a dick to the crew if it was his screw up. At least he understood that when someone is doing you a favor you try to make it easy for them and made that pretty clear to Josh. I think Casey was a bit embarrassed by Josh there.

• Love 4

Casey said it was the crew's responsibility to make sure everything was loaded off the dock. The crew said that the dock was completely cleared off before the ship left. If they did, indeed, load everything . . . either Casey didn't order enough, or the order was screwed up. Can't you just see the packing slip? "We're sorry; the rest of those rings are on backorder and will be available long after bairdai (sp?) season is over."

Though of course the ultimate responsibility (and blame when something goes wrong) rests with the captain, I'm not sure how the different boats divide the labor. It seems to me that on a well run boat, the captain should be able to delegate a lot of the details as long as he keeps track of the big picture. In this situation, I would think once the decision was made to rig the pots enroute, it became the deckboss' job to make it happen. Then it became the deckboss' job to make sure he COULD make it happen, and if not speak up before leaving the dock. A good experienced deckboss would have caught the shortage. (Like I said, I don't know if it's really part of the deckboss' job, but I think it should be.)

I agree Casey went overboard blaming the crew, but then it seems fairly common for these guys to go off half cocked. Here we have enough blame for everyone. Were enough rings ordered? If they were ordered, why wasn't the shortage caught when the order was delivered/picked up? Most importantly, why didn't someone notice before they left the dock?

And as long as I'm passing around blame, let's not forget Captain in training Josh (I know, I always come back to dumping on Josh, but he's just so dumpable.) Josh should be the busiest dude on the boat. He's supposed to be learning what it takes to run the CM. So, he needs to learn enough about how everything works to know what to look for to make sure it's working right. Being put in charge of supplies seems to be a good way to learn what it takes to run the boat (of course, someone would need to supervise/double check his work to make sure nothing falls through any cracks). Really, we don't see Josh learning much beyond piloting the boat. Sure, that's important, but there's a whole lot more to it for when (if) he starts running the boat for real.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 8

I've not been a fan of Wild Bill in the past--his temper scares me...I remember the time on the show where he raised his hand as if to hit his son and his son ducked out of the way...but Wild Bill telling Josh off? That's Bering Sea Gold, right there. 

I loved the scenes with Sig on deck--he looked like he was having fun.  None of the petty crap like on the previous episode. with the "corking" of pots and stuff.  

• Love 4

Although Wild Bill stole the show, I also enjoyed the camaraderie between Keith and Jonathan Hillstrand.   Jonathan was Keith's shoulder to cry on last week and Keith came through for Jonathan in his time of need this week.   It's heartwarming to see men conducting themselves with honor, decency and compassion.

• Love 9

As much as I enjoyed the Josh comeuppance, I also think Casey ordered the wrong number of rings.  His face looked a bit too...”uh-oh” as opposed to the kind of livid you’d expect from one of the other captains. The crew guy was right – what are they being accused of doing wrong – leaving a box on the dock? Unlikely.  And thinking back to last year and rigging the pots wrong/not rigging them... that was probably on Casey, too.  Am beginning to believe he’s sloppy in the details.   And it’s not like Josh the heir apparent is going to back him up if he blows it.  (Though you know New Cutie Guy on Brenna A cross checks every delivery against the invoice, something captain in training Harris could have taken the initiative to do, even if it meant getting off his ass.  He could have left his earbuds in) 

I also am willing to give Josh a teensy benefit of the doubt when it comes to the handoff hideaway. It was interesting that Casey knew all about the Cape Caution coming to their rescue, but went to bed and Josh just happened to keep heading in the wrong direction.  What was their discussion?  Do this string and then head south, get the rings and come back?  And Josh just kept heading North?  Seems like they would have discussed it.  And if Josh had contradicted what they agreed on, that Casey would have been justifiably pissed.  Again, not much of a reaction. I am willing to believe that Josh saw the way this was going to go, especially after the fleet wide smackdown, and just wasn’t going to play by adding any more to the storyline.

• Love 2

As much as I enjoyed the Josh comeuppance, I also think Casey ordered the wrong number of rings.  His face looked a bit too...”uh-oh” as opposed to the kind of livid you’d expect from one of the other captains. 

Yes! That is exactly what had been going through my head during that scene! He just exuded "oh shit" to me.

Taking Josh down a few pegs while the other captains listened on with giggly glee? Priceless. It's like Bill was speaking not only for the other captains but the audience. And seriously, how does his hair stay so awesome?

You guys are right that ultimately the buck stops with Casey for the ring shortage, but a captain/boss delegates smaller details to staff in every business on earth. That no one noted that there weren't enough for the task or that the order amount didn't match the number sitting on the dock is a failure of attention to detail and the crew deserved to get read the riot act for it.

Can someone explain the CM ownership to me as it stands now? Does Josh have any ownership left, or is he trying to have a good season so he can buy back his share of the boat? Why the hell isn't he busting his ass (like the new captain)? And where is his brother Jake? I keep dreading the thought of a black screen informing us that Jake OD'd somewhere.....

• Love 1

Josh has never "busted his a$$" on anything more challenging than camera angles and finding the right songs for his iPod.

If I remember correctly, Josh and Jake split Phil's 25% ownership of the CM.  Then (according to Josh), he bought out CM; no word as to Jake's portion.  He was up to his eyeballs in debt when a crab processing company affiliated with Casey's father "bought in" with the stipulation that someone who knew what a crab looks like (Casey) had to captain the boat while Josh pretended to be co-captain.  (/sarcasm)

In 2015, 50% of the boat was sold off to investors who paid for the refurbishment.  So far, Josh still doesn't seem to know port from starboard, and Disco seems to have given up on making him look like the heir apparent to St. Phil of Harris.  It's easier for them to just film him looking like an idiot.

I wonder about Jake, too.  

• Love 7

Gee, wonder why Josh was/is in debt.

Anyone watch the Cornelia Marie special Saturday?

Josh was driving around in a Corvette Z06 Supercar....they start at about $80k.

At one point I was rooting for the guy, but I have zero doubts he will just piss away any money he makes and continue to live off his fathers name/fame.

And I agree, at some point we will get that black screen with a message Jake has died....

Edited by Jenkins
  • Love 2

A little late posting but I did not see the show until Sunday.

Boy, is Disco so over Josh or what ?!!  Now that they have the new kid they are  finally showing Josh's true lazy ass colors. No more of the heir to the great, sainted Phil Harris or covering up all his mistakes, lack of desire and entitlement.  I really LMAO when they showed Wild Bill freaking out on Josh for the whole fleet to hear. And Josh going to his cabin - what a baby.

I think the ring mix up was Casey's fault, same thing as last year when Casey and Josh took their mistake out on the crew. I agree that Casey seems to be sloppy with details. I thought he was better than that. He HAS to know he can't depend on Josh for anything but his talks to the camera crew. 

*****As a side note, I had read on the DC FB page in January from someone who appeared to be "in the Know"  that Jake Harris has been clean for a long time and had decided not to fish for the near future. They indicated he was working construction and doing well.  I'm happy for Jake, and he may be the smartest one of all.

Regarding the CM ownership from what I understand, when Phil passed in February 2010, Josh and Jake inhert. Phil's 25% ownership of the boat. In March 2013, Josh & Jake bought Cornelia Devlin's 75%, share resulting in 100% ownership. In 2014, Josh sold 25% interest to Casey. Last April, two new investors purchased 50% ownership of the CM, leaving Josh & Casey with 25% each. They are now the minority owners. The new owners covered all the repairs/rebuilding of the CM.

I love how Keith and Johnathan are now bff's. I think Keith can use someone like that know. I also like the new young kid - he shows more smarts than Josh has ever had.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 6

Thanks to those who cleared up the ownership of the CM. I had somehow totally missed the part about Casey/Casey's dad having ownership interest in the boat too.

So glad to hear that Jake has apparently cleaned up and stayed off TV. I think the last time he appeared was Jake Anderson's wedding?

• Love 1