Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Deadly Prep

PinkRibbons
  • Start Topic

How many of these jobs are going to involve breaking & entering under false pretenses? I figured that Archer was gonna get tricked into shooting Whitney and not Ivy.

So Cyril imagines going all Buffalo Bill on Archer. Can't say I'm shocked at that (the commitment to dressing up like him, however, does).

So, who else realized Archer shot Whitney in the exact same place Lana shot him? I also appreciated the callbacks to when Archer had cancer and went on his own rampage (best episodes in the series IMHO).

• Love 2

Remembering the ending of the "Sitting" episode last season, where Archer wound up taking two bullets because of Lana's bullshit test that put everyone on the team in danger.  The ending of this episode?  Yeah, looks good on you, Lana.  Say hi to Crazy Eyes for me.

Edited by DasFlavorPup
  • Love 4

Is the race destination archer calls his kid a real thing?

What did Lana do to get stop by the police before they found the gun on her?

Edited by gwhh

Did not notice that Archer was the victim in Cyril's fantasy. The beard threw me off. Did Buffalo Bill have a little poodle as well?

Good episode. I never got a "swirly," but I still have bad feelings stemming from my adolescence. Nice for Archer to rise above it and become perhaps the world's greatest spy and world's greatest unlicensed investigator. Maybe I should be a bullying dick to everybody I meet.

Archer may have misspoken. He said "octoroon" which in some places and historical eras would mean that AJ is 1/8 Black. That would mean one Black great-grandparent with all other great-grandparents and grandparents White. Which also would mean that Lana is White. Instead, I think he did mean "quadroon" (1/4 Black, with one Black grandparent, and Lana is bi-racial) but either used the wrong word or failed at being sarcastic. The conversation jumped out at me because I recently read a story about an "octoroon" slave.

Aren't Whitney and Ivy usually girl's names?

• Love 1

Archer may have misspoken. He said "octoroon" which in some places and historical eras would mean that AJ is 1/8 Black. That would mean one Black great-grandparent with all other great-grandparents and grandparents White. Which also would mean that Lana is White. Instead, I think he did mean "quadroon" (1/4 Black, with one Black grandparent, and Lana is bi-racial) but either used the wrong word or failed at being sarcastic. The conversation jumped out at me because I recently read a story about an "octoroon" slave.

Aren't Whitney and Ivy usually girl's names?

Both of Lana's parents are Black with some unknown White ancestry. Despite Archer's love of mentioning the French Racial Classifications of the Code Noir, I think Lana is Black or multiracial because we don't know who her White ancestors were. Under the Code, AJ would be a quadroon.

Actually Ashley, Beverly, Evelyn, Hilary, Jocelyn, Joyce, Kelly, Lynn, Meredith, Shannon, Shirley, Sidney, Vivian, and Whitney are names that used to be exclusively male, but have switched to female. And I think Ivy was some sort of nickname.

• Love 3

Did not notice that Archer was the victim in Cyril's fantasy. The beard threw me off. Did Buffalo Bill have a little poodle as well?

Yes, in the movie Buffalo Bill did have a white toy poodle, but Cyril's hat and jacket were totally not in the movie:

Thanks, TVSpectator. I'm not clicking the link. I'm happy with parodies . . . like a recent episode of Robot Chicken with a bit explaining why the lambs were screaming.

Anybody else wondering when Archer's luck will run out? Lots of stuff went wrong, but he got to see his greatest nemeses get killed. That should sate him until Barry inevitably comes back from the dead.

• Love 1

Cyril's fantasy of trapping Archer Buffalo Bill-style was my favorite part of this episode.

Besides that, wasn't a huge fan of this one.  Knew that something was going to go down with that former bully of Archers, and he was being lied to again.  I hope they get more cases that are actually legit, it just gets crazy because of the characters being themselves, instead of being tricked.  Also, not enough of the rest of the case other then Archer, Lana, and Cyril.

Well, I did crack up at Lana getting herself thrown in jail for going too overboard with the private school thing.

I really enjoyed this one. I'm not an Archer (the character fan) but this one not only made me sympathize with him but actually like him.

I thought this was the best use of Archer and Cyril but really missed everyone else.

I spent the first few minutes of the Archer/Ivy office discussion going...this is Fletch, they're ripping off/an homage to Fletch! I was so certain it would follow Fletch that the double cross with it being Whitney's house never occurred to me.

So far, I'm enjoying Archer P.I definitely better than the CIA season. Although, I actually found Archer Vice hilarious.

• Love 1

I always like seeing Archer and Cyril team up. Not enough of everyone else for my liking, but I enjoyed this, even though I figured out what was going to happen pretty soon after Ivy told Archer he wanted him to kill him. 

Archer might be a huge asshole, but it does seem like pretty much every early stage in his life was filled to the brim with even bigger assholes, and endless crappy experiences. 

I do not know why, but I loved Archers sudden excitement at the idea that Ivy might have known Ray. It was such a random call back, it cracked me up. As did Archer explaining his whole career as a spy/drug dealer/PI. I would love to see him try to write a resume. 

• Love 1

I always like it when they paid Archer and Cyril up. I like their weird dynamic. There was not enough of the rest of the group but that sometimes happens in episodes that focus on a particular dynamic or topic.

As for Lana; she was pretty much stalking the headmaster of the school she wanted to get her kid in. Taking food to his house and being all crazy about it. The episode was kinda vague and could have used more of her being crazy because it was a little vague and looked like she was just driving through the wrong neighborhood while black but what she was doing was going on an unscheduled visit to the headmasters home.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I liked the episode, but I got totally hung up on the Abijean Schooling Dilemma. Is it an East Coast thing that "prep school" and "private school" are the same? Because I've seen just about every way of schooling in Los Angeles, and public school is kind of a last resort. I mean, I can't mince words here, it's not good for reasons ranging across the board from funding issues to overpopulation, to deep discrepancies between schools in different neighborhoods, etc. If they do go the Public School route they'll need to set themselves up in the right zipcode so AJ can go to a school with a better reputation and/or resources, and/or if they're like my friend with two girls she was fighting for desperately to get the best education available, there are lotteries and cut-off dates to go through where the better school isn't a sure thing, but the second best won't let you wait to find out if you got in to your first choice. It's a huge amount of stress.

So they could also go the religious school route; that's pretty popular. I mean, obviously the religious aspect wouldn't be enforced at home, but Christian schools do have an overall better rep than the California Public School System, and a lot of them are quite used to taking secular students. And money is, I don't think, much of an object since presumably Malory is pitching in, so they don't have to worry about whatever tuition there is. (My sister and I for example went to a private Jewish school -- her the whole 13 years and me 5. The tuition was harsh but we didn't have a lot of elitism because almost all of us were on at least partial scholarships. I still actually don't understand how that worked out for the school. Anyway it had a truly excellent education; we wiped the floor with the rest of the state during testing season.)

Personally I'm way into endorsing homeschooling because I think it's a wonderful way to learn, plus California one of the easiest places to do it. I know viewers probably don't want a baby always in the scene but I think it would be a kind of hilarious awesome if AJ were being taught at the Figgis Agency. She could learn math from Cyril and Malory, Science from Krieger, any number of awesome things from Pam (plus I would put Pam with AJ at all possible times to make sure she gets fed and isn't, you know, alone with Krieger in his lab), History from Cheryl once AJ is big enough that Cheryl is no longer a direct threat to her safety, Music and Skiing from Ray, and add in her own parents? She could be a tiny assassin in a couple of years. And be able to mix perfect cocktails for others. I'm just saying, homeschooling is a very good way to let you focus on your strengths.

(Also further AJ thoughts: 1. I like that she was shown playing with the same space shuttle toy all episode -- I wonder if that's just a nod to the Space Piracy or if she's genuinely going to be into space? 2. I was hoping she'd have Archer's eyes instead of being a complete mini-Lana, but I can't wait to see some of her father's characteristics coming out in her behavior in any case. 3. That hyphenate is tricky. On the one hand, Abijean Archer has the alliterative thing going for it, but AJ Kane has a pleasing resonance.)