Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Ray & Lexi

It was, it was predictable all the way. When she first opened the door & said she was the sister, of course everyone knew she wasn't & she was really Lexi.

• Love 8

Ain't nobody make fun or Marlena for being too black. They crowned her for that bad weave and being a bit chunky. That's why she made the fake profile.

Catfish has really become a show about non-models tricking folks who should know the person they've been swapping pictures with is way out of their league.

And fellas, quit sending dick pics.

• Love 9

Ain't nobody make fun or Marlena for being too black. They crowned her for that bad weave and being a bit chunky. That's why she made the fake profile.

Catfish has really become a show about non-models tricking folks who should know the person they've been swapping pictures with is way out of their league.

And fellas, quit sending dick pics.

And that unfortunate tooth.....I realize cosmetic dentistry is expensive....but couldn't someone have made the argument that its medically necessary to file that tooth down?

I thought Ray was cute, but a good rule of thumb is that men are not generally good looking enough for a model to make the first move.....on instagram.  And someone who looks like a model should be anxious to meet you because they are beautiful.....

Listen, send a dick pic,but don't send one with your face!  

I wonder what type of work he does that he moved nearly cross country for a job!

• Love 2
(edited)

Sadly they do, a lot, in real life, on TV and on social media.  How many TV shows and movies do you have a dark skinned black woman as a love interest?  How many TV shows and movies do you have a non dark skinned black woman as a love interest?  

I think Marlena knew sadly that, if you want to meet black men on social media today, it's best to create a profile of either a mixed or non black woman.  I remember watching "Married at first sight" this year.  They were in Atlanta and stated on the matchmaking show that it was hard to find black men who wanted to marry black women.  Sad.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3

This was a super boring episode... but catfish pulled their own catfish!!

They said Lexi was in Des Moines, IA... they showed them flying into Des Moines (which I think was true but would need to rewatch), then said that Lexi's house was in des moines.  LIES!

They went to see Lexi in Council Bluffs, IA.  I live in Des Moines so I was super excited they were here again but kinda annoyed that again I didn't know lol 

then I could tell by the scenery around Lexi's house that they were not in Des Moines.  So not sure why they didn't fly into Omaha, NE since Council Bluffs is practically a suburb of Omaha and Council Bluffs is about 2 hours from Des Moines.

After rewatching the airport scenes I'm fairly certain they didn't fly into Des Moines.

So weird!!! Not sure why they would lie about that.

I thought Ray was cute, but a good rule of thumb is that men are not generally good looking enough for a model to make the first move.....on instagram.  And someone who looks like a model should be anxious to meet you because they are beautiful.....

Listen, send a dick pic,but don't send one with your face!  

I wonder what type of work he does that he moved nearly cross country for a job!

Ray was very goodlooking, I thought, and seemed like a nice guy overall. This just had me scratching my head. Then he copped to sending a dick pic and I said "NOOOOO!" out loud.

I too wondered what job a 19 year old moves across the country for! Skilled trade? Is he a welder or a plumber or what?

• Love 4

It would have made more sense if he'd moved to go to school. I wondered if the show fed him the line about the job, because for some reason that sounded better to them than making him a college student. Everything about this episode seemed forced-- why not say what his job is, if he really did move for a job at that age-- it's interesting that anyone that young. But Nev and Max, who act surprised and ask follow up questions about all kinds of stuff, totally blew past the job thing.

At the same time, I also did not believe at all that Lexi/whoever had the self-awareness to say she did all that stuff because of bullying and low self-esteem, and then as she grew up her feelings changed, and yet she still didn't have the ability to break it off honestly, or behave with any more maturity than she did during the meeting (eye rolls, defensiveness, and all). So I suspected the producers of sitting her down and "counseling" her to use the excuses the did, so she would have something to say and the show could tell the story they wanted.

Also, I was shouting all episode: why don't you search the phone number like you always do!? C'mon!!

The fact that he was sending dick picks to someone who wasn't sending him comparable photos of herself made me think he might be a little more in the realm of vain than "confident"-- I liked him, he seemed cool, but there has to be something wrong when you are in a "relationship" for 4 years and still have not met or videochatted and the person is serially ghosting and then resurfacing. He had all the warning signs, he clearly had watched the show before, and yet he still didn't think his story would be like all the others ("I think this is going to be one of the ones where the person is who they say they were").

• Love 3

These couples are just too thinly veiled attention-getters for me at this point.  There is virtually ZERO belief for me that any of these stories are much more than partially true and most likely completely manufactured with paid actors.  Bad actors, but provided with some compensation and film for their resumes.   There are too many holes in the stories, too many fake "friends" and too many staged locations.  

It was a nice run for Max & Nev, but they've outlived their story.  Time to move on.  

• Love 1

Am I the only one who thinks that in some ways these people kind of deserve to be catfished in a way??? Yes for being dumb but it's more than that... These people go online and start talking to someone and fall in love with the idea of someone based on some pictures. They have months to years of convo with this person and most times are comfortable enough to say they love them. Then when they find out the person they are talking to does not look like their picture, they are immediately done.

So yes I get the lying part is a turn off but many people have been lied to and still stay in their relationships so it's not just that. On some level, these people are very shallow. They only want to talk to someone who supposedly was there for them and they supposedly love, IF that person looks super hot. Yes I know we all want to be attracted to our significant other physically but attraction is more than just physical so yeah I kind of expect more than immediate repulsion with every meet.

I mean honestly maybe the catfisher would not have made a fake profile(or continued to lie about it) if they actually believed the catfishee would accept them as they were. These profiles are created because we live in such a superficial world and with social media it's so hard to get people to look past the visual to know what's truly inside. It's just speaks to the truly sad state of our society. Dating these days is hell for women for this very reason. Thanks to Tinder and Instagram, every guy thinks they deserve(and can get) a model so they pass over all the normal cute girls in a quest for that Beyoncé/Kim K/ Amber Rose/ Megan Fox kind of girl. This is just really sad and I actually feel for the catfisher when they make the reveal and the catfishee basically wants to throw up on them.

• Love 2

The problem is not that they're seeing a less idealized version of what they were expecting, but something else entirely. Don't pretend to look like Taylor Swift if you're more like Meghan Trainor (or vice versa), because most people's tastes aren't that broad. Catfish need to stick to photos of people who look like better versions of themselves, rather than having a mainstream look that they think will bring the most attention.

• Love 2

Hmm that's an interesting concept. I do agree though that the reality doesn't even come close to the fantasy... But still you would think some people would be able to look past the visual and remember "the beautiful person inside" who they could finally open themselves up to and blah blah blah. Their words not mine.