Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I propose Robin Strasser, who played Dorian, on One life to live.

Robin is a good choice.  I just really hope for Jane for the novelty that her and Wally Kurth (Justin) can play mom and son on GH and then play lovers on Days without it being weird.  They are totally believable in each pairing. That and Jane is best friends with Deidre Hall.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Robin is a good choice.  I just really hope for Jane for the novelty that her and Wally Kurth (Justin) can play mom and son on GH and then play lovers on Days without it being weird.  They are totally believable in each pairing. That and Jane is best friends with Deidre Hall.

I would love Jane to come back, but, if she is not able to do that. Then, Robin would be a good choice for Anjelica.  Anjelica was the Kate of the 80's.. She can be deadly, but, she had a heart as well.  She loved Jack, as his stepmom and her yearning for a child, made her endearing.   For years, Harlan Devereaux, tricked her, into thinking that she was unable to have a child, to hide his sterility.  Alex was her miracle baby and she lost him, due to her evil machinations, against Justin and Adrienne.   I used to love the days of old, when villains on a soap, paid for their evil acts, now, they are rewarded for it..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5

Of course, with Carlavati in it basically means squat. We won't see his material for another 6 months. So, either everything gets completely dropped or they continue on. That's what the problem has been and always will be with DOOL. Ken Corday will call this another reboot. Ken will say the shooting schedule isn't the problem. Ken will say Ron will have great story ideas in keeping with the history of the show. Ken will say the fans will love the direction the show will be going in. Blah! Blah! Blah! Wash, lather, rinse and repeat! The problem isn't Days. The problem is Ken Corday.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Of course, with Carlavati in it basically means squat. We won't see his material for another 6 months. So, either everything gets completely dropped or they continue on. That's what the problem has been and always will be with DOOL. Ken Corday will call this another reboot. Ken will say the shooting schedule isn't the problem. Ken will say Ron will have great story ideas in keeping with the history of the show. Ron will say the fans will love the direction the show will be going in. Blah! Blah! Blah! Wash, lather, rinse and repeat! The problem isn't Days. The problem is Ken Corday.

Carlivati is horrible...I hated him on One life to live and General Hospital. Plus, he is as thin-skinned, as our new President...This is not going to end well for Days.  Ken Corday is the problem.  He is the worst. I am glad that bitch Dena is gone.  Good riddance!

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, TeeVee329 said:

I'd say Will coming BFTD brainwashed a la The Pawn is now a when rather than an if.

He will probably have both Guy and Chandler on the show, for the tale of the two Wills, like he did with Todd on One life to live.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

And Dena tweeted, "Don't worry. I won't be back. Ever."

And Twitter is asking her to promise.

3 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Good! She was poison..

I actually thought this was Dena's best stint this go-round.  Probably because she had Ryan to help balance her out.

But I'm guessing that she parted with the show on really bad terms to have put out a Tweet like that.

I'm . . . cautiously optimistic about Ron coming here.  In part because I have sometimes thought of him coming over here.  He's better at honoring the history of most shows than other writers.  And his initial year is usually full of good story.  His first year at OLTL and his first year at GH were both very good soap, I thought.  It's always after he hits the one-year mark that things seem to go awry with his writing.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Michel said:

I actually thought this was Dena's best stint this go-round.  Probably because she had Ryan to help balance her out.

But I'm guessing that she parted with the show on really bad terms to have put out a Tweet like that.

I'm . . . cautiously optimistic about Ron coming here.  In part because I have sometimes thought of him coming over here.  He's better at honoring the history of most shows than other writers.  And his initial year is usually full of good story.  His first year at OLTL and his first year at GH were both very good soap, I thought.  It's always after he hits the one-year mark that things seem to go awry with his writing.

I will never forgive Ron for the Rapemance between Todd and Marty.. That was disgusting to watch.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Michel said:

I'll give him a chance.  He both made me really, really happy on OLTL, and made me very, very mad.  

GH is one vast sinkhole of suckage and mostly has been since it became the Sonny Corinthos Luke Spencer hour - and  managed to get worse even after he left.  Ron can't be blamed for that unwatchable mess.

No matter what, he can't possibly be worse than what we've seen lately.

Not possible.  I will start watching again when his stuff starts.

Edited by boes
  • Love 3

I'm really glad that Dena is gone as well but I don't know that the show can survive another reboot. They happen annually and it always means that some characters suffer (the many shifts with Deimos) or plotlines are never permitted to pay off (anyone else remember Victor kidnapping Tate? Because I do and I'm still wishing they had played that out as Victor's exit storyline this past fall).

Mostly, I just wonder how bad the show is going to get in the next 6 months. If Dena was kicked out and is sore about it, that must mean that she took the show to new depths... so we must be in for a really bumpy ride until July.

I'm betting tons more Rafe/Ava/Summer/Deimos/Daniel suckage....

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, boes said:

I'll give him a chance.  He both made me really, really happy on OLTL, and made me very, very mad.  

GH is one vast sinkhole of suckage and mostly has been since it became the Sonny Corinthos Luke Spencer hour - and  managed to get worse even after he left.  Ron can't be blamed for that unwatchable mess.

He actually managed to take some focus away from Sonny for a while.  I don't know if it was network pressure or Maurice Benard being so damn charming that he was able to convince him to give him the focus back, or even a combination of both, but that was when he returned the overwhelming focus to him.

40 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I'm really glad that Dena is gone as well but I don't know that the show can survive another reboot. They happen annually and it always means that some characters suffer (the many shifts with Deimos) or plotlines are never permitted to pay off (anyone else remember Victor kidnapping Tate? Because I do and I'm still wishing they had played that out as Victor's exit storyline this past fall).

Mostly, I just wonder how bad the show is going to get in the next 6 months. If Dena was kicked out and is sore about it, that must mean that she took the show to new depths... so we must be in for a really bumpy ride until July.

I'm betting tons more Rafe/Ava/Summer/Deimos/Daniel suckage....

I don't know.  Dena's made some questionable moves since she's been back, true, but she has made some good moves, too.  As a black viewer, I personally love that she's built up the black storyline by revitalizing Abe with his own story and starting him up with the newly-returned Valerie.  While I haven't enjoyed Theo's actions lately, at least she's given him decent character development.  She brought Lani back (though I hope she'd actually had a plan for her in place when she did), and she's

supposedly bringing on Valerie's son, too, as a tie to the Hortons.

She also gave us the convict escape storyline, which was also good, soapy fun.  She's already remembering more family ties that often went ignored through previous head writers (like remembering Sonny, Ciara, and Abigail all being cousins and Ciara and Claire being Kiriakises through Bo and Shawn).  So there's all of that.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Michel said:

I agree with this.  When he's good, he's good.  But when he's bad, he's as bad as anything Dena Higley ever wrote.  (I was so happy when he was fired from General Hospital, but then they went and hired the current two hacks who are even worse than he was.  It quickly became clear that Ron was only half the problem, with the other half being Frank Valentini.)

Anyhow, Days can't get any worse than it's been for the last year ... and perhaps with Quan and Anderson to keep him reined in (and off Twitter!) it might actually work out. 

• Love 2

Positives 

-Higley is gone. 

-Anderson returns as story consultant. She gets romance/passion and adventure.  And most of all character development and history especially for vets.   Get back to basics.  Ron and Ryan need to listen to her and soak up her knowledge like a  sponge

-Ron is good for campy storytelling that's good for Days too.  This will be/nefit for Ryan since he writes with humor. 

Negatives

-Ron got fired from GH.   He got fired from GH.   He got fired.   His ratings went down towards the end of his run along with backstage politics with Geary and Frank.    I just hope he doesn't get too crazy like he did there. 

-This show is an desperation mode so I pray no more new actors and actresses especially ones from shows Ron use to write for (Bree *coughs* Williamson) I just won't be shocked if I hear OLTLers joining the show soon.   Days fans are very particular about castings,  so before casting any new faces they need to make damn sure they can write for them and most of all can act. 

-Chabby is going to get so much airtime.   With them having an abundance of popularity throughout the web,  they are so going to eat the show.   I can feel it.  Can I vomit now?   ?

Other than that,  I will see how this plays out.   I'm not going to jump for joy, until I see some balance,  consistency and all around good storytelling.   To me,  if Days can't make due with these three Quan,  Ron, and Anderson and push big numbers this could very well be it's last shot to stay on air.  Remember this post! 

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

Is she competent? 

She is the best writer that the show has ever had.  Sherry can ground Ron, like she did with JER. Sherry gives me hope.  Her last work on the show was the John/Marlena affair, such intense drama..  I felt bad for Roman, trying to keep his marriage together, Marlena checking out of the marriage and reconnecting with John.  The fallout of that was Sami becoming a villainess and Belle's conception.   That was Sherry at her best.   She has developed almost all of the characters on the show that are epic! The Brady family was built by Sheri. The Dimera family was built by Sheri.  She is a part of the show's DNA. I love her.  Welcome home, Sheri, you have been missed.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, boes said:

IMO Ron deserves a large share of the blame for the current state GH is in. Yes, it wasn't great before he came on, but I personally don't think it was as bad as it got during the worst of his tenure there. His first year was good but after that things quickly went downhill. The current hacks came in and decided to take his worst ideas and make them even worse. 

Hopefully Sherry can keep Ron in check and go around him when necessary, otherwise...no bueno. 

Edited by LeftPhalange

He already was.

I have had a great many complaints about Ron Carlivati since the lowest of his OLTL days, but I was also among his first boosters there because he made that show great for the first time in over a decade. I think he has both great goodness and terrible shit on his record, it's inextricable. It was definitely time for him to be gone from ABC. It's a love/hate relationship for me though, because unlike most people left in this business he genuinely adores soaps and wants to be working in them and has a real passion for their history and their nature. I think he is perfectly suited to DAYS, for better or worse, because he melds their need for both fantasy and family, and he loves to be bold and make waves in the name of what he thinks is the right thing for 50+ years of history.

He also loves rape, DID and shock value, though. And while DAYS may be more down for that than other shows, there's a limit.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, jsbt said:

He already was.

I have had a great many complaints about Ron Carlivati since the lowest of his OLTL days, but I was also among his first boosters there because he made that show great for the first time in over a decade. I think he has both great goodness and terrible shit on his record, it's inextricable. It was definitely time for him to be gone from ABC. It's a love/hate relationship for me though, because unlike most people left in this business he genuinely adores soaps and wants to be working in them and has a real passion for their history and their nature. I think he is perfectly suited to DAYS, for better or worse, because he melds their need for both fantasy and family, and he loves to be bold and make waves in the name of what he thinks is the right thing for 50+ years of history.

He also loves rape, DID and shock value, though. And while DAYS may be more down for that than other shows, there's a limit.

I know Ron grew up on soaps but I have idea if he was a DAYS fan or not. He always seemded like an ABC guy. He probably watched from 12:30 to 4:00 pm starting with Ryan's Hope right to GH. It's always interesting to see a head writers take on a soap. Of course, we could be dead in 6 months before any of it makes it to air. I'm willing to give him a chance to see who he likes to write for and who he (or TPTB) write out. He pretty much writes in reality....I think. I don't think he has written an alien story, a possesion story or Eterna. LOL!!!

45 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

He pretty much writes in reality....I think. I don't think he has written an alien story, a possesion story or Eterna. LOL!!!

Well, he is responsible for cheese-fondue-Faison on GH, so there's that.

i have no hope, lol.

• Love 2

I thought Ron did some good things for the fundamentals at GH, but his problems came over the long haul.  He falls in love with his own ideas and doesn't know when to move on from them.  But I did prefer his GH (and the current one) to Guza's show.

He likes a large complex canvas, and I wonder how that will work at Days where things are pretty claustrophobic and simplistic most of the time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Revlonred said:

All I know is, THE FORD BROTHERS

ackkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Not a fan.  

That memory is going to send me right back into therapy.  I hope there's an open room at St. Anne's.....

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ulkis said:

Jamey Giddens is gonna be a DAYS super fan now.

He always was. Hes big on Ron too because hes Reilly-lite.   Im scared Marlena will be demon possessed by the end of the year.  Watch. 

5 hours ago, jsbt said:

Days loves rapes but if they are smart they won't do one after how they got Ciara raped that brought down the ratings. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, BlackMamba said:

He always was. Hes big on Ron too because hes Reilly-lite.   Im scared Marlena will be demon possessed by the end of the year.  Watch. 

Days loves rapes but if they are smart they won't do one after how they got Ciara raped that brought down the ratings. 

Ciara's rape had me running for the hills.   That was a new low for Days.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I would be shocked if Ron wasn't a DAYS fan going back decades. He is a soap obsessive.

But he was a OLTL superfan.   

I doubt he knows about Days which can explain why Sheri Anderson was brought on to consult with storylines and character directions. 

• Love 1

Here we go again, eh.  Seriously, pretty much ever since I started watching again, we've been having writer changes which result in 5 months of pointless shows as we wait to see which story-lines and characters will be dropped.  It's very exhausting. However, if this saves the show from cancellation, then I'm on board, because even though I had a long break from regular watching, and even now am only half-watching, I've been a fan of this show since the mid-80's and like the stability of knowing I can turn on the tv and it will be there.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, boes said:

That memory is going to send me right back into therapy.  I hope there's an open room at St. Anne's.....

Eek!  No way!  There might be a nun there just waiting to get attacked!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BlackMamba said:

But he was a OLTL superfan.   

I doubt he knows about Days which can explain why Sheri Anderson was brought on to consult with storylines and character directions. 

Not just OLTL - he also obsessively watched GH and likely AMC. I'm sure he watched most of the shows on the dial. DAYS is right up his alley.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I wonder who will catch a case of DID first. 

I vote for Abigail...She has had mental issues or Teresa to explain her behavior.   Plus, Kim had her bout of DID.  He can recreate Jessica/Viki with Theresa and Kim.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I vote for Abigail...She has had mental issues or Teresa to explain her behavior.   Plus, Kim had her bout of DID.  He can recreate Jessica/Viki with Theresa and Kim.

Failure should be diagnosed with DID and then be sent away to a mental hospital offscreen permanently. 

4 minutes ago, boes said:

Maybe it will be Andre......are you ready for....Andrea??

Only if Andrea kills Andre dead. 

• Love 4

They should just scrap most of what's in the can and start over.  TIIC should have learned this lesson last spring, when a good number of viewers who didn't want to watch another 5 months of absolute shit waiting for a writing change left and didn't come back.

• Love 5

I understand bringing on new blood due to the risk of borderline incestuous couplings without new, unrelated characters.  I do.  But do they really need someone new and unrelated?  Since Nadia's here and on-contract, they can always bring on Chloe's sister, Joy, aged up and also unrelated to every character on the canvas except Chloe.  I'd always thought that she'd have been perfect to pair with Zack (before they killed him off) or Will (before they aged him up and then made him gay).  She'd be a much better option for Joey or J.J.  Or even Theo, if they're moving him and Claire toward a breakup.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Michel said:

I understand bringing on new blood due to the risk of borderline incestuous couplings without new, unrelated characters.  I do.  But do they really need someone new and unrelated?  Since Nadia's here and on-contract, they can always bring on Chloe's sister, Joy, aged up and also unrelated to every character on the canvas except Chloe.  I'd always thought that she'd have been perfect to pair with Zack (before they killed him off) or Will (before they aged him up and then made him gay).  She'd be a much better option for Joey or J.J.  Or even Theo, if they're moving him and Claire toward a breakup.

I've been campaigning for Joy to come to the show for years.  I'm really surprised that they haven't brought her back.  Her very existence was a huge plot point.  I always thought that they should have brought her back when JJ came back to Salem, as well as bring on Benjy's daughter to round out the Dimeras.  I would like to see Chloe play the big sister role with Joy.  They can even have Nancy and Craig recurring if they didn't want to back the whole Wesley family.

Hell, if they can bring on all the Hernandez siblings, they can certainly find room for Joy, especially with the Ciara/Theo/Claire crowd. 

• Love 2