Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Us

• Start Topic

Dr. Halstead and Sharon Goodwin deal with a husband intent on harvesting his recently deceased wife's eggs, but soon discover some vital information that surprises everyone. Dr. Charles is brought in by Dr. Choi to aid a patient who is trying to remove his own arm from his body because he feels like it doesn't belong. Nurse Sexton befriends the father of a child who is rushed into the hospital after swallowing magnets - a situation that Dr. Rhodes and Dr. Manning are concerned could present dangerous complications. Meanwhile, Sarah Reese finally learns about where she will do her residency, but has last-minute second thoughts.

I thought it was a pretty good episode.  Halstead learned some humility, there were a number of good medical dilemmas (whether to risk  possibly dangerous surgery on a child, to harvest a dead woman's eggs or not (a thoroughly 21st century problem), the man who insisted his arm needed to be cut off) and Reese's brain surgery.

The least interesting and most manufactured was Manning's christening problem  It's not like there is a time limit on being christened.

I liked Charles' story the best.  It was something people do experience, there were realistic options that Charles tried, and in the end, the medical options weren't enough.

• Love 1

Well, now that Code Black has ended and the herd of attractive doctors has been halved, I'm able to identify some of these people besides S.EM and OP.

Identify, but not really embrace--the medical stories are still much more interesting than the staff's personal problems, to me.

I was very surprised the conclusion of the estranged arm story was "Amputation was the truly compassionate move" instead of:   "Now my leg doesn't belong to me either!"

As I understand it, amputation often solves the problem.  I was impressed Charles was willing to try a nerve block and maybe the drugs would have worked but psychotherapy is pretty much a non-starter for this condition. 

I still find the medicine here much better than on Code Black.

I felt the egg harvesting story was cut short or something.  We found out she had an IUD despite the couple supposedly trying for a baby, and that was it.  I guess I expected an additional scene with husband, about her organs, and maybe some closure with the husband.  Someone could have suggested asking her mom or best friend if she had said anything about her feelings about a baby.

So it seems Reese is second-guessing her choice of pathology? 

• Love 1
(edited)

I felt the egg harvesting story was cut short or something.  We found out she had an IUD despite the couple supposedly trying for a baby, and that was it.  I guess I expected an additional scene with husband, about her organs, and maybe some closure with the husband.  Someone could have suggested asking her mom or best friend if she had said anything about her feelings about a baby.

So it seems Reese is second-guessing her choice of pathology? 

My understanding is the husband is going to continue w/the egg harvest from what hosp admin Sharon Goodwin told Dr Halstead near the end

Edited by sheetmoss
(edited)

My understanding is the husband is going to continue w/the egg harvest from what hosp admin Sharon Goodwin told Dr Halstead near the end

Can he do that?  I thought that egg harvesting doctor said she couldn't ethically do it because the wife was using an IUD so obviously didn't want to get pregnant. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1
(edited)

re the egg harvesting story:  the husband insisted on it and told Halstead that he (Halstead) didn't know the women, her husband did. 

Sharon told Halstead that because the husband was insisting on it the hospital legally had no choice but to do as he wished.  Halstead wondered how the husband could still believe she wanted children when he could see that there was an IUD and Sharon replied that sometimes we are so determined to see what we want to see that we ignore what is before us (or something like that), and pointedly added that Halstead himself should have some experience with that.  The scene ended as I was trying to recover from that anvil.

Yeah, Reese is second-guessing her choice of residency. My guess is she'll have switched by the end of the season even though that would be very difficult in real life.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I'm sure they'll contrive a way for Reese to become on ER resident, even though that would never happen in real life because Match is a binding contract.  But the thing is, I don't think I care.  I hated her at first, and all season they've made her kind of endearing.  Then she was someone I was actively rooting for, and I was almost hoping she'd open the envelope and find out she'd somehow matched into the ER, even though that would never happen either.

Honestly, the entire episode was almost entirely made of Win.  Natalie and April were really relatable for perhaps the first time, and they even made Halstead seem almost human.  I know they showed the husband being a little more ambivalent about his wife's choice to be DNR, but I really wish they'd avoided the scene of him thanking Halstead.  That just seemed really contrived and awfully convenient.  Also, Halstead's scene with his brother at the Bean almost seemed to imply we were to think Halstead had done the right thing, which, no.  The only one who didn't come off particularly well was Maggie, and she's a character I really want to like.

I was surprised to discover there are five more episodes left in the season, because that really seemed like a season finale to me.

• Love 2

I'm not so sure Halstead did learn the lesson I would have wanted him to learn because when he went to funeral, the husband thanked him for "not giving up" on the wife.  So now he'll think, nope, doesn't matter what the patient wants, doesn't matter what the hospital says, I'm right and that will be shown in the long run.  Ugh.  That poor, poor woman.  Weeks and weeks of suffering so "cop-philosopher" brother can tell the doctor, hey, there's a reason.  It's someone else's suffering you caused, but that's OK.  UGH.

• Love 6
(edited)

It does feel like they wanted to do a quick redemption for Halstead and then move him on, including from Manning.  Too bad, I thought they made each other bearable.

I'm not happy at the set-up for a Rhodes/Manning relationship. He deserves better than someone who seems to have an emotional intelligence of a 12 year old.

It seems to me that Rhodes/Donnell tested better than Halstead/Gelfuss so they're re-arranging the playing field.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

I'm not so sure Halstead did learn the lesson I would have wanted him to learn because when he went to funeral, the husband thanked him for "not giving up" on the wife.  So now he'll think, nope, doesn't matter what the patient wants, doesn't matter what the hospital says, I'm right and that will be shown in the long run.  Ugh.  That poor, poor woman.  Weeks and weeks of suffering so "cop-philosopher" brother can tell the doctor, hey, there's a reason.  It's someone else's suffering you caused, but that's OK.  UGH.

This whole story line made me so angry, and STILL makes absolutely no sense to me.  Ok, so Dr Douche saved her life when she didn't want it saved.  What forced her to go into and stay in the trial?  If she's conscious, it's still her decision, so why didn't she just roll herself out of that hospital?  Call the cops if necessary - no one can force treatment on you if you are conscious.

• Love 2

You know, I was absolutely surprised when the cancer patient actually died. And moreso, she died not apologizing to Dr. McDouche. Her husband did, sure, but we knew that he wasn't on board with his wife giving up, so I can be fine with him saying thank you to Dr. McDouche...even though it makes no sense. I guess the husband is just thankful to get a few more weeks with his wife, rather than he dying flat out in her first episode. It was more about the cancer patient anyway, so her not thanking him and actually getting her wish was a nice twist, as she deserved to be angry. Plus, I do think Halstead got a LITTLE lesson in his wrongdoings. He didn't even go to talk to the cancer patient halfway through the episode! That's progress!

I am not fond of Reese snapping at Splendorkable at the beginning, but I appreciate that she isn't perfect and can get snippy when stressed. Of course she's changing her mind about Pathology, but we all obviously called it. I wonder, though, if she'll choose to go into neurosurgery instead. I mean, the only person we've seen doing regular sugeries is Rhodes, so having a second surgical doctor would be fine, and Reese might excel in that area. 

I'm going to pretend that Rhodes/Manning isn't being set up. I like how Rhodes was the one to change her mind (and he didn't even mean to!) but I prefer them as friends. Plus, I don't want Rhodes dating Manning because he deserves better. I like Manning, but not enough to want him to get together with her. I have three different lists: My favourites; the second tier pack; and my GO AWAY pack. Manning is in the second tier pack, along with Choi and Maggie. Halstead and April are mostly in my go away list (although sometimes April flip flops). 

I actually felt bad for the guy who wanted to cut his arm off. I knew he was playing Dr. Charles, but it wasn't because he was being spiteful. I'm glad that story ended well. I also liked the magnet in the kid story, and the dad? Quite attractive. I wonder if him and April are going to start seeing each other. It seems like they set him up to be in at least one more episode. 

• Love 1

It's hard to explain it simply, because the mechanics behind it are intentionally vague.

It's sort of halfway between applying for college (residency is considered like grad school for doctors) and applying for a job.  I pick what I want to specialize in, say, Emergency Medicine.  I make and submit a list of my preferred programs--like I would if I was applying to college.  I rank County General, Chicago Med, Angels Memorial, Seattle Grace, and General Hospital.  The schools do the same thing for their preferred candidates.  Then the magic happens.

County General doesn't want me, so I move down to my next choice.  Chicago Med wants me, but they want someone else more, so I move down my list unless the person that they want has a different top choice.  If Angels Memorial wants me, then I match, and I'm legally bound to do my residency with their program.  I can't just turn around and decide I'd rather be a pathologist, at Angels or anywhere else.

But as I said, they'll find a way to put Reese back in the ER, just like ER did with John Carter.  And I'm honestly okay with that.

• Love 6

Where is April?

The show really hasn't utilized her at all and that is disappointing.

I really loved her introduction and her connection to Severide.

It was one of the better back plots; I've seen.

They over focused on a few characters and it has made me weary.

Rhodes and Manning?

No, however, it would keep the Rhodes/Halstead bromance on hold for sure.

Rhodes knows Will has a thing for Natalie; so, I don't think he'd go there.

I did like the first scene between April and Rhodes in the pilot; even though it was a Grey's Anatomy rip-off.

Rhodes suturing himself up.

I'd like to see April go for being a doctor; her brother isn't that into being an actual doctor.

He seems to like the idea of being a doctor; however, can he actually preform as one if necessary?

April looks to be getting a boyfriend.

So, that is progress; I guess.

Reese is pretty great to watch lately.

They have evolved her character well. 

Dr. Charles and his depression struggle could be a good on-going story if done correctly.

The Chicago shows are great at the procedural story telling; fires, criminals and sickness.

However, they need to bulk up on writers who can write one on one relationships.

They is more than two characters on these shows at a time. 

• Love 1

I have two offspring who are MDs (one just finishing his first year of residency), which is why I've had more problems with Reese than any other part of this rather standard medical soap. No med student would be allowed to do most of what she's done this season -- and I'd have thrown a shoe at the TV at her drilling into a patient's head if my hubs would have let me (he likes the show better than I do, which is why I'm still sort of watching). That was just flat-out illegal, and though they alluded to the fact that a med student shouldn't have done it, it was a Much bigger deal than that. She seemed to stay in that rotation a longer time than the usual 4th year block. They didn't show her leaving for interviews with the pathology programs she wanted into, did they? My kids were flying around the country for a couple months doing interviews during their 4th year (both got first choice, one in psychiatry, one in family practice). On match day, they and their classmates and families gathered in a local hotel banquet room for the big reveal. Their names were called by the dean of the college of medicine, at which point they went up to open their envelopes in front of everyone and announce their match (you could really tell which of their classmates were thrilled and who was a little disappointed that they didn't get their first choices). And as Starri said, they don't just change their minds after matching. That would require waiting a year to interview again, then opening another match day envelope. One of my kids did have a fellow resident walk out of the hospital mid-shift and just quit medicine -- after 4 years of med school and a year and a half of residency!

• Love 3

I have two offspring who are MDs (one just finishing his first year of residency), which is why I've had more problems with Reese than any other part of this rather standard medical soap. No med student would be allowed to do most of what she's done this season -- and I'd have thrown a shoe at the TV at her drilling into a patient's head if my hubs would have let me (he likes the show better than I do, which is why I'm still sort of watching). That was just flat-out illegal, and though they alluded to the fact that a med student shouldn't have done it, it was a Much bigger deal than that. She seemed to stay in that rotation a longer time than the usual 4th year block. They didn't show her leaving for interviews with the pathology programs she wanted into, did they? My kids were flying around the country for a couple months doing interviews during their 4th year (both got first choice, one in psychiatry, one in family practice). On match day, they and their classmates and families gathered in a local hotel banquet room for the big reveal. Their names were called by the dean of the college of medicine, at which point they went up to open their envelopes in front of everyone and announce their match (you could really tell which of their classmates were thrilled and who was a little disappointed that they didn't get their first choices). And as Starri said, they don't just change their minds after matching. That would require waiting a year to interview again, then opening another match day envelope. One of my kids did have a fellow resident walk out of the hospital mid-shift and just quit medicine -- after 4 years of med school and a year and a half of residency!

You're right. Match day is a huge thing. My job(I work at the med school but not for the med school) has the banners in front of the building and balloons and  everything.

From this episode, it seems that the interminable Halstead-Baker lawsuit plot will finally be ending; at the funeral, it didn't seem the husband was upset with Will, implying that it was the wife who pushed for the legal action. This makes zero sense to be, first because, as someone pointed out upthread, she didn't have to go through with the trial, and second, the woman was literally at death's door. Would she really want to spend her final moments dealing with the stress and complications of a lawsuit? But, whatever. If it's done, I'm good.

I was also a bit puzzled about the baby's christening. If it was the mother-in-law pushing and not Natalie, then why on earth would she want Will to suggest a priest? If she did ultimately agree to a baptism and had no one in mind personally, then no doubt she would go with whoever her mother-in-law suggested (which would also be her husband's childhood parish). Having been raised Catholic, I can say that it's not just about the sacrament itself, but about having the child become part of the St. Whoever community. Also, most parishes won't even do it if the child's parents are not active members of their church. Yet no one mentioned any of this.

• Love 3

I continue to have the unpopular feeling of preferring Halstead to Rhodes. I'm glad he washed his hands of Natalie. I thought she showed more interest in Rhodes in their combined five minute scenes then she has in Halstead all season and as someone who doesn't think the sun shines out of his ass I've no desire to watch the show have Halstead lose out to him yet again. 

• Love 2

I like YaYa as April. I do hope she eventually pursues medical school. 

love Maggie and the administrator, although she is way more involved in individual cases and decision making on medical care than would normally happen.

ditto on Reese doing all kinds of things a medical student would never do. Run a code? Drill holes in a head? Yell orders at a higher ranking dr? No. I wonder what her fainting issue is though. I doubt it’s just stress. Maybe pregnant and that will cause an issue with the residency.

a post surgical amputation patient recovering in the ER- what?