Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

FV does not give two shits about upsetting someone by firing their S.O. He did it to Bryan Craig.

You think Kelly Thiebaud was fired?  I could see them trying to drop her to recurring and that being her incentive to leave, but I dunno about straight-up fired.

They didn't even let James [DePaiva] come back for the final episodes [of OLTL], and just had three of his dead girlfriends wistfully remember him.

Couldn't take a second away from Ford whining about how much he'd changed or Starr singing a song. #eyeroll

Let's not forget that on OLTL Frank had absolutely no problem in firing James DePaiva and expecting Kassie DePaiva to continue being a team player.  They didn't even let James come back for the final episodes, and just had three of his dead girlfriends wistfully remember him.

I'm STILL bitter about this. My favorite OLTL actor of all time. (That said, he WAS brought back for Asa's funeral in 2007.)

I think part of the reason KDP was a team player for so long is because JDP did NOT hesitate to speak his mind when he thought a storyline was shit.

This is somewhat nitpicky, but Gabrielle and Luna were actually his wives, not girlfriends. That said, I like to forget Luna ever existed ;) .

And Megan was actually his fiancee for awhile, but girlfriend fits a little more for her here, I guess ;) .

To bring this back to GH, I still kind of wish JDP could have been cast as Sam's dad. Looks wise, it would've been perfect.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

You think Kelly Thiebaud was fired?  I could see them trying to drop her to recurring and that being her incentive to leave, but I dunno about straight-up fired.

No, I don't think she was fired. My recollection, though, was that like the rumored scenario with KA, Thiebaud wouldn't take a cut and re-up for that. I think they had to scramble to rewrite when she said no, but they still didn't barter. Other times, when that scenario plays out it's FV trying to get rid of someone and make it look like their decision, but I don't think it was in that instance. That being said, they certainly didn't beg her to stay because she was dating Bryan Craig offscreen. I misspoke initially - my point was, he'll let someone go or walk no matter who they're close to.

Let's not forget that on OLTL Frank had absolutely no problem in firing James DePaiva and expecting Kassie DePaiva to continue being a team player.  They didn't even let James come back for the final episodes, and just had three of his dead girlfriends wistfully remember him.

I loved Max and JDP on that show and I think it was criminal the way they let him go, but they were under no obligation to keep him in order to expect KDP to do her job. They came on the show separately and their characters were separate on a television soap opera, and KDP knew that, which is why she hung around. That's being professional. It's not a family business where we keep everyone around because we like them. That's what got us over a decade of Kristen Alderson frontburner. And for the record, I believe the kill order on JDP and his character and family on OLTL came from much higher on the food chain than Frank Valentini.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

To bring this back to GH, I still kind of wish JDP could have been cast as Sam's dad. Looks wise, it would've been perfect.

Oh my God, JDP was my jam in 1988. Holy shit. I loved Max. 

No, I don't think she was fired. My recollection, though, was that like the rumored scenario with KA, Thiebaud wouldn't take a cut and re-up for that. I think they had to scramble to rewrite when she said no, but they still didn't barter. Other times, when that scenario plays out it's FV trying to get rid of someone and make it look like their decision, but I don't think it was in that instance. That being said, they certainly didn't beg her to stay because she was dating Bryan Craig offscreen. I misspoke initially - my point was, he'll let someone go or walk no matter who they're close to.

I loved Max and JDP on that show and I think it was criminal the way they let him go, but they were under no obligation to keep him in order to expect KDP to do her job. They came on the show separately and their characters were separate on a television soap opera, and KDP knew that, which is why she hung around. That's being professional. It's not a family business where we keep everyone around because we like them. That's what got us over a decade of Kristen Alderson frontburner. And for the record, I believe the kill order on JDP and his character and family on OLTL came from much higher on the food chain than Frank Valentini.

I was only addressing the point that Frank would keep someone around, or plan an exit around, keeping a current cast member happy. I agree with you that he wouldn't.  Other than giving JDP a few goodbye scenes with some of his favorite co-stars, the attitude was clearly "don't let the door hit you on the way out." 

Edited by Francie
ETA: as for Frank not wanting to upset Chad by killing Kiki or whatever, as much as I like Chad as an actor, i have little doubt that Frank would fire him and recast if Chad stepped out of line.  Wasnt he just some Disney Channel gueststar prior to this show?

Yes he was.  I still think he's better as an evil wizard than Michael. (Not that he hasn't been good in some big scenes.) 

• Love 1

Despair in the Afternoon's 2014 Year In Review:

https://despairintheafternoon.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/year-of-suck-soap-in-review-2014/#more-18512

KIKI: Michael, I just don’t understand why you can’t give Franco the benefit of the doubt.

MICHAEL: He murdered dozens of people. He kidnapped a baby. He’s threatened every single member of my family. He strapped my friends to bombs. He set up my prison rape. HIS ART IS TERRIBLE.

KIKI: Yes, but he’s always been super nice to me. Can we keep some perspective here?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3

OMG that was great. So many good ones especially about Patdick and Robin, but this has to be my favorite of all:

DONNA MILLS: Nathan, I’m back! And I need to warn you about Nina!
NATHAN: Wait, how are you not in jail?
DONNA MILLS: Um, I’m an old rich, white lady on a soap opera?
OBRECHT: Yeah, it is literally impossible to put us away.
HELENA: Or kill us.
  • Love 4

Kristen Alderson has had an epiphany.

I hope this is legit and not a cover, and good for her if so. Whether or not it's the real story (and it sounds a lot like saving face) it's what she should be doing.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

I say good for her if she's really going to go out there and get an education, see what she really wants to do from here on out.  

On a shallow note, she should clearly have been doing her own hair and makeup on set, because she looks better in every picture and video I've seen her post on Twitter than she ever looks on the show.  

• Love 2

That was really nice. I wish her the best.

On a shallow note, she should clearly have been doing her own hair and makeup on set, because she looks better in every picture and video I've seen her post on Twitter than she ever looks on the show.  

Really though! This is true of all of them. How GH makes these people look so terrible, I don't even know.

• Love 2

Well good for her. Cover story or not, I hope she really does go out and try new things, maybe enroll in a couple of classes at UCLA or sonethihg, even just continuing Ed. she doesn't have to matriculate yet, or at all. But she's right that there's a whole other world out there and she should experience it while she's young enough to enjoy it.

Well that was nice. It seemed kind of like she was asked to leave and she decided to look at it positively and not negatively and spin it so she could return later by not burning bridges. I find it hard to believe a career soap actor like her would just "spur of the moment" leave for no real reason. I could see it more making lemonade out of lemons, but that said still good for her.

I also wonder being such good friends with KT she saw what she did and decided it might be the right thing for her too.

• Love 1

Kristen Alderson has had an epiphany.

I hope this is legit and not a cover, and good for her if so. Whether or not it's the real story (and it sounds a lot like saving face) it's what she should be doing.

Bah, nothing to snark on there. She's all gracious and shit! :fist shake:

Except maybe for the "take a class or two". How about . . . three or five or twenty?

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
She seems like a sweet girl in that video. Shame they didn't try to build that into her wreck of a character!

I think she's always come off much more charming offscreen, as it were, than on. Which is why it puzzles me that she can't convincingly play the ingénue role. Bad writing doesn't help, but there's something she can't tap into for her characters.

Except maybe for the "take a class or two". How about . . . three or five or twenty?

I think going to school would be really great for her. Get outside the entertainment world for four years and find new interests and ideas.

Edited by dubbel zout

I thought it was so classy of Kristen when she won her Emmy to get up there and credit OLTL first and foremost. IIRC she won for GH, didn't she? But her whole speech was about her years at OLTL, which was really what the award was for, and she was very genuine and sincere and given that, at the time, GH was still in a vicious blood feud with Prospect Park and the new OLTL, which deserved more respect than it got, that show of solidarity went a long way with me. If it had been almost anyone else I would've feared for their job at GH. I've had so many issues with Kristen being frontburnered at the expense of others on two soaps and I think she has a lot to learn as an adult actress, but she's almost always come off so gracious and grateful for daytime that I can't dislike her.

I do remember when the guy who wrote the OLTL oral history, Jeff Giles, basically said there would have been no point to interviewing Kristen for the book, as he had before for other press, because she always stays on-message and is, he implied, rarely too candid about anything not being perfect, and the book was very candid and no holds barred. So maybe there's more to her than we know, but what we know seems very kind, at least.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 5

If that's the case, I give her credit for being professional.  As much as I love when the good dirt manages to get out, I respect that, even at a young age, she had the respect for her job and her coworkers to maintain a positive attitude when speaking to the media. 

• Love 4

KA won for GH, but when she was playing Starr.  It was her snarling...I mean scenes...over Cole and Hope's deaths.

I think that's probably what's making it easier for her to walk away, that she's been playing Kiki and not Starr.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

Actually, I took her whole OLTL gushing as pretty much forgetting who she won the award with.  Like even she didn't give two thoughts about GH.  She was still Starr Manning on OLTL.

Well, I mean, would you get up there and gush about Kiki Jerome? She knew what got her that award and that it was, principally, about Starr and her years at OLTL and she didn't make an attempt to hide her affection for the show, its cast and crew even when everything about them was a dirty word BTS at GH and in the press at that time. And I really appreciated her doing so.

• Love 6

Hoping that Ron does not take this as cue to recreate the "success" of the text message killer story line as the butt message killer starring Dr. Noah Drake.  "Dr. Drake, your butt harms people. Maybe not intentionally, but it harms people".  Then he can join the Pentonville cast and when Sonny attempts an escape because Carly desperately needs his help because she forgot to pay her phone bill and doesn't understand how things work, the butt message killer can have his back and Sonny owes him one.  It really writes itself.  

• Love 3

I figured this would be the appropriate thread for this (please correct me if I'm wrong), but it looks like someone is pretty butthurt at Rick Springfield.  http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/emotional_day_in_court_for_rick_springfield_in_butt-injury_lawsuit.html

And we say thing on soaps couldn't really happen in real life.

Even if this really happened why is she suing Rick Springfield personally? Poor guy.

Edited by Cattitude

There's a roundtable interview about life as soap actresses in this week's TV Guide with Maura West, Jane Elliott, Michelle Stafford, Nancy Lee Grahn, and Finola Hughes.  An interesting read, though they do kiss Frank and Ron's asses a bit.

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2015/01/daytime-soaps-will-soon-trim-cast-list?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

"Daytime Soaps will soon trim cast list"

Okay, I definitely think Easton is out. That's the only one I'm pretty sure about.

My probablys-to-maybes: Nina and Franco, in 6 months. Nathan in 6 months too (they didn't bring Spin back for nothing), Dante, Lulu, unless they really are bringing back a recast Lucky. Maybe Olivia. Maybe they'll finally cut Patrick loose and send him off to Robin. TJ and Molly. O, maybe. If Nathan goes. And if Finola leaves, Duke is probably definitely going with her.

• Love 1

I think DZ and ER will stay, as will LLC. Lisa may leave later, but not until she pops out this kid and has been back from maternity leave for at least six months.

*My guesses: TeCa, MSa (Felix), ME, RoHo, RiH (we'll find out Ric was working for Fluke all along), IB, LH, KSh, and maybe BC are gone.

My maybes: MSt, MW, HP, TC, and WE.

*I need to see the lists of who is contract and who is recurring to firm this up.

• Love 1

Yeah. Nathan will die in a blaze of mob bullets via Faison and we will learn who his real daddy is. Then Dr. O will leave. I'll see your TJ/Molly (Tequan Richmond, will you please get out there and audition? !) and raise you Shawn and Jordan. I read somewhere that there's a rumor of a Flash spinoff. It'll be based on Brandon Routh's character, so the Flash show seems to be okay. I don't know how long Roger Howarth signed for, but I think he won't resign. Franco is out, especially if you factor in the rumors. Nina will possibly be out, but will MSt go back to Y&R? I also see a slew of recurring characters being cut loose so Ron can free up space to snatch up actors and potential pets from other shows. I think Frank might actually trim some fat. Like Sabrina, Felix, Carlos, and Duke type. Maybe TG after the Fluke bs. If they keep Johnny, they'll keep Dante. But I think they'll take advantage and recast Lulu. Apparently every show is trimming cast members.