Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

Frank Valentini interview re: Steve Burton's return:

http://tvline.com/2017/08/07/general-hospital-steve-burton-returns-who-is-real-jason/

"Jason's life affects, like, 30 people on the show.  There is almost nobody who won't be affected by his return."

Pfft, trying to pretend this is a big umbrella story for the entire canvas.  It affects Sonny, Carly, Sam, the current Jason, and maybe Franco, and that's all that Frank really cares about.

• Love 12

As one might guess, Steve Burton‘s return to ABC’s General Hospital “is going to shake everything up,” executive producer Frank Valentini promises

Let me guess, Port Charles will never be the same, right?

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 11

I still can't get over this "It affects everyone!" thing.  Because, in reality, characters I actually care about seeing will get even fewer crumbs than usual while this Tale of Two Jasons is going on, blech.

• Love 8

Who it definitely won't affect: Finn, Griffin, Dr. O, Rebecca Budig, Nathan, Dante, Maxie, Lulu, Laura, Kevin, Mac, Felicia, Ava, Nina, Nelle, Molly, Kristina, Spencer, Joss, Cam, Aiden.

Who it will definitely affect: Sonny, Carly, Michael, BM's Jason, Sam, Danny, Scout.

Who it might affect: Elizabeth, Jake, Julian, Alexis, Monica (assuming they remember she exists)

I've probably forgotten a few really obvious people in each category, but this is off the top of my head.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Melgaypet said:

Someone should make him list those 30 characters and how they'll be affected.

I'm sure Sam will be reaching right out to brother Lucas (who?) and brother-in-law Brad (who?) for emotional support during this trying time. #eyeroll

And I still think whichever Jason is shittiest to Monica will end up being the real Jason #eyerollx2

• Love 7
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Who it definitely won't affect: Finn, Griffin, Dr. O, Rebecca Budig, Nathan, Dante, Maxie, Lulu, Laura, Kevin,

Dante will probably be jealous his dad's sidekick came back.

• Love 2

LOL. I legit forgot all about him!

Thinking about it, I'd put Franco in the "might affect" category. Franco and BM's Jason haven't had much interaction, and I don't see why SBu returning would change that. Franco's past has been retconned enough the way it is. But I don't put it past these writers to want to stir things up between them again. On a daily basis, though, Franco shouldn't care about SBu.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I still can't get over this "It affects everyone!" thing.  Because, in reality, characters I actually care about seeing will get even fewer crumbs than usual while this Tale of Two Jasons is going on, blech.

Actually,  if one Jason is AJ,  it could affect a lot of people.  Both of the Jasonx2  actors are in good standing/ favored by the Cheap Overlord-   so if it's AJ,  he will get to feel feelings beyond hunger and wanting a drink.  He will be pretty mad that 1.) Micheal returned to ass kissing quo to Sonny and Carly- especially after hearing the recording.   This means he can and would take ELQ back 2.) Sonny and Carly have thrived since his murder, with Sonny being able to raise another child 3.) Liz is dating Franco and letting him be around her kids 4.) Franco exists 5.) He has unfinished business with Ava, Olivia, Ned, Alexis,  etc.  

But for some reason,  I think they'll pull out something and make one Nik,  claiming they planned it all along,  when everyone knows they changed it when TC got cast on Days.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Dante thinks his dad's sidekick has already come back. Heh. Dante never seemed to have much use for Jason, which I appreciate.

He can probably sense it's not really him lol. Take that, Spin's internal Jason-butt-sensor!

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

IMO, there's no way one Jason is AJ.

Nothing on this show makes sense.  Frank alleges it's an umbrella story, so there's only a few options.  If you want the story to make some kind of sense. All I'm sure of is that Steve is Jason.   Like, there's no way they bring OG Jason back and not have him be Jason.  SB playing Claudia isn't a thing , since Carly was never a well known character outside of soaps for 20 plus years.  Jason and Sonny, more so Jason, get mentioned a bit.  

They shoved Jason into everything whether he belonged there or not, so in that sense it's an umbrella story. I'd be really surprised if more than, say, four people are involved on a day-to-day basis. Sonny, Carly, Michael, and Sam will bear the brunt of it.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Sonny, Carly, Michael, and Sam will bear the brunt of it.

I also don't think they'll be able to resist riling up the Liz fans by having her and Franco be part of it too. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Who it definitely won't affect: Finn, Griffin, Dr. O, Rebecca Budig, Nathan, Dante, Maxie, Lulu, Laura, Kevin, Mac, Felicia, Ava, Nina, Nelle, Molly, Kristina, Spencer, Joss, Cam, Aiden.

Who it will definitely affect: Sonny, Carly, Michael, BM's Jason, Sam, Danny, Scout.

Who it might affect: Elizabeth, Jake, Julian, Alexis, Monica (assuming they remember she exists)

I've probably forgotten a few really obvious people in each category, but this is off the top of my head.

You forgot the African-American contingent. I guess it could affect Curtis slightly, if he has to start calling his sometime best bud by a different name? I doubt it will affect Valerie or Jordan. Or Auntie Stella, unless one of the Jasons is the mystery guy she was in love with long ago but gave up. (Heh.) 

I'd add Anna, Valentin, Charlotte, and Amy to the "won't really give a shit" list. I guess Diane will be affected, just because that part of the show is her bread and butter and she might have to iron out legal things. Ned and Dillon, because they're related. Not Olivia or Kiki so much.  

Really, the fact that Valentini can brag about "30 characters" who will be affected, and we're able to list far more than 30 people who are still around to be affected or not, and occasionally they're rotating in visiting characters like Robin, Spinelli, and Spencer, and there's always extra room for a ghost of ABC Daytime past to to pop in (Hillary B. Smith as Valentin's lawyer)...this is not a good thing. That is a bloated cast that is not being well served, and the same half dozen are hogging so much of the time.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 7

[SBu's] return [snip] changes the paradigm, and changes the dynamic of the show in such a way that it will create a lot more romance, a lot more intrigue, a lot more adventure, and all the stuff that you want from the show.

"A lot more romance"? I don't want to think what that could mean.

We just said goodbye to little Spencer (Nicolas Bechtel) on-air for another season, and what will that do to Kevin (Jon Lindstrom) and Laura (Genie Francis)?

Hopefully it means they can have their own lives for a while.

Emme Rylan (Lulu) is back from her vacation

LOL. I highly doubt ER thinks of giving birth as "vacation."

We have some really fun stuff coming up with Jackie Zeman, otherwise known as “J-Z”.

I really hope it doesn't involve Nelle.

• Love 12

This [Rebecca Budig's] story had come to a natural end.

I didn't know "natural" and "contrived" were synonyms.  So many words to mask what he couldn't say - they needed her salary to pay Steve Burton.

I wish Fairman had asked Frank about the positive fan response to Serena's visit.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 12

Wow I

38 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

"A lot more romance"? I don't want to think what that could mean.

Hopefully it means they can have their own lives for a while.

LOL. I highly doubt ER thinks of giving birth as "vacation."

I really hope it doesn't involve Nelle.

I'm really just kind of like really, Emme Rylan had another child and her time off is considered "vacation?" She didn't even take a long maternity leave. Just the little things Frank. Hayden's story  coming to a "natural" end? Yeah I bet it will. 

• Love 6

Someone said this on Twitter and it's totally true - a real "natural end" to Rebecca Budig's story would have been writing her and Dr. Michael Easton off together in a happy ending.  It's this hasty backstory retcon to jettison her, but keep him that's unnatural.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 17
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Someone said this on Twitter and it's totally true - a real "natural end" to Rebecca Budig's story would have been writing her and Dr. Michael Easton off together in a happy ending.  It's this hasty backstory retcon to jettison her, but keep him that's unnatural.

Couldn't care less about HateChel's happy ending. Let her have it. Write off Finn too. ME can return as the much better character of McBain. Lose his Llanview connection of Liam. Just have it come out that Liam is actually Brody's. Which I will happily accept and imagine in my OLTL head.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

This. FV's idea of a natural end is Hayden (who is related to another major character, for all the contrivance) going, and Finn sticking around to play PAIN. Will he start using drugs again? Will he ever FIND LOVE again? And how will Roxy take the news when he breaks it to her? Tune in! 

Michael [Sutton] just re-charged that mini-arc of Sam (Kelly Monaco) shooting Sonny, which was so interesting, and so clever that the writers came up with.

LOL. So it was running on low power before that, to need recharging? It must be like my first 2010 Android phone in battery life.  

Edited by Asp Burger
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, jsbt said:

I knew he would survive. Frank has tried and tried to toss him but the network/Varni are snowed by his social media goblin cult.

If Frank was smart he would try to smother them by backburner. NLG would be the first one to campaign to break them up.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4

It's a bad, bad storyline but would NLG really want them to break up? This is the first decent romantic relationship Alexis has been in since forever.  Without it, she's back to babysitting her grandkids at home and babysitting mobsters in court.

4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

It's a bad, bad storyline but would NLG really want them to break up? This is the first decent romantic relationship Alexis has been in since forever.  Without it, she's back to babysitting her grandkids at home and babysitting mobsters in court.

Only if they backburnered them. I don't think NLG cares whether Alexis baby-sits or whether she has sex with Julian, if it's only a couple times a month.

• Love 3