Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ulkis said:

I mean, neither said so but snapchat showed they didn't spend Christmas together and not a word was said of the other, so yes.

These two disappoint me.  I would have thought for sure that, whenever they did break up, it would be a huge messy do, complete with angry passive aggressive social media posts.  Just quietly going their separate ways?  And we're not even getting the over the top wedding?  Boo!!!  

• Love 13
31 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Looks like Brytni Sarpy (Valerie Spencer) has been bumped off contract

http://www.serialscoop.com/2016/12/brytni-sarpy-off-contract-at-general.html

Think we all saw this coming.  I guess Valerie and Lucas can enjoy lunch together in the off-screen side of town.

their "source" was the closing credits of the show yesterday. I love how they're trying to make it seem like someone from the show told them.

3 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

These two disappoint me.  I would have thought for sure that, whenever they did break up, it would be a huge messy do, complete with angry passive aggressive social media posts.  Just quietly going their separate ways?  And we're not even getting the over the top wedding?  Boo!!!  

I know. Nothing?? But they both seem way too cheery. Something is off.

I do wish I had screencapped Bryan shirtlessly giving his dog a giant dog bone.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Looks like Brytni Sarpy (Valerie Spencer) has been bumped off contract

http://www.serialscoop.com/2016/12/brytni-sarpy-off-contract-at-general.html

Think we all saw this coming.  I guess Valerie and Lucas can enjoy lunch together in the off-screen side of town.

Disappointing as a Spencer family fan - and as someone who still sees potential in both characters. 

I will always regret that Brytni/Valerie was never given a real chance - especially when I remember the initial enthusiasm for her (including her on PTV).  And when I think about the  boring (for me) sameness of her age group on GH.  And when I compare her trajectory to that of another actress/character also introduced in March, 2015. 

Valerie and Hayden arrived in GH at the same time and look at the HUGE amount of preferential writing Hayden has been given. The writers have literally coddled her character - tons of airtime ... multiple and lengthy scenes with A-list characters and stories ... a dramatic and high profile love interest with Nik ... an even more high profile and more workable love interest with fan and producer's favorite, Michael Easton ... a chance to develop a meaningful friendship with Curtis ... a family link to the legacy Hardy/Webber family ... an on-screen mother ... a very supportive relationship with one of the show's grande dames, Tracy (a Quartermaine, no less) ... a chance to show her softer side by being giving and caring with Finn's illness ... a serious illness so fans could root for her to get better. Has Valerie had ANY of this writing? .... I don't think so.

Now, I definitely do acknowledge ReBu's history and experience - and I do acknowledge the drawing power of an established fan base.  And I most definitely would have NOT have expected BS/Valerie to have received the same amount of focus and screen time.  However, I sure would have liked her to have had at least a little bit of this kind of attention - attention which could have given her more a chance.  

Edited by Aurora2
typo
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Chairperson Meow said:

Is that the profile pic from his grindr or his tinder?  Like...wtf is with that pic?  And lol "I won, so I quit my stable job.". Bruh, it's a daytime emmy in a category you lost a few times in.  You won with a story tailored to get that for you.  And honestly, Chad, Mo, and Laura did a lot of the heavy lifting.  

Maybe he's hoping for a role in "Village People: The Movie."  

I love how he makes winning a Daytime Emmy sound like a bucket list item, rather than any true love/enthusiasm for acting.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Maybe he's hoping for a role in "Village People: The Movie."  

I love how he makes winning a Daytime Emmy sound like a bucket list item, rather than any true love/enthusiasm for acting.

I think all the hype in his first year on the show and everyone saying he had the emmy in the bag kind of made it get stuck in his head. If he hadn't been nominated that first year, I don't think he would have been so obsessed.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, ulkis said:

their "source" was the closing credits of the show yesterday. I love how they're trying to make it seem like someone from the show told them.

Yes, I have to laugh at the "scoop"!   And about an event which likely happened by the end of September - around the time her screen time became even less .. and she was dropped from the opening credits and she was omitted from some promotional material.  Appearing in the usual Friday credits means nothing re contract status because other recurring actors (like KinS, JZ, LLC, JL and LC) are usually listed there. 

What really struck me about this list of contract cast members was how many have joined GH in the last 3½ years - SEVENTEEN of the 27 listed. Now three are recasts and two are returning characters, but that's still makes for A LOT of new characters in that time frame.  (BTW, I noted Emme's start point only as reference point for time.)

Contract actors on General Hospital – as of December 27, 2016.   Being as these appear to be in order of current hire, Kirsten Storms' position is interesting.  If this is indeed the order I think it is, her contract must have lapsed and was then reinstated.   Another thing which might be of some interest is that the majority of the actors are 40 or older (15) with 4 more in their mid to late 30s. Leaving only EIGHT in the under 35 age bracket (as far as actors' ages are concerned - some actors play a bit older or younger than their actual age - note VA).  I mention this only because I sometimes read recent comments about appealing to the 18-34 demographic.

I'm curious now to compare the contract actor lists on the other three soaps with GH's list re how many actors are new or playing new characters in the past 3½ years.

1.      Maurice Benard

2.      Nancy Lee Grahn

3.      Rebecca Herbst

4.      Kelly Monaco

5.      Jane Elliot

6.      Laura Wright - Recast

7.      Dominic Zamprogna

8.      Chad Duell - Recast

9.      Finola Hughes

10.   Emme Rylan – March, 2013 - Recast

11.   Maura West

12.   Roger Howarth

13.   William DeVry – Recast of a lesser character

14.   Ryan Paevey

15.   Vinessa Antoine

16.   Michelle Stafford

17.   Billy Miller – Recast of a main character

18.   Hayley Erin – Recast of a newer character

19.   Robert Palmer Watkins – Recast of a main character

20.   Genie Francis – returning

21.   Rebecca Budig

22.   Anthony Montgomery

23.   Donnell Turner

24.   Matt Cohen

25.   Michael Easton

26.   Kirsten Storms – returning

27.   Chloe Lanier

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I didn't even know BS was still on contract. What's the point of having an actor on contract if they get less time than off contract actors?

I think she went off contract a few months ago - likely September when the writers were finished using her for the hospital story and to initiate DT (Curtis) into love scenes.  Her screen appearances became even less then and she was taken off the opening credits (and not included in promotions). 

17 hours ago, KerleyQ said:

Is it mean to hope he doesn't even get a nom, just for the hilarity of watching him melt down over that?  

And that picture... That absolutely looks like a Grindr profile.  

I laughed at the line where, after he talks about how he met his fiance there and made so many good friends there, he says "that's all just memories left behind."  Umm... So, like you left those memories in your dressing room?  What?  

Honestly, if I was a casting agent, and I read that interview, I don't know that I'd be all that interested in hiring him.  (Not that I think casting people for prime time and movies are scouring soap mags for interviews).  When I read him saying that he would have felt his work at GH wasn't done if he didn't win an Emmy, I'd be thinking that he's basically saying that the work itself isn't important, all that's important is the recognition of winning an award.  

Yup. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

They need to take Andre off contract tbh.

Really?! I feel like Valerie came on so much before Hayden. Weird!

They debuted on GH on the same day - March 20, 2015.  Hayden was around until she was shot in May and then "left" until it was time for her to awaken from her coma.  That may be why you think of her as having started later. 

FV: I think this year we have added two new main characters, and that is something we haven’t done in a long time: Valentin (James Patrick Stuart) and Nelle.

...haven't done in a long time?  Tell that to Dr. Michael Easton...and Nina...and Rebecca Budig...and...

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

...haven't done in a long time?  Tell that to Dr. Michael Easton...and Nina...and Rebecca Budig...and...

What the freaking f*ck is FV smoking to think he can say that!  Just read that contract list I posted earlier. 

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

Soapmakers...of...the...year. Sure. Sure.

Lante are here to stay. JaSam are fun and sexy???? Friz happened because they just felt like it. Michael Easton is Frank's bestie. And Sam or Max could have talked Sonny out of committing suicide. 

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1

@Aurora2 So they took three fan favorite characters (Lulu, Johnny and Dante)  and put them all through a shredder for a character/actress that they now have no use for, less then two years after her debut. That's some good storytelling right there! And I agree, Valerie good have had some use, even after the first time she slept with Dante.

And while I get no head writer and exe in their right minds will say " We have no f***ing idea what we are doing", especially if two of them are in their first year, can they admit that not all ideas have been winners?  I am waiting for the comments section to light up to set these people straight. It would be nice if someone fell in love with Liz...but we already have Ric, and it would be nice if she could find a new relationship with someone that didn't commit some crime against her or her children. Franco isn't the person either and in fact, he is pretty worthless as a love interest. He always seems to be absolutely devoted and obsessed with the woman he is with. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

And while I get no head writer and exe in their right minds will say " We have no f***ing idea what we are doing", especially if two of them are in their first year, can they admit that not all ideas have been winners?

Yes, THIS!  I don't expect them to tear themselves apart, but what's the harm in admitting that some stories maybe didn't come together the way they were originally conceived or weren't met with the reaction they thought they would?

Instead, based on their answers (to Michael Fairman's fawning, softball questions, to be fair.  His remark that "some fans are somewhat critical" of the Franco/Liz/Tom story was revolting pandering), apparently every single story, character, episode on GH this year was gangbusters.

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Soapmakers...of...the...year. Sure. Sure.

Lante are here to stay. JaSam are fun and sexy???? Friz happened because they just felt like it. Michael Easton is Frank's bestie. And Sam or Max could have talked Sonny out of committing suicide. 

I thought the Sam and Max thing was a weird joke you were making that I didn't get, but no, Frank really said that. At least Jean and Shelly realized freaking Sam or Max can't talk Sonny off the bridge! Well, maybe Max.

Frank is half-right about Lulu and Dante. Of course he is wrong about the legacy character (which is Lulu, just to be clear.) And what, the timeline was right? Lulu and Dante got back together in about March. They didn't find about Charlotte till this month. They could have used that whole time to actually build a reconciliation. Whatever, Frank.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

@Aurora2 So they took three fan favorite characters (Lulu, Johnny and Dante)  and put them all through a shredder for a character/actress that they now have no use for, less then two years after her debut. That's some good storytelling right there! And I agree, Valerie good have had some use, even after the first time she slept with Dante.

And while I get no head writer and exe in their right minds will say " We have no f***ing idea what we are doing", especially if two of them are in their first year, can they admit that not all ideas have been winners?  I am waiting for the comments section to light up to set these people straight. It would be nice if someone fell in love with Liz...but we already have Ric, and it would be nice if she could find a new relationship with someone that didn't commit some crime against her or her children. Franco isn't the person either and in fact, he is pretty worthless as a love interest. He always seems to be absolutely devoted and obsessed with the woman he is with. 

But they didn't do it for Valerie!   As most of us have thought all along and as indicated by a comment from Shelly Altman in the newest interview on Michael Fairman's site, the intention was ALWAYS to put Dante and Lulu back together. 

Shelly's quote:  "We were always intending on putting Dante and Lulu back together.  We are invested in them as a couple."

Valerie's purpose was to give Dante and Lulu some angst - something different from the embyro/baby/child stories they had had.  If anyone was put through a shredder, it was Valerie!!  

Sure, Lulu, Johnny and Dante received some crappy writing, but isn't that kind of writing given to a lot of GH regulars?  Look specifically at the shredder Liz was put through in the Jake story.  Look at how the writers took Julian further than I'm sure they intended to when they showed him so brutally murder Carlos and terrorize his wife.  He and that relationship were put through the shredder.  And then there is Franco who lives in the shredder.

The even sadder part for Valerie in that, in addition to sleeping with Dante and being unpleasant to Lulu, she has also been unfairly "blamed" for bad writing for Lulu and Dante when it was a Lulu/Dante story all along - when their being together always the intended outcome. 

Yes, I repeat, Valerie was the one put through the Passanonsense shredder.  

Edited by Aurora2
7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I thought the Sam and Max thing was a weird joke you were making that I didn't get, but no, Frank really said that. At least Jean and Shelly realized freaking Sam or Max can't talk Sonny off the bridge! Well, maybe Max.

He really doesn't understand a thing about these characters and what makes sense and what's utterly ridiculous.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Frank is half-right about Lulu and Dante. Of course he is wrong about the legacy character (which is Lulu, just to be clear.) And what, the timeline was right? Lulu and Dante got back together in about March. They didn't find about Charlotte till this month. They could have used that whole time to actually build a reconciliation. Whatever, Frank.

Frank was bullshitting his way through that answer.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

He really doesn't understand a thing about these characters and what makes sense and what's utterly ridiculous.

Also lolol at "we love Jon Lindstrom. We love him so much we get out the wire hanger and a one day recast when he hasn't cleaned the bathroom properly, because we know he can do better."

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Also lolol at "we love Jon Lindstrom. We love him so much we get out the wire hanger and a one day recast when he hasn't cleaned the bathroom properly, because we know he can do better."

This is like Jean (or Shelly - does it matter?) talking months ago about liking Lucas and wanting to use him more.   Yeah, right. 

Edited by Aurora2
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, ulkis said:

And thanks, Frank, for admitting that Lulu/Dante were slapped back together with a Band-Aid at makeshift speed to "serve future story." Because Reasons. Because Dante couldn't just as easily be concerned that his EX-wife and mother of his current child was going too far too fast in going after Valentin Cassadine, a known murderer, for a daughter Lulu literally just met a week ago?

And re: Kevin/Laura. They are "blank slates" with each other and have no history together? Well, not DIRECTLY, but Kevin's ex-wife and Laura's first ex-husband are dating/sleeping with each other. And said ex-husband of Laura's was the one Lucy was cheating on Kevin with. Why bother with working with all of that, though?

Re: their justification for Franco/Liz = "We did have a conversation about how Liz just had come off of a relationship with Jason (formerly known as “Jake”), and we have the fan bases of Liz and Jason, and Sam and Jason.  The Sam and Jason pairing though seemed inevitable to us in a lot of ways, but Liz is a very worthy character.  Her relationship with Jason was a very worthy relationship, too, until she started lying to him, but that’s another story." The blasé afterthought of "oh, until she started lying to him ABOUT HIS ENTIRE LIFE AND KEEPING HIM FROM HIS FAMILY, but whatever," that sort of sums up their reaction to most things, doesn't it?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Because Dante couldn't just as easily be concerned that his EX-wife and mother of his current child was going too far too fast in going after Valentin Cassadine, a known murderer, for a daughter Lulu literally just met a week ago?

And Lulu being unhinged about Charlotte because her relationship with Dante had fallen apart would make more sense than - we've finished the divorce workbook! It's time for embryos and babeez!

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

And re: Kevin/Laura. They are "blank slates" with each other and have no history together? Well, not DIRECTLY, but Kevin's ex-wife and Laura's first ex-husband are dating/sleeping with each other. And said ex-husband of Laura's was the one Lucy was cheating on Kevin with. Why bother with working with all of that, though?

This reminded me that Scotty has not even reacted on-screen to the fact that Kevin and Laura are together.  That's bananas.

Unsurprisingly no mention of him or Lucy or Lucas/Brad.  And Jelly claiming they're going to do more with Kristina's being bisexual after dropping the storyline months ago is ridic.

44 minutes ago, Aurora2 said:

This is like Jean (or Shelly - does it matter?) talking months ago about liking Lucas and wanting to use him more.   Yeah, right. 

They also, I believe, in a 2017 preview, trotted out the typical GH head writer party line* that they LOVE the Quartermaines, the Quartermaines are going to be PROMINENT, etc.  Meanwhile here, they pretty much admitted they used Tracy to sell the audience on Rebecca Budig and Dr. Michael Easton.

* I swear, I should pull transcripts, Guza and Wolfe and Ron and Jelly have given almost identical sound bites about the Q's that never came to fruition.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

This reminded me that Scotty has not even reacted on-screen to the fact that Kevin and Laura are together.  That's bananas.

I wondered if he would even know, or care, but I'm sure Lucy told him about this at some point. Off-screen, naturally. And I'm sure Scotty's reaction, especially if it was a bad one, happened off-screen.

Lucy has been remarkably calm about Kevin/Laura (by Lucy standards), but you know now that Laura is a board member and has more reason to be at the hospital it will turn into a thing. And Christina! Does Kevin and Lucy's daughter exist anymore in GH canon?

Edited by LexieLily
Just now, LexieLily said:

I wondered if he would even know, or care, but I'm sure Lucy told him about this at some point. Off-screen, naturally.

Ah, off-screen, where all the stuff I want to see happens.

I personally would have liked to have seen it.  Scotty and Kevin have a pretty complicated history, particularly if you factor in "Port Charles".  And it'd be nice to see Scotty reacting to something about HIS history and not just doing stuff for Ava or Franco.  

• Love 5
Just now, TeeVee329 said:

Ah, off-screen, where all the stuff I want to see happens.

I personally would have liked to have seen it.  Scotty and Kevin have a pretty complicated history, particularly if you factor in "Port Charles".  And it'd be nice to see Scotty reacting to something about HIS history and not just doing stuff for Ava or Franco.  

Kevin is the man that raised Christina, but Scotty is her legal father, correct? Meaning Franco is Christina's half-brother? If that's true, maybe it's best that Christina stays away. Kevin can call her and tell her about his new relationship.

• Love 1

I get that it happened on "Port Charles" and this is murky continuity-wise, but I do hate that Kevin being a father to Christina (and a father figure to Serena, I'd argue) has been completely wiped out.  There's so much gold to be mined from throwing one of those girls into the mix between Kevin, Lucy, Scotty, and even Laura.

And I worry that, while I like their romance, it's always going to be about Laura - her family, her dramz, etc.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I get that it happened on "Port Charles" and this is murky continuity-wise, but I do hate that Kevin being a father to Christina (and a father figure to Serena, I'd argue) has been completely wiped out.  There's so much gold to be mined from throwing one of those girls into the mix between Kevin, Lucy, Scotty, and even Laura.

And I worry that, while I like their romance, it's always going to be about Laura - her family, her dramz, etc.

She does have the most drama with her connection to the Cassadines but he isn't without personal tragedy. Doesn't he have a mother in jail for sexually abusing his brother and that serial-killing brother is dead? Not to even mention the drama of his relationship with Lucy and how that ended.

2 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Oh, of course Kevin has drama/tragedy in his back story.  I'm just saying, in this coupling, with these writers, the story will always focus on Laura, with Kevin there to support her.

Oh, I am agreeing with you. He's not on contract and she is. That's the way it's going to work for them, unfortunately. I was just agreeing with you in that there's gold to be mined in Kevin's own backstory AND if they wanted to finally remember he had stepchildren and bring them on board. Christina and Serena are younger than Lulu, I think, but I'm sure Christina in particular would have something to say about Lulu having a kid by and thus hanging around with the psycho that shot her dad. But, again, why do that or anything when instead we can see Franco/Liz and Sonny/Carly/Nelle 34354 times a week?

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Kevin is the man that raised Christina, but Scotty is her legal father, correct? Meaning Franco is Christina's half-brother? If that's true, maybe it's best that Christina stays away. Kevin can call her and tell her about his new relationship.

On PC, Scotty legally adopted Christina first. Lucy had issues and later found out that she wasn't Christina's legal mother. Scott later arranged for her to also legally adopt Christina. Christina's biological mother later kidnapped Christina, found out that she was dying and returned toddler Christina.  Scott left town with Serena. But he left Christina with Lucy and Kevin, as Julie Devlin wanted Lucy to raise Christina. 

29 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Around the Lucy "breakdown" vampire stuff, I recall Kevin saying something about sending "the girls" to Scott(who was still away from PC) when Lucy really started to mentally lose it.

When Scott remarried Laura this last time, I was waiting for Serena and Christina to come into play. Have one girl pro Lucy or Laura. A jealous Lucy making trouble for Laura. Serena and Lulu hating each other for reasons. Scott or Logan would've worked. Easy to bring Laura into a family mix squabble with Scott, Lucy and Kevin.

Really, Lulu and Serena should be in their mid 20s. Christina should be a teen. Maybe aged up to Molly/TJ college age. Serena would be a natural match for Michael. And it would be lovely to have Serena point out to Michael that his adoptive father is a scumbag who did terrible things to her sister. And see Sonny explain that.

• Love 6

I love how they call Morgan's death an umbrella story. Yes, its ripple effects have really been felt way beyond Sonny, Carly, and Michael. *snorts derisively*

JEAN:

We tried to develop the story of a woman with a drinking problem without underscoring, “Oh, oh! Drinking problem!” coming off of the first day she took a drink.

Oh, Jean. When you show Alexis stare longingly at bottles of wine, you are underscoring "Oh, oh! Drinking problem!"

(Sorry, I can't get the quote to end at the right place.)

Edited by dubbel zout
Wonky quote
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

We tried to develop the story of a woman with a drinking problem without underscoring, “Oh, oh! Drinking problem!” coming off of the first day she took a drink.

LMAO y'all really can't do anything right.

• Love 5

I couldn't even get through the whole interview MF was so annoying with his butt kissing lol.

Not sure if Christina has been erased don't think she's been mentioned by name since Lucy came back to town although Serena mentioned every once in awhile.

• Love 1