Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

I hear the brass at ABC had no choice but to pay attention to the groundswell of support for Herbst.

Really? I'm a fan and would be sorry to see her go, but it's not as if there are so many millions of viewers in the first place who would wreck the ratings. The only reason GH is still around is because nothing else has worked.

• Love 5

Really? I'm a fan and would be sorry to see her go, but it's not as if there are so many millions of viewers in the first place who would wreck the ratings. The only reason GH is still around is because nothing else has worked.

Is that from the article? If it's JG penned, I'm sure it's exaggeration.

aaand I just realized we might actually get Franco/Liz . . . 

• Love 1

That quote is from the article, yes. I appreciate the soap cheerleading, but get real. If TG retiring didn't sink it, losing BH sure won't. (No disrespect to BH; I love her. But I have a realistic view of her and the soap.) GH will be around only until something cheaper and better rated can be found.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 6

HA, Frank('s intern) took down the tweet about today's show that didn't air.  #spectacularlystupid

As for fan support, I'm sure it plays A factor, but is not THE factor.  We've already got the "OMG, we got Michael Easton his job back!" people, I don't need to see a similar outbreak of back patting from the BH superfans.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4

Becky has three kids to feed, with two of them approaching college age in a few years (unlike Liz's eternally pre-adolescent offspring), so good for her. If she had left, I doubt she'd continue acting unless another soap snapped her up, anyway. 

She has kids to feed so of course she was going to accept whatever offer they had, eventually. I dont think her hubby works. 

I was looking forward to not seeing Liez on screen anymore. 

Edited by backhometome

As was said, BH has four kids to feed (yes, I childishly include her hubby), so while I expected her to really go this time, I see why she stuck to the tried and true. I just hope she knows by now not to expect this shit to get any better.

From the interview:

I felt so bad that I couldn’t interact with the fans and answer all their questions, but you’re not allowed to talk when these contract things are going on.

I guess nobody told Nathan Varni that policy.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 8

She's always been a team player and someone who doesn't like confrontation. I was surprised her contract negotiations got as heated as they did, TBH. Frank must have made a really insulting offer for things to go down to the wire.

• Love 7

She's always been a team player and someone who doesn't like confrontation. I was surprised her contract negotiations got as heated as they did, TBH. Frank must have made a really insulting offer for things to go down to the wire.

I dunno, something still seems shady to me about the whole thing, especially if she's claiming to have had other offers.

I'm stuck on "I don't believe it's my place to dictate storyline." Not because of Becky specifically but because of MANY of her co-workers who do, lol.

I think it's more like "I know I can't get away with trying to dictate storylines".

I think she probably had an offer from somebody. All other 3 soaps?  . . . eh.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

That's what I was implying. :P She clearly has 0 relationship with Frank.

oh oops. :) But that's why I'm not stuck on why she said that, she obviously can't say that outright. And can't say "well they just finished a storyline that gave me zero negotiating power since half the audience can't stand my character right now so my next storyline is probably not going to be amazing either."

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

oh oops. :) But that's why I'm not stuck on why she said that, she obviously can't say that outright. And can't say "well they just finished a storyline that gave me zero negotiating power since half the audience can't stand my character right now so my next storyline is probably not going to be amazing either."

I'm scared.

@nathanvarni: Great news! So happy to have the talented @RebeccaLHerbst staying with us at #GH. Fantastic story ahead for Liz!

He misspelled "Franco's penis".

The sad part is that Frank probably actually believes that giving her story with Soap Royalty Roger Howarth (regardless of his shittastic character) is some sort of gift.

• Love 8

The sad part is that Frank probably actually believes that giving her story with Soap Royalty Roger Howarth (regardless of his shittastic character) is some sort of gift.

Exactly.

I am SO not ready for Franco/Liz. And I'll be honest here, it's because I'm afraid I will actually like them. Judge away! I'm already judging myself!

• Love 7

@valentinifrank: Elizabeth = GH / GH = Elizabeth, Scoop = Logan / Logan = Scoop. Enjoy! @RebeccaLHerbst @GeneralHospital #GH #GHSpectacularSpring

Liz=GH? After that hatchet job the show happily did to her character? OK.

• Love 3
I dunno, something still seems shady to me about the whole thing, especially if she's claiming to have had other offers

She also said she was loyal to a fault to GH and mentioned more than once she'd been there for nearly 19 years, it was like family, etc. 

I don't put anything past Frank, but another soap showing interest (which is how she phrased it) isn't the same as getting a firm offer. I think BH is someone who'd rather stay where she is than start somewhere new.

We're probably putting more thought into this than the writers are in her next story. Heh. And sob.

• Love 5

She caved. But I'm one who never thought she was leaving.

Maybe they won't actually go there . . . may . . . be?

Seriously, I think there might be a chance.

But then, they did recast Terrible Jake. argh I don't know.

Man, she'll probably be paired with Michael Easton, watch.

I don't think she cave. It sounds like Frank started to talk to her after negotiation failed through, with the Varni situation he was probably feeling some sort of pressure. 

I think she got a firm offer from DAYS since they just sent out another casting notice for Abby. 

Edited by gator12
  • Love 1

We're probably putting more thought into this than the writers are in her next story. Heh. And sob.

I'm just at a point where I want all my faves/used to be faves off this show and away from this writing team. Sigh. Liz was almost free, man.

• Love 5

Is any soap doing stories that are so much better, though? It doesn't sound like the remaining three are that watchable.

It's not even about particular stories. Practically every character on GH is OOC. That's my issue.

• Love 3

I think it's more like "I know I can't get away with trying to dictate storylines".

I think she probably had an offer from somebody. All other 3 soaps?  . . . eh.

She has always struck me as someone who doesn't feel like she should criticize a storyline, though, even if it would possibly benefit Liz if she did so. Kassie DePaiva was similar on OLTL*, although part of that might have been that her husband was known for criticizing storylines all the time on the same show when he felt he needed to, and he eventually wound up fired. He even allegedly reduced one of their EPs (a woman) to tears once (there was also a rumor he threw a chair at her once, but he denied that).

*She did express some frustration in a soap mag when JDP was let go, though, saying they didn't appreciate his talent enough (which I definitely agree with her on). I do remember that, because it's one of the only times she's ever done that publicly. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

I assume Maurice Bernard being on "Castle" is some kind of payback for Nathan Fillion having his OLTL buddies stop by.

Why?  OLTL actors were supposed to have been on Castle back in 2011 and there were rumors Frons hijacked the idea and sent over some of his pets from AMC/GH to do the show.

I assume Maurice Bernard being on "Castle" is some kind of payback for Nathan Fillion having his OLTL buddies stop by.

Why?  OLTL actors were supposed to have been on Castle back in 2011 and there were rumors Frons hijacked the idea and sent over some of his pets from AMC/GH to do the show.

No one that stilted is having fun. Poor kid was probably sweating bullets.

James was doing very well when he first returned to the show last July, but something happened around November and he seemed really off acting wise.

FV low balled a popular GH actor that has been on the show for 18 1/2 years, and still had the nerve to sign ReBu to a four year deal and bring ME back for the third time in four years!  The ABC brass must have realized that all of the uproar over BH after losing JT was not the way to run this show.

• Love 2

Jamey reported the ABC brass were the ones that got involved in keeping BH, so I think FV and Varni were overruled by the new Daytime Exec.  Frons wanted BH gone in 2011.  FV and Varni wanted BH gone in 2016, but the new ABC bosses obviously did not want to lose an 18 1/2 year employee after they just hired ME for the FOURTH time!

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 1

Is that from the article? If it's JG penned, I'm sure it's exaggeration. . 

Agree with you both. She let the deadline run to the very end, and the other shows didn't come through a good enough offer.  She took ABC's final offer, which Nathan said previously they had made and were sticking to.  I've seen that before with Frank, too. He picks a number, and he's done.

The sad part of this? That Becky is nearly 20-year vet of the show, the 3rd highest ranking with seniority, and they lowballed her. She's carried shitty storylines for them, brings it all the time, is a great actress, and has kept herself in "fighting form" as an actress in terms of looks beyond all reason. And yet that gave her no bargaining power whatsoever.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 12

There's some twitter scuttlebutt about a BH interview where she supposedly says she told Frank she wants out of Jiz and that's why the NotDeadJake actor was let go. I'll try to find some linkage.

I read that article, but I'm extremely skeptical. Frank is the king of telling actors one thing to get them to sign/commit/stay ON HIS TERMS (ie: that lowball offer), then doing whatever the fuck he wants.

• Love 3

There's some twitter scuttlebutt about a BH interview where she supposedly says she told Frank she wants out of Jiz and that's why the NotDeadJake actor was let go. I'll try to find some linkage.

I believe they're recasting. The Jake actor was probably let go because he was terrible.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 3