Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Josh's Sister Is Getting Married!

I've just watched the end of the "clean-up" song like 5 times because of the weirdest continuity error I've ever seen! It appears that Santino Fontana's double was on set, in the scene and in wardrobe. The effect is two Gregs with Eyelid Guy cartwheeling between them.

Two of this week's songs (hopefully the grocery kid's song will be up soon too!):   
It has already been up for a few days....see at the top of the thread, they uploaded it as the sneak peek for this week's episode.

Haha, I'm the one who posted a link to the sneak peek in question so you'd think I would have remembered that it was already online. D'oh! I must be getting old and forgetful!

Oh, I forgot to said that I also don't think that Greg and Rebecca will last, though of course it would be great because I really like them together, they have so many sparks!!! But I think she need to date Josh, so she can realize Josh is not the answer to all her problems, because until she does this, she will alway look at him wondering about it. Although, I do think that Gregecca is the end game, they are just soooo cute, and can make each other better. 

And I didn't like that much "Heavy Boobs", probably because I'm as flat as a table :( 

I was concerned about watching this episode knowing a bit about what would happen with Valencia/Paula.  In the end I think it was fine though, as I don't really care what the Chan family and Valencia think about Rebecca.  It was nice when they were all getting along, but in the end Paula and Rebecca helped Valencia out--and that made that scene with Josh kind of cool.  She could say--shut up, your girl is in good with your family, all is well, go away.  

I love Greg, so I was happy to see him have a lot of screen time.  I hope at least a friendship works out with those two, and they don't ruin their relationship altogether.  

• Love 1

I was concerned about watching this episode knowing a bit about what would happen with Valencia/Paula.  In the end I think it was fine though, as I don't really care what the Chan family and Valencia think about Rebecca.  It was nice when they were all getting along, but in the end Paula and Rebecca helped Valencia out--and that made that scene with Josh kind of cool.  She could say--shut up, your girl is in good with your family, all is well, go away.  

I don't think it really matters if the Chans like Rebecca but I think being able to be cordial with Valencia is important. As long as they have intersecting friend groups, its better if they can get along. Rebecca is friends (and now more) with Greg plus Daryl is dating White Josh so even when you take Josh out of the picture, Paula did torpedo a détente that would have been good for the entire social group.

• Love 1

Loved how Rebecca acted throughout it, though I think dropping her Josh obsession was almost a bit too easy for her in this episode. People don't just change and turn away from their obsessions over night.

It rang really true for me. I don't think she dropped it overnight permanently, but that recovery from unrequited love obsession waxes and wanes. Some days you feel totally sane again, and then you get hit by a trigger or something and it's back at nearly full force and you have to swim back to shore again. (apologies for mixing metaphors)  So she dumps her obsession totems/trinkets, she makes adult choices when Josh showed up late at night... But that doesn't mean she's completely over it for good.

• Love 3

This was a good episode, but I'm still Team Josh. Glad that Rebecca isn't having everything revolve around Josh, though. Greg is okay, but I don't think I want him and Rebecca together.

Rebecca's crazy definitely rubbed off on Paula; I'm glad they addressed it.

• Love 1

I like that Greg isn't all that "nice." I don't doubt that he's a good person, but he is also an unpleasant dick who's as fucked up as Rebecca. Even what he imagines to be flirtatious banter--calling Rebecca sad for being a lady showing up at a bar by herself--is mean as hell.

Greg was all nice in the beginning, then did an abrupt change for the worse after Rebecca basically ditched him for Josh (from Greg's POV).  His attitude quickly went downhill into sarcastic, spiteful and negative, which IMO is one reason he and Heather seemed to click for a while.  Her blasé sarcastic "whatever" matched his mood.  I think what was going on with his father didn't help.  I think we're supposed to see Greg as this deep-down nice guy who's had a few bad breaks in life and has let it sour him but who will come around once things start to go his way again.  Knowing that what's going to happen between him and Rebecca next week probably isn't going to last, I hate to think how nasty and sour he will become after THAT.

• Love 3

Still pretty messed up how Rebecca was so cold to Josh. I don't think even once this season, Josh was being mean to her. Even knowing her situation, he was still pretty chilled. I wish that scene though lasted a little longer. It was too abrupt don't you think? I mean if you talking about a real fight between exes, it gets way nastier than just someone leaving at the door. Josh is too nice though.

I kinda don't see how's it possible to root for Rebecca and the guy she stalked and lied to repeatedly, but to each their own.

Right? I guess Rebecca and Greg are meant for each other. Those cynical bastards!!! West Covina all the way baby!! Love my Cali bros!!

This was a good episode, but I'm still Team Josh. Glad that Rebecca isn't having everything revolve around Josh, though. Greg is okay, but I don't think I want him and Rebecca together.

Rebecca's crazy definitely rubbed off on Paula; I'm glad they addressed it.

Me too!! Two episodes left so we'll see!!!

I mean if you talking about a real fight between exes, it gets way nastier than just someone leaving at the door. Josh is too nice though.

Josh is too nice.  After all, he basically gave her another shot after he must have realized she broke into his house/faked being broken into.  Or maybe he just decided not to be aware.

But these two aren't exes. There may be a romantic attraction but there's no romantic relationship except in Rebecca's mind.  And I think Josh was confused by Rebecca's behavior.  Usually she's trying to get people to like her and not be mad at her.  That's probably what he expected when he confronted her instead of her not engaging. 

I don't think she dropped it overnight permanently, but that recovery from unrequited love obsession waxes and wanes. Some days you feel totally sane again, and then you get hit by a trigger or something and it's back at nearly full force and you have to swim back to shore again.

Yep.  I think she still has a connection to Josh.  She told Paula that she threw everything away but then we saw she didn't actually do it until after she had told Paula that she had. 

But these two aren't exes. There may be a romantic attraction but there's no romantic relationship except in Rebecca's mind.  And I think Josh was confused by Rebecca's behavior.  Usually she's trying to get people to like her and not be mad at her.  That's probably what he expected when he confronted her instead of her not engaging.

They may not have had sex as teens at camp, but I don't think there's any reason to believe they weren't otherwise romantically involved, such that they're not "real exes". They definitely dated as teens.

They may not have had sex as teens at camp, but I don't think there's any reason to believe they weren't otherwise romantically involved, such that they're not "real exes". They definitely dated as teens.

My impression, though I don't know if it was ever stated explicitly, is that Josh was Rebecca's "first." Regardless if that's true or not in the history of the show, even Josh has called Rebecca an ex. There is no "they never really dated" in either of their histories. Even if it was as teenagers, they both have talked about having relationship with each other.

I was responding to the idea that a "real" fight between exes would be nastier. And I don't believe that to be true of a teenage romance that took place about a decade ago.

But you're right, technically they are exes. Just not immediate exes.

Edited by Irlandesa

Josh is too nice.  After all, he basically gave her another shot after he must have realized she broke into his house/faked being broken into.  Or maybe he just decided not to be aware.

That's the interesting thing about Josh. His denial over Rebecca's feelings/obsession seems to be motivated by conscious, deliberate ignorance rather than stupidity. He knew what was up with Rebecca on some level; he just chose to ignore it because he was attracted to Rebecca and he liked the attention and the affirmation that Rebecca could give him. If he acknowledged the extent of Rebecca's obsession, he would feel duty-bound to cease all contact with her, and he didn't want to do that.

My impression, though I don't know if it was ever stated explicitly, is that Josh was Rebecca's "first." 

It could be. Josh's appeal to Rebecca doesn't seem really sexual, though, if that makes any sense. It's like the way teenage girls crush on male pop star teen idols who are clearly gay; they're devoted to these idols on a level that is all-consuming and life-changing but is not exactly sexual. They want to spend every waking moment with their idols, they want to marry them and have their babies, but they don't want to sleep with them, per se. The fact that these pop stars are unattainable and unthreatening makes them a safe outlet for their emotions. Josh is not gay, of course, there's something in Rebecca's obsession with him that seems weirdly...wholesome, thus the "Boy Band with Four Joshes" number. If Rebecca had actually slept with Josh, I don't know that she'd have those feelings.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 5

Greg was all nice in the beginning, then did an abrupt change for the worse after Rebecca basically ditched him for Josh (from Greg's POV).  His attitude quickly went downhill into sarcastic, spiteful and negative,

They've built up his backstory that he's got a kind of sour outlook on life, from being denied (?) his Emory dreams to being the negative one of the friend group to even his very first meeting with Rebecca, where he picks up that she's kind of preoccupied and - with self-awareness but not the desire to change - notes that girls who aren't into him are just his type.

(edited)
Finally, I did like "I could if I wanted to", I liked the melody and the 90's memories, maybe I'm crazy but it kind of reminded me to Beck and someone else I can't grasp.

Yeah, it definitely had that 90s alt feel to it, which I thought was really creative. Both Pavement and The Pixies came to mind for me. 

Question, though: does Santino wear a hairpiece?

I don't think so, but I think you just inadvertently hit upon why I don't find Santino Fontana particularly attractive, although I like him very much as an actor. His hair is...troublesome. I want to mess it up so it doesn't have that hair helmet look. 

Edited by violetr

I'm 45 so I *should* be his target audience! Ha. 

I'm 27, not his target audience and I have the biggest crush in him. I'm about to objectify (is that the right work, english is not my mother language) him saying TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF! 

I'm in the camp of hoping that Rebecca doesn't end up with either Greg or Josh. I'd like her to find someone new. She deserves better than Greg and smarter than Josh.

I'd also like to see more Heather.

I'm on the fence about Paula but I think it is because I love the actress. I completely get Paula's fear that she will lose Rebecca if they no longer have the Josh obsession in common. Rebecca has filled a huge void for Paula in terms of her own kids being non-attentive teens. I can relate to her fear but obviously hate that she blew up the relationship with Josh's family and Valencia.

Loved the Heavy Boobs song - did not like Greg's song. Cracked up at Rebecca's Josh memorabilia collection.

I don't think so, but I think you just inadvertently hit upon why I don't find Santino Fontana particularly attractive, although I like him very much as an actor. His hair is...troublesome. I want to mess it up so it doesn't have that hair helmet look. 

His hair looked much better in the beginning of the season. When he was in 1776 last week, it looked much less helmet-y, so that's encouraging.

OMG!

Greg's C- reminded me of a professor I had in undergrad.  Our first paper, he handed back to me with a C-. Not because the paper was bad or even moderate, but because, quote, "I expected more of out of you."  Some 15 years later, when I decided to go for my masters degree, he wrote me a glowing review.

I also never got anyting under an A-, be it paper or test, that sometimes had some multiple choice.