Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Jeff's stromboli looked good and it was nice to see his taste testers (neighbors). Katie's casserole looked good too. So, what did the baby shirt say? 

The baby shirt said “They worked it out”.  Cute!

Fun Secret Santa bits on this episode, including Terry and Terry - Mauro neighbors/taste testers.  

• Love 3

I'm not a stromboli fan, so Jeff's dish wasn't appealing to me, but I loved the interaction with his neighbors. Very sweet.

I thought Katie's casserole looked good. I liked it that she gave her husband credit for his input for the recipe. She has really dropped the pregnancy weight fast. She's always been very thin, so I hope it's her natural body type and not pressure to get too skinny too quickly.

The Meghan Trainor promotion was really heavy handed. I actually felt kind of bad for GZ, but hey dude, do what it takes to earn the money.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I liked the Meghan Trainor segment.  Her dad was a hoot. 

I also really want to make GZ's granola.  I love granola. 

Fun story - early on when Meghan had her first hit (which I loved right away), I met her dad, Gary.  He had a jewelry shop on Nantucket and I made a point to stop in and meet him.  Gary was SUCH a cute, chatty, friendly, very proud pop.  Meghan’s great - such talent and so down to earth.  Loved seeing her on the Kitchen, even if it was kind of a stretch to have her on the show.  

• Love 4

I was watching a rerun of The Kitchen today. Bobby Flay was the special guest.  Someone asked him about his new book (I think this was in 2017?) and he started to talk about it being about his fitness routine, how chef's have to be careful, etc.  Katie Lee suddenly pipe up, recalling Bobby coming to her gym, turning red in the face after just a few exercises and leaving early.  I guess it's a good thing they're old friends.  He looked mortified (something you don't see often, if at all, when it comes to His Eminence!)  There used to be a recurring skit on the first year or two of SNL, called The Loud Family.  Everyone--Mom, Dad, the kids--all talked casually, using incredibly loud voices.  Now that was hilarious. The Kitchen's loudness sure isn't. Yikes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I was watching a rerun of The Kitchen today. Bobby Flay was the special guest.  Someone asked him about his new book (I think this was in 2017?) and he started to talk about it being about his fitness routine, how chef's have to be careful, etc.  Katie Lee suddenly pipe up, recalling Bobby coming to her gym, turning red in the face after just a few exercises and leaving early.  I guess it's a good thing they're old friends.  He looked mortified (something you don't see often, if at all, when it comes to His Eminence!)  There used to be a recurring skit on the first year or two of SNL, called The Loud Family.  Everyone--Mom, Dad, the kids--all talked casually, using incredibly loud voices.  Now that was hilarious. The Kitchen's loudness sure isn't. Yikes.

That is exactly why I find the filmed at home shows so much more watchable.

• Love 4

Jeff Mauro posted on his Instagram that he’s heading back east to film in studio again.  He sounded sad to leave the Chicago home base.  Wondering if it’s due to Sunny not being able to film in the freezing cold and snow!  I prefer the home shows as well.  We’ll see how the dynamic is with spacing, tasting etc.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Useful 2
55 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Jeff Mauro posted on his Instagram that he’s heading back east to film in studio again.  He sounded sad to leave the Chicago home base.  Wondering if it’s due to Sunny not being able to film in the freezing cold and snow!  I prefer the home shows as well.  We’ll see how the dynamic is with spacing, tasting etc.

That's interesting.  They pick now when cases are rising even in the Northeast to go back to the studio?  Maybe they're all going to live in a bubble for a few weeks while they film a bunch of episodes and then go back home.  It's making me wonder if one of the reasons they continued with the at home episodes even over the Summer and early Fall when cases were very low was so Katie could be home while pregnant since she would have been at higher risk then.  Then after she had the baby it was like she could be on partial maternity leave at home and still film the show.

• Love 1

I thought he seemed okay to go back to the studio since it meant the crew gets to go back to work. I think he wasn't looking forward to quarantining, though.  Jeff's the only one that travels, right? 

I know they usually film a bunch of episodes in a row.  I wonder if they'll try to film more than usual.

I do wonder how they'll handle the tasting and other things.  Other shows that are back in the studio still do social distancing along with the testing.  The studio was not that big. 

I don't think Sunny's filming location had anything to do with it.  They could always have her go back in and "host" from the studio even if others were at home. 

Watching a rerun of The Kitchen this morning.  Good God, Sunny is loud.  I am more annoyed than ever before and I know it's because we now have something to compare to -- we've had the relative peace and normal decibel level while they've all filmed at home.  Sunny is like that precocious kid who has to be louder than the others in the group.  Changed the channel once she amped it up.  But I can guarantee you this -- TPTB don't feel like they can tell Sunny to dial it down -- I think she thinks it's part of her charm and she gets beyond defensive when critiqued.  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Watching a rerun of The Kitchen this morning.  Good God, Sunny is loud.  I am more annoyed than ever before and I know it's because we now have something to compare to -- we've had the relative peace and normal decibel level while they've all filmed at home.  Sunny is like that precocious kid who has to be louder than the others in the group.  Changed the channel once she amped it up.  But I can guarantee you this -- TPTB don't feel like they can tell Sunny to dial it down -- I think she thinks it's part of her charm and she gets beyond defensive when critiqued.  

I'll miss the home shows & doubt I'll be able to endure the studio version. The few studio shows I've watched always seem to have her screaming at least once & it always makes me jump out of my skin. Wish they'd give her a show and replace her with a somewhat quieter chef or cook.

I'll miss the home shows & doubt I'll be able to endure the studio version. The few studio shows I've watched always seem to have her screaming at least once & it always makes me jump out of my skin. Wish they'd give her a show and replace her with a somewhat quieter chef or cook. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

That is why Alex is a much better fit. Give Sunny a show of her own to bellow in, which I won't watch and leave The Kitchen alone.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, buttersister said:

I'd mostly stopped watching the studio shows. Couldn't stand any of them all on top of each other, mugging for the camera, each in their own "style."

Yup. Jeff, Sunny & Katie can be a bit much when together, especially Jeff & Sunny. A little too much personality for one studio kitchen.

• Love 6

So glad Alex said you can skip the rum (for kids). I'm not a kid but have never liked the taste of booze in desserts (where did the word booze come from?). GZ's little boy, George, is so adorable! He & Lorenzo should have a Junior Kitchen Show where they taste test all the foods made (it might not last long cause GZ said George "will tell you" if he thinks something tastes good or not). Katie's roasted veggies with the feta "sauce" underneath looked interesting. I'm going to try it but will use sour cream or creme fraich instead of yogurt. 

1 hour ago, HyeChaps said:

It's December in New Jersey and Sunny is still outside.

LOL, I know!  I still can't figure out how they're going to manage filming in the studio when Covid cases are going way up everywhere, even in New Jersey.  I know that both NY and NJ are rolling things back and considering more shut downs.  Cases are higher now than in the Spring so this seems like a strange and riskier time to do it.  Will they even be able to film in the studio?  Plus doing it around the holidays?  Weird, but they probably have to because if they don't Sunny will freeze into a solid block out on her deck all Winter long.

• Love 2

What the heck is Sunny wearing? She looks like she's ready to go to the club with that shiny silver metallic whatever she has on. Grilling grits in her disco attire, lol. Why don't they just get rid of her and find someone who is willing to go with the flow and film in a kitchen not to mention her uninspiring recipes? Grits. Outdoors. On a grill. Sheesh. She can't possibly be that loved that the network feels the need to keep her. 

GZ Arancini balls had my mouth watering. I just love me a delicious rice ball. 

Lorenzo is a doll. 

Katie Lee's baby cooing in the background is so cute.  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

What the heck is Sunny wearing? She looks like she's ready to go to the club with that shiny silver metallic whatever she has on. Grilling grits in her disco attire, lol. Why don't they just get rid of her and find someone who is willing to go with the flow and film in a kitchen not to mention her uninspiring recipes? Grits. Outdoors. On a grill. Sheesh. She can't possibly be that loved that the network feels the need to keep her.

I thought she was wearing an old astronaut's space suit. She looked ridiculous. I now hit the mute button when it's her turn. That loud, shrill voice makes my head ache. Last week she did mashed potatoes in a martini glass. This week was grits on the grill. Why is she still on this show? Maybe Big Daddy is available (I always liked him & his recipes). What was his real name...McLaren? Something like that. Or Jeff, the runner up in NFNS, who was given a spice show (yes, I haven't watched that competition in a long time!)

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Or as I called him - mush mouth. Man did not enunciate clearly enough for my ears.

Okay, I was going to leave that alone, but YES Aaron McCargo Jr. was a mush-mouthed fast talker on his season on NFNS. Some people thought that criticism was race-based, but not for me. Bobby Flay was also a mush-mouthed fast talker when he began his TV career. You can watch "The Main Ingredient" on LRW to see how rushed and inarticulate he was. It takes practice and maybe dialect coaching to get TV ready.

Didn't FN assign McCargo to one of their many failed travel & taste shows? I think that they thought that because Guy Fieri had outrageous success with DDD that anyone could replicate it. Turns out, not really.

25 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Okay, I was going to leave that alone, but YES Aaron McCargo Jr. was a mush-mouthed fast talker on his season on NFNS. Some people thought that criticism was race-based, but not for me. Bobby Flay was also a mush-mouthed fast talker when he began his TV career. You can watch "The Main Ingredient" on LRW to see how rushed and inarticulate he was. It takes practice and maybe dialect coaching to get TV ready.

Didn't FN assign McCargo to one of their many failed travel & taste shows? I think that they thought that because Guy Fieri had outrageous success with DDD that anyone could replicate it. Turns out, not really.

I know people were critical of Aaron McCargo but, for some reason, I could understand him. OMG--Bobby Flay in The Main Ingrediant! I hope he watches it and is reminded how pathetic he was starting out on TV. He & Giada (another poor performer her first few years) have really got a lot of nerve being critical of the nervous contestants on NFNS. Actually, even though Giada was not performing well in the early years of her first show, I wish it were still on. No huge grinning grill, no cutesy wutesy behavior--she cooked and explained what she was doing, period! 

• Love 2
On 12/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, chessiegal said:

Or as I called him - mush mouth. Man did not enunciate clearly enough for my ears.

I remember the TWOP crowd called Aaron "marble mouth" back in the day. 

My vote to replace Sunny would be Jamika Pessoa, a "Food Network Star" alum who was also on the short lived "Kitchen" spin-off "The Kitchen Sink", and who has been a judge a few times on "Guy's Grocery Games".

• Love 2

Sunny is making a smoky nut mix in a sauté pan on the burner of her grill. She uses liquid smoke to give it that grilled flavor, even though she is STANDING BESIDE A GRILL. Now, I know that a gas grill doesn't really give you a lot of flavor unless you use wood chips, but what the actual hell? SMH

• LOL 5

I was reading the paper & forgot to turn on the TV until 11:32. But I got to see Alex's flaming provolone and Jeff's peppermint cake. Both of these recipes were calling my name! We may not be entertaining for the holidays but that doesn't mean we should be deprived of festive goodies. 

• Love 5

I loved Alex's elf sweater! Noticed she wasn't wearing her big ass engagement ring. When is the last time she mentioned her fiancé? It used to be multiple times each show. I'm not the biggest fan of provolone or of setting food on fire (especially unintentionally! I once had carrots catch on fire in the microwave, no lie) but the toast looked fabulous and I'm sure the cheese would be good as well. 

• Love 1

Maybe she got "the message" from folks re: her excessive use of the word fiance & cooled her jets (as we used to say). I've always liked her as she's a good cook (Iron Chef!) & I like her presentation skills: soft, normal voice, good instructions, no grinning grid, plus I enjoy her Italian-American ways/NYC-ness.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I loved Alex's elf sweater!

It was a hoot.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Maybe she got "the message" from folks re: her excessive use of the word fiance

Where do we send "the message" about her excessive use of the word "literally"?  In today's recipe, we had:

On the parsley, "I'm just going to literally fold it in half" and "just literally sprinkle the parsley."  And then on the pan with flaming cheese, "You can literally lift this up and bring it right to the table."

And it's catching.  Jeff used it, and then I flinched when he said to "liberally spray" a dish.

• Love 1

Speaking of Jeff's cake...if anyone here makes it, let us know what you think. I like the idea of keeping the white cake mix cake--white! But I'm not sure about the frosting and all the peppermint extract (that stuff can so easily cross the line and overwhelm).  Jeff & his adorable wife were cute scarfing down the cake (both Jeff & GZ have wives who look like they could be sisters).  Memo to Katie Lee:  I would've rather seen precious, vocal Iris in that porkpie? hat than the dog.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Speaking of Jeff's cake...if anyone here makes it, let us know what you think. I like the idea of keeping the white cake mix cake--white! But I'm not sure about the frosting and all the peppermint extract (that stuff can so easily cross the line and overwhelm).  Jeff & his adorable wife were cute scarfing down the cake (both Jeff & GZ have wives who look like they could be sisters).  Memo to Katie Lee:  I would've rather seen precious, vocal Iris in that porkpie? hat than the dog.

Me too! She could have said something like here's "Tiny Iris" we would have gotten the reference...

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Noticed she wasn't wearing her big ass engagement ring. When is the last time she mentioned her fiancé? It used to be multiple times each show.

She stopped mentioning him every episode a while back but I do think she did a birthday recipe for him recently.  Maybe before the few episodes in a row she missed. 

As for the ring, there have been many episodes where she hasn't worn it.  I think it's because elaborate rings get in the way when cooking and/or they're tough to clean.

Flambe must be the theme after GZ lit something on fire a few weeks ago.  That melted cheese did look delish, though.  I was impressed that the parsley stayed on her bread.

• Love 1
On 12/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, aquarian1 said:

I'd replace Sunny with Aarti.  I like Aarti and have really come to appreciate her more after bingeing Guys Grocery Games. 

I like Aarti, but better as a judge - not so much for recipes as I think she turned out to be somewhat limited that way.  Not that Sunny isn't turning out to be a little limited herself these days cooking on a grill all winter long, LOL.

• Love 1

I like they all cook from home.   I think I it's much more personable.  Sunny seems to have thrown in the towel though.    She never wears makeup anymore, her wig needs a make over and she really doesn't try and dress up at all.   I know she's home but she's filming a tv show for millions of people.    It looks like she just rolled out of bed.   

I don't really mind her cooking outside, though it is strange, but look like you give a crap about the food and yourself.   

If her kitchen is not up to par, use the kitchen at the studio and film a few sessions.    

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, bosawks said:

I’m not going to lie I’m really looking forward to her cooking outside in February during a Nor’easter.

Only if she wears the silver glitter disco outfit while doing so! At least she has her selection of wigs so she won't need a hat.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

If they’re smart, they’ve already filmed her segments that will be aired during winter. 

I’m watching only for glimpses of Gus and Iris. 

Don't much care about the dog...

• Love 1

Haha! I think Gus is cute and his inclusion is sweet. I wonder whether Katie and Ryan have decided not to show Iris on TV or social media. It's a smart thing for people to do, in my opinion, celebrities or not. I'm not a social media person, so idk whether Katie is posting photos of Iris online.

Of course, the other The Kitchen members don't seem to hesitate to showcase their kids on TV. Especially GZ, shilling his daughters' cookbook. The kids are all appealing, and seem to enjoy it (except Ava, and I'm hoping that if she doesn't like being on TV that's the reason we haven't seen her in recent episodes - she deserves to make that decision for herself), but there's an exploitation factor and the potential for negative outcomes that make me feel unsettled.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

That is a Saturday Night Live skit waiting to happen!

It will be a dark & stormy and *windy* day. Sunny's tresses will be swirling all over her head as she grills whatevahhh, shivering in her silvery metallic dress. Actually, I wish Food Network would provide her with a studio kitchen *now*!! They must have sets that she could spiff up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1