• Todd and Laurel
    • Frank and Laurel
    • Asher and Bonnie
    • Asher and Michaela
    • Aiden and Michaela
    • Levi and Michaela
    • Caleb and Michaela
    • Connor and Oliver

This show is odd for a ShondaLand production in that it doesn't seem super interested in having a central romantic relationship. Greys had Meredith and Derek; Scandal has Olivia and Fitz. This show doesn't have a comparable romantic couple that's central to the series. In fact, if I think about any of the romantic pairings on this show (Frank/Laurel, Annalise/Nate, Bonnie/Asher, and yes - I'll even include the dreaded Wes/Rebecca), they have all been portrayed as fairly fraught and doomed. They don't face obstacles in the traditional TV couple sense (like, say, a romantic rival). In all of those pairings, what threatens to keep the characters apart is the flaws in the characters themselves (Rebecca can't trust anyone, so she repeatedly lies to Wes; Frank can't fully open up to Laurel about all the dirt he's done, etc.)

Take the one couple I'm inclined to ship on this show: Annalise and Nate. The show has given us many moments, where we're allowed to think they could work as a long-term couple. But then we're reminded of all the baggage they have (Annalise's well established trust issues, the fact that Annalise basically ruined his life).

It's like the writers are saying the characters may find fleeting happiness, but don't expect it to last. And I think that's one of the themes of the show - that people in fraught circumstances will take comfort and happiness where they can get it. But long-term commitment? Not so much.

So, as a viewer, I find myself feeling tentative about investing in any of the pairings on this show.*

And for me, that's a strength of the show. After all these years of watching shows with ships I liked that went nowhere, I've kind of burned out on shipping - at least for romantic pairings. Plus, I think this show gives us enough of other types of relationships to invest in. Bonnie/Frank, Bonnie/Annalise, Annalise/Wes, Michaela/Connor, etc. are all compelling to me.

*Now if you put a gun to my head and make me choose, I'll say Annalise/Nate is my ship. And I still want a Wes/Laurel hookup.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

I used to like Annalise and Eve in the beginning. They actually seemed like two relatively mature adults, who respect and understand each other, for a little while. But by the end of the season the show managed to convince me that Annalise was only using Eve's one-sided affection and I'm not here for it. I wonder what was the initial writers' intention with this relationship. A lot of mixed signals there.

Connor and Oliver's relationship was cute, but eventually it completely consumed Connor's character arc. All Connor has been doing throughout the whole second season is whine and freak out about his boyfriend, which is annoying and a waste of a character who initially had a lot of potential.

Nate/Annalise is just horribly written. She frames him for murder, orders to have him beaten it prison, he tries to work against her somehow twice, says nobody will ever love her and how he should kill her... And then everything suddenly is forgiven and forgotten overnight because they just so in love and this relationship is magically sunshine and rainbows. Yeah, sure, I totally buy it. Also the fact that the guy still has neither a personality, nor plot relevance other then being a love interest doesn't help at all.

Asher and Bonnie were unexpectedly interesting together, but it ended like it should have ended given the circumstances. Going back to would be a disservice to Bonnie's character.

Michaela/Asher and Wes/Laurel do seem like they could eventually develop into decent relatively healthy relationships, but I really doubt that any relationship on this show will go this way. It's Shondaland after all.

• Love 1
On August 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM, harmfulhazards said:

I used to like Annalise and Eve in the beginning. They actually seemed like two relatively mature adults, who respect and understand each other, for a little while. But by the end of the season the show managed to convince me that Annalise was only using Eve's one-sided affection and I'm not here for it. I wonder what was the initial writers' intention with this relationship. A lot of mixed signals there.

Connor and Oliver's relationship was cute, but eventually it completely consumed Connor's character arc. All Connor has been doing throughout the whole second season is whine and freak out about his boyfriend, which is annoying and a waste of a character who initially had a lot of potential.

Nate/Annalise is just horribly written. She frames him for murder, orders to have him beaten it prison, he tries to work against her somehow twice, says nobody will ever love her and how he should kill her... And then everything suddenly is forgiven and forgotten overnight because they just so in love and this relationship is magically sunshine and rainbows. Yeah, sure, I totally buy it. Also the fact that the guy still has neither a personality, nor plot relevance other then being a love interest doesn't help at all.

Asher and Bonnie were unexpectedly interesting together, but it ended like it should have ended given the circumstances. Going back to would be a disservice to Bonnie's character.

Michaela/Asher and Wes/Laurel do seem like they could eventually develop into decent relatively healthy relationships, but I really doubt that any relationship on this show will go this way. It's Shondaland after all.

In the show's defense on the Annalise and eve relationship, once Famke moved over to the Blacklist, I think their hands were tied in terms of progressing with the couple, who I too loved, as I actually believed that Annalise really did love Eve, I mean as much as Annalise is capable of loving anyone.  The questions we doesn't have the answers to are: Did the show plan to really explore this relationship, but neglect to sow up FJ, thereby enabling her to go where a guaranteed gig was?  Did FJ jump ship because the show let her know they were backing off of Annalise and Eve in favor of the toxic and destructive rinse and repeat that is Annalise and Nate?

As for potential couples/couples in canvass, I just want Frank away from Laurel because his go nowhere relationship with her ruined his character.  I'm no Laurel fan, so I never got what he found so appealing about her aside from the pretty, but Frank doesn't strike me as the type who has trouble pulling attractive women.

Strangely, the couple that works best are Michaela and Connor and that's because they have developed a good friendship that I want to survive this mess, assuming they survive.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

In the show's defense on the Annalise and eve relationship, once Famke moved over to the Blacklist, I think their hands were tied in terms of progressing with the couple

The final episodes were written in January, the announcement of the possibility of spinoff came in the end of March. I don't know much about how American TV works, but could HTGAWM writers know about this that much ahead of time given the shows are on the different networks? Season 3 though is definitely being written with that in mind and it makes me about Eve's fate. I can easily see them killing her for drama sake or ruining her character in some other way.

5 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

The questions we doesn't have the answers to are: Did the show plan to really explore this relationship, but neglect to sow up FJ, thereby enabling her to go where a guaranteed gig was?

I doubt that this relationship was really meant to go anywhere meaningful. Famke said that initially she was signed up only for two S2 premiere episodes. Than they kept going because Eve was liked both by the writers and the audience and Famke had openings is her schedule and we got three episodes more, but that's just luck.

It is what makes me wonder about what our takeaway was supposed to be. In the two first episodes both writers and actors have really tried to show Annalise's and Eve's feelings as genuine (and did a great job, no way around that), the very next episode Annalise dismisses Eve as "just someone from my past" and proceeds to fawn over Nate. If the schedules didn't work out, or Famke didn't agree to go on that would be it. (But this pattern pretty much repeats itself in all of their further interactions.) Were we meant to believe Annalise was just saying what Eve wanted to hear for manipulation sake (but why put so much effort in making it seem like she was not)? Or that Annalise is just so head over heels in love with Nate that nobody can compare (but nothing in S1 indicated he was more then a sex buddy/ resource to her and the writers didn't show what changed her mind since then)? Or that he is superior by default because he is a guy?

I think if it was supposed to be lasting they would have signed Famke up for more episodes from the start like they did with the actors who played Caleb and Catherine. Or chosen someone more likely to be available at any given moment for the role, like they did with Conrad Ricamora, who was also supposed to be only in one episode and now is a regular.

6 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Strangely, the couple that works best are Michaela and Connor and that's because they have developed a good friendship that I want to survive this mess, assuming they survive.

Well, both authors and actors repeatedly said that it will never ever turn romantic because Connor is gay. And from what I have seen, friendships in fiction tend to be much more stable than romance. Probably writers don't find them as compelling to ruin when they want to add some drama.

10 hours ago, harmfulhazards said:

The final episodes were written in January, the announcement of the possibility of spinoff came in the end of March. I don't know much about how American TV works, but could HTGAWM writers know about this that much ahead of time given the shows are on the different networks? Season 3 though is definitely being written with that in mind and it makes me about Eve's fate. I can easily see them killing her for drama sake or ruining her character in some other way.

I doubt that this relationship was really meant to go anywhere meaningful. Famke said that initially she was signed up only for two S2 premiere episodes. Than they kept going because Eve was liked both by the writers and the audience and Famke had openings is her schedule and we got three episodes more, but that's just luck.

It is what makes me wonder about what our takeaway was supposed to be. In the two first episodes both writers and actors have really tried to show Annalise's and Eve's feelings as genuine (and did a great job, no way around that), the very next episode Annalise dismisses Eve as "just someone from my past" and proceeds to fawn over Nate. If the schedules didn't work out, or Famke didn't agree to go on that would be it. (But this pattern pretty much repeats itself in all of their further interactions.) Were we meant to believe Annalise was just saying what Eve wanted to hear for manipulation sake (but why put so much effort in making it seem like she was not)? Or that Annalise is just so head over heels in love with Nate that nobody can compare (but nothing in S1 indicated he was more then a sex buddy/ resource to her and the writers didn't show what changed her mind since then)? Or that he is superior by default because he is a guy?

I think if it was supposed to be lasting they would have signed Famke up for more episodes from the start like they did with the actors who played Caleb and Catherine. Or chosen someone more likely to be available at any given moment for the role, like they did with Conrad Ricamora, who was also supposed to be only in one episode and now is a regular.

Well, both authors and actors repeatedly said that it will never ever turn romantic because Connor is gay. And from what I have seen, friendships in fiction tend to be much more stable than romance. Probably writers don't find them as compelling to ruin when they want to add some drama.

In the US, spinoff announcements are months in the making.  FJ was on The Blacklist for several episodes prior to the announcement.  So as disconnected as it may sound, there was an overlap, heck, the fact that FJ was avail male to appear on The Blacklist was something that had to be known to the show runners.  

We might never know why FJ was allowed to go because as I stated, I thought and still think that Annalise and Eve were the best, most likable and most rootable couple.  I do however find it interesting that on the heels of losing FJ, Ricamora becomes a regular cast member.  Was it a money issue as I'm sure FJ, would cost more that CR, or did losing FJ let them know they had to shore their talent up?

I was not implying that I want Connor and Michaela to become a couple, my point was they work best because they are not a couple. I guess I can support awful people befriending one another, but not romancing one another because for me to care about a couple, I would have to care about the people who make up the couple and at this stage of the game, none of the characters are likable enough for me to care about them.

32 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

I thought and still think that Annalise and Eve were the best, most likable and most rootable couple.

They really were to me. I actually almost never care about romance because in order to like it I have to love both characters involved and the dynamic between them. Usually something of that is missing. It is really amazing that just in couple of episodes they managed to create an interesting and compelling relationship that felt no less real (and in some cases even more) than ones that had whole two seasons to develop. It was disappointing to see it discarded even if it was inevitable. I'm not saying that the possibility of Annalise's and Eve's romance is destroyed forever for me, but if Famke somehow becomes available again, and writers decide to go on with it, a lot of issues will need to be settled between them for me to be able to buy it again. Just shoving them back together Nate/Annalise-style and pretending nothing was ever wrong would make their relationship just as bad.

By the way, if people who were at Comic Con in London to be believed, Famke was asked there if she believes Annalise is using Eve. She said that Annalise totally is and Eve needs to show her who is the boss. Don't know if the writers will go for that route, but wherever it goes I'm sure Viola and Famke will act the hell out of it. So at least it will be interesting to watch. As long as Eve survives, of course. She somehow managed to become one of my favorite characters.

40 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

I do however find it interesting that on the heels of losing FJ, Ricamora becomes a regular cast member.  Was it a money issue as I'm sure FJ, would cost more that CR, or did losing FJ let them know they had to shore their talent up?

He was de facto a regular already. I believe he appeared in 13 out of 15 episodes of season 2. Oliver is well liked on his own and is a part of the most popular and praised pairing of the show. It was logical to promote him regardless of other circumstances.

51 minutes ago, Happytobehere said:

I was not implying that I want Connor and Michaela to become a couple, my point was they work best because they are not a couple. I guess I can support awful people befriending one another, but not romancing one another because for me to care about a couple, I would have to care about the people who make up the couple and at this stage of the game, none of the characters are likable enough for me to care about them.

I find non-romantic relationships on this show much more interesting too. Connor and Micaela, also Frank and Bonnie have really great chemistry without even a hint of it turning romantic. As messed up as Annalise's and Bonnie's relationship is, it is weirdly fascinating to watch. It will be interesting to see where Annalise and Wes go with her role in his mother's suicide, Mahoney's too convenient death and Rebecca's fate still up in the air. Keating 5 bonding was nice too. I can only hope that in next season there will be more focus on that instead of neverending hookups and breakups.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, doram said:

Huh. There's nothing sibling-like about the chemistry between Wes and Laurel. I predicted a hookup as far back as season 1 when they barely interacted because the few times they did, their scenes were explosive. 

I see siblings. 

• Love 1

Romantic couples:

Connor & Oliver - I'm hoping this break is temporary & Oli finds out about Sam before they get back together

Annalise & Eve, but also Annalise & Nate

Michela & Asher (I realize I am the cheese that stands alone on that one.)

Besties:

Bonnie & Frank

Michela & Oliver

Wes & Laurel (definity get a sibling vibe from these 2 despite that spur of the moment kiss last season. I wouldn't be surprised if the show went there, but I've known far too many blended/ adopted and half sibling families to be thrown by them being difference races)

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 1
On 10/1/2016 at 9:39 AM, darkestboy said:

Going with Connor/Oliver. The consistently best written relationship on the show, romantically.

Agreed (aside from this awful break up plotline)

Though, I do really love Annalise/Eve and Wes/Laurel.

On 10/1/2016 at 1:02 AM, jhlipton said:

You've got a Brie in me!

I like Michaela & Asher, too. I think because they know things about each other that they probably wouldn't share with a future partner, which would mean they would always be lying/covering up. I think Asher always wanted to be with someone but he lacked maturity. Even though he did have something with Bonnie, it was not ever going to be a real relationship. With Michaela, he still has a shot at that. And I think he's fallen for her, too. Asher makes Michaela uncomfortable and she needs that to shake off this idea that she must be someone other than who she is in order to make it. I want them to grow and keep getting to know one another. 

• Love 7
On 9/30/2016 at 10:44 PM, Milaxx said:

Romantic couples:

Count me in as a side of stilton also. If anyone would've proposed these two as a pairing during S1, probably would've laughed myself into hiccups. But Asher made a salient observation in Ep. 2 of this season when he pointed out (rather accurately) that their differences aren't as far apart as Michaela may perceive them. They were both introduced as almost cartoon-like archetypes of the brash, yuppie, young Republican-in-training and her as perfectionist, status-conscious social climber. But as we've watched their carefully constructed worlds fall apart by forging alliances due to necessity, now their layers are being revealed: and they're both much more than first impressions would've had you assume.

Their current "friends with benefits" situation is entertaining to watch as Aja and Matt have settled into an easy onscreen balance which works, but I hope it doesn't remain in limbo there only to garner "are y'all really sleeping together?" disbelief at his expense. While I liked him initially as Bonnie's office boy toy and in spite of fratboy sex humor, Asher comes across as a character that craves monogamy. Bosher's breakup was painful watching because of the very real feelings from both parties, but it never seemed as though Bonnie/Asher were ever meant to be taken seriously. Enter Ms. Pratt. Looking for love defined her plot from the beginning. Unfortunately, she's been searching in all the wrong places. I understand keeping Asher's romantic overtures at arms' length with that kind of track record. Truth be told, he'll always be a hairsbreadth away from river-dancing on your last nerve. And he clearly doesn't jibe with her idealized mold of whom her significant other should be. Yet underneath it all, there's a genuine sweetness at his core that makes you still root for him.

When Michaela swiped Asher's defense strategy for their immigration case mid-hookup at the dorms, it occurred to me, that made an apt metaphor for possibilities of them as a couple. Yes, it was his idea, but it didn't come to fruition until she did the legwork to fill in the blanks left missing from not thinking the strategy through. They could each work as a counterbalance for each other's character weaknesses. His willingness to not take himself so seriously could help loosen that uptight neurosis, soften the rough edges borne from those type-A tendencies. Meanwhile, her competitive drive could channel his academic focus plus those needed blunt doses of real talk can keep his fumbling towards enlightenment an ongoing process.

And if Michaela would allow her guard to come down a bit to acknowledge that their attraction isn't just physical or nearly as lopsided as viewers/fandom think it is, I see Masher (?) (or is it Michasher?) being embraced rather than ridiculed as a crack ship that should've never become canon.

• Love 9
On 9/30/2016 at 10:44 PM, Milaxx said:

Can I be a Camembert of your team? 

Cuz I am totally surprised about how much i like them together.  last season I think I kinda recoiled when they got together at first but I am liking how they are progressing so much.  Part of it probably has to do with how they have completing pulled the rug out from under Asher and also seems to be making Michaela lose some of her pre-conceptions piece by piece so yeah, we are seeing them meeting somewhere on common ground.

• Love 6

Eh, I love Frank and Laurel. I'm a sucker for the tragic. Glutton for punishment. Whatever you want to call it. I know he's screwed up and horrible for her, but I cannot help it. They have this insane chemistry to me. It's like if they are in a scene together it is palpable. 

When it comes to Wes and Laurel, add me to the group that feels like they have a sibling type relationship. I like Wes a lot, but for me he still has somewhat of a grasp on where he stands morally. Which I know sounds funny considering what all these characters have done. I guess what I am trying to say is Wes still questions things they do and he still has a difficult time with certain things. I feel like Laurel will do something (like keep Frank's location from everyone) and not think anything of it if it is what she wants to do or if it is who she wants to be loyal to. The fact that she could justify lying to Wes, when she knows what Frank did to him (shooting Mahoney in front of Wes), explains what I am trying to say perfectly. I think Laurel would only end up hurting Wes because she cannot help herself. A "hard stop" in certain situations still pops up for Wes where it doesn't for Laurel. 

With all that said, I adore Laurel. Absolutely adore her and have since day one, but she operates on a different level than the others. Think of all the times they've freaked out and she hasn't. There is a reason for that, IMO. I feel like there is a side to her that the others (thankfully) don't have. 

• Love 2

ITA about Laurel's calmness.  I think both she & Wes have that calmness due to having traumatic childhood's. Wes's finding his mother with her throat slashed & Laurel being kidnapped equipped them to better cope in crazy situations.

That said I prefer Frank/Laurel too. I see both Laurel/Wes & (despite their sleeping together last week) Bonnie/Frank function better as siblings or beasties.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Milaxx said:

ITA about Laurel's calmness.  I think both she & Wes have that calmness due to having traumatic childhood's. Wes's finding his mother with her throat slashed & Laurel being kidnapped equipped them to better cope in crazy situations.

That said I prefer Frank/Laurel too. I see both Laurel/Wes & (despite their sleeping together last week) Bonnie/Frank function better as siblings or beasties.

I agree! They both had traumatic events happen to them. And maybe the others did too, we don't know all of their stories, but it obviously didn't leave the same lasting effect. 

I still don't think Wes and Laurel are on the same level in certain situations. I still think his moral compass functions even if it has glitches every now and again. Knowing Frank killed Lila and knowing Frank most likely shot Mahoney while Wes stood inches from him Laurel STILL signed her name to what I am sure is some shady illegal something her Dad has going on in exchange for Frank's location. Then she lies to Annalise and Bonnie about it. Lies to Wes about it. For two weeks, that we know of, she kept this to herself and even got a new phone to hopefully protect Frank from her Dad. What did Wes do the millisecond she told him Frank wasn't gone? Wes took her straight to Annalise and made her come clean.  

She's got issues. Big issues. Issues that I wouldn't want around my boy if I was a hardcore Wes fan. He isn't gonna save her. Laurel does what she wants to do (I mean the very fact that Frank even knew Mahoney was the bio Father of Wes is because of her. She, who claimed to be furious at Frank for what he confessed about Lila, went over to his house and was just sitting around having a drink when she spilled those beans.) and nothing operates in her beyond impulse when she gets like that. I've never been 100% certain that the legal field is where Laurel belongs. She's smart and she has good instincts, but she cannot help herself, and so those particular talents would probably be better utilized elsewhere, lol. 

• Love 1

Okay, I am now fully on board the Frank and Bonnie train, which is crazy because I didn't even really like either one of them until the last episode.  I don't like Laurel for some reason and I hope that she is not carrying Frank's baby for many reasons, but mainly because now I want Frank and Bonnie to be together in dysfunctional Bonnie & Clyde fashion.  

I also like Connor and Oliver, but my secret "it will never happen ship" is Connor and Michaela!  In season one I was hoping that Connor was bisexual because I think that the two actors have incredible chemistry and I often found myself yelling "Make Out" at them when they would fight.   Asher just bugs the hell out of me and is so below Bonnie and Michaela its not even funny.  I have no idea what two grown ass women, both of whom Have Seen Some Things, see in him at all.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 3

I'm really liking Masher, thought it was super weird when they hooked up last year but I love serious Asher and I think those two have good chemistry. I hate Waural. I liked Frank & Laurel so I'm not happy to see that ship sink. I haven't liked anyone with Annalise, maybe she'll get a new love interest next season. 

Edited by healthnut
Misspelling
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 7:44 PM, Milaxx said:

Gorgonzola here! ;) Michaela and Asher are definitely my favorite couple on the show. I've been a fan of them together since their bathroom hookup at the end of last season, but I still wasn't completely convinced until the latest episode. And especially now that they've made their relationship official, I love them together and honestly think they are the most endearing couple on HTGAWM.

It was wonderful to see Michaela open up to Asher and finally confess that she has feelings for him. Michaela saying "I like you" back to him is a huge deal because it suddenly makes her vulnerable, which she often avoids being. She understandably is very guarded and puts up a lot of walls because she has been hurt and betrayed in all her past relationships, and I think she has felt alone and that she cannot depend on anyone. However, I loved seeing Asher slowly starting to break down those walls by showing her that she can depend on him and trust him. Asher is definitely a good guy overall, and I think Michaela is starting to recognize that. He obviously has flaws and can be immature and annoying at times, but he is a thoughtful, loyal, caring guy who has strong feelings for Michaela and will treat her with respect.

Also, I just love the dynamic between Asher and Michaela. They're funny and entertaining together, and I think they balance each other out well. Plus, Aja and Matt's chemistry is amazing! And even though they have very different personalities, they are also similar in a lot of ways (like Asher pointed out earlier in the season). They've both been through a lot of crazy, horrible things since the show started, and it's refreshing to see them in a relationship where they can find comfort in each other through all the murder and drama. They can be completely honest with each other, which is refreshing since anyone outside of the Keating clan is not allowed to know what they've been through. They really are family, like Asher said. There definitely is a lot of great potential for this couple, and I hope the writers keep them together for awhile. (I'm not naïve enough to think they are never going to break up because this is such a drama-filled show, but fingers crossed they have a solid relationship and maybe are the endgame couple).

• Love 6

I can't wait to see how her family secrets play into this relationship, I hope they don't set this couple back too much. Who am I kidding this is HTGAWM. But my goodness do I love this cute little couple.  But the flash forward with her telling her mother to not steal anything and her mother not even acting like that's not something that she should be warned about, well....this is gonna be good. I can't wait. 

• Love 1

I'm really liking Masher, thought it was super weird when they hooked up last year but I love serious Asher and I think those two have good chemistry. 

My initial reaction to their hookup, was "meh." Then, on my summertime re-watch, I realized they were kinda hot and intriguing together.

I like Wes and Laurel both as friends, and as a couple (Talk about the cheese standing alone!) For a whole host of reasons, I'm pretty sure their relationship won't last, so I will enjoy it while I can.

I had always wanted Bonnie and Frank to hook up, but was always afraid that might ruin their cool ride-or-die dynamic. Not so! After they slept together in "It's About Frank," I want to see more of them together - romantic or not.

It's hard to have favorite couples on this show. As I've noted before, it's not the kind of show that encourages shipping.

• Love 2

As of now Micheala and Asher are my favorite. They bring out the best in each other. She's not as high strung perfectionist as she was first season. He's  grown up and expanded his worldview from the spoiled frat boy he started as.  You can actually see Asher trying not to be a douche. I like seeing Micheala surprised that someone genuinely cares for her and wants to do better to be worthy of her. It's not perfect. Asher is still Asher, but  I find their relationship very real and believable. Out of all the couples on this show I root for them the most.

• Love 7

Though I understand that romance and couples are quite mandatory aspects of a TV show (not everyone is aromantic as I am), most of the time I dislike when characters are paired, because each part of the couple loses his own agenda and personality and is reduced to the relationship. Although, they managed to avoid it IMO with Asher and Micheala by making them both evolve, not only as a couple but as individuals, so good points for that. Eve and Annalise was also a great pairing due to two extremely strong and compelling actresses but also the quality of their relationship as whole.

On the contrary, Connor and Oliver are one of those couples that are more unnerving than satisfying, I pray for no wedding bullshit next year. Let Connor have more personal storylines and more interactions with non-Oliver characters because Connor is more interesting to watch when interacting with Michaela or Annalise (and JF elevates his acting when paired with stronger actors than Conrad Ricamora who is OK but not that great).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Coxfires said:

On the contrary, Connor and Oliver are one of those couples that are more unnerving than satisfying, I pray for no wedding bullshit next year. Let Connor have more personal storylines and more interactions with non-Oliver characters because Connor is more interesting to watch when interacting with Michaela or Annalise (and JF elevates his acting when paired with stronger actors than Conrad Ricamora who is OK but not that great).

I completely agree with this.  I have thawed toward Oliver a bit based on reaction in the last ep, but I am never going to fully like him.  I am sure Conrad Ricamora is a sweet person, but I simply don't respond to his acting and I wonder if that also translates to my initial dislike of Oliver?  Also, I don't see them as being 'good' for each other in the way Asher and Michaela seem to be good for each other. 

Count me in the camp that have M & A as my favorite couple of the show.  Also count in the camp who is completely and utterly surprised by this revelation.  I was initial 'eww' but now I love them.  Like I said above, I think they compliment each other and make each other better.  I also think they've contributed to each others' growth.  Which is astonishing considering it isn't like a ton of time is spent on their romance, but just enough to have allowed the show show their growth. I don't get that same vibe from Connor and Oliver, on the contrary they seem rather toxic toward each other when they aren't having sex.

• Love 2

I'm hoping that the plan for Oliver and Connor  is to show growth through trials and tribulations. The way I see it, they are back at square one in many ways. It would be more interesting to see them getting to know each other without the lies they started with.  Despite the sexual attraction they may even have to come to the conclusion that they aren't right for each other. I wouldn't call them toxic, but they are definitely dysfunctional. 

As for AK & Eve. I think that's a 2 ships in the night thing. At least for now.  Ignoring Famke's availability, AK would have to do a lot of growing in order to admit and allow herself to completely be with Eve. It took her 10 years to come to terms with losing baby Sam. Part of it was not knowing the truth., but I think part of her drinking problem was not wanting to deal with her guilt over losing him. Whenever the show ends, I'd love to see them wrap up with AK & Eve. Nate will never be more than a place holder as far as I can see.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Milaxx said:

I'd love to see them wrap up with AK & Eve

Me too.  They are my second favorite couple.  I feel like there is such a deep level of knowing and respect there and is completely missing with Nate. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Coxfires said:

Let Connor have more personal storylines

THIS^ times infinity!. They've dropped too many hints about Connor and his insecurities to just make them the hot, gay couple. They should be heading towards Christmas in show time. Does Oliver come home to meet the family? Do we meet parents or see his sister again? Is Connor still in therapy? What happened during those teen years? I don't mind a show when it feels a need to pair or give their main characters love lives. I mean most shows under the Shondaland umbrella are pretty much nighttime soaps. I just want a touch of realism in between the hot sex and schoompy love scenes.

On 3/26/2016 at 0:18 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

This show is odd for a ShondaLand production in that it doesn't seem super interested in having a central romantic relationship. Greys had Meredith and Derek; Scandal has Olivia and Fitz. This show doesn't have a comparable romantic couple that's central to the series. In fact, if I think about any of the romantic pairings on this show (Frank/Laurel, Annalise/Nate, Bonnie/Asher, and yes - I'll even include the dreaded Wes/Rebecca), they have all been portrayed as fairly fraught and doomed. They don't face obstacles in the traditional TV couple sense (like, say, a romantic rival). In all of those pairings, what threatens to keep the characters apart is the flaws in the characters themselves (Rebecca can't trust anyone, so she repeatedly lies to Wes; Frank can't fully open up to Laurel about all the dirt he's done, etc.)

Take the one couple I'm inclined to ship on this show: Annalise and Nate. The show has given us many moments, where we're allowed to think they could work as a long-term couple. But then we're reminded of all the baggage they have (Annalise's well established trust issues, the fact that Annalise basically ruined his life).

It's like the writers are saying the characters may find fleeting happiness, but don't expect it to last. And I think that's one of the themes of the show - that people in fraught circumstances will take comfort and happiness where they can get it. But long-term commitment? Not so much.

So, as a viewer, I find myself feeling tentative about investing in any of the pairings on this show.*

And for me, that's a strength of the show. After all these years of watching shows with ships I liked that went nowhere, I've kind of burned out on shipping - at least for romantic pairings. Plus, I think this show gives us enough of other types of relationships to invest in. Bonnie/Frank, Bonnie/Annalise, Annalise/Wes, Michaela/Connor, etc. are all compelling to me.

*Now if you put a gun to my head and make me choose, I'll say Annalise/Nate is my ship. And I still want a Wes/Laurel hookup.

You could not have said it better! I completely agree with this, except if I have to choose: I choose Micheala and Asher.

It is so refreshing to have a show that primarily focuses on the plot and uses romantic pairings as side notes (and this is coming from a person, who loves to ship couples) But with shipping comes disappointment because a) Your couple is a part for most of the show and eventually become endgame, but you didn't even get to enjoy them being together while the show was on.. or b) They aren't endgame and you wasted all this time on a couple that didn't work out for reasons..

It's awesome that this show actually has quite a bit of romantic pairings, but none of them are compelling enough/more important than the plot for me to get emotionally invested in.  I know some shows like One Tree Hill or The O.C. are about relationship dynamics and ships because that is their plot, but even shows like Buffy that have an outside plot still seem to draw you in and get you emotionally invested in a ship that will most likely disappoint you.   

So basically I give props to Shonda for writing a compelling story that does not revolve around ships..  The other relationships are far more interesting than the ships which most shows fail to do. For example, I would much prefer to watch Annalise's and Wes's dynamic over Wes and Laurels.  (RIP poor Wes)

• Love 1