Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Rock and Roll Queen

Drogo

Ray Romano is so awesome on this show. Having "The Windmills of Your Mind" playing while he figured everything out was perfect.

My previous critiques about this show stand, but Vinyl is salvageable.

• Love 5

So, that was the "meet cute" between Finestra and the lover?  Par for this mess of a show's course.

Blues Magoos????  Reeeally????  Wow.  1967's We Ain't Got Nothing Yet was what they came up with for the conference room scene?  In 1973?!

At least we have the new female exec introducing some reality.  And the beyotch mother who wants better for her prodigal daughter?   The most sane of all.

I will give TPTB credit for having Zak act out what their few viewers would like to do.  

• Love 3

So, that was the "meet cute" between Finestra and the lover? Par for this mess of a show's course.

Blues Magoos???? Reeeally???? Wow. 1967's We Ain't Got Nothing Yet was what they came up with for the conference room scene? In 1973?!

At least we have the new female exec introducing some reality. And the beyotch mother who wants better for her prodigal daughter? The most sane of all.

I will give TPTB credit for having Zak act out what their few viewers would like to do.

I got so caught up in Zak beating up Richie that I forgot how much the things you mentioned bothered me.

At least we have the new female exec introducing some reality. 

Even if it was a bit anvillicious.  I probably could have figured out by myself that Jamie's threesome with the quarreling band members isn't going to end well.

• Love 2

Man, those female industry broads sure get down with the rock stars, don't they? Sluts. Good thing the guys don't indulge in any sexually compromising shenanigs with their female artists.

Oh wait, no women made music in the 70s.

• Love 8

Man, those female industry broads sure get down with the rock stars, don't they? Sluts. Good thing the guys don't indulge in any sexually compromising shenanigs with their female artists.

Oh wait, no women made music in the 70s.

You'd think they'd at least have a Carly Simon clone as a character.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure every Vinyl episode would improve if it just had a random scene where Zak beats the shit out of Richie.  Granted, any character could be the shit out of Richie and it would be great, but Zak has more then earned it.  I really, really dislike Richie, to say the least.

I'm sure Jamie having a threesome with both Nasty Boy guys is totally not going to cause problems down the road!

Random Bruce Springsteen name-drop!  Will he be showing up for the finale?!

Finale is already next week, and I barely care about any of these characters outside of Zak, Jamie, and Lester.

• Love 5

"Hi honey...I'm sorry I fell off the wagon but there is a good reason and once you hear it, I'm sure you will take me back.  So it seems I murdered someone again...wait, where are you going?  You haven't heard how I dicked over my best friend by blaming him for losing thousands of dollars which would have saved our company...'

• Love 5

Retool this show and make the main characters Zack and Jamie.  They are two sides of the same coin.  Gus is the old school guy trying not to lose touch with an industry that is changing overnight and Jamie is the young woman trying to make it in the misogynistic world of the music industry.

Only have Richie and Devon show up as side characters....I am sick of both of them.  Devon's "I have boxes of pictures with iconic artists, that I never even thought to develop, because I am a true artist who does not care about money or celebrity (while complaining the nanny will not take the kids longer, so she can go out and charm Lennon)" was a little to precious.  Sadly, she still is one hundred times better then Richie.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2

Retool this show and make the main characters Gus and Jamie. They are two sides of the same coin. Gus is the old school guy trying not to lose touch with an industry that is changing overnight and Jamie is the young woman trying to make it in the misogynistic world of the music industry.

Only have Richie and Devon show up as side characters....I am sick of both of them. Devon's "I have boxes of pictures with iconic artists, that I never even thought to develop, because I am a true artist who does not care about money or celebrity (while complaining the nanny will not take the kids longer, so she can go out and charm Lennon)" was a little to precious. Sadly, she still is one hundred times better then Richie.

I also am enjoying Clark (the guy demoted to the mailroom who I mistakenly called Lester last week). I like how adversity has pushed him to think outside the box for solutions and new paths. I'm as huge a fan of punk as one will find, but the story of punk with major labels in the 70's was one of missed opportunities, loss cutting, fear, and myopia. There were plenty of visionaries in the biz, but those voices were drowned out when investments failed to return profits. I want a great story about the early days of punk, but the Nasty Bits aren't it. The far more compelling story here is how disco exploded. Why? Because we are seeing club people reacting right away. How many Nasty Bits shows are we seeing? How many audience members are liking what they see? Just like disco isn't properly understood without dance, punk lives or dies on the live experience.

• Love 4

The show should be about the music and the business.  It comes alive when it delves into that and while I have no idea what they are doing with The Nasty Bits (their original punk sound was a HELL of a lot better than the watered down blues E-A-BS nasty bit).  Ritchie's Goodfellas storyline (yawn), his marital issues, Devon's 'artiste' mother-of-the-year ways and the Finestra clan's penchant for murder...both human and animal alike (cat last week and a bat this week) make them to be the most unlikeable characters ever to lead a show and are..bringing...it...to......a...............halt.  Hopefully Ritchie will either get indicted for murder, be rubbed out by the mob, or better yet, take the deal and have them move far...far...away in witness protection so we never have to hear from them again

• Love 2

I'm watching less and less of the show as I fast forward through the 'stars' to watch other parts of the stories, though I hardly watched any of it this week. Not even a good musical bit.

Agree that Jamie and Zak need to be more of the focus (and I don't actually mind the other management people). This episode showed that Nasty Bits haircut guy has more charisma (not to mention chemistry with Jamie) than Mr. Jagger.

Mailroom guy is picking up steam. The cut they played at the disco was off the album that they decided not to promote, right? So he is going to have to get them to release it. See, that's more interesting/original drama than taking loans from mobsters!

The only way I see this show truly becoming what it could be is if they turn it into the young guns completely overthrowing Richie.

Edited by kassa
  • Love 3
Mailroom guy is picking up steam. The cut they played at the disco was off the album that they decided not to promote, right? So he is going to have to get them to release it. See, that's more interesting/original drama than taking loans from mobsters!

Yeah, they decided that "those people do not buy albums".  Their racism kept them from seeing the potential.

• Love 2

Just another post to share the love for Ray Romano ... as I have said before in another thread here, I was never really a fan ... But he is absolutely amazing on this show ... the scene where he realizes what's happened and beats up Richie, there's one moment where his expression is such an amalgamation of anger and sadness and agony ... my husband and I both said at the same exact moment "he's got to win an Emmy for this." And if he's nominated, which he should be, it has to be for this episode.

• Love 1

With the exception of a few moments, the show is still horrible.  AND would it REALLY have been that hard to feature a REAL Rock and Roll Queen? Who REALLY wrote, sang, and performed Rock and Roll music? At this point, I'd even take a Pop Queen. Good grief.

• Love 2
On 4/11/2016 at 6:45 PM, revbfc said:

You'd think they'd at least have a Carly Simon clone as a character.

Her "No Secrets" album cover was featured prominently in some earlier episodes. The woman who played Hawkgirl on the CW's "Legends of Tomorrow", Ciara Renée, is free now and is a dead ringer for that era Carly Simon, as well as a singer. They need to cast her for at least a cameo!

• Love 1