Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: I Like Them All, I Just Can't Choose!

• Start Topic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Metro Atlanta made it through the Irma storm. We didn't get flooding rain (thank goodness) but the whole area had a lot of wind damage, and power outages from trees falling on the lines. Many neighborhoods were out of electricity for three or more days, and many roads were closed because they were blocked by fallen trees. City and county government offices closed for two days. Several school systems had to close for most of the week because there was no power. An entire large shopping center near me had to close for two days due to power outage. Many trees fell on houses. One man was killed when a tree fell on his house.

My neighborhood was not badly impacted (we kept our power on, although it flickered a few times), but a tree fell in my next door neighbor's yard. Luckily, there was no electrical damage because the tree was in his back yard where there were no power lines. Even luckier, the tree missed his house and cars by only a few feet. The tree is still out there on the ground. All the tree service companies are busy cutting up trees that fell on power lines, houses and roadways. It will take a while to clean everything up.

Edited by Coffeecup
Wrong storm! I typed Cindy, which was back in June, instead of Irma. So many hurricanes this year -- I'm losing track of them all.
Just now, Bronx Baby said:

Hi, @KookyKrazy!  You made it!  Yep, this is the place!

Do you possibly remember the male lead in this movie?  That would help.   And is this a sound film?  Norma Shearer made several silents as well.

It was a sound film.  Don't remember the male lead.  It might not be Norma Shearer.  The boyfriend/husband never is seen (I don't think), but he does call and all is good in the end.  LOL 

@Coffeecup so glad you are okay and things will hopefully be back to something recognizing normal soon. 

IKWYM about keeping the hurricanes and storms straight. There have been many this year and on the heels of each other. If I don't watch the news at the start I don't know which hurricane damage they are talking about. It gets confusing. 

@KookyKrazy  Well if it's not Norma Shearer then I've got my work cut out for me, lol!  If it is, the movie might be The Women, 1939.  Her husband strays with shopgirl Joan Crawford.  Norma keeps waiting for his phone call.  He is not seen because there are no men in the cast.  I don't recall a convertible.

Can I jump in?

The original The Women, (1939 ) starring Norma Shearer and no men.

The re-make The Opposite Sex (1956) starring June Allyson and several men.

Norma Shearer = June Allyson

Joan Crawford = Joan Collins

Both movies are based on Clare Boothe Luce's play from 1936.

If this is not the movie, give me a clue on something and I will see what I can pull out of my head.

Edited by Puddy
15 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

OK, you brought a tear to my eye.  Many years ago, I had a swimming pool, and a pool boy.  Suddenly, a pair of mating wild ducks decided it was their honeymoon suite, and the pool boy was let go, as were any chemicals necessary to keep said pool fit for humans.  Those fucking lovebird ducks came back to my mostly drained pool swamp for 8 years.  The saddest sound I've ever heard was the lone ducky quacking for a mate who didn't return on year 9.  ;-(

17 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Not putting words in anyone's mouth, but saw this on FB, and thought I would share for those affected - 

power worker 'heroes'.jpg

Cheers for the hard-working power company crews from all over the country are for real! Thirteen days after Katrina in 2005, with temps in the high 90s, we were sitting on the front steps at dusk, darn near in our underwear, when the power was restored. You could hear cheers and whistles from all directions! Those guys worked long hours in brutal conditions.

On 9/14/2017 at 4:25 PM, Cricket said:

Thank you Fishy

I IM'd u

On 9/14/2017 at 1:56 PM, walnutqueen said:

NO.

Sorry if i hit a nerve.

Just trying to be nice and share my thoughts that I appreciate everyone here. 

Sorry, will keep it in tow next time.

6 hours ago, Thumper said:

Cricket, I have been wondering about you and Joe.  Good to "see" you.   Any news?  

Thank you. The test for the b-raf test failed as they needed more tumor tissue. So we wait.... our oncologist sent an urgent request for additional tissue to sent to the lab doing this genetics test so I hope after all this mental torture, the test will result in him not carrying this genetic fault. The MRI did not pick up on cancer the oncologist said. One small and welcomed miracle. Tonight I have to remove his chemo apparatus... something no spouse should have to do. My heart's with all of you who have had to battle this horrendous disease and are alive here to celebrate another day.

On 9/16/2017 at 10:39 PM, Bronx Baby said:

@KookyKrazy  Well if it's not Norma Shearer then I've got my work cut out for me, lol!  If it is, the movie might be The Women, 1939.  Her husband strays with shopgirl Joan Crawford.  Norma keeps waiting for his phone call.  He is not seen because there are no men in the cast.  I don't recall a convertible.

My favorite movie - the 1939 version!  I have it recorded and I watch it every now and again.  It's the only movie I watch over and over!

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

Anyone have a glass cooktop?  How do you clean it?  I have stuff that makes it shine, but I'm talking about removing the rings that seem to have formed around each burner.  Would an "eraser" sponge do it?

I have used a magic erasure sponge.  It can work, but can take some elbow grease and doesn't always work well.  I use Weimans Glass Cooktop cleaner or Cerambryte with a small piece of non-scratch scrubbie sponge.  usually, though, the rings will come off when I use Weimans cleaner - it has small little particles in it that work to lift the rings off, usually by just using a paper towel.  You can leave the cleanser on for a few minutes then start cleaning it with a paper towel.

What are you using to make it shine?  Usually those products clean and shine......unless you're using a spray.  I've never used one of those.  Weiman's does both, at the same time.

Here's a kit with scrubbing pads and the cleanser......

https://www.amazon.com/Cooktop-Cleaning-Kit-Cleaner-Scrubbing/dp/B073BLLLLQ/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1505986789&sr=8-3&keywords=weimans+glass+cooktop+cleaner

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

My favorite movie - the 1939 version!  I have it recorded and I watch it every now and again.  It's the only movie I watch over and over!

Ditto

This movie never gets old.

21 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I love it too! Every scene is great.

There are a few movies that are perfect to me. The Women is one, also Mildred Pierce. I hope they don't try to remake MP.

7 hours ago, Coffeecup said:

I love it too! Every scene is great.

There are a few movies that are perfect to me. The Women is one, also Mildred Pierce. I hope they don't try to remake MP.

They already did. HBO remade Mildred Pierce as a multi-part mini-series in 2011, starring Kate WInslet. I believe she won an Emmy for the role.

2 hours ago, Booney said:

They already did. HBO remade Mildred Pierce as a multi-part mini-series in 2011, starring Kate WInslet.

The HBO remake was more in alignment with the James M. Cain novel.

The Joan Crawford movie was done in the film noir style.

Being a film noir fan, I prefer the Joan Crawford movie.

On 9/21/2017 at 4:41 AM, lovemesomejoolery said:

I have used a magic erasure sponge.  It can work, but can take some elbow grease and doesn't always work well.  I use Weimans Glass Cooktop cleaner or Cerambryte with a small piece of non-scratch scrubbie sponge.  usually, though, the rings will come off when I use Weimans cleaner - it has small little particles in it that work to lift the rings off, usually by just using a paper towel.  You can leave the cleanser on for a few minutes then start cleaning it with a paper towel.

What are you using to make it shine?  Usually those products clean and shine......unless you're using a spray.  I've never used one of those.  Weiman's does both, at the same time.

Here's a kit with scrubbing pads and the cleanser......

https://www.amazon.com/Cooktop-Cleaning-Kit-Cleaner-Scrubbing/dp/B073BLLLLQ/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1505986789&sr=8-3&keywords=weimans+glass+cooktop+cleaner

Thank you to those who responded to my question about glass cooktop cleaners!  I have the Weiman's cleaner and may try letting it sit for a few minutes on the glasstop.  In the past, it has shined, but not really cleaned.

3 hours ago, artisto said:

The HBO remake was more in alignment with the James M. Cain novel.

The Joan Crawford movie was done in the film noir style.

Being a film noir fan, I prefer the Joan Crawford movie.

Shoot, I didn't know they'd remade MP. I don't subscribe to HBO. Thanks to everyone for the heads up.

I like the film noir Joan Crawford version better too. I bought Cain's MP novel and was surprised to see how much the screenplay diverged from the novel. Spoiler alert: in the novel, nobody was murdered, and the character of ungrateful daughter Vida was much more developed. The novel Vida was a complicated person with a rare musical talent, truly gifted, and she was forgiven for many of her faults because of her talent. She ended up being a success, not stuck working in a dive bar as in the movie. The novel was a good story, but not as satisfying to me as the film noir version.

For HGTV fans: Vulture.com has a long, interesting critical article about the show.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/the-ugliness-behind-hgtv-never-ending-fantasy-loop.html

"Beware the Open-Plan Kitchen:  There’s nothing more addictively soothing than watching someone flipping homes on HGTV. Until we end up in a real-life rerun of the housing bubble."

The article has plenty of good snarky comments about the couples featured on the show: Bristol and Aubrey Marunde (Flip or Flop Vegas), Property Brothers Jonathan and Drew Scott, Christina and Tarek El Moussa (Flip or Flop), Joanna and Chip Gaines (Fixer Upper),and others. The article also summarizes the history of HGTV programming and how much it has changed since 1994. 

It ties in the HGTV encouragement of house flipping with statistics on how much real estate speculation and house flipping contributed to the real estate crash:

"A recent, worrisome working paper released by the National Bureau of Economic Research reported on the tinder of the last conflagration: the national sense that housing prices were going up every day and that there was no way that a buyer’s reach could exceed his grasp. It’s true that bankers made loans to Americans wildly unqualified for them — but the notion that buyers on the lower end of credit distribution began to default in unprecedented numbers isn’t accurate. In fact, the rate of default in the subprime market throughout the bubble and the bust remained steady compared with before the crisis. It was buyers from the top and middle top who account for the skyrocketing rate of default — and it wasn’t that they were buying bigger family homes that they couldn’t afford. It was that they were buying additional houses to flip for a profit, and when holding on to them stopped making financial sense, and with no personal and emotional connection to them, they began walking away in huge numbers.

"And yet … the flippers on HGTV make it look so simple, so fun. At the end of each episode, they run the numbers and show how much the happy couples have pocketed. What could the network be quietly motivating its viewers to do?..."

I haven't watched HGTV regularly in many years, because it got too reality show-ish for me, and as the article points out, they abandoned the idea of giving tips for frugal homeowners doing small projects. But I see HGTV whenever I'm in a doctor's waiting room. Usually the Property Brothers are on. Can't stand them, and don't like the looks of the renovations they do.

When I need small project tips now, I Google the project, or look for videos on YouTube. YT has loads of useful videos from ordinary people.

Edited by Coffeecup
8 minutes ago, Coffeecup said:

they abandoned the idea of giving tips for frugal homeowners doing small projects.

Totally the reason why I stopped watching HGTV or became disinterested anyway.  The projects they did were massive.   Sure, it's fun to dream once in a while, but then you have to wake up and deal with what you have and a limited budget. 

I am beyond tired of all the house flipping shows and have gotten to where I feel the same about the tiny home shows. The only tiny home show I still kind of liked aired on FYI and it had people looking for tiny homes outside of the trailer looking ones. They had people looking at smaller homes, condos and apartments. I liked Fixer Upper for awhile when it first started airing on HGTV. Over time I started to get weird vibes (sounds silly I know) when watching Chip and Joanna. The more they try to project their wholesome image the faker they came off as people.

Thank you all for the tips for cleaning glass top stoves. I use ceramabryte or whatever it is called, and a razor but I think i will try the Weiman's cleaner next. This place is great!

I also agree with many here about HGTV. I used to like shows like Room By Room and Design on a Dime because I could get some neat ideas I could affordably incorporate in my home. Not anymore though! I like Fixer Upper, but it is on way too much now and I am sick of the shiplap everywhere. I do like them as a couple, I feel they are genuine. Just like the Q though, they take a good idea and run it down your throat until you can't stand the sight of it! (IMO). I have to say I still love watching David and Hillary duke it out. I miss Desta and their old crew. That is one show I did not get sick of and seriously, there were few designs if any, of her's I did not like. I think the only time she really would lose out to David were those instances where square footage mattered and she could not give it to them. The only thing that really irks me about that show is how inane some of the homeowners are. You can't get a palace on a dog house budget. I don't know if these people are really that dense, or if the writer's want them to present themselves that way for "drama".

On 9/16/2017 at 10:39 PM, Bronx Baby said:

I'm pages behind, so apologies if it seems like I am ignoring current comments; I just haven't caught up with them yet.

I saw "The Women" when it was a revival on Broadway when Myrna Loy was in it. What a thrill it was to see her in real life! The cast also included Kim Hunter, Alexis Smith, Rhonda Fleming, Dorothy Loudon, and Jan Miner. It was a blast seeing all of them up close.

HGTV lost me when they stopped doing any type of gardening shows.  I like only a couple of the shows now - the one with Hillary the designer and I cannot think of the show, sorry, and I occasionally, on Sunday nights, watch people try to buy a beach home or a Caribbean home, just because it makes me forget I have to go to work the next day! 

@Kamerakrazy, I hope our input on your movie question helped!

Hey, guys, I'm in the minority here but have got to be honest -- not a fan of The Women.  Joan Crawford and Roz Russell give terrific performances, and the fashion show is wonderfully campy, but I hate the way females are portrayed -- bitchy, competitive, needy, shallow.  Ugh to the max!   And this is not my favorite Norma Shearer performance. (that would be The Barretts of Wimpole Street) 

On the other hand, I love Mildred Pierce.  Have to watch whenever it's on.  Jack Carson in particular is the standout for me as Wally.  He's one of my favorite character actors and never disappoints, especially in dramatic parts.

17 minutes ago, Bronx Baby said:

@Cricket, you look as young as your daughter.

As always, sending healing thoughts....

LOL thanks, actually I get that all the time and Jenn HATES IT. As I said though, with this stress I've aged fast.

44 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

HGTV lost me when they stopped doing any type of gardening shows.  I like only a couple of the shows now - the one with Hillary the designer and I cannot think of the show, sorry, and I occasionally, on Sunday nights, watch people try to buy a beach home or a Caribbean home, just because it makes me forget I have to go to work the next day! 

Remember Gardening by the Yard? I absolutely  LOVED this show! His sense of humor just cracked me up.

p186196_b_v7_aa.jpg

A commercial annoys me so much I came here to post about it. Just saw it again seconds ago while watching NCIS.

It's the Triscuit ad that tells us "Make 'Scuit happen."

There are multiple things wrong with this ad but relating their product to "shit happens" is the biggest NO!

21 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Yes!  Loved it....there were two others I really enjoyed - A Gardeners Diary and A Gardeners Journal.  I miss all of these so much.

heck, I still miss The Victory Garden!!!

I liked Yard Crashers on HGTV.  I can't stand House Hunters. Some of the people seem very entitled and nitpick houses that I would love to live in. 

The hubby likes to watch Flipping Vegas on A&E. I cannot stand the guy on that show. I'm surprised he is still married based on now he treats his wife on camera.