Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E01: The Big Leap

• Start Topic

In the Season 31 premiere, a wild first day results in sexual tension between Dione and two female roommates; and proud Jenna, who's not afraid to express her opinions, tests everyone's patience.

In case you didn't see my post on the Media thread . . . MTV will be following the episode with a "meet the cast" special. I don't know if the network will be bringing out "after shows" for every RW episode.

ETA: An hour after the premiere, and no responses? Bad sign. Basically, we got a big box of crazy and Ceejai, who seems too normal for this show, and who will probably be going home. I'm thinking the casting department will get bonuses for unearthing Jenna. I'm betting she's not a fan of the show's older seasons. Remember Mike bringing up his racist uncle to Coral? That was just a relative . . . Jenna is being upfront with her prejudices, and she's gonna get her ass kicked for that. And my theory about BMP willing to kill their cast members gets some evidence . ..  not with the hot air balloon bungee jump, but by throwing in Hoverboards. I hope the fire department has a station nearby.

ETA2: Not impressed by the potential replacements. Dylan needs to be smacked harder than the incumbent guys.

• Love 2

Watched the episode but not the meet the cast.  Not sure wjhy, after finally breaking a my Real World addiction a few years back, that I find myself interested in this new format.  It's probably because I loved Road Rules, and I enjoy seeing them challenged rather pretend to work at some stupid job.  

The cast had the level of crazy I fully expected.  I agree with Latern7, Jenna's a rare find.  Points to Ceejai for keeping a straight face and not laying into her during that bathroom discussion.  Like several of the other castmembers, I would've been forced to walk away from that level of ignorance.  From the previews, it appears to only get worse,

Thought that I'd hate spandex wearing Cape Cod guy but other than the constant hair flipping, he seems OK.  Reserving judgement on the rest for now.  I'll keep watching.

• Love 2

I thought I'd hate the spandex guy with the 90's hair too but I agree he actually seemed okay. I had to laugh when he unpacked his wardrobe. "Here's my tie dyed lab coat, here's my road crew vest I found in the middle of the street" etc... Ceejay's story was heartbreaking and extra points to her for not telling that ignorant girl off. From the previews it looks like she doesn't hold back for long. It will be sad to see her go (if she does) but I'm looking forward to Daisy Duke getting hers. I hope she is a rare find. It pains me to think there a lot of younger people like her out there.

• Love 2

Jenna needs to learn to read a room or STFU. Dean's side-eye during her "I hope you don't think I'm racist but here's a bunch of racist shit spewing out my mouth" speech was epic.

And gold-plated aluminum pussy should remember that eavesdroppers deserve whatever they've heard.

• Love 3

Man, people these days with the "unique" name spellings. CeeJay? The name is no more interesting with it spelled that way. Just sillier looking. Her story was heartbreaking though.

Wow, only a handful of posts....kind of surprised.

Not sure why they decided to go with a potential revolving door of cast members (go look at Bad Girls Club ratings if you think it is a good idea).

But at least they seem interesting.

Already really liking Dean and Ceejai and I agree, they are just too damn normal for this show. And probably two of the most likable cast members in a LONG damn time.

They handled Jenna perfectly. You don't fight ignorance and racism with violence or screaming, you show people how ignorant they are by showing them they have been brainwashed their entire lives. That the stereotypes they have been raised to believe are just that, stereotypes.

Now having said that, everyone has their limit. If she can't get her ignorant/racist views under control, well, can't say I would blame anyone for going off on her. I am all for teaching even the most ignorant person, but some people don't WANT to be taught.

I am scratching my head over how readily she spews opinions that she HAS to know are controversial at the very least?

And yes, spandex man (can't remember his name) actually is more likable than I thought he would be.

Golden vagina woman should realize when you say stupid things like that, people are probably going to be laughing behind your back.

Do most of these people not have any self awareness?

• Love 2

Wow, only a handful of posts....kind of surprised.

Not sure why they decided to go with a potential revolving door of cast members (go look at Bad Girls Club ratings if you think it is a good idea).

More people for the challenges would be the answer. And they've additional cast members for the past three years with exes and "skeletons" previously. The exes thing saved this show from cancellation so the gimmicks will remain.

• Love 2

Geez...I don't know if I'm just too old for these people now or if this is the homeliest group of Real Worlders in a long time. With the exception of Ceejai and Dean, none of them are very attractive. Usually they cast model looking people with maybe one less conventionally attractive person. I'm guessing they cast for maximum drama this time instead of prettiness.

The southern girl is a hot mess. And isn't Ceejai from Atlanta? I know it's a city and pretty different than rural Georgia, but the other girl acts like she's from another country, not the next state over. I'm sure Ceejai has ran into her kind before down there.

Geez...I don't know if I'm just too old for these people now or if this is the homeliest group of Real Worlders in a long time. With the exception of Ceejai and Dean, none of them are very attractive. Usually they cast model looking people with maybe one less conventionally attractive person. I'm guessing they cast for maximum drama this time instead of prettiness.

It's been quite a while since I have tuned into the Real World, but this was the first thing that I thought.  Well, that and all the excited yelling over every little thing.  I can't believe I'm in a car in the desert!  Let's go to the pool!  I tune into these types of shows for the crazy Jennas and great looking people.  I hope the revolving door brings in better looking people.

Um, is it just me or were there hardly any people other than the cast members at the Gold Spike club?  You know, the spot to be at in Vegas?  My guess is the other people were the crew.

I liked this a little more than I thought I would but WOW Jenna. Not only should you never say what she did but on the first day??? Holy shit. Props to Dean and especially CeeJai (my current favorite)

Agree with the others that Dione was more likable than I thought.

I want to like Kailah and she was mostly cool other than the "golden pussy" comments. STFU.

And to be shallow for a second, Sabrina is...not cute. I hate to say that but her eyebrows are throwing me off.

• Love 1

And to be shallow for a second, Sabrina is...not cute. I hate to say that but her eyebrows are throwing me off.

She's cute in some of her pics in the meet-the-cast special. But during the regular show, there was definitely something wrong with her eyebrows.

Also, I can't even comment on Jenna.

Edited by JillFLA

Jenna's casual racism was really disturbing. I assume Ceejay was just allowing her to dig her own hole? Hate to see what happens that causes her to flip out. Also, I'm disturbed that Dean would still find Jenna attractive after all the crap that came out of her mouth.

I'm too old to be watching this shit.

Edited by lightbeam
  • Love 5

Well she admits she hasn't been anywhere.  Not sure Las Vegas is the place to find enlightenment but has to be better than whichever small South Carolina town.

Wonder if this was filmed before or after the shooting in SC and the subsequent removal of the Confederate flag from state buildings.

Yeah not an attractive cast.  Kailah could be okay but she's trying too hard with the tat, the nose ring and worst of all, the attitude.

Sabrina overestimates her looks and says she'll leave in the middle of sex if the guy isn't doing it for her and then in the Meet the Cast thing, says guys need to learn to finger.  Must have had a lot of bad sex.

They must be showing the replacements because they will be on the show at some point.  So some people declining to do the stunts or someone pisses off the rest of the cast.

Racism Girl seemed to be trying too hard, like she wanted to push that big moment where someone confronts her and she gets to defend herself in a big dumb cat-fight. Looks like she gets it, eventually, too. Congrats?

I was creeped out by the dude who was really eager to just overlook Racism Girl's racism in order to bang her. There are other girls to bang, especially with cameras following them everywhere. Why these hamsters so often resort to in-house incest, I dunno -- well, I guess there's always some looming "Exes" version of The Challenge to keep in mind. Still, creepy dude hopefully gets laid elsewhere. I don't really need to see a story about him using the token she-tool as a sex doll.

Seems like nothing else really happened because half the episode was about jumping out of hot-air balloons.

TLDR: Contrived stunts and bigotry.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 1

I'm more horrified by Kailah's eyebrows. I couldn't stop staring at them. I think they're horrendous.

Well it seems like the format of the show this season is just to see who might be good and who might be a hot mess at the challenge.  

Jenna the ignorant racist.  Boo.  It's the cliche casting move and of course they also cast one or two people of color that the racist "I was raised this way and I don't know any better" girl gets to spew her racism all over them and often they have to just sit there and take it.  But sure, it's entertainment...who cares if it is purposeful and vile.  Shame on you MTV.

• Love 1

enna the ignorant racist.  Boo.

I had mixed feelings. On one hand, I can't blame her for how she feels about all of the ignorance about the South and what the Confederate flag really symbolizes; OTOH, it sounds like her area at least hasn't progressed quite as much as she thinks it has.

Dean cracks me up.  I know it's cold, but he honestly treats women like holes, which a lot of men do.  It's funny because the girl who likes sex and will stop it in the middle if it's not good, she's trying so hard to make people think she thinks like men.  

The hotel is so bullshit.  LOL - ooh - this pool party is so good *crickets*...  Bar is open 24/7 *crickets*.  Why do they have to keep talking and/or driven to locations in their hotel???

I would hate to have my child have to tell that story.  Goodness, that was a punch in the stomach.  She is so very calm and thoughtful.I really hope she goes so far!

• Love 1

I can't believe I'm still watching this craptacular show nearly a quarter of a century after it originally aired. I think it's sad they have to resort to gimmicks like "go big or go home" to be able to stay on the air, but I'll definitely tune in to see what the producers come up with. The beginning felt more like Road Rules than The Real World. Jumping out of a hot air balloon was cool, but I think what they did in the Mojave Desert by writing messages to loved ones on lanterns and releasing them into the sky was one of the coolest things I've ever seen on this show. What a touching moment!

It's another lame cast, but CeeJai' and Dean are standouts. I respect them both for not blowing up on Jenna when she went on her ignorant rant. We've seen people react more harshly to much less too many times on this show. That racist bullshit Jenna was spewing sure was uncomfortable. The fact that she thought it was okay to say this stuff in front of 2 black people and expect them to be okay with it is mind-blowing. That's not the right audience for that. She should save it for the Klan meeting. After an initial side eye, Dean got over it quickly because he was so sprung on Jenna's ass. Kudos to CeeJai' for taking the high road and understanding that Jenna is just ignorant and needs to be educated. 

CeeJai's story was touching. She's such a strong person. Even so, I don't know if it was wise for her to appear on The Real World. She seems mature enough to handle it and obviously passed psychological testing prior to the show, but there has to be some psychological trauma from her past. History has shown that if someone comes on this show with issues that they're only manifested on camera. Although CeeJai' is keeping her cool now, it wouldn't surprise me if she ends up snapping and hitting the racist girl. She has been through some serious shit. It could be draining for her to have to deal with the pettiness in the house and to live with a judgmental and racist roommate like Jenna.

Chris, the pancurious Mormon who is wiling out, seems okay. Kailah sure does think she's hot shit with her golden vagina, but I just found her boring. Sabrina seems to be on the show primarily to find her birth mom. I think she's supposed to be the comic relief, but I don't find her that funny. I can't stand Dione. I got major Johnny Bananas vibes from this assclown Fabio. And I fear we'll be seeing him on The Challenge for the next 15 years. 

Edited by jmonkey
  • Love 3

Wish lanterns did look beautiful filling up the night sky but it's banned in several states for environmental reasons.  Not to mention the Western states have problems with forest fires.

I searched a bit and seems to be mainly a Chinese thing.  

• Love 1
(edited)

Racist girl- fuck off. No excuse. Do you live in some kind of bubble? Was logical reasoning, reading a room, and intelligence removed from your stupid excuse for a brain?

And of course its the South yet again* being represented by racism on reality TV. (And yes I understand the reasons why, but it's still obnoxious in 2016.) I live in the south and have never had anyone around me make a racist comment, nor have I known anyone to be racist. You know where I've encountered several racist people? When I lived in the midwest. The south doesn't have a monogamous relationship with racism. Racist people are everywhere. But if you watched reality TV, you'd think it was a condition only those backwards gun totin' southerns have.

There are racist idiots everywhere, and that racist walking hybrid stereotype from the 50's/ '70s can get to stepping. "Colored". You have got to be f'n kidding me.

Meanwhile, its misogyny as usual at the RW house. I can't.These people all suck. With the obvious exception of the law student. Please go do that instead. You are an inspiration, of what can come from great tragedy, go continue to do you!

I don't know anyone's name. But that horrible guy that wanted to sleep with racist girl(?) was married for four months? Gee can't see why that didn't work out. He's a loser. Locker room talk. Guy talk. Fuck off. You are assholes.

I can't believe I watched a show with a real man in his 20's saying "disposable aluminum vagina", and a loser shooting guns with a confederate flag explaining...well crap everything that came out of her mouth was offensive.

You would think we were watching 31 years ago- damn.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 1

Haven't finished the episode, but could have predicted Jenna was going to be a problem because she clearly had a confederate flag wherever she lives.  That is almost never a good sign.....even for the guys who claim its just about being a rebel or whatever.  They also had the one black guy there....Dean.....salivating over her and I thought "he is going all crazy for this girl from the South who lives with a confederate flag?  Oh thats going to go all sorts of bad real quick like."

But as you all say, unrepentant racists are a rare find, and how she thought that was going to be a good look for an MTV show is a mystery to me.

Dean cracks me up.  I know it's cold, but he honestly treats women like holes, which a lot of men do.  It's funny because the girl who likes sex and will stop it in the middle if it's not good, she's trying so hard to make people think she thinks like men.  

I've never had a man stop me in the middle of sex and tell me to get out.  Maybe men are much nicer than her?  Or....I'm just that amazing :)

Oh no, do not apologize to this bitch for that joke, because I found it amusing.  You just told two guys that you have a "golden pussy" and that they would fall in love with you if they had sex with you because you're so amazing.  If you're gonna make that sort of statement, you have to be prepared for some pretty big backlash.  Not to mention that they didn't say it with the intention of hurting you, they said it in private.  So, if you don't want people to talk shit about you: 1) don't brag about your golden pussy and 2) don't go walking in on conversations that you weren't a part of and then get offended.

I mean, did she think the bathroom conversation was going to be like "gee, do you really think her pussy is gold plated?"  "Yeah, maybe its some sort of lab accident or something?"  "We should tell the producers she has a medical condition, because I think the gold could seep into her blood, and I really care about this girl that I've known for a grand total of a day."

I'm more horrified by Kailah's eyebrows. I couldn't stop staring at them. I think they're horrendous.

Thank you, her eyebrow game is WEAK!  I think they were two different shapes AND in different places.

If the words "not to be racist or anything...." come out of your mouth, you're about to say something racist.  Its just a fact of life.  Stop saying whatever you're going to say if those are the words that are going to precede what you're going to say.

And by the way, Jenna, maybe you need to worry more about your snaggletooth and fucked up teeth and less about how black people feel.  

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1