Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Chapter 41

(edited)

I was one of the people who actually liked season 3. Watching the Underwoods disintegrate was fascinating. Watching them passively agressivly nip at each other is even more so. The boiling with barely contained rage Frank and the calculating Icy Claire are among my favorite couples on television.

The new characters are looking interesting but it is nice to see that the old characters aren't being forgotten either.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

And Denise Johnson has restaurant hostess Gina Torres on her team so all kinds of ass will be kicked.

I can't watch "Purple Heart" without craving mashed potatoes based on LGH's speech at the end regarding growing up in poverty.

So I feel like I should be on Claire's side because Frank is so terrible. But Claire's sense of entitlement is seriously off-putting. Therefore, I enjoyed seeing Frank spike her guns at the State of the Union address. It's a bit like semi-rooting for Walter White through most of Breaking Bad. But really, these two are just horrible people.

It doesn't help that the show has such a chilly and humorless mis-en-scene. I can't binge on it because it leaves me with such a bad feeling. 2 episodes at a time, max, for me.  The British version was much more gleefully OTT, and I could rip through that one. I wish this show would get back to some of the sarcastic and cynical asides from FU, and show a little more humor.

• Love 12
(edited)
It doesn't help that the show has such a chilly and humorless mis-en-scene. I can't binge on it because it leaves me with such a bad feeling. 2 episodes at a time, max, for me.  The British version was much more gleefully OTT, and I could rip through that one. I wish this show would get back to some of the sarcastic and cynical asides from FU, and show a little more humor.

Thanks for sharing this. I've never seen the original Brit show and was thinking about watching it, but gleeful OTT drama is not for me. I prefer gritty realism and HOC has been leaning in that direction. I was liking the lack of Frank's fourth-wall comments this season. I sighed in defeat when his mustache-twirling came back.

Edited by numbnut

I saw the British version too and although i liked it I think this is a thousand time better.  I don't think it is realistic at all.  I want to compare it to Shonda Rhimes but I guess Shonda Rhimes at her best.  It has the same kinda of melodrama and out there premise that just quite almost works despite its lunacy.  I also enjoy Frank breaking the fourth wall but in small doses.  Sometimes it does get a little much.   

I do disagree that the show is not humorous.  Maybe not lol humor but it does have a dark sense of humor that kind of appeals to me.  

Thanks for sharing this. I've never seen the original Brit show and was thinking about watching it, but gleeful OTT drama is not for me. I prefer gritty realism and HOC has been leaning in that direction. I was liking the lack of Frank's fourth-wall comments this season. I sighed in defeat when his mustache-twirling came back.

I would recommend at least trying the UK original anyway. The lead actor, Ian Richardson, is top-notch. I didn't mean to imply that the series is silly. It has more black humor and doesn't seem to take itself quite so seriously. But there is plenty of grit.

• Love 2

Claire can't be thinking of running for Governor, can she? Of Texas? Maybe in 2032 it'll be a purple state, but right now it's blood red.

Texas isn't really THAT red. You've got a lot of hispanics, liberal capital of Austin and large liberal pockets in San Antonio, El Paso, Dallas and Houston. The rural northwest is the reddest part of America but it's also thinly populated. I can see how a Democrat would think it's possible to flip it. 

• Love 1

Texas isn't really THAT red. You've got a lot of hispanics, liberal capital of Austin and large liberal pockets in San Antonio, El Paso, Dallas and Houston. The rural northwest is the reddest part of America but it's also thinly populated. I can see how a Democrat would think it's possible to flip it. 

Excellent points. My rebuttal: Governor Greg Abbott.

• Love 1

After only two episodes, it's obvious that Claire's mom is going to be a handful. From telling Claire not to wear an ivory dress (which she hasn't even seen) on tv because it will expose her figure flaws to her "I'm the mother!" outburst, this is not a woman who is going to lie down and let her daughter trample her. And Claire is definitely her mother's daughter. It takes one to know one. When Claire threatened to sell the land, I was like damn, that is COLD. I mean, that would be cold under normal circumstances but threatening to do that to your mother when she is still undergoing cancer treatments and it's been all of, what, a day since you called a press conference to divulge your mother's medical condition to cover up the mutual temper tantrum that you and your spouse are having is another level of cold.

On the other hand, Claire was so very naive to take Frank at his word that if she showed up to the State of the Union, he would give her all the support she wanted. You've met your husband before, right?

It was nice to see Remy again, but he's still banging Jackie? You deserve better than being someone's sidepiece, Remy!

• Love 7
(edited)

I thought this episode was one of the weakest of them all.  The only part I really enjoyed was Frank's State of the Union speech, for the times he looked up at Claire.  There was so much subtext in his expressions, and his two timing grin was a welcome contrast to Claire's nearly impassive bearing.  I was starting to get a little tired of that.  I also feel as though Claire is being a bit disingenuous - how could she not have realized, all this time, that Frank had been putting his career above all?  That doesn't make it right, and I have absolutely no problem watching a woman who wants power just as much as he does, but Claire's self-righteous, wounded air - well, that doesn't look good on anyone.

I was one of the people who actually liked season 3. Watching the Underwoods disintegrate was fascinating.

I liked Season 3 as well.

So I feel like I should be on Claire's side because Frank is so terrible. But Claire's sense of entitlement is seriously off-putting. Therefore, I enjoyed seeing Frank spike her guns at the State of the Union address. It's a bit like semi-rooting for Walter White through most of Breaking Bad. But really, these two are just horrible people.

Well said.  At this point, the only one I'm rooting for is LeAnn.  I would love for her to turn the tables on all of them and end up pulling the strings and double crosses.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn

I don't think it is realistic at all.

I think the more OTT parts, like Russo's "suicide" and Zoey's "accident" are not realistic, but I think all the scheming, manipulation, and duplicity are a pretty accurate depiction of what goes on in politics. I mean, I do quite a bit of volunteer work for my daughter's school, and you would not believe the political scheming and BS that goes on, and we're just talking about a little local elementary school. Add obscene amounts of power and money to the mix, and I'm pretty sure there's almost nothing people won't do to get what they want.

• Love 4

Frank and Claire are such interesting characters, I alternate between rooting for each of them, and that's probably thanks to the acting, because objectively I don't like either. And still I love them as characters and root for them (as characters, mind you).

I thought it was brilliant to get us to know Claire's mum, and that goes some way to show us where Claire has been coming from. She rebelled against her milieu but still exploited her roots and carries all her upbringing with her - and is not afraid to use it - when it can help her.  

• Love 4

I mean, I do quite a bit of volunteer work for my daughter's school, and you would not believe the political scheming and BS that goes on, and we're just talking about a little local elementary school. Add obscene amounts of power and money to the mix, and I'm pretty sure there's almost nothing people won't do to get what they want.

Queasy-bo, I think you might enjoy the book "Big Little Lies" by Liane Moriarty if you haven't read it already.  I really recommend it, and they are doing an HBO series of it next!  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

My favorite show about soulless assholes running the country for their own personal gain is back.  I know people have already blown through the whole season, but House of Cards is like a fine wine to me so I'm going to watch it slowly and savor it.  I loved it when Frank blindsided Claire at the STU.  Their subsequent meeting was also terrific with the rage and hostility they feel for each other buried beneath their cool matter-of-factness.  The timing of this season is also great what with the current election and the major theme of a Washington that has become completely self-serving and out of touch with Americans.

• Love 4

I need a second opinion on this because I'm unable to find anything on it at all on the internet so far:

Either I've gone nuts, or there is a portrait of CSA general Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson hanging in the staircase of the Underwood White House - you can see it quite clearly at about 26min into this episode, when Claire takes her shawl off at the top of the stairs, just after her run-in with Doris Jones.

The portrait in question is, I belive, this one, with one or two inches cropped off the bottom.

I've cross-checked with a couple of sources listing the artwork in the White House, and the only other portrait picture I could find of a man in unform (as the picture in this episode clearly depicts one, even if it happens to not be Jackson) would be the presidential portrait of Zachary Taylor - and it definitely isn't that portrait, or an alternate one of Taylor (wrong type of beard).

Should this indeed be Jackson, what is the intention behind it? Some in-joke I (as a non-american) am not getting?

The two pictures at the bottom of the staircase were Washington and Lincoln - something to do with Emancipation?

I fail to see a personal connection to president Underwood, as general Jackson has, to the best of my knowledge, no connection whatsoever to South Carolina (he was a Virgina-man pretty much all his life).

Is this simply the set-design people having a laugh?

Anyone?

Also: who is the gentleman on the picture next to the alleged Jackson portrait - it looks vaguely familiar to me, but I can't, for the life of me, figue out who that is. Then again, I'm not really very firm in US history, compared to educated "natives".

Edited by Pointer
(edited)

So this is all I got from the Not!Putin phone call:

Petrov is doing something we don't like, and we want him to stop. Keeping the defector is our only leverage.

1. Is there anyone who is able to fill in just a little bit more of the puzzle? Like, what is he doing that we don't like, and why don't we like it?

2. Whatever this something is--is it the same thing making headlines on CNN this morning?

Edited by Milburn Stone

I mean, I do quite a bit of volunteer work for my daughter's school, and you would not believe the political scheming and BS that goes on, and we're just talking about a little local elementary school.

The most vicious personal attacks I've ever seen occurred in a community meeting to decide where in a local park the swings should go.

• Love 2

A Democrat hasn't won a statewide office in Texas in 22 years. And it's been 26 years since they last won the Governer's mansion. The last presidential candidate to carry Texas was Jimmy Carter 40 years ago. But maybe the fictional version in House Of Cards is a bit more purple.

Edited by Cara

I thought it was brilliant to get us to know Claire's mum, and that goes some way to show us where Claire has been coming from. She rebelled against her milieu but still exploited her roots and carries all her upbringing with her - and is not afraid to use it - when it can help her.  

Having just seen performances of Henry IV (both parts), I found that Elizabeth and Claire reminded me in a weird way of King Henry IV and Prince Hal: the dying parent and the rebellious child. I'm not sure what Elizabeth's expectations of Claire were, other than not marrying Frank. Did she want her daughter to be a Traditional Southern Lady, marry one of the boys from her own class, and channel all her ambitions into volunteer work? Or did she expect Claire to forge her own political (or other) career without "marrying down"? In any case, I love her and her tea-sipping wolf pack of friends.

The back and forth between the Underwoods is great.  Them having to turn their schemes on each other is taking away from the schemes on others.  I wonder what office Clair will look to now.  Will she concoct some scheme to entice Celia away from running and Clair will be the only choice to step in?

I had to chuckle at Frank's statement that she should wait till he was out of office then run for a Senate seat.  Gee, where have we seen that before?  

• Love 1