Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E08: 10 Chefs Compete

• Start Topic

Episode synopsis: Grammy-winning guitarist Steve Vai performs; the contestants must create unique dishes with a limited number of ingredients; the winning team plays a game of paintball while the losing team is faced with delivery day at the kitchen.

The lack of elimination was most likely due to the double elimination in Episode 5, Manda got so lucky with that. Manda should have moved some of the ice but there was no need for Frank to say that he hates working in the kitchen with women.

• Love 3

I'm confused. Isn't the woman who said she was too badly injured to cook the some one who did that horribly embarassing twerky thing?

Yes, that's Manda. I don't care about her. One lady broke her foot last week and is carrying on without the bitching and tears. I'd like to see her and Frank go.

• Love 5

If anyone still believed that this show is on the level, tonight's episode should have disabused them of that notion.  What a crock.  The only reason I keep watching this trash is so I know what people are talking about when I come to this board.

I hope Manda's kids are still too young to feel humiliated by the way their mother behaved on TV.  She was a total drain on her team during service so Gordon gave her another chance but he eliminated Hassan last week for his first real mistake.  

Honestly, the only likable person in the entire cast is Marino.

• Love 6

Back pain is an issue separate from foot pain (been in both a walking cast for foot fracture and had bad discs for years, so I know a little), because if you're having single-foot issues, you can shift and rest your weight in different places to compensate.  if Manda hurt her back in the area she seems to have hurt her back, it's "the hinge", which affects any area where you bend or twist from the waist.  Try doing anything physical for any length of duration where you hold your waist immobile, and you'll soon see how difficult it is to essay as a move.  It's walking, because your hips are swinging; it's standing, because you're arching the back and shoving the shoulders back to get good posture.  Some nights I've barely avoided putting my back out simply standing in a line.  If I was standing with good posture and arched spine, I'd do myself in, and instead need to go limp and jut my butt out.  Clearly she should have gone to the medic and had a muscle relaxer/ibuprofen combo immediately, but as a back pain sufferer I don't doubt her at all, whereas I would've heavily doubted her before experiencing back pain myself.

• Love 3
(edited)

Wasn't that thing with her back AFTER the dancing thing?

Manda is just silly and weak. Far rather keep her than the likes of Dannie (arrogant and yet incompetent), Frank (a horrible human being in every way), Jackie (an outright psycho, who needs to either be in jail, or a psych hospital) or Joe (a loudmouth incompetent). In THAT company who CARES about Manda?

Ariel is great though. I like how she makes Dani look like an even bigger fool in comparison, with her delusion that she and Ariel are some kind of equals.

Dannie and Manda on the same team again ought to be funny. If those boys thought they hated Manda, they've really got it coming with Dannie.

Next Episode Teaser: Why was Jackie cast again? Did the show knowingly cast her with no experience? I mean they KEPT her because they wanted a pet psycho, but that presumably was after she made it obvious she was crazy and would be this season's "entertainment". But what exactly did she have on her casting video and write on her application? "I just started cooking"? REALLY? And they had the balls to cast her?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5
(edited)

Next Episode Teaser: Why was Jackie cast again? Did the show knowingly cast her with no experience? I mean they KEPT her because they wanted a pet psycho, but that presumably was after she made it obvious she was crazy and would be this season's "entertainment". But what exactly did she have on her casting video and write on her application? "I just started cooking"? REALLY? And they had the balls to cast her?

They've done it before. In one of the earlier seasons they had a 30 year old who just graduated culinary school. Ramsay brought it up all the time to humiliate her. IIRC she ended up being in the top 5. I don't know how Jackie has only been cooking for 3 months with Ramsay not mentioning it at all.

Edited by placate

I was totally irritated with Manda pulling up the I have three kids card when she was up for elimination.

I also was not impressed with with Hell's Kitchen's wine Castillo del Diablo wine which retails for about 12-13 bucks a bottle.

(edited)

I have a dicey back. One of the things I do to compensate is resist the impulse to pole dance and shove my ass rhythmically at my coworkers. It's pretty effective, I find. But then, I'm pretty good at what they pay me for, so I have options Manda doesn't.

Did anyone think Jackie could cook? I thought that ship sailed weeks ago. She was hired for her first professional job assembling salads and pizza after she was chosen for this show. She's like the bizarro Candace Kumai, only chosen as indignation fodder instead of eye candy.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

I also sometimes suffer from a bad back, it can be excruciating so I can feel some sympathy for Manda.  I also give her credit for saying she's neither proud nor ashamed that she was a stripper, she did it because she needed to make ends meet.

Frank, on the other hand, is a horrible person.  He doesn't like working with women, he thinks his food is great despite consistently doing poorly in competitions, he has no self awareness at all.  Along with Dannie, who has the mistaken belief that she's a leader and great chef.  Jackie is an absolute disaster.

The one I can't figure out is Kristin - she seems to mostly stay out of the drama and I have no idea how she can cook.  Seems like perfect final five type of fodder, I guess.

• Love 4

I was totally irritated with Manda pulling up the I have three kids card when she was up for elimination.

I also was not impressed with with Hell's Kitchen's wine Castillo del Diablo wine which retails for about 12-13 bucks a bottle.

Awww, the eternal struggle of Chef Ramsay.  I think he wants to, like every other chef, keep to his fine dining roots....but the money is in licensing for mass production.

I still wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers.

I also sometimes suffer from a bad back, it can be excruciating so I can feel some sympathy for Manda.  I also give her credit for saying she's neither proud nor ashamed that she was a stripper, she did it because she needed to make ends meet.

I would say you don't have to be ashamed of it, but in an industry that can be fairly sexist, its probably a good idea not to bump n' grind around a bunch of other chefs (I use the term very, very lightly).  

• Love 2

I don't care what Manda does outside the kitchen, much less what she does to feed her kids. I do think that it was wildly inappropriate for her to be demonstrating stripper moves to her coworkers, and that if she threw out her back doing that (as opposed to, say, in service) she should either suck it up or go home. It was a completely unforced error.

• Love 4

I thought Manda's drunk re-living of her career on the pole (which I'm guessing happened about, oh, 3 weeks before filming started) was the most interesting thing about the episode.  Possibly about the whole season.

And I'm starting to get a "don't ask, don't tell" vibe about Frank.

• Love 5

My DVR skipped this episode, or else I removed it from the lineup. And the thing is, I don't care that I missed an episode. It's become the same thing each week, just a different person walking out the long hallway.

Your DVR did you a solid.

• Love 5

Frank is a giant fuck.

"I hate working with women, blah blah I think I'm so great. "

Bitch, please.

I'd love to see him cooking side by side with Andi and Christina and have them both kick his ass in the kitchen. Dude has no respect and he's a delusional asshole.

• Love 8

Manda should have moved some of the ice but there was no need for Frank to say that he hates working in the kitchen with women.

I really wish they would count behaviour in the dorms and what they say when GR is not around into the eliminations. It would have been so great if Ramsay had thrown out Frank because he could never be head chef without being willing and able to work with women. Maybe they at least let Christina wipe the floor with him somewhere along the way.

Manda is just silly and weak. Far rather keep her than the likes of Dannie (arrogant and yet incompetent), Frank (a horrible human being in every way), Jackie (an outright psycho, who needs to either be in jail, or a psych hospital) or Joe (a loudmouth incompetent). In THAT company who CARES about Manda?

I've been suspecting the casting team to choose contestants based on rap sheets and failed psych evaluations instead of cooking ability for several seasons now. We have the same tired stereotypes in every season. The chef in a steak house/fish/pasta restaurant who can't cook steak/fish/pasta, the one with anger issues, the one who thinks women don't belong in the kitchen, the one getting drunk in the dorm making a fool out of themselves (twerking optional), the one making inappropriate comments about guests etc.

• Love 5

I really wish they would count behaviour in the dorms and what they say when GR is not around into the eliminations. It would have been so great if Ramsay had thrown out Frank because he could never be head chef without being willing and able to work with women. Maybe they at least let Christina wipe the floor with him somewhere along the way.

I'm sure Ramsay has some knowledge of what goes on in the dorm, during punishments, etc.  Frank isn't winning, he's going out before the finals.  They seem to enjoy showing him to be a sexist ass with limited (at best) cooking skills.

I'm sure Ramsay has some knowledge of what goes on in the dorm, during punishments, etc.  Frank isn't winning, he's going out before the finals.  They seem to enjoy showing him to be a sexist ass with limited (at best) cooking skills.

Of course he's not winning; it would have been a statement though to show it's not okay to be a sexist ass in the first place and it doesn't pay off to boot. Happy International Women's Day btw ;-)

• Love 1

I agree that have GR pull a gotcha moment on the chefs who are up for elimination by confronting them with footage from the dorm would be great tv . . . once.  After that, the chilling effect would outweigh the entertainment value.

I actually wouldn't mind the spittle-flecked dominance posturing being chilled some. If the editors had to actually provide something interesting to watch without being able to rely on unhinged thugs behaving badly, they might have to show some cooking.

• Love 5