Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Yesterday Once More

Drogo

They totally made me their bitch when they played "Sweet and Dandy" by Toots and the Maytals. 

And I'm blown away by how much Aimee Mann sounds like Karen Carpenter. Not sure why I never noticed that before, since my iTunes playlist has approximately 52 songs by Aimee Mann on it, give or take a half-dozen.

Anachronisms notwithstanding (big-money bat mitzvahs were NOT a thing in 1973-74), I am definitely enjoying this ride ... 

• Love 4

I love Bobby Cannavale, but he is so miscast that I find myself laughing at his dramatic scenes.  Is it too late to just make Juno Temple the main character and retool the entire show around her?

As Aimee Mann's bitch, I loved hearing her version of Yesterday Once More.

• Love 4

What a raging asshole. I don't like Cannavale in this role (or any role really). Whenever he's on screen I find myself looking at anything in the frame just to avoid his face. I was hoping Juno would get more screen time. I'll check the comments here next week before putting myself through this again.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 2

Yep. I think I'm tapping out after this week. I can't take yet another raging witchy wife stereotype like Ray Romano's wife. Crying over every last dollar except the overblown bat mitzvah?

I loved that they played Bobby Blue Bland.

I think the long form music video is stylistic choice made by the team. I'm not sure if it's done mask the thinnest of the script or to cut down on need for a complete week to week narrative because it's been reduced to vignettes.

• Love 2

Very much an improvement over last week. I will just keep watching for the music alone, but this is starting to grab my attention. 

So the wife was an ex Factory Girl type? I can see that. Anything to give us Factory flashbacks. 

Aimee Mann is a great Karen Carpenter. 

I laughed out loud when that toady junior exec randomly yelled at the black A&R guy "Say it loud I`m black and I`m proud!" only for everyone to just awkwardly stare at him. Toady guy is going to be a little shit head. 

• Love 2

Start things off with getting the obvious "Richie has obviously lost his mind if he's turning down sex with Olivia Wilde" remarks out of the way, of course!  I mean, sure he just had a building fall on him and snorted enough cocaine to probably put down a horse, but I think most would have still powered through it for her.  Oh well, at least she always has Jason Sudeikis!

Found it a bit better then the pilot, since they seem to have establish the main story, which is that Richie has torpedo the deal, and now it is about the company surviving and overcoming the obstacles that will no doubt come their way.  I still feel bad for Skip and Zak though, since it really looks like Richie really fucked them over.  Although, I do think Zak really should have sucked it up with his family, and just tell them Richie boned them, and he can afford to go all out at the wedding, because that is going to come back on them hard.  But I guess judging from that scene in the bedroom, he and his wife don't exactly have a happy marriage.

Not enough Jamie in this one though, and I still find her to be one of the best characters so far.  Although, Julie/Richie's little buddy, is making his way up the list.  Guy was cracking me up a lot in this one.

Knew it was going to end with Richie going to Lester.  Not sure why Lester would ever want to work with him again, but I'm guessing he'll somehow be convinced.

Now that Scorcese has taken a back seat the main thing that's got me interested is the music... I think I could keep watching just to see the different ways 70's music is incorporated into the story. I can see Lester becoming a character who I might get invested in in a way I'm not sure I will with Richie, so I'm looking forward to his bigger role.

I'm glad the director of this episide didn't try to imitate Scorsese's style. The style wasn't as appealing but the story was far less... odd I suppose. The oddest story element in this episode was Devon forgetting her kids in the diner. I don't have kids... I do have nieces and a nephew... and for the life of my I can't imagine anyone forgetting their kids day dreaming about Karen Carpenter. 

• Love 1

So.  The financial wolves were at the door.  A matter of days, or to the end of the month and they would no longer be a going concern.  Then, they get the bailout deal.  Cool.  Kind of fun watching them scam the Germans.

Now?  No deal.  Then, not. one. word. about just how dire everything was.  Except for...Ray Romano stressing in the hallway.  What does he do?  Approves a reception costing easily $50K in 1972 dollars.

OK.  What about the company?  The whole thing goes away absent some thoroughly impossible infusion of cash.  

And our hero goes to his roots to record an artist with near-zero following.  

What's next?  ADC returning to the cast as the Ghost of Payola past?

• Love 1

Well, I'm still not sure if I'm going to stick with this.  I'll give it one more episode, and only because I like most of the music.  If the only band they're going to focus on is the Bits, I'm out.  I just have no desire to see an hour's worth of drug induced flashbacks and seeing guys act like total and complete asswipes. 

• Love 1

So far I like this show. Obviously most of the characters are asshats. But I see it as sort of like Mad Men, except instead of douchebags making ads, an inherently evil activity, here they are producing rock and roll records, which is the entire point of human civilization. Richie's reaction to the New York Dolls show absolutely mirrors mine when I saw the Soviettes at the Bottom Lounge, and again the first time I saw the Kills play. So I'm biased. People watch shows and get invested in "shipping," I'm invested in seeing Jaime get the Nasty Bits signed. Because punk rock! She has Seen the Light! If only she can get the douchebags to listen in time to save the company. I'm eating this s**t up.

It's worth it for the music alone - so far we've had the Dolls and the Velvet Underground. Who's up next week, the Stooges? It's 1973, so the Ramones will have to wait until Season 2 I guess. Patti Smith if there's Season 3, right? Who do you cast to play Patty Smith?

Edited by that one guy
  • Love 5

They totally made me their bitch when they played "Sweet and Dandy" by Toots and the Maytals.

And I'm blown away by how much Aimee Mann sounds like Karen Carpenter. Not sure why I never noticed that before, since my iTunes playlist has approximately 52 songs by Aimee Mann on it, give or take a half-dozen.

Anachronisms notwithstanding (big-money bat mitzvahs were NOT a thing in 1973-74), I am definitely enjoying this ride ...

Yeah, no. My brother was bar mitzvahed in 1973 and it was huge, catering place etc., and while I was too little to be invited to the bat mitzvahs of te girls in his hebrew school class I heard about them and some of them were large. (One girl now grown up of course I sometimes see in town because she and he had the same date and the parents butted heads over it, so the memories are freshM)Bear in mind this was a standard catering place offerings offering menus not thekind of overblown circus etc that became fashionable later on. So while I'm sure there are anachronisms, that one isn't. We had the whole appetizer room, open bar, band, kids table, big photo albums, the works.

Devin forgot herkids? Just forgot them?

I wish he'd just told her. I'm confused by the mob plot.

Edited by lucindabelle

My favorite detail from the past was the mercurochrome. I remember my mom painting my knees with that stuff when I was a kid. I only found out a few years ago that it isn't sold anymore.

I could barely get through this episode because I was simultaneously bored and annoyed. I really have no interest in watching Bobby Cannavale's coke benders.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I could barely get through this episode because I was simultaneously bored and annoyed. I really have no interest in watching Bobby Cannavale's coke benders.

Ditto.

Obviously most of the characters are asshats. But I see it as sort of like Mad Men, except instead of douchebags making ads, an inherently evil activity, here they are producing rock and roll records, which is the entire point of human civilization.

I loved Mad Men. I felt compassion for Don Draper, his self-sabotage and feelings of unworthiness (due to his fucked-up childhood). He also stood up for others regularly. He wasn't a one-note self-absorbed dick who needed to be beaten down before he could do the right thing and help someone else.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 2

I wanted so badly to love this show. I don't know what is going wrong. Mick Jagger's involvement confuses me. I think they could have found a far better consultant (if he is consulting)/executive producer in someone who was more closely tied to punk music. I'm repulsed by Bobby Cannavale every time he appears. I didn't really know who he was but remembered that I actually LIKED him as Chili in Blue Jasmine. Also, I think the drug scenes are missing the mark, too. I realize that people can get aggressive and amped while on coke, but these fools are behaving more like geeked out crackheads. And I agree that there are myriad anachronisms that take away from a lot of the charm that Mad Men was able to conjure. That attention to detail is essential in a period piece.

here they are producing rock and roll records, which is the entire point of human civilization. 

It's worth it for the music alone - so far we've had the Dolls and the Velvet Underground. Who's up next week, the Stooges? It's 1973, so the Ramones will have to wait until Season 2 I guess. Patti Smith if there's Season 3, right? Who do you cast to play Patty Smith?

Agreed.

God, yes. I just finished reading Just Kids, and I've been eagerly awaiting the appearance of the Godmother of Punk. Horses was released in 1975(?), so I thought there was a good possibility that Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe would have been hanging out at The Factory in 1973, right?

The writing of Ray Romano's wife was offensive. Yes, the Jewish wife only cares about the expensive Bat Mitzvah and whether the car was messed up. Not whether her husband was injured in the accident. Because Jewish women are shrewish, nagging stereotypes who only care about money!

And here I thought the awful casting and writing of Robert Plant and Mick Jagger's son's inability to act were going to be the low points of the show for me.

Yes, I thought of commenting about that offensive stereotype too. I mean sure some Jewish wives are shrews but so are loads of other wives, and many Jewish wives are NOT. Even if they are busy part planning the degree of cruelty and offensiveness was beyond.