Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: The Deal

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

The repercussions of the raid on Axe Capital ripple outward. Axe is spoiling for a fight, and plans a scorched-earth defense against this very public attack on his company—threatening his relationship with Wendy in the process. Chuck’s interrogation of Dollar Bill does not go as planned, and political pressure mounts for Chuck to recuse himself in the face of a protracted legal battle. Wendy, caught in the middle, engages in deft shuttle diplomacy to facilitate a deal in the best interests of both men. But everything hinges on a fraught face-to-face meeting between Chuck and Axe to finalize the agreement.

I don't buy that hedge fund guys have an omertà like the mob.

Trader assholes like Stern would fold at the first sign of jail. If they can cut a deal and keep a big portion of money, they'd make the deal.

Oh and destroy his family too?

Edited by scrb
  • Love 3

Hell, the Mob (what's left of it) doesn't have omerta anymore. That crap went out the window with the drug war and 100 year prison sentences.

• Love 1

Disappointing on the body double for Maggie.  Clearly not her why even bother? Could have blocked the shot to not need it.  They just showed Maggie in lingerie from behind a few episodes ago and while she is really hot, that stunt butt was clearly not her body type.  If you are going to use a double at least try to get it to match.  Guessing a producer got some dome in return for the role?

Edited by Unclejosh

Team Axe FTW. Rhoades has too much of a hard-on for taking down Axe for my taste. If he approached him like any other suspect, that would be one thing, but he's made it personal, so game on.

Trader assholes like Stern would fold at the first sign of jail. If they can cut a deal and keep a big portion of money, they'd make the deal.

Oh and destroy his family too?

Yeah, but you gotta figure, Axe is not someone you want as your enemy. If you go with the flow like a good little soldier and don't squeal, if there's any jail time, your family will be taken care of while you're away and there'll be plenty of money waiting for you when you get out, AND Axe knows someone you're loyal to be counted on. But if you squeal, you and your family are left out in the cold. Even if you squeal and are rewarded with no jail time, you're done. You're broke and you'll end up blackballed in the industry and no telling what all else Axe would have up his sleeve for revenge. Just out of pure enlightened long-term self-interest, I'd keep my mouth shut, too.

Edited by fivestone
  • Love 2

Sigh Chuck really makes it hard to route for him because his motivations are clearly all personal and have nothing to do with his job.  I don't know what the deal is...or they haven't told us yet but he is going after Axe for personal reasons.  Professionally taking the deal would have been the smart option.  Also, I don't think someone in his position would discuss his case with his wife or his father.   

The pool scene was completely ridiculous.  There are other ways to check for a wire.  I am guessing it only happened because of sexual tension and adultery pictures for bribery later.  I am glad Axe asked Maggie why she is staying???  Because I am wondering as well but her answer didn't make any sense.  Yes she helped build the company, yes she helped Axe recover from a hard time but helping people recover is essentially her job and why should that in itself make it hard for her to move on? 

I think the weakest part of this show is the characters motivations for their actions.  Why is Chuck taking this so personally?  Why is Wendy still working there when it's clear that Axe doesn't trust her and it will inevitably cause dissension in her marriage?  She could easily find a similar job elsewhere doing the same thing?  The only person's motivations that make sense are Axe's.  It is clear why someone wouldn't want to lose the company that they started.  So he is person we are going to route for because his is a position most of us can relate to. 

• Love 1

Sigh Chuck really makes it hard to route for him because his motivations are clearly all personal and have nothing to do with his job.  I don't know what the deal is...or they haven't told us yet but he is going after Axe for personal reasons.  Professionally taking the deal would have been the smart option.  Also, I don't think someone in his position would discuss his case with his wife or his father.   

The pool scene was completely ridiculous.  There are other ways to check for a wire.  I am guessing it only happened because of sexual tension and adultery pictures for bribery later.  I am glad Axe asked Maggie why she is staying???  Because I am wondering as well but her answer didn't make any sense.  Yes she helped build the company, yes she helped Axe recover from a hard time but helping people recover is essentially her job and why should that in itself make it hard for her to move on? 

I think the weakest part of this show is the characters motivations for their actions.  Why is Chuck taking this so personally?  Why is Wendy still working there when it's clear that Axe doesn't trust her and it will inevitably cause dissension in her marriage?  She could easily find a similar job elsewhere doing the same thing?  The only person's motivations that make sense are Axe's.  It is clear why someone wouldn't want to lose the company that they started.  So he is person we are going to route for because his is a position most of us can relate to. 

Doesn't there have to be a history between Wendy and Axe?  Something we, the audience, does not know yet?  It would be the only thing to make sense for me.

Not that it would matter.  As long as the sexual tension between Wendy and Axe stays this hot, I'll be in.  I don't think I'd ever noticed Maggie before but she's really compelling in this.

Doesn't there have to be a history between Wendy and Axe?  Something we, the audience, does not know yet?  It would be the only thing to make sense for me.

Not that it would matter.  As long as the sexual tension between Wendy and Axe stays this hot, I'll be in.  I don't think I'd ever noticed Maggie before but she's really compelling in this.

I mean that is the only thing that makes sense because he wants to get this guy so bad that he will literally recuse himself and go after him secretly.  That doesn't sound professional.  Plus he flat out tells Wendy, this isn't about saving your job...it's about saving Axe.  Ironically, I think her pushing to help Axe is not working in Axe's favor.

The other interesting thing is...did you notice that not once has Wendy expressed Axe's innocence of the crime...it makes me think she knows he's guilty which makes me wonder...how much does she know about what is going on at the company....if you know you boss is doing something dodgy and you stay continue to say there when you work anywhere else...at the expense of your marriage what does that tell you?

Also calling BS on Wendy telling Chuck about Axe's sessions, Chuck talking to Wendy and his dad about the case-none of that would really happen.

Malin Ackerman is SO badly cast in this; i just cannot take her seriously, and her character is supposed to have some gravitas. She looks like a college sophomore. She has no presence. Siff has major presence and is much more believable in her role.

She is awful.  I don't buy anything to do with her character. 

• Love 1

I want to like to this show. It could have the potential to be entertaining and  instructive as well, ala The Big Short, but it's not there yet. Both the deal's failure and the faux recusal were too predictable. Because there is no show without the battle between Axe and Chuck, the deal had to fail, and Chuck needs to remain in the mix. Wendy's communications with both Axe and Chuck betrayed far too much information for someone so concerned with her "oath" let alone Connecticut's confidentiality rules for psychiatrists. Also, Axe is too smart to whine about not breaking any rules that anyone else hasn't broken. "But they did it too" stops cutting it by first grade. The parallel corruption of Chuck faking his recusal is also rather uninspired. The anti-corruption crusader is corrupt himself, and picks and chooses the rules that he thinks should apply to him because his "work" is so important. Wow. At least with Elliot Spitzer, we had hookers and misuse of government funds to pay for them, not to mention a sympathetic wife who duly dumped him. Now that was entertaining.

Edited by ahpny
  • Love 1

Malin Ackerman is SO badly cast in this; i just cannot take her seriously, and her character is supposed to have some gravitas. She looks like a college sophomore. She has no presence. Siff has major presence and is much more believable in her role.

I agree totally. I've felt this since the first episode. Thought she'd settle into the role eventually, but that clearly hasn't happened. Maggie Siff is really good in this role and I love how they dress her rich blues and black. Kind of goes to the makeup of her character. Very streamlined and forceful, but still a bit mysterious. I'm not certain how I feel overall about the show, but I do really like her character.

• Love 4

Wendy is the only character I look forward to seeing; Mrs. Axe has had some interesting stuff, but the actress just leaves me cold. If only the writers had made Wendy Mrs. Axe, what a power couple that would have been! And maybe the show would be more than week after week of big swinging dicks trying to outdo each other while their wives and mistresses clean up the mess and hope they can pay the mortgage.

• Love 1

Maggie Siff is great as Wendy, yet I also wonder what could have been if she had been cast as Axelrod's wife/Rhoades ex-wife.  She could still work there.  Siff has the gravitas to pull off what Akerman cannot.  Plus, I think she would have brought some nuance to the "ruthless wife" trope. As others have mentioned, she's the best thing about this show.   

The personal conflict would still work without the absurd "let me continue to work for the man that my husband, the state's attorney, is going after for fraud" perspective. I didn't get her stance during their first argument, and still don't.   She had to know that Axe would eventually be investigated, regardless if it was personally by Rhoades.  As it stands, it's as personal for her as it is for Chuck, yet for some reason, I'm supposed to find her feelings more valid (as implied by the writing)?   

Axe said something to Wendy about her eyes in the first or second episode that made me think that there was something more between them once upon a time, even if it was more Axe than Wendy.  Part of the problem is that Lewis has TONS more chemistry with Siff - I can believe their friendship much more than I can believe Axe and Lara's marriage. 

• Love 4

Malin Ackerman is terrible in this. Her facial expression doesn't change, she has no subtlety. I don't understand how she was cast. If they're going for the "attractive blonde" category, just throw a rock.

Part of the problem is that Lewis has TONS more chemistry with Siff - I can believe their friendship much more than I can believe Axe and Lara's marriage.

So much, this. But I also attribute a degree of that to Ackerman being just so bad.

• Love 4

I love Maggie so much in this show.  I actually wish they would make her more glamourous.  Her scenes with Axe are very

mutual-admiration-society/sexually fueled.  It’s very entertaining to watch.

I like Paul Giamatti but don’t want to see him with his clothes off!!!

• Love 1

I'm not digging Connertys know it all protogee. Especially how she treats his gal pal FBI agent. It seems like petty mean girl high school bullshit that I can't stand. If love to see her taken down a peg or two.

i also hate that the show is going the predictable potential affair route with Axe and Maggie. It was bound to happen since Akerman is just that damn bad in the role but it's going to be exhausting watching Rhodes walk her to the door of their marriage with his egocentric vendetta against Axe.

As the latest person to this party, I love the SEC and in wator stuff but hate the personal grudge match. It diminishes them both, especially the US attorney. Speaking of, I suppose I am in the minority but I do ‘t see Giamatti in this role. He seems miscast to me, just IMO.