Type keyword(s) to search

My Lottery Dream Home - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 11/25/2022 at 9:32 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

He bought #2.      I would have liked #3 for the terrace, but the inside of the condo needed work.  So, for the least work, and the best location, #2 was a great choice.

You got that right, plus it had the largest square footage of all of them.  As a New Yorker I loved this episode. 

On 11/26/2022 at 1:50 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

He was probably kicking himself when he saw #3 since he would already be closed on #2. 1200 SF of outside private space is insane.

I don't think he's kicking himself, I think he got the best deal.  Those other two apartments were in a less desirable neighborhood.  Sure, Hell's Kitchen is better than it used to be but it's still not as desirable as the UES.  I would have chosen that one myself.  My husband and I narrowed down the location of his apartment to E. 57th St. between 3rd. and Lexington, or at least his view is looking down at 57th.  My husband used to work on 57th St. and still goes to Manhattan a few times a week.  An apartment like that with all it had going for it is an absolute STEAL.

On 11/26/2022 at 8:56 PM, ChitChat said:

I wonder how they store all of those seat cushions once winter sets in (if they do.) 

Storage space in the basement of the building if it has it.  Or they cover it with plastic and tarps and tie it up so it won't blow away or get covered in snow.  That's what my parents used to do.

On 11/26/2022 at 9:50 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

On the Million Dollar Listing NY show, they said during the pandemic that condos in the $1 to $3 million range weren't moving at all.   Another issue with rentals is that people refused to move out, and some took forever to get rid of non-paying tenants, even when the person still had the same salary.    So, my guess is some landlords are selling, instead of rerenting.     The canyon effect for winds to be higher with each floor higher, and between the buildings is a big issue.   Maybe the building has storage available for residents?   

I really enjoyed the Houston house that Stephen bought a couple of years ago, and this one.   It's nice to see a big budget, and a buyer who probably paid cash.    I hope he does go house shopping in Florida with David in a couple of years.   

Yeah, the reason they weren't moving is because people in that price range were moving OUT of Manhattan, not IN.  I'm not sure if that's changed much since last year.  I sold my father's apartment in Riverdale in the Bronx last year.  It was on the market less than 20 days and I got asking price, which was quite a bit more than it would have gone for pre-pandemic.  People were looking to get out of Manhattan then.  

I also loved that he had a decent budget for a change and we were in NYC instead of Florida for a change too.

Edited by Yeah No
Because it's East 57th, not West.
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

“Ain’t Nothin’ But a Corn Dog”

Bosnian couple moved to the U.S. from Bosnia, over 20 years ago, and won a $100,000 on a scratcher. They’re looking for homes in Grimes, Iowa.   Mirela and Elvis are the winners.  4 bed, 3 bath, finished basement, 1800 sq ft., ranch would be preferred. $350k and $450k budget combined with the lottery winnings, and the proceeds from selling their current home.  

David and his make up artist cooking and eating the fresh corn looks so yummy.

House 1-Clementine Court in Grimes, single family, 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2100 sq ft, $409,000, unfinished basement, 3 car garage, two story.  Hardwood floors, great kitchen. Smaller formal living rooms, 3 bedrooms second floor, including main bedroom, great walk-in closet, basement could be finished, there are egress windows, great covered deck with a huge hot tub. Swing set/play set in the back yard. 

House 2-Sugar Creek in Grimes, rancher, single story, single family, 5 bed, 3 bath, 3000sq ft, $424,400, 3 car garage. 1500 ft first floor, 1500 in the finished basement. I love the living room with the wood décor, kitchen is a little small.   3 bedrooms on the main floor, plus the main suite, and ensuite, basement is finished, with a huge game room, 2 bedrooms and bath downstairs, gym, great entertainment TV area, great yard, finished covered deck.     I love the patio and deck area.  (I liked the wood piece because for once it wasn't some reclaimed barn wood, but a different piece.   It didn't really go with anything, but at least it didn't look like bugs would crawl out of it at any second). 

House 3-Palmer Hills in Grimes, single family, 4 bed,3 bath, 2800 sq ft, $450,000, ranch, 3 car garage, main floor is spectacular, main bedroom is main floor, ensuite is lovely, split bedroom plan, kids rooms on the main floor, basement is finished with theater chairs, a wet bar, and great bedroom and bath for Mom.    Largest back yard, fire pit, covered patio, above the deck.

They pick #3, I would have picked # 3.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

House 3 was gorgeous. I hate white kitchens but I actually liked this one. Great basement. Kids are going to have to clear out once Grandma moves in when she goes to bed early.

That living wood wall in house 2 made no sense. It didn't match anything in the kitchen or living area and just stuck out. An accent should still be in harmony with the space.

• Love 4

“Second Chances All Around, in Bangor”

This time to get a home for Ashley, and Anthony, off of his losing ticket in a second chance drawing, he won.   Wins $250k to find a home in Bangor, Maine.

3 bed 2 bath, garage as a workshop, bonus room (family room man cave).  City or country, $400k to $450k.  

House 1-Booth Bay in Hampden, a historic house - 4 bed, 2 bath, 2600 sq ft, $425k, has a barn for Anthony’s race cars. .75 acre.   Attic needs to be converted, but possible man cave.  There’s a Walnut Tree School playhouse.   No ensuite, but a big main bedroom.

House 2- Rockland Ridge in Herman- 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2500 sq ft, $443k, new build, on 2 acres.  Beautiful house, great, huge kitchen.  Main bedroom and ensuite are great.    Guest bedroom and bath are great, with a huge bonus room.    3 car size garage with 2 doors.   Yard is fantastic. Covered porch out back is nice.  It’s next to marsh land, so no neighbors on that area.

House 3-Meere Creek in Bangor- 5 bed, 5 bath,2750 sq ft, $447,500, ½ acre, 2 car detached garage, lovely hardwood floors.  Nice kitchen, remodeled, 1st floor bedroom/office, family room is so lovely with great built-ins, upstairs has main bedroom with ensuite, big main bedroom, every bedroom has an ensuite, the bedrooms/baths upstairs are all connected. 3rd floor has 3 bedrooms and bathroom, backyard is fantastic with giant deck.   Did the bedrooms all interconnect with no outside hallway?   I change my mind, I wouldn't ever pick #3 for that reason.

They pick #2.  I loved 1 and 2 also, but 3 with the no hallway to the bedrooms make it's a no go for me. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

On the Bangor episode, I could see why they chose the new house.  The garage was beautiful.  It would be a huge project to create a garage that nice at the older properties.  
I thought the third house stairs were a bit much, and the top story needed work to be really useful.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/9/2022 at 9:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

House 2- Rockland Ridge in Herman- 4 bed, 2.5 bath, 2500 sq ft, $443k, new build, on 2 acres.  Beautiful house, great, huge kitchen.  Main bedroom and ensuite are great.    Guest bedroom and bath are great, with a huge bonus room.    3 car size garage with 2 doors.   Yard is fantastic. Covered porch out back is nice.  It’s next to marsh land, so no neighbors on that area.

I knew they would pick house #2 because of that garage, but it would have been a deal breaker for me because of the master bedroom.  Am I the only person that noticed that there wasn't enough room to fit a dresser in it and the chest of drawers had to be placed catty-corner in an awkward place to fit it in the room?  That was unbelievable for new construction.  And totally unacceptable.  Other than that it was a great house.

• Love 2

“Lisa’s Little Luxuries” After a $4 million win, a family is looking for their first owned home in Nashua, NH.  Home buyers are Lisa and Bob, and youngest son Bobby (he’s 19).  Bob Sr. is the gambler, and the winner of $4 million.  

Wishlist-single family, 3+ bed, 2+baths, maybe a little fixing,  split bedroom plan if possible, backyard, a laundry room where you don’t have to use coins to do the laundry, and other luxuries they’ve never had.   Budget $500k. (That’s a starter home budget in NH).   Purple Finch Realty, with Lydia the realtor.

David’s been to Nashua three times

House 1- Scout’s Lookout -3 bed, 1 bath, $419k , 1652 sq ft., Split level.  Laundry.  Big kitchen with granite. Nice bathroom, tub/shower combo.    Main bedroom is big, with big closet.    Basement is finished, with laundry, and Bob Sr can do a bedroom and bath downstairs.   Backyard/deck is nice and private.

House 2- Vesper Lane   -3 bed, 2 bath, $450k ,1800 sq ft., laundry room in the bedroom. Over 1/3 acre. It’s a ranch.  The living room has the biggest TV I’ve ever seen in a private home. Separate dining room, kitchen is bigger than #1, and has granite, main bedroom has an ensuite, laundry room is in a bedroom closet and big enough to have a sofa, and a large hanging area, and folding table.   Basement is big enough to have a bedroom and bath, but needs some finishing for Bobby Jr.   Backyard has a few cut up trees, back yard is nice.

House 3- Hemlock Hill - 3 bed, 2 bath, $498k , 1970 sq ft., needs a garage, I thinks it’s a split level.   Kitchen is nice, great granite, and back splashes, dining room on 4 season sunroom, full bath and 2 guest bedrooms, upstairs main bedroom is nice, downstairs has a laundry, with a nice second main bedroom,  With a huge deck firepit, lots of sitting areas, and a big pool.  

They picked #2.  I would have bought #3 for the double main suites, finished basement, and sunroom, and since Lisa said something about putting in a pool.   Lisa also said maybe they'll call David to go house hunting for a vacation place in Florida.   

I love it when a winner is someone who gets their first home.   

(I know it sounds awful, but Nashua realtor saying $500k is a starter home there, and might not even be for a 2 bath home, is accurate.    I've lived places where in today's market, you can't get anything for under $750k).   (Southern New Hampshire is popular with people leaving Massachusetts for financial reasons.  NH may have one of the highest property tax rates in the country, but no personal income tax). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Budget $500k. (That’s a starter home budget in NH)

I caught that. WTAF?

David’s been to Nashua three times

That was cute. Or more likely, been to Nashua, filmed multiple dream home hunts and spread out the episodes during the season.😉

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I caught that. WTAF?

There was an episode where David helped a woman in MA, the Cambridge area. Which is where Harvard is located. He was able to find a three bedroom with a small backyard for $600K and she was amazed he could get something decent for that price. And the guy just a few weeks ago who spent over $2 million for a two bedroom in Manhattan. Location, location, location.

I wish BBCA was still carrying that program.

If you are looking for a single family home in my ZIP Code, you'd better have at least a cool million to spend.
The lowest priced house listed for sale currently is on the market at $1,025,000.  A modest 1000 SF rambler, 3 br 1 ba, built in the 60s.

Most of the "entry-level" houses are tear-downs, the developers get to them first.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

she was amazed he could get something decent for that price. And the guy just a few weeks ago who spent over $2 million for a two bedroom in Manhattan. Location, location, location.

Exactly. NH? Nashua (K, it's the home of Jed Bartlett, but still;-)

Maybe I should call a realtor? I mean, my appraisal went up this year, but that's because they were raising property taxes!

• LOL 1
On 12/17/2022 at 3:09 PM, buttersister said:

I caught that. WTAF?

I know, that's much higher than I would have expected for New Hampshire.  I looked into it and found out that prices have gone up there because inventory is low plus prices went up something like 30% since the pandemic.  Although the average home price in Vermont is significantly lower.  It's also significantly lower in CT too (where I live), which makes zero sense to me because last I knew before the pandemic CT had a higher average home price than New Hampshire.  I also read that both VT and NH have experienced an influx of people moving out of Massachusetts where the real estate is even higher, which is probably driving prices up.  My question is why can't I live in an area where prices shoot up?  I live in a very nice suburb of Hartford, CT, and although prices have gone up somewhat since 2020 they haven't jumped up THIS much!  Oh well.

Here are the 2022 averages for nearby states:

Connecticut:  $383,222

Maine:  $360,836

New Hampshire: $450,827

Vermont:  $358,862

What shocked me is how high Massachusetts' average is - $611,819.  The only states with significantly higher averages than NH are Utah, Washington, California, Hawaii, Colorado and the District of Columbia.

I got these stats from this site:

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/research/average-house-price-state/

BTW, I called it that they would pick the second house.  Something about that glass cabinet with those Lladro-like figurines seemed like their style.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

In the latest episode, did I hear David correctly in that getting a house with 2 bathrooms in their price range might be tricky?  Depending on the age of the homes, I find that odd.  I'd understand them not being en-suite, but I thought that either 1.5 or 2 bathrooms was the norm, unless the house is really small.  Our first house was 1000 sq.ft with one bathroom, so I understand.  

Edited by ChitChat
Typo
  • Like 1

Yes, the realtor and David did discuss the price range the winners were comfortable with, and what that could get them in Nashua.    Some places a second bathroom isn't common, and a bathroom on each floor is not routine.   Another factor is the inventory is low because the area is popular with commuters.   However, it's still not a cheap place to live, because the property taxes are very high.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

In the latest episode, did I hear David correctly in that getting a house with 2 bathrooms in their price range might be tricky?  Depending on the age of the homes, I find that odd.  I'd understand them not being en-suite, but I thought that either 1.5 or 2 bathrooms was the norm, unless the house is really small.  Our first house was 1000 sq.ft with one bathroom, so I understand.  

None of those homes looked too new to me and especially in here New England any modestly built house (especially a ranch) over 50 years old that's under 2,000 square feet often was constructed with only one bathroom.  A lot of homes that went up mid-century or earlier were aimed at young people just starting out with little money to spare, and there was a housing boom of them in middle and working class areas, so there are a lot of them still around.  Although you'd have expected that after all that time some renovation would have been done, but in a smaller house there may not be enough room to add a second bathroom without constructing an addition.  My house is a ranch of about 1,500 square feet, built in 1959.  It originally had only one bathroom and in order to add a second one the renovators had to add more square footage to the house.  And that didn't happen until 2005.

• Like 4

“Winter Wonderland”

Craig and Susie won $1 million on a scratcher, and want to find a mountain getaway on Moosehead Lake in Greenville, Maine.   They live north of Boston, but want a vacation place. Lake is 40 miles by 12 miles.    Great snowmobiling.  You can drive snowmobiles or 4 wheelers right from town.

Wishlist-near the lake, room for snowmobile, and store them 2 or 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, $350k to $375.

House 1-Dunegrass Drive, in town - 4 bed, 2bath, $369,000, 1/3 acre , 1800 sq ft,  needs a garage. Love the front screened porch.  Nice kitchen, lovely cabinets. 1st floor bedroom with en suite, dining and living room are nice, dining room isn’t big though, upstairs 3 bedrooms 1 bath all updated.  There’s actually a 5th bedroom, attached to the 4th bedroom (nursery, or for the grandkids).

House 2-Willowdale Walk, bigger land and fewer neighbors,  - 3 bed, 2bath, $299000 , 1500 sq ft, corner lot, totally remodeled, cabin style inside.   Love the front glassed in porch for a mud room, beautiful open concept main floor, great kitchen, dining, and living room, full bath and bedroom on the first floor, upstairs are the other two bedrooms and one bath.   Enclosed garage with a loft.    

House 3-The Grindstone, out of town-a log cabin, 3  bed,2  bath, $359k , 2100 sq ft, needs some work, on 1.15 acre.   It’s totally a log cabin, kitchen needs work, fireplace is stunning, Craig asks about maintenance on a log cabin, a great question.    2 guest rooms and 1 bath on first floor.  Second floor is huge main bedroom, with a standalone tub in the side of the room, toilet has no privacy,   I don’t like the stair to the second floor.   But I would do the kitchen, and add privacy to the main suite and bathroom.    

Greenville Inn, David thinks it’s haunted.   

They buy #3 .  I would have bought #2, because of the garage, but I liked #1 also.     He's finishing the kitchen, close to water but not a water view.   It already has a big garage for the snowmobiles, and the 4 wheeler.   My question is if you can operate the 4 wheeler or Snowmobile on city streets, or official streets?   Many states don't allow that (I watched a lot of North Woods Law, Maine and New Hampshire, and it's very restricted there, don't know about the current rules in Maine.   Other places it's only desginated ATV/smowmobile trails, and on private property only with permission).  

I knew someone who was having a log home built when I lived in Colorado.    There is a huge variety of full log, half log, log walls  with a space between the inside logs, and the outside logs, etc.     Not only do you have to seal the logs periodically, and I bet that's inside and outside, but some you have to tighten the big bolts in the structure, it just needs to be done on the recommended intervals.    The open bathroom on #3 was bizarre, but along with the partially done kitchen, I suspect that the couple were in mid-renovation when it was filmed.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It’s totally a log cabin, kitchen needs work, fireplace is stunning, Craig asks about maintenance on a log cabin, a great question.   

I think you have to put some kind of sealant on log homes, if not yearly, every few years (as David mentioned.)  I have a friend who has a log home and their main issue with the exterior is bees burrowing into the logs.  That takes some maintenance too.

I didn't like the location of the first two homes (no privacy), but if someone wanted to be closer to town, than either of those might be their best bet.  Considering this couple has so many recreational vehicles, choosing house #3 made sense to me.  You need places to roam with those things!!  Adding a wall and a door to the master bathroom would be a priority for me! I don't like an "open concept" bathroom!  YMMV. 

• Like 1

There was a lot of wood in those three houses. So much wood. Which is not what I want in a home but the rustic cabin look for a weekend/vacation place is fine. No obsessing over gourmet countertops and appliances. While they were standing outside house 2 there were a few shots of an Old Mainer next door sitting in his Adirondack chair and sipping a beer, while completely ignoring the filming. That cracked me up.

I liked house 2 best. They were obviously in love with the idea they could have a log cabin (eee!!!) for retreats. Constant upkeep may lead to selling after a few years. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I liked house 2 best. They were obviously in love with the idea they could have a log cabin (eee!!!) for retreats. Constant upkeep may lead to selling after a few years. 

Yeah I liked #2 the best too and think they went with their hearts over their heads on this one.  I felt like it was better suited for an investor to turn into an Airbnb or something similar, but even then it looked like it would need a little too much investment and upkeep to get it to where it should be.  That house had a few head scratching moments like those weird upper kitchen cabinets and that strange bathroom arrangement.  Plus all that paneling, jeebus, that one bedroom would make me feel like I was sleeping in a cedar closet.  One of the doors they opened looked like it was to a sauna, LOL.

What also bothered me is how the wife went on about wanting something in town and frowned when she heard about the upkeep the log façade would need every few years and then they go and pick that house.  I felt like they were deliberately trying to throw us off from predicting which house they would pick.

14 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

What's up with David doing little vignettes with his makeup lady? First they cooked and ate corn on the cob in some other episode. And now they're in a haunted hotel. We see less of the houses.

Yeah I'm with you on this but I just wanted to comment that she seemed very familiar.  I think she's been with David for a long time and we used to see her from time to time on "Color Splash".  He used to feature his staff on that show a lot.

• Like 2

Carolina Beach Legacy House

Brandon & Katie are investing his inheritance from his mother,  in a home at the beach, the house will be for the entire family vacations.   It’s in Carolina Beach, NC. 30 minutes from Wilmington. They live in Charlotte, in a parsonage, he’s a minister.    Legacy was left by his mom who said don’t spend it on bills.

Wishlist-A beach house, near Brandon’s brother, and for Katey's dad (or Katie's dad).  Someday the house will be passed down to their kids.     3 bedrooms, 2 baths, quirky, close to the beach (walkable to the beach).  Budget is $700k, if it’s turnkey.   The town has a small boardwalk, and you can drive on the beach.   Often houses sell with furniture.

House 1-Sandpiper Sound, a house on stilts, and an octagon shape - 2 bed, 1 bath, 813 sq ft, turnkey $529k.  Open floor plan, nice kitchen. Katie’s an artist so she’ll add a mural to the living room wall. Laundry room, lovely bathroom, 2nd bedroom is nice too, floors look like LVP, deck is so nice.   Ground floor has a lot of concrete space.  Closest to the water, turnkey.

House 2- Bluewater Bay, townhome, duplex raised with a concrete ground level area under the house - 3 bed, 3 1/2bath, 1350 sq ft, $549k.   Bright colors inside, lovely front porch and a wall between the other house, kitchen is nice, not as updated as House 1. Every room is a different bright color. (I’ll be shocked if this isn’t the house they bought, because of the colors).  Each bedroom has a bathroom. Nice back deck off a bedroom, another bedroom with access to the upper private deck.   Out back is concrete pad with a firepit.   Bathroom for every bedroom, plus a half bath for guests.

House 3- Coneflower Cove in Kure Beach – 3 bed, 2.5 bath, 1900 sq ft, $530k, no steps,  1 car garage, beautiful first floor, lovely large kitchen, fireplace, huge living room, wants to change the fireplace mantle to rustic drift wood, and David suggests going to the ceiling with reclaimed wood (or go cheaper, LVP planks look like wood), screened porch, back dec overlooking the water (not the sea, but an inlet).

They buy #3.   I would have bought #2, I love the privacy even though it’s a duplex, the number of bedrooms and baths, and the decorating, plus it’s pretty close to turnkey.   But #3 was great for the for the size, and the garage, and amenities and most important, no steps for the father.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

I knew they'd buy #3.  #1 was quirky and made for good TV but the stairs wouldn't be great for an older man and the space isn't big enough for guests.

#2 was a possibility but I knew the minute they had a big house with no stairs, it'd be the choice.  Plus, it's right on the water. 

• Like 4

I guessed it would be #3 once he started talking about ripping out the mantle. 1 was really unusual in the shape, but it was decorated so relentlessly neutral it must have been a rental property or airbnb. #2 the two halves were practically on top of each other and they would have had to negotiate with the other owner on times to use the backyard. And I suspect the other side was also a rental so they would have to deal with a parade of people and maybe partying. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I saw the expanded Three State episode, where David was so wacky.    Poor David was totally out of it on allergy meds.  He said he had only recently started having allergies, so I think they haven't found the right combination when he's having an allergy attack.     

This is for the episode "Second Chance Lottery." S12Epi18 Jerry and Bettyann. They seemed like lovely people but I didn't really pay attention to the houses because I couldn't get past the fact this guy was nearly killed on his motorcycle as in he's still recovering and he continues to ride Harleys. And without a helmet. I just...idk. I gave my bike up after a few close calls. 

Edited by OLynn33
  • Like 7

I watched some eps on Friday, I think this one was a rerun in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Now, while it was fun to see a different-than-usual location (maybe not for the first time, though, he records in batches), the non-millionaire, non-mansiony places are starting to grow on me. Everything about this house screamed BEFORE from any other HGTV show and yet the couple were thrilled (clearly, their current place was tiny and on the old side). David was super supportive. Can't recall which they picked, but they were so freakin' happy, it was contagious.

• Like 3

They just were advertising a new episode next Friday (the 17th), at the usual time 9 p.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. Central.   

I was suspicious it was another of the scratch off episodes, that's actually a rerun, but it doesn't seem to be.   As usual, HGTV's website sucks with saying a new or not new episode is coming up.    My cable guide shows the name, but doesn't say new, except for the season and episode #.  I suspect it's part 2 of the current season. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They just were advertising a new episode next Friday (the 17th), at the usual time 9 p.m. Eastern, 8 p.m. Central.   

Finally! Although these scratch off episodes are considered "new".

• Like 1

“First Time Homeowners, First Time Millionaires!”   Shana and Kayla, newlyweds, and now their first home.   They won $1 million.  Budget is $240k. In Rochester, NY

Wishlist-They want a fixer, suburbs, or country, not downtown. 2 to 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms if possible.

House 1- Teelins Pond ,close to town, but still in the burbs– 3 bed, 2 bath, 1117sq ft, $225k, on ½ an acre.  Nice hardwood floors. First bedroom is small, with a Jack and Jill bath, tub only but they would ad a shower.  Second bedroom is through the bath.   Kitchen is decent size.   Stairs are original, fun space upstairs, with a full bath upstairs.  There’s also a partially finished basement, detached garage

House 2- Wolffer Way- 4 bed, 2 bath, 1400 sq ft, $174,900 , new windows, and roof, interior needs work. On almost ½ an acre.    2 car attached garage.   2 bedrooms first floor, with guest bath.   Upstairs are 2 more bedrooms, and smaller bath.   Vanity needs to be bigger.   Kitchen is redone, nice cabinets, needs nicer counter tops.  3 season porch could be changed to a big mud room, and laundry, nice deck, nice property.  

House 3-Tamarack Tree -4 bed, 1 bath, 1709 sq ft, .4 acres,  $184,900. 1 car attached garage. All bedrooms upstairs, big main bedroom, a laundry chute, one bath is smaller, and they could convert one of the two smaller bedrooms into an ensuite, and closet.   Bath deck nice, with an above ground pool, with a nice deck around it.   

They buy # 1.  With the size of the yard, I bet they could add on a main suite, instead of go up and down that steep staircase.     I'm wondering what the property taxes in that area are like? 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

Not a bad episode but I had to laugh when David loved how cheap the houses were.  With an average of 100 inches of snow per year and cloudy, overcast skies thanks to the lake effect, the Winters are brutal up there.

I didn't love any of the houses but I suppose if I were 25 again I'd be just thrilled to have any of them.  I didn't especially love the one they chose on the inside, but the grounds were lovely.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

This just aired in Canada!  So they only air 4 days later than you guys!  That makes me so happy, I actually know what's going on.

I really love David, but Those scratch off episodes really annoyed me!  It took me forever to figure out that they're episodes I had already seen!

• Like 3

“My Big Island Dream Home”   Terri and Mark, received a family inheritance. After the inheritance, they left Oklahoma, and move to Hawaii, and are looking for a place big enough to host families for holidays. 

Wishlist- They’re looking on the Big Island, They have seven children and soon to have nine grandchildren.    They want ½ acre or more, on the Hilo side of Hawai’i.   They want a mother-in-law suite, with a bathroom, a main suite with an ensuite, budget is $700k.   They’ve been vacationing in Hawaii for years.  (David goes to Hawai’I Life, the agency that was on the HGTV Hawai’i show).   

House 1- Emerald Green-  1478 sq ft, $685k, - 5 bed, 4 bath, three living areas. 2 story, landscaping is fantastic.   Downstairs is a 1 bed 1 bath, suite, plus another bedroom,   upstairs is another apartment unit for the mother-in-law. Kitchen is spectacular with the local wood cabinets and island.   Second floor porch is huge. 

House 2-The Dorado -3 bed,3  bath,1860 sq ft, $718,500 , over an acre and has a huge pool.  Single story. Needs solid stone counter tops, not the granite tile they have now.  2 guest bedrooms, and bath, including an open roof shower.   Main suite is huge, with a big ensuite.    Outdoor toilet near the pool (yes, it has wooden walls around it).   Pool and lanai are spectacular.  

House 3-Papaya Place-single story,  4 bed, 2 bath, new build, 1860 sq ft, $699k.  Huge open living, dining, kitchen is nice with all of the appliances, including a fancy fridge. . Fully air conditioned.     2 bed 1 bath in the guest area, 4th bedroom set up as an office.   Main bedroom is big, with a huge shower in the ensuite.  

They buy #1 .   I would have bought #2 for the pool, and established landscaping, and extra land, and no stairs.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

They were a lovely couple!  I liked both house #1 & #2.  I would've quickly scratched #3 off of my list.   I loved the landscaping with house #2, but it was pretty with #1 too.  I think the advantage with house #1 is that with the 2 levels, guests can have a little more privacy.  It can be tough on people who are traveling through several time zones and might need some peace & quiet so they can sleep a little later.   I loved the view from the kitchen of house #1.   Tough decision!!  

CrazyInAlabama:  stay safe with these storms rolling in.  :) 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Like 4

I was so excited for David to go Hawaii! Nice couple, decent budget. I was surprised they went with the 2 story but ChitChat makes a good point. I noticed the realtor was Hawaii Life.

• Like 2

Didn't the realtor give David 4 homes to look at?  In that setting, I'd love to see an hour's worth of home tours!!  Maybe they did go look at it, but it wasn't worth putting on TV.  Or I could be remembering it all wrong!

I loved everything about House #2 but I can see why they chose House #1.  I'm just glad they didn't go with the boring new construction (although I probably would have caved with the AC.)  

The benefit to #1 is that they can rent out at least one of the units when no family is visiting.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Eh, I really felt that the house they chose was a letdown compared to houses 1 and 2.  There wasn't much I liked about it.  The other two looked like they were worth way more.  I liked #2 because it had style and character.  It didn't look like every other house.  

17 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Eh, I really felt that the house they chose was a letdown compared to houses 1 and 2.  There wasn't much I liked about it.  The other two looked like they were worth way more.  I liked #2 because it had style and character.  It didn't look like every other house.  

They chose 1.

(edited)

"A Snowbirder’s Florida Haven". Kevin and Taunia (sadly, inheritance was from his mother).  After a family inheritance, Midwestern couple are moving to central Florida from Bloomington, Indiana.

It’s an hour from David’s home, and we’ll get to see David’s parents later.  David’s parents moved there 20 years ago.   Diane and Richard are his parents, and they’re adorable. 

3 bed 2.5 bath, they want green space.   Her budget is $700k, his is $500k.   They want a pool.  Single family.  (the real estate company is Flamingo Real Estate Management, with flamingo pink on the letterhead).  The realtor gives David a welcome basket full of flamingo gear.  

House 1-Dubree Dunes near Wildwood -4 bed, 2 bath, 2659 sq ft, $585k , on 5 acres.  Screen room enclosed in-ground pool.  

House 2- Fez Place near Wildwood- near a former golf course, 4 bed, 3 bath, on .5 acre,   3301 sq ft, $665k.  Needs redecorating with window treatments, Main bedroom is big, wood floors, en suite is beautiful.  Lots of guest bedrooms, kitchen is huge but needs stone counter tops.  There an outdoor entertaining room, with a huge second kitchen, pool table, lots of seating, with a beautiful pool and spa, screen room.   The current window treatments are hideous.   No HOA amount mentioned, unless I missed it.

House 3-Loblolly Lane, new build -3  bed, 2.5 bath, 2100 sq ft, $748k , on a real golf course, 2 car garage, plus golf cart garage. Open floor plan, great kitchen, huge island and breakfast bar, quartz counter tops, great living room, main bedroom is huge, with fantastic en suite.   2 beautiful guest rooms with another bath, and a half bath.   Lanai is screened, and out of the direct line of fire of golf balls.  No pool, but they can do a screened room and pool like the next door neighbors built.     No HOA amount mentioned, unless I missed it.

They buy # 3, for the amenities, and lack of projects,  and will build a pool in a screened room, a firepit, and I hope an outdoor kitchen.   I would have bought #2 with the pool in place, but I would have to replace the window treatments. If I wanted bigger acreage, I would buy #1.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

Well, I read that the people house hunting have already bought and lived in the home they choose at the end of the episode. I just wish they'd get back to lottery winners "finding" their home and not inheritances from family deaths. I guess they are running out of lottery winners. The show has felt off the past season or so though for some reason to me at least. 

• Like 2
On 3/26/2023 at 6:03 PM, Irlandesa said:

They chose 1.

Yeah I was thinking that but misspoke.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:17 AM, Latto said:

Well, I read that the people house hunting have already bought and lived in the home they choose at the end of the episode. I just wish they'd get back to lottery winners "finding" their home and not inheritances from family deaths. I guess they are running out of lottery winners. The show has felt off the past season or so though for some reason to me at least. 

That's been kind of an "open secret" here on the thread for a while about how the show is done. 

I also wish the show would be more about true lottery winners rather than inheritances or other winnings/windfalls, like insurance settlements.  At first I figured it was because a lot of lottery winners don't want to "out" themselves publicly to avoid scammers and predators but why wouldn't that also apply to people coming into a lot of money in other ways?  I'm wondering if it's because they're having trouble finding the "sweet spot" between the kind of nice houses the public wants to see and those more modest homes that a lot of the lottery winners buy.  At least this couple looked at some nicer homes.  A lot of the lottery winners go for very modest homes and then the viewers complain that they want to see nicer homes.

That said, I was happy with the home they chose, it was the one I wanted them to choose.  The other two, while not bad, weren't my favorites.  Although one of them would probably be OK if you took out all of grandma's hideous furniture, LOL.

• Like 2