Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Actually, he's peeing his fleece.

Who really knows what's going on down there? They must be home now...the quick check I did today looked like he changed his jacket. 

There is NO reason for him to be referencing ANYthing he's written. Surely there's plenty of other (stale) news to talk about. Like I said, nothing to see or learn here...just more self love from Joe.

• Love 2

Joe and Mika are taking the day off AGAIN.  

Willie is hosting the show.  The opening segment is about the president announcing Yosemite as "Yosemyte."  Willie thinks the Biden campaign should sell a shirt with the mispronounced word.  That is a really dumb idea. 

Willie has five guests in the Brady Bunch boxes.

Willie is running clips of the Jonathan Swan interview from HBO.  So they are just going to keep running this and chewing their cud every day.

Willie is competent, but I find him so damn boring. 

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, nittanycougar said:

Willie is competent, but I find him so damn boring. 

Speak for yourself, Willie is a great host.  Sometimes I just can’t deal with Joe & Mika’s 200% outrage (even if I do agree with them), so Willie’s dry sense of humor is always welcome around my place.

Also, never forget that Willie regularly clowned Tucker Carlson to his face when that guy had an MSNBC show.  He’s legit to me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, revbfc said:

Also, never forget that Willie regularly clowned Tucker Carlson to his face when that guy had an MSNBC show.  He’s legit to me.

I’m pretty sure that Willie used to work for Tucker Carlson, way back when. 

• Love 2

Is the 8:00 half-hour still a rerun with Willie hosting?  He has an easy manner that makes him a good fit for a morning show, especially one like The Today Show.  But a three-hour political show needs someone with a little more...how shall I put this....oomph?  If he is being considered for the MJ spot (if The Twins depart) he would need a lively co-host. Can you imagine what Nicole Wallace could do with this time slot?

Another thing.  😏 The problem with having such a public marriage on a show like this - we (well, me) always wonder when The Twins take a day off together.  Is it a vacation day or has something urgent come up.  Spat? Illness? Family get-together? Crisis? Too much time on my hands?

Can you imagine what Nicole Wallace could do with the 6-9 hours?  And another thing. 😏 One of the issues of being married to your on-air partner - when you both take a day off it leaves us (well, me) to wonder if there is something “going on” other than a vacation day.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cased said:

I’m pretty sure that Willie used to work for Tucker Carlson, way back when. 

Yes, he was was the producer of Tucker’s show, and he was also regularly on air with him.  That’s why I mentioned it.

Tucker: We’re friends, right?

Willie: No.  We’re not.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, revbfc said:

Willie’s dry sense of humor is always welcome

I agree but he's not what he used to be. I think the sullen and always outraged hosts have broken him. Remember Way Too Early? Such a fun and pleasant way to greet the day.

14 minutes ago, Kemper said:

both take a day off it leaves us (well, me) to wonder if there is something “going on”

Me, too. With all the host/time changes announced recently, I can only speculate what may be happening with the show. Anyone hear anything? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, revbfc said:

Speak for yourself, Willie is a great host.  Sometimes I just can’t deal with Joe & Mika’s 200% outrage (even if I do agree with them), so Willie’s dry sense of humor is always welcome around my place.

Agree 100%.  Willie is great in the morning. I don't need yelling and bragging and whining and sighing, and it's interesting Willie has no trouble pronouncing people's names, their titles, etc.   This is the first time since the twins were both gone last time that I've watched the whole show.  I like replaying the Swan interview, it's important that people see how an interview of this type can be conducted, there's push back, and it highlights the obvious in more than the shouting matches at the briefings.  Swan makes a point of not berating Trump in his interviews on the various channels,  then he doesn't come off as having an ax to grind. 

I'm tweeting at MSNBC how much better the show was.  Joe & Mika have been gone more than they've been on air the last few weeks. Joe was off 2 weeks,  then again most of last week, and now she's gone, and he's gone.  Good. Stay away. 

I guess we are stuck with boxes since we can't have 3 or 4 people around the desk.  Sometimes the other shows have 2 or 3 along the side of the screen.  I will say I don't know why Barnicle is still on. He's as useless as Joe & Mika. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Willie is hosting the show.  The opening segment is about the president announcing Yosemite as "Yosemyte."  Willie thinks the Biden campaign should sell a shirt with the mispronounced word.  That is a really dumb idea. 

They should run clips of Mika's verbal gaffes.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

The opening segment is about the president announcing Yosemite as "Yosemyte."  Willie thinks the Biden campaign should sell a shirt with the mispronounced word.  That is a really dumb idea. 

I believe the joke is that he said "Yo Semite". 

I think Willie was joking about the teeshirt. Biden is making way more hay out of "It Is What It Is". 

If they need someone with more "oomph", bring in Yasmin.  She doesn't have anyone to chat with on First Look , but the girl has game. She does not suffer fools.  She has worked as a journalist, and has more than proven she can handle the job. 

I think Willie has proven he could host and it wouldn't be fair to pass him over if he wants it.  He's put up with these tools for ten plus years. He hosts Sunday Today by himself and he handles three hours quite well.  

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, oakville said:

They should run clips of Mika's verbal gaffes.

Mika's off this week because she was terrified of mispronouncing Isaias. 

You know it would have come out "I says".  Or I say I ass

• LOL 6

I like Willie personally, but he doesn't engage me as a host.  It's weird because I am close to his age and should relate to him the most.  Maybe I'm just accustomed to seeing him as the sidekick.  

I should say that I respect the hell out WIllie for showing up every day and giving it his all to make the show run.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

Maybe I'm just accustomed to seeing him as the sidekick.  

A feisty cohost, one who isn't a raving lunatic, would work well, Willie is more sly with his snark. 

• Love 4

While I don't begrudge anyone taking time off during the summer, these two have already taken an enormous amount of time off both individually and together since summer began.  (I've been tracking them and Joe has taken 20 days off and Mika 16).  Under normal circumstances, I could rationalize that it being summer, they want to go on vacation.  But the bottom line is, they can't.  They live in Florida!  It's a nightmare down there and they should be stuck in their house.  What are they taking the time off for?  Is Joe writing his book or another column for the Washington Post?  Is Mika doing KYV stuff?  Fine, but do that on your OWN time and not have it interfere with doing your actual job on Morning Joe.  If anyone else did this as blatantly often as these two did, they'd be fired.  If I told my boss, I'm taking time off to write newspaper articles or my book and plus KYV instead of being at my job, I'd be fired.  And if by any chance, they are traveling out of state, shouldn't they be quarantined?  How do they get away with this crap?  Also, Joe didn't even bother to mention on Monday & Tuesday that Mika had the day off.  It immediately makes me question what's going on with those two.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Damaris56 said:

While I don't begrudge anyone taking time off during the summer, these two have already taken an enormous amount of time off both individually and together since summer began. 

Well, to be fair it's been a pretty boring summer. Not much going on in 2020.

• LOL 6

As  far as vacation, they are done working at 9 am.  It's not like they don't have the rest of the day to f around, because we know the crew back in NYC is doing all the work and emailing them the list of guests and topics the night before.   

That teeshirt is hilarious. 

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, oakville said:

Stephane Ruhle is very feisty!

She is too good for this. She has her own beat, her own tone, her own style, her own guests. And she's actually doing better in ratings right now, and there's no way it's just because "people in lockdown wake up later" - they may wake up later but they still have their 9 am Zoom morning staff meetings. She's doing better because she's runs a far superior show, and it shows.

ETA for accuracy bc she's not beating them every day (though some days she is), but she's overall doing a lot better for her timeslot

Edited by neona
  • Love 6

How has Joe not seen the entire Jonathan Swan interview? It's only 30 minutes long.  Since they played parts of it almost every day, and he talks about it constantly, wouldn't it behoove him to watch the whole thing?  He comments on Donald Trump every day for how ever many minutes he decides to work, and yet he's only watching this monumental interview in 90 second snippets? 

The laziness is astounding. 

I guess since Trump didn't mention Joe, he doesn't feel it's worth it. 

• Love 5

Willie announced that a new model from the IMHE shows 300,000 Covid deaths by December.

Joe did the same fucking talking points from January.  Joe said that he originally projected less than 50,000 deaths. So he is an expert in modeling.

Joe raged about masks and said that not wearing masks caused Covid.  If everyone just did what Joe said, this "Covid" thing would be solved.

Joe is wearing a ridiculous looking shirt with huge French cuffs.  The cuffs are sticking out of the jacket.  Come on, Joe, get a normal shirt or a jacket that fits FFS.  Did he pick up this look from one of his cronies on The Vineyard?

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 5

I didn't have it on at 6 am, so if there was a rant I missed it, but I have to admit, Joe & Willie are much better without Crazy Pants McCake around. 

Much lighter tone.  I have watched more of the show this week than in a long time. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I didn't have it on at 6 am, so if there was a rant I missed it, but I have to admit, Joe & Willie are much better without Crazy Pants McCake around. 

Much lighter tone.  I have watched more of the show this week than in a long time. 

Tbh, I agree. He did speak at length, but speaking as length is not as bad as long as it's, you know, NATURAL.

It's the fake pompous speeches that grate, and when the producers indulge him with those fake-earnest FREAKISH closeups, cutting out Mika, etc , I literally squirm in my seat. Like I'm OK if he shouts at his co-hosts or the guests, but please don't shout at ME, in full-screen, at 6 am, when I'm sleep-deprived/hungover/exhausted, which is ALWAYS the fucking case because it's ALWAYS 6 FUCKING AM! Gaaaah. Why does this not register?

There have been some segments this week I've truly, genuinely enjoyed. Like the conversations with Joe and Elise Jordan and the other guy Monday-ish about conservatism. And the discussion with Eugene today. And Kasparov!

Joe is most definitely is NOT a bad host - once he gives space to his co-hosts and other humans and acts with humility and curiosity he can actually be pretty damn good. And like most of you I like Willie. Yeah he's boring,  but he's competent, and when balanced out by the dynamism of Joe or Mika (when she decides it's OK to be herself), he balances out really well. 

• Love 3

And like most of you I like Willie. Yeah he's boring,  but he's competent, and when balanced out by the dynamism of Joe or Mika (when she decides it's OK to be herself), he balances out really well. 

Willie's just trying to show he has the chops for being an anchor. He's trying to be the adult now. But his dry sense of humor comes through nicely.

Anyone remember Willie and Tucker dancing at the end of Tucker's last show? They danced to a Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass tune ("The Mexican Shuffle/Teaberry Gum song?).  Willie's got moves.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, mojito said:

Anyone remember Willie and Tucker dancing at the end of Tucker's last show? They danced to a Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass tune ("The Mexican Shuffle/Teaberry Gum song?).  Willie's got moves.

IDK. I just hope he's gained a sense of self, and a sense of personal morality since then.

In these days you most definitely can't be all "I was just doin' my job, govn'er!" about these...objectively problematic stints with authoritarian dumbasses. You gotta say, I took a job, I did my best, but man, I wish I hadn't, and I'm most definitely a different person now.

I got a paycheck, and I learned how to look in the right camera, but I'm not sure my self-respect was worth it. In any case, I'm still learning, still growing, and I WILL do better in the future. That's literally all he needs to say. But he has to be honest about it, up front #freeadvice 

• Love 3

Joe said that kids are going to remember coronavurus like a war. 

Joe said we are approaching "three Vietnams" in coronavirus deaths.  

Mika and Joe are outraged that national security advisor Robert O'Brien did not ask the president whether he talked to Putin.

Mika said that her dad would have known if the president talked to the Russian leader.  Her dad knew when Jimmy Carter took a piss.

Mika is upset that Brent Scowcroft died because he was a national security adviser like her father.  Also now that Scowcroft is dead, Mika cannot drop his name as much as an important person she knows.  Very sad for her.

Edited by nittanycougar
  • Love 5

Joe called Trump's new appointee for the leadership of the Post Office a Friday Night Massacre. He could slow down & misdirect mail in ballots.

Mika is upset at Trump using a payroll tax cut to cut entitlements for Social Security.

Lemire is upset at Trump's club members attending his press conference in Bedminster with alcoholic drinks & not wearing masks. They also weren't 6 feet apart.

Lemire was not offered any alcohol during the press conference.

Joe said he is trying to inject bleach into the Postal system & cause chaos.

Mika is wearing her black Lululemon work out top.

Joe said that Trump's executive orders are unconstitutional.

• Love 3

Joe is upset at cutting payroll taxes. The unemployed don't pay payroll taxes.

Ratner said that Trump is transferring money from FEMA for his payroll tax cut.

There are now 6 Brady Bunch boxes. I expect Kasie & Michael Steele to criticize Trump.

• Love 3

Joe said the Republicans will be a minority party for a generation. They can't allow Trump's executive orders to become a precedent.

Joe said President Kamala Harris could use executive orders to allow more abortions & ban guns.

• Love 3

Kasie was allowed to speak at 6 21 am. She said Pelosi & Shumer have not confirmed that they will try to block Trump's executive orders. Trump is daring them to block more unemployment benefits.

Mika is mad at Republicans for not standing up to Trump.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Lemire said that Trump could win Wisconsin because college kids won't be on campus this fall in Madison.

Lemire said that Trump is also very competitive in NH, but Joe disagreed.

Joe believes Biden will win Pennsylvania.

• Love 3

Tell me I didn’t just hear Joe use “President Kamala Harris” as a boogey-woman, comparing her probable/future Executive Orders to what Trump did over the weekend. This was over-the-top even for him.

• Love 6

Joe said that Trump should have listened to Biden in late January. Biden's plan of listening to scientists would have stopped the virus.

Joe started shouting about the NSA talking about Wiffle ball & Goonies 2.

Mika started bragging about her dad & Brent Scowcroft. Joe said Dr Z was a great NSA. Mika beamed at Joe. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Tell me I didn’t just hear Joe use “President Kamala Harris” as a boogey-woman, comparing her probable/future Executive Orders to what Trump did over the weekend. This was over-the-top even for him.

It's important for Kamala Harris to do some events for Mika or at least mention Mika in her acceptance speech for VP. I think Mika would appreciate if Kamala also told the audience that Mika was one of her mentors & convinced her that she could become VP. It would help Mika's book sales & online KYV seminars.

Edited by oakville
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, oakville said:

Joe said President Kamala Harris could use executive orders to allow more abortions & ban guns.

If we had affordable, accessible, birth control, abortions wouldn't be nearly as necessary. 

You have no idea what women go thru making that decision, so why don't you shut the fuck up.    I bet if your daughter got pregnant, you'd break land speed records getting her to a clinic if she wanted one. You hypocritical asshole. 

• Love 6

You know what?  I think Joe should get called out on this.  He picked a black woman as an example of a President gone rogue; maybe I am just too prickly about this.  But this kind of bigoted garbage from news people (Hah!), especially ones who have such a large platform, has got to stop.  I can't believe no credited news organization, reporter or activist doesn't jump right on this.  I don't have Twitter but I wish someone would Tweet something about this to Miss KYV who sits RIGHT BESIDE this ass everyday.  

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Kemper said:

You know what?  I think Joe should get called out on this.  He picked a black woman as an example of a President gone rogue; maybe I am just too prickly about this.  But this kind of bigoted garbage from news people (Hah!), especially ones who have such a large platform, has got to stop.  I can't believe no credited news organization, reporter or activist doesn't jump right on this.  I don't have Twitter but I wish someone would Tweet something about this to Miss KYV who sits RIGHT BESIDE this ass everyday.  

Joe did get called out by a right wing news site for being a failed psychic.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/mark-finkelstein/2020/08/10/failed-psychic-scarborough-sees-line-democrat-presidents

• LOL 2

I think I'll tweet and Joe and thank him for making great suggestions for a President Harris. 

Clinics re open so women have the choice of how they proceed with a pregnancy, and stricter laws regarding guns sound good to me. 

No matter what Joe says about the party he belongs to, his political beliefs are so ingrained in him, they just come pouring out.  His anger at Trump is because Trump told him to take a hike, not for his behavior.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

I think I'll tweet and Joe and thank him for making great suggestions for a President Harris. 

Clinics re open so women have the choice of how they proceed with a pregnancy, and stricter laws regarding guns sound good to me. 

No matter what Joe says about the party he belongs to, his political beliefs are so ingrained in him, they just come pouring out.  His anger at Trump is because Trump told him to take a hike, not for his behavior.  

Joe was the lawyer who defended a person charged with murdering a doctor that performed abortions in Pensacola prior to running for Congress. Joe's campaign for Congress in 1994 was partially funded by anti abortion groups. Last week , Joe bragged about not having to "dial for dollars" because he had so many grass roots supporters. He wasn't willing to describe which groups in particular were supporting him.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2009/06/02/barrett-why-dont-msnbcers-question-morning-joe-about-abortion-doc-killings/

President Trump has yet to apologize to Joe for not putting Richard Haas & Harold Ford Jr in his cabinet. Trump's personal attacks on Mika & Joe were the final straw in their relationship.

• Love 2

Had to laugh when I tuned in this am: Lemire sharing a screen with some woman talking about socially distanced playdates. Not really his regular beat. Then the camera went to Joe and Mika (I like the new hair color but it is too short, she looks like a 12 year old boy) where he was talking and she was doing facial gymnastics. Seriously. Like she was practicing every emoji she's ever seen. Why can't she sit like an adult and pay attention with her mind, without all the drama? Turned it off.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, plumbago blues said:

Had to laugh when I tuned in this am: Lemire sharing a screen with some woman talking about socially distanced playdates. Not really his regular beat. Then the camera went to Joe and Mika (I like the new hair color but it is too short, she looks like a 12 year old boy) where he was talking and she was doing facial gymnastics. Seriously. Like she was practicing every emoji she's ever seen. Why can't she sit like an adult and pay attention with her mind, without all the drama? Turned it off.

Idk, I kinda like it. At least when she rolls her eyes at him the speeches seem a little less pompous and a little more tongue-in-cheek.

But again with the one-way "Donald" rants.  I get it, Joe, but... again, of the 1.3 million viewers, 1 299 999 of us aren't DJT and when the two of you are all tete-a-tete through the tee-vee it's pretty awkward for the rest of us. It's like a teacher yelling at length at one annoying kid while the other students are sitting there like, yikes, get us out of here. It's sunny outside, WE did nothing wrong, and the scary dude is being scary, even though he might be right, in principle.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Mika's making up for not getting her hair done for 4 months by going every week now. 

It's a bit too short, but the low lights look better. I'm assuming she realized that 40 volume bleach she was having applied to her hair to get the platinum was one of the reasons it looked so bad. 

I only saw Joe's 6 am rant, I didn't watch this morning, season finale of Perry Mason was calling.   I wish they'd have an actual infectious disease doctor on instead of the spine specialist.  I know he's an MD but FFS, how many of their friends are on the payroll? 

• Love 6

Joe started off the show with a clip of Trump blaming the Spanish Flu in 1918 on troops coming back from World War 2.

Joe is mad at Trump for making fun of people with southern accents & people who graduated from the Alabama law school.

Joe liked Sessions because he went to a law school in Alabama.

Only Joe is qualified to make fun of people with southern accents.

Joe is yelling at Trump for not knowing history.

Mika is dressed in a black top that would be appropriate for a funeral.

Joe said Trump was stupid to go to North Korea.

Joe sounds like Yoda when he is making fun of Trump for giving chocolate cake to President Xi.

Joe is trying to do a Trump accent by sounding like Yoda.

Joe said Trump should have listened to Joe Biden.

Mika is listening to Joe patiently. She said great job Sweetie after his 12 minute rant! This is not professional.

Elise Jordan got a new light for her living room. I predict Elise will say something snarky about Trump.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I really think that Mika should have refrained from the "Good job, Sweetie". The compliment was undeserved and the "Sweetie" on a news program would've pissed off a lot of spouses.

• Love 5