Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

They interrupted Politics Nation (not a bad thing)

Poor Rev Al.  He's a nice guy and means well.  But my GOD he has a tenuous handle on normal English.  My wife and I will say, "What did he just say?" in unison constantly as his show is on.  It's too frequent to take him seriously, although he is an earnest man for the most part (he sometimes panders for ratings at times, as does everyone). 

It's always been curious to me that the other side considers him a walking, breathing demon.  I don't understand what he represents to them, and I don't understand where they've been fed this meme.

• Love 2

I'm on the west coast feed so I wake up in the night, turn on the TV , and its MJ time. I watch for a bit then go back to sleep. Anyway, this morning I turned it on and pretty much all it was was screenshots of Trump while he blathered endlessly on the phone.  Everyday he comes up with whatever passes for thinking in that big head of his and feels the need to vomit it out into the rest of the world as his pearls of wisdom or whatever. And MJ listens breathlessly to every syllable. This morning I thought, my gawd they aren't even panning to Mika and Joe and the table now, they are just filling the screen with Trumps head and shots of Trump at press conferences etc while flashing things like 'Trump on criminal justice' or 'Trump on immigration' on a huge chyron along the bottom of the screen. He's taken over the show. It's disgusting.  

This is EXACTLY why you don't friend your cranky grandfather on facebook.  

And in stopped clock is right twice a day news, Sarah Palin actually said something I thought was good (I know).  She said Trump's policies sound like things a guy says after drinking a six pack of beer.  Heh. So true. But then she lost all her points by following that with 'and that's why I like him'.  But I kept thinking about the beer when I was watching MJ this morning.  

• Love 7

"Today on Morning Trump, it is Groundhog Day. Emails and Trump. Trump called in and spoke for 20 minutes, dominating the topics as Mike and Joe lay prostrate at his feet. Disgusting."

I found it strange that Mika would not rebut Trump on his refusal to raise the minimum wage due to competition from other countries.

Before Trump, Mika would always enthusiastically support a $15 minimum wage for everybody.

Joe said he was trying to get his brother tickets to the Trump show in Mobile Alabama.

Mika said her 17 year old loved watching the Trump Town Hall yesterday.

Trump was funny when he called in & told Heileman he used to hate him but now he likes him. He also said positive things about Eugene Robinson.

Heileman said everyone was excited to see the Trump helicopter in Iowa when they were at Hillary's speech.

Joe called Trump a Happy Warrior & Jeb Bush looks miserable while speaking.

John Meacham said Trump could get support like Ross Perot. They take about California electing celebrities like Arnold Schwarzenneger.

Trump said Hillary is lucking that the Democrats control the Justice Department so they are reluctant to indict her .

Trump said she was worse than General Petraus.

Trump said the wall he would build would be classy & beautiful with his name on it. He's pretty funny.

Trump called John Kerry a baby for riding a bicycle during negotiations with Iran.

Joe was mad this good friend Governor Bob from Virginia was in jail for accepting a Rolex watch as a bribe.

• Love 4

HuffPo's Danny Shea came right out and said it: Morning Trump is all about ratings: a 30 point (?) jump coinciding with coverage of The Donald, according to DS. Joe and Mika were united and thisclose in their disgust with Shea's comments. I guess he is myopic, and can not see that they are way ahead of the curve.

• Love 2

Today on Morning Trump.

Donny Deutsche without makeup was on the set. He said that Hillary's email issue wasn't a big deal. There was no profound effect on her poll numbers.

Joe got mad at Donny and said where have you been.

Dony said pro Hillary voters didn't care & anti Hillary voters wouldn't support her anyway.

New pols shoed Biden doing better against Trump than Hillary.

They replayed clips of Donald Trump bragging about how many people would attend his event in Alabama.

A judge in DC said Hillary did not follow govt policy on email.

Joe & Mika badgered Jeremy Peters for refusing to criticize Hillary over her emails.

They showed clips of Jeb using the term anchor babies. Joe said he remembers Jeb getting cranky as govern

or.

Jim Webb came on to discuss policy.

Chuck Todd said the Clinton campaign was trying to parse legal words to protect themselves.

Chuck Todd said Rubio was more polite to the anchor babies than Jeb Bush.

Joe said Hillary protected herself by saying that others deleted emails.

In a moment of lucidity, Joe said that big issues could derail the Trump campaign. There could be a stock market crash or escalation of war in Syria etc.

Joe said Bill Clinton would not get elected if the Cold war had not ended.

Donny said Hillary dressed as Mao Tse Tung. Joe said Hillary should not wear orange jump suits .

Mika got mad at Donny & Joe for making fun of Hillary's clothes.

What? No 20 minutes of commercial free Trump to start the show?

Instead all about Jimmy Carter.   Mika and Joe polite and respectful.

Thank God they had common sense for a change.

They replayed clips of Donald Trump bragging about how many people would attend his event in Alabama.

Chuck Todd said the Clinton campaign was trying to parse legal words to protect themselves.

Wonder if they'll mention that Trump only got half as many people at his event as he had been crowing he'd get.

Wonder if Chuckles will mention the fact that Gowdy's Bengazi congressional investigation committee was publishing Clinton's emails before they were classified and thus are as guilty as Bloviatin' Joe claims Hillary is for distributing classified information. Funny how they never mention that just this past January Jeb did a big dump of his private email account from when he was governor and besides there being glaring gaps in the time frame, a lot of the information he put out to the public was very intrusive into people's private lives including their SSN's and medical information and whatnot. Funny how it only matters when it's a Clinton.

• Love 6

So... was at a neighborhood dinner party last night with dear friends and fun neighbors and family as well (who are also neighbors).  We live in a quintessential old Charleston neighborhood with the live oaks and Spanish moss canopying the streets and azaleas and the whole 9.  Idyllic.

So at this party our hosts are close, close friends and we go to each others' clubs and vacation together, and at the table, he said without prodding, "I volunteered to chair the Charleston for Trump committee, and we get started on our real work next week."  There were muttered approvals around the table.  I felt like I was hit by a bolt of lightning, and I just stared at the table top like this for about 7 minutes ->  O_O

I actually thought of you guys and knew you'd each have funny or pithy snarky remarks, but I had nothing other than profound disappointment and confusion.  His wife looked at me the whole time and laughed out loud and pointed at me, "Look, Joe is dumbstruck!"

• Love 4

Landsnark, I feel your pain.  I felt the same way when my college educated brother-in-law declared recently that global climate change is a hoax.  He started dating my sister when I was 12 and I have idolized him since so the disappointment I felt was overwhelming.  I'm afraid to ask him what he thinks of Trump.

Mika and Joe are certainly on the defensive when it come to their preferential coverage of Trump.  I'll believe their explanation that they are only covering him because he draws such large crowds when they give the same amount of time to Bernie Sanders.  I noticed they didn't mention the people at the Trump rally who were shouting "white power" or the attendee who thinks we should put bounties on the heads of undocumented immigrants.

A little free advice to Chris Christie.  If you want to show how you can relate to average americans, don't whine about having to pay $120,000 in tuition to Princeton and Notre Dame.  Your average american is just hoping to afford Minnesota-Duluth or Wisconsin-Green Bay without going into debt.

• Love 4

I think he (Christie) was just using the opportunity to brag on his kids' college admissions accomplishments.

And I call bullshit on the all the "stadium full" remarks - it was half full.  To date, Trump has not come close to Bernie's highest crowd sizes.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 3

LOL ShuFace88

Some local love.  We just finished putting our daughter through Macalester on our own money because it was her dream school even though we couldn't qualify for financial aid.  And our last name isn't Christie.

• Love 3

@Stormy, excellent school.  You impressed me! :)

My daughter didn't apply to her dream school (NYU) for fear she'd be admitted and and heartbroken as they aren't big with aid at all.  She settled for one of the sisters and loves the Harry Potterish traditions.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

Some local love.  We just finished putting our daughter through Macalester on our own money because it was her dream school even though we couldn't qualify for financial aid.  And our last name isn't Christie.

Great school in a great city.  We lived in St. Paul for eight years and loved it but then my husband was transferred for his job out to the east coast.  We are both originally from Wisconsin.  I would move back to the Twin Cities in a heartbeat.  Wonderful quality of life if you can handle the winters and strong progressive political leaders like Amy Klobuchar who did a good job on the show yesterday.  We won't even consider moving back to Wisconsin while Walker is still governor. He has caused such harm to what used to be another great progressive state.

Edited by ShuFace88
  • Love 3

Morning Biden today!. The panel discussed the pros/cons of Biden running for President. Josh Earnest said that choosing Biden was Obama's best decision. Joe said that Obama was upset with Hillary for soiling the office of Secretary State with her email issues. Her refusal to follow  Obama's policies on email is outrageous according to Joe. Only 51 out of 769 of Obama's fund raisers have committed to Hillary. I think Ratner has become a Clinton fundraiser. 

There was a few clips of the new Trump ad using Bush's mom saying there shouldn't be another Bush president. Trump was upset at Bush for speaking Spanish so he sent a nasty tweet saying Bush should stop speaking Mexican ( this is not a language) & speak English.

Al Hunt said Biden should run with Elizabeth Warren. Reagan did this in 1976, by announcing a VP pick before the convention.

Mika would be happy if Warren  was picked for VP.

Joe & the panel were very upset with DeBlasio for allowing homeless people to sleep on the streets & in Central Park. Joe said DiBlasio wants squeegees in the City. They clean windshields for money.

Barnicle said the FBI & Justice Dept are a wildcard . An indictment would be bad for Hillary.

Joe said everyone knew about the Chinese stock market bubble. It reminds him of Japan in 1988.

• Love 1

Joe, face in hand:  "When will my party get its hand out of the blender?"

LOL

Edit: Really appreciated that it wasn't the Trump show today.  I stopped watching after 15 minutes yesterday.

Edit 2: For those that missed it, the quote above came after they showed Jeb Bush's most recent comment on the topic of "anchor babies".  It was...less than optimal.

Edited by melbaby
  • Love 1

MSNBC is guilty too. They preempted most of Hard Ball and All In with Chris Hayes to cover Trump's speech too. 

I've complained about same before.  I'm no supporter of the republicans, but I actually feel sorry for the rest of them.

The number one issue for me is, why the hell do they think that the rest of us, which is actually most of us give a damn about what he screams about every day?

• Love 6

MSNBC is guilty too. They preempted most of Hard Ball and All In with Chris Hayes to cover Trump's speech too. 

I've complained about same before.  I'm no supporter of the republicans, but I actually feel sorry for the rest of them.

The number one issue for me is, why the hell do they think that the rest of us, which is actually most of us give a damn about what he screams about every day?

Yeah, isn't MSNBC supposed to be the sort-of liberal network? I don't think their core audience cares this much about this asshole. Really ridiculous at this point and it has been for weeks now. 

• Love 1

Trump plays the music and MSNBC dances the jig.  Trump calls a 'press conference' and everyone shows up and broadcasts it live.  Trump has a rally and everyone broadcasts it live.  On the rare days neither of those two things are happening he tweets or finds a mic and says something outrageous and its all anyone talks about all day.  And he regularly calls in the cable news shows to hold forth on whatever frothy bit of hate and nonsense bubbles up in his brain at the moment.  All on air. Why should Trump do anything differently?  He is a master at drawing all attention to himself at all times. And if any dare to look away for a moment, he knows just what to say or do to draw them back and be the center of the universe once more.  

I personally was chilled when he had that reporter forcibly expelled from the press conference because he didn't like the questions.  He seems to think 'fair treatment' equals 'fawning admiration' softball questions only. And he's back insulting Megyn Kelly again.  

And MSNBC and CNN and everyone else justifies giving Trump this kind of attention because he's such good drama and has big crowds.  They'd have loved Hitler in the day.  He knew how to charismatically spew xenophobic hatred and a gift for managing government better and the crowds just loved him.  He was all about making Germany 'great again' if they would just trust him to take control and get rid of the undesirables that were bringing them all down.... Oh, wait. 

Anyway, I'm sure MJ will be fawning over him again tomorrow.  He's ratings gold, I guess.  I missed today's Trump free day sadly.  I fully expect to tune in to Trump again tomorrow though. Trump has produced enough drama and antics today for folks to respond to and he can tell all about it tomorrow when he calls in to discuss it with Joe.  As he does. 

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 7

No offense intended, but Trump is the new Obama.  Only Trump is a hate spewing nativist liar, whilst Obama was just a magnificent marketing experiment.

I was shocked what he did with Ramos, but that will only fill his base with glee.  It completely dooms him in the general election thank goodness.

I never thought that this would ever happen, but I found myself practically applauding Roger Ailes yesterday.  We are down the rabbit hole.

NBC/MSNBC had at least two reporters in that room, Kasie Hunt and Katy Tur - Chip Reid (CBS) was an ass and just wanted to get his fawning softball question out, I was impressed that Kasie Hunt challenged Trump on having Ramos dragged out of the room.  Trump tried to play it off that the security wasn't his, such a damned liar, it was his personal body guy.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 5

And of course the bloviating douchebaggotry that is Joe is in highest gear this morning. And Mika agreeing with his every word. The urge to put the table lamp through my television was almost overwhelming. How can they, Ramos aside, not ever even mention that Trump NEVER answers a question?

Edited by captain1
  • Love 6

Morning Trump continued today.

Trump wants to ban teleprompters.

Trump & Jorge Ramos got into a big argument over immigration & building walls etc. He got thrown out of the press conference by security.

Kasie Hunt spoke up in favor of Jorge , so they allowed Mr Ramos back into the room.

Joe got mad at Kasie for not agreeing with him. He said Ramos was not a reporter & was rude to Trump by interrupting him. Kasie said Ramos has his own style of asking questions.

Trump called John Kerry a Shmuck for riding a bicycle & breaking a leg. He said the Iranians were laughing at Kerry.

Mika & Joe have a vested interest in staying on Trump's good side. He is great for ratings.

Willie made fun of Joe's green jacket.

• Love 1

Does anyone else tire of Willie Geist's smarminess?

I do. I think Willie is upset that NBC chose to renew Matt Lauer's contract. Willie was supposed to be a top candidate to replace Matt.

Willie is stuck on Morning Joe & the third hour ? on the Today Show.

Trump does not give speeches.  There is no substance.  It's just a platform for him to insult everyone, talk about how wonderful he is and how he loves everyone and they love him.

Are Joe and Mika going to defend him when as POTUS he has to work with congress after he's called them all stupid?  Will they threatened to impeach him everyday?  Shut down the government because Mexico won't pay for the Trump Tower fence?  And what about Boehner and McConnell (if he's still in charge) are they going to kiss ass because after all, he's a republican?

And the generals at the Pentagon that he's insulted and claimed he knows more about the military than they do?

Trump will waste his time insulting everyone, including Caroline Kennedy but has to put Carly "I nearly bankrupted HP" Fiorina in her place.

I want him on MJ so badly just to see if and Mika compare notes on their blonde hair color.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 2

I personally was chilled when he had that reporter forcibly expelled from the press conference because he didn't like the questions.

I was also chilled when Trump told Ramos to "go back to Univision".  I can't believe Joe tried to make the case that President Obama would have handled this the same way.  In my opinion the President would have said something like "hold on a minute, Jorge, I called on him first and you're next".  There's no way Obama would have signaled his security to remove a reporter because he didn't like the question.  

Joe also proved what a bubble he lives in when he accused Ramos of getting his "15 minutes of fame".   Jorge Ramos is the anchor of the nightly news for Univision which is watched by over 2 million people.  Joe would give his left arm for those ratings.  Conventional wisdom says republicans have to get at least 40% of the Latino vote in order to win the presidency.  The rest of the republicans know that Trump is handing the election to the democrats and they can't do anything about it.

Jorge Ramos gave an interview this morning and said he has been trying to get an interview with Trump for weeks.  He finally sent Trump a hand written note with his personal cell phone number.  Of course, Trump posted the number online.  Very mature!

• Love 4
Yeah, isn't MSNBC supposed to be the sort-of liberal network? I don't think their core audience cares this much about this asshole. Really ridiculous at this point and it has been for weeks now.

This pisses me off every night. I even FF through the parts where they talk about his "impact".

What does Joe know about being a reporter? Ramos isn't a reporter? Kasie was having none of Joe's BS this morning.

• Love 1

I think they're terrified that if they don't show it, he'll do something insane, like throw Jorge Ramos out of a presser, and they won't be covering it.  The thing is, they can have the feed and not show it, unless he pull one of his stunts. 

I refuse to watch anything that he's on, period.  And I'm emailing MSNBC.  Not that they give a rats ass about me, but I am a regular viewer of their programming, and if I hear anyone mention that douchebag's name, I'm out.   We all know the shit he's pulling, you don't have to keep ramming it down our throats. 

And I do realize that he's the only game in town right now, there is nothing to talk about in politics, but for the love of God, stop feeding the troll. 

• Love 6
Are Joe and Mika going to defend him when as POTUS he has to work with congress after he's called them all stupid?

Of course, the giant irony here is that all Joe has done for the past seven years is complain about how President Obama has alienated Congress, he won't work with them, he doesn't know how to navigate Washington, blah blah blah.

It's okay if you're Trump, though, I guess.

• Love 2

I only lasted 23 minutes today.  I think Joe and Mika's biggest fear is hearing Trump say "I used to like Joe and Mika and they liked me" followed by the usual gas about how they are indebted to him for their ratings.  I bet Mika is especially terrified that he'll start retweeting unflattering tweets about her from the past.

I will never forget Fiorina explaining how none of us in high tech had a right to the jobs she was outsourcing.  Way to look out for "the American people" Carly.

• Love 3

Leave it to Joe and Mika to make the Virginia news crew shooting all about them:

Joe: Mika, I thought of you immediately when I heard about this!

Mika: Yes, Joe, I used to do that job and it's just awful. I'm so shaken up because it could have been me!!!!

• Love 4
Leave it to Joe and Mika to make the Virginia news crew shooting all about them:

Joe: Mika, I thought of you immediately when I heard about this!

Mika: Yes, Joe, I used to do that job and it's just awful. I'm so shaken up because it could have been me!!!!

Oh for fuck's sake. Did she work at that station?  I thought that's why she was upset, because she had worked there back in the day and felt a kinship with the people there now and of course because of Adam and Alison being killed.

Silly me, thinking Mika had a moment of non narcissistic awakening.   

When Alison's fiance was describing her to Mika, it was really hard not to get teary eyed, I don't know how he held it together.  I saw the video the gunman shot, up until the gun went off. It was horrifying.  That poor producer who had to watch it all while at the station.  

Managed 15 minutes of this vomitous show this morning. They had 30 seconds on the very serious problem of migrants dying by the hundreds trying to get to asylum in Europe and then had to get back to their bashing of Hillary. Bloviatin' Joe was trying to compare Hillary sending unclassified emails to him knowing he shouldn't shoplift blazers from a store. What the hell???? No wonder he loves Trump. Finally someone who is more idiotic than him.

• Love 5

Joe is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen.  He nearly lost his mind over Hillary's comments about the republicans views on women and asked "what would happen if a republican said something like this?"  I'll tell you what would happen, they would be leading the polls just like Trump is.  Then he said 50% of the country is pro-life so Hillary just called 50% of the country terrorists.  I am almost certain 50% percent of the country does not want to see a woman die instead of having an abortion or force rape and incest victims to have their abuser's child.  What really made my blood boil was the interview with Scott Walker.  They did not ask him one question on his opposition to rape, incest and life of the mother exceptions to abortion.  I hope Hillary stands her ground and does not apologize.  It's time to fight fire with fire.

• Love 6

Chris Matthews was struggling with Hillary's comments last night as well - put me in Jennifer Grandholm's column - the GOP is being far far too extreme with women's reproductive rights and it's about damn time that our language starts calling them out for their extreme religious zealotry bullshit with strong language.

And I don't hear Joe calling Ted Cruz out for saying that Obama wants to fund the terrorists.  Joe's so full of crap and such a hypocrite it makes this show bad for my blood pressure.

Shok, you have the right of it, if they aren't going to be less dishonest and unbalanced about politics they need to just do straight news and cover the big stories of the day more properly and with more depth.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 3

From that article on The Wrap.

Joe now thinks he's Mr. MSNBC.

Comparing Chris with Ronan Farrow is wrong. Just wrong.  Chris is actually doing news pieces and some of the fluff he covers I think may be forced on him the way they did to Keith Olbermann.

Joe vs Brian Williams.  Ugh.

Edited by stormy