Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Twenty minutes into the show, we're off to the first commercial break with the tease of Kramer and Trump ahead (ugh) and not a single word about the utter slaughter in Nigeria by Boko Haram.  Lot's of criticism of Obama and Kerry for not being in France yesterday, but no mention of possibly two thousand brown people being massacred.  Hmmm....

But...but...but... "the optics!"  I'm sure it would have been nice to have someone "more important" than the U.S. Ambassador to France to attend the rally.  My Republican husband, while watching the Today Show, sniped, "Give me a break!  If President Obama HAD gone, then the same people would have accused him of showboating, making it all about himself, and wasting our tax dollars to fly to Paris when we have problems here at home!"  Not to mention mobilizing Secret Service "protection," which they can't even give the guy whether he's at the White House or on an elevator in Atlanta.  I guess it's a matter of President Obama is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  At least he wasn't on the golf course.  Just sayin'.

It's also pitiful that I got wind of the 2,000 people massacred by Boko Haram from some source other than corporate media.  If they did mention it, I blinked and missed it.

So, we're to deduce in the world according to Morning Joe, politically correct Extreme Islamic Jihadist Terrorism only counts if white people are killed?

Well, we saw how outraged he became when those poor babies were killed in Newtown, Connecticut.  He was suddenly pushing for sensible background checks for gun owners, which is heresy for his crowd.  But, of course, those dead school children reminded him of his own, which he readily admitted.  The usual anti-Obama brigade flooded the Sunday morning GOP propaganda shows to rant and rail about the president, his lack of foreign policy experience, his not going to France, etc., etc.  Yet, none of these people were in least that outraged when school children were gunned down or showed an ounce of solidarity with those parents.  They swore their continued allegiance to the NRA instead.  I also remember some of these same people denounced France when it did not want to be members of the Coalition of the Willing.  Something about them being cowards...

• Love 7
Granted, I have never worked in television so have no knowledge of the technicalities involved, but at the very least...could Joe not have covered his mic with his hand while coughing up a lung or snorting snot? Good lord that was disgusting. Couldn't the control room have kept an eagle eye on him and just cut his sound for 5 seconds while he "cleared his throat"?

IIRC, Maddow had mentioned before that she has & others have buttons they can press if they know they are going to cough. It kills the mic. I guess Joe doesn't believe in filtering anything that comes out of his mouth?

• Love 4
But...but...but... "the optics!"  I'm sure it would have been nice to have someone "more important" than the U.S. Ambassador to France to attend the rally.  My Republican husband, while watching the Today Show, sniped, "Give me a break!  If President Obama HAD gone, then the same people would have accused him of showboating, making it all about himself, and wasting our tax dollars to fly to Paris when we have problems here at home!"  Not to mention mobilizing Secret Service "protection," which they can't even give the guy whether he's at the White House or on an elevator in Atlanta.  I guess it's a matter of President Obama is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I watch France 2 news at night & they did mention that there were dissapointed that President Obama's did not attend the march. From a security standpoint, it would be risky having the President out on the main streets of Paris. I think it would have been appropriate to send VP Biden who was free on Sunday. For the record , Canada did not send our Prime Minister . The government sent a member of the Cabinet.

I agree that the terrorism in Africa has been underreported.

I think the massacre of the elementary school kids in Connecticut took place near where Joe lived. Joe said he frequently visited the memorial on the weekends.

Does Mika realize she works in television?  She's so strange.

I've been giggling over this comment all day.  Just for kicks I want to scratch my head and tell people "You know, I just don't GET modern medicine or doctors or hospitals and stuff!" even though I work in healthcare...cannot stop laughing...

• Love 3

The panel discussed Ohio State's win in football. Joe then went on a rant defending Israel & European Jews. Joe then said Obama should have gone to the funeral & dismissed Mika's concerns about security. Joe then said that Obama was wrong about Al Queda being on the run & that ISIS was a JV team. There was a newspaper report that Obama was downplaying the terrorism issue. Sam Stein Obama has launced a record amount of drones against terrorists.

Joe: "there's some that suggest..."

::eyeroll::

FauxSnooze: "some people say..."

eta; What purpose does it serve with Joe in the control room lately?  Mostly on the "puff" or entertainment guests?

Edited by NextIteration

I watch France 2 news at night & they did mention that there were dissapointed that President Obama's did not attend the march. From a security standpoint, it would be risky having the President out on the main streets of Paris. I think it would have been appropriate to send VP Biden who was free on Sunday. For the record , Canada did not send our Prime Minister . The government sent a member of the Cabinet.

I agree that the terrorism in Africa has been underreported.

I think the massacre of the elementary school kids in Connecticut took place near where Joe lived. Joe said he frequently visited the memorial on the weekends.

Joe lives in New Canaan, or did when he was married, which is about 25-30 miles from Newtown.

AG Holder, who was in Paris, should have attended the rally. No excuse.

• Love 2

Joe doesn't understand lady parts.

Hell, he doesn't even understand basic back issues.  I personally know two middle-aged women who had to have breast reduction surgery due to ongoing back problems that became increasingly worse with each passing year.  One was in such excruciating pain that she could barely stand for long periods of time and was stopped over.  Since they've had their surgeries, their back issues are virtually non-existent.

Joe says shit out of his mouth sometimes just to be provocative.  However, there are other times he says things because he is woefully ignorant and/or being deliberately obtuse.

As an added note:  I'm still waiting for the world-wide outrage and show of solidarity about that wholesale slaughter in Nigeria.  The Washington Post mentioned it this morning, but it sure as hell didn't occupy any space on the front page.

• Love 4

Joe was off today. Mika said she knew that Joe had the flu shot . Mika was happy that Donny Deutshe will get his own comedy show on the USA network. Mika will be having cameos on the show since it is based on Donny's real life. The snark factor for this show will be off the charts.

Joe is off today. Mika announced that she & Joe will be hosting a prime time show on the Friday before the Super Bowl in Glendale Arizona. Mika was excited to be going to the Super Bowl. It's surprising that Joe would go given how outraged he was over the Domestic Violence Issue in the NFL. He bragged that he never watched NFL football etc.

There was a good debate on the merits of raising capital gains taxes to 28% for wealthier Americans.

My web based applications have been screwed up for weeks. I think the problems are finally resolved and I can rejoin my favorite political forum (and no, I don't live in my parents basement as Joe would describe their "haters"). I caught a bit of the show this morning. I too, was shocked that Mika was so "pretend" excited about attending the Super Bowl given their previous comments about the NFL and how Commisioner Goodell should resign. Such hypocrites. I only wish the halftime show would include Bill Cosby, Chris Christie, Bob McDonnell, Mark Sanford, and the police officer in Furgeson --all such good guys and friends of Joe and Mika. Ahem, maybe it's time to rethink your friendship standards...just saying...

Having grown up in Michigan I enjoyed the segment on the couple in Flint and the non-profit that was rehabbing old school buildings into affordable housing for seniors. These are the stories that are so under reported because what...they look like community organizing gone wild and fight the narrative that organizing communities isn't a real American job or necessary if you have rich American businessmen doing what they think is right for disadvantage communities.

So Joe, how's adopting Detroit coming along? Have you made one iota of a difference except paying the limo driver to drive you to an event and then right back to the airport? Hmmm, maybe if they were offered owners seats to a Tiger, Piston, Lions, or Red Wings game they might stick around? Or how about the FORD Foundation actually moving back to Michigan from NYC when the young scions of the Ford Company decided NYC had groovier parties as Detroit and their worker crumbled? Naw, that's just crazy talk.

• Love 6

These dummies just let Mike Huckabee shovel that shit about "bubbaville" as if it made sense. Maybe it wouldn't have been so noticeable to me if Jon Stewart hadn't skewered him last night.

Thank God Joy came in and basically said "don't make me laugh, he'll never be President".

Also why didn't Mika comment on how much weight Huckabee has gained? Not to fat shame but fat shaming is Mika's reason for living.

Edited by Maire
  • Love 7

These dummies just let Mike Huckabee shovel that shit about "bubbaville" as if it made sense. Maybe it wouldn't have been so noticeable to me if Jon Stewart hadn't skewered him last night.

Thank God Joy came in and basically said "don't make me laugh, he'll never be President".

Also why didn't Mika comment on how much weight Huckabee has gained? Not to fat shame but fat shaming is Mika's reason for living.

Especially when Huckabee espouses a lot of what, when Joe feels he needs to pander to the middle, is rabidly and vocally against no matter how much Huckabee tries to wrap it in front porch  "gosh' and 'gee' geniality.  I think the moderates and just slightly left that are potential vote fluctuations see right through Huckabee no matter how folksy and friendly he tries to see even as he espouses what, to me amounts to hate and intolerance on his best day.

And how freaking huge is he getting?  On The Daily Show he looked as wide at the waist as he is tall!  Where was Mika's "set down the donut" joshing tirade she has had no problem giving others?  I'm thinking from what I have seen of Huckabee is he actually incredibly thin skinned and I wonder if the show knows that by now?  I recall him being on once before and it never, ever came up he had a show on a competiting network or held to account for comments he made there on the very matter they then discussed on MJ. 

Weight is an issue.  I get that.  But it reminds me of my late great aunt who said "Republicans were born without an upper lip" (which seems to be true more often than not") and white men who gain power and privilege tend to do so starting at the waist.  Dick Cheney, Rick Santorum, Chris Christie, Dick Morris and several others at one point or another have all proven this true.  I always use to say it was the demon they agreed to let be incubated within in exhange for power in the contract they signed with devil reaching full term.

• Love 4

Welcome Back HebbieJeebie!. IIRC you were one of the original Morning Joe forum posters on TWOP.

I was impressed that Joe was embarrassed enough by his attire this morning that he decided to change from a sweatshirt @6 am into a navy blue blazer & pink shirt by 6:30 am. The other males on the set were dressed in suits.

Why does Joe think it is OK to dress poorly on his show?

Joe was upset that Jeb Bush scored poorly at 19 Fav 32 Unfav. Joe said Jeb's dad was more popular now than he was when he was President. Joe said that George W was also becoming more popular.

Joe concede that Americans would be upset with one family having 3 Presidents.

Mika defended Romney & said he was sympathetic to the poor despite his gaffes in 2012.

Kasie Hunt said the donor class of the GOP liked Bush but that regular Republicans weren't as excited.

• Love 1

And how freaking huge is he getting?  On The Daily Show he looked as wide at the waist as he is tall!

Well, as soon as Michelle Obama made her pet project in the White House a campaign to eat healthy and well, you know Huckabee had to go in the opposite direction.

• Love 3

@Landsnark, even though we were blissfully Joe-free (apparently his family is doing round two with the flu) it pretty much felt like I was watching FoxSnooze with a small exception here and there, like Bernie Sanders.

It's like they decide editorially to do the opposite of whatever the night folks do just to be contrarian.

Good discussion the GOP meeting in Iowa. Joe met with Charles Koch & told the audience he was a great guy. Joe went on & on about how many great things Koch did for hospitals, schools & that he was a libertarian etc. Does Joe get paid or endorsing Koch?

• Love 4

Mika was right there with him gushing.  To be honest though - from the philanthropy aspect the Koch's are infamous for it - I suppose that's what they hide behind, or how they get good tax breaks.  Rachel Maddow mentioned the schools that the Koch brothers donate to last week I believe- I was absolutely astonished that my daughter's uber liberal, liberal arts college is on the list.

As I'm typing, lol, there is a Koch Industries happy time ad running on MNSBC.  *shudder*

Had to laugh at Nicolle's dyspepsia over Palin's awful speech in Iowa this past weekend. ETA: added link and chortle that Newsbusters went after her, the comments are the best part for a laugh!

Edited by NextIteration

Mika "I take Amblien, does that make me a drug addict?" Yup. Bwah!!!

LOL!. Mika looked like she had come from an awards show!. Joe dressed up for Snowmageddon with a navy blazer & a pink sweater. He looked like a refugee from Martha's Vineyard.

• Love 3

Joe & Ayman got into an argument over America Sniper. Ayman said the movie did not reflect who Chris really was. Ayman said Chis made racist comments about iraquis calling them savages. Joe got angry at Ayman when Ayman referred to Chris's killing sprees in Iraq.

Apparently, the movie is popular in Iraq. Mika said Chris was suffering from PTSD. Thee was tension on the set & Joe said that Ayman was reading too many of Michael Moore's tweets.

Joe exploded at Sam Stein over Stein saying that Obama adopted the GOP health care plan. Mika put her hand on Joe's shoulder to restrain him.

Joe said Ayman was his friend, & joked about the negative tweets he was getting from Ayman's supporters,

Two hours of morning Joe on Friday night !.

For the fist time in ages, I had some time to watch the entire show. There is a new segment at 8:30 am where Joe goes in the control room & Mika interviewed Beth Stern about Kitten Bowl. Mika will be adopting a kitten from Howard & Beth Stern. Mika also got to interview a Super Model Molly Sims. Earlier on the show ,Mika was happy that she got to wear the Miss Universe crown. Mika mumbled to Joe that she always wanted to be a princess.

The people at MSNBC know their demographics. Chris and Rachel get the night off so Joe gets their block of 2 hours. This way it won't interfere with the people who make watching Lockup appointment TV on Friday nights.

Mika & Joe are now on Hardball with Chris Matthews. Mika is wearing a short white dress with a fushia cape. Joe is wearing tan pants, pink sweater & navy blue blazer with no socks!. They look like the perfect preppy couple going out for drinks @ the country club. They are discussing Mitt Romney's decision to drop pout of the Presidential race. Joe said Romney is mad at Bush. Joe said Obama & George W both had daddy issues.

Joe said Obama didn't have a dad. Joe said the Bushes & Clintons are like skull & bones.

• Love 1

Wow, Morning Joe on Friday evening?  This is weird.  I'll keep in on, though I'm not sure how much brain power I'm willing to devote to it right now.

I like pink, but their pinks clash and it's oddly distracting.

• Love 1

From "Crooks & Liars" this morning. A must read take on what MSNBC did last night:

"MSNBC Sticks A Fork in the Eye of Hayes and Maddow Viewers By Putting Morning Joe On At Night".

http://crooksandliars.com/2015/01/msnbc-sticks-fork-eye-hayes-and-maddow

Joe must have convinced Griffin and the powers that be to do this to help his morning show flagging ratings. Good recap of the take down Chris Mathews gave Scarborough. I bet Scar hated the fact that Mathews had to appear on his show.

Mika's on camera presence was absolutely nauseating. She clearly and intentionally amped it up from her morning schtick. A desperate and obvious attempt to up her on camera sex kitten pose and outfit. While seated on a high chair smack in the middle of all the boring old white guys, ...she wore her brightest whitest tight sleeveless sheath dress, with a hot pink scarf draped over her with one end of it strategically dragging all the way to the floor aside of her leg to draw the eye to the leg. And those legs were in the standard camera ready, ... angled and "squashed" calf pose, barelegged, shiny and tan. Little Mika has been doing her homework. She's been studying what those Fox Bots Ettes do every day on that Fox couch - especially mimicking the tight dress, posed leg master herself - one Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

In the morning Mika knows she has to have some attempt at being cerebral and knowledgeable (I said attempt), but at night, ...well, well, ....its all about being TV eye candy. What a relief for her. 

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 3

Mika & Joe are back on set today. Joe was mad at Mika for calling him during the last 2 minutes of the Super Bowl. Joe said the Seahawks should have run the ball with Marshawn Lynch. Mika said she watched the game. The panel discussed the commercials. Mika was upset with all the pro dad commercials & the insurance one where the boy died.

The panel discussed the latest iowa polls with Halperin. Walker is ahead. Joe bragged that Christie called him in 2012 before he made his final decision not to run & told Joe that he couldn't win any of the first 4 states in the primary. Joe was shocked that Bush is doing so poorly.

Joe is happy about the success of American Sniper. He blasted Hollywood Liberals for making anti Iraq war movies that no one wants to see. Mika said she liked the movie. Mika said she walked out of the movie wedding crashers.

Oakville, did he really invoke the tired trope, "Hollywood liberal" ?

Yes. He said Hollywood Liberals hate American Sniper because it isn't one sided showing America soldiers as evil beasts.

Smirky Kristol was there trying to goad Mika into defending Hollywood Liberals but she liked the movie so it didn't work

Bradley Cooper was on Fresh Air with Terry Gross today and they addressed this issue of  some people saying that the movie should have made a point of saying the war was wrong. 

Bradley said he was just trying to make a movie about a guy who went to war and the effect it had on him and his family.  It took a lot for he & the writer to sell it to Warner Bros, as war movies haven't exactly been money factories lately.  

He didn't want politics to be a part of the movie, that it was to be a message about the vets.   A clip of an interview with Chris Kyle was played, in which he said every member of the military who goes to war writes a check to the country in the value of his life. He was fortunate (at that time) that he didn't have his cashed in the full amount. Remember that stress and fear and seeing your fellow soldiers killed can make you do and say things that you may regret, but that you have to live with.  And let's hold the people who make the decisions to send these men and women to war responsible. 

It was a very interesting and enlightening interview.   

Thanks, Oakville...that was a good article, I agree with pretty much all of it.  I know we've all said this, but...remember when they'd have guest hosts like Savannah Guthrie or Norah O'Donnell with Willie?  It was awesome then!  Now they're phoning it in with Cackles...ugh.  Mike Barnicle couldn't be more boring, Donnie Deutsch couldn't be more irrelevant...  I turn it on and and I just see that, not the sorta-fun MJ it used to be.  And because it's not fun in any way really, I can't even bear to deal with Joe's stupid monologues, because...there's not much else.  Maybe there will be some good guests with the primaries on the horizon...maybe.

I still watch this show despite being completely annoyed by most of what Joe has to say, but I need to give him credit today for calling the vaccine question [paraphrasing] "not a left/right issue but a smart/stupid issue." He seemed genuinely appalled at Rand Paul's interview with CNBC and with Christie's views as well.

• Love 1