Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

Nextiteration, I'm sure the MSNBC brass forced Joe to have Sharpton on to stem Joe's racist hemorrhage. I really hate it when Joe says something like "Al and I agree on 99.9 percent of everything" as if that makes it okay to spew racist remarks.

I also thought Donnie and the rest were insane to compliment the NYC protestors. WTF? As you said no one complimented the Furgeson protestors but the NYC protestors looked (at least to me) like there were a lot of white, well dressed people. As I recall Joe was outraged that protestors shut down the exit/entrance ramps in DC earlier this week because workers were going to lose their jobs but today they seemed pleased that NY's Westside Highway was shutdown so "peacefully". It's as if they feel New York protestors are in the cool clique.

• Love 8

Is he trolling us?  Was he scolded?  Was he embarrassed from all the across-the-spectrum media blowback at him? Did he apologizes for his ranting and bluster?

He has to account for the inconsistent about-face, right?

No apology and no acknowledgment that he's getting torn up by media watchers.

It minimizes the deaths of those victims because they weren't "perfect" victims (like Rosa Parks) and loudly and proudly proclaim that the victims got what they deserved.

This perfect victim stuff needs to stop, whether it's in racially tinged situations like these or in the rape culture.  Can't be said enough.  Speaking of rape culture, Mika's precious daughter is at a particularly rapey school.  I noticed that yesterday.

Nextiteration, I'm sure the MSNBC brass forced Joe to have Sharpton on to stem Joe's racist hemorrhage. I really hate it when Joe says something like "Al and I agree on 99.9 percent of everything" as if that makes it okay to spew racist remarks.

I also thought Donnie and the rest were insane to compliment the NYC protestors. WTF? As you said no one complimented the Furgeson protestors but the NYC protestors looked (at least to me) like there were a lot of white, well dressed people. As I recall Joe was outraged that protestors shut down the exit/entrance ramps in DC earlier this week because workers were going to lose their jobs but today they seemed pleased that NY's Westside Highway was shutdown so "peacefully". It's as if they feel New York protestors are in the cool clique.

Thanks!  The hypocrisy exhibited today was stomach turning, that's for sure.

I think Al Sharpton should be on Morning Joe more often. Joe was well behaved today. It's telling that Joe only said that he disagreed with Al & Eugene over the Michael Brown killing, without getting into specifics. Joe aid on numerous occasions that he agreed with Al & Eugene Robinson 95% of the time. Really Joe?

I think that it's possible hat this is a ratings driven stunt by Joe. The daily rants only started last month or so.

I call it the "new" racism, which someone so eloquently spoke about in response to NYT's columnist, Charles Blow's op-ed piece this morning.  It's not always malicious and is often quite benign, which can be just as damaging, if not more so.  It's that "new" racism that attempts to minimize and pretend that racism either no longer exists or that it has gone safely underground.  There are no snarling governors standing in the schoolhouse door; no stereotypical overweight Southern sheriffs siccing dogs and unleashing fire hoses on school children; or White Citizens Councils threatening to shutter all public schools rather than comply with a Supreme Court edict.  Instead, it's taken on the form of demonizing Black men--including the President of the United States and his Attorney General--as "thugs."  The "new" racism tolerates out-of-control and militarized policing of predominantly minority communities, including stop-and-frisk procedures.  It assigns blame to the victims of profiling (including the way they are dressed) instead of the perpetrators.  It minimizes the deaths of those victims because they weren't "perfect" victims (like Rosa Parks) and loudly and proudly proclaim that the victims got what they deserved.

The "new" racism ignorantly tells Black people they need to "get over slavery" as if Jim Crow and its modern version (voter suppression, etc.) don't exist.  I won't even touch on the tea party rant, "We want our country back!"  Back from whom or what, I often ask, only to receive red-faced silence in return.  People like Joe trip all over themselves and contradict themselves constantly.  They will point to an accomplished man like President Obama as proof that racism no longer exist.  Yet, in the next breath, they will insidiously demean and minimize his educational and professional accomplishments because it upsets the apple cart of their own perceived superiority.  No president has ever been asked to "prove" that he was actually born here or that his college grades are real.  And, yet this president was.

Powerful post MulletorHater (all of it, even tho I snipped for length). Charles Blow has done some magnificent writing in the last few months. I think it drives pinheads like Joe absolutely crazy that there are more intelligent, more thoughtful, more effective, more accomplished African American men than him, like President Obama and Charles Blow and many others, and Joe gets desperate to show his (self) perceived superiority.

• Love 5

The sing-song session was just terrible. It reminded me what a complete poseur Joe is. Today he is a pretend rock star, next week he will again be a pretend political insider, and in the summers he is a pretend trust-fund preppy on Martha's Vineyard.

He has zero self-awareness.

• Love 8

I was amused by Joe's band. Who are they? Why didn't Joe get Mika to play the tambourine or another instrument? Mika said Joe has written several songs so perhaps this will be a new weekly addition to the show?

Mika ran off the set this morning. She was shocked about "furry" conventions. Joe said his young son started watching Raider of the Lost Ark. Mika didn't  know anything about the movie. Joe wants MSNC to cover the Chris Christie exoneration on Bridgegate. The panel covered the UVA- Rolling Stone scandal. Heileman said Hillary is still very popular.

• Love 1

Can anyone tell me why the Ebola "Scandal" (other wise known as the Republicans and the Press stating repeatedly that President Obama's mishandled the situation) is no longer a crisis one month after the mid-terms? Did they cure everyone in West Africa and ban American health care workers/ citizens from returning the the U.S. from West Africa? Is Chris Christie greeting all flights at the Newark airport and secretly imprisoning people so he can protect NJ residents from this plague?

I guess Dr. Nancy was interviewed by Matt Lauer last week where she apologized for "scaring" the public...once again not owning any personal responsibility just sorry to have frightened stupid people. Even though there appears to be no medical reason to be quarantined only to monitor her temp she went into a voluntary quarantine and broke her promise to her bosses and the public. She's still dead to me.

I'm just so curious why the media has dropped this story and Joe has moved on to other "scandals". OMG Joe and Mika tried to defend Bill Cosby this morning as a counterpoint to the lousy reporting by Rolling Stone on the UVA rape epidemic. They decry "still no charges!"...ummm...statue of limitations has run out and yet they talk about one of the women trying to extort money from Cosby recently. You know, according to Joe it's a "he said, she said" situation and yet these blowhards wonder why women don't report sexual assault. Look, if even 20 percent of the allegations are true that's still sexual assault.

• Love 8

Joe wants MSNC to cover the Chris Christie exoneration on Bridgegate.

MSNBC has covered the Christie report. They're just not saying what phony baloney Joe wants them to say which is that Christie has NOT been exonerated. The investigation by the NJ congress couldn't make a finding of either guilt or innocence, because the main players in the scandal refused to testify before the committee. It's true they didn't find evidence against Christie but that's because they couldn't talk to the people who knew what was actually going on in the bridge shutdown.

• Love 5

They're just not saying what phony baloney Joe wants them to say which is that Christie has NOT been exonerated.

Pffft. Computer won't let me edit my post.  It should read "They're just not saying what phony baloney Joe wants them to say because Christie has NOT been exonerated."

MSNBC has covered the Christie report. They're just not saying what phony baloney Joe wants them to say which is that Christie has NOT been exonerated. The investigation by the NJ congress couldn't make a finding of either guilt or innocence, because the main players in the scandal refused to testify before the committee.

Part of that is because there is still a FEDERAL investigation still going on and the rumor is that indictments will be handed down then.

Joe - there is no evidence!!! That has never stopped you before.

• Love 2
Joe wants MSNC to cover the Chris Christie exoneration on Bridgegate.

Hey Joe: Steve Kornacki did about 30 minutes on it Saturday morning. Rachel covered it Friday night, as did Chris Hayes. 

They just didn't say what you wanted to hear. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 3

I wasn't listening too closely today, but I feel like he made a snarky reference to Steve, Chris and Rachel waiting breathlessly for the next six weeks for indictments to come down.  He always refers to them in a smug better than them way. 

Edited by NextIteration

If I downed a shot every time Joe said "As I've said from the very beginning..." I'd be too drunk to get out of bed in the morning. Wouldn't put it past Joe if he sat in his bedroom at night and said aloud every possible angle of a news story via cell phone to Mika just so he can feel justified when he boasts about being a visionary truth-cannon.

• Love 3

Cackles is very upset about releasing the CIA report.

Joe said he wished Charles Barkley was playing in the NBA so he could wear "looting is bad T shirts" during warmups.

Governor Dean supports drones. 

It's battle of the sweaters today. Dean's beige v neck vs Joe's navy blue sweater. Joe likes Dean's sweater.

Joe is taunting Dean.

• Love 1

I just caught a couple of minutes but was Joe going on (and on and on and on) about how he approved of Lebron wearing the 'I Can't Breathe' t-shirt? And didn't he go on a rant just a week ago about how horrifying it was for the football players to come out on the field with their hands up? The guy is such a hypocrite. Or an imbecile. Or an idiot. Or all of the above.

• Love 5

I haven't watched The View but does Cackles keep her mouth shut most of the time on The View? I swear she was making up for lost airtime this morning as she cut everyone off and talked over everyone trying to get their point across. Ha, she even cut Joe off. She raised some totally outrageous points which Howard Dean tried to counter but then ended the segment by saying that Howard said she was right so no need to discuss it any further.

Joe says he's totally onboard with LeBrone wearing the "I can't breath" T-shirts but NOT with the hands up in the air "Don't shoot" gesture. He then added an odd caveat that it should be okay for a player to wear "Abortion is murder" and that liberals should take heed. I don't think he's really onboard with athletes making any political statements.

I really don't like the guys from Politico.

• Love 2

This show, and perhaps most media professionals I suppose, frustrate the hell out of me.  Nobody is observing this properly.

Joe condemns the Rams players for doing exactly the same thing Lebron did.  Joe praises Lebron for supporting protests against the lack of a trial, is literally spitting mad at Rams players for supporting protests against the lack of a trial.

Joe, Cackles and that idiot Barnicle sit around solemnly praising the protests.  I mean... WHAT?  Praising the protests?  THEY ARE PROTESTS you fucking idiots.  PROTESTS!  Not parties.  Not parades.  They are protesting ANOTHER death of a black man at the hands of law enforcement that will not be adjudicated.  THAT is the point of this.

But no, they are observing the wrong thing incorrectly, shifting the narrative and avoiding what's important and difficult.  They get to grade the protest, and that grade somehow lends either credence to the dead black man (he didn't deserve it) or passes judgment on the dead black man (he was a thug, he had it coming.)   So the media's reaction to the nature of the protest defines the narrative re: systematic, lethal racism within our nation's law enforcement structures?

Did Joe just blame Democrats in 2002 for supporting waterboarding, talking over a Senator and fucking inventing a lie???  Why am I watching this???

• Love 6

I haven't watched The View but does Cackles keep her mouth shut most of the time on The View? I swear she was making up for lost airtime this morning as she cut everyone off and talked over everyone trying to get their point across. Ha, she even cut Joe off. She raised some totally outrageous points which Howard Dean tried to counter but then ended the segment by saying that Howard said she was right so no need to discuss it any further.

She greatly moderates the presentation of her opinions on The Spew.  It will be interesting to see if the release of the torture report will come up in Hot Topics (I'm pretty sure it will because it's an important topic to RosieO) how Nicolle addresses it.  Mika's not there, so I'm not surprised that Nicolle was more active this morning. I'm not a Nicolle hater though - I can appreciate other points of view when they aren't the same as mine, but golly gee, she was pretty adamant and vehement defending her previous employer this morning.  I also think there is a big chunk of Nicolle that is pretty center politically, she seems much more moderate on social issues.

Shok will disagree with me, which is okay, I think we have an understanding. ;)

Joe's ridiculous reach about sports icons wearing t-shirts about abortion being murder was so cynical and nasty, it really doesn't deserve attention.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

Joe's ridiculous reach about sports icons wearing t-shirts about abortion being murder was so cynical and nasty, it really doesn't deserve attention.

Well, it just didn't make sense. He contradicted himself fifty times during that whole segment. According to Joe, it's okay for LeBron to wear the "I Can't Breathe" t-shirt, because there was video of Eric Garner's death and "everyone agrees" that it was an unjustified killing. But it's NOT okay for the Rams to come out with their hands up, because "people disagree" about the circumstances of Michael Brown's death (even though, as Eugene Robinson tried to point out, the "hands up don't shoot" meme applies to more than the Brown case and has to do with the way African American males are cautioned to keep their hands up in ALL interactions with police, but whatever). And then, in direct contradiction to this "logic," Joe THEN says that it should be okay for athletes to wear "Abortion is Murder" t-shirts because Free Speech.

In other words, in Joe's eyes, athletes should be able to publicly proclaim their views and opinions, provided those views & opinions align with his.

I hate him.

Also, did I SERIOUSLY hear correctly today when he equated liberal outrage over media handling of Michael Brown's death with conservative outrage over media handling Chris Christie's Bridgegate "exoneration"? Because an unjustified death & political corruption = EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

• Love 7

@Eliot - those critiques against liberals are aimed directly at Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow and Steve Kournacki, he always says "in the media" and once in awhile has the balls to say "in the evenings even on this network".  It's Phil Griffin's version of fair and balanced I guess?

eta: NIcolle was pretty moderate on The Spew.  She tried the "it doesn't matter anymore" and "it was only 3 people" lines but they didn't really get any traction.  By all I'm seeing at this point, torture did not give us intel on Bin Laden or help with anything else.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 1

Cackles is very upset about releasing the CIA report.

Of course, she is!  I wonder how upset she is that the man whose campaign she helped to run, Senator McCain, gave a brilliant speech today on the Senate floor supporting the CIA report.  After all, he is the only person there who was tortured himself.  For Cackles and the other defenders, could you all name one instance where these "techniques" led to the intelligence that captured Osama bin Laden or other terrorists?

Shouldn't Cackles, Cheney, et al. be more upset that we have a federal agency that operates under the cloak of secrecy (with a large budget), truly believes it is above the law, doesn't have to answer to anyone and can do whatever the fuck they want?  And, mind you, these are the same people who shrieked and screamed about the IRS "scandal" and the specter of "rogue" IRS agents "targeting" conservative and tea party groups.  Please proceed, Cackles.

As for Dick Cheney's preemptive strike against the report, he is proof positive that evil walks this earth in all forms.

Edited by MulletorHater
  • Love 6

eta: NIcolle was pretty moderate on The Spew.  She tried the "it doesn't matter anymore" and "it was only 3 people" lines but they didn't really get any traction.  By all I'm seeing at this point, torture did not give us intel on Bin Laden or help with anything else.

It did not give us actionable intel, although Joe claims his "secret sources" tell him otherwise.

• Love 1

Of course, she is!  I wonder how upset she is that the man whose campaign she helped to run, Senator McCain, gave a brilliant speech today on the Senate floor supporting the CIA report.  After all, he is the only person there who was tortured himself.  For Cackles and the other defenders, could you all name one instance where these "techniques" led to the intelligence that captured Osama bin Laden or other terrorists?

This was all I could think about while I was listening to McCain on the floor.  Nicolle should be ashamed of her rant this morning.  Yes, media watchers made note of it.

• Love 2

In other words, in Joe's eyes, athletes should be able to publicly proclaim their views and opinions, provided those views & opinions align with his

Agreed!. Joe is ridiculous to take that position. I believe there were several witnesses that said testified that Brown had his hands up.

Joe pays lip service that  there are two justice systems in the USA. In the Brown case, the prosecutor went out of his way to help the police officer.

• Love 1

I cannot WAIT for his response to the Senate Torture Report tomorrow. The very things he has been touting as "proof torture works" have been emphatically refuted.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 4

I don't know who Joe's sources are in the CIA?  Perhaps Stan Smith from "Family Guy?"  I don't know.

You saw how Joe will deal with the topic of torture this morning.  "The Dems wanted it too."  Take that talking point to the bank.  Slam a cup of coffee every time you hear it.  DRINK!

Edited by Landsnark

Laughs @shok probably.  They are allowing a pretty good whitewash of the torture reports though, I'm cringing every time I hear enhanced interrogation it makes me wanna hurl.  I pray that Joy Behar is live and not some taped shit from weeks ago - we'll know easily by what they talk about.

eta: @Landsnark - he had minions do it for him in his absence.  I guess Pelosi and Rockefeller will take the fall in the predicted finger pointing contest.

Edited by NextIteration

The way to know Joe Scarborough is filled to the brim with shit on his reaction to the torture report is to merely point to his numerous attacks on Nancy Pelosi for her criticism of torture in the intervening 10+ years.

My Senate representative Tim Scott just said that "the vast majority of Americans want Obamacare repealed."  That's real news.

Then even dingbat Mika heard Tim Scott say "I'm saying torture is wrong.  But given the time and place and context... blah blah" and she looked at him smugly and said "so it's wrong until it's not wrong?"  Then he puked an embarrassing word salad until she interrupted him and threw it to commercial.

That idiot is a Senator.

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 4
My Senate representative Tim Scott just said that "the vast majority of Americans want Obamacare repealed."

The way that Scott gets away with that is because the majority of Americans want Obamacare as it currently stands, changed or "repealed" so that it covers more, and/or to be a single payor system.  They do not want it repealed. 

I am disgusted by what was done to detainees, but for Congress to act like they had no clue this was going on is complete and utter bullshit, and that goes for both sides of the aisle.   And in the days after September 11, people were completely freaking out, so I'm sure if they were told "if we do xyz we think we can get valuable intel and maybe stop another attack", member of the committees in both houses probably okayed any and everything.

Some of the stuff in the report I can't even believe anyone has the imagination to think up shit like that. 

Edited by teddysmom

I cannot WAIT for his response to the Senate Torture Report tomorrow. The very things he has been touting as "proof torture works" have been emphatically refuted.

But, Benghazi....!  Clinton, er, the Democrats wanted it toooooo!

I highly suspect that the CIA was blamed for dropping the ball on the previous intelligence that indicated that bin Laden was determined to attack America.  Yet, oddly, a few years later, then-CIA Director Tenet was awarded the Medal of Freedom by President Bush.  Go figure!  I suspect that in order not to be held responsible if something went wrong again, they concocted this program, with the consent of several higher-ups in the administration.  Rachel Maddow did a masterful job on her show last night in connecting the dots in explaining how opposed the CIA was to torture techniques for years because it went so horribly wrong.  Of course, after September 11, 2001, everything changed. 

I am disgusted by what was done to detainees, but for Congress to act like they had no clue this was going on is complete and utter bullshit, and that goes for both sides of the aisle.   And in the days after September 11, people were completely freaking out, so I'm sure if they were told "if we do xyz we think we can get valuable intel and maybe stop another attack", member of the committees in both houses probably okayed any and everything.

Some of the stuff in the report I can't even believe anyone has the imagination to think up shit like that. 

I can definitely believe that people would have the imagination to think up shit like that.  Especially when there are behavioral scientists on your payroll who have no experience with counter-intelligence, but who can come up with ways to torture individuals through sensory deprivation and other methods.  After all, who would have believed that a Dr. Josef Mengele could have done the things he did with his "medical experiments?"

Many of us said years ago that the "interrogations" at Abu Ghraib didn't happen in a vacuum.  It was outrageous that a handful of lower level people were blamed and punished, while the higher-ups who condoned and ordered it went on to write books and make appearances on Sunday morning talk shows to spew their self-serving venom.

• Love 6

My Senate representative Tim Scott just said that "the vast majority of Americans want Obamacare repealed." That's real news.

My bad parenting moment of the day: I heard this and shouted "You're a fucking liar!" at the TV well within earshot of my 10-year-old. We were walking out the door so I didn't hear the rest.

• Love 8

My bad parenting moment of the day: I heard this and shouted "You're a fucking liar!" at the TV well within earshot of my 10-year-old. We were walking out the door so I didn't hear the rest.

I did a similar thing with my elderly mother & I watching GWB on tv back about 10 years ago.

You guys crack me up. A few years ago in my car my son let lose with the "F" word. I pulled over and started the "lecture". He and my daughter started to laugh and said "Where do you think we learned that word...every morning when you are watching MJ!" I was red faced for sure. I blame Joe and Mika.

Edited to add that my daughter showed up at my house in 2008 at 5:00 AM so we could be first in line to vote for Barack Obama--so something stuck other than swear words.

Edited by stafford
  • Love 11

Every time I see certain people from the previous administration on TV, The house fills with the words "WAR CRIMINAL" & 'LIAR".

"DRAFT-DODGING COWARD!" is also another one of the list of epithets I yell at the TV when I see certain people on these Sunday morning talk shows.  I won't even touch on the Today Show, which has for months allowed Jenna Bush to present her father as a soulful artist and all around wonderful human being.  Touching.  Kind of gives you the warm and fuzzies, doesn't it?  I'm sure any child would see her father that way (unless he was abusive or otherwise deficient as a parent).  However, it infuriates me that that show (and others) have spent a considerable amount of time trying to rewrite President Bush's legacy.  When they aren't doing that, they are treating Lord Palpatine--a known liar and 5-time draft dodger--as if he's an elder statesman worthy of respect.

I'll say one thing about that crowd and the other torture apologists.  They sure do stay on message and haven't strayed from the reservation.  I also find it intriguing that these same shows don't hesitate to book Senator McCain every time he disagrees with the president about anything.  Yet, they don't seem overly eager to have him on their shows discussing his own experience with torture as a POW or explaining why he supports this report.  Meanwhile, I see the torture apologists shrilly pushing their agenda in an attempt to drown out any criticism of the Bush administration.  I guess I'll wait until Sunday to see if Meet the GOP (a/k/a Meet the Press) will interview Senator McCain or if I will see Joe, Cackles, etc. instead.

• Love 5
I guess I'll wait until Sunday to see if Meet the GOP (a/k/a Meet the Press) will interview Senator McCain or if I will see Joe, Cackles, etc. instead.

The Sith Lord (aka Penguin) is booked. More reason to dodge that show on Sunday. My blood pressure shoot through the roof within 2 seconds of him appearing on the TV.

• Love 3

Did I hear Bloviatin' Joe blame Nancy Pelosi for the torture scandal this morning along with Bush??!!?? I didn't watch the show but in flipping past it I'm sure I heard him say she and Bush were responsible. Idiot? Or biggest idiot?

Edited by shok
  • Love 1

Joe's defense of Cosby because uh... Rolling Stone got a source wrong means all media is liberal and nobody got raped, and it's wrong to accuse rapists.  THANKS JOE!  Cleared it up for me.

And then they wonder why these women didn't come forward at the time of the assault?  Gee, maybe because they were young aspiring actresses and he was one of the most powerful, well-respected names in show-business.  Would people like Joe have believed these women then?  

Comparing Cosby to the UVA/Rolling Stone case is apples and oranges.  The UVA case was one victim and one reporter who did not fact check thoroughly.  Cosby has been accused by over 20 women who all tell a similar story.  Now he wants us to think of him as the victim - unbelievable!  And Mika fell right into line by saying that "our own network" has had victims on whose stories didn't seem credible.  Joe was asking for the victims to provide "evidence".  What were they supposed to do Joe?  Grab the glass with the roofies in it on their way out and take it to the lab?

Again, it's no wonder victims don't come forward in these cases when they are immediately doubted by people like Joe and Mika.  

• Love 6

Did I hear Bloviatin' Joe blame Nancy Pelosi for the torture scandal this morning along with Bush??!!?? I didn't watch the show but in flipping past it I'm sure I heard him say she and Bush were responsible. Idiot? Or biggest idiot?

Well, they sure do have their talking points down pat!  Another variation of this theme is that this is all Senator Feinstein's fault, i.e., "She has done considerable damage to our national security by releasing this report."  These craven cowards will go to their graves claiming that the CIA's actions led to the capture of Osama bin Laden.  The hilarious thing is that Dick Cheney didn't even read the report before claiming it was "hooey" and didn't hesitate to throw President Bush under the bus, claiming "that guy knew..."  Thanks for clearing up any confusion, Lord Vader, as to who was actually running the White House at that time!

I'm actually surprised that Joe didn't announce that his "sources inside the CIA" told him that this strategy worked, "and here's why!"

• Love 4