Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, XOQueens said:

"Mika and Joe are engaged. Congrats! It's like a #MeToo worked out." Michelle Wolff at the WHCD. 

?

I'm going to have to find this on YouTube (I missed her whole set but now I have extra incentive to search it out), thanks for my first laugh out loud for the day xoqueens!

• Love 3

I'm going to skip trying to find out anything else about Michelle Wolf. She sounds typical of low talent comics today who use vulgarity as a replacement for humor.  I don't know her politics but she sounds as bad as Trump.  Her comment about Mika and Joe was out of line. Her lines about Sarah Huckabee's looks were also wrong, very wrong. Frankly I"m incensed and hope it gets addressed on MJ on Monday as well as some of the other MSNBC shows.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I'm going to have to find this on YouTube (I missed her whole set but now I have extra incentive to search it out), thanks for my first laugh out loud for the day xoqueens!

Here it is:

She had an HBO special last year and apparently an upcoming Netflix's show so she's on the rise.

She is either a political junkie or she's done the research.

The audience was laughing along with her and then some of the conservatives were butt hurt and had to defend some of the targets like Sanders and Conway.

She said at one point that the mainstream media created the monster (which is my the shot at MJ and Mika makes sense), which is absolutely spot on so that's why she wasn't pulling any punches.  Shouldn't be surprising that Kathy Griffin came to her defense, in case the conservatives try to do to Wolf what they did to Griffin.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, madfortv said:

I'm going to skip trying to find out anything else about Michelle Wolf. She sounds typical of low talent comics today who use vulgarity as a replacement for humor.  I don't know her politics but she sounds as bad as Trump.  Her comment about Mika and Joe was out of line. Her lines about Sarah Huckabee's looks were also wrong, very wrong. Frankly I"m incensed and hope it gets addressed on MJ on Monday as well as some of the other MSNBC shows.

Mika has tweeted that she does not support Wolff's attacks on Sarah Sander's looks. She has not commented yet, on her & Joe being joked about having a #Metoo working out. That is a stinging attack. I wonder if Mika & Joe had advance notice that they would be one Wolff's targets. Can you imagine Joe's head exploding at the table?

58 minutes ago, scrb said:

Here it is:

She had an HBO special last year and apparently an upcoming Netflix's show so she's on the rise.

She is either a political junkie or she's done the research.

The audience was laughing along with her and then some of the conservatives were butt hurt and had to defend some of the targets like Sanders and Conway.

She said at one point that the mainstream media created the monster (which is my the shot at MJ and Mika makes sense), which is absolutely spot on so that's why she wasn't pulling any punches.  Shouldn't be surprising that Kathy Griffin came to her defense, in case the conservatives try to do to Wolf what they did to Griffin.

Wolff is absolutely right that media created a monster with Trump. They are making money now by focusing all their coverage on bashing Trump due to his incompetence & vulgarity.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, oakville said:

Mika has tweeted that she does not support Wolff's attacks on Sarah Sander's looks. She has not commented yet, on her & Joe being joked about having a #Metoo working out. That is a stinging attack. I wonder if Mika & Joe had advance notice that they would be one Wolff's targets. Can you imagine Joe's head exploding at the table?

I didn't listen to every minute of it, so I don't know if I missed something scathing. But here's the transcript I've seen floating around of the SHS part and I'm not sure where the attacking of looks comes into play. Do I just not get it? I mean, it's also possible Mika didn't understand something. If Mika wants to drag the WHCD for attacking her relationship she should just be upfront about it and do it for that instead of trying to bend it into a teachable #knowyourvalue moment.

Db9OQqxX4AEgL4p.jpg

• Love 6

Ok, I watched it (thank you for posting scrb) and it seems the MJ comment got one of the biggest laughs (including mine).  I noticed the journos had very little sense of humor when the fire was thrown in their direction (really liked the you cover the same three things joke).  Monday should be interesting to see what they have to say but if they do my guess they will come out swinging on the SHS stuff.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

I didn't listen to every minute of it, so I don't know if I missed something scathing. But here's the transcript I've seen floating around of the SHS part and I'm not sure where the attacking of looks comes into play. Do I just not get it? I mean, it's also possible Mika didn't understand something. If Mika wants to drag the WHCD for attacking her relationship she should just be upfront about it and do it for that instead of trying to bend it into a teachable #knowyourvalue moment.

Db9OQqxX4AEgL4p.jpg

Mika & Joe are incredibly thin skinned. Joe was upset in January when SNL did a parody of him & Mika. IMHO, Wolff 's joke is more damaging because it implies that Mika did not initially consent to Joe's romantic overtures. 

15 minutes ago, oakville said:

Wolff 's joke is more damaging because it implies that Mika did not initially consent to Joe's romantic overtures. 

I guess I took it the opposite way Oakville as in the room laughed because everyone knew they were fooling around for months before they finally went public.  I don't think/believe Joe ever threatened her that she had to sleep with him to keep her job as in others that are coming forward in the Me Too movement.  I think Michelle just borrowed it to mock Mika and Joe.  To be honest, I'll be glad when the WHCD chat dies down and we can go back to stalking Avenatti on the various cable channels . . . :)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Chloesmom said:

To be honest, I'll be glad when the WHCD chat dies down and we can go back to stalking Avenatti on the various cable channels . . . :)

Yaaasss!

• Love 4

This segment was shown at least 3 times this morning and every time we all thought she said fat instead of facts.  I still don't like Michelle's style of humor or what she said about Joe and Mika, but am glad that she wasn't making fun of Sarah's weight. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I guess I took it the opposite way Oakville as in the room laughed because everyone knew they were fooling around for months before they finally went public. 

IIRC, from watching their interplay morph, they were fooling around for years. Now they want to hand wave that reality and call the shots as to how they are covered. Actually, what they would really, really like is to call the shots as to how they are perceived let alone covered. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Allow me to introduce a new concept to your life lived in a bubble: it's called "first you play and then you pay." 

They "came out" one year ago. It took that small amount of time to become a national joke. Reality is a bitch. Not looking forward to Mika's steely gaze and aggrieved tone of voice in the coming weeks. She will ride this horse until it's lathered. Boo Freakin' Hoo.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, suomi said:

IIRC, from watching their interplay morph, they were fooling around for years. Now they want to hand wave that reality and call the shots as to how they are covered. Actually, what they would really, really like is to call the shots as to how they are perceived let alone covered. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Allow me to introduce a new concept to your life lived in a bubble: it's called "first you play and then you pay." 

They "came out" one year ago. It took that small amount of time to become a national joke. Reality is a bitch. Not looking forward to Mika's steely gaze and aggrieved tone of voice in the coming weeks. She will ride this horse until it's lathered. Boo Freakin' Hoo.

I really wonder if they'll even show up. And if they show up, if they'll even address it. The whole of the internet (minus the Right) is calling out Mika for all of it -- for mis-interpreting the joke, for mis-representing the joke, for transferring her anger over the #MeToo joke to the SHS eyeliner kerfuffle, for being one of the main culprits in propping up Trump and then getting rich off the attention his presidency brings the media. Gah, it's going to be so cringey when/if alpha male Joe tries to defend the honour of his fiance [sic]. 

• Love 5

Hahaha, Morning Joke brings the comedy as Scarborough denounces the press for partaking in a routine "meant to humiliate the President."   Because YOU never do that, right?  You always rise above when an opportunity to question his intelligence arises.   You would never say he isn't smart enough to sit down with Robert Mueller.   And you always defer to Dr. Jackson when the matter of Trump's reported weight of 239 pounds is raised, don't you?   Because you and Mika are special.  

• Love 6

I missed the first 15 minutes (thank goodness I can count on them to replay them in the last hour) but based on what I have seen/heard, they haven't gained an ounce of self awareness over the weekend.  Talking about humiliating the president when he himself has elevated it to an art form and used his press secretary as a human shield while he got his adulation fix in Michigan.  Adorable.  And I guess the drinking game phrase that pays this morning is "Mika's right".

• Love 5

Old Joe is dancing for his life out there.  Mika must still be steaming as she's doing her paper grading thing again.  I am enjoying Confessore and Rothman as I think they are bringing up good points.  Has anyone brought up Wolff telling the journo's they own a large part of and have gotten wealthy over this mess?

• Love 5

Ok, I looked up Mr. Grynbaum and found this tweet at the top of his feed:

Love that SHS was so devastated by the shellacking she took from Wolff she still managed to find time to take a swing at a journo she was unhappy with while surrounded by journos expressing sympathy for what had just taken place.  Those WH folks all deserve each other and I am glad I cancelled my NYT subscription when I did.

• Love 5

I'm not watching, and I'm glad I'm not, lol. Instead, I read the replies under the Morning Joe tweet announcing their guest for today and people are still letting them have it. They're losing a lot of viewers and support over this.

Mika's starting to get trashed for her fake feminism too, which is where she absolutely did not want to go with her book and #KYV coming up again.

“Watching a wife and mother be humiliated on national television for her looks is deplorable,” whined Mika Brzezinski, via Twitter. “I have experienced insults about my appearance from the president. All women have a duty to unite when these attacks happen and the WHCA owes Sarah an apology.” (This is the sort of feminist criticism a person might level if their only experience with feminism was watching an ad for Dove soap with the sound turned off.)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/michelle-wolfs-whcd-honesty-is-what-america-needs-right-now?ref=home

• Love 5

Hee, I was just posting this article too!  I am watching the replay of what I missed this morning and it makes it even more spot on as at first they are wringing their hands and pounding the table about the journalists that were killed in Afghanistan a few hours ago (God bless and rest their souls) and I know in another few minutes the pity party starts for the now totally de-valued KYV brand.

eta:  wow, they really edited the whining out of the original segment . . . too late, we saw it.

Edited by Chloesmom
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

I guess I took it the opposite way Oakville as in the room laughed because everyone knew they were fooling around for months before they finally went public.  I don't think/believe Joe ever threatened her that she had to sleep with him to keep her job as in others that are coming forward in the Me Too movement.  I think Michelle just borrowed it to mock Mika and Joe.  To be honest, I'll be glad when the WHCD chat dies down and we can go back to stalking Avenatti on the various cable channels . . . :)

I agree that the affair was consensual. i would say that based on what I read, Joe was romantically interested in Mika from before they met at MSNBC.  In re reading Mika's first book, she always had a fear that her career as a journalist /TV presenter would end before she turned 40. She was fired from CBS. She tried to be a Connecticut Housewife & spend time with her kids. It didn't work out. She had to start over & do overnight news clips on MSNBC. Joe hiring her @150K per year was the first step in rebuilding her career. Joe's decision to give her part of his bonus was the second step in rebuilding her finances. I suspect Mika looks at Joe as the guy who "rescued" her reputation. She is now well paid & well known in the cable tv news business. I could see how someone would fall in love with a man or woman who rescued your career & made you a multi millionaire.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, oakville said:

I agree that the affair was consensual. i would say that based on what I read, Joe was romantically interested in Mika from before they met at MSNBC.  In re reading Mika's first book, she always had a fear that her career as a journalist /TV presenter would end before she turned 40. She was fired from CBS. She tried to be a Connecticut Housewife & spend time with her kids. It didn't work out. She had to start over & do overnight news clips on MSNBC. Joe hiring her @150K per year was the first step in rebuilding her career. Joe's decision to give her part of his bonus was the second step in rebuilding her finances. I suspect Mika looks at Joe as the guy who "rescued" her reputation. She is now well paid & well known in the cable tv news business. I could see how someone would fall in love with a man or woman who rescued your career & made you a multi millionaire.

I could also see how it would be difficult for a woman to ignore the sexual interests, directly expressed or latent, of a man who rescued your career and pours money into your account. Even if it was consensual the entire way through, it is a misuse/an abuse of the workplace power dynamic. 

• Love 9

Well known comics in this day are often mean instead of funny.  For once, I agree with Podhrestz.  The WHCD wasn't a roast but was treated like one. I didn't find most of what I've heard even remotely funny. 

MJ ran some of Trump's statements/video from the past. Trump has been bad mouthing people for years and making extremely nasty comments about them personally. With his awful past who is he to push back on the WHCD?

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

I could also see how it would be difficult for a woman to ignore the sexual interests, directly expressed or latent, of a man who rescued your career and pours money into your account. Even if it was consensual the entire way through, it is a misuse/an abuse of the workplace power dynamic. 

I agree that Joe used his power over her to get what he wanted from her. I think Joe always wanted to be part of the "cool kids" in the Acela corridor. Mika's family was very well known in Washington. I could see why Joe would be attracted to her family's status .I will also say that Joe was very attracted to Mika physically in 2007.

From Mika's perspective after her firing from CBS, she considered herself to be the least successful of the 3 Brzezinski children. Becoming a co host of a successful cable tv show has made her the most famous & wealthy of the 3 chidren.

• Love 5

I'm going to have to give this Joe/Mika/undue influence thing more thought as I am still just not feeling it but I appreciate the different viewpoints.  Hey, did they bring up Brokaw today (I decided cleaning the refrigerator was more interesting than watching the last half hour of the show)?

• Love 1

I can't put it on today to watch these two complain about someone speaking truth to power. I knew we'd be subjected to hand wringing over the WHCD when at the end of the presentation I saw the current President  (from Bloomberg, forget her name) rubbing Sarah Sanders back and whispering to her. Just because someone called her a liar to her face. 

I agree about the genesis of the Joe/Mika relationship. It must have been very difficult to avoid the pressure of someone giving you money of their own instead of from the company. Every time that's brought up I wonder what Joe's wife was thinking. Did she know it was the beginning of the end?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

I'm going to have to give this Joe/Mika/undue influence thing more thought as I am still just not feeling it but I appreciate the different viewpoints.  Hey, did they bring up Brokaw today (I decided cleaning the refrigerator was more interesting than watching the last half hour of the show)?

I haven't heard anything about Brokaw yet or a comment on Wolff making fun of them specifically. I am the 6 22 am part of the show.

• Love 1
On 4/29/2018 at 8:04 AM, oakville said:

I didn't see any clips of them when they were showing the audience.

She said on twitter yesterday she watched at home. 

Every fucking year we go thru this with WHCD. They hire a comedian who makes jokes and then they bitch. It's just that this year, Michelle pointed out the complicity of the press in getting Trump elected. Now, they can't come out and say they're pissed about that, so they start this faux outrage about an eyeliner joke. Between that and the "#metoo that worked out" joke, no wonder JoMika's collective panties are in a bunch. 

The comment about Aunt Lydia is about her being the person who lies and keeps everyone under control in her role in the authoritarian government in Handmaid's Tale.  Like Mika has even read that book.  She couldn't get thru the first chapter. 

As Michelle Wolf pointed out, that's what she was talking about, but the people bitching went straight to Sarah's looks, which Michelle didn't, so maybe THEY'RE the ones with the issues.

Twitter is having none of Mika's bullshit.  I knew what was coming this morning and didn't even bother. I saw the first few minutes with the sound down and fired up the dvr.

Again, why does WHCA do this every year?  Just have an awards dinner and stop with the passive aggressive, let's have a roast but if they make jokes about us or jokes we don't understand, then we'll bitch about how mean comedians are. 

Have these nitwits even SEEN a roast? Watch one of the Comedy Central roasts. That thing Saturday night was a walk in the park compared to those. 

Idiots. 

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Maire said:

I can't put it on today to watch these two complain about someone speaking truth to power. I knew we'd be subjected to hand wringing over the WHCD when at the end of the presentation I saw the current President  (from Bloomberg, forget her name) rubbing Sarah Sanders back and whispering to her. Just because someone called her a liar to her face. 

I agree about the genesis of the Joe/Mika relationship. It must have been very difficult to avoid the pressure of someone giving you money of their own instead of from the company. Every time that's brought up I wonder what Joe's wife was thinking. Did she know it was the beginning of the end?

Susan Scarborough has been on Morning Joe a few times. The clip I remember the most was when the show filmed from the Alabama football stadium & Mika rubbed her hands in little Joey's hair like she was his mom. Susan looked shocked that Mika would be so physically affectionate with her own son.

I also remember Mika being very knowledgeable about Joe's father's stories. It was weird. The affair began before the 2012 election campaign. They were traveling to all the primary states during 2012 campaign. They weren't at home very much during that campaign.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

As Michelle Wolf pointed out, that's what she was talking about, but the people bitching went straight to Sarah's looks, which Michelle didn't, so maybe THEY'RE the ones with the issues.

This.

I mean, her professional personality and career decisions are beyond the pale, but objectively, she just looks like a normal human. I quite like what Erin Gloria Ryan wrote about Mika for The Daily Beast -- that Mika's fake feminism was on full show when she cast SHS down as a "wife and mother" rather than holding her to the fire for her lies as the Press Secretary. Know your value, hey!

#MorningJoe has been trending all morning and it is just as bad as they deserve...

Edited by XOQueens
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

She said on twitter yesterday she watched at home. 

Every fucking year we go thru this with WHCD. They hire a comedian who makes jokes and then they bitch. It's just that this year, Michelle pointed out the complicity of the press in getting Trump elected. Now, they can't come out and say they're pissed about that, so they start this faux outrage about an eyeliner joke. Between that and the "#metoo that worked out" joke, no wonder JoMika's collective panties are in a bunch. 

The comment about Aunt Lydia is about her being the person who lies and keeps everyone under control in her role in the authoritarian government in Handmaid's Tale.  Like Mika has even read that book.  She couldn't get thru the first chapter. 

Twitter is having none of Mika's bullshit.  I knew what was coming this morning and didn't even bother. I saw the first few minutes with the sound down and fired up the dvr.

Again, why does WHCA do this every year?  Just have an awards dinner and stop with the passive aggressive, let's have a roast but if they make jokes about us or jokes we don't understand, then we'll bitch about how mean comedians are. 

Have these nitwits even SEEN a roast? Watch one of the Comedy Central roasts. That thing Saturday night was a walk in the park compared to those. 

Idiots. 

I haven't seen the Handmaid's Tale. Is it worth watching? It looks weird, but I recognize the actress from the West Wing. She played Josiah Bartlet's daughter Zoey. I think she was on Madman too.

Nick Confessore is right that inviting this comedian on the WHCD is putting the press responsible for whatever he/she says.

Joe was worried that these two day would be a political victory for Trump, since it would show how "out of touch" the White House journalists were with "Middle America"

Joe said its not Wolff's job to change her act.

Joe does not want comedians on the WHCD.

Joe was mad at the "How Poor is Donald Trump?". Joe said its wrong for journalists to take part in this.

David said many people don't trust journalists anymore.

David agrees with Mika that everyone should hunker down & do their job as journalists.

Joe & Mika have not discussed why Wolff was right that the media is making a fortune now writing books on the evil Trump administration.

Perhaps, if anyone would have done investigation on Trump's shady business deals pre 2015, the USA would have never voted for Trump.

Mika & Joe are making extra money since ratings have doubled since the Pre Trump era.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, oakville said:

I haven't seen the Handmaid's Tale. Is it worth watching? It looks weird, but I recognize the actress from the West Wing. She played Josiah Bartlet's daughter Zoey. I think she was on Madman too.

I haven't watched it. I hear it's fantastic, but it is grim, depressing and not an easy watch.  Yes Elizabeth Moss from West Wing and Mad Men is the star.

So Mika is outraged that "a wife and mother was humiliated ".  

Where is her concern about Susan Scarborough, a wife and mother she humiliated every fucking day on national tv? Giggling and flirting and God knows what with Joe. Running all over the country under the premise of town halls or book tours or whatever they call shacking up in 4 star hotels on MSNBC's dime. 

Fuck off. 

• Love 14

I think everything about Meeka is appearances.  She never describes Miss Huckabees references, education, qualifications, etc.  It is all about how she is a wife and mother and All About Your Value.  I didn't see today's show....but was Katy Tur on?  I'm surprised because she is everything that Meeka is not.  Just my opinion, of course.  

I also don't think it matters to The Gold Dust Twins about getting trashed on Twitter.  It raises their profiles, gets them a story (ies) on Mediate, .probably brings eyeballs to the show, brings in ratings.  I don't think they LIKE being vilified but at the end of the day, it is probably a win for them.  Anything to sell books, make money, be part of the in-crowd (as "journalists) and have a music career.  Yes, I almost snorted my tea at that one.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I think everything about Meeka is appearances.  She never describes Miss Huckabees references, education, qualifications, etc.  It is all about how she is a wife and mother and All About Your Value.  I didn't see today's show....but was Katy Tur on?  I'm surprised because she is everything that Meeka is not.  Just my opinion, of course.  

I also don't think it matters to The Gold Dust Twins about getting trashed on Twitter.  It raises their profiles, gets them a story (ies) on Mediate, .probably brings eyeballs to the show, brings in ratings.  I don't think they LIKE being vilified but at the end of the day, it is probably a win for them.  Anything to sell books, make money, be part of the in-crowd (as "journalists) and have a music career.  Yes, I almost snorted my tea at that one.

A good chunk of the Twitter vilification includes people saying they are done with watching Morning Joe now. It's really difficult to make folks, especially women, turn against a woman who was cruelly humiliated by Trump for her looks, but here we are. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, XOQueens said:

It's really difficult to make folks, especially women, turn against a woman who was cruelly humiliated by Trump for her looks, but here we are. 

Not really. What Trump said about Mika was ridiculous. Everyone knew she wasn't bleeding or whatever he said. But NO ONE knew she'd had a face lift. That's the kicker. 

"Are you okay??"  OMG!!"  The staff knew she'd had work done, it was obvious, and it was supposed to be a secret. But just like the affair, Trump used them and then fucked them over when they pissed him off.  Yeah the outrage was not that the guy who insults EVERYONE insulted her, but he spilled the beans on her face lift, or neck job or whatever she did.

She had to it laugh off.  Remember how faux giddy she was about it, you could tell she was embarrassed and trying to make light of it. 

Yes Trump is an ass, but Joe & Mika get what they deserve for what they did throughout the election campaign. 

Don't see Mika getting all outraged about how Hillary was treated, do we? The insults, the name calling. Where's the outrage?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

How many Chaps cotton cable knit sweaters does Podorhetz own?

Hee, he is completely out of control with those sweaters.  Can't wait to see what his summer wardrobe looks like.  I was bummed when I turned the channel back to MJ and realized he was on but it looks like maybe he's going to be the Monday Morning Movie guy?  I enjoyed him very much on Real Time this weekend, he will always be my favorite curmudgeon.

• Love 2