Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, oakville said:

More photos of America's media Power Couple. No photos with any of their children?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5071147/Joe-Scarborough-Mika-Brzezinksi-party-fake-TRUMP.html#comments

The articles probably focused more on the celebrities in attendance, but with the party being on a Thursday night, it would be difficult for Mika’s daughters (away at college) or Joe’s younger kids (school the next day) to attend. I wonder why they didn’t have the party on a weekend. 

Mika’s brother Mark was there. His wife posted a photo on Instagram of Mark with Mika and Joe. 

• Love 2
On 11/11/2017 at 8:32 PM, cased said:

The articles probably focused more on the celebrities in attendance, but with the party being on a Thursday night, it would be difficult for Mika’s daughters (away at college) or Joe’s younger kids (school the next day) to attend. I wonder why they didn’t have the party on a weekend. 

Mika’s brother Mark was there. His wife posted a photo on Instagram of Mark with Mika and Joe. 

I agree with you that it makes sense that the kids were not there on a school night. I find it odd that the engagement party was done on a weeknight. I suspect that Mika's kids are reluctant to accept Joe. Joe's kids from the second wife are younger.

30 minutes ago, oakville said:

I suspect that Mika's kids are reluctant to accept Joe. 

Perhaps. But none of us have any factual basis to assert something like this (unless one of you guys is Joe or Mika, lurking around.)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Perhaps. But none of us have any factual basis to assert something like this (unless one of you guys is Joe or Mika, lurking around.)

Mika's interview on CBS Sunday show indicated that there was some concerns on her family's part about selecting a wedding date. It's possible that her mom is reluctant to want to bless Mika's wedding while mourning for Dr Z.

Mika's teenage daughters have not posed for photos with the Power Couple.

There was a photo of Joe & Mika posing with his kids from his prior marriages.

21 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika's interview on CBS Sunday show indicated that there was some concerns on her family's part about selecting a wedding date. It's possible that her mom is reluctant to want to bless Mika's wedding while mourning for Dr Z.

Mika's teenage daughters have not posed for photos with the Power Couple.

There was a photo of Joe & Mika posing with his kids from his prior marriages.

I think that Mika’s daughters are at an awkward age to be dealing with this. They arn’t children anymore, but on the other hand they arn’t fully independent adults yet, either. Also, Joe’s bombastic personality seems very different from their father. 

I agree that you rarely see photos of Mika’s girls with Joe, but in one of the reviews of Joe’s music shows, it mentioned one of Mika’s Daughters and her boyfriend hanging out with Mika and Joe after the show.  So, while it is very likely that Mika’s daughters arn’t thrilled about the situation, my guess is that they have accepted it.

but, as Mumbles said, none of us really know. 

• Love 2

Monday Recap. Mika, Joe, Willie are off. Cackles & Heilemann are hosting.

The whole panel is mad at Trump. He was too friendly with Putin.

They are mad at Trump for complaining about Obama & Clinton being nice to Russia.

Barnicle is outraged that Trump is not behaving well.

Elise & Cackles are competing to be the most outraged former GOP aides at Trump.

Haas called Putin a murderer. He is mad that Trump sits next to him .What does he expect ? Does he want the USA to boycott these meetings?

I enjoyed the weather report.

7 hours ago, cased said:

I think that Mika’s daughters are at an awkward age to be dealing with this. They arn’t children anymore, but on the other hand they arn’t fully independent adults yet, either. Also, Joe’s bombastic personality seems very different from their father. 

I agree that you rarely see photos of Mika’s girls with Joe, but in one of the reviews of Joe’s music shows, it mentioned one of Mika’s Daughters and her boyfriend hanging out with Mika and Joe after the show.  So, while it is very likely that Mika’s daughters arn’t thrilled about the situation, my guess is that they have accepted it.

but, as Mumbles said, none of us really know. 

I read Mika's first book. She went into detail about Jim Hoffer and how he helped her with raising the kids etc. He grew up in a very poor family with a mentally ill mom. I think it is sad how the marriage ended. I would freak out if my wife left me for a Joe Scarborough type.

• Love 3

Gordon Chang came on the show to say that Trump had a good trip in Tokyo & Seoul. He is planning to sell weapons to Taiwan.

China is nervous about 3 aircraft carriers being near them. They can conduct round the clock military actions against North Korea.

He made Barnicle look foolish which I enjoyed.

• Love 2
On 11/11/2017 at 10:15 AM, oakville said:

More photos of America's media Power Couple. No photos with any of their children?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5071147/Joe-Scarborough-Mika-Brzezinksi-party-fake-TRUMP.html#comments

Thanks for posting this Oakville.  I had seen it earlier in the day as it was the top story but when I went back to retrieve it it had tumbled down to just a side square on the page.  I also got a chance to read the comments now . . . oooof (and speaking of oooof, I have rolled my eyes at some of Donny's ensembles when he is on the air but oy that jacket.  What was he going for, the Velveteen Bunny d-bag look?)!

On a more pleasant note, what a nice surprise to see Nichole and Heilemann hosting again today with a great array of guests especially Bob Costa in person.  For me, the conversations (both serious and humorous), exchanges of thoughts and viewpoints flow so much more naturally.  

• Love 6

Can MSNBC please lock the studio doors and not let Joe and Meek-a back in?  Intelligent questions, everyone gets a chance to speak, humor and hosts who are excellent and can think on their feet.  Dare we hope that Nicole/John H are "tryng out" for the permanent hosting spots?  I mean, it is hard to have a live morning show when your are spread so thin...book deals, tours, music making, writing op-eds.  You are so busy that you have to have your own studio to broadcast from so you can maintain all of the just-listed-duties.  Because being an insider-Nantucketer-preppy-cool person/people is hard work and difficult to maintain.  Just fyi---I used to be someone who could not stand Nicole Wallace.

And was that Jeffrey Sachs who just schooled Elise Jordan?  He was talking about the horrible-ness of the tax plan and you could see Elise straining at the bit, waiting to jump in.  She tried that old worn talking point of reducing corporate rates so that business could thrive and invest here.  He told her that corporations like Apple don't keep their money in this country and that they pay very low taxes. Then he said the tax plan is "theft"...loved it.  

Now I am sad because MJ just signed off and Nicole said that this would be the last time that you would see her/JohnH and the others all together.  She seemed to be relieved that she wouldn't have to host the show again.  Did she say that willingly?  Did someone have a gun to her head?  Even Mr. Kemper perked up when we turned on Show today and he saw Nicole and JohnH.  They even make Barnicle tolerable.  

• Love 8

For the love of God Mika, put your phone in your purse. What is it with women who have to have their phone in their hands all the time?  

10 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Now I am sad because MJ just signed off and Nicole said that this would be the last time that you would see her/JohnH and the others all together.  She seemed to be relieved that she wouldn't have to host the show again.  Did she say that willingly?  Did someone have a gun to her head?  Even Mr. Kemper perked up when we turned on Show today and he saw Nicole and JohnH.  They even make Barnicle tolerable.  

She probably doesn't enjoy having to get up so early to host this show, and then do her 4 pm show. That's a long day.  I know most here would love to see her (or practically anyone else) host MJ. She & Heileman are great together. 

• Love 9

The show is easier to watch without Mika & Joe.  

Nope, the show doesn't "sparkle" without Joe and Mika.  It's just a news  lite show without them.  Especially Joe being all bombastic over everything. Pre-Trump the other hosts would be ok, but Joe adds extra oomph to the show.

At their party--Donny's blazer, Oy Vey but the no-socks look?  Trying to hard.

• Love 1

The best part of the show was when Nicole read through a lengthy description of Trump's activities abroad and she kicked it to Haas.  He just didn't know where to begin.  He was speechless for a moment or two.
Worst part was Sachs' estimation of what would happen under the new tax plan.  That's some apocalyptic shit.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

The best part of the show was when Nicole read through a lengthy description of Trump's activities abroad and she kicked it to Haas.  He just didn't know where to begin.  He was speechless for a moment or two.
Worst part was Sachs' estimation of what would happen under the new tax plan.  That's some apocalyptic shit.

Landsnark, I had the remote in my hand to click to New Day as he was scaring me so bad but I couldn't look away.  If I'm not mistaken, I think I heard a male voice (Heilemann?) say something along the lines of Holy $hit before they cut the mics off at the break.  What a horrifying segment but I believe every syllable Dr. Sachs said.  Unfortunately.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chloesmom said:

On a more pleasant note, what a nice surprise to see Nichole and Heilemann hosting again today with a great array of guests especially Bob Costa in person.  For me, the conversations (both serious and humorous), exchanges of thoughts and viewpoints flow so much more naturally.  

I saw a few minutes this morning and was so happy to see Bob Costa in person. Is this the first time we've seen him in the studio?

I echo the sentiments about Nicole Wallace. She has come a long way since the Cackles days.

I'm on the fence about wanting new hosts for MJ. I really like days like today when good hosts fill in and the guests have something to say. But there is a part of me that enjoys the bombast (especially when directed toward Trump). But I take my MJ in small doses; for those who watch the entire show every day, we salute you!

• Love 7

Like a meek sheep I have just accepted that NW is "Cackles," but where did she get that nickname????

Several on the board would comment on her tendency to cackle on the show, and Oakville bestowed the nickname on her.

I'm on the fence about wanting new hosts for MJ. I really like days like today when good hosts fill in and the guests have something to say. But there is a part of me that enjoys the bombast (especially when directed toward Trump).

I agree. They're fine, they just need checks. Back when the show started, Joe had a goofball geniality that I found inoffensive. And they had such great guests. If they could return to that model, it could be a great show.

• Love 3

Several on the board would comment on her tendency to cackle on the show, and Oakville bestowed the nickname on her

Yeah, Oakville, sitting pretty up in Canada has tons of time to make up nicknames and eat hospital-supplied warm cookies because he doesn't have  to spend time worrying about whether our President is going to get us all blown up and bankrupted ....  (I kid--I kid because I love)

Joe had a goofball geniality

Is that the same as "stunning superficiality?"

• Love 6

My first exposure to Joe as a TV guy was back in the mid-2000s when MSNBC paired him with Ron Reagan Jr.  They were great together. Ron Reagan had a great natural instinct for politics that his father had, without the reactionary politics. Joe seemed a little in awe of him, because he was political royalty. It's too bad Ron doesn't do this work anymore but I think it's because he actually wants to live a purposeful life. He was big into yoga and meditation.

But point being, when Joe started out he was very much an aw-shucks Florida panhandle good old boy, just happy to be there. Now he actually buys his own bullshit about being "important people's favorite show" or however he describes it now. That's what makes the show hard to take at times. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

My first exposure to Joe as a TV guy was back in the mid-2000s when MSNBC paired him with Ron Reagan Jr.  They were great together. Ron Reagan had a great natural instinct for politics that his father had, without the reactionary politics. Joe seemed a little in awe of him, because he was political royalty. It's too bad Ron doesn't do this work anymore but I think it's because he actually wants to live a purposeful life. He was big into yoga and meditation.

But point being, when Joe started out he was very much an aw-shucks Florida panhandle good old boy, just happy to be there. Now he actually buys his own bullshit about being "important people's favorite show" or however he describes it now. That's what makes the show hard to take at times. 

My first exposure to Joe was on Bill Maher's show many years ago, and I actually came away from that appearance thinking he was surprisingly reasonable.

I would like Elise and Nicolle to do their own show together. I don't agree with either's politics, but they are smart and reasonable and they make me think.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Nope, the show doesn't "sparkle" without Joe and Mika.  It's just a news  lite show without them.  Especially Joe being all bombastic over everything. Pre-Trump the other hosts would be ok, but Joe adds extra oomph to the show.

At their party--Donny's blazer, Oy Vey but the no-socks look?  Trying to hard.

I find it annoying when Mika or Joe try to host the show from the Bunker. I find Joe " I am always right" to be amusing & Mika's attacks on anything Trump says or does to be hilarious. Some days though, I just like to watch the news.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Yeah, Oakville, sitting pretty up in Canada has tons of time to make up nicknames and eat hospital-supplied warm cookies because he doesn't have  to spend time worrying about whether our President is going to get us all blown up and bankrupted ....  (I kid--I kid because I love)

Is that the same as "stunning superficiality?"

LOL! I went to a  college campus open house on the weekend. They also had warm cookies!. Canadians love cookies.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Ron is occasionally on Hardball, or Last Word. He's as great as he always was. 

• Love 5

Ah, good to know about Ron. Don't really watch Hardball and must have missed him on Last Word.  He seems to have a great and satisfying life so I don't wish this on him, but if they had kept him and Joe a working team, this show would be completely different (and not called "Morning Joe.") He had a way of keeping Joe in check when they worked together, with a wry, light touch.  

• Love 5

First thing this morning everyone's outraged over Moore. He's awful and despicable but republicans will still vote for him. Just like trump. They threw him under the bus till they all voted for him because it was a "binary" choice.

Guess you have to be a Democrat,  like Anthony Weiner, before you get shown the door.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

It's like watching Captain Kangaroo without the Captain.   I mean, sure, Mr. Greenjeans is an okay guy but who wants to watch three hours of just him, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose and Dancing Bear?

• Love 2

Minority opinion for me....if Joe and Meek-a left, I would only hope the door doesn't hit them on the way out.  The main reason I watch is to come here and see what everyone snarks on.  There is SO much to snark on.  We could still poke fun at Nicole and Heileman...like him but he has a habit of seeming to bite his lower lip.  Like Bill Clinton?  Of course, I don't know how Nicole Wallace would be if there was a less crazy Republican in the White House; maybe back to her Democratic dislike.  Still would love to find out.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I must say this morning's love-fest of George H.W. Bush has not aged well in less than a day given the latest allegations. This show will never learn. They gush over human beings as if they were gods.

It's bad enough this show has 100% passed on reporting or commenting about the allegations of Bush being a serial molester.   But to go the opposite route and try to rehabilitate his image instead is craven.   

On 11/11/2017 at 11:15 AM, oakville said:

Maybe I am too much the cynic, but the first question that comes to mind is who the hell do they think they are that the world should give a shit about their engagement or that they deserve a star-studded party for breaking up their previous families?

The photos of the celebrity attendees could well be posted under a headline that reads: "Why the Democrats Can't Win Elections."

• Love 6
7 hours ago, stormy said:

First thing this morning everyone's outraged over Moore. He's awful and despicable but republicans will still vote for him. Just like trump. They threw him under the bus till they all voted for him because it was a "binary" choice.

Guess you have to be a Democrat,  like Anthony Weiner, before you get shown the door.

I found it very interesting when John Heilemann warned Democrats that sending down Democrat leaders to Alabama to support Jones would backfire. The Democrats have to send cash to the Alabama Democrats & stay low profile so they don't scare voters. Is the Democratic Party that toxic in Alabama that Jones has to hide his affiliation.

Heileman was worried about a Jon Ossof type of race where Democrats across the USA unite to try and defeat the GOP in a safe GOP seat.

Will he be forced to oppose Pelosi & Shumer in order to gain credibility?

Poor Jeffrey Sachs. He was freaking out over the GOP tax reform plan. He was mad that the stock market is up 20 % since Trump got elected. It is a reflection that the GOP plan will be good for companies & shareholders.

He is mad that the elite will benefit from tax cuts. It's weird because Joe is angry that his taxes as a Connecticut resident will increase due to the loss of the local & state income tax deductions.

3 hours ago, millennium said:

It's bad enough this show has 100% passed on reporting or commenting about the allegations of Bush being a serial molester.   But to go the opposite route and try to rehabilitate his image instead is craven.   

Maybe I am too much the cynic, but the first question that comes to mind is who the hell do they think they are that the world should give a shit about their engagement or that they deserve a star-studded party for breaking up their previous families?

The photos of the celebrity attendees could well be posted under a headline that reads: "Why the Democrats Can't Win Elections."

Mika & Joe host a cable show that is ranked in the top 100 in the USA. The impending marriage of two of America's media elite is worthy of a national celebration.

President Trump even offered to marry them at the White House!

It could have been a MSNBC TV special!

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I must say this morning's love-fest of George H.W. Bush has not aged well in less than a day given the latest allegations. This show will never learn. They gush over human beings as if they were gods.

It was interesting that Cackles Wallace did not apply her "believe the women" standard to the latest groping allegations by George H.W. Bush. Apparently a woman who was 16 alleged that H.W groped her at a photo opp in 2003.

Cackles once again proves that she is a hypocrite by refusing to go after her family friends.

It's easy to attack Trump & Palin because they are not as sophisticated as the Bush family, but she lacks any credibility by refusing to support Bill Clinton or George H.W. Bush's female accusers.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, oakville said:

Mika & Joe host a cable show that is ranked in the top 100 in the USA. The impending marriage of two of America's media elite is worthy of a national celebration.

President Trump even offered to marry them at the White House!

It could have been a MSNBC TV special!

The scary part is, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, oakville said:

I found it very interesting when John Heilemann warned Democrats that sending down Democrat leaders to Alabama to support Jones would backfire. The Democrats have to send cash to the Alabama Democrats & stay low profile so they don't scare voters. Is the Democratic Party that toxic in Alabama that Jones has to hide his affiliation.

Heilemann needn't worry.   Jones is actively trying to disassociate himself from Democratic leadership in the hopes of wooing Moore voters, and it doesn't seem to be sitting well with Schumer & Co.   There's no mad rush to get down there and help out.

• Love 2

Tuesday Recap. Mika & Joe are in the studio together. Willie showed up. Mika is wearing a dark V neck top.

Joe is excited about Wikileaks Collusion with the Russians. It will doom Trump.

Mika tried to introduce the panel, but Joe interrupted her & took an orange highlighter. He made dots on the paper & said the dots connects from A to B.

Willie said using the wiki leaks information was wrong because it may have come from Russians. It hurt Hillary's campaign.

The NY Times Reporter said it was Collusion. Unfortunately it's not illegal.

Joe started coughing on the set while mentioning collusion.

Joe said that Pence has no clue what was happening during the campaign.

Joe applauded his friends Dina Powell & Gary Cohn for leaving the room anytime Russia is discussed .

As friends of Mika & Joe they are immune from criticism.

Mika & Joe are calling Kristen Soltis Anderson, KSA!. They are trying to make her the next Kasie!.

KSA said Pence may want to run for President after Trump.

Mika is mad that Pence pretends to be clueless.

Mika is hyper ventilating that pence doesn't care about America! Never Change Mika!

• Love 3

Joe said that Hillary should be exempt from investigation since Trump was elected. It is Stalinesque to go after political opponents.

Joe has guaranteed that the special prosecutor won't find anything related to the Clinton foundation.

Joe is mad that Sessions is following Trump's recommendations.

• Love 2

The Axios/Vandehei piece isn't worth clicking on.  It has no more detail than what he said on the show.  And what he said on the show was more of false equivalence, both sides do it, a pox on both of their houses.  He started with Gingrich back in '96, then he conveniently omitted when the Republicans stole the 2000 election, called the majority of voters who voted for Gore "Sore Losermen," then repeated the mantra for us to move on and get over it.  They didn't care about the intent of the voter.  All they cared about was their side won.   "Libtards are evul, they kill teh babeez, amirite?"

• Love 6

Joe is defending Sessions & Rosenstein . He's on a rant against tyrants!. Mika is beaming at Joe! Joe's will get some extra cuddles now.

Joe is on a rant against Moore. He was banned against going to shopping malls because he was chasing teenagers girls.

Joe is mad at Moore said that becoming gay makes you grow horns.

Joe is mad at the GOP for not releasing the oppo research on Moore during the primary. How did this guy get elected statewide for so many years.

Moore was signing teenage girls year books.

• Love 3

The Axios/Vandehei piece isn't worth clicking on.  It has no more detail than what he said on the show.  And what he said on the show was more of false equivalence, both sides do it, a pox on both of their houses.  He started with Gingrich back in '96, then he conveniently omitted when the Republicans stole the 2000 election, called the majority of voters who voted for Gore "Sore Losermen," then repeated the mantra for us to move on and get over it.  They didn't care about the intent of the voter.  All they cared about was their side won.   "Libtards are evul, they kill teh babeez, amirite?"

I'm still trying to figure out what poll Joe keeps quoting which said that 40% of Democrats thought President Bush was behind 9/11. Don't recall thinking that myself, although I did think that the Bush Administration ignored all the warnings the Clinton Admin. gave them and basically dismissed them, possibly leaving open opportunities for figuring out what was going on. But, that's not the same as saying they were behind the attack, no?

By the way, Tom Brokaw is beyond annoying. He just said that Biden's book was the most honest one of the recent political books put out and I immediately wondered whose book he thought was less than honest.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I'm still trying to figure out what poll Joe keeps quoting which said that 40% of Democrats thought President Bush was behind 9/11. Don't recall thinking that myself, although I did think that the Bush Administration ignored all the warnings the Clinton Admin. gave them and basically dismissed them, possibly leaving open opportunities for figuring out what was going on. But, that's not the same as saying they were behind the attack, no?

By the way, Tom Brokaw is beyond annoying. He just said that Biden's book was the most honest one of the recent political books put out and I immediately wondered whose book he thought was less than honest.

It is sad that NBC Won't let Brokaw retire. Joe Biden got star treatment on the Today show yesterday.  Will he be a guest on Morning Joe?

Brokaw seems to be in awe of old time Washington. He used to brag about having  a special relationship with Nancy Reagan.

Joe was bloviating as usual, then he asked Michael Steele a question and he proceeded to answer it, then Joe interrupted him and started bloviating again.  When he finished, Willie then took up the mantle and resumed talking to Steele.  Then Mika started chirping about something.  I couldn't take it anymore and changed the channel.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Nidratime said:

'm still trying to figure out what poll Joe keeps quoting which said that 40% of Democrats thought President Bush was behind 9/11

Every single time he says that, I think, "He's an idiot," and dismiss it as probably a distorted memory of a distorted retelling of flawed reporting.  He's just repeated it so much now it's truth to him.

It's crazy to me that now I actually respect and admire Nicole Wallace and Steve Schmidt.  They are two decent people who want a decent world for us all to live in.
However, Schmidt's eloquent outrage over Trump, as well-wrought as it is, is a little too much.  He's remarkably ornate but precise and uses the perfect terms and phrases off the cuff.  But, it's too much done too frequently.  He and she (and Barnicle and Mika and Joe) can be too hysterical.

Edited by Landsnark
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Joe was bloviating as usual, then he asked Michael Steele a question and he proceeded to answer it, then Joe interrupted him and started bloviating again.  When he finished, Willie then took up the mantle and resumed talking to Steele.  Then Mika started chirping about something.  I couldn't take it anymore and changed the channel.  

I was temporarily bummed I didn't watch the show today after hearing Michael Steele was on but after your recap Ohwell I guess it's just as well . . . I bailed in the first 60 seconds between the "collusion" cough and the connect the dots nonsense . . . off to New Day I went (and was rewarded with watching Cuomo tie Lewandowski into a pretzel to the point that it seemed he forgot he was there to hawk a book he will be writing . . . he!).

1 hour ago, oakville said:

It is sad that NBC Won't let Brokaw retire. Joe Biden got star treatment on the Today show yesterday.  Will he be a guest on Morning Joe?

Brokaw seems to be in awe of old time Washington. He used to brag about having  a special relationship with Nancy Reagan.

Oakville, I'm not sure who isn't letting go of who.  Brokaw seems to enjoy chatting away about things that to be honest I don't find informative or useful anymore as I do when they have on say Bob Schieffer.   He always brings fresh and relevant to the conversation even when he references things that happened in the past. 

• Love 4