Type keyword(s) to search

Morning Joe: All Episodes Talk

Message added by dubbel zout

Discussion of the hosts regarding a specific episode is fine here, but generalized discussion of the hosts go in the The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Landsnark said:

There are elections in Virginia that are pivoting around white supremacy, called "heritage" these days, so racism on TV and in print matters.  It accumulates.  

Gah. Many places/events here in Utah include/promote the word "heritage" and hackles rise if someone (me) mentions that it implies a longing for the good old days of polygamy. Terminology matters, and it often identifies the willing accomplices. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sleekandchic said:

This made me LOL, @WhineandCheezEWHINWH

I could tell you stories!

Mika and her Know Your Own Value shtick have always been laughable to me...in the vein of the Empress having no clothes.  IMO, she's not good at her job.  She can't even read off the prompter coherently.  And forget her contributing thoughtful or rational commentary or questions.  She can't.  Compare her to her guests or regulars.  Or anybody else on CNN or msnbc.  She's not up to par.  Yet she's lasted 10 years and she's making good money. 

Is the lesson that her "own value" is based on sex with a coworker who had the power to keep her or replace her?  I don't get what she can teach women re empowering themselves.  If she had any self-awareness, she'd be embarrassed.

I suggest that you read Mika's first book, "All Things at Once". Mika was desperate for work in 2007. She had turned 40. She begged MSNBC to let her come back & do 2 minute updates between shows. This job did not pay her very much but kept her on the air.

Imus got fired for making racist comments about African American female basketball team.

Joe was auditioning for the morning show replacement & chased after Mika.

I do wonder what would have happened to Mika if she had resisted Joe's romantic advances .

12 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

Apparently when his pool of available women dried up in the workplace, he started to branch out to college students (this happened in 2011, way after he left ABC):

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-accuser-serial-harasser-mark-halperin-targeted-college-girls-too

Wow! That is absurd. I am pretty sure he was in a long term relationship with Karen at that time. He was also appearing on Morning Joe on a regular basis in 2011.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, merriebreeze said:

Joe tweets this:

"There are no words to describe how disgraceful and dangerous this coordinated attack against Robert Mueller is."

I'll buy it when he acknowledges that he & Mika were complicit in legitimizing Trump.

I can't take Joe seriously any more. He lashes out at Harvey Weinstein & his enablers in the media yet hides behind Mika when one of his close "friends" , Halperin is harassing & sexually assaulting women as late as 2011 when he was a Morning Joe regular. Joe enabled Trump for ratings & turned a blind eye to Halperin. It appears that it was an "open secret" about Halperin , so "always in the know" Joe can't play dumb.

On Friday's show he complained about the GOP tax plan after spending all of his political life complaining about high tax rates. Now he acknowledges that high tax rates are OK.

Joe will probably start off the show bragging about Mueller's indictments & Trump's low poll numbers.

According to Joe, polls taken 3 years before an election are "big news". Mika will probably be off prepping for "knowing her value" show.

• Love 6

Monday Recap. I am surprised that Mika is in the studio with Joe. Mika is wearing a dark navy top. Katty & Ford Jr & Secret Agent Clint are on the panel.

Mika is giddy that Mueller will file charges today. Joe bashed the WSJ for complaining about Mueller's objectivity & criticizing Hillary Clinton.

Joe said these charges could lead to impeachment.

Joe is happy that charges filed in NY state cannot be pardoned by Trump.

Joe liked the baseball game last night 13-12 for the Astros. Mika started groaning.

Katty said Trump's phone caught fire with all the tweets.

Joe said Trump won't be indicted today.

Joe said the meeting in NY at Trump Jr's office was a big deal. Joe said he never met with the Soviets during his time as a Congressmen from Pensacola.

Joe likes Mueller.

Joe said his sources said the indictment will be close to President Trump.

• Love 4

Joe said Trump's support is between 32-38%.

Joe is mocking Fox News for focusing on the Clinton scandals.

Joe bragged about his Delorean. Mika is making hand gestures about the De Lorean doors coming down.

Trump's support down to 38%.

They are talking about Faulkner? Meecham mocked Mika's college, Williams.

Mika is not happy about this.

Joe said he litigated the Clinton scandals. Joe said it's the reason Hillary won?.

Joe said he was right about the election.

Joe's hair is wild today. It must be windy in the studio.

Meecham said Twitter gives Trump supporters a megaphone to overstate their support. Meecham said twitter was not around in Nixon's day.

• Love 5

Richard Haas & Wendy Sherman are on the set. Haas came on to discuss Brexit. Everyone is worried about the consequences.

Wendy that the referendum was not democratic.

Joe said he was in important meetings when he was in the UK in the summer. They told Joe that Trump would eventually leave the White House but the Brexit was a serious long term problem.

Haas is happy about Macron doing better in the polls. He is close to 40% support. As usual. Joe forgets that he was touting Macron as a political popular savior for France & would be as powerful as Napolean or De Gaulle. Joe has no clue what he is talking about when when it comes to talking about European politics.

He has no clue about Catalan.

Wendy is excited about President Xi. He named himself in the constitution. Poverty is down in China.

Haas said the economy is slowing in China. That was a smackdown to Wendy!

Wendy reads the Economist. She just parroted the contents of that article.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, stormy said:

Thank you Oakville. I'm listening today but don't have anything to add. I'm mystified by this mumbling panel.

I still like Clint.

Let me help you with the color commentary Stormy as it seems you don't have visuals right now, Clint looks good today . . . :)

In all seriousness, I am glad they have good panelists on today (especially Confessore as the NYT broke the story just now).  Is Mika on the set and if not where do they disappear to in the middle of their show since she was so happy about the coming indictments just an hour ago?

• Love 5

Well I have to say MSNBC has lined up their analysts well this morning.  Good to see Ari Melber and now Pete Williams.  CNN had the first coverage (including the perp walk into FBI headquarters) closely followed by NBC.  Fox was at least 3 minutes behind (they were at a commercial break) and then dedicated 90 seconds to the whole thing (no video) and then went back to Obama/Clinton bashing.  Looks like the win goes to CNN with an honorable mention to MSNBC.

And where the hell did Mika go?

• Love 4

If anyone didn't think trump is crazy before today,  his weekend tweets are all you need. While Mika was reading them, I was laughing and Meecham and the others trying to put them into some kind of significant historical reference? Don't even bother.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Thank you Cased, I didn't realize that . . . sorry for the rants folks!

I do agree, though, that it does get confusing at times when Mika or Joe keep coming and going throughout the show. There was one particularly funny instance last week, where Mika started a segment by herself, and in the middle of the segment Joe replaced her, and he finished the segment  by himself. 

• Love 4

This is great---At 8 AM they were talking about Manafort and his Russian ties and they said something happened after "The Orange Revolution." I just assumed "The Orange Revolution" was when Trump won the election!!!  Turns out this had nothing to do with Trump, happened after an election in the Ukraine in 2004.  BUTTTTT-- I think MJ could definitely use that term on their show!

• Love 2

Tuesday Recap. Mika is wearing a new dark grey top which looks fabulous. Joe is wearing a suit. Special guests are Heidi in the Library & Boring Barnicle.

Joe is crowing about Mueller's indictments. They showed a picture of Papadopoulos, the evil mastermind who pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI. Joe showed a photo of him in a meeting to see how close he was to Trump in he meeting, so Trump must have known what was going on.

Sort of like showing photos of Mika & Joe sitting next to Halperin for 7 years & not knowing that he was sexually assaulting  & harassing co workers.

Mika was in a good mood & wished everyone a Happy Halloween. She said Boo!

Jeremy bash said that the Professor was part of the Russian intelligence. Willie said the Russians found a mark & wanted to infiltrate the campaign.

• Love 5

Heidi said that the tweet storm stopped after Papadopoulos was convicted. He is co operating with officials.

Trump tweet storms are now like weather events.

Joe is trying to impress the panel with his legal knowledge.

• Love 1

Joe said that he would never accept meetings  with the Kremlin when he was running for Congress in Pensacola.

Mika & Joe bragged about the tough questions they asked Trump about Putin. !

For the record, I never recall Papadopoulos being mentioned on Morning Joe. Joe used to brag about knowing all the top people in the Trump campaign.

They keep showing the dark photo of papa in the meeting with Trump.

• Love 5

Joe keeps going on and on about the Facebook 126M impressions that could have affected votes.

Joe is mad that people are tuning into Facebook to get their news.

Heidi said the Russians put out negative ads on Hillary's criminal Justice reform which depressed African American turnout .

Is it possible that traditional Democrat voters were turned off by Hillary during the primaries?

Is it possible that Bernie Sanders got almost as many votes as Hillary a warning sign that Hillary was not as popular as she thought?

Joe started talking about baseball.

Mika is crowing about her Know Your Value tour.  Joe said he was busy looking at Mika during the show.

There will be highlights on Friday 's show. I can't wait:))

• Love 3

Not that I saw and I have been watching since 6 am.    I'm still astounded by how they have ignored the Bush groping scandal.   Andrea Mitchell is a friend of the show, and she tweeted recently that the women reporting Bush's inappropriate actions should be "embarrassed" for making a stink about it.

I would like to address the programming lunacy of rerunning the first half hour of the show at 8 am.   First thing I do is switch to another station.   Many times, I either forget or don't bother to switch back.    What show in its right mind hands viewers a legitimate and compelling reason to switch the channel when the show is only 2/3 of the way to being over?

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, oakville said:

Ha! I wonder if they reported that Halperin contract was terminated by NBC.

Good point Oakville, I'll have to go check Mediate to see if they have a clip.

The show must really be lit today as the other two times I bounced over I was treated to Mika sitting unusually still for the guys discussing baseball.  It was no surprise she was waiting for her turn in the spotlight about her KYW extravaganza (which did look like it was a big success) and then on my third try watched Joe trying to step on Matthew's spot on RFK (Joe got the telephone repairman vote, uh ok).  My dad was union and from my experiences I would say that particular repairman was an outlier especially back in that timeframe.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

Joe got the telephone repairman vote, uh ok

I laughed out loud and said to myself, "Drink!"
Also, his story made no sense, and, suggests that white working class union members are stupid.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, millennium said:

Not that I saw and I have been watching since 6 am.    I'm still astounded by how they have ignored the Bush groping scandal.   Andrea Mitchell is a friend of the show, and she tweeted recently that the women reporting Bush's inappropriate actions should be "embarrassed" for making a stink about it.

I would like to address the programming lunacy of rerunning the first half hour of the show at 8 am.   First thing I do is switch to another station.   Many times, I either forget or don't bother to switch back.    What show in its right mind hands viewers a legitimate and compelling reason to switch the channel when the show is only 2/3 of the way to being over?

I think Joe & Mika are personal friends of Bush St. They afdmitted to visiting his Kennybunkport home a few summers ago. Mika's family spends time at a cottage in Maine in the summer.

I think that they don't report on Bush Sr because he is a personal friend.

This is The achllles heel of Mika & Joe. They get too close personally to the people they cover & cant be objective when something bad happens to them.

i think the 30 minute repeat helps them get viewers who don't watch at 6 am.

Its hard to bloviate for 3 hours a day. 

• Love 2

It's 6 AM and they're !GIDDY!, !GIDDY! I tell 'ya!

I like that the only photo they can dig up of Papdopoulous is the one where he is sitting in a meeting with others and Trump, with a circle drawn around his and Trumps' head.  Subtle there....

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Eliot said:

Did Mika just brag at 6:08 a.m. about how tough the show was on Trump vis a vis Putin? Bitch, please.

Thank you.  The lack of self-awareness exhibited by Meek-a and her fiance never fails to astound me.  Evidently, they forgot all about that hot mic moment, where they all but agreed to peddle softball questions to the cretin they helped to legitimize.  They must have also forgotten that powder puff interview Meek-a gave Malignia.  They apparently forgot about the September 2016 trip to the Trump Tower of Doom that received so much attention and how their coverage of him became so favorable that viewers and media watchdogs alike called them out on it.  It mirrors their behavior during Governor Christie's bridge closure scandal, which they mocked and ridiculed until it could no longer be ignored.

Their self-congratulatory pats on the back disgust me.  And, I'm still waiting for that apology to their viewers for turning their show into Morning Trump for the better part of a year.

• Love 7

Between  Matthews and Joe, the hagiography of the Kennedy family is a little much. Not that Robert Kennedy wasn’t admirable in many ways. He just wasn’t perfect. And I’d add Jimmy Carter as a president with high moral character.

Dilbert Guy is a real weirdo. Do yourself a favor and google a Bloomberg article about him from last year. Very odd, and  quite full of himself.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

Did I hear Matthews say that Bobby Kennedy was the last politician with morality? 

Might want to ask the ghost of Marilyn Monroe about that. 

Also see: Barack H. Obama. 

Matthews & Joe wish they were Kennedys.

Joe still dresses like one with his wavy hair

• Love 3

Matthews & Joe wish they were Kennedys.  Joe still dresses like one with his wavy hair

Yeah, property in Connecticut and faded red Nantucket pants don't make up for the Pensacola upbringing and the scads of relatives that voted for Trump....

• Love 6
2 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

Thank you.  The lack of self-awareness exhibited by Meek-a and her fiance never fails to astound me.  Evidently, they forgot all about that hot mic moment, where they all but agreed to peddle softball questions to the cretin they helped to legitimize.  They must have also forgotten that powder puff interview Meek-a gave Malignia.  They apparently forgot about the September 2016 trip to the Trump Tower of Doom that received so much attention and how their coverage of him became so favorable that viewers and media watchdogs alike called them out on it.  It mirrors their behavior during Governor Christie's bridge closure scandal, which they mocked and ridiculed until it could no longer be ignored.

Their self-congratulatory pats on the back disgust me.  And, I'm still waiting for that apology to their viewers for turning their show into Morning Trump for the better part of a year.

Don't forget that after the election, Mika made visits to Trump Tower to meet Ivanka. They visited Mar A Largo on New Years Eve to get an interview with Yrump. They also did not disclose their fish lunch at the White House after the Insuguration until after they went negative on Trump.

Joe still refuses to release their text messages to Jared seeking assistance to have the Enquirer article about their affair in Feb 2017 spiked. 

They think their audience has no memory.

• Love 2

Chris Matthews and his self-subscribed "deep knowledge of the white working class" drives me insane. He's also very condescending which is what he's always accusing other Democrats and liberals of being. Chris, 1) the white working class is not monolithic. 2) Not all of them blame their troubles on people of color. 3) I'm betting there were white working class people marching against Trump in January and later. 4) There are white working class people who care about "social issues." (Whatever you define them as ... you never do.) I'm sure there are some that care about the environment; that care about justice for people of other races; and I'm even betting some white working class people care about contraception and that some of the women have had abortions or at least support the right to. 5) There are white working class people who are smart enough to know that their "enemies" are the 1% who insist upon tax breaks, tax cuts, and loopholes while ensuring that the working class has no room to demand anything by breaking their unions. Gah! Please stop acting like a patronizing know-it-all, because you don't!

• Love 13

Honestly, after listening to MJ this morning (most of it, anyway) and a little bit yesterday; plus years of watching two not-well-known co-hosts morph into the egomaniacs, full-of-themselves, entitled, smug, overbearing hypocrites they have become...makes me want to scream.  And now add one of the most hyperbolic, hysterical reporters out there (Matthews)...let him talk for what seems like hours.  Let him reminiscence about the good-old-days where the wishes of white working people ran the country...let him bloviate for several segments while shilling his book.  (Although the books sounds like a good read)...is there no end?  

I love a morning no-holds-barred show...love give and take..love humor and some pop culture thrown in (looking at you, Meek-a)..love topical discussions..love having a variety of guests so the show doesn't get stale.  Why can't we have that?  I have gotten to the point where I hate-watch and then come here to read everyone's comments.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Nidratime said:

Chris Matthews and his self-subscribed "deep knowledge of the white working class" drives me insane. He's also very condescending which is what he's always accusing other Democrats and liberals of being. Chris, 1) the white working class is not monolithic. 2) Not all of them blame their troubles on people of color. 3) I'm betting there were white working class people marching against Trump in January and later. 4) There are white working class people who care about "social issues." (Whatever you define them as ... you never do.) I'm sure there are some that care about the environment; that care about justice for people of other races; and I'm even betting some white working class people care about contraception and that some of the women have had abortions or at least support the right to. 5) There are white working class people who are smart enough to know that their "enemies" are the 1% who insist upon tax breaks, tax cuts, and loopholes while ensuring that the working class has no room to demand anything by breaking their unions. Gah! Please stop acting like a patronizing know-it-all, because you don't!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's starting to sound a little racist to keep complaining about the "misfortune of the white working class". How about "working class?"  Just sayin...

• Love 8
5 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Yeah, property in Connecticut and faded red Nantucket pants don't make up for the Pensacola upbringing and the scads of relatives that voted for Trump....

Don't forget all the Chinese reproduction Nantucket signage on the walls of his Connecticut home.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, teddysmom said:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's starting to sound a little racist to keep complaining about the "misfortune of the white working class". How about "working class?"  Just sayin...

That's been my complaint whenever I hear talk about the "white working class" from Republicans and Democrats.  It's as if white people the only ones who are hard-working and it does sound a bit racist, even if it's not intended to be. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Honestly, after listening to MJ this morning (most of it, anyway) and a little bit yesterday; plus years of watching two not-well-known co-hosts morph into the egomaniacs, full-of-themselves, entitled, smug, overbearing hypocrites they have become...makes me want to scream.  And now add one of the most hyperbolic, hysterical reporters out there (Matthews)...let him talk for what seems like hours.  Let him reminiscence about the good-old-days where the wishes of white working people ran the country...let him bloviate for several segments while shilling his book.  (Although the books sounds like a good read)...is there no end?  

I love a morning no-holds-barred show...love give and take..love humor and some pop culture thrown in (looking at you, Meek-a)..love topical discussions..love having a variety of guests so the show doesn't get stale.  Why can't we have that?  I have gotten to the point where I hate-watch and then come here to read everyone's comments.

Agreed. The show has cut down on the number of guests. They also reduced the number of topics they cover. They are obsessed with Trump bashing.

Its gotten so stale that Joe doesn't even bother to defend GOP tax policy anymore.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, oakville said:

Matthews & Joe wish they were Kennedys.

Joe still dresses like one with his wavy hair

OMG, you are so right.  I never made the connection until you said it, even though it's been staring me in the face every morning:  Scarborough is in Kennedy drag!

• Love 6

The discussion about the "working class" going for Trump is especially irritating given that the bulk of Trump's support came from upper-middle or affluent people. Clinton carried voters who made under $40,000. But accepting this fact would force people like Joe and Chris Matthews to face the fact that Trump voters were not attracted to a economic populism message....they were attracted to something sinister.

But that said, when you break down the "working class" vote, Trump won the white voters....Clinton carried the demo at large. (Between minority women voting for Clinton at far higher rates than white women, and this stat, it seems that minority voters did all the heavy lifting for trying to keep this country sane, to little avail.)  But again, query whether a "white working class Trump voter" was voting because Trump had an economic message that was appealing, or whether - like the more affluent Trump voter - it was....something else.

• Love 4