Type keyword(s) to search

The Americans in the Media

Whelp apparently I can't embed videos. Sorry! No idea what I'm doing wrong!

But watching the previews makes it seem like S6 makes me think of The Blair Witch Project, only with several Heathers.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just read an article in the New Vanity Fair with a spoiler. 

Spoiler

The show will advance three years to 1987. I have no idea how they got that info. Perhaps they received screeners. I do not mind knowing.  It makes more sense for the Paige storyline. BTW, I see Peter Jacobson walking his dog all the time. He lives around the corner! I don't talk to him but it's all I can do to resist asking about the show. 

Edited by GussieK
46 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I just read an article in the New Vanity Fair with a spoiler. 

Hide contents

The show will advance three years to 1987. I have no idea how they got that info. Perhaps they received screeners. I do not mind knowing.  It makes more sense for the Paige storyline. BTW, I see Peter Jacobson walking his dog all the time. He lives around the corner! I don't talk to him but it's all I can do to resist asking about the show. 

Spoilers are being discussed in the spoiler thread, this information has been out for a long time.

It is a tragedy, what happened to Ruthie Ann Miles, one of the few purely sympathetic characters in this series; this is also discussed with more links over in the secondary and tertiary character thread.  I also was horrified at this story, and later realized who Ruthie Ann Miles is. 

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, jjj said:

It is a tragedy, what happened to Ruthie Ann Miles, one of the few purely sympathetic characters in this series; this is also discussed with more links over in the secondary and tertiary character thread.  I also was horrified at this story, and later realized who Ruthie Ann Miles is. 

This is followup information on the horrific hit & run (sort of?) accident in Brooklyn, NY, yesterday that critically injured 7 months pregnant Tony Award-winning actress Ruthie Ann Blumenstein, who acts under the stage name Ruthie Ann Miles, apparently less seriously injured a friend of hers & another man (who wasn't part of the group including Blumenstein & her friend & 2 others), & caused the deaths of Blumenstein's 4-year-old daughter, Abigail, & her friend's 1-year-old son, Joshua. 

The article is from the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, where it's also a pretty big local news story, just as it is in NYC & the Broadway community there (if not the rest of the country) because Blumenstein & her friend have ties to Hawaii--Blumenstein graduated from Kaimuki High School in 2001, & apparently made frequent trips back to Hawaii to stay in touch, & her friend's father lives in Hawaii, on O'ahu (he was reported to be en route to Hawaii to be with his daughter).

Anyway, the article says the driver of the car who hit Ms. Blumenstein's group & the other man has had her license suspended, as of yesterday (which I know some posters wondered about), while police determine if she should've been driving at all, as she apparently did tell police she suffers from heart problems, seizures, & multiple sclerosis (& if she was driving with a seizure disorder that was going unmedicated as far as controlling/stopping the seizures goes; especially if she was purposely not taking any meds she was supposed to be on, then--speaking as the daughter of a now-deceased neurosurgeon--hell yeah, her license should've been suspended or revoked).

The article also makes mention that city cameras have caught the car involved violating speed regulations around schools on 4 separate occasions, as well as running red lights on 4 separate occasions, in the last 2 years. 

Normally, you'd think this would've already gotten her license revoked (it probably would've in most other states) but the article says that traffic violations in NYC are attached to the vehicle involved, not the driver. And so her driving record is apparently clean.

From the Honolulu Star AdvertiserTragedy, Death and Heartbreak on Brooklyn Street

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

The article also makes mention that city cameras have caught the car involved violating speed regulations around schools on 4 separate occasions, as well as running red lights on 4 separate occasions, in the last 2 years. 

Those are most likely from Red Light Cameras and Speed Cameras, which NYC has a bunch of.  The photos are taken of the rear of the car showing the license plate (I have one with two very clear photos of the back of my old Stratus) and ticket goes to the registered owner of the car.  There is no way to know if she was driving it at those times.

(edited)

while police determine if she should've been driving at all, as she apparently did tell police she suffers from heart problems, seizures, & multiple sclerosis 

I'm trying to think of a situation where she should have been, if it's as it sounds? Apparently, it's not as if the woman had a first-time or early episode of any one of those things, where they might be a surprise or not yet fully/properly diagnosed. But...if she's telling them she's got all three? WTF? And, just coincidentally, "someone" driving the same car has repeatedly done the same thing that caused this accident. I hope the cops are, at the very least, considering actual charges as they investigate, I don't think suspending the license will cut it if things go the way they are looking right now.

What an awful, terrible story. I heard it and was horrified before realizing I did know of the actress involved, from her work on this show.

Edited by mattie0808
(edited)

From Hawaii News Now, the news website for multiple local Honolulu TV stations owned by the same corporate entity, here's an update on the recovery of Tony-winning actress Ruthie Ann Miles, who was critically injured in an apparent hit and run yesterday, with a friend & a man not known to them less injured, while the women's 4-year-old & 1-year-old children were killed.

Ruthie Ann Miles has apparently been transferred from ICU, & is said to be healing (presumably at least physically...I'm sure the emotional/psychological injuries will take longer--BW); thankfully, there appear to be no problems with her second/current pregnancy. The family says the unborn baby is "safe", in a Facebook post. Her friend, the mother of the other child killed in the accident with Ms. Miles' daughter, is apparently still hospitalized in stable condition.

The driver involved hasn't been charged with a crime, but she faces possible manslaughter charges, according to the New York Daily News. Meanwhile, NYC Mayor Bill DeBlasio, who happens to live with his family in the neighborhood involved (Park Slope, Brooklyn), & has apparently used that same crosswalk involved in the accident before, along with his family, said he wishes the driver were under arrest; he further said what happened to the children was terrifying & should never happen again. (Personal Opinion: I may be wrong, but I feel like this case has hit the NYC Mayor harder than usual because it occurred in his neighborhood, at a crosswalk apparently not far from his family's home, though I haven't seen or heard anything about whether or not he actually personally knows the families involved--I somehow would bet he might know Ms. Miles, since she's a Broadway star & a Tony winner.)

Regarding the GoFundMe account set up for Ruthie Ann Miles, the account has apparently more than reached its initial goal of $5000, set when the account was opened; as of when the linked article was written & posted online, more than $390,000 has been contributed. As expected, a number of those in the Broadway & Hollywood communities are among the contributors, including Keri Russell.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some info.
  • Love 2

Why The Americans Is the Quintessential Spy Thriller for Our Anxious Age

Thanks to Vladimir Putin, the Cold War is hot again. Nowhere has it seemed more real than in FX’s 1980s-set espionage drama, which is about to kick off its final season.

warning, spoilers about the next season (well, just one, but it's huge, timing) are lower down in this article.

On 3/10/2018 at 8:29 PM, crgirl412 said:

5aa4861c5ea6d_MV5BMjExMjk5NjI2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTU3MzU4NDM@._V1_UX182_CR00182268_AL_.jpg.f5ff5f82f75250abf50ee2c05ae86b1c.jpg 

I've never seen this picture before!!!

I like it a lot (is this the first time the "R" has gotten that treatment?) but I'm trying to decide who the third hand belongs to. Paige? Elizabeth? Oprah? (jk) It matches Elizabeth's exactly so I assume it's meant to symbolize her loyalties being divided between the family and the work she's now doing alone, without Philip. Agree? Other interpretations?

ETA: By 'third' I meant one that couldn't belong to Philip or Elizabeth, as shown - I forgot you can't actually see Philip's hand.

Edited by BingeyKohan
Clarity
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, BingeyKohan said:

(is this the first time the "R" has gotten that treatment?)

Nah, they've done that before.

Wasn't sure if you were kidding about the second hand--it is weirdly placed but it's Philip's hand. They've gone out of their way to show both their wedding rings for the first time. Last year's art prominently featured Philip's on purpose because she was holding the gun and he was holding her wrist with his wedding ring showing. Earlier posters often featured the guns. So this picture has them both with a gun and both with a ring.

3 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Nah, they've done that before.

Wasn't sure if you were kidding about the second hand--it is weirdly placed but it's Philip's hand. They've gone out of their way to show both their wedding rings for the first time. Last year's art prominently featured Philip's on purpose because she was holding the gun and he was holding her wrist with his wedding ring showing. Earlier posters often featured the guns. So this picture has them both with a gun and both with a ring.

Ah, interesting - it didn't even occur to me that was his hand, I guess because of the improbability of the posture. That makes more sense - he's trying to be protective (or circling the wagons around the family) but she's not sure she wants or trusts the protection...

Eh.   Kind of a cop out to just jump forward and voila! Paige is somehow now a viable spy.    

But maybe I’m just being unduly negative.

At least she finally changed that hairdo.   Hopefully the headache-inducing wallpaper is gone now, too!

• Love 2

Sorry! Read post below for the links that were originally here, plus others. A link I was trying to post was a real PITA, & I had to start the whole post over to finally get the tricky link to work. I think everything works as it should now. If not, let me know.

Edited by BW Manilowe
Because links that were here got moved to a different post (the post below).
  • Love 1

From EW.com: The Americans Begins Its Awkward, Compelling Final Season. There are TWO (2) PAGES to this article. POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

From The Hill Stars of The Americans Talk US-Russia Relations at DC Premiere

From The Wall Street JournalThe Americans Review--From Russia with No Love POSSIBLE SPOILERS--Article linked from alternate site, but was originally from The Wall Street Journal

From The New York TimesReady for Season 6 of The Americans? Here's What to Remember

From The Daily MailKeri Russell and Matthew Rhys Joke About The Americans Sex Scenes

From The Boston GlobeThe Americans Goes Back Into the Cold

From UproxxWe Know Everything and Nothing About How The Americans Will End

From ET Online: Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys Totally Get That The Americans Might Be 'Too Sexy' to Binge Watch

From VarietyThe Americans: A Peek Behind the Season 6 Production Curtain

From The Washington PostThe Americans Previews New Season in Washington, Where Russia Drama Is Already on TV

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a missed link.
  • Love 3

Hearing Matthew Rhys' real voice was like "whoa!"   LOL.  I've never seen any of his interviews before.  

I'm not really looking forward to this season, sad to say.  The last season wore me out.   I still am not jazzed about the direction they took with the Paige storyline -- having her mope for a season, and then just acquiesce into being a good little spy is possibly the most boring route they could have taken this thing.  

But I do like the idea of more Claudia.  And it will be interesting to watch a happy Philip booking cruises while Elizabeth finally gets jaded about the spy life.  

Covering Costa Ronin's pretty face with a big beard is ... not the direction I would have taken.

Stan better do something, anything, that amounts to usefulness this season!

Years later, I realize I'm still randomly, continuously, pissed that they killed off John Boy Walton for no reason that made sense ... (Nina's death was devastating, but her character arc at least made sense)

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 8

These videos are the only thing close to spoilers I've been allowing myself, so this is complete speculation on my part.

Why do I get the feeling we're going to have a Dark Knight Rises moment from Philip, where he's the Russian spy equivalent of Batman suddenly reappearing at the most awesome moment?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Why do I get the feeling we're going to have a Dark Knight Rises moment from Philip, where he's the Russian spy equivalent of Batman suddenly reappearing at the most awesome moment?

From the videos it does appear that plot-wise they got him retired so that the Old School Centre thinks they've got him controlled and out of it, and that just means he's a secret weapon for the Reformers. Not sure how that would play into Elizabeth. Purely speculation again, but she might find herself the more conflicted one compared to Claudia and even Paige, especially where Philip is concerned.

• Love 1

I'm cautiously optimistic.  FX shows tend to have weak penultimate seasons before finishing with strong final seasons (Justified comes to mind and I hear The Shield as well).  So long as they don't repeat the storytelling mistakes of last season, where the showrunners decided to spend the entire season on a victory tour, patting themselves on the back the entire way while squandering an entire season.  Season 5 was a waste though the cast was as good as ever.

• Love 3