Type keyword(s) to search

The Americans in the Media

I guess it could go either way. I haven't yet seen anything described or pictured that doesn't look like what either lovers or just plain friends hanging out could do.

I have to wonder if the person writing that article has even been watching the show...

1. Don’t Paige and Henry ever wonder where their parents have gone in the middle of the night?

How many times have they taken pains to show this? If they're going to be gone in the early evening, they get a sitter. If they're going to be gone in the middle of the night they wait until the kids are asleep and come back before morning. That's the reasoning behind the kids not being allowed to open the bedroom door.

3. Where do Philip and Elizabeth change into their wigs and costumes?

The safe house that was shown in "Behind the Red Door." Or sometimes probably a convenient bathroom or secluded area somewhere. The question also included how "Clark's" wig doesn't come off easily, which was answered in the same episode. It's held on with a freakish number of bobby pins

4. Why don’t Philip and Elizabeth ever slip and speak Russian?

Because they've completely immersed themselves in English and haven't been allowed to speak a word of Russian for 20 years. If the KGB thought they were dumb enough to stub their toe and speak Russian, they would've chosen someone else for the job.

5. Can’t Nina do better than Oleg?

I don't think Oleg is half bad, but that's neither here nor there. They work together and he's smart, funny, and helped her out of a fix with Stan Beeman. She could do worse.

6. Don’t the workers at Philip and Elizabeth’s travel agency ever question whether it’s a legitimate business?

They don't need to. It is a legitimate business.

7. What happened to Claudia?

We're not supposed to know yet.

8. With all the snooping around Paige has done in that laundry room, why has she never found anything?

Her parents aren't complete idiots. Most teens "snooping" don't go as far as to take a chainsaw to the wall and find the hidden compartment behind the circuit breaker box. Even the compartment behind the dryer is behind a grate and there's nothing visible unless you hit a switch. It's just a vent.

• Love 7

Anyone know when the first season appeared on Amazon Prime? After the season aired, or maybe when season 2 began? I just got in to the show and am currently forcing everyone I know to watch it so I'm wondering when season 2 will be available for them to catch up. :) 

Anyone go to The Americans panel at NYCC?  I really enjoyed it, the big four were there along with the two main producers.  They came out in "Commie Con" shirts and were a fun group, particularly Matthew Rhys.  They announced that filming for Season 3 will begin on Monday and the season premiere will be in January. 

As a result, they couldn't get too much into detail about what's happening this season although someone in the audience might have guessed a spoiler for next season during the Q&A portion.  They also joked about the unnaturally long winter they were filming in and how that was noticeable last season.  The producer said it was funny but apparently in 1982, DC was hit with a long winter.

• Love 6

The Americans Season 2 is going to be a DVD-only release...

so it won't be in Blu-Ray. I wonder if it will be available streaming, which is how I re-watch most of my favorite TV shows.

Although I'd love to see the gag reel and deleted scenes on the DVD.

• Love 1

so it won't be in Blu-Ray. I wonder if it will be available streaming, which is how I re-watch most of my favorite TV shows.

Although I'd love to see the gag reel and deleted scenes on the DVD.

Check online sometime close to the release date for the DVDs (I think the press release linked upthread said S2 DVDs come out on December 16th). If this show is anything like my other favorite show, the DVD extras will probably show up somewhere online (not necessarily on the show's website, but other sources) around the DVD release date. Or you might eventually be able to rent them from your library or somewhere else if you don't want to buy in DVD format.

Also, if you're interested, you can also download eps from both S1 & S2/all of S1 &/or S2 through iTunes (at least if you're in the US).

• Love 2

Ooh! Casting news! Frank Langella (the sexiest Dracula ever -- I brook no debate) joins the cast as Claudia's replacement.

If you like reading extremely dishy memoirs, I recommend Langella's Dropped Names.

He's Claudia's replacement, but he's not new to the Jenningses. Or he shouldn't be. He's playing Gabriel their original/previous handler, who's often been mentioned in S1 & S2, who's come out of retirement to work with them again.

• Love 2

He's Claudia's replacement, but he's not new to the Jenningses. Or he shouldn't be. He's playing Gabriel their original/previous handler, who's often been mentioned in S1 & S2, who's come out of retirement to work with them again.

So, wait. Who died in the Pilot episode? The guy who got shot that they dropped off at the hospital? Who was secretly married with a kid?

So, wait. Who died in the Pilot episode? The guy who got shot that they dropped off at the hospital? Who was secretly married with a kid?

That wasn't their handler; that was Robert, a fellow operative. Gabriel never appeared but was mentioned a couple times early on; Philip and Elizabeth are surprised that Gabriel has been replaced, and Claudia tells Philip, "Just think of me as Gabriel, only prettier."

• Love 1

It hasn't even aired (in the US or the UK) yet, but there's already preliminary information, including a release date, on a DVD & Blu-Ray release for Death Comes To Pemberley, the PD James continuation of a Jane Austen story that Matthew stars in & filmed between S1 & S2 (I think it was).

The information is from the TVShowsOnDVD.com website, posted earlier today, October 21st. Here's the link:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20404

Edited by BW Manilowe

My local listings have DCtP airing beginning this Sunday night (10/26) on Masterpiece Mystery. For what that's worth. Not that my dvr is set already or anything...

Edited by attica

Just read a notice that the actress who played the woman Elizabeth met through AA last season is going to be a recurring character. It makes sense--Elizabeth was trying to find a way to get information at the plant where the woman works. So this woman is going to continue to be Elizabeth's (Michelle's) sponsor in AA and to be her friend.

Interesting since "Michelle" has established herself as having a husband and kids so she's got reason to work out her real life problems any time she wants with her sponsor.

New season 3 trailer and new wigs for Phillip and Elizabeth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PSu2dpWBjfQ

I knew they'd end up using Police' "Every Breath You Take" sooner or later.

No more bangs for Paige. I don't know if any young Christians had such fab 80s hair though!

Yay Nina's back!  She's in the Soviet Union being interrogated as a  prisoner, but she's back!

Brezhnev died in November 1982

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

That was awesome! Looking forward to how they handle things with Brezhnev's death. My mother described it as being an incredible shock since he had been in power almost all her life. The next few guys who came in died in such succession that Mama says they actually had a joke people would say quietly to each other -- "You're gonna laugh, but another one's dead!"

Philip and Elizabeth have been in America for basically Brezhnev's entire regime. The revolving door of replacements should be a mess that reaches them. I think we're going to see a lot more episodes like the one with the bomber -- someone in Moscow makes a decision, then someone else in Moscow makes a different decision, and meanwhile Philip and Elizabeth will probably be tossed around from mission to mission to undo last mission...I wonder when they'll get the hint that things are really going down and they should start worrying about themselves. My parents left in '85 and things were already falling apart right in front of their eyes. Philip and Elizabeth are removed from that. They may not see the fall coming until it lands on them.

• Love 4

Downton Abbey and The Good Wife have been in that list like forever, together with The Mad Men whose spot was up for grabs. The Affair is new and different and it did very well to get in (I don't begrudge them), GOT and HOC were always going to get noms through critical and popular opinion (they are really good shows). That leaves two debatable spots that, in my view, should have gone to The Americans and Masters of Sex. Both have amazing production values, stellar casts and are brilliantly written. The advantage of incumbency in these awards is too great IMO.

• Love 1

The advantage of incumbency in these awards is too great IMO.

There are a lot of "fresh faces" in the Comedy Series category:

Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy

Nominees:

"Girls" (2012)

"Orange Is the New Black" (2013)

"Transparent" (2014)

"Silicon Valley" (2014)

"Jane the Virgin" (2014)

• Love 1