Type keyword(s) to search

The Americans in the Media

2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

FYI, I've read that Keri Russell will be introducing the Waitress number at the Tonys tonight.

Whatever she may or may not be doing, she's definitely at the Tonys. The TV show Extra Tweeted a pic of her on the red carpet awhile ago. She looks damn good for having recently given birth--& they didn't get any details on the baby or the birth. I don't know if Matthew's with her & just skipped the red carpet, or if he's home watching the kid(s). Anyway... If you can't see her pic, click the pic.twitter link that starts after the TonyAwards hashtag.

• Love 1

And here's an article from People magazine about Keri attending the Tony Awards tonight. It goes into detail about her outfit, for the fashionistas among us, & also mentions that Keri & Matthew have become parents (they say it happened last month) but haven't (yet) released any details on their new arrival.

http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,21012367,00.html?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

And... Congratulations to Frank Langella, aka Gabriel, for his Tony Award win tonight, in the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Play category, for his performance in the play Father.

• Love 7
(edited)
14 minutes ago, gwhh said:

Dream Emmy Picks:

They lose me when they throw in Holly Taylor. Come on. I felt the same way when people always said Kiernan Shipka should be nominated for Mad Men. It's not an insult to pass them over. The Americans even had Alison Wright in an important supporting role where she was doing much more professional work. 

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 4

ET Online has an interview with Holly Taylor.

You retweet both negative and positive comments about Paige. How do you handle the haters?

All of this is very new to me, so it was very weird for me to see people say anything about my character -- let alone saying mean things, or how they want me to shut up or leave the country or something. [Laughs] It was kind of hard to get used to. I would just kind of ignore it. There was one tweet where someone was like, "Ugh, Paige is the worst, I can't stand her." And I just replied, "Thank you." I was hoping they would answer, but they didn't. I know that everybody is really invested in the show and I try to take it as a compliment when people say my character should die. I'm just glad that people just care that much -- that's an amazing accomplishment for the writers and everybody that's involved in the show.

Good for her!

• Love 4

I personally think Holly Taylor has done a fairly impressive job.  But if asked to pick between her and Alison Wright for the Emmy, I'd probably go with the later.

I always enjoy Holly's interviews.  She expresses a certain wide-eyed enthusiasm for her work on the show that I find kind of charming.

• Love 2

Matthew Rhys interviewed as part of an article in Variety about actors directing TV shows. 

From Morgan Freeman to Matthew Rhys, Actors Take on Directing Reins

“The Americans” star Matthew Rhys compares the process of directing an episode to childbirth — once it’s over, you forget how difficult it was in the moment (disclaimer: he is well aware that the comparison is totally baseless, but you get the point). “The first episode back after directing, you’re just so relieved to be standing on a piece of tape, and not being pecked to death by a thousand questions,” he says. “It’s the episode after that where you go, ‘Oh, I’m a bit bored again.’ ”

• Love 1

The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, the group which sponsors the Hollywood Walk of Fame, announced their 2017 honorees yesterday. Keri Russell is among those selected to receive a star in the Television category.

However, just because Keri (& the others selected with her) has been selected to receive a star next year, that doesn't necessarily mean that's when she'll get it, what with work schedules, real life commitments, etc., since the stars are expected to attend the unveiling ceremony. Now that Keri's been named a recipient, she has *5 years* to schedule the ceremony before she'll have to go back through the selection process again. At any rate, congratulations are in order. The entire list of those selected to receive a Walk of Fame star in (as soon as) 2017 is at the link below.

http://walkoffame.com/

The E! Online website says Keri was on the Today show this morning, promoting a new movie she's in. During the interview Matt Lauer asked her about the new baby, mentioning that none of the details on the baby have been announced yet. So...

Keri said she & Matthew had a boy (I suppose the blue baby sling in the paparazzi pics awhile back was probably a gender clue, but it didn't have to be), & his name is Sam.

http://m.eonline.com/news/777202/keri-russell-reveals-her-baby-s-name-and-sex

• Love 3
On June 17, 2016 at 11:56 PM, viajero said:

I personally think Holly Taylor has done a fairly impressive job.  But if asked to pick between her and Alison Wright for the Emmy, I'd probably go with the later.

I always enjoy Holly's interviews.  She expresses a certain wide-eyed enthusiasm for her work on the show that I find kind of charming.

ITA.  In a perfect world they would both be nominated and both win.  Season 4 was stand out seasons for both of them.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

The E! Online website says Keri was on the Today show this morning, promoting a new movie she's in. During the interview Matt Lauer asked her about the new baby, mentioning that none of the details on the baby have been announced yet. So...

Keri said she & Matthew had a boy (I suppose the blue baby sling in the paparazzi pics awhile back was probably a gender clue, but it didn't have to be), & his name is Sam.

http://m.eonline.com/news/777202/keri-russell-reveals-her-baby-s-name-and-sex

"He's big and fat and nice" - how she describes the baby. Awww. :)

• Love 2

Indie Wire interview with Peg Schierholz about the wigs in season 4. 

Why Getting Less Wigged Out on 'The Americans' Was a Good Sign (Emmy's Watch)

Say goodbye to wacky wigs for husband and wife KGB agents Philip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth (Keri Russell) on “The Americans.” It’s a sure sign that the Cold War spy series is winding down for Seasons 5 and 6. But it also means focusing more attention on the survival of their marriage and family.

“It was a transitional season and it was hard saying goodbye to [aliases] Clark and Jennifer because those looks are retired now, but it was fun doing more truth by craft with Philip,” said Peg Schierholz, who is head of hair.

Margo Martindale's also up for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama for playing Claudia again. So we've at least got 3 acting nominations & the Outstanding Drama nomination (I haven't seen the nominations for Drama Writing or Directing yet, so I don't know if we got anything there).

• Love 1

MR & KR must be having a really great year! The show also got a writing nom for "Persona Non Grata" but didn't see anything for Directing. I was really hoping for the Drama Series nomination, but so happy for the acting ones, even if Alison Wright didn't get anything for her work (kinda disappointed about that, but just the fact that the show broke through dulls the disappointment).

Although I am exited that Tha Americans has finally and deservedly gotten Emmy love, Alyson Wright got robbed.  I mean really why doesn't the Emmys just drop the pretense and call the category what it is "Best supporting  actor/actress on Game of Thrones".    

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, scartact said:

MR & KR must be having a really great year! The show also got a writing nom for "Persona Non Grata" but didn't see anything for Directing. I was really hoping for the Drama Series nomination, but so happy for the acting ones, even if Alison Wright didn't get anything for her work (kinda disappointed about that, but just the fact that the show broke through dulls the disappointment).

I was just coming over here to post that Annet Mahendru Tweeted congratulations to Joel Fields & the writing team on their nomination.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnnetMahendru/status/753618611218952192?p=v

So that makes 5 Emmy nods this season--1 for writing, 3 for acting, & 1 for Outstanding Drama Series.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, benteen said:

Glad to see this show FINALLY get some Emmy love.  Long overdue.  I agree that Alison Wright was robbed.

It doesn't make it right, but I'm wondering if Alison failed to get a nod (besides any strong competition) because she's not as big a "name" as Matthew & Keri are. They both have a "TV history", having been in Brothers & Sisters & Felicity (& The Mickey Mouse Club reboot years ago). I'm not sure how much "TV history" Alison has, in comparison.

47 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Sorry... Not meaning to "monopolize" the thread. Just wanted to pass along this link from The Hollywood Reporter. They talked to the showrunners, aka "the Joels", about their reactions to all the Emmy nominations the show scored this year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/americans-showrunners-emmy-nominations-i-911100

Many thanks for all the links -- never would have time to track all this down!!!  Hurrah for EmmyLove! 

OK... The showrunners reaction article interviewed Joel & Joe--not "the Joels" as I said (the creators, at least, are Joe & 2 Joels as I remember). So apologies for that error.

Here's an article from USA Today with Keri's reaction (& Matthew's, by proxy) to all the nominations. It's cute. It also says they start filming S5 in October & gives a potential spoiler at the end.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2016/07/14/keri-russell-new-emmy-love-so-long-underdog-status/87097882/

8 hours ago, crgirl412 said:

Alison Wright got really, really robbed!!!!  Does "the academy" not watch the what is sent to them??

I suppose sometimes they do & sometimes they don't. Which really doesn't make it right. I mean, once they get the screener tapes/DVDs, it's up to the voters to watch them on the "honor" system. 

I think Alison's being overlooked could be attributed to at least 2 things, as I said earlier either upthread or in a different thread:

Either the strength of the competition in the category she was probably up for nomination in (presumably Supporting Actress in a Drama Series), not to mention the Emmy voters' tendency to vote for the same actors repeatedly, even when the work put up for a nomination is only a 2-minute scene in 1 episode over the entire season (which won Margo Martindale her 2nd Guest Actress in a Drama Emmy for the series last season, so I'm not really knocking it as it would sound), most of the time they don't vote for new shows or actors until something they've previously "shown a lot of love to" ends on its own or gets canceled & is no longer eligible (like Mad Men for this season); OR the fact that maybe Alison doesn't have as "recognizable" a name with the Emmy voters as either her competition does or even as Keri & Matthew do (Keri's career going as far back as at least the Mickey Mouse Club reboot in I don't remember when, which also originally gave us Britney Spears & Justin Timberlake, to Felicity, more recently, before playing Elizabeth Jennings on The Americans; & Matthew being known as "the gay brother", Kevin, on ABC's Emmy-nominated (& Emmy-winning, for Sally Field as the family matriarch either once or twice, as I remember) Brothers & Sisters before taking the role of Philip Jennings on The Americans).

Again, none of the reasons I cited as to why Alison may have been overlooked make it right. They're just, having read about the entertainment industry & having watched the Emmys for years, the reasons I can come up with for why she was overlooked.

My understanding is that the voters are under no obligation to watch ANYTHING before voting for nominations. Seriously, the sheer volume of televised material these days would make this impossible.  This is why the forces cited by BW Manilowe kick in.  Once nominees are selected, however, there's an "honor system" to watch the nominated entries (only 5 to 7 per category) before voting for a winner.

On July 18, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Inquisitionist said:

My understanding is that the voters are under no obligation to watch ANYTHING before voting for nominations. Seriously, the sheer volume of televised material these days would make this impossible.  This is why the forces cited by BW Manilowe kick in.  Once nominees are selected, however, there's an "honor system" to watch the nominated entries (only 5 to 7 per category) before voting for a winner.

This explains why Alison Wright wasn't nominated and probably why Margo Martingdale for guest actress over certain actors/actresses that probably deserved it more.

• Love 1

Is The Magic of David Copperfield the episode Matt directed? If it is, I wonder whether that might play a role on the voting - that he not only acted, but also had to put in the extra time directing. And now I'm wondering if that's even the episode he submitted.

Edited by Loandbehold

@Loandbehold: I checked. Yes, The Magic of David Copperfield V was the ep Matthew directed. And, according to posts in the Awards and Nominations thread, that's the episode both Matthew & Keri submitted for consideration in the Lead Drama acting categories they're now nominated in.

Having said that, I'm not really sure there was that much weight added to consideration for Matthew's nomination because he acted in & directed it. At least in the initial rounds of voting, the voting is done only by the TV Academy members in the categories that apply to the awards involved--actors & actresses vote for actors & actresses, directors for directors, writers for writers, etc. And Matthew didn't get a directing nomination.

Here's another article, from Entertainment Weekly, about Matthew & Keri attending the White House State Dinner for the Singaporean Prime Minister & his wife.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/03/americans-keri-russell-matthew-rhys-white-house-state-dinner

If anyone's interested, there's a whole article on People magazine's website, people.com, about how they did Keri's makeup for the dinner. If you can't find it, lemme know & I'll post the link.

The showrunners did the annual panel discussion for the show at the TCA meeting yesterday (Tuesday). Here's something of a recap from Variety. Spoilerphobes consider this spoilery:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-americans-fx-joel-fields-joe-weisberg-matthew-rhys-keri-russell-1201834122/

They also said (quotes from other media sources represented at the TCA meeting that weren't mentioned in the article above). I'm not sure this info is as spoilery as that in the article, so I'm not tagging it as such. Apologies to those who think I should've.

The show will probably return in the Spring of 2017, maybe a bit later than this past season's spring debut.

They've had an idea of how the show will end for 3 years now, but it could still change.

The creators mapped out roughly what will happen in the final 2 years, before concentrating on Season 5 specifically.

Whether or not Henry will ever clue into what's going on is something that's going to become more & more part of the story.

Another new interview with the showrunners, & I think Matthew chimes in somewhere too, from The Hollywood Reporter. It's kinda unusual, in my opinion, but worth reading. Among other things, they talk--again--about the Emmy love for S4; they speculate about who the characters (the Jenningses) would vote for in our elections, what they might think of Putin as the Russian leader, & who would they (the showrunners) wanna sit by at the Emmys (1 said he would wanna sit by Matthew & Keri; the other said he'd wanna sit by Louie Anderson, because he sees Matthew & Keri all the time at work).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmys-americans-showrunners-try-predict-919064?utm_source=twitter

• Love 2

New, but short The New York Times interview with Keri, about baby Sam, her relationship with Matthew (working with your partner, etc.), the Emmy nominations, & Matthew's The Wine Show (I think that's mostly what was included--they said what was published was excerpts from a [presumably longer] phone interview with Keri, who was still at the family's country home when she was interviewed).

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/arts/television/keri-russell-matthew-rhys-the-americans-emmy-nomination.html?_r=3&sf33726635=1&referer=

• Love 2