Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

You know, it really amazes me (yet verifies my opinion) that 99.99% of the media have the exact same opinion as I do.

USA Today State of the TV Season: And here you have the dreaded sophomore slump. It's possible, of course, that there are viewers out there who wanted to see more of Ichabod's wife , or wanted to hear her and Ichabod argue over their grown son's mother fixations and Satanic leanings. The ratings, however, would indicate otherwise.

The article is short paragraphs on TV shows, so this is all they wrote. Still, there are no lies here!!

• Love 13

TPTB don't care what the fans think. They do care what critics think. And every critic has said the same thing. And there's no way Goffman can deny that this debacle happened under his leadership. I'm holding out hope that now that Orci is kind of free he'll swoop in and put things right.

ETA: I'm pretty sure Goffman is talking real fast about his "vision" and that it will all become clear soon and everyone whining shipped Ichabbie. He can't say that about the critics though. I guess he'll say they'll understand at season's end.

Edited by starchild215
  • Love 3

That Orlando video is the best recap EVAH. Hee-larious that he sees S2 pretty much the same way as the rest of us. *coughkatrinacough*

Oh. My. Gawd. I just watched it now. The shade....the shade of it all...And he is so dead on. *flips hand* Black, now white, now black. I can do better magic than Katrina." Holy cow. And he broke my heart when he said that the others "forgot about Irving" in Tarrytown. Oh man.

Well, I guess Orlando ain't coming back, because that is some serious (but truthful) shade. I doubt he would say this much if he were. Makes me laugh, but makes me really sad and angry. Jones, you deserved better.

• Love 12

I found this article from October 2013 while searching TV shows about witches.  I haven't seen it posted; but apologize if it has been.

This is the part that caught my attention 

As the Headless Horseman embarks on a killing spree, Ichabod and a sheriff team in an attempt to unravel the mystery that surrounds these killings, Ichabod’s return and those that summoned the horseman. But what of the witches? Well, it seems like a sorceress is about to take centre stage in the form of our hero’s wife, Katrina Crane,

http://www.swide.com/art-culture/movies/best-new-witches-movies-and-tv-series-2014-including-salem-maleficent-and-into-the-woods/2013/10/24

Maybe this is the transition we're seeing now.  Which for the record, I would hate because I think the friendship between Abby and Ichabod is the key to the show (at least for me).  I'm not an Ichabod/Abby shipper; but love their interaction as friends.

ITA, Criminey. I love(d) this show for the Crane/Abby interaction and friendship. If Katrina is going to be taking center stage, then I'm going to have to bow out. I dislike the character AND the wooden actress that much. Like Orlando's "black, white, black, white," I'll be "here, gone, here, gone, gone, gone ..."

Maybe Bloom and Cho can start their own series from purgatory. I'd watch that.

• Love 5

Maybe Bloom and Cho can start their own series from purgatory. I'd watch that.

An elf with wicked archery skills and a zombie with an unfortunate neck condition…What's not to like?  ;) (Just kidding, I know you meant "Jones" not Bloom.)

Edited by RiddleyWalker

I found this article from October 2013 while searching TV shows about witches.  I haven't seen it posted; but apologize if it has been.

This is the part that caught my attention 

http://www.swide.com/art-culture/movies/best-new-witches-movies-and-tv-series-2014-including-salem-maleficent-and-into-the-woods/2013/10/24

Maybe this is the transition we're seeing now.  Which for the record, I would hate because I think the friendship between Abby and Ichabod is the key to the show (at least for me).  I'm not an Ichabod/Abby shipper; but love their interaction as friends.

I think that article was a harbinger of the shift that was subtle on the show - it was around the Sin Eater episode that Goffman started laying the foundation to hand the show over to Katrina Crane and CFD (Henry, Abraham) and to marginalize Abbie.

It's a shame too - the s2 premiere was so good (minus the Katrina parts - except shirtless headless)... and now this.

An elf with wicked archery skills and a zombie with an unfortunate neck condition…What's not to like?  ;) (Just kidding, I know you meant "Jones" not Bloom.)

Oh, RiddleyWalker,  you just made me laugh hard ... at myself. I had Orlando on the brain, and "Bloom" just came out of my keyboard. Thanks for correcting me; yes, "Jones" is what I meant. Perhaps Mr. Jones' prettiness in that photo linked above pixellated my brain. Although I wouldn't mind a purgatory threesome script containing two Orlandos and one Cho. Triple hot!

A time capsule buried by patriots Samuel Adams and Paul Revere more than two centuries ago was unearthed Thursday in Boston.

When I heard this, all I could think of was what did Crane say about Adams and Revere. At least Ben Franklin wasn't part of it so I didn't have a flashback to a naked Timothy Busfield.

Edited by saber5055

The media has started to put out their end of the year entertainment list. Below is BuddyTV’s Sleepy Hollow related rankings for 2014.

TV’s 100 Sexiest Men of 2014
http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/sleepy-hollow/tvs-100-sexiest-men-of-2014-81804.aspx

63.) Matt Barr

100.) Tom Mison

TV’s 100 Sexiest Women of 2014
http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/the-walking-dead/tvs-100-sexiest-women-of-2014-54390.aspx

3.) Nicole Beharie

79.) Lyndie Greenwood

10 Unexpected Surprises that Happened on TV (and Made Us Very Happy) in 2014

http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/the-walking-dead/10-unexpected-surprises-that-happened-on-tv-and-made-us-very-happy-in-2014-22477.aspx

6.) Sleepy Hollow’s First Season (Not the Second One)

(I did LOL at them wanting to make it clear that they were referring to the 1st season & not the 2nd season.)

Major TV Character Deaths of 2014
http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/sleepy-hollow/major-tv-character-deaths-of-2014-6765.aspx

35.) Captain Frank Irving

The Best Feminist TV Characters of 2014
http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/sleepy-hollow/the-best-feminist-tv-characters-of-2014-87519.aspx

21.) Abbie Mills

Edited by Moonsky
  • Love 3

The media has started to put out their end of the year entertainment list. Below is BuddyTV’s Sleepy Hollow related rankings for 2014.

TV’s 100 Sexiest Men of 2014

http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/sleepy-hollow/tvs-100-sexiest-men-of-2014-81804.aspx

63.) Matt Barr

100.) Tom Mison

TV’s 100 Sexiest Women of 2014

http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/the-walking-dead/tvs-100-sexiest-women-of-2014-54390.aspx

3.) Nicole Beharie

79.) Lyndie Greenwood

I like how Katia Winter didn't even make the "sexiest" list despite all the male lust over her on the show. It's fitting that both Nicole and Lyndie made the cut,

• Love 6

I'd take their rankings more seriously if they'd spell their categories right;  "sexist" is not the same as "sexiest".

Eh - typo.

I really liked that list - probably the first one where they were truly representative of all women across multiple ethnicities... no tokens there, imo...

TV Guide's Matt Roush Ask Matt Column. No spoilers here so I won't tag. It's all vague information, but still made me laugh. Published Dec 15th. Some really good information about other TV shows too.

Note how the question does not specifically refer to the name Katrina, yet the response.....

Question: Please tell me that the dreaded Crane family drama hour on Sleepy Hollow is over? I was very disappointed with the first half of this season and I am looking forward to the second half if only it gets back to the first season formula. Also, any news on a renewal, and if heads will roll for the decline in ratings and upset of fans this year? — Tina

Matt Roush: My, what a bloodthirsty reaction — although given this show's proclivity for beheadings, perhaps perfectly in keeping. What we're witnessing in Sleepy Hollow is a classic sophomore slump, more noticeable than some because the first season was such a breakout hoot, and much of the second such a drag (except I've lost none of my affection for Ichabod and his rants against 21st-century excesses). It's possible there could be a housecleaning to bring new writer-producers on board, though I've heard nothing to that effect, but even if the show can't entirely redeem itself by the season finale, I can't imagine Fox will bail on it just yet. Nor, for that matter, should we. Although I wouldn't blame you if you saw a plot description for another Katrina-centric hour.

I think at this point I'm just enjoying the schadenfreude of the whole Katrina fallout.

• Love 6

I think at this point I'm just enjoying the schadenfreude of the whole Katrina fallout.

At this point, Fox can't ignore what Goffman and Winters have done to their show.  I expect one gone before the break is over, and I wouldn't be surprised if the other is gone by the end of the season.

• Love 2

Seriously, it wasn't even this bad when Mad Men became Mad Men Loves Megan, because even Jessica Pare/Megan had fans/critics on her side. Here, it's almost a universal pan with both the critics and the fans.

Then again, Mad Men had four season of building up respect/good will from fans and the critics, before becoming a mixed bag, and even then there were still good things going on. You don't have that here. EVERYTHING is forced into Crane Family Drama. I think that's why the critics/media are turning on the show pretty fast. Katia Winters also doesn't seem like she had the innate likeability of Jessica Pare, which is something that always translated with her.

The Katrina comparison on Buzzfeed was pretty food. That's a good way of describing it.

Edited by methodwriter85

It's fan-created art. I take it you don't like it . . . Looks cute to me. :(

Hi!  

The art is very cute, but compare the skin tone she used for Frank compared with that for Abbie.  

This falls into the #NotTooBlack problem.  The art itself is cute, but Nicole Beharie doesn't look like that: Orlando+Jones+Sleepy+Hollow+Press+Line+C

• Love 1

All of her characters are cartoon versions that don't look too much like the real actors. They're not quite caricatures, but they're close. She certainly doesn't do "portrait" work like the artist we recently posted who prepared an incredible version of Stephen Colbert. The artist makes cartoons/pins/stuffed animals - https://www.etsy.com/shop/quietsnooze?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav. She graciously allowed TVJuriste to use the images on the site.

Yes, Nicole is far more beautiful than the cartoon. The coloring doesn't seem to be too far off, though; Nicole is slightly lighter than Orlando and she has orange/yellow undertones whereas Orlando has olive undertones. (I was a fan of the dearly-missed Prescriptives makeup which taught me a bit about undertones).

I dont' think there's anything political in the cartoons or an attempt to whitewash/lighten anyone.

Frankly, her version of Ichabod is much paler version than Mison - http://www.tvjuriste.com/sleepy-hollow-recaps-insane-in-the-membrane-for-crane/.

Edited by TV Juriste

All of her characters are cartoon versions that don't look too much like the real actors. . She graciously allowed TVJuriste to use the images on the site.

Yes, Nicole is far more beautiful than the cartoon. The coloring doesn't seem to be too far off, though; Nicole is slightly lighter than Orlando and she has orange/yellow undertones whereas Orlando has olive undertones. (I was a fan of the dearly-missed Prescriptives makeup which taught me a bit about undertones).

It's probably more my issue than anything else, and I appreciate your responses.  

One thing I like about SH is that Abbie and Jennie aren't "somewhat black" (like Beyonce and Zoe Saldana), but are clearly black.  So when I saw Abbie portrayed  more like "somewhat black", it triggered a responce.

Again, more my issue than yours or the artist's but I wanted you to know what prompted my comment.

• Love 3

All of her characters are cartoon versions that don't look too much like the real actors. They're not quite caricatures, but they're close. She certainly doesn't do "portrait" work like the artist we recently posted who prepared an incredible version of Stephen Colbert. The artist makes cartoons/pins/stuffed animals - https://www.etsy.com/shop/quietsnooze?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav. She graciously allowed TVJuriste to use the images on the site.

I dont' think there's anything political in the cartoons or an attempt to whitewash/lighten anyone.

Frankly, her version of Ichabod is much paler version than Mison - http://www.tvjuriste.com/sleepy-hollow-recaps-insane-in-the-membrane-for-crane/.

It may be a bit light, but I think the cartoon is cute. :)

I used to love Prescriptives! I'm a caramel shade with an olive undertone, so finding foundation is the bane if my existence. I haven't tried to buy anything from them since the company was resurrected, but I believe they are even offering custom blends now online.

• Love 1

That synopsis is really Katrina heavy and the focus till seems to be on CFD. Not feeling it. The comments under that article are full of Katrina stans. Abbie is not even mentioned.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 2

That synopsis is really Katrina heavy and the focus till seems to be on CFD. Not feeling it. The comments under that article are full of Katrina stans. Abbie is not even mentioned.

Abbie is not mentioned in the comments or the synopsis? She is mentioned in the synopsis several times - these guys sometimes refer to her as Mills, not Abbie. And of course Ichabod is not mentioned that much too, so there you are. And yes, this site and its comment have lots of people who like the witch. It does seem Katrina heavy, but we knew that going in about the back half of the season. These episode were already filmed and completed before the fallout.

Besides, you never know - if by chance they take the time to finish the whole CFD arc this season, then end the drama before next season (??) then good. I could actually take that, because it's done, over with, no more. I would write off season 2 completely and hope for three and beyond.

Oh man, Tom Mison looks so attractive on the show, whether with his (fake?) hair tied back or flopping loose, but  he looks, kind of... silly with it gelled up.

Yes, he wears a wig on the show. I think Crane is Mr. Hottie but I've seen Mison on several talk shows and really don't know how I feel about him "in real life." He's still good looking, but there is something about him as the character Crane ... yowza. It is especially odd to see Mison wearing the poofed hair and tennis shoes, it's so Un-Crane-like!

I am so so sorry to be repetitive, but I do not care about Abraham's humanity. If it's restored OR if is NOT, and further if Katrina is doing this because she wuffs him. In either case I predict she will be unsuccessful. Because that's her thing: failing spectacularly.

• Love 4

Abbie is not mentioned in the comments or the synopsis? She is mentioned in the synopsis several times - these guys sometimes refer to her as Mills, not Abbie. And of course Ichabod is not mentioned that much too, so there you are. And yes, this site and its comment have lots of people who like the witch. It does seem Katrina heavy, but we knew that going in about the back half of the season. These episode were already filmed and completed before the fallout.

Besides, you never know - if by chance they take the time to finish the whole CFD arc this season, then end the drama before next season (??) then good. I could actually take that, because it's done, over with, no more. I would write off season 2 completely and hope for three and beyond.

Abbie is mentioned all right --with Ichabod. She's a lead character but still has no story arc outside of the main plot with Ichabod.

Katrina on the other hand is supposedly a supporting character but --unlike other supporting cast (i.e. Jenny. Irving, Hawley) --her screen time is not limited. Judging from that synopsis she still has a major plot arc and screen time apart from the lead characters. It's frustrating because her story is boring and  taking time away from what should be the main plot of the Witnesses solving mysteries and saving the world. I don't care about Henry or Abraham's redemption at this point. I need them off my screen so we can get back the premise were sold in Season 1.

Imagine the X-files if the plot detoured from Mulder and Scully solving mysteries and instead covered Mulder's wife helping her ex through rehab or something. Imagine that side story talking up nearly half the plot on each show. Needless to say, I don't think the X-files would have lasted nearly as long.

Edited by savinggrace
  • Love 11

Episode 2.12 - Paradise Lost - Episode Synopsis.

Looks decent - has potential. And can we just please end that bloody marriage once and for all. Pleasekthx.

However, looks like Katrina may actually be doing something useful for once. Finally. This is an endeavour that needs to succeed and I am happy to see it being addressed.

IA, this looks promising.  No Henry and no lovey-dovey Cranes.  While Ichabod and Katrina being at odds with each other makes perfect sense, it's not going to help Goffman's "But they're so in love!" spiel.  Could FOX be stepping in?

I just wish Abbie had more to do.  I know she's not supposed to get a focal episode until the season finale (eat shit, Goffman) but I hope she's not just in sidekick territory until then.  Same with Jenny.  

• Love 3
I just wish Abbie had more to do.  I know she's not supposed to get a focal episode until the season finale (eat shit, Goffman) but I hope she's not just in sidekick territory until then.

My cynical side says that the Abbie centric stuff coming in late in the season represents a course correction.  Most of the episodes were already in the can before the negative fan/critic reaction to the season began to swell and before the #AbbieMillsDeservesBetter campaign.  I am betting if we do see a stronger, more focused Abbie toward the end than we've seen all season it because it is in response to the criticism and/or possible Network intervention.

• Love 5

I am betting if we do see a stronger, more focused Abbie toward the end than we've seen all season it because it is in response to the criticism and/or possible Network intervention.

Very likely.  I'll be glad of it regardless of the reason.

• Love 5