Type keyword(s) to search

Sleepy Hollow in the Media

Thanks to everyone for the response to that query of mine. I appreciate it!

For myself, I continue to enjoy the show but am disappointed in it not living up to its potential. I think there is something special about the show or at least some of the characters that grabbed so many of us and the anger and dismay recently is a reflection-not of hatred-but of betrayed love (or at least affection). If the show was pure crap, we wouldn't feel so strongly about it. Apathy is the opposite of love, not anger/hate. 

That being said, I STILL see potential and I still continue to enjoy the show. Any effect on the show and writers due to the recent fan response will be seen at the end of the season or season 3 it appears… I'm looking forward to the mid-season finale, to tell the truth. I have the feeling it will be much more season one-ish, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Love 3

And yet another comic cover that DOES NOT GET IT.  The writers really think we're stupid don't they?

https://www.comixology.com/Sleepy-Hollow-2/digital-comic/164098

Katrina is LARGER than Abbie!??!  That should NEVER HAPPEN EVER ON ANYTHING to do with Sleepy Hollow.  And people wonder why POC are so sensitive and protective of characters of color - it's because this kind of ish happens way too much.  It's exhausting sometimes.

• Love 2

Well, NB is a wee thing (5' 1") and KW is bigger than that (5' 8ish")....which made the scene in Heartless where Abbie is helping Katrina out of the crypt hysterical...but POC or not, I'd say this comic book is a POS.

On the plus side, Abbie looked more like Abbie in the 2nd issue than on the 1st.  On the 1st she looked vaguely latino.

Well, NB is a wee thing (5' 1") and KW is bigger than that (5' 8ish")....which made the scene in Heartless where Abbie is helping Katrina out of the crypt hysterical...but POC or not, I'd say this comic book is a POS.

On the plus side, Abbie looked more like Abbie in the 2nd issue than on the 1st.  On the 1st she looked vaguely latino.

If this is the same comic book I've seen other people mention elsewhere, then want some more irony? The story is littered with tons of Ichabbie shipper moments. Tons apparently. Like Crane offers to make Abbie dinner. He asks her to dance. He sings some semi-romantic song to her, apparently one of them gets injured somehow and the other one cradles the first in their lap? What the fuck? Why can't this be in the REAL show. *sigh*

I don't read comics, so those in the know can educate me -- are the storylines in comics that are based on a TV show completely independent on what's going on in the actual show? Like, does the story itself have to be approved by SH showrunners, or by FOX themselves, etc, or can they just do their own thing. Because there is a massive disconnect between the stories in the comic (and intimacy between the mains), and the TV show itself. It's jarring. And disappointing (and depressing).

An article with Goffman about how basically they use shipper bait, but never plan on answering legit fan questions... read: they don't care.

This show is so done - it's gonna be a Katrina-fest until cancelation.

Goffman: “I don’t know that necessarily we are changing story lines or even putting in dialogue, but we try to find little Easter eggs that they are going to pick up on, to reward people paying close attention, to give them something to talk about. As opposed to trying to necessarily address like, ‘When are we going to see more of Jenny?’ or ‘When are Abbie and Crane going to hook up?’ ”

http://observer.com/2014/11/tv-writers-and-showrunners-increasingly-mute-the-fans/

I really cannot stand Goffman. He claims they don't listen to fans, but then claims that he gave Katrina more storyline because "fans" demanded it? He's so full of it.

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 1

An article with Goffman about how basically they use shipper bait, but never plan on answering legit fan questions... read: they don't care.

Goffman: “I don’t know that necessarily we are changing story lines or even putting in dialogue, but we try to find little Easter eggs that they are going to pick up on, to reward people paying close attention, to give them something to talk about. As opposed to trying to necessarily address like, ‘When are we going to see more of Jenny?’ or ‘When are Abbie and Crane going to hook up?’ ”

http://observer.com/2014/11/tv-writers-and-showrunners-increasingly-mute-the-fans/

I really cannot stand Goffman. He claims they don't listen to fans, but then claims that he gave Katrina more storyline because "fans" demanded it? He's so full of it.

Can someone point me towards where he mentioned this? I'd really be interested in reading/seeing it, given his response in this article.

Oh no. Stuff like this makes it very difficult for me to stick to my plan of recording the rest of the season, watching when I can (with liberal use of the fast forward button), and hoping for a course correction in season 3 (if there is a season 3).

I really don't understand how show runners can plead shock at negative fan reaction when they completely change the tone and direction of the show. We started watching one show, and we loved it. We couldn't wait for season 2. Then they totally destroy the show and marvel at the angry fans and wonder why a large number stopped watching.

And the best part is that they say that they don't care about what the fans want...this is the story they want to tell. That would have been fine if that had been evident from day 1. However, so few people would have watched that show that you never would have seen a season 2. Show runners, your story is bad. Really, really bad. Your only hope is to return to the gem that was season 1. If not, enjoy your ratings free fall and eventual cancellation.

• Love 5

Yeesh - I'd have to search back through a lot... it was in an article waaaaaaay back - I want to say it was May? He was out doing a ton of promotion and he's quoted as saying fans wanted more Katrina.

It might be in this thread... I'll look for it and see if I can find it.

Yeesh - I'd have to search back through a lot... it was in an article waaaaaaay back - I want to say it was May? He was out doing a ton of promotion and he's quoted as saying fans wanted more Katrina.

Oh, don't go through all that trouble Phoenics, I'll come across it sooner or later. I just thought someone might know where it is off the top of their head. But boy, what a 180 degree turn in policy that is for Groffman, isn't it?

Edited by Sepia
  • Love 1

What fans? The 10% who like Katrina? Certainly not me. Please - I would rather have her killed off, or at least become evil and Ichabod realizing this and moving on...What bloody fans are these? (the ones that will get the show cancelled).

Ugh. Every - every - article about Sleepy Hollow last year talked about the amazing chemistry between Abbie/Beharie and Ichabod/Mison. Every One. Most of those articles also mentioned that they thought Katrina shady, or at least a downer to the show. So what the fuck is Goffman and his little minions reading? Not what I'm reading apparently.

The only thing - the only thing - I can positively say, is that if the show gets the third season, is that the demon pregnancies and the Katrina bullshit and all of the mess of CFD will be done. There will be no more, so the show can move onto other more important and interesting things.

If they get the third season.

I actually think the show pretty much should get a third season, barring a bigger rating drop. Pretty much none of their new shows this year took off, Glee is ending, Bones looks like it's going to end, American Idol is no longer the powerhouse it once was, and this doesn't look like an expensive show to produce. It'll get a third season, but I bet it'll be reduced back to 13 episodes.

Fox is probably going to force them to end the Family Crane drama like they forced Glee to end the Newbies story. That will be the one case of network interference I'll welcome. To think I thought they were to blame for this when it was really the showrunners all along.

• Love 6

I actually think the show pretty much should get a third season, barring a bigger rating drop. Pretty much none of their new shows this year took off, Glee is ending, Bones looks like it's going to end, American Idol is no longer the powerhouse it once was, and this doesn't look like an expensive show to produce. It'll get a third season, but I bet it'll be reduced back to 13 episodes.

Fox is probably going to force them to end the Family Crane drama like they forced Glee to end the Newbies story. That will be the one case of network interference I'll welcome. To think I thought they were to blame for this when it was really the showrunners all along.

Oh, I hope you are right. Come on Fox, lets fix this mess! (Wow, this might just be a sign of the end times...I'm actually rooting for Network Interference!)

• Love 2

Oh, don't go through all that trouble Phoenics, I'll come across it sooner or later. I just thought someone might know where it is off the top of their head. But boy, what a 180 degree turn in policy that is for Groffman, isn't it?

Eh - I think he has one rule for characters he likes and another rule for Abbie, lol.

ETA: I did spend about 30 minutes looking, but I just tried googling. Couldn't find it. I know it exists because when I read it I had a rage blackout! LOL. I'll come and post it here when I find it.

Edited by phoenics

I think that if the show keeps pushing Katia Winter to the forefront and forcing her on fans, there will be another ratings drop. I worry about fans coming back after the winter finale actually.

Lord I hope Fox forces them to shut that ish down! And yeah - I thought the same thing until some kind fans clued me in! I'm so used to it being the networks who screw with a show that I just assumed. But nope! Goffman!

I remember that the writers wanted to keep Abbie in Purgatory longer (probably to push Ichatrina more on us) - but FOX put the kibosh on it. I actually hope FOX is paying attention to the unrest and preparing to fire Goffman - I lay all of our woes at his inept feet. Clearly they weren't onboard with his original plan for S2 - and they forced him to put Ichabbie back together faster - I really hope they are looking at the criticism and forcing Goffman to end the CFD and the Katrina-focus that is destroying the ratings.

• Love 1

Moved to relationship thread.

WRT interference, I always go back and forth on it.

Sometimes I wish they had done what they originally intended to do because there would have been focus on Abbie's backstory sooner (Let's be honest, purgatory feels like a dropped storyline. It's even weird to talk about the trauma of it all because she was in there for less than a day. Unless when they revisit it, they say it felt like months to her and it took her a while to get out of that dollhouse) and they wouldn't have felt the necessity to push Katrina so much and would have written her better as opposed to a carbon cutout of the sci-fi woman complete with every stereotype of the genre thrown at her.

Other times, I trust their judgement so little that I'm thinking it could have been way worse but I can't picture worse in my mind. The thing is, I liked all of the episodes by themselves. It's just that they don't hold scrutiny in terms of character development or when looking at them as part of the season long arc.

Edited by fantique

Great question.

I don't really ship Ichabbie right now (I have serious issues with Ichabod right now and am almost hate-shipping Abbie with anyone else in retaliation, lol) - but IF TPTB wanted to reel the fans back in, I don't think a rushed pairing would work.

I think that they have to actually respect it. As it is, it feels like the fans they respect aren't even Ichatrina fans - but fans who simply DON'T WANT ICHABBIE. I feel like Katrina/Ichatrina is literally for those fans (though I do believe that there are legit fans of Ichatrina/Katrina who really do just like her/them and are frustrated with how it's written). I believe it's for those fans because the writers almost seem to be using the pairing as a way to stick it to the Ichabbie fans. I hate that.

But back to my point - I think that if they want to reel Ichabbie fans back, they have to respect it. They cannot just shove them together and think that will work. Abbie should have serious reservations about Ichabod right now. He's a Class A A-Hole right now. And until the writers acknowledge that in some way shape or form, it won't work just shoving them together. Ichabod has to acknowledge his assholery. He has to PAY for his serious lack of judgment. He has to suffer an epic loss for putting the world in danger.

I keep wondering - where is the heavenly input to all of this? God apparently created Witnesses to stop all of this - but we never see anything from Heaven course-correcting the Witnesses. The only supernatural stuff we've seen is from Team Evil. There has to be some kind of repercussion for Ichabod's behavior. Abbie is all about stopping the End of the World - while Ichabod constantly puts her at risk dealing with his CFD. That has to be addressed and Ichabod has to be brought low and humbled.

As for Ichabbie - they do have amazing chemistry. But I'm just not feeling it right now - I'd feel like Abbie was getting a booby prize. But perhaps I could warm up to it.

And as for shipping Ichatrina just to keep Ichabbie apart - I actually understand it. Here is a case in point. I was not an Olicity fan. In fact, I find Felicity to be a complete Mary Sue character - primarily for fan service. I actually hated Olicity and did not want it to become canon at all. I didn't ship Lauriver because of Olicity - I liked Lauriver before that - but I did NOT want Olicity. AT all.

I hated the promos leading up to S3 all focused on Olicity. I hated the focus on EBR (who I still don't think is the best actress). I hated all of the hate directed at Katie Cassidy. I hated that the show hadn't already made her BC. But once they gave me Laurel this season working to become BC and her scenes with Wildcat (talk about chemistry), I felt better. And then - suddenly - I was fine with Olicity. Because I didn't see them taking something that belonged to Katie Cassidy and doing the full on bait and switch. I hate it when I see actresses get a lead role and then the writers bait and switch, shoving another actress in front of her. Just give that actress the opportunity to exit the show and find something else that works for her if you're going to replace her on her own show. That's probably my issue with Ichatrina - It feels like the writers are trying to bait and switch me and the constant efforts to try to "side kick" Abbie in her own story, making her "equal" to Katrina just bothers the hell out of me.

But now? I actually like Olicity. EBR has grown on me a ton - and I feel the Olicity angst. It still feels a bit contrived to me as fan service - BUT - the last episode sold it for me. It sold Oliver's feelings for her and it sold hers for his, but it also gave her agency in rejecting anything less than Oliver coming to her to tell her his feelings, not Diggle (though I hated how they used him in the eppy like he was some kind of messenger bird). I felt for the hardcore Olicity shippers when Oliver saw the Atom Kiss.

My point is - if the show is going to do Ichabbie - they can't rush it. It has to be a slow burn - but they have to respect it. No more swipes at fans. Respect the ship - but also support the ship! If Ichabbie is end game, then you have to drop some hints in the writing that you might go there. Not Easter Eggs that mean nothing to the show canon (and nothing to regular fans) - but actual moments that build up to an actual romance. Otherwise, just decide you aren't going to go there (Ichabbie) and give Abbie an EPIC love story that blows Ichatrina out of the water (which it would).

I think one of the things that ticks me off about Goffman's "Easter Egg" comment is that when you drop those - it means NOTHING to show canon. Nothing. The show can go with it or without it - which means it has no bearing on the plot at all. It's just bait. Plus, for fans who "fear" Ichabbie - they don't even see it. It's playing Ichabbie fans on the side, while keeping the fans you really care about happy and "sure that Ichabbie won't happen".

So - until they stop with the Easter Eggs and actually make the hints CANON, then I don't want Ichabbie - because that means it would only be rushed.

• Love 2

I have a question for active Ichabbie shippers: did you guys expect more of a slow burn, endgame type of thing or a "I want them together right now"? Because I hate when shows over-correct and feel the need to do something about chemistry they weren't expecting. Either by doing anything they can to detract from it or fast forwarding to the relationship part of the couple's evolution.

Ideally, Katrina would have been killed off in the season 1 finale as planned.  I wanted them to just grow closer slowly while the Apocalypse story played out.  I would have written Ichabod and Abbie as basically unaware of what's happening except for a few moments here and there where we see they or one of them does know but are in denial or something like that.  They continue the flirty banter and the scenes where Ichabod and Abbie are so comfortable with each other that they seem like they're an old married couple. I wanted the show to really delve into the characters (Ichabod, Abbie, Jenny and Irving and family). Then toward the end of season 4, something should happen to make them realize that they can't keep pretending that they don't romantically love each other.  Then in season 5, I would've had Abbie be the one resistant to a romance with Ichabod trying to convince her to allow him to court her since Abbie is the one who has a problem letting people in so she won't get hurt.  This is playing out in the backdrop as they are still fighting the Horsemen, Moloch or whomever.

The romance would always be secondary to the main storyline.  The show shouldn't be too heavy handed with it.  The chemistry between Tom and Nicole makes that unnecessary.

But now that Ichabod is an asshat, I'm just conflicted about the whole thing.  I just know that the show needs to get back to the Apocalypse; give Ichabod back his brain, manners and good taste (which means getting Katrina away from him--hopefully in death); give Abby POV and a relevance that befits a co-lead; restore Irving and Jenny to their previous roles, and then it should go from there.

• Love 3

I think one of the things that ticks me off about Goffman's "Easter Egg" comment is that when you drop those - it means NOTHING to show canon. Nothing. The show can go with it or without it - which means it has no bearing on the plot at all. It's just bait. Plus, for fans who "fear" Ichabbie - they don't even see it. It's playing Ichabbie fans on the side, while keeping the fans you really care about happy and "sure that Ichabbie won't happen".

So - until they stop with the Easter Eggs and actually make the hints CANON, then I don't want Ichabbie - because that means it would only be rushed.

So, I think that either I'm confused or Mr. Goffman is.  Aren't "Easter eggs" little details that are woven into the show subtly?  Like the numbers and beer brands on "Once Upon a Time" that I always miss because I didn't watch "Lost"?  Or the little things on "Game of Thrones" that are in-jokes for those of us who read the books?  Those are "Easter eggs," right, because they're hidden unless you are paying attention and have knowledge of certain things?

If he's describing Ichabbie moments as "Easter eggs," I think he's way off base.  Those aren't just subtle details; they are either whole segments (voting conversation) or at least solid moments of characterization ("Wouldn't you like to see me dance!").  As mentioned upthread, they are also so overt that most of the show's press (at least before the wave of "What's wrong with SH?" articles) was about the chemistry between the leads.  For many fans--myself included--they are our few times of sanity and pleasure during increasingly frustrating viewing experiences. 

So, Mr. G, I do not think that phrase means what you think it means.  And, even if I'm wrong and you're right, if your "Easter eggs" are becoming the only reason people sit (or fast forward) through the rest of your show, you've got a problem.

• Love 5

There just isn't a way that I can show my disgust for this man. It is so rare for me to find a show that I really, really love that I can't just completely quit the show. I am so riled up by the obvious attempts by the showrunners to kill it that I actually did what I swore I would never do...I opened a Twitter account and I have posted in the #abbimillsdeservesbetter section a few times.

I know the destroyer quoted above doesn't care at all...but I feel better putting my feelings out there. If even one intern sees it and adds it to the "bummed fans" list shown to TPTB I will feel better.

What a waste...

• Love 3

^They totally deserve it. I hope it drops some more so Goffman and Kim and their sycophant writers get fired.

I wonder how the Ferguson stuff affected ratings. I don't even think they will care about these numbers... they'll just ignore them because of all of the breaking news that disrupted the show.

I wondered about that too.  People knew it was coming, they might have turned to a news channel for the hour to begin with, or after the first interruption turn to the news and never turn back.

I wonder how the Ferguson stuff affected ratings. I don't even think they will care about these numbers... they'll just ignore them because of all of the breaking news that disrupted the show.

Last week tvseiesfinale.com had Gotham at 6.49 million viewers with SH at 4.68 million viewers. 1.81 million viewers watched Gotham, then changed the channel.

Sorry, tvseriesfinale.com

Read the comments  - they are made of win. There are some comments I'm Abbie-Mills-Eye-Rolling big time, but most are good ones that really hit the nail on the head of what's wrong - pretty much everything everyone here says.

And how can I "trust" a showrunner who destroyed my favourite show in a few episodes? And he promises more Katrina...*sigh*

Final Adjusted ratings for Monday. No adjustments for Sleepy, but this week is different due to the Grand Jury / Michael Brown decision. I suspect lots of DVRing and DVR+7 numbers will be really high this week, since some of your feeds were cut off, interrupted, etc.

• Love 1

Last week tvseiesfinale.com had Gotham at 6.49 million viewers with SH at 4.68 million viewers. 1.81 million viewers watched Gotham, then changed the channel.Sorry, tvseriesfinale.com

That's not really how it works. Retention out of the lead in was essentially the same for the two weeks you're focusing on, as a matter of fact, it might have improved (don't feel like doing the math). No show has 100% retention out of its lead in. Not saying the show doesn't suck now, as I think it does, but just reciting numbers doesn't tell the entire story as there is a presumption that the two shows completely share the same audience. It could be that 2 million folks turned off after Gotham while a new group of folks turned on SH. Just saying.

Edited by Iamsweetdee

Dang, is this what they mean when they call it "free-falling?"

This was one of the reasons I was concerned about the show getting more episodes.  By the end of last season, the ratings had really dropped from the first few episodes but the show had already been renewed at that point and was (and for all I know still is) doing great DVR numbers.  Unfortunately, the ratings have continued to drop so all the extra episodes are doing is exposing how weak their ratings really are.

Haha. Love their opening salvo. 

WHO KNOWS WHAT KATRINA CRANE WILL DO NEXT!?!

That is entirely what this show has become, enough of that Witness bullshit let's get back to what everyone cares about: KATRINA.

Edited by blixie

http://tvline.com/2014/11/26/greys-anatomy-transgender-storyline-season-11-travis-spoilers/

Question: Michael, if I promise to send you one of my many Smurf figurines, will you give me some post-hiatus Sleepy Hollow scoop? Pretty please!? —Alyssa
Ausiello: Are we talking silver CB operator- or purple baseball catcher-level Smurfs here, Alyssa? Please note: Your answer will directly affect the level of scoop. Actually, nevermind. Anything for a fellow Smurf enthusiast — unless we’re locked in a heated eBay war, in which case, you’re going down.  Anyway, the Fox series is casting Calvin, a Navy SEAL-turned-photojournalist who’ll be another possible love interest for Abbie. (Hawley haters, commence celebration.) Calvin’s a hometown boy who believes he has a moral obligation to report the truth, no matter what. BONUS SCOOP: The show also will soon bring on founding father Thomas Jefferson, who is described as charismatic and intelligent.

Anyway, the Fox series is casting Calvin, a Navy SEAL-turned-photojournalist who’ll be another possible love interest for Abbie. (Hawley haters, commence celebration.) Calvin’s a hometown boy who believes he has a moral obligation to report the truth, no matter what.

*sigh*. Can't they just EXPAND Jenny and Irving's stories, and get rid of Katrina. Why ANOTHER hiring of some character who'll be here today and gone tomorrow. Though Navy SEAL /phototog sounds cool. At least can they show Abbie spending time with this guy on an actual date, walking along that boardwalk, being intimate, something please...?

As much as I want a love interest for Abbie, Hawley, Orion and now this guy's writeups ALL stated the same thing - potential love interest. Just the show screwing with us again. And of course someone/think who puts more of a wedge between Ichabbie, because you know the whole "Ichabod is jealous" nonsense will be mentioned soon.

ETA: Episode 2.11 - The Akeda - Mid Season Finale Movie Trailer.

• Love 3
Read the comments  - they are made of win. There are some comments I'm Abbie-Mills-Eye-Rolling big time, but most are good ones that really hit the nail on the head of what's wrong - pretty much everything everyone here says.

The comments are fabulous.  And I love that they are being said on Entertainment Weekly site, a place with a lot of eyes.  But that interview, gah!  So delusional.

• Love 2

*sigh*. Can't they just EXPAND Jenny and Irving's stories, and get rid of Katrina. Why ANOTHER hiring of some character who'll be here today and gone tomorrow. Though Navy SEAL /phototog sounds cool. At least can they show Abbie spending time with this guy on an actual date, walking along that boardwalk, being intimate, something please...?

As much as I want a love interest for Abbie, Hawley, Orion and now this guy's writeups ALL stated the same thing - potential love interest. Just the show screwing with us again. And of course someone/think who puts more of a wedge between Ichabbie, because you know the whole "Ichabod is jealous" nonsense will be mentioned soon.

ETA: Episode 2.11 - The Akeda - Mid Season Finale Movie Trailer.

All I'm getting out of this casting news is "We are never putting Abbie with Ichabod so suck it Ichabbie shippers!"

• Love 1

Here's a nice promo. Apologies but I can't seem to embed it.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2014/11/sleepy-hollow-episode-211-akeda-mid_26.html

Just watched this (which is much longer and exciting than the Youtube promo BTW). Lots of things to speculate about and I have to admit the episode looks awesome! But there was a bit with Tom Mison doing his "hand thing" again in the classic Pantocrator pose--even had his hair down. I'm referring to this BTW, http://www.katapi.org.uk/images/Art/ChristPantocrator-Sinai800h.jpg  Ichabod had his left hand up though. I wonder if the hand thing is intentional or just "acting"?

ETA: My personal opinion is that it's just "acting"---something TM does as a quirk of Ichabod's, but given that the premise of the show is based on the book of Revelation from the Christian Bible, there could be some significance to this down the road. 

Edited by RiddleyWalker

But there was a bit with Tom Mison doing his "hand thing" again in the classic Pantocrator pose--even had his hair down. I'm referring to this BTW, Ichabod had his left hand up though. I wonder if the hand thing is intentional or just "acting"?

ETA: My personal opinion is that it's just "acting"---something TM does as a quirk of Ichabod's, but given that the premise of the show is based on the book of Revelation from the Christian Bible, there could be some significance to this down the road.

Ha! Appropriate since Crane/Mison with long hair looks like Jesus! Love it.

It's a deliberate thing, the hand thing. Mison has said it's a deliberate choice. The most uncomfortable Crane is, the more twitchy Crane's hands get. But he's also very demonstrative with the hands.