Type keyword(s) to search

Reel to Real: Backstage, Twitter, & All Media Dram-ugh

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

And it wasn't bad enough that they trashed Kay's house, they had this arrogant, carpetbagging, pretender Billy screw his brother's wife on the very spot JC said her last words on the show. AFAIC, Billy could've whipped it out and peed on the stairs and it wouldn't have been any more disrespectful. You gotta wonder what JFP was thinking (or if she gave it any thought at all). Whatever, bye bish.

This. I didn't mind the redecorating because if they were going to use the set, well, quite frankly it did need a little modernizing. (But not that gawdawful grey paint job) But to give Catherine's house to the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen on this show was such a fucking slap in the face as to be not only a firing offense, but something that could incite actual violence.Since Pharren Phuckup is gone then I hope to never see JT besmudge my screen in any capacity ever again. I want him OUT. Shit I'd rather have Nosferautu himself living in that house, at least he knew and loved Catherine and she loved him.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

This. I didn't mind the redecorating because if they were going to use the set, well, quite frankly it did need a little modernizing. (But not that gawdawful grey paint job) But to give Catherine's house to the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen on this show was such a fucking slap in the face as to be not only a firing offense, but something that could incite actual violence.Since Pharren Phuckup is gone then I hope to never see JT besmudge my screen in any capacity ever again. I want him OUT. Shit I'd rather have Nosferautu himself living in that house, at least he knew and loved Catherine and she loved him.

Oh, peaches, you dear optimistic thing!

While procrastinating from marking I scan Twitter, and, JT/GoawayyourenotBilly immediately tweeted Mal Young a big suck-up howdy.

• Love 10
(edited)
13 minutes ago, pearlite said:

Oh, peaches, you dear optimistic thing!

While procrastinating from marking I scan Twitter, and, JT/GoawayyourenotBilly immediately tweeted Mal Young a big suck-up howdy.

I saw that. Lol. He outed his scared as shit ass.

22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I agree. Who the FUCK is Patrick Drake to be living and fucking in that house? Cane has more right. And I hate Cane.

Edited by miamama
  • Love 13

Isn't it funny days before they canned her ass HK moved on? And some of her other faves were killed off or put on reccuring. SB and JT and Pratt have to be shitting their pants right now. 

This is actually a really good sign the network wants to save this soap and cares about it. 

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

If those nerf herders at CBS really want to save this show, they will definitely get rid of Pratt. If he wants to do Prime Time so badly, let him write for one of their pets like Two Broke girls. *gag*

The reason Pratt left GH back at the end of 2005 was to take on a prime time show-writing opportunity.  I think he's always had a chip on his shoulder about having to fall back on writing for a daytime show when whatever prime time gig he had he was fired from, or the show was canceled.  That he sees himself as too cool for daytime.  I do not know why JFP hired him this go around.  She had to know it wouldn't end well.  Strange.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, I read a funny somewhere it said "you killed Maureen Bauer & Frankie Frame but when you killed Kathrine Chancelors house you were done (something to that affect). The changing of the mansion really set people off but I do have one question. Does a change like that have to be signed off by someone higher than JFP or is it decision alone? Just curious. Anyway, it was time for her to go. She was a hack and CBS knew it. Now, I'm sure the cast will say all the PC stuff and welcome in the new victim. How many has this been since the death of Bill Bell?

Based on what TLG's Highlight Hollywood piece, it probably had to be made well above AMcD's head (and probably Margo Wayne's FWIW), because the article said AMcD's on tenterhooks about her own job, but Garrett is a ride-or-die Bell family cheerleader and, specifically, MAB's staunchest supporter in the soap press (which doesn't exactly give him a lot of cred insofar as overall objective perspective), but I'm sure he's privy to inside dope. Garrett, made mention of AMcD being willing to "throw others under the bus" to save her own skin, and in reality I've never met an executive/boss/supervisor who wasn't, but my overall impression has been that CBS's daytime lineup has been performing better during the three or so years she's been its Veep. Interestingly, the article made a point of mentioning that Les Moonves himself may be having more than a few sleepless nights now that CBS has changed hands. It mentioned Sumner Redstone, who is said to want Moonves's job, and this may be the simple explanation as to why Y&R was only renewed a year beyond its contract expiration. If the network itself has moved into other hands, perhaps they didn't have the power to make any additional commitments, and overall, I'd say that may portend an ominous future for the show beyond its year extension.

• Love 3
(edited)

Ignore me, I'm just over here like . . .

dancingcheerleader.gif

JFPee is a start but UpChuck has to go, too, before we'll see any real improvement. And the FOJ's can go with them.

Edited by Garnett7
  • Love 16
32 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Based on what TLG's Highlight Hollywood piece, it probably had to be made well above AMcD's head (and probably Margo Wayne's FWIW), because the article said AMcD's on tenterhooks about her own job, but Garrett is a ride-or-die Bell family cheerleader and, specifically, MAB's staunchest supporter in the soap press (which doesn't exactly give him a lot of cred insofar as overall objective perspective), but I'm sure he's privy to inside dope. Garrett, made mention of AMcD being willing to "throw others under the bus" to save her own skin, and in reality I've never met an executive/boss/supervisor who wasn't, but my overall impression has been that CBS's daytime lineup has been performing better during the three or so years she's been its Veep. Interestingly, the article made a point of mentioning that Les Moonves himself may be having more than a few sleepless nights now that CBS has changed hands. It mentioned Sumner Redstone, who is said to want Moonves's job, and this may be the simple explanation as to why Y&R was only renewed a year beyond its contract expiration. If the network itself has moved into other hands, perhaps they didn't have the power to make any additional commitments, and overall, I'd say that may portend an ominous future for the show beyond its year extension.

I have to correct mis-information in that piece.  Specifically the Les Moonves situation.  Les is head of CBS.  CBS is doing fine, actually, under Les' leadership.  Redstone has a majority ownership stake in CBS, but he's go no beef with Moonves.  Redstone's drama involves the other media network he owns.  That is Viacom.  Redstone fired the head of Viacom and that guy is suing Redstone to get his job back.  Viacom is in sad shape, while CBS is doing very well.  There has been talk about Redstone asking Moonves to take on heading up Viacom as well.  Redstone is 93 years old on Friday.  He's in no shape to run anything these days.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

If those nerf herders at CBS really want to save this show, they will definitely get rid of Pratt. If he wants to do Prime Time so badly, let him write for one of their pets like Two Broke girls. *gag*

I think they don't want to buy him out of his contract. It's up in September I think so they're riding it out. I expect to see changes made (that are not within Pratthole's control) before he's out.

I really think $$ is far more central to this than usual because of Sony's big troubles. This is why I have hopes we will see less (hopefully none) of SB and JT. Their sugar mama no doubt overpaid these losers and I cannot see how their salaries can be justified. (You know, since this ISN'T GH) And JT's episode count since he began is fucking ridiculous. 

Whatever happens the thought of JT/SB/Pratt being nervous makes me laugh. I know that's cruel but IDGAF. This show is not an employment agency for GH castoffs.

• Love 11

Still reeling from JT's shameless tweet. He is a self-professed "dear friend" of JFP (she, who he stated GAVE him this DREAM JOB) and he has nothing to say publicly about her firing? Like thanks to Jill or wish her well or anything? Nope. Because he knows the fans hate her. And he knows she can do NOTHING for him now. Okay, so how about a dignified silence? Nah. Instead, within moments of the confirmation of Mal Young he sends his ass-kissing "I trust you" tweet. What does that mean? You "trust him"? You have been on this show for five minutes so WTF? As though you, newbie, understand the integrity of Y&R and you "trust" the new EP to preserve it. You don't even know how Billy Abbott behaves, asshole. You are part of the HUGE PROBLEM with the show right now.

Also now we can fantasize the end of Luca/Natalie and others who suck. 

This is the moment of hope. Once the new writing etc. kicks in it will suck in different ways. So I'm enjoying it. ;)

• Love 20
2 hours ago, Garnett7 said:

Ignore me, I'm just over here like . . .

dancingcheerleader.gif

JFPee is a start but UpChuck has to go, too, before we'll see any real improvement. And the FOJ's can go with them.

Well, there's this:

• Love 11
(edited)

Judith Chapman posted this at FB...

"THE FRIENDS AND LIFE LONG FANS OF THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS HAVE SPOKEN...CBS AND SONY HAVE FINALLY LISTENED.

Love that she used all CAPS to shout the good news.  Hopefully it won't be long till Pratt is gone too!

Edited by dbklmt
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, coffee drinker said:

I have to correct mis-information in that piece.  Specifically the Les Moonves situation.  Les is head of CBS.  CBS is doing fine, actually, under Les' leadership.  Redstone has a majority ownership stake in CBS, but he's go no beef with Moonves.  Redstone's drama involves the other media network he owns.  That is Viacom.  Redstone fired the head of Viacom and that guy is suing Redstone to get his job back.  Viacom is in sad shape, while CBS is doing very well.  There has been talk about Redstone asking Moonves to take on heading up Viacom as well.  Redstone is 93 years old on Friday.  He's in no shape to run anything these days.  

Thanks for the clarification - actually, edification. That's a little bit reassuring. I didn't fact-check TLG's piece (and I know that he's prone histrionics and overinflated bloviating, if not downright conflation of reality (I thought Viacom was now the owner of NBC/MSNBC. Lately, these alphabet soup networks have been passing through more hands than the swag in a French jewel heist.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, Toomuchsoap said:

Thanks for the clarification - actually, edification. That's a little bit reassuring. I didn't fact-check TLG's piece (and I know that he's prone histrionics and overinflated bloviating, if not downright conflation of reality (I thought Viacom was now the owner of NBC/MSNBC. Lately, these alphabet soup networks have been passing through more hands than the swag in a French jewel heist.

Very true.  I've been following the Viacom drama because of how it affects the CBS stock.  And it hasn't affected CBS at all.  Viacom and CBS used to be part of one company.  They were split up years ago and run by separate CEO's now.  Sony is a real mess, as we all read in that link provided elsewhere.  But CBS is not a problem child, overall.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The changing of the mansion really set people off but I do have one question. Does a change like that have to be signed off by someone higher than JFP or is it decision alone? Just curious. 

I read somewhere that JFP and Pratt didn't tell their bosses they were doing it, and the suits were rightfully pissed. And there is a tweet out there from Angelica McDaniel to a tweeter that "they" weren't fans of the makeover either. She pulled JFP's ho card in that one tweet. 

If Pratt's sorry ass is out the door, I will actually watch again. 

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, Blueeyes said:

This is a fabulous episode.  Enjoyed watching every single second. 

That was amazing. Night and day compared to now. Boy soaps used to be something. In the first ten minutes they already used 6 very detailed sets. The clothing and acting were fabulous and it was all the core characters and authentic drama. 

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Blueeyes said:

This is a fabulous episode.  Enjoyed watching every single second. 

The closed captioning is hilarious (yet it must be incomprehensible if you have to rely on it).  "Mr. Abbott"  turns into "missed a rabbit"!  

• Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, pearlite said:

I don't know how to do a screen capture, so I'll just quote this twit's tweet manually:  

" @malyoung Congrats Mal. I excited to go on this journey with you. I trust you buddy! Let's do it! "

Was an apostrophe and an "m" going to push him over his 180 character limit?   Wow...presumptuous mother-fucker, isn't he?  I really hope the only journey he goes on is the one back to Port Charles.

Edited by Snaporaz
typo
  • Love 10
(edited)

Oh my gods...I'd never been on twitter before, and now I know why.  Aside from being totally asinine, it's an even bigger timesuck rabbit hole than the interwebs in general.  Luca tweeted new guy, too, in ass-licking fashion.  The actor smarms just like his character.

Edited by Snaporaz
spelling
  • Love 8

Dave Bedford ‏@_DaveBedford 18m18 minutes ago
@jamdownrocks Effective immediately. He was fired before his contract was up. However, his work will continue to air until a new HW is found

• Love 6
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Holy shit! Pratt has been fired! 

Whoa. Who is saying Petunia?

I mean besides this Bedford guy?

Edited by miamama
  • Love 1

I just...I don't understand how this could have happened. Where did it all go wrong? How could people with the track records of Phelps and Pratt fail? Do I not understand the complexities and nuances of the entertainment industry? 

I mean, it's like...this one time I got a job in the mail room of a pretty significant banana producing concern. I spent many a carefree day photocopying my buttcheeks and faxing the impressions to corporate. Ca-ching! Promotion! It wasn't long before my aptitude for playing Angry Birds on my phone while ignoring e-mails and calls led to my meteoric rise up the career ladder. Soon I was proposing bold marketing initiatives like attaching two cherries to single bananas and calling it the Penis Package. One customer backlash and media reaming later, our banana boat was sinking, and so the big bosses made the only move they could. Yep. I was vice president and suggesting the very embodiement of celebrity/corporate synergy: Nick Newman in a loin cloth, sans undergarments, suggestively gumming a banana as he swept through the NBA Finals on a vine, his monkey business swinging in the breeze. Sink those balls from the three point arc, Stef Curry! Well, you'd have thought I'd redecorated the Chancellor mansion to look like the world's saddest whorehouse! 

What I'm saying is, I thought I lived in a world where the American dream was still achievable. Fail upward. Get hired at different fruit companies despite a track record of assfaxing. Make fat stacks of cabbage for bleeding customers and cash. Where's the reward anymore for creating fresh new disasters everywhere you land? Godspeed, Jill Farren Phelps and Charles Pratt! Somewhere over the rainbow there's a beloved character in need of sadistic murdering, an iconic set too big for its britches, or a drama with a void where its misogyny should be; you now stand free and ready to answer the call!

• Love 22
(edited)

What an amazing day!  It just might be possible, with everything else going on at Sony, that sending Ferret Phelps to "live on a farm in the country" and hopefully, get Pratt that dream job (my dream for him, not his) developing soaps in North Korea for  Kim Jong-un might have happened soon enough to save the show.  

Maybe THIS time they've both been stopped before they dealt any death blows to Y&R.  It was too late for AMC after what Pratt did, and Ferret Phelps is a bona fide soap serial killer, but maybe, must maybe....THIS time we might actually win??

And at the very least I hope ButtBiscuit loses his parking space, and is busy looking for it when Robert Adamson is brushing up on his parking skills.  I never hated him on GH - just hated GH - but that tweet he sent out......I think he is actually playing himself and 'himself' really is a self-serving, talentless weasel.  Him and the Babaloo, Dullan and Natalie and DUMMER, if there is a soap God, will all dissipate like a crowd of people around Victor after a dinner of Chinese take out from Costco.  

This is great news and man, do we need some.

Edited by boes
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, Garnett7 said:

I'm laughing at the newbies (PrisonDoc) and the FOJs (NeverBilly) sucking up to the new EP on Twitter. Feelings insecure, much?

When I saw the tweets the first thing I thought was kissing butt mush.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, crosby777 said:

Dave Bedford ‏@_DaveBedford 18m18 minutes ago
@jamdownrocks Effective immediately. He was fired before his contract was up. However, his work will continue to air until a new HW is found

This is the best thing I have heard all day Pratt was one of the biggest mistakes and I would assume another FOJ's

• Love 10
15 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

I won't be truly excited until Pratt is gone. 

Me neither.

It doesn't matter if JFP and Pratt leave Y&R. Pariah's like this fall up the stairs, and end up killing some other show. That's their strong suit.

JFP is busy promising her pet pigs she'll take them along to her next Show, while she rolls around in her golden parachute money.

• Love 5

I think it's hilarious that several of JFP's pets are scared but trying not to show it. She must've already told them that her escape pod could only fit one person so they're all on their own. (Except HK but it might've been in CBS' interest to keep her placated.) SB must feel safe too since he hasn't jumped on the suck up train--yet.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think it's hilarious that several of JFP's pets are scared but trying not to show it. She must've already told them that her escape pod could only fit one person so they're all on their own. (Except HK but it might've been in CBS' interest to keep her placated.) SB must feel safe too since he hasn't jumped on the suck up train--yet.

Perhaps, but I don't actually get the feeling that he'd be all that broken up if this gig ended either. And who knows, if JFP knew - and let's face it, she probably did realize it since last summer - that the ice floe she was on was melting fast, she might taken her special boo aside and confided to him that she suspected she was out and to make sure his safety net was fully-deployed. I know that some people get the boot without any suspicion that the jig is up, but a whole lot more have the sneaking suspicion that the ripcord is about to pulled and there's no working silk in the pack.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, since there are more than a few Canadians populating these forums, what might the uninitiated U.S. viewers be in store for with MY at the helm? When I mentioned the BTS to my husband and told him that MY would be the show's new EP, and that he'd been an awarded and successful British primetime soap headwriter, he told me he'd heard of Eastenders. What are the characteristics of his style, generally? My exposure to British dramatic series has been limited to what I've seen on PBS admittedly, but I've caught a few television shows when in Britain. My take has always been that there's a sort of gritty realism, but not unlike the NY-based television shows here, but the focus seems to be slanted to the working class daily grind. If so, I'm fervently hoping that there's not a continuation of this emphasis on working class issues, which seem so totally foreign to Y&R. If that's going to be the norm, CBS might just as well have kept JFP and Pratt on and ridden the old tramp steamer down to the bottom of the deep black abyss. We don't WANT mobsters and 50-year old insta-dicks, and I've seen enough of the inside of a laughable *penitentiary* to last a lifetime (not to mention the 80-year old Mr. Continental in Chains who's supposed to be so irresistible).

Edited by Toomuchsoap
  • Love 7

Someone tweeted at MY awhile back asking what he sees as different between UK soaps and US.

He replied US soaps "aspirational" while UK are real and gritty as you say TMS (can't recall exactly what words he used).

But he gets the difference so I assume he'll respect it.

UK soaps are about working class, average-looking people. But very strong on realistic story and on character. NONE of this doppelgänger, twin shit.

• Love 8

All right, I'm Canadian and I've written a bit about this point before [i.e., British soaps vs. US soaps].

I've watched Coronation Street on and off for decades, and I mean more than two of those... Eastenders, I tried a few times, but it's not for me--a bit grim and kitchen-sink, plus, with a northern English background in my bloodstream, CStreet is more my thing.

To short-form this, UK soaps [like Australian soaps] are character-based, not plot- or event-based. With British TV in general, it's safe to say about three things: (1) it's overall better than North American TV, (2) if you want high-class people or the wealthy, go for the "tea and crumpets" shows [Father Brown, Miss Marple], the historical heaving bosoms stuff [really not my thing], or British Cosy stuff like Downton and so on [again not my thing], (3) ***its soaps are completely character-driven, even to the extent of generations and generations of characters within families playing into plotlines.

Now, as to the kitchen-sink thing, Eastenders is significantly grottier than CStreet, in terms of socio-economic levels and behaviours presented. [Please note: at this point, you may wish to start singing "Who let the professor in?" to the tune of "Who Let the Dogs Out?" Sorry, can't help it here.] But that's immaterial where UK soaps are concerned--I'd assume that Brits just enjoy the flavour of the working-class settings and the opportunities for a wider range of behaviours and ethical choices--i.e., lack of class-based constipation. The "aspirational" tag is just a way that the English would identify the media-driven identity of most US TV products--they're kind of gleaming and glamorous, even if that gleam is sometimes the sheen of bullshit in the moonlight...

Long-winded lecture short--British soaps are as popular world-wide because they're CHARACTER-DRIVEN. It's a very healthy part of the media there. You may want to consider why.

I got the rosary out for Mr Young--starting the decades, sir--don't let me down.

Okay, class dismissed.

• Love 13