Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: XIX

Bort

Glad the show is back and the stakes have continued to rise.

The walls are closing in around the pirates. War is definitely coming.

Great introduction to Blackbeard. He is terrifying while still remaining in control.

Jack having some playing music while he is on the can, don't ever change.

• Love 2

I don't know whether to be deeply impressed by the loyalty of the crew that heard Horngold's offer of free pardons and followed Flint into a storm anyway or to think they've seen enough by this point to know that Flint is seriously just out of fucks to give and would rather not try him.

I appreciate that Silver's transition to peg-leg Treasure Island Silver is not being glossed over. That had to have been an excruciatingly tough thing to recover from and adapt to. I love that Jack is still Jack.

This is shaping up to be a hugely ambitious season as the story expands even as the pirates' world is shrinking. It looks good.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 4

I thought that was okay.  I enjoyed it.  I'm excited the show is back.  But I wasn't hugging myself with glee the way I was over some episodes last season.

They had two new character introductions to get through and a bunch of foreshadowing of what is to come and they accomplished all that.  They needed to remind us of the risk from the unsecured gold and the undefended bay that the broken fort represents so, mission accomplished there.  They needed to demonstrate the changes in relationships that have happened in the what, 3 months? since Vane & Flint blew up Charlestown and I thought that was reasonably well done.  I liked Silver trying to exert some strength in his dealings with Flint since he is now the voice of the crew.  I liked Jack's snipe at Anne, calling Max her "husband."  He's still smarting over that change in their relationship.  I found Jack & Vane's relationship strangely cordial, given all that went down between them but I guess time has healed some of those wounds.  Time and and a whole lotta gold.  Still,  I'm used the Vane being pissed off 24/7 and his anger was less hot in this episode.  He felt "dialed down," for lack of a better term.  My take is that even though he hates the idea of slavery and he's furious at having been made a party to taking slaves as a "prize", nothing will ever provoke him to the state of rage that Eleanor provoked when she betrayed him.  I do look forward to that reunion.  But mostly I think the writers have tried to give Vane's mood more flavors this season.  You can't have the anger dial all the way up to 11 all the time. 

So . . . whose name do you think Eleanor wrote down?  They cut immediately from that scene to a shot of Vane but I think that was a red herring.  I think she wrote down Flint's name.

ETA:  I've just realized that when last we saw our motley crew, Flint was furious to discover that the location of the Urca gold had been sold to another crew.  John Silver was literally cringing in fear in the face of that rage.  Then Season 3 begins and we discover that Vane & Jack are working together to protect the gold and apparently it's going to be split between the crews of both ships.  I get why they fast-forwarded to this moment but that's a heck of a reconciliation / negotiation we missed.  And all through that negotiation John Silver had to pretend that he didn't already have a right to a share of the gold retrieved by Jack.  I do wonder if we'll ever see that negotiation in a flash-back.  I also wonder if Silver's duplicity will ever be revealed. 

Now here's another question.  With all that gold sitting in the fort, why are Flint & Vane still out on the water pirating?  More to the point, how do they still have crews?  Seems like a lot of the crew would say "I'll take my share and be gone now, thankyouverymuch.  Isn't that exactly what Silver was planning to do (before his unfortunate incident?)  Didn't he say he didn't like being a pirate and he would use the gold to start another life?  I understand why Silver is staying on.  He's undergone a bit of a metamorphosis as a result of all he endured (and as a result of the crew's regard for him.)  But why haven't a goodly number of the rest of the crew buggered off with their share of the gold?  They've seen a lot of fellow pirates killed in the last few months.  Why stick around after a major score like that?

Edited by WatchrTina
I don't know whether to be deeply impressed by the loyalty of the crew that heard Horngold's offer of free pardons and followed Flint into a storm anyway or to think they've seen enough by this point to know that Flint is seriously just out of fucks to give and would rather not try him.

When Flint gave his big speech, I said, "Flint's bag is empty, and there's nothing in there for him to give." Flint was right though, there's no way they had that many pardons, and Billy confirmed that to Silver. I also liked Flint not choosing to fight and to sail into the storm. 

I had read Treasure Island in the meantime, and I liked that in the show, Silver was told he was probably going to lose his whole leg. 

I was pleasantly surprised at Jack/Vane. I really liked their scenes, and I liked Ann saying to Max not to make her choose. She's still down with Jack.

The cut to Vane was too obvious to me. I think Elanor wrote down Flint. I mean, we know (unspoiled) that he's got to die at the series end, right? 

So, Blackbeard is Ray Stevenson? Thank you show!

Not much really happened, but that's ok. 

• Love 1

I know it would be hugely anachronistic, but someone should really tell Flint to take a chill pill.

Have they decided Rackam taking a dump should be some kind of season opener tradition? What's up with that.

I had read Treasure Island in the meantime, and I liked that in the show, Silver was told he was probably going to lose his whole leg.

I'm a little surprised it's through his own pride, I thought he'd be smarter than that.

Ann Bonny speaking so many sentences freaks me out, heh. It's like she's a person now!

The name imo was definitely Flint. Vane is almost as fanatical as Flint but Flint imo is smarter, he's more of a threat.

I could actually see the name she wrote as being Vane's.  Her last dealing with Vane was finding her father's body so she's really not his biggest fan.  He also has a history of not playing well with others.  

Historically, we also know Vane was hanged by the authorities not long after the period we're seeing now.

I think a lot of what she has to say about Flint depends on how much she knows about what Flint's been up to since she saw him last.  She's been in prison in London for several months.  Would she have gotten the news there that Flint basically leveled Charleston, killed its governor, and has been terrorizing the magistrates of all the other islands since then?  She's generally gotten along with Flint well enough, but she's also all about saving her own neck now.

I've just realized that when last we saw our motley crew, Flint was furious to discover that the location of the Urca gold had been sold to another crew.  John Silver was literally cringing in fear in the face of that rage.  Then Season 3 begins and we discover that Vane & Jack are working together to protect the gold and apparently it's going to be split between the crews of both ships.  I get why they fast-forwarded to this moment but that's a heck of a reconciliation / negotiation we missed.  And all through that negotiation John Silver had to pretend that he didn't already have a right to a share of the gold retrieved by Jack.  I do wonder if we'll ever see that negotiation in a flash-back.  I also wonder if Silver's duplicity will ever be revealed.

This is something that occurred to me too.  The resolution that everybody's going to work together and share and all will be right with the world feels a little too pat and easy.  If some of their unsecured gold later turns up missing or things go badly with the impending arrival of the British, it's not hard to see that agreement coming apart at the seams.

Edited by nodorothyparker

I can buy that Vane and Flint at least get along a little based on Charleston and Flint going full out pirate. They've both negotiated with Jack before, so I can buy that Flint would be willing to deal with him too. With short series, you have to do jumps like this. 

• Love 3

I can buy that Vane and Flint at least get along a little based on Charleston and Flint going full out pirate. They've both negotiated with Jack before, so I can buy that Flint would be willing to deal with him too. With short series, you have to do jumps like this. 

I think Vane realized, when he was in Charleston, just how "civilization" would treat them.  It made sense to use the gold to arm Nassau, these men were pirates but they weren't stupid.  It's the old, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

• Love 1

Ray Stevenson just makes everything better, and this show was really good to begin with. So that makes this...super better!

Silver has really grown a lot. I am really glad they are not glossing over how much losing your leg, even just part of it (for now) would be a huge adjustment.

I really like that Jack and Vane are teamed up again. Their personalities are both so strong, its interesting to see them play off each other, especially now that it seems like they're on the same page. 

Billy continues to be unbearably hot, even when he is just hanging around doing pirate stuff.

• Love 2

I think Vane realized, when he was in Charleston, just how "civilization" would treat them.  It made sense to use the gold to arm Nassau, these men were pirates but they weren't stupid.  It's the old, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

And Vane likes a good fight. I can also buy that Jack convinced Vane that they stand to get a lot richer by teaming up, and I think Jack is smart enough to realize that Flint is *all in* now, so teaming up is good for everyone. And they're going to be a lot of pirating going on. 

While these would have been interesting scenes, they would have been largely talky, so I can see why they time-jumped and skipped over that. The show has bee good enough, character-wise, that all of this discussion we've been having is based more on inferring what we've seen on the screen, rather than us fanwanking it all. 

• Love 3

I think the time jump was perfect, because now we see the reality of the gold and that maybe the gold isn't the answer to everybody's problems like they thought it was.  Max is always thinking ahead, "if the men won't build the fort, they won't defend it either, so we have to get the gold out."  That makes perfect sense to me.  

I like how the show doesn't gloss over Silver's injury.  It's painful and you feel it.  Also when the doctor told Silver that if the wound worsens he'll have to cut off more of his leg, Silver's face was priceless.  He's trying to be a tough guy but that really rattled him.  It's nice to see that Flint really doesn't trust him.  I think Flint is somewhat scared of Silver, because Silver seemed to have morphed into another person, so much so that he physically looks different from season one Silver.  I think Flint isn't exactly sure who Silver really is.

• Love 3

Well, I'm hoping we're seeing show-Silver evolving into book-Silver this season. The line about him losing his whole leg was very deliberate imo. And that means Flint should be worried. 

Also when the doctor told Silver that if the wound worsens he'll have to cut off more of his leg, Silver's face was priceless. He's trying to be a tough guy but that really rattled him. It's nice to see that Flint really doesn't trust him.

Yeah, but I don't think Flint trusts anybody. At this point he justs wants vengeance and beating England.

He and Silver have done a bit of a role reversal. Flint can only see his own goal at this point and Silver to some extent seems concerned for the men.

I think Flint is somewhat scared of Silver, because Silver seemed to have morphed into another person, so much so that he physically looks different from season one Silver. I think Flint isn't exactly sure who Silver really is.

I don't think Flint is scared of Silver - when he was talking about fools and pretenders imo it was probably a dig at Silver - but (I haven't read the book) I'm sure he will end up regretting underestimating him. Well, some more, since he already underestimated him and Silver kept him from getting the gold first. But Flint seems arrogant/tunnel minded enough to do it twice.

I was startled Silver didn't want to use the crutches given half those men saw him with his leg hacked off already, so it seems more about his own pride than really thinking they would think he was weak.

But speaking of him losing more of his leg, at the extent his leg is amputated would it really make much of a difference to him at this point. Er, besides it being freaking painful to have more of it cut off in general, but I meant in terms of movement.

Also, how long is it supposed to have been since season 1? Just a couple of months? Were season 1 and 2 supposed to have taken place in just a couple of weeks combined.

I thought Jack had a couple of funny lines last night and I enjoy him in general, but he does have a tendency to be a bit whiny. I do like his and Ann's relationship though, because they're pretty much the only people on the show who I believe have genuine love/affection for each other, although I guess Ann and Max are getting there, although I don't really buy that relationship, don't really think they have much in common outside of sex.

Edited by ulkis

I was startled Silver didn't want to use the crutches given half those men saw him with his leg hacked off already, so it seems more about his own pride than really thinking they would think he was weak.

But speaking of him losing more of his leg, at the extent his leg is amputated would it really make much of a difference to him at this point. Er, besides it being freaking painful to have more of it cut off in general, but I meant in terms of movement.

That surprised me as well ! I dont entirely understand why he doesnt take like a month or two without the crutches to give it time to fully heal. It wont diminish how the men view him and he'll get to keep his knee ! 

Which is the answer to your second interrogation : yes, as long as he has the knee, he's got a lot more flexibility in the leg and can move it in ways that would (will ?) be impossible if they have to cut higher. 

• Love 1

Is the book a spoiler?

I don't think a mod ever said. (If the mods are taking votes, I would prefer it to be a spoiler, but I understand if the contents of a two hundred something odd year old book would not be considered a spoiler.)

ETA I messaged a mod and asked about it.

Edited by ulkis

Well, whatever the mod says. This is the last season? It's not a spoiler that the show was initially billed as a prequel to the book. I would think they're trying to do the show the way they want to do, while ending it with a clear position to the book. 

There's only like 7 people who post here. Just go read the book. It's only like 120 pages!

I'd actually love it if they did like a 4 hour Treasure Island coda to the series.

• Love 2
I think Flint is somewhat scared of Silver, because Silver seemed to have morphed into another person, so much so that he physically looks different from season one Silver.  I think Flint isn't exactly sure who Silver really is.

This makes sense since (if memory serves) the book explicitly states

Silver was the only man Flint ever feared

I think the name Eleanor wrote on the paper depends on whether she's simply trying to save her own life, or is still has loyalty to Nassau and is attempting to follow through with Flint's plan. If it's the former, then she wrote Flint. If it's the latter, she wrote Vane. 

Thing is, I can't really blame her for either decision. If I was in her shoes, I'd probably be scrambling to save myself, especially since she was betrayed by the inhabitants of the island who obviously don't give two shits about her (see: the play that's being put on in her absence). But Nassau is the only world she's ever known; she grew up there and considers it her life's work - plus, Vane murdered her father, so she might be out to get revenge for that. 

A bit of a slow start, but I suppose that's only natural. They skipped some potentially fascinating material when it came to the current Vane/Jack/Flint agreement regarding the Urca gold, but it was a promising start to what's ahead. Nothing like your protagonist shooting a terrified unarmed woman in the forehead to remind you that he's NOT the hero. 

I think Eleanor is doing what she can until she's in a position to get herself free. So she's saying what they want to hear. The question is, does she think she can 'live free' in Nassau and Max et al., will be fine with that (which they might) or is she just out to put one over on all of them. 

That Brit dude thinks he's going to just waltz in and put Nassau under his thumb. He had no idea what he's getting into. Whether Nassau welcomes her, she does know what she's getting into. 

• Love 1

This makes sense since (if memory serves) the book explicitly states

Silver was the only man Flint ever feared

Thing is, I can't really blame her for either decision. If I was in her shoes, I'd probably be scrambling to save myself, especially since she was betrayed by the inhabitants of the island who obviously don't give two shits about her (see: the play that's being put on in her absence). But Nassau is the only world she's ever known; she grew up there and considers it her life's work - plus, Vane murdered her father, so she might be out to get revenge for that.

I don't blame her either. Although I don't think she's out for revenge on Vane, at least not because of her father. For messing up her business, yeah. I do wonder if she'll get vengeance on Hornigold

since we already know that Silver gets to glasses guy first (ugh totally blanking on his name)

I wouldn't be suprised if it were another name altogether though.

I definitely think it's the latter. During his speech I almost expected one of them to say "yeah yeah we're still freaking here on this damn boat, aren't we?"

Or I suppose it could also have been they didn't actually believe they would get a pardon.

Speaking of that, did they mention what happened to the Spanish ship/man of war? I missed the explanation if they gave it.

Edited by ulkis

Hey all. The site policy for this type of situation is to go ahead and spoiler real history that is not likely to be known by the general consensus. This way people can be surprised if they don't already know through history or if they haven't read the book.

• Love 1

Glad the show is back!

Decent episode, putting all the players on the board.  I'm a little surprised that Jack is floundering at being in charge the fort's security.   I suppose they must have some people there at least guarding the gold, otherwise everyone would be helping themselves. 

There's no real leader in the community; as Mr. Scott said, that was Eleanor, who at least got stuff done.  Interesting how much she's hated, just because she was the authority figure?  Granted she could make bad decisions, but she kept the business of the place running.  I automatically assumed Eleanor gave Vane's name, but now I think maybe Flint's.  She knows that Flint is (was) more of a thinker than Vane, who could act impulsively and might be easier to take out quickly.  Either way, I don't blame her, she doesn't owe either one anything and it gets her out of jail and probably saves her life. 

I don't think Flint is scared of Silver - when he was talking about fools and pretenders imo it was probably a dig at Silver - but (I haven't read the book) I'm sure he will end up regretting underestimating him.

I don't think Flint is scared of him either - I don't think Flint is scared of anything, actually.  He's gone over the edge, with Miranda and any idea of reconciliation with England gone, he's got nothing to lose.  Silver is saying something about sweeping the hold before the Captain boards the ship that turned out to be a trap, and Flint is crossing right over to it as Silver is saying that.   The questions are, can Silver get through to him and if not, how long will his men follow him (Flint, I mean).  When Flint is making his speech about not fighting and not surrendering, no one spoke against him - the only ones who might have are Billy and Silver.  The rest are followers, and I think if Billy and/or Silver had spoken up, they would have had some of the crew with them.  Both are having doubts though. 

I also wonder why Silver sticking with the crew and Flint now that he's got his gold, especially with his injury.  Loyalty to the crew who voted him quartermaster?  He's acting as their voice, and I agree that he's matured.   The old Silver would have kicked back with his money and not been stomping around, causing more damage to this leg.   Still, he was pretty definite that Flint would get them out of the jam with Hornigold.  He must feel loyalty to Flint too.

Maybe Max will try to fill Eleanor's shoes; Max has the brains for sure but I see her more as a behind the scenes person.  She's a planner, a worrier, a strategizer. Her growth is as interesting as Silver's IMO.  She was the one that Mr. Scott went to, maybe she just needs a strong front person.  Captain Jack Rackham is fun but not, apparently, able to get the lazy masses working.

Vane looks different; i watched a lot of the recent marathons, and his face doesn't look so tan or something now.  Plus we have Jack and Vane buddy scenes.  I can see Vane intervening between a furious Flint and Jack, especially since Jack actually retrieved the gold.  I didn't think they were really friends, thought the show seems to be going there.

I miss Flint's hair; don't like the shaved version.  Not too much to say about Teach, we'll see how he fits in, though the previews look promising.

Edited by raven

This is not the last season. Season 4 is filming right now so we will have more. :)

Good question. I wonder how close the show will connect to the book, if that makes any sense.

I'm of the mindset that the writers will play as fast and loose with the book as they can. We've kinda seen it already on the show. Book John Silver said he was Flint's cook. Season 1 John Silver was, technically, Flint's "cook" but only because he lied and then because Flint needed a cover to keep him around until he got the information he needed from Silver. Obviously some stuff has to happen, like Silver losing a leg, but other stuff I think they will toy with as much as they can.

I wish they'd have explained the agreement between Flint/Vane/Jack a bit better. Did they agree to split the gold? Or is the gold considered all Jack's and his crew but Flint agreed to not kill him if Jack promised him certain things -- like restoring the fort and using the gold to protect the island. Cause I don't really see this Flint as caring too much about who physically possess the gold right now as long as it's used to hurt England which is all he cares about anymore. I predict the gold is going to become like the baby in "Raising Arizona" -- everyone will nab it and then lose it before it's all said and done.

Silver is saying something about sweeping the hold before the Captain boards the ship that turned out to be a trap, and Flint is crossing right over to it as Silver is saying that.

I agree with you that Flint has nothing to lose and is acting like it, that moment though I think Flint did to spite Silver a little, since he wanted Silver to talk the men into leaving and he didn't.

I also wonder why Silver sticking with the crew and Flint now that he's got his gold, especially with his injury. Loyalty to the crew who voted him quartermaster? He's acting as their voice, and I agree that he's matured. The old Silver would have kicked back with his money and not been stomping around, causing more damage to this leg. Still, he was pretty definite that Flint would get them out of the jam with Hornigold. He must feel loyalty to Flint too.

I wondered that myself last season and someone pointed out he doesn't really have anywhere to go with his injury. He could take his share of the gold but how is he gonna haul it, who can he trust to help him?

Plus I think he likes being a leader; there was a moment last season when he said he was leaving and Flint asked him where else could he go where people would give a damn about what he thought and what he had to say and it seemed to resonate with him.

I don't think he feels much loyalty to Flint; he said last season Flint was his best chance of survival and he probably still feels that way, although like you said he's starting to have doubts.

I miss Flint's hair; don't like the shaved version. Not too much to say about Teach, we'll see how he fits in, though the previews look promising.

Me too. Alas. I wouldn't usually think an awkward small ponytail was a good look but he made it work.

Edited by ulkis
Book John Silver said he was Flint's cook. Season 1 John Silver was, technically, Flint's "cook" but only because he lied and then because Flint needed a cover to keep him around until he got the information he needed from Silver.

Book-Silver had an agenda. It's also book-canon that Silver was q-master for Flint, which he is now. 

I thought this was the final season because all the Starz shows are 3 seasons. 

The site policy for this type of situation is to go ahead and spoiler real history that is not likely to be known by the general consensus. This way people can be surprised if they don't already know through history or if they haven't read the book.

This is an obtuse statement. "Real history" is irrelevant to the issue because we're talking about a 100+ y/o piece of fiction. What's the determination on "likely" and "general consensus"? I never read the book until last summer, but I was aware of Treasure Island and what it was generally about. I think the name "Long John Silver" is well known in the public consciousness. The reason why the original question was asked was because we wanted the moderator to issue a ruling for the board for the book. 

Is Treasure Island, the book, a spoiler for the discussion board, Black Sails?

Please just say yes or no. Whatever the interpretation of the site rules by the thread moderator is what we go by. 

This is an obtuse statement. "Real history" is irrelevant to the issue because we're talking about a 100+ y/o piece of fiction. What's the determination on "likely" and "general consensus"? I never read the book until last summer, but I was aware of Treasure Island and what it was generally about. I think the name "Long John Silver" is well known in the public consciousness. The reason why the original question was asked was because we wanted the moderator to issue a ruling for the board for the book.

Is Treasure Island, the book, a spoiler for the discussion board, Black Sails?

Please just say yes or no. Whatever the interpretation of the site rules by the thread moderator is what we go by.

Long John Silver is the book. Blackbeard was a real person. That's what I meant by real history. So to be candid: whether it be real history or the book, yes, spoiler tag it.

• Love 1

Huh.  I didn't think of that.  the ship Flint is on isn't a Man of War is it?  That is a REALLY good question.

Nope, it was the Walrus. I think. But it definitely wasn't the man of war.

ganesh, Spartacus was 4 seasons. And unless Outlander has a dire ratings drop or something, it should definitely go past 3 seasons. But yeah, other than that, can't think of any past 3 seasons.

There's only like 7 people who post here. Just go read the book. It's only like 120 pages.

120 pages! Too long. :p Although I'm sure I'll somehow end up accidentally spotting a summary of the plot on a site that has nothing to do with Black Sails or Treasure Island, heh.

(I did read Kidnapped though. I probably would have liked its own but I think I liked it a bit more after having watched Outlander.)

Edited by ulkis

Yes, Long John Silver is a fictional character from Treasure Island, but many of the characters (not just Blackbeard) are based on real historical people. Blackbeard, Jack Rackham, Ann Bonny, Hornigold, and now this new governor that Eleanor's thrown in with (I can't remember his name, but my partner, who's a history buff, nearly had a fit when he was introduced), and probably others, were key players in the history of piracy in that era, and whose ultimate fates can be turned up with a little googling, for those inclined to know. Whether the show will stick to the history, or write their own stories for these characters remains to be seen!

• Love 2

Great first episode!

Ray Stevenson as Blackbeard is perfect casting, and it will be interesting to see how his character is going to shake up things this season. I wonder if his arrival will be good or bad for Nassau. Did anyone else like that they seem to be portraying Blackbeard, despite his ruthlessness and fearsome appearance, as an educated, cultured man? That seems to line up as well with recent research on Blackbeard's origins, which points to him coming from minor gentry and being the grandson of an Anglican minister.

I think Eleanor is doing what she can until she's in a position to get herself free. So she's saying what they want to hear. The question is, does she think she can 'live free' in Nassau and Max et al., will be fine with that (which they might) or is she just out to put one over on all of them. 

That Brit dude thinks he's going to just waltz in and put Nassau under his thumb. He had no idea what he's getting into. Whether Nassau welcomes her, she does know what she's getting into. 

The man who cut a deal Eleanor probably isn't going to turn out to be a clueless fop from London. Like Vane and Blackbeard he's based on a historical person. It is hard to say of course of how closely the show is going to stick to historical accuracy in its portrayal, but if his portrayal even loosely resembles the real person he'll probably turn out to be a formidable antagonist. 

Mild history spoilers ahoy...

The real Woodes Rogers had been a privateer, which is really nothing more than a state-sanctioned pirate. He had plundered Spanish ships and towns in the Caribbean during Queen Anne's War and would have the same skillset as Flint or Vane. Later he turned pirate hunter. Assuming the series' version of Woodes Rogers has the same backstory, he'll probably turn out to be a more formidable antagonist than previous government officials sent to reign Nassau and the pirates in. An interesting bit of trivia is that while Woodes Rogers was privateering, his ship rescued Alexander Selkirk. Selkirk was a Scottish sailor (and privateer) that had spent four years marooned on a desert island, before Rogers' ship weighed anchor. Selkirk, who became something of a wildman in his four years in isolation, was an immediate celebrity upon his return to Europe. He later became the inspiration for both Robinson Crusoe and Treasure Island's Ben Gunn.

Edited by Scaeva

Yes, Long John Silver is a fictional character from Treasure Island, but many of the characters (not just Blackbeard) are based on real historical people. Blackbeard, Jack Rackham, Ann Bonny, Hornigold, and now this new governor that Eleanor's thrown in with (I can't remember his name, but my partner, who's a history buff, nearly had a fit when he was introduced), and probably others, were key players in the history of piracy in that era, and whose ultimate fates can be turned up with a little googling, for those inclined to know. Whether the show will stick to the history, or write their own stories for these characters remains to be seen!

Charles Vane is real, too. I kind of love how they mix in Treasure Island stuff with history stuff. It's almost like the show is about how we consider pirates- someone like Blackbeard and Long John Silver, it's almost irrelevant whether they are real or not, because they've become myths. 

• Love 2
So, Blackbeard is Ray Stevenson?

Or as I've been calling him since I saw him in the commercials teasing the season, Pirate Pullo!  (And as much as I enjoyed the Malkovich show, Malkovich is no Stevenson as it comes to piratin'. Arrr.

I looked up the actor playing Woodes Rogers, and am sorely disappointed to learn that he is not the lovechild of David Warner and Bill Patterson, both of whom he resembles (imo).

My eyeliner never stays on like that when I'm in the bath. Max must have makeup secrets that combat humidity!

• Love 2

Technically, Spartacus was 3 seasons, with a prequel miniseries. And they only did that so Andy W (*sniff) could get healthy. GOTA wasn't envisioned as part of the show until after. 

Whether or not Spartacus counts as 3 seasons or not is a semantic argument that is completely irrelevant to this show, which has already been renewed for season 4, and the thread topic in particular.

This definitely felt like a set up episode, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The 100 did a similar thing with their premiere (and hey, Vane is guest staring on that show this season, so fans of his should consider checking it out). When there's a time jump you have to fill in the gaps of where everyone is and at least broad strokes of what happened. I think Black Sails lost in comparison for me, since I had just watched the 100 and felt they handled their jump with a bit more excitement, but that's hardly Black Sails fault. It was a solid, if not groundbreaking start.

Thinking about how Eleanor is going to play into things, as far as we know she doesn't know they have the Urca gold much less that Flint/Vane/Rackham have formed an alliance. I wonder how that will effect the effecacy of her Intel and how she'll react when she does find out.

I continue to be more interested in the ladies of this show than most of the men, mores the pity since they almost always play second fiddle to the men, but at least the men held my interest this episode. Silver's development in particular intrigues me. And Vane was tolerable, which is impressive since usually I can't stand him.

Vane is guest staring on that show this season

I got so unreasonably excited to see him pop up on that show! It took me a second to recognize him, then he started talking and I was like "wait...Vane?". I know that gravely voice anywhere!