Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: XIX

Bort

Great first episode!

Ray Stevenson as Blackbeard is perfect casting, and it will be interesting to see how his character is going to shake up things this season. I wonder if his arrival will be good or bad for Nassau. Did anyone else like that they seem to be portraying Blackbeard, despite his ruthlessness and fearsome appearance, as an educated, cultured man? That seems to line up as well with recent research on Blackbeard's origins, which points to him coming from minor gentry and being the grandson of an Anglican minister.

The man who cut a deal Eleanor probably isn't going to turn out to be a clueless fop from London. Like Vane and Blackbeard he's based on a historical person. It is hard to say of course of how closely the show is going to stick to historical accuracy in its portrayal, but if his portrayal even loosely resembles the real person he'll probably turn out to be a formidable antagonist. 

I have a hard time recognizing Ray Stevenson with hair.  I'll work harder.

Woodes Rogers - more minor spoilers

His family fortune was made through the slave trade.

• Love 1

I think several of Starz's shows only lasted a few seasons because of 1) so-so ratings (Da Vinci, the one with John Winchester from "Supernatural) or 2) the show's creator/producer wanted to end it (Spartacus). "Power" and "Outlander" are both likely to go for several more seasons. 

And I hope "Black Sails" will, too. I think it will come down to the producers. History isn't on the side of pirates and the arrival of Rogers will only make things worse for them. Season 4 is already filming and I really hope that we can get a couple more seasons after that. *Crosses fingers*

Back to the premiere -- I wonder if the mock trial was foreshadowing that Eleanor will be executed this season. Perhaps Rogers will hang her in Nassau to make his point.

I think they seriously dropped the ball  in not letting us have at least one episode showing Vane and Flint chasing after Rackam trying to get 'their' gold back. 

Imagine if the cold open was this. Flint and Vane race into the harbour and board Rackam's ship only to find it empty.  They decide the only place the gold can be stored is in the Fort and lead a charge up the beach. Only when they reach outside the Fort,  Jack, Anne and Max are there under a white flag and with a whole stack of gunpowder.  Anne lights a match and  Jack says "Parley ?'

Cue opening titles.

Edited by The Kings Foot

I think they seriously dropped the ball  in not letting us have at least one episode showing Vane and Flint chasing after Rackam trying to get 'their' gold back. 

Imagine if the cold open was this. Flint and Vane race into the harbour and board Rackam's ship only to find it empty.  They decide the only place the gold can be stored is in the Fort and lead a charge up the beach. Only when they reach outside the Fort,  Jack, Anne and Max are there under a white flag and with a whole stack of gunpowder.  Anne lights a match and  Jack says "Parley ?'

Cue opening titles.

I think I would have changed the channel if that show started like that.  If I want to watch foolishness I'll watch Real Housewives of...wherever.

• Love 1

I think I would have changed the channel if that show started like that.  If I want to watch foolishness I'll watch Real Housewives of...wherever.

Well given that our actual cold open involved a domestic dispute with Blackbeard's brothers in law telling him to quit the life of crime and take responsibility and come home to his wife   .........

Edited by The Kings Foot
  • Love 2

Well given that our actual cold open involved a domestic dispute with Blackbeard's brothers in law telling him to quit the life of crime and take responsibility and come home to his wife   .........

Hahah, it's like "The Real Pirates of Nassau."

I kind of wondered if Eleanor didn't write down Max's name.  Max is a guy's name typically so it will cause them to spin their wheels a bit at the island, she's someone Eleanor would like to see get taken down since she has (essentially) taken over E's role AND it keeps both the pirates she has feelings about out of direct harm.

• Love 1

I kind of wondered if Eleanor didn't write down Max's name.  Max is a guy's name typically so it will cause them to spin their wheels a bit at the island, she's someone Eleanor would like to see get taken down since she has (essentially) taken over E's role AND it keeps both the pirates she has feelings about out of direct harm.

hmm. That would be interesting. But I would think the gig would be kind of up rather quickly, because Max would be willing to work with Woodes depending on the circumstance. Flint and Vane want nothing to do with him.

My take on Silver and Flint is that Flint doesn't trust Silver at all.  Silver opened up to Flint last season and told Flint that he didn't want to be a pirate, that he liked nothing about the lifestyle, even the sea.  I think that's why Flint needles Silver and is basically calling him fake.  Flint feels that Silver's only there because of the injury; and that may or may not be true.  Maybe Silver likes the idea that he matters to people.  However, Flint also knows that even though Silver, at least last season's Silver was selfish, Silver had his back when no one else did, so I think he's conflicted, he likes him and hates him at the same time.  I think Silver won't use a crutch because he doesn't want to be seen as weak; we've never really seen Silver kill anybody and he's never been good in a fight, so he wants to prove himself as a badass.  I have a feeling that by the end of this season, Silver will be a real badass.

I think Silver likes the idea of mattering.  On Tumblr, someone noted that of all the main characters Silver (and Billy) is the only one who we've never seen in a relationship with anybody.  Flint was with Thomas and then Miranda; Vane with Eleanor; Eleanor with Max; Max with Ann and Eleanor; Ann with Max and Jack.   But Silver's stayed away from all of that, probably because he was laser focused on the gold, but I think this is new for him, he likes the idea of being a part of something.

• Love 1

However, Flint also knows that even though Silver, at least last season's Silver was selfish, Silver had his back when no one else did, so I think he's conflicted, he likes him and hates him at the same time. I think Silver won't use a crutch because he doesn't want to be seen as weak; we've never really seen Silver kill anybody and he's never been good in a fight, so he wants to prove himself as a badass. I have a feeling that by the end of this season, Silver will be a real badass.

I think it may even be more not wanting to feel weak than he wants to save face in front of the crew, although that's part of it. Before, he had no qualms about exposing himself as a wimp (when Billy suggested they torture the Urca schedule out of him, he said it would be useless because he would just say anything because he had no tolerance for pain, and he admits he didn't think he would have to fight when he and Flint stole the man of war). Before he didn't care what they thought, because he was physically fine, but now he does because he's probably afraid of being pitied.

I don't think Flint is much conflicted when it comes to Silver; he knows that the men like him though and if he did anything to Silver they'd be angry.

So I noticed the paper Rackham was reading on the can was dated August 1715; so it's about 3 months since season 1. Damn, apparently pirating causes hair to grow super fast, heh.

Also, I guess the man of war

is parked outside Nasseau because I saw a promo that had Blackbeard asking who it belonged to.

Pretty good first episode, but did it make sense to anyone else that Rackham got to keep any of the gold?  I would think that Flint of all people would put aside his new-found Pirates Lives Matter for the guy who stole a world-changing fortune right out from under him.  Flint'd have something of a case that the gold was his and his crew's, not that this'd be much of an impediment.  

I chanced to wonder last season how Silver and the Urca guards were gonna explain how they were suddenly proved 'incorrect' about the gold being gone and were now, coincidentally, rich.  Flint would certainly kill them the moment he figured it out, which he of course would, in a second.  What was their exit plan was gonna be?  I doubt 'finders keepers' would have done it, nor kept Jack rich or alive when their perfidy was exposed.  I mean pirates, right?

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1

Pretty good first episode, but did it make sense to anyone else that Rackham got to keep any of the gold?

I believe the second most important rule of pirating (after rule #1 -- never steal from your ship-mates) is "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers"  

Seriously though, the pirates of Nassau have an interest in there being some rules on the island that everyone follows.  Stealing on the high seas is what they do.  Stealing from one another once they bring their booty ashore would not be tolerated.  The set-up in Nassau would fall apart if pirates were constantly stealing from one another on the island.  So if Flint tried to rob Rackham of his prize (which he dragged home to Nassau, fair and square) he might find himself facing off against not just Rackham's crew but every pirate on the island.  He's already destroyed Nassau's main defense by blowing up the fort and there is probably some ill-will against him from the islanders as a result.  He may be the biggest, the baddest, the meanest MF on the waters but on Nassau he's vulnerable to public opinion.

Stealing from one another once they bring their booty ashore would not be tolerated.

I would remind that season 2 was all about Flint declaring war on Vane because seizing the fort put Vane in a position to maybe steal the Urca gold from Flint. Like as not, they steal from each other all the time, they just try not to get caught doing so.  Plus (IMO) Flint could well make the case that Rackham stole the treasure from Flint.  If Flint offered to share the treasure with the other captains, I'm pretty sure they'd see the 'justice' in Flint's claim.  There's even a witness, such as he is - Silver. With the rest of Nassau against them, I'll bet Rackham's own guys could be persuaded to go along that they 'had no idea' that Jack jacked the treasure that rightfully belongs to Flint and co.  They might get a finders fee for fighting off the spaniards but no way Jack gets to keep it all, just maybe his life.

Flint's on a holy rampage for the future of piratedom, and had plans for that huge fortune in this regard.  I still stay no way he'd let any sort of nicety with Jack Rackham deter him from that goal.  

Edited by henripootel