Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: The Beating Heart (2)

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Crossover time again, with this as Part 2. (Chicago Med has part 1 with Chicago P.D as part 3.)

Members of Firehouse 51 band together and anxiously await word at Chicago Med when one of their own falls victim to a life-threatening stabbing. Cruz urgently works with members of Chicago P.D. to track down Freddie's whereabouts when he goes missing. Dr. Choi and Dr. Halstead tend to an attempted suicide victim whose condition raises some eyebrows. Meanwhile, Mouch surprises Trudy  and Chili's odd behavior has Brett and Jimmy worried.
  • Love 1

I wasn't too crazy about this one.

-I'm so happy that I rooted for Severide to get his lieutenant spot back, and as soon as he does, he acts like a petulant child. Wonderful pay-off, thank you.

-Cruz was back to guilty, season 1 Cruz and I prefer Zumba Cruz. I wondered, during the whole episode whether Hermann would make it but Cruz bite it. 

-There's going overboard with Saint Gabby again. And honestly, with the House 51 is a family. I usually like it but a little subtlety would go a long way. No need to have the CM doctors specially remark on it. It was so heavy-handed that it made the whole episode fall flat and meh for me.

There were a couple of good things, though.

-Colin Donnell. I love Colin Donnell. His character was the only good thing about Chicago Med.

-I really like Jimmy as a character. He's kind of smarter than I thought, and less petulant than Severide or Gabby. And I want to know what's happening with Chili. I was glad that Brett was worrying about her, too, and didn't get fooled. I like their friendship.

-Otis/Cruz friendship and not trace of Brett/Otis.

Edit: Oh, and Mouch and Trudy were cute, but same, a little bit too overdramatic for me.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

So we don't know what's going on with Chili? I admit that I didn't watch the last ep before the break after I read the recap because I was annoyed at the Chief/fake domestic violence thing. I didn't know if the audience knows whats up with Chili or we're all in the dark.

ETA: I loved the Mouch/Trudy proposal. I admit it has taken me some time to warm up to Platt, but I do love them together. 

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1

I didn't see the Saint Gabby thing this time around, but I was pretty irritated by Severide throughout both this episode and Chicago Med.  I'll admit, it's not out of character for him to lash out at other people when he's afraid or grieving, but it's harder to watch him take it out on Cruz than it was to see him take his anger out on Casey in season one, because Cruz is a direct subordinate. 

It would have been nice if we got to see one episode of Severide being a good leader before pulling this crap, since, between the Scott Rice thing right before he got demoted, and this behavior now, he's not exactly proving anyone wrong.

And this time Casey (and Dawson) get stuck in the exploding house.  Has there been an episode lately where he wasn't in physical danger or injured during a rescue?  If I were Boden, I'd be getting concerned about this pattern.

• Love 1

Gabby and Severide were jerks these crossover episodes. Who are either of them to go and get attitude with Dr. Rhodes telling them what to do? Both of them should have been told to shut up and sit down in the waiting room. 

The person who should be asking questions or speaking to the doctor is Herman's wife.  Not Severide and certainly not Gabby.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

I didn't see the Saint Gabby thing this time around, but I was pretty irritated by Severide throughout both this episode and Chicago Med.  I'll admit, it's not out of character for him to lash out at other people when he's afraid or grieving, but it's harder to watch him take it out on Cruz than it was to see him take his anger out on Casey in season one, because Cruz is a direct subordinate.

I saw it especially at the beginning of the episode, when they found Hermann and he was holding on to her, and also how present she was at Hermann's side whereas it should have been Mouch, imo. I rather like Gabby, and actually I found her rather subdued for once -she's been known to be more in your face than she was with Rhodes on CM, but they're trying to hard to make her the "heart" and it was one of those episodes where I noticed.

It isn't out of character for Severide to lash out, but usually his buddies are never wrong (the widower, as you mentioned) and Cruz is definitely one of them. Especially with the support Cruz showed him. So I was quite disappointed in him.

So we don't know what's going on with Chili? I admit that I didn't watch the last ep before the break after I read the recap because I was annoyed at the Chief/fake domestic violence thing. I didn't know if the audience knows whats up with Chili or we're all in the dark. 

Nope, we're still in the dark. I thought it'd be booze, because of her moody state, deflecting the issue and two incidences with alcohol around. But here, she pretended to indifference whereas she bottled-up her emotions, since she ended up crying alone. So maybe it's a past trauma, family-related, or an emotional issue instead. 

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

Nope, we're still in the dark. I thought it'd be booze, because of her moody state, deflecting the issue and two incidences with alcohol around. But here, she pretended to indifference whereas she bottled-up her emotions, since she ended up crying alone. So maybe it's a past trauma, family-related, or an emotional issue instead. 

Thank you! Also, I wanted to ask - where was Donna? Aren't they friends now that Cindy threw a surprise wedding? I thought it very strange Chief didn't at least mention her, if they couldn't fit the actress into the crossover with everyone else on set.

• Love 1

This show more and more just strikes me as a bunch of actors saying lines.

Gaby, go away, but wipe a couple of layers of makeup off your face first (Sylvie too--do they spend their lunch hours at Macy's MAC counter trying on all the eye makeup at the same time?).

Herman must have been awake enough to have signed a whole lot of HIPAA disclosure forms--so not believable that Cindy wouldn't first be pulled into a consultation room to be informed of the medical stuff. She could then have acted her ass off telling the house about it, but no, the whole waiting room gets to hear everything straight from the doc, and she's just the weepy lump.

Amy Morton's acting imo is so above the Chicago Fire cast's actors that they are diminished whenever she is part of the ensemble. Trudy is the last person I imagine with a romantic side and boom she nails me with her disappointment over the botched proposal.

• Love 3

It isn't out of character for Severide to lash out, but usually his buddies are never wrong (the widower, as you mentioned) and Cruz is definitely one of them. Especially with the support Cruz showed him. So I was quite disappointed in him.

I was disappointed too, but it reminded me a lot of how he treated Casey in parts of season 1.  There's no question that they were close, and are close again now, but it seems like the one thing that will make Severide lash out blindly at a friend is something bad happening to another friend.  What seemed weird about this one, to me, is I honestly hadn't thought Severide and Herrmann were very close.   It seemed weird to me that Severide got as much focus as Gabby (who at least was a co-owner, and has been portrayed as a good friend before), Mouch or Boden, and more than Casey, who was Herrmann's actual commanding officer.  But then, I suppose they needed someone to be righteously angry on Herrmann's behalf, and the other characters would be more inclined to actually let the treating doctor do his job.

Edited by squidprincess
  • Love 1

Painfully bad. I noticed Gabby kept getting the money shots-her wide eyes and concerned expression so that we know it's bad right before we go to commercial. And her speech to the doctor to do something? Second only to Severide in ridiculousness. I sprained my eyes from rolling them.

Best line of the night? "Yes, the proposal was messy and half-assed. But, then again, so are you." And we were meant to find that sweet, and it actually was!

• Love 5

Thank you! Also, I wanted to ask - where was Donna? Aren't they friends now that Cindy threw a surprise wedding? I thought it very strange Chief didn't at least mention her, if they couldn't fit the actress into the crossover with everyone else on set.

Boden was imo an afterthought in this episode -to be fair, he was heavily featured in the previous ones, even though it wasn't the way I wanted- so I'm not surprised that Donna wasn't anywhere but a blip in the previews. But yes, she should have been there, if only visiting/asking if she could do something as the chief's wife.

A big cast has always been a characteristic of CF so it would be a bit late for me to complain about it, and I admit that it has its perks. I understand that every character has to be placed on the backburner for a while. Maybe it was because of the crossover. Yet, I have the feeling that lately, some friendships are getting the shaft and/or suffer from a lack of continuity and I regret it.

The writers continue to reach new lows in the propping og St. Gabby - heart of the Firehouse. In what planet does she get to give the resident doctor the stink eye and tell him how to do his job.Also, Cindy wailing and turning to Gabby to make the call on what to do, looking at her everytime there was bad news etc. It was too much. Gabby and Hermann have always been close but I feel like it's been shoved down our throats this season and there's no way I buy that Hermann would rather have her standing over his (potential) dying bed then Cindy and the kids. Show, she is not that important and she is certainly not the center of everything. Let it go. I just wish someone would once in a while tell her to butt out. When she was screaming out the paramedic in the ambulance it was just ridiculous. He should have told her to sit down and shut up but no, of course not. Everyone just bows to her every command.

Severide takes the biscuit as the biggest tool of the episode though. What a jerk. He proved throughout the episode every point the higher ups made when demoting him at the start of the season. He was borderline bullying Cruz until Boden told him to get a grip. Then he continues the jerkiness into Med's episode where he antagonises Rhodes for medical procedures he knows nothing about. What a tool. Also as mentioned upthread he isn't even that close to Hermann.

Why does everything ALWAYS have to be about Severide and Dawson. Can anyone else ever get a look in.

I like Chilli and wish they'd done this bipolar storyline better. I'd rather have seen them get more indepth into that then watch St.Gabby in action for the umpteenth time.

Loved Mouch's proposal though. He's awesome.

Also, Cruz/Otis are brilliant and we need more scenes of them.

It actually seemed fairly reasonable to me that Cindy was looking to Gabby for help.  Cindy doesn't have any medical background, as far as we know.  Gabby was a paramedic for years and had taken at least some pre-med courses.  Obviously, she's no doctor, but she is someone that Cindy knows and trusts and who might have even a faint idea of what's going on.

-Cruz was back to guilty, season 1 Cruz and I prefer Zumba Cruz.

Oh, yes, please bring back Zumba Cruz!  This show is seriously lacking fun, easy breezy moments.  They have them, but usually they're a few seconds of relief at the end of an episode.  They need more balance with light-hearted episodes.  Every day doesn't have to be dire for the firehouse.

I was so happy for Mouch and Trudy's proposals!  I love those two together and wish we saw more of them.  And by more of them, I mean in a good way, like maybe Trudy stops by at Molly's sometimes or Mouch stops by the police station to bring her a cookie.  I'd love a little "moving in together and adjusting wacky hijinks" but I do not want relationship in peril story lines!

• Love 1

Just when I was thinking that somehow they kept Gabby in line this episode *boom* she goes and yells at the doctor. And yes to the return of Zumba Cruz - I'm so getting tired of the constant martyrdom of this character.

Best things about this episode: the proposal and seeing Colin Donnell again.

• Love 2

Saint Gaby was, for me, epitomized by the sparkling white shirt she was wearing at the beginning--which stayed sparkling and completely white even though she was rushing to Herman's bloody side in the bar, and "treating" him in the ambulance, and basically being all over Herman and his blood--with nary a drop on her.  She was driving me crazy this episode.

I too would have preferred Mouch being the one to stay with Cindy and be the best friend.  And if his Trudy storylines was too much and it had to be someone else, why not Otis, or better yet, the Chief, who has known Herman and Cindy for many many years and is good friends with them.  Just too much and too unbelievable Gabby, especially with everyone (Chief, really???) saying she's the "heart" of the station, the "best" firefighter, and other propping up nonsense.  I wish she was still a paramedic, not dating Casey, and not the apparent star of the show!

Just too much and too unbelievable Gabby, especially with everyone (Chief, really???) saying she's the "heart" of the station, the "best" firefighter, and other propping up nonsense.  I wish she was still a paramedic, not dating Casey, and not the apparent star of the show!

Did he say this? I thought he told Dr. Dreamboat that *Hermann* was the heart of 51.

• Love 1

He definitely said that Herrmann was the heart of 51.  The "best firefighters" line was from Herrmann himself, making light of a bad situation.  (He was joking that with himself in the hospital and Gabby staying with him, Truck 81 was down its two best firefighters.)  I don't think anyone was meant to take that seriously.

Also, honestly, they're always far too clean on this show.  Especially after fire rescues, where there is soot and debris everywhere.  They've been doing it since the pilot: when Casey fell through three floors and landed in the middle of a pile of debris, only to pour a water bottle over his head after and look like he just came from a photo shoot.  It seems like basic tv logic: you cast pretty people, you don't want to obscure that with anything more than a few picturesque smudges of dirt or blood. 

But yes, she should have been there, if only visiting/asking if she could do something as the chief's wife.

There should have been at least one line about Donna.

Boden: "Don't you worry, Cindy, Donna will stay home with the kids."

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 5

When did Hermann and Saint Gabby get so close? Mouch even mentions how HE is Hermann's Best friend yet Gabby is the one that stays with him. Her and Severide were jerks at times too. I don't get the obsession with Gabby by the writers, seriously of the women I like Brett and Chilli better and Dammit I miss Shay!! Gabby being little miss prefect reminds me of Lana from Smallville. I grew to hate Lana as that show went on too

I watched this only because of the crossover. I may be way off base but there were like only one or two characters that weren't total tools! Are they always like that?

If was being talked to like that by Severide I would be like hippocratic oath my ass I would knock him the hell out. He would be needing more medical attention than Herman.

I watched this only because of the crossover. I normally may be way off base but there were like only one or two characters that weren't total tools! Are they always like that?

If was being talked to like that by Severide I would be like hippocratic oath my ass I would knock him the hell out. He would be needing more medical attention than Herman.

Edited by Texasmom1970

I keep saying every time Chili was on screen that she needed to go take her meds!. I agree that her bi-polar storyline hasn't been handled well at all.

Gabby has more medical training and knowledge than anyone at 51. I don't get why they had her yelling at the doctor, "Do SOMETHING!". She of all people should be able to follow the thinking/logical of basic medical treatment. Especially since she was reaching for medical school early on before Dick Wolf decided to add to the Chicago tv shows.

I think the writers sort of remembered that point and decided to make Severide the jerk about the medical treatment.

I watched this only because of the crossover. I normally may be way off base but there were like only one or two characters that weren't total tools! Are they always like that?

Nah, but the less toolish characters didn't have a lot of lines this episode.  :-)

• Love 1

The cast of Fire have all pretty much devolved into morons.

• Love 2