Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I didn't know they got a new voice actor but figured it out right away. He was a bit stilted and laughed only once. Hopefully he'll get better and relax with time.

Even the early episodes with the same actors sound a bit strange nowadays.

Also the timbre of his voice was off.  It was more or less as deep as Shearer's but it wasn't as rich (I have overly sensitive hearing and pick up on this stuff. Family Guy drives me nuts because they have at least as many characters but fewer actors and, and MacFarlane uses them all, especially himself, over and over and over...).   

Those early seasons are a real hoot - Castellaneta freely admits that he was doing a Walter Matthau impersonation.  And that animation...ay, carumba!

• Love 2

Not gonna lie, Meat is Murder (aka Hamburger Homicide for which it will now be forever known), helped turned me into a vegetarian as a young person. Saw The Smiths in concert in '85 on the tour for the album. Have seen Morrissey a couple times solo over the years (the last being about 5 or 6 years ago) and ... the last scene with his bloated, fat, shirtless body? Had me rolling on the floor -- 'cause that was completely accurate. His post-episode smug, humorless statement came as no surprise to me and I only wish I had been a fly on his wall as he watched the episode. How he could not even see any humor in his satiric self shooting a hot dog gun at people is peak Morrissey. 

Also, fuck that guy. I still love the Smiths music but he really is a horrible, nasty racist who thinks way too highly of himself.

I'm not familiar with the Smiths or Morrissey. I was in high school in the late 80's and remember a classmate hand wrote "Meat is Murder" on her hat. I thought she made it up. Thanks to the Simpson's and the articles giving attention to this episode, I now realize where it came from over 30 years later. 😆

On 4/19/2021 at 1:14 AM, nuraman00 said:

This was one of my favorite episodes in a long time.  What I mean is that this belongs with some of the other top episodes of this series.

I liked the Alexa and stock buying gag.

Questions I have about this episode:

1)  There were 5 portraits of Mr. Burns, mocking other fast food restaurants.

I'm not 100% sure of the one on the right.

The ones I got were:  Mr. Burns as Colonel Sanders; Jack In The Box; Burger King; Wendys.

Was the one all the way on the right, supposed to be McDonalds, and Mr. Burns as The Hamburglar?

Can someone help with this?

On 4/18/2021 at 5:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

"Mushrooms? Those are chairs for toads." Nelson had some great lines tonight.

Can someone explain this joke so I can see if I got it?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

Can someone help with this?

On 4/18/2021 at 8:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

"Mushrooms? Those are chairs for toads." Nelson had some great lines tonight.

Can someone explain this joke so I can see if I got it?

Thanks.

Toadstools (toad stools)?  Was there more to it than that?  I didn't think so.

(edited)

Title: Spider-Pig!

Couch Gag: Homer & Marge as pigeons (Homer crushes the eggs)

I like how Werner Herzog is the new go-to "let's make a dignified celebrity say weird things" guest. Because he's one of those people that makes ANYTHING sound funny. 

Much like Lisa's Wedding, Lisa (and the family) see a tarot reader that sees into Lisa's college years. Or, well, lack of college years. I honestly like that Current Future Lisa would think college is unnecessary after a childhood of being burnt out, but of course that Marge had to be the overbearing mother that blames Lisa on having her sacrifice her entire life for a child that won't go down the path she wants. (sadly relatable, though). Of course Lisa would eventually become president, Milhouse becomes lame, Bart still somehow becomes Chief Justice of the Supreme (of course, the lack of qualifications didn't stop the past few justices...). I was honestly surprised to see Lisa became president by turning into Leslie Knope via actually ending illiteracy by being her lame self. I'm honestly impressed that a timeline that resembled the one from Lisa's Wedding seamlessly transitioned to the one from Bart to The Future. (Also the Future-Drama timeline where Nelson has two sets of twins with Sherri and Terri.)

Of course Bart will get successful selling legal weed. Might not be Chief Justice (at least not yet), but it's still a good future for him.

I liked how they danced around Maggie not talking yet again: she now talks in emoji. I also got a big laugh out of Future Rod & Todd's super deep voices.

There were so many great sight gags. Caught a "Pardon Sideshow Bob" sign at Lisa's inauguration. Also caught Gabbo at the beginning at the magic shop.

"Four Stars" - Penn
"                " - Teller

Honestly, as far as future episodes have gone, I thought this one was really good!

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 5

I just kept thinking that of course Lisa goes to college - that’s where she meets Hugh Parkfield.  And old version Marge would have asked Lisa why she didn’t want to go. 

• Love 6
(edited)

These future episodes only peaked with “Lisa’s Wedding” and “Bart to the Future.” The others sucked but this one had its moments.

Just when I think I can’t hate Marge any more, we get an episode like this and makes it worse. Forget that this revisionist history where Marge always wanted Lisa to have the life she never lived is bullshit—she got pissy every time Lisa said she didn’t want to end up like her. But for her to make Lisa’s choice to not attend college all about herself, playing the victim AS USUAL, and to stay petty about even when Lisa still managed to be successful without going to college was so infuriating.

And ONCE AGAIN, instead of Marge getting called out on her control freak bullshit, Lisa has to learn to be more appreciative of Princess Marge the Martyr’s sacrifices. GIMME A BREAK.

I did like Bart and President Lisa getting stoned on the roof of the White House, but that’s it.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And ONCE AGAIN, instead of Marge getting called out on her control freak bullshit, Lisa has to learn to be more appreciative of Princess Marge the Martyr’s sacrifices. GIMME A BREAK.

Sadly a trend this season. At least this time Marge has a justified reason to sound as old as she does.

5 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I just kept thinking that of course Lisa goes to college - that’s where she meets Hugh Parkfield.  And old version Marge would have asked Lisa why she didn’t want to go. 

Lisa's Wedding is the gold standard for sure, but to give a hot take, at this point it's seen as the certain future because it's the first one we saw.

• Love 3

I loved all the different cards. And Todd and Rod with old voices. 

I do take the point of Marge being insufferable. In this case, though, no. I just don't buy Lisa not going to college. Strictly just on the means of getting away from the family. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I was a bit upset because Lisa's goal and all the flash-forwards was always college, and it seems erased. But then the end says this was just a possibility.

I agree with you all about Marge. Lisa becomes freaking President and Marge still wants her to admit she made a mistake by not going to college. Ugh!

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I loved all the different cards. And Todd and Rod with old voices. 

I do take the point of Marge being insufferable. In this case, though, no. I just don't buy Lisa not going to college. Strictly just on the means of getting away from the family. 

Certainly OOC to be sure. But if anyone can still get to the top without a college degree, it’s Lisa Simpson.

57 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

And old version Marge would have asked Lisa why she didn’t want to go.

Yes, the Marge of yore would have done that. She also would have suggested Lisa maybe not rushing into college if she felt that way instead of just being all “you’ve got one week to think about it and then go to college!”

This is why I prefer Homer/Lisa episodes to Marge/Lisa episodes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Certainly OOC to be sure. But if anyone can still get to the top without a college degree, it’s Lisa Simpson.

Yes, the Marge of yore would have done that. She also would have suggested Lisa maybe not rushing into college if she felt that way instead of just being all “you’ve got one week to think about it and then go to college!”

This is why I prefer Homer/Lisa episodes to Marge/Lisa episodes.

It was also silly that she did not just select a college and just do a gap year before making the final decision.

Maybe they need to do an episode where Marge would see what her life would be like if she never married Homer...more and more it seems like she kind of hates her life.

Also, don't you have to be at least 35 to be president (maybe they changed that law in the future). 

(edited)
16 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Also, don't you have to be at least 35 to be president (maybe they changed that law in the future). 

They weren't clear about how much of a timeskip happens between Lisa deciding not to go to college to being elected president.

16 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Maybe they need to do an episode where Marge would see what her life would be like if she never married Homer...more and more it seems like she kind of hates her life.

The Last Temptation of Homer answers this question: SHE becomes president.

And there's quite a few episodes that explain that Marge gave up her life once Homer entered it.

Edited by Galileo908

It was an ok episode, but I think they have tapped out these look-into-the-future episodes.
And I just don't buy Lisa not going to college.

I really liked the Lisa's Wedding episode -- this one paled in comparison.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

They weren't clear about how much of a timeskip happens between Lisa deciding not to go to college to being elected president.

The Last Temptation of Homer answers this question: SHE becomes president.

And there's quite a few episodes that explain that Marge gave up her life once Homer entered it.

I’m kind of sick of the narrative that life just happened to Marge and it was all just bad luck. She chose to have unprotected sex with Homer (3 times), be a housewife, and her life is not that bad.

At this point Marge grew up in the 80’s and would have more options in life.
Heck, she is lucky her husband makes enough to support a family of 5 with one income.

I just started watching again this season after a really long hiatus so I probably missed a lot.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

I’m kind of sick of the narrative that life just happened to Marge and it was all just bad luck. She chose to have unprotected sex with Homer (3 times), be a housewife, and her life is not that bad.

At this point Marge grew up in the 80’s and would have more options in life.
Heck, she is lucky her husband makes enough to support a family of 5 with one income.

I just started watching again this season after a really long hiatus so I probably missed a lot.

THANK YOU!

I’m sick of the narrative that everything wrong with Marge’s life is Homer’s fault. It’s not. Plenty of mothers still have careers. Marge is the one that acts like mundane housework is the greatest calling in life, and the days when she had ambition to do anything more of long been behind her. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

THANK YOU!

I’m sick of the narrative that everything wrong with Marge’s life is Homer’s fault. It’s not. Plenty of mothers still have careers. Marge is the one that acts like mundane housework is the greatest calling in life, and the days when she had ambition to do anything more of long been behind her. 

Marge could have even gone to community college or gotten a degree online.

The truth is she has never been shown to be intellectually curious beyond her interest in art.

Just because Marge was decent at school (or at least better than Homer) does not mean she was destined for greatness.

She hates her life with Homer...well don’t have three kids with him and get a divorce.

If Marge is 42 than that means she was born in 1979..the height of women’s lib.

She would be college age in the 90’s...hardly a time women were forced to give up their dreams and become housewives.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, qtpye said:

If Marge is 42 than that means she was born in 1979..the height of women’s lib.

She would be college age in the 90’s...hardly a time women were forced to give up their dreams and become housewives.

That's one of the problems with writing a character who was originally conceived of as a Baby Boomer (and is still largely written by Boomers) but who is supposed to be nearly the same age in 2021 as she was in 1989. In a couple of seasons Homer and Marge will be Millennials (they are already Xennials) and I'm sure she'll still be a housewife.

I have to admit one joke I did enjoy was Bart's "it's somehow still cool" given The Simpsons themselves pointed out only last year (in 'Highway to Well') that legalisation has robbed marijuana of much of it's supposed 'coolness' and that future Bart's business is probably about as hip as if he was marketing vitamins.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm just happy to see a return to hopeful futures for Bart and Lisa after a lot of the more "grounded" future  episodes where one or both of them seems to be completely miserable. In particular a return to a Lisa who isn't in a wreck of a marriage with Milhouse was refreshing. And while I miss Lawyer/Justice Bart, I'll take pot CEO who smokes it up on the white house roof over the miserable divorced dad whose kids hate him.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 4
(edited)

I liked the Flying Hellfish callback, but not that "Old Man Yells At Cloud" has context behind it now.

Stephen Fry was really enjoyable as Terrence. I liked the reveal that he was delusional the whole time.

I enjoyed the random Orson Welles cameo. (EDIT: Turns out it, and the reference to Joseph Cotten Candy, was a shout out to The Third Man. Shows how much I know)

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

Though.....didn’t we find out in the Stonecutters episode Grandpa is a Communist? 

It’s been forever since I’ve seen The Third Man but I got a few of the shoutouts - the music, the Ferris Wheel, Joseph Cotten Candy, and of course Orson Wells.

Stephen Fry!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Though.....didn’t we find out in the Stonecutters episode Grandpa is a Communist? 

And apparently Homer, too, if his rant in Simpson Tide was any indication. (He took Grampa's card)

52 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I enjoyed the random Orson Welles cameo. (EDIT: Turns out it, and the reference to Joseph Cotten Candy, was a shout out to The Third Man. Shows how much I know)

I was actually wondering about that. The Third Man is one of the greatest movies ever made but do most people know about it nowadays? If you haven’t seen it, it’s really worth watching. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I was actually wondering about that. The Third Man is one of the greatest movies ever made but do most people know about it nowadays? If you haven’t seen it, it’s really worth watching. 

I'm a huge fan of The Third Man and I just sort of naturally assumed that it is so well known and famous that everyone would get the references. I was a little shocked to see how many people on-line seemed completely unfamiliar with it. 

I suppose that goes to show though. I'm a film buff and I have a nerdy taste for classic era films and in those circles The Third Man has legendary status. I think I might have overestimated how familiar mainstream people are with it these days. 

6 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I don’t know The Third Man, and episodes that focus on Grandpa are not my favorites so I didn’t really enjoy this one. Maybe I’ll watch the movie someday.

I'll confess, I didn't even finish this one.

Barbarian that I am, I'm not familiar with The Third Man or Stephen Fry, and I had just finished a Family Guy that I didn't think was so great so maybe my palette was tainted, but I just wasn't feeling this ep.  I bailed after the first or second commercial break and resumed binge-watching The Office.  

I'll probably go back and try it again.  I really am a huge fan, right back to the early days.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/19/2021 at 1:14 AM, nuraman00 said:

Questions I have about this episode:

1)  There were 5 portraits of Mr. Burns, mocking other fast food restaurants.

I'm not 100% sure of the one on the right.

The ones I got were:  Mr. Burns as Colonel Sanders; Jack In The Box; Burger King; Wendys.

Was the one all the way on the right, supposed to be McDonalds, and Mr. Burns as The Hamburglar?

Is the one on the right supposed to be Mayor McCheese?

pyfhj4V.jpg

Edited by nuraman00
  • Love 1
(edited)

Season 32, ep 22: 

The Last Barfighter

After Moe breaks their most sacred rule, a secret society of bartenders seeks ultimate vengeance on Homer and his friends.

Airs 5/23/21

Edited by Galileo908

Season finale time!

We finally get to see Bumblebee Man's show! And it was delightfully weird! And Bart won some Crystal Skull vodka tequila from it. ("From my least favorite Indiana Jones movie and most favorite Shia LeBouf movie!"). I really liked Moe having drunken adventures with the guys, with the bottle of Crystal Skull (it got its teeth whitened with everyone else). I also liked the concept of The Confidential, a bar where bartenders tell their patron's secrets to other bartenders, with rules more strict than The Stonecutters.

I liked everyone's secrets, but especially Quimby being the mayor of another town.

"You're worse than a mean drunk, you're an honest drunk!" Yep, so true.

"This is the most expensive thing I've had in my mouth since my dad's gun!" Wow, that was a dark joke, even from Moe. 

Oh no, Sober Homer is SUCCESSFUL! and A GOOD FATHER?! Yeah, creepy. But I like how since all the bartenders in town were able to sober everyone up, they could also be summon to re-booze Homer. 

Season finale time!

We finally get to see Bumblebee Man's show! And it was delightfully weird! And Bart won some Crystal Skull vodka tequila from it. ("From my least favorite Indiana Jones movie and most favorite Shia LeBouf movie!"). I really liked Moe having drunken adventures with the guys, with the bottle of Crystal Skull (it got its teeth whitened with everyone else). I also liked the concept of The Confidential, a bar where bartenders tell their patron's secrets to other bartenders, with rules more strict than The Stonecutters.

I liked everyone's secrets, but especially Quimby being the mayor of another town.

"This is the most expensive thing I've had in my mouth since my dad's gun!" Wow, that was a dark joke, even from Moe. 

Oh no, Sober Homer is SUCCESSFUL! and A GOOD FATHER?! Yeah, creepy. But I like how since all the bartenders in town were able to sober everyone up, they could also be summon to re-booze Homer. 

That's a wrap for season 32! See you all in the fall!

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Season finale time!

The only problem is that Homer going sober has already been done before -- Season 4 "Duffless" episode.  Homer stops drinking after getting arrested for drunk driving and becomes a better husband.

The secret bartenders society was an interesting addition.

Moe running an omelette bar was pretty funny ... because it was so sad.

ETA:  Corrected the season when the Episode "Duffless" appeared to Season 4.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

We finally get to see Bumblebee Man's show! And it was delightfully weird!

I don't know if you've seen Sabado Gigante, but it was like that. There's an interview, then everyone is singing. And there's a game show with no rules. 

I would have liked more of the confidential. 

(edited)
43 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know if you've seen Sabado Gigante, but it was like that. There's an interview, then everyone is singing. And there's a game show with no rules. 

Oh, I have. And like Krusty, the format of Bumblebee Man's show is different every time we see it. It's traditionally more of a sitcom or sketch show. 

43 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I would have liked more of the confidential. 

Same. But I'd think it would be covering ground we've already seen with the Stonecutters or the Kingsman parody from one of the Treehouse of Horrors.

Matt Selman said on his twitter that it was inspired by John Wick, but for bartenders.

2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

So what do you think the only drink served in The Confidential is (or did they say and I missed it)?

It was "the usual," but I'd like to think that it's different for every bartender.

3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The only problem is that Homer going sober has already been done before -- Season 6 "Duffless" episode.  Homer stops drinking after getting arrested for drunk driving and becomes a better husband.

There have been numerous examples that Homer becomes a better person the moment he gets sober, but this is one of the few times it's been this explicit.

Also, Duffless was season 4.

Edited by Galileo908

Nice sendup of the John Wick franchise, right down to having Ian McShane be the caretaker of the Confidential, the mysterious keys, and the network of "operatives",

For those who haven't seen the movies, the hotel is called the Continental, and it is hallowed ground for spies and hitmen where no one can be harmed.

• Useful 1

I have to agree Marge became someone I dislike. Remember the early episode where she painted Mr. Burns? Homer lost a few pounds and she was so proud.

It was kind of a shock stumbling on that episode and seeing how sweet she acted. She’d probably roll her eyes now and make a mean comment about his yo-yo dieting.

• Love 2