Type keyword(s) to search

The Simpsons - General Discussion

nymusix
  • Start Topic

On 3/8/2020 at 8:10 PM, Taeolas said:

By the way, if you are fans, "Onward" is in theatres now and has a Simpsons short at the start. A cute Maggie story, and probably one of the funnest stories I've seen them do in awhile. 

I just watched Maggie Simpson and her Play date with Destiny and it was the funniest the show has been in a long time.   Then again I have always thought that Maggie is the most consistently well written character on the show for some reason.   

• Love 2

S31 Ep20: Warrin' Priests Part 2

In Michigan, Reverend Lovejoy uncovers the reason why Bode left and came to Springfield; when the congregation learns of his crime, they must decide whether to banish their new priest.

Airs 5/3/20

Title: "I hope you watched part one!"

Bilboard: Dr. Pimplepopper All Day Blackhead marathon

Chalkboard: I will stop reminding the principal that I have a later bedtime than he does.

Couch Gag: "Show parodies other show." I take it this was Succession?

Oh boy, this didn't disappoint (a rarity for this show these days).  I really enjoyed Lisa's song (and there was more to it but cut for time. We had a really well animated monkey in place of it), and how she parsed the Bible (Racist, Sexist, Incest, Unfair to Hittites). I also liked her vision board. I noticed Mr. Bergstrom and Princess the Pony on there.

And just like Lovejoy before him, one Ned Flanders tried to break the new pastor. Tried.

So Bode burned the Bible when he was 19 and dumb. Yeah, that'll get you kicked out of town. I actually felt bad when he left. Yeah, we gotta hit the reset button, but this time they managed to make it sting.

I got a big laugh out of NPR commenting on wrestling.

"And that Sea Captain guy. That dude is surprisingly woke."

"I know this is a weird thing to say in church but: we need proof."

"Malpractice makes malperfect."

"Blessed be the POOR?! I'm just finding this out NOW?!"

"It's a short story but I'm gonna milk it."

"This is what'd it be like if they believed in God in Hawaii."

• Love 1
(edited)

Burns had the Ark too. Why didn't Bode have a beer? Priests can drink. 

When the hell did Maggie learn to play the horn? 

I don't know if the show was mocking church but that's what I took from it. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
(edited)

So we got a shot of Apu in church.  I thought he was being written out because the character was so "problematic."  Of course they didn't have him speak since I believe I read that Dan Castellaneta would not be voicing him anymore. 

ETA:  Oops, that was Hank Azaria, not Dan C.

Edited by cdnalor
wrong name

I laughed really hard at Homer's drunken confession about the "mother bear in the toilet paper commercial."  I also liked the way he spit out his beer when Bode asked if Flanders had ever annoyed him.

Blessed Buy Megachurch
Burger King of Kings

Stores in the Megachurch:
-- Java Jesus
-- Orange Judas
-- Spare Them Lord (bowling alley)
-- First Corinthians Bank

Holy Cow menu options:
-- Why Are We Here ?
-- Okay to Be Gay ?
-- Parking Validation
-- Other Faiths Ranked from "Wrong" to "Wrongest"
-- Bad Samaritan
-- Good Samaritan
-- Monthly Auto-Pay
-- Donate with Bitcoin
-- Rapture

Abe: "I haven't met a Hittite who wasn't trying to expand his empire into Egypt.   Why the Hittites, worse than the Canaanites."

• Love 1

I forgot to say that I didn't care for the part where the Rally Monkey appeared on the video screen at the mega-church.  It made me have flashbacks!

Flanders' behavior in this episode reminded me of how much I disliked the episode where Todd lost his faith.  Flanders cruelly throws a sad little boy out of his house and ends up getting his way in the end without ever having to think for a second that he might have been out of line.  I don't remember him being that much of an ass in earlier episodes (though I admittedly tend to forget episodes not long after they air the past decade or so).

• Love 1
22 hours ago, cdnalor said:

So we got a shot of Apu in church.  I thought he was being written out because the character was so "problematic."  Of course they didn't have him speak since I believe I read that Dan Castellaneta would not be voicing him anymore. 

Hank Azaria voiced Apu and said he wouldn't do the voice anymore.  The show never said what they were going to do with the character... it appears that they have decided to have him still around on the show, but not talking.  I guess this means no more trips to the Kwik E Mart unless Homer and Bart simply just avoid talking to him.

Frankly, I hated this episode.  I didn't really care about Bode.  I really dislike Lisa, and the fact that this episode turned into yet another Lisa-centric episode where she stands up and fights for her beliefs is a non-starter for me.

We did get Helen Lovejoy, and I was so disappointed that she didn't utter her signature line, "won't somebody PLEASE think of the children".  I feel like it's been a long time since she's said it.

• Love 1

Season 31, Ep22: The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds

Lisa makes a new friend who loves horses, but then becomes part of a circle of snooty yuong rich girls; Homer takes Marge on a romantic cruise.

Airs 5/10/20

"I forgot how handsome you are when you make the slightest effort." Says a lot about Homer and Marge's relationship.

It finally took them this long to put Lisa with other horse girls and surprise surprise, they're all rich and mean. Also they were all voiced by women from Riverdale. They really reminded me of the country club women from Marge's Chanel dress episode, in a good way. 

Speaking of which, the 13 Reasons Why spoof was 100% dead on in the twenty seconds we saw. (I honestly thought it was Riverdale, but all those teen drama shows look the same)

"I'm gonna ask her ghost to the prom."

Ha, Jurassic Park theme playing in the background for the horses...and there's a dinosaur in the background.

I liked that Grampa's cell phone had a rotary dial. And of course Skinner is a terrible lyft driver. I also appreciated that Weezer didn't technically play themselves, but a lame yacht rock cover band of themselves.

The moral of Homer and Marge's story: Don't ever make plans to go out, stay home. Once again they predicted the future.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Also they were all voiced by women from Riverdale.

I watch Riverdale, but if I hadn’t been tipped off to this I never would have noticed till the end credits.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, opus said:

I watch Riverdale, but if I hadn’t been tipped off to this I never would have noticed till the end credits.

Same here -- didn't recognize any of the voices of any of the Riverdale actresses (Lili, Madeline or Camila).  Though the 3 mean girls were blonde, brunette and redhead which will tell you which character is played by which actress, maybe ?

Loved Comic Book Guy's double reference -- Star Wars and Dune in one sentence.
CBG: " Your Mos Eisley fracas has utterly harshed my Arrakeen Spicebuzz.  That's right -- a two reference complaint."

The Jurassic Park reference for the herd of horses was pretty good -- especially with the brachiosaur strolling by in the background.

'Thank God I'm Dead 'video warnings:
-- Warning -- The Following Subject Matter is not suitable for Teenagers, Pre-Teenagers or Post-Teenagers.  May Cause Unstoppable Nightmares & Night Terrors
-- Caution -- This Program has been classified as "Scary," "Troubling," and "All Jacked Up"
-- Warning -- This Program Contains Images, Ideas and Thoughts that, according to the FCC, could "Really Mess You Up"
-- Sensitive Subject Matter -- The following is adult content targeted at teenagers and is not intended to be viewed on sleepovers
-- Extremely Traumatic Content -- Even just reading these warnings has been proven to create anxiety in pre-teen lab mice
-- Caution -- The following program is so scary, it made one of our censors quit.  He's now working in consumer marketing or something like that.  We've lost touch.
-- Warning -- The following content is not appropriate for audiences
-- Rated NC-45 -- Should only be viewed by adults with grief counselors holding their hands

Bart: "And, it's the Oldmanapolis 500 but he spun out into Dead Man's crack."

Juan StarNoTip -- that's pretty funny.

Weezer's "The Simpons Theme" was the same version from the Simpsons movie if I'm not mistaken.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Weezer's "The Simpons Theme" was the same version from the Simpsons movie if I'm not mistaken.

Weezer has become the very thing they've hated: a cover band that dads like.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I liked how when Homer mentioned the docks, Marge thought that he wanted her to help him look for sunglasses he lost six years ago and said that he needed to give up.  Of course at the end, a bird returned his sunglasses.

• Love 1

What awful girls and the worst is the one who made friends with Lisa just to sacrifice her.

I always like episodes when Bart will destroy others for Lisa. Just because he makes fun of her doesn't mean anyone else can.

Rather meh on the episode in general. But I did like the ending. Bart coming through for Lisa is the classic family action we all love. They are brother and sister, but only Bart can be the #1 Pest in Lisa's life and if anyone else dares hurt her, he'll be there to bring on the hurt. 

I also like that he didn't just do the revenge for her; he made her take the justified actions against the girls. 

• Love 1

When Lisa isn't all self-righteous, I found that I don't mind her.  Here, she was the little sister, and Bart came to help her.  I enjoyed this episode, and the revenge against the nasty girls was great.

Homer getting the sunglasses back was great.

(edited)

Title: Dead pets! Snowball 1, Pinchy, a turtle, and a guinea pig?

Yeah, trying to put a Santa hat on a dog for a fun picture definitely gets you bitten.

Cate Blanchett's character was fun. I was invested in her story. Michael York apparently dug up people for wedding rings before. Yeah, if Michael York was in this episode, why wasn't he Budgie The Vet? His relationship with Cate Blanchett's character would've made sense. SLH's story was interesting, too. It took 31 seasons but now we have SLH's origins. Not exactly WHY he's called Santa's Little Helper, but we got to see his mom. That was sweet.

And so ends another season. Will Season 32 resolve Snowball II's beef with the fish? Probably not.

Little Richard got a tribute at the end. I assume Fred Willard passed too recently to get one, too.

Edited by Galileo908

As a dog lover I really liked this. It struck home because one of the dogs I’ve had, Winnie(She’s the spotted dog in my profile pic actually) was about 3-4 when we got her, and was returned twice to the rescue we got her from. She passed away back in October after 9 years of having her, and while she had a happy life with us, I always wished we could have known more about her history because she definitely had baggage, especially about food. She was always a scrounger and intense about food. I would have loved to know what she had experienced before we got her.

• Love 1

I was surprised that we got a flashback scene from the very, very, very first Simpsons episode.

Oh, Pinchy, how we've missed you.

I'm still trying to figure out why we're getting a Xmas episode in May.

Xmas ornaments on the back of the tree:
-- XXX-mas Greetings from the Spucklers (on a moonshine jug)
-- a wrapped radioactive rod from Mr. Burns, and the card said 'Think of Work on this Holy Day'
-- a gall bladder ornament with a prescription slip with 'Merry Gallstone from Dr. Nick'
-- a damaged Krusty the Klown Xmas ornament that was emitting sparks

Bart: "It ate my shorts.  Oh, now that it's happened it's not so funny."

Sign outside the Springfield Knowledge College:
-- 'How to Flirt' class now 'How to Avoid Sexual Harassment Suit'

Wiggum: "I hope this guy euthanizes better than he drives."

Elaine Woolf: "Santa's Little Helper was a racing dog."
Homer: "Not much of one. I could beat him."

Les Moore: "Boy, suddenly the guy that tortures dogs is the bad guy."

SLH seemed to be suffering more from separation anxiety (being taken from his mom at such a young age) than PTSD from being a racing dog.  Yet, it was Bart's hat from the day of his last race that seemed to be the trigger.

Marge was being an ass trying to get him to wear that hat.

I like that Abe sounded the same to SLH as he does to other people. Just a bunch of jibberish.

• Love 2

I had the Simpsons Christmas Special VHS as a kid, for whatever reason it was I think an Aunt gave it to me for Christmas one year and it ended up being the one Simpsons episode I was allowed to watch until I was in 8th or 9th grade, so I must have seen that episode dozens of times.

Kind of amazing seeing an actual flashback to it, complete with 4:3 aspect ratio.

On 5/10/2020 at 11:47 AM, honeywest said:

Homer: “Lisa’s pet peeve is phonies? I thought she loved them!”

When was this said?  I must have missed it.

On 5/10/2020 at 5:29 PM, Galileo908 said:

"I forgot how handsome you are when you make the slightest effort." Says a lot about Homer and Marge's relationship.

It finally took them this long to put Lisa with other horse girls and surprise surprise, they're all rich and mean. Also they were all voiced by women from Riverdale. They really reminded me of the country club women from Marge's Chanel dress episode, in a good way. 

Speaking of which, the 13 Reasons Why spoof was 100% dead on in the twenty seconds we saw. (I honestly thought it was Riverdale, but all those teen drama shows look the same)

"I'm gonna ask her ghost to the prom."

Ha, Jurassic Park theme playing in the background for the horses...and there's a dinosaur in the background.

I liked that Grampa's cell phone had a rotary dial. And of course Skinner is a terrible lyft driver. I also appreciated that Weezer didn't technically play themselves, but a lame yacht rock cover band of themselves.

The moral of Homer and Marge's story: Don't ever make plans to go out, stay home. Once again they predicted the future.

I missed this, will go back and re-watch this part.

On 5/10/2020 at 8:25 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Juan StarNoTip -- that's pretty funny.

This is the funniest name Bart has come up with in a while.

It's a modern continuation of the type of names he gives Moe on prank calls.

On 5/11/2020 at 2:08 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I liked how when Homer mentioned the docks, Marge thought that he wanted her to help him look for sunglasses he lost six years ago and said that he needed to give up.  Of course at the end, a bird returned his sunglasses.

I was trying to figure out what joke the bird dropping the sunglasses was supposed to be.

I had forgotten that he said he lost his sunglasses.

Thanks.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:16 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Oh, Pinchy, how we've missed you.

Where was he in the episode? 

On 5/17/2020 at 9:16 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Bart: "It ate my shorts.  Oh, now that it's happened it's not so funny."

That was funny.

I watched the last 5 episodes tonight.

They were great, I enjoyed every one. 

The 3 dresses Lisa had for church (Sunday Good, Sunday Better, Sunday Best) was funny. 

The Simpsons is the best at coming up with funny signs / titles.

This bit right here got the biggest laugh from me, in years, from this show:

Anyone know what song is playing in the background?

@ottoDbusdriver, thanks for all of the effort you put into detailing the funny signs, in the episodes.

On 5/12/2020 at 11:15 AM, Snow Apple said:

I always like episodes when Bart will destroy others for Lisa. Just because he makes fun of her doesn't mean anyone else can.

Just wondering.  Has there been a time when Lisa helped Bart deal with some people?

I'm sure it's happened, given how many episodes this series has.  But just wondering if someone can think of a time. 

1 hour ago, nuraman00 said:

I was about to go to sleep, then I thought, could this be a part of Metallica's "The Four Horsemen" that I'm not thinking of?

It would make sense, since there are four of them chasing Bart and Lisa.

So I listened to "The Four Horsemen".  Maybe a tiny part of the rhythm during 4:00 - 4:30 of the song, but without the guitar solo.  But I can't just take out the solo, and say it's from the same song.  

So no, it's not from "The Four Horsemen".

7 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

Where was he in the episode? 

Pinchy was in the opening credits as an angel (he had wings).

7 hours ago, nuraman00 said:

It sounds like a sped up cover of one of the instrumental portions of 'All Along the Watchtower'.

(edited)
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Pinchy was in the opening credits as an angel (he had wings).

It sounds like a sped up cover of one of the instrumental portions of 'All Along the Watchtower'.

That's a good guess.  It's close.

Either from 1:46 - 2:14, or from 2:17 - 2:49.

The solos are still different.  But I do hear some similarities.

Also, the lyrics near the end of the song say "two riders were approaching", so that part fits the scene too.

Edited by nuraman00
(edited)

Does anyone remember a reference to Megadeth, within the past 3 seasons?  I think they were either looking at a MyPod playlist, or some book titles, and I remember the name "Megadeth" being near the end. 

There was also some sex title a few lines above it, don't remember the exact phrasing.

This might be it (but with the sex title during a previous frame)

Does anyone remember this episode?

If I had known people like to keep detailed notes about all of the title gags that are on the show, I probably would have taken a screen shot and posted it on here.

Also, when trying to find where the Megadeth reference could have been, I did come across this:

https://www.metalsucks.net/2020/05/14/check-out-these-hilarious-metal-album-covers-recreated-with-simpsons-characters/

Edited by nuraman00
On 5/23/2020 at 2:29 AM, nuraman00 said:

When was this said?  I must have missed it.

I missed this, will go back and re-watch this part.

nuraman00 It’s from “The Dad Who Knew Too Little.”

• Love 1

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19 so everyone can see the Simpsons panel! It hasn't been assigned a time slot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so to see when this panel will take place.

The Simpsons
They'll never stop The Simpsons...from appearing at Comic-Con, this time on Zoom! Join Al Jean, Matt Selman, David Silverman, Carolyn Omine, Mike B. Anderson and moderator Yeardley Smith and find out how the show has surmounted social distancing and turbulent times en route to season 32!

We're back!

Season 32, Ep 1: Undercover Burns

Mr. Burns goes under cover as "Fred" at the nuclear plant and becomes friends with Homer and the gang; Burns implements all sorts of amenities to improve his employees' lives, but a jealous Smithers plots to bring the old, bitter Burns back.

Airs 9/27/20

Couch Gag: Green Screen!

Wow, since when was the last time we saw Smilin Joe Fission? Or Cooter? And Barney still has the Plow King truck. I was not expecting a callback to the Lady Gaga episode, but Marge was right to not trust her.

I have to say that Put Your Kids to Work Day was hilariously cruel. Of course Burns' tunnel of horrors has a song, that he sings himself!

"Aahh! Accountablility!"

Wow, they found a really great soundalike for Carl. He sounds mostly the same, but a bit older. Speaking of voices, I liked David Harbour as "Fred." He managed to nail Burns' cadence so well. I love when they get people like him to giggle like a schoolgirl. Really liked the Iron Man sequence at the end, with all the other "Freds" in the background.

Phil Rosenthal now joins the list of people who have voiced themselves and a character. (He voiced a nameless father in the movie)

"We're going the way of the Sears Catalog and 20th Century Fox." Ahh, at least the Fox bashing will never end.

• Love 5

I only watched this episode to hear what Carl's new voice sounded like, and it wasn't bad. Neither was this episode. David Harbour playing Fred/Burns was hilarious.

My one complaint: what was the point of shoehorning Marge in this episode for two or three of her lame lines, other than to hear how even more grating Julie's voicework has become? No seriously, if you cut out her bits it wouldn't have made a difference.

• Love 1