Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Dark Waters

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

Felicity's little skip as she mounts the podium that causes her ponytail to flip as if it's joyful too.

It's the little things that SA and EBR put in like those that really sell their relationship.  I can believe it's real because they consciously put the extras in.

(Maybe that's another reason why it's hard for me to buy Barry's relationship are anything other than sibling or adolescent.  GG doesn't do that.)

• Love 7

Honestly I could watch this episode on mute and just enjoy EBR. All the expressions and mannerisms were golden.

EBR might not be the best actress in the Flarrow universe (I believe that honor goes to CP), but she's relatively new to the acting scene and I honestly believe EBR has the potential to be a wonderful actress what with everything she puts into her character now. All the little mannerisms that make Felicity, Felicity, her comedic timing, and EBR is getting a LOT better with the angst.

I truly do expect wonderfully amazing things from her. I can't wait to see where her career goes after Arrow because I honestly believe she has a long career ahead of her :)

• Love 3

And a Flicka movie.

I think part of why she's so good is that she adds thinks to the scenes, as does SA.  You get a real sense of what Felicity is feeling on the inside, like

3) Felicity's little "oh" after he confirms that she's the person he's particularly grateful for.

4) Felicity caressing his dimple and shirtfront during the proposal.

• Love 1

I'll add two more adorable Olicity bits:

The way Oliver put on the ring on her finger. I don't quite know why but it's so adorable how he slipped that ring on her, with a mixture of excitement and nervousness.

tumblr_nz5hweajx11s1pv1uo2_500.gif

This second one might have been mentioned upthread, but I can't remember seeing it. Felicity playing with the dreidel toy's handle in the lair and slipping it on her ring finger like she's testing out what it would look like having something THERE

tumblr_nz5g9sPtWB1rmuqh2o1_250.gif

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 24

Other adorable moments:

The way she shakes her head while she's looking at the ring:

tumblr_nzb85yAvV71tkld6so2_250.gif

The little face she makes at Oliver in the lair:

tumblr_nz5ey6UJzG1s1pv1uo4_250.gif

This adorable face while she's playing with the dreidel:

tumblr_nz5ey6UJzG1s1pv1uo2_250.gif

This other adorable face:

tumblr_nz4cr89lOb1r74nq4o10_250.gif

• Love 16

I just saw a gif on twitter of the moment Oliver says 'Felicity Smoak' just as he's about to propose and in the background you can see Laurel clasp her hands together against her chest like she thinks the moment is so sweet/cute or something. LOL props to KC, I have to admit. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 3

If we're talking about favorite moments, I particularly liked their hug in the jail cell (He's holding her so tightly he has one arm almost completely around her waist):

Ha5Sipy.gif

And a slowed down close-up of the limo kiss (the smiling! the nuzzling!)

wYKFm2q.gif

In retrospect, even if I hadn't been totally spoiled, I would've been waiting for something terrible to happen to Felicity given all the lovely moments in the episode. We can't have nice things without paying for them somehow.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 15

tumblr_nz5sn7K5Aj1ubszlfo2_250.gif

Thea's face here is so adorable! She's so happy for Oliver :') I really hope this means that her and Felicity will interact more because I don't know anyone who sees their future sister-in-law everyday and not want to get to know them and hang out more. 

• Love 22

Thea's face here is so adorable! She's so happy for Oliver :') I really hope this means that her and Felicity will interact more because I don't know anyone who sees their future sister-in-law everyday and not want to get to know them and hang out more. 

This is my favorite Thea face EVER and I want to cuddle it. Hahaha. I just love it so much. I don't think I've ever seen her looking so happy. HEART EYES EVERYWHERE!

And a slowed down close-up of the limo kiss (the smiling! the nuzzling!)

wYKFm2q.gif

In retrospect, even if I hadn't been totally spoiled, I would've been waiting for something terrible to happen to Felicity given all the lovely moments in the episode. We can't have nice things without paying for them somehow.

The nuzzling killed me. They're so in love it's absolutely sickening in the best possible way. These two...

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 12

I have a feeling they cut it for time. The ending of the episode felt like it was cut too soon, too. I thought we'd see more of Oliver being distraught rather than cut immediately to the title card. 

I'm actually more looking forward to Diggle's reaction when he finds out Felicity's been seriously hurt. Well, not looking forward because I don't really want Felicity to be injured but I think DR excels in scenes like that and part of me does want to see how much Felicity means to everyone. I'm terrible, I can't help it.

• Love 6

Gotta go with the cute pleased smile she gets after Oliver says 'holiday party.' Really, though, this ep was an embarrassment of riches in the adorbs department.

tumblr_nz9bmvrfTe1uhebndo4_r3_500.gif

Second that.  It's an amazing trick to turn something that should have been a mundane bit of dialogue into affirmation of how much who Felicity is as a person matters to him and how much he is paying attention.  Her smile is wonderful but she also has this sheen of tears that makes the moment extra poignant.  Ah, so wonderful. 

• Love 17

Speaking of the limo, When Felicity raises her hand to look at her ring, she has to let go of Oliver's hand. Pay attention to his hand!  It's so cute; he's staring at her, and his hand reaches for hers before she lowers it, so he fidgets and then grabs her hand as soon as she lowers it. One of the sweetest Oliver moments ever (2:08-2:18)!

https://youtu.be/PpvgnLpzTyg?t=2m7s

I totally thought that was an EBR/SA ad-lib moment. It looks like SA didn't know what to do with his hand when EBR let go to flash the ring so maybe she didn't do that in their rehearsal  but either way it was utterly adorkable. 

• Love 6

Donna and Thea being there for the proposal is my favorite thing about it being public. Just the fact that they were both so happy for them and got to be there for this moment is really sappy and wonderful.

I thought Dig was blubbering behind someone but now I'm developing another theory. He knew it was happening then. Somehow Oliver manages to let Felicity out of his sight for a minute before the ceremony (though it seems unlikely) and Dig asks him, "What are you waiting for, man? When are you gonna ask her?" "Tonight." So maybe Dig's a bit smug after they leave. "Oh, yeah, I totally knew it was happening here. Can you believe that sap?" He's also grateful that Oliver clued him in so that he didn't let out a screech to rival Donna's, but he doesn't say that.

• Love 3

You know, this page simply doesn't have enough gifs.

tumblr_nzbn41gPdx1qktm28o3_500.gif

Hey, has it been pointed out that Dig is the one who actually mentions dark waters? He says that Andy pulled him out of them during their confrontation. Really hoping for the reveal of what exactly he was talking about after the break. I assume it's after Dig's tour of duty when he was suffering from PTSD and Lyla went back to another tour.

• Love 4

My head canon as to why they didn't show more of Dig's reaction is that his joy and I knew it reaction would have broken the camera lens. Ain't nobody ship Olicity harder onscreen than Dig. Can you imagine what his response would be? It would be priceless. The camera just couldn't handle the emotions that Dig was radiating in that moment.

• Love 4

Although they didn't do a close up of Diggle, they did do a couple of wide shots that had him in.  In the first he's looking stoic (that was right after Oliver proposed, but before Felicity said yes) and in the second he's smiling and clapping and it looks like he makes a whooping noise (that's when they're hugging).

• Love 3

I saw him smiling and clapping but not whooping. Guess I'll just have to watch the scene again. Oh, the hardship. Speaking of whooping, if Tommy were alive and not turned evil, you know he would have been catcalling.

• Love 4

Second that.  It's an amazing trick to turn something that should have been a mundane bit of dialogue into affirmation of how much who Felicity is as a person matters to him and how much he is paying attention.  Her smile is wonderful but she also has this sheen of tears that makes the moment extra poignant.  Ah, so wonderful. 

It reminded me so much of one of their earlier interactions: the "don't you knock" scene in season 1 (episode 9). It seemed like a throwaway line, just meant to indicate Felicity's surprise at being disturbed by Oliver, especially as she was going through Walter's list. Oliver, of course, responds with "This is the IT Dept., Felicity, not the ladies room." But what does he do the very next visit, which isn't until episode 11? Oliver actually knocks! I mean, he still saunters in, but the boy knocked and my heart just melted. I don't think I was shipping them at that point but I was definitely on my way. 

As for the lack of a closeup of Dig's reaction to the proposal, it's funny, but CBS' VP for digital marketing, whose name escapes me now, actually noted that during the broadcast and tweeted a GIF of Dig from "Legacies," I think, nodding and smiling.

• Love 14

Wonder why they skipped Diggles reaction. Didn't want to see us see him cry tears of joy? Roll his eyes with it being so charming?

I kind of hope that the person who made the hilarious "Diggle ships Olicity" videos on YT will make another one to right that wrong...although I don't think there's enough material as of late. Diggle has been separated from O/F for almost the whole season so far, save for one episode imo. The embargo on OTA is seemingly still going on, even during the better episodes. Boo.

Quentin smiling at Donna and being so smitten with her made me forget all about the nonsense vendetta that I didn't see in S3. Just like O/F in the season opener made me forget about the S3 OOC crap that I didn't see, mostly. I guess that good actors with great chemistry to that to weak minds like mine.

I want Quentin and Donna to elope in Vegas like yesterday. And see everyone's reaction. Comedy gold. Plus, Donna can make sure that Quentin stays in her beloved son in law's camp. Win-win. Yeah, I love Quentin/Donna.

• Love 4

I've just been wondering ..... if Donna and Quentin met two? three? weeks earlier and he still didn't know that she's Felicity's mother, what do they talk about anyway?  Just the name "Smoak" would have been a dead giveaway.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

I've just been wondering ..... if Donna and Quentin met two? three? weeks earlier and he still didn't know that she's Felicity's mother, what do they talk about anyway?  Just the name "Smoak" would have been a dead giveaway.

Maybe they haven't spent any time talking? ;) Kidding aside, it does seem a bit irresponsible on Quentin's part not to check out the woman he's seeing. Unless he was just absolutely floored and charmed by the ball of sunshine that is Donna Smoak that the cop in him just went into hibernation.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 6

I don't know how much they've actually seen each other.  When Donna introduced Quentin as her boyfriend Lance sounded shocked.  He even said something like Boyfriend?  I thought this was just a date.  You'd think they'd know each others last names even if this is just the first date after meeting at the end of 406.  Sadly, that was all done just to get the comedy moment but it worked so I can't slam them too hard.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

Good question. I've befriended people in bars and sometimes even after months (not if you go everyday, but once in a while) in my experience, people don't exchange last names as an obligation. It's part of the bar thing imo, everybody talks about their lives but nobody asks for details if they aren't provided spontaneously. In this case, I think that Quentin might not want to mention he's the chief of police (cops tend to not share easily) and I think that Donna wouldn't say her last name because she's protective of Felicity and wouldn't spout everywhere that she's the mother of the CEO of What Should Be Queen Consolidated Again. Even if it was love at first sight. Especially if it was love at first sight.

Maybe they haven't spent any time talking? ;) Kidding aside, it does seem a bit irresponsible on Quentin's part not to check out the woman he's seeing. Unless he was just absolutely floored and charmed by the ball of sunshine that is Donna Smoak that the cop in him just went into hibernation.

Mind. Off the gutter. Now.

Well, since Quentin is a smart man with good taste, he was blind-sided and besotted by Sunshine Donna. And Darhk clearly seems to go for machine guns rather than honey traps, so...

I'd love to see Quentin realize what a strong woman Donna is when she stands by him and helps him survive the loss of a loved one. Just saying.

I don't know how much they've actually seen each other.  When Donna introduced Quentin as her boyfriend Lance sounded shocked.  He even said something like Boyfriend?  I thought this was just a date.

I think it's their first date after whatever happened that made Donna call him her boyfriend, after they hit it off in the bar, indeed.

Can I have Sara meet Donna and tell her "you're cute", while smiling to Felicity?

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 8

I've got to think that her last name is Smoak and that Felicity kept her mother's name, given that 

Tom Amandes is already credited as Noah Kuttler.

Or at least, that's always been my head canon. Here's hoping that Lance and Donna get onto more speaking terms, just so she can find out what family she's getting herself into.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 1

At least she chose a good time to hook up with Q since the family drama is at an all time low for the moment. But maybe this will force the writers to keep the Lances light if they both make it to next season.

To be fair, they kept the Lances light in spite of the potential for thick dark heavy drama, imo.

Sara didn't resent Laurel for bringing her back, re:Buffy.

Lance didn't resent Laurel for it either, although it pushed him on the verge of mercy-killing the daughter he turned dark for in S3.

Laurel didn't resent Lance for turning Darhk for her -as far as we know so far. 

Random thought. What would a Malcolm/Donna meeting look like? And why isn't Moira here anymore to meet her...I will never, ever stop regretting it.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

I feel protective of Donna since I think Malcolm would just railroad and manipulate her so I'm good if they don't meet till the wedding.  I'm sure there are women aplenty in Nanda Parbat to meet his needs.

Speaking of Quentin, he was smiling and applauding when Oliver proposed to Felicity.  I suspect a good deal of it was because Oliver was getting engaged to someone who is not one of his daughters.

• Love 7

I thought Dig was blubbering behind someone but now I'm developing another theory. He knew it was happening then. Somehow Oliver manages to let Felicity out of his sight for a minute before the ceremony (though it seems unlikely) and Dig asks him, "What are you waiting for, man? When are you gonna ask her?" "Tonight." So maybe Dig's a bit smug after they leave. "Oh, yeah, I totally knew it was happening here. Can you believe that sap?" He's also grateful that Oliver clued him in so that he didn't let out a screech to rival Donna's, but he doesn't say that.

If you watch Digg's expression as Oliver pulls Felicity up on stage, he totally knew. Somebody make a gif! Big thanks to everyone adding the clips. I could watch them all again and again. We do have until January 20th to analyze every frame.

Edited by Sasha
  • Love 1

I feel protective of Donna since I think Malcolm would just railroad and manipulate her so I'm good if they don't meet till the wedding.  I'm sure there are women aplenty in Nanda Parbat to meet his needs.

Oh, I didn't think of anything romantic. It actually would be interesting if she saw right through him and was unimpressed, or remembered that he was guilty of the destruction of the Glades. I can imagine Malcolm's face.

• Love 1

Part of the reason I wanted to have Bratva be part of PapaSmoak from his potential Vegas days is because I really wanted to see Donna handle the big burly men. Her firecracker personality I think would make an interesting combination to some knucklehead Mafia guys... Maybe they can still do it in s5, even without the Papa connection.

• Love 2
Random thought. What would a Malcolm/Donna meeting look like? And why isn't Moira here anymore to meet her...I will never, ever stop regretting it.

Yeah, Moira and Donna never getting to meet is always gonna bring me down. But Malcolm and Donna have potential. Especially if she turns to Thea and goes, He's your father? Oh, I'm so sorry, sweetie.

Speaking of Quentin, he was smiling and applauding when Oliver proposed to Felicity.  I suspect a good deal of it was because Oliver was getting engaged to someone who is not one of his daughters.

Ha! It makes sense though.

If you watch Digg's expression as Oliver pulls Felicity up on stage, he totally knew. Somebody make a gif! Big thanks to everyone adding the clips. I could watch them all again and again. We do have until January 20th to analyze every frame.

I happily accept your interpretation.

They should've shown a close up of this tbh

tumblr_nzbumm4UVx1tv0s9co1_400.gif

Also I remember someone wanted a closeup of Oliver putting the ring on Felicity's finger... here's the gif

tumblr_nzb7w8pqhi1sfjmvho6_250.gif

Frankly, I find that reaction by Dig pretty sedate. But I console myself with imagining him getting Roy on a secure line ASAP and going, Whoo! It's finally happening. And then they giggle and gush about coordinating for the wedding.

I would like a gif of the shot before this one when Oliver goes to put the ring on and his hand shakes.

• Love 4

I would like a gif of the shot before this one when Oliver goes to put the ring on and his hand shakes.

This one starts a couple seconds before the other gifs. Not sure if it includes the hand shaking you're thinking of.

tumblr_nz4f7arLh81qd9k4so6_250.gif

You know, this page simply doesn't have enough gifs.

tumblr_nzbn41gPdx1qktm28o3_500.gif

Look at that huge grin! I've always said how it was such a shame the show never let Oliver smile because SA has such a gorgeous one, and I'm so happy that they made up for it in spades in the first half of this season. (Maybe not so much in 4B, unfortunately)

• Love 8

Holy shit look at EBRs muscles 

tumblr_nz4h3etJcT1ubszlfo1_500.gif

You guys who are so handy with the gif-making - can you make a montage of Felicity's go-to move of hitting people with blunt objects?  She whacked that guy over the head with a chair-leg(?) in 2x01 (about half-way through the episode) to save Oliver when they were being attacked at QC.  Then she whacked that assassin over the back with a stick(?) in 3x20 (about 3/4s of the way through the episode) in Nanda Parbat.  And then this...  It's pretty great that she's got a tried and tested "kick-ass" move to use in a crisis.

Edited by Ceylon5
  • Love 4

You guys who are so handy with the gif-making - can you make a montage of Felicity's go-to move of hitting people with blunt objects?  She whacked that guy over the head with a chair-leg(?) in 2x01 (about half-way through the episode) to save Oliver when they were being attacked at QC.  Then she whacked that assassin over the back with a stick(?) in 3x20 (about 3/4s of the way through the episode) in Nanda Parbat.  And then this...  It's pretty great that she's got a tried and tested "kick-ass" move to use in a crisis.

Ask and you shall receive. Pistol whipping Cooper is an added bonus.

tumblr_nz6a4j2wc51tnck0ko1_500.gif

tumblr_nz6a4j2wc51tnck0ko2_500.gif

tumblr_nz6a4j2wc51tnck0ko3_500.gif

tumblr_nz6a4j2wc51tnck0ko4_500.gif

Source

• Love 16