Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot / S01.E02: Evil Twin

Ana (Eva Longoria) gets a big surprise when her former husband joins the cast of her telenovela in the series premiere of this sitcom that goes backstage at a Latino soap opera, with focus on a spicy TV star and the show's lively cast and crew.

Ana implements an honesty policy to end all the secrets at the show, but the new rule is severely tested by a workplace romance and a surprise visitor.

Surprised no action in here! I watched both episodes, hoping to pick up a bit of Spanish. No just kidding, it's surprising how little Spanish was spoken. They make a joke of Eva Longoria not speaking the language. Which they have no choice but to do I guess.

There is practically an entire genre of the non-Spanish speaking 'Latinas' - Superstore, Jane the Virgin, and now this one. Whereas Zachary Levi produces the goods, language-wise. It's almost as if he studied the language or something.

Besides that lots of characters and color. Longoria is a good sport and maybe it will be okay.

I watched the two episodes the other night, and the one on demand. I enjoyed them all. I thought the on demand episode was the best so far.

It reminds me of the movie "Soapdish," which was a spoof of soap operas back in the 1980s.

Plus, hot, muscular Latin men, so I'm in.

• Love 4

Chiming in to say I really enjoyed this show. The first episode more than the second, but overall it was just silly fun. Like if they took the Wilhemina portion of Ugly Betty and made that a sitcom. And at the end of the first episode when Eva was walking in that green dress, it reminded me of a promo from Desperate Housewives (not to mention Eva hasn't aged a day).

Gael (the cop) is super hot and I appreciate the shirtlessness. I'm not sold on Javi - he doesn't seem to really fit in but I'll give him time.

Oh, and I laughed a lot at the opening with everyone being blown away by the wind. 

It was cheesy good fun.  One thing I always liked that about Eva is she does physical comedy fairly well and her meeting with Zachary Levi and her dress coming undone made me laugh.

This show won't last.  But I'll watch it until it gets pulled.

• Love 4

It was cheesy good fun.  One thing I always liked that about Eva is she does physical comedy fairly well and her meeting with Zachary Levi and her dress coming undone made me laugh.

This show won't last.  But I'll watch it until it gets pulled.

I couldn't stop laughing in that part too! 

• Love 1

"Soapdish" was the first thing I thought of too. Soap operas are always ripe for parody.

I'd go as far as saying that the pilot was a condensed summary of the plot of Soapdish minus

the niece/daughter

and

Montana/Milton

The second and third episode feel like they are walking away from the premise.  It certainly is either written by someone who doesn't know the genre well enough to satirize it beyond the major tropes (like evil twin) or its just not that well written.

I feel like this was written by someone that got assigned to create the show based on a memo hat said Jane the Virgin meets 30 Rock.

The "I was in a coma, woke up, hit my head and went back into a coma" which fit OK, although "I was in a coma, got pregnant, woke up, went blind (for 6 weeks, it's never more than 6 weeks), had the baby, and went on trial for killing the father" would be more accurate.

I'm watching the first episode right now and I love it. It reminds me of one of my favorite Psych episodes and the under-rated movie Soap Dish

I had the exact same thought. The actress who played Isabela (and her twin) was the same actress playing the lead in the fake Spanish soap opera in the Psych episode "Lights, Camera, Homicidio"!

• Love 1

Just stumbled on to this tonight. I thought it was fun... and yes, totally Soapdish. I've never been specifically an Eva Longoria fan, but she was pretty funny and I loved her exit from Zachary Levi's office  with the dress coming apart.

I also loved Gael's reaction to realizing Isabela's sister was the evil(er) twin and his "You forgot the legs."   Rodrigo was also cute and I sorta loved him Saving Gael from his stress eating stress spiral. 

I liked Javi well enough in the pilot, but the second episode I was totally indifferent to him and bored by his stunt subplot.

Edited by RachelKM

I expected to hate this show and I was pleasantly surprised. I've never been an Eva L. fan and I usually find NBC comedies to not be that funny. However, this was a really good change and I'm going to keep watching, I think. 

Watching now on VOD and I am enjoying it a lot. I like La Longoria so much and she has comedic chops. She reminds me of Sandra Bullock in her wackiness especially when she is breaking into the boat flailing around with the tire iron. "Why is everything so far away?"

That was a cute line. 

• Love 2

Okay, yes I'm very late, but I just now watched the first episode. Like several others, I liked how it was basically Soapdish and that awesome Psych episode, so I don't really have anything to add. But I just have to mention (and can't believe no one else did) that the one dude dropped his fork on to the restroom floor and then continued using it.