Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Treating people like serfs doesn't increase productivity, no matter how many times you change the managers.

Absolutely right. The corporate mindset of today is to never look past the next quarter. Never have a long term view.  And the Peter Principle is the order of the day.

• Love 7

i have worked for a number of very different companies....

loved working for the small ones where i was the only office person..

the bigger dealerships i worked for tho, had absolutely no employee loyalty but demanded unfettered loyalty from the employees.

got in mega shit for "disrespecting" the service manager, who was supposedly a devout christian.  i told him he had a black heart and that it should be him or the service writer who should stay until closing time to speak with the customers coming to pick up their vehicle....can't tell you how many times me or the other office clerk still working had to deal with unhappy customers who wondered why the bill was so darn high and what exactly was done to the car.  we would read off the info from the w.o. but could add nothing else when asked "why was that done"?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

oh cs, i will pray for heavy rain and or water bombers...

i agree with peaches, there should be more employers like you and your assistant is a dream come true.

Thank you, Valley. So many people are looking to the sky for relief. 

My AA is a Goddess and will be a full-time employee beginning next Monday. HR dragged their feet, not liking the wage and benefits package I offered her. She has a BCS in information systems, 15 credits short of her master's. She's hilarious, efficient, well liked, cooperative and dives in to any project.

She is a dream come true. I cannot believe my good fortune.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

the bigger dealerships i worked for tho, had absolutely no employee loyalty but demanded unfettered loyalty from the employees.

got in mega shit for "disrespecting" the service manager, who was supposedly a devout christian.  i told him he had a black heart and that it should be him or the service writer who should stay until closing time to speak with the customers coming to pick up their vehicle....can't tell you how many times me or the other office clerk still working had to deal with unhappy customers who wondered why the bill was so darn high and what exactly was done to the car.  we would read off the info from the w.o. but could add nothing else when asked "why was that done"?

They left the late night customers to you so they didn't have to explain and negotiate with surprise charges to angry customers. It's a lucrative and easy out for the service managers, and constant aggravation for the clerks.

There's nothing worse than a Christian only extending themselves to one of their own and to H-E-double hockey sticks with everyone else. 

Christ had some choice words about that behavior.

• Love 7

Guys I missed that you were flinging politics all over this thread and boy is that my bad. NO politics are allowed on the site unless it’s talking about content on an actual show. 

I’m going to be hiding all of this for now and I ask you going forward to know that politics is not a topic you can hold forth on here.

Oops!

The China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda is panda pandering with weaponized cuteness.

This Is What 36 Panda Cubs Look and Sound Like

On Friday, the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda rolled out 36 panda cubs for no other purpose than public enjoyment.

“Instead of introducing the pandas one by one, the center opted for making one huge good news blast by debuting all of the babies to the public at once,” writes People.

These are 36 out of 42 total pandas bred at the Research Center this year, its most productive panda year yet. Baby pandas appear to be good at lining up in rows and meowing, not so much motor skills, which means that if you were in charge of one, it would need you to carry it around everywhere. “For 2 months after birth, baby pandas basically only feed on milk, sleep, and poo,” we learn from ChinaHighlights.com. As America’s beloved baby Fiona the Hippo verges on her disillusioned rebel teen phase and (I hate to say this but) sexual maturity, that’s a comforting thought.

• Love 7

Hey, fellow preverts, 

I'm off to annoy family in Indiana for a week, leaving tonight.  I'll be checking in but probably not as often as I currently haunt this forum.

Stay twisted!!

• Love 10

Canada is mourning today - one of our musical icons, Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip, passed away last night after being diagnosed with cancer in May 2016.

"Bobcaygeon"

I left your house this morning
About a quarter after nine
Could have been the Willie Nelson
Could have been the wine
When I left your house this morning
It was a little after nine
It was in Bobcaygeon, I saw the constellations
Reveal themselves one star at a time

Drove back to town this morning
With working on my mind
I thought of maybe quitting
I thought of leaving it behind
I went back to bed this morning
And as I'm pulling down the blind
Yeah, the sky was dull, and hypothetical
And falling one cloud at a time

That night in Toronto
With its checkerboard floors
Riding on horseback
And keeping order restored
Till the men they couldn't hang
Stepped to the mic and sang
And their voices rang
With that Aryan twang

I got to your house this morning
Just a little after nine
In the middle of that riot
Couldn't get you off my mind
So I'm at your house this morning
Just a little after nine
'Cause it was in Bobcaygeon, where I saw the constellations

Rest easy, Gord. 

• Love 11
On 10/11/2017 at 8:38 AM, valleycliffe said:

God, that sucks.

When I was at Acura, I had one of the managers who'd want me to take a message for nearly every call that came in, which I'm sure he probably never did for his banging on the salespeople to make their ten a day.

Now that I've been out of there for two months after stupid decision making had me going from BDC to receptionist to lot porter (!) Irony want to go back to another one. The asskissing at MINI before that was repulsive and Gino Kane of Kearny Mesa Acura puts profits above people , and his other managers Ken Tomei and Anthony Phoenix ate equally shit towards their team. I list name because unlike Hollywood I don't need fuck shit from them and I'd considered it a personal favor if anyone in the San Diego area never buy a car from any dealership they work for. Especial Ken "All the MINI customers I had in sales are weirdos as they sing his praises to the MINI clubs" Tomei. If there's a Hell,  I hope all three of them burn in it.

Oh hi everybody ?

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Canada is mourning today - one of our musical icons, Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip, passed away last night after being diagnosed with cancer in May 2016.

"Bobcaygeon"

Could have been the wine

With working on my mind

That night in Toronto
Riding on horseback
And their voices rang
With that Aryan twang

Just a little after nine
Just a little after nine

Rest easy, Gord. 

Safe journey Gord. Was blessed to see you in concert many times. ?

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Capricasix said:

"Bobcaygeon"

Could have been the wine

With working on my mind

That night in Toronto
Riding on horseback
And their voices rang
With that Aryan twang

Just a little after nine
Just a little after nine

Rest easy, Gord. 

Thank you for that, @Capricasix.  I have been in serious mourning and tears all day.  Every radio station is playing the Hip.  It is the music storyline to my life and so many Canadian's lives, but Gord Downie, separate from the music, was an amazing person. 

I saw the Hip really early on in a place that was essentially a bowling alley with a sort of concert hall.  It was awesome.  I think it was 1990 but not sure, so much time has passed.

When I woke up this morning, all of my trending was Gord Downie, Tragically Hip, Fiddler's Green.  And I knew.

Preverts, if you don't know his music, or the Hip, cause they were never popular in the US, listen tonight or tomorrow.  He is awesome. 

• Love 8
On 10/18/2017 at 9:05 AM, Capricasix said:

I wondered if someone died, the Verge channel on Sirius/XM has been playing nothing but the Tragically Hip last night & again this morning.  I'm not really a fan, I think some of their songs are ok, but regardless, that's too bad :(

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 4

Squirrel!

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:05 AM, Capricasix said:

I saw them several times live. I got to interview the band when they were on tour in 2007. Really nice guys and Gord was a stitch. 

Revelation 21:4

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

• Love 8

And they probably want hundreds of dollars for those hideous rags.

It would be an almost literal example of the emperor wearing no clothes. A homeless person wearing some pants like that would probably get arrested for indecent exposure.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And they probably want hundreds of dollars for those hideous rags.

They could market a whole line of this and title it "ButtBiscuit" wear.

• Love 9
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, valleycliffe said:

of all the ridiculous things in fashion, these take the cake

http://nypost.com/2017/10/19/these-thong-jeans-are-a-disgrace-to-denim/

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, PatsyandEddie said:

^^^ Oh just no to jongs! ?

What!

You're not prepared for deconstructed jeans to go to its un-seamly limits?

11 hours ago, boes said:

They could market a whole line of this and title it "ButtBiscuit" wear.

5i2mx41.gif

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7

LOLOL  just read a story on facebook from local newspaper.  it was about the rcmp here in nanaimo using motorcycles to catch distracted drivers and so far has been very successful.  they have even pulled up beside them and tapped on their window (while parked i hope).  story also said when police tap on the window, the drivers very often drop their phone in surprise.

hope they fine the heck out of them.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, valleycliffe said:

LOLOL  just read a story on facebook from local newspaper.  it was about the rcmp here in nanaimo using motorcycles to catch distracted drivers and so far has been very successful.  they have even pulled up beside them and tapped on their window (while parked i hope).  story also said when police tap on the window, the drivers very often drop their phone in surprise.

Damn straight!

• Love 6
14 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

My husband got caught by the cops checking his cell phone at a red light earlier this year. He got a $400 ticket and three points off his licence. Yet he continues to be pissed off at the cops, even though he broke the law. Won’t take ownership of his actions ?

• Love 6

$400?! For that kind of ticket I think I'd almost want to leave the phone at home.

Back in the olden days (?) when you saw a car weaving you assumed the driver was drunk. Now it's just as likely to be them texting or checking social media--at least during regular working hours before people start heading to bars.

But then there was that one time when I pulled up next to a weaving car that had managed to stop at the red light. It was a young man throwing a look that was simultaneously sheepish and arrogant. I was like whatever until a girl's head popped up from his lap area. In broad daylight on a busy city street. Luckily for the girl I guess it was an older car that probably didn't have an airbag in the steering wheel so at least she wasn't risking getting decapitated. This was several years ago and I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

$400?! For that kind of ticket I think I'd almost want to leave the phone at home.

Back in the olden days (?) when you saw a car weaving you assumed the driver was drunk. Now it's just as likely to be them texting or checking social media--at least during regular working hours before people start heading to bars.

But then there was that one time when I pulled up next to a weaving car that had managed to stop at the red light. It was a young man throwing a look that was simultaneously sheepish and arrogant. I was like whatever until a girl's head popped up from his lap area. In broad daylight on a busy city street. Luckily for the girl I guess it was an older car that probably didn't have an airbag in the steering wheel so at least she wasn't risking getting decapitated. This was several years ago and I'm still shaking my head in disbelief.

Or if he got rear ended and she bit off his.....see The World According To Garp.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Capricasix said:

My husband got caught by the cops checking his cell phone at a red light earlier this year. He got a $400 ticket and three points off his licence. Yet he continues to be pissed off at the cops, even though he broke the law. Won’t take ownership of his actions ?

The California Office of Traffic Safety sent out a release on cellphone use based fines, plus fees and penalties.
$20 base fine: $162 final cost.
$25 base fine: $197 final cost.
$35 base fine: $238 final cost.
$50 base fine: $285 final cost.
Drivers under 18 cannot use ANY electronic wireless communications device, even hands-free. 

Pathetic and not very effective openalties, in my opinion.

My girlfriend drives a Tesla with a huge touch screen digital display that tells you all the input information from the car, connects your phone, GPS, FB, radio/music, home security, etc. It's as distracting as having the windshield as a TV screen, and I was the passenger. I won't get in her car again (That's okay, I'll drive.), the touch screen bothered me so much.

3 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I think $400 is a good start.

Now, drunk drivers are one in a long list of driving hazards.

Some people will do anything for a ride home or $50.

• Love 7

Daisy Berkowitz died at 49 from colon cancer, former Marilyn Manson lead guitarist

Lunchbox, from The Manson Family Album -- 1993

Daisy, AKA Scott Putesky, was also majority music composer of Manson's catalog, including the band's 1996 breakout album, Antichrist Superstar. 

Godspeed, Daisy. Thank you for all the crunchy industrial guitar riffs.

• Love 5

Some people will do anything for a ride home or $50.

Well, out of fairness to the young woman, I wouldn't necessarily assume it was a business transaction....

I'm not at all defending texting or whatever while driving. But dang, $400 seems like a huge disincentive to me unless you just have money to burn. I'd be scared just to have my phone in my car. I live in a state where people (a lot of so-called libertarians) are still mad that they're supposed to wear seat belts and it's taken years to get the barebones distracted driving law we have now. I can't wrap my head around it.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Well, out of fairness to the young woman, I wouldn't necessarily assume it was a business transaction....

You can't discount it either, but I'm jaded and have lived in L.A. a long time.

I'm not at all defending texting or whatever while driving. But dang, $400 seems like a huge disincentive to me unless you just have money to burn. I'd be scared just to have my phone in my car. I live in a state where people (a lot of so-called libertarians) are still mad that they're supposed to wear seat belts and it's taken years to get the barebones distracted driving law we have now. I can't wrap my head around it.

And that's the point of punitive assessments -- To make it too costly and the penalty too great on your driving record and insurance. If someone thinks two or three times before driving and texting/yapping on the phone/reading a FB update, it's alright with me.

There have been several attempts to increase penalties in the California legislature; a lot of noble talk and but it invariably fails. 

There by the grace of God go I ... and all that rot.

• Love 6

If someone thinks two or three times before driving and texting/yapping on the phone/reading a FB update, it's alright with me.

Me too. I don't understand why anyone would risk it outside of an emergency. I think I'd just as soon take $400 and set it on fire. Seems to me like something aimed mainly at the kind of people for whom $400 is a lot of money. Meanwhile, the chick with a $15,000 bag on the passenger seat or the guy wearing a $30,000 watch couldn't care less and will carry on texting and driving with impunity.

Hey Mal, you should do a story arc on how traffic fines are actually just regressive taxes. ?

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 6

I gotta say, it is not people with money, or lots of money.  We have distracted driving laws here, not just phones, other stuff, too (eating, drinking coffee, applying mascara, engaging with your kids in the back seat).  And I constantly see, usually women, on their phones in their SUVs.  It is rampant. 

I have done the checking the phone at a red light, and I would be unhappy if I got a ticket for that, but since everyone seems to be on their phones whilst driving, I don't think that is going to happen.

• Love 3

The Fat Man by Fats Domino

Fats Domino's first single for Imperial Records (1949) was "The Fat Man," a rewrite of the drug-addiction song "Junker’s Blues." It is considered one of the earliest rock records. Although it didn’t make the top 40, "The Fat Man" was a huge R&B hit and established Fats Domino’s sound and image for the rest of his career. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

why do some "green berets" wear a red beret?

The maroon beret has been adopted as official headdress by the U.S. Army Airborne forces. Most American paratroopers refer to it as a red beret, which history and tradition mandates, out of respect for their World War II British allies.

Maroon berets are worn by United States Air Force Pararescue personnel and United States Air Force Combat Rescue Officers.

With Robert Guillaume's passing, this clip is from Sports Night:

• Love 7

Glad I could help, PatsyandEddie and Valley.

My father's experience in the Marines, education and passions left his children with an inordinate amount of information on the military.

Mr. Stunt and I went to a Halloween party last night. There was a battalion of Hair Gropenführer's and Robert Mueller's. They would stalk each other, accusing the other of lying and treason. There was a lot of Constitution recitation and the Mueller's would hand out bills of indictments to the Gropenführer's.  J'accuse ... ! Very funny.

pumpkin-carving.png

Pumpkin carving of Wonder Woman

• Love 5

Geez people, I just fought out about an hour ago that my late brother’s youngest son was killed in an accident yesterday. They live thousands of miles away and I wish I could just hug his family!They lost another son 20 years ago to a drug overdose. The nephew who called me said his mother is beside herself. Shit!! Too much for one family to bear ?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Geez people, I just fought out about an hour ago that my late brother’s youngest son was killed in an accident yesterday. They live thousands of miles away and I wish I could just hug his family!They lost another son 20 years ago to a drug overdose. The nephew who called me said his mother is beside herself. Shit!! Too much for one family to bear ?

@PatsyandEddie, I am so sorry to hear this and so sorry for your loss.  Life just sucks so many times.  ((Hugs)) to you.

• Love 8
12 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

can't like the post but major hugs to you and your family.....%(

• Love 6
14 hours ago, PatsyandEddie said:

Oh my God, I'm so sorry for you and your family, no words are sufficient.

• Love 5