Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

On 12/14/2019 at 7:32 AM, Capricasix said:

Anybody else annoyed by the pop-up ad at the bottom of the screen? I’m on mobile, so maybe those of you on a desktop browser don’t get it...anyway, it irks me 😣😄

YES! And sometimes there is no "X" to make it go away. It irks me as well.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, lovemesomejoolery said:

@jpagan05 - I'm hoping your brother got to Hawaii with no incidence and that the two of you are enjoying yourselves!

Thank you for asking! ❤️He's here and it's been so fun but not without incident. The staff at his assisted living facility and I were trying to nip any foreseeable problems in the bud. I sent him a lanyard in the mail to keep his ID and a prepaid Visa card (to purchase food on the plane). One of his staff members printed and laminated a list of "in case of emergency" numbers. He got a new cell phone the night before his flight. He wreck his other one by forcing the charger in and breaking the little nodule thingies. He's really hard on electronics. The new one is a Jitterbug with a cradle charger. The staff programmed some emergency numbers in it. Then with my husband flying to Honolulu and his navigational assistance, we hoped we had the bases covered. Well, he arrived with no ID, and when he got off the plane in Honolulu, walked right passed the greeter person holding the sign with his name on it. Thankfully my husband was there to intercept him. Then when he got here, his phone charger was not in his backpack. I couldn't get a clear answer about how and when he lost his ID until his staff called me the next day. The lanyard with everything in it went missing the morning he left for his flight. I cannot believe he actually got on the plane. The staff tore his room apart and found it and are mailing it to me. I have no idea how we would have replaced it from here. The only other form of ID he has is a library card. I'm assuming his charger, which he owned for less than 24 hours, was left in Honolulu. It took me a couple of days to calm down. I had been so sick with worry for the weeks before. But, it's all good now. We have been Christmas shopping, cooking together, and watching fun stuff on Netflix. He went outrigger paddling this morning and I'm waiting for him to get dropped off. He's so loud, the house is eerily quiet without him.

• Love 15
8 hours ago, pearlite said:

Sadly she passed.

(((pearlite)))

Christ our eternal God, You have destroyed death by Your Cross and have restored man to life by Your Resurrection; give rest to the soul of Your servant pearlite's sister who has joined Your Kingdom, where there is no pain, sorrow or suffering. In Your goodness and love for all, pardon her sins in thought, word or deed, for there is no one who lives and sins not, You only are without sin.
You are the Resurrection, the Life, and Repose of Your servant pearlite's sister, departed of this life, To You do we send up glory with Your Eternal Father and Your All-holy Spirit; both now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen

I am sincerely sorry for your loss, pearlite.

You are so amazing to remember the PLL birthday! Thank you!

A belated Happy Birthday to Pearlitelite.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

YES! And sometimes there is no "X" to make it go away. It irks me as well.

Thank you for asking! ❤️He's here and it's been so fun but not without incident. The staff at his assisted living facility and I were trying to nip any foreseeable problems in the bud. I sent him a lanyard in the mail to keep his ID and a prepaid Visa card (to purchase food on the plane). One of his staff members printed and laminated a list of "in case of emergency" numbers. He got a new cell phone the night before his flight. He wreck his other one by forcing the charger in and breaking the little nodule thingies. He's really hard on electronics. The new one is a Jitterbug with a cradle charger. The staff programmed some emergency numbers in it. Then with my husband flying to Honolulu and his navigational assistance, we hoped we had the bases covered. Well, he arrived with no ID, and when he got off the plane in Honolulu, walked right passed the greeter person holding the sign with his name on it. Thankfully my husband was there to intercept him. Then when he got here, his phone charger was not in his backpack. I couldn't get a clear answer about how and when he lost his ID until his staff called me the next day. The lanyard with everything in it went missing the morning he left for his flight. I cannot believe he actually got on the plane. The staff tore his room apart and found it and are mailing it to me. I have no idea how we would have replaced it from here. The only other form of ID he has is a library card. I'm assuming his charger, which he owned for less than 24 hours, was left in Honolulu. It took me a couple of days to calm down. I had been so sick with worry for the weeks before. But, it's all good now. We have been Christmas shopping, cooking together, and watching fun stuff on Netflix. He went outrigger paddling this morning and I'm waiting for him to get dropped off. He's so loud, the house is eerily quiet without him.

Wow - your instincts and concern about him arriving were right!  So glad that your husband was there to meet him in Honolulu.

And I'm glad, as well, that you're having a fantastic time together!

• Love 9

Coming out of lurkdom to say . . . .

I am so sorry and big hugs to both @Cupid Stunt and @pearlite

There is never a good time to lose a loved one, but I think you are both strong women and will find a way to "soldier on" and remember the memories of them this Christmas.

@Cupid Stunt - I missed your daily updates and could tell you were going through hard times when they stopped, since even when you were on vacation you posted links. May the blessing and peace of the season be with you and your family and give you comfort.

@pearlite - My Roncey neighbour. I stopped delivery of the fat raccoon when you posted about your sister. You went silent also. So, while I was hoping for the best, I feared the worst. I totally understand. But please know I kept thinking about you and smiled during a snowstorm a couple of weeks ago when I saw a guy at a convenience store buying a bag of salt as he put his Wine Rack purchase on the counter.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

Coming out of lurkdom to say . . .

@pearlite - My Roncey neighbour. I stopped delivery of the fat raccoon when you posted about your sister. You went silent also. So, while I was hoping for the best, I feared the worst. I totally understand. But please know I kept thinking about you and smiled during a snowstorm a couple of weeks ago when I saw a guy at a convenience store buying a bag of salt as he put his Wine Rack purchase on the counter.

I've missed you, L2L.

Necessities in this weather! Have you tried the Wine Rack stuff? I'd like to know more actually.

And, as you know, yesterday it snowed again. the wet greasy stuff. And I had an eye doctor's appointment [Owl, at Roncey and Fern]. And, like the stubborn idiot I am, I walked down in walking shoes rather than heavy-duty boots. And...fell on my butt twice.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

Coming out of lurkdom to say . . . .

I am so sorry and big hugs to both @Cupid Stunt and @pearlite

There is never a good time to lose a loved one, but I think you are both strong women and will find a way to "soldier on" and remember the memories of them this Christmas.

@Cupid Stunt - I missed your daily updates and could tell you were going through hard times when they stopped, since even when you were on vacation you posted links. May the blessing and peace of the season be with you and your family and give you comfort.

Thank you, luv2lurk.

I don't have much of a heart to compile an aggregate news link, but you've got GoogleFu and the many sites I used for examples, so give it a whirl.

Trust your instincts.

10 hours ago, pearlite said:

I've missed you, L2L.

Necessities in this weather! Have you tried the Wine Rack stuff? I'd like to know more actually.

And, as you know, yesterday it snowed again. the wet greasy stuff. And I had an eye doctor's appointment [Owl, at Roncey and Fern]. And, like the stubborn idiot I am, I walked down in walking shoes rather than heavy-duty boots. And...fell on my butt twice.

Ignoring the weather only leads to bruises and camera phone comedy. Put on your boots, pearlite.

Mr.Stunt and I flew back to LA last night, and it's been a cold bath of bureaucratic folderol and Christmas holiday carnage.

falala6_large.jpg?v=1571438506

From my enablers at Subversive Cross Stitch.

Mom, Dad and the Things are staying with Bea, and celebrate her Christmas Eve birthday and Christmas Day with her. Mr.Stunt and I will fly back the 23rd.

A Christmas card and some inappropriate music to go along:

Let's get Lit!

xmas-family-photo-1993-e1328321868155-10

The family that smokes together ...

Ho, Ho, Oh, baby!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Mom, Dad and the Things are staying with Bea, and celebrate her Christmas Eve birthday and Christmas Day with her. Mr.Stunt and I will fly back the 23rd.

No, really, Bea's birthday is the 24th?

This just gets sadder and sadder.

The good thing about all of this is that she has this amazing family by her side.

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Those were some chonky raccoons!

When I saw them go into the wall, I was like oh, great raccoons in the wall. My son's fiancee had raccoons get into her attic a couple years ago. It was not nearly as funny as that video.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

When I saws them go into the wall, I was like oh, great raccoons in the wall. My son's fiancee had raccoons get into her attic a couple years ago. It was not nearly as funny as that video.

Been there, lived through that. Downtown TO rite of passage.

You haven't lived until one of those creepy little black paws comes at you through a hole its owner has dug in your wall...

20-odd thousand worth of roof, soffit, and fascia rebuilding later, I enjoy a kind of temporaty peace.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, bannana said:

No, really, Bea's birthday is the 24th?

This just gets sadder and sadder.

The good thing about all of this is that she has this amazing family by her side.

Yeah. Usually we do the whole birthday party schtick Christmas Eve: cake, streamers, party hats and noisemakers. Bea's last birthday she stayed home with BIL because he was too sick to travel, and we had a party in July.

Mom and Bea are planning to keep it from being too much forced merriment -- Family Fun Dagnabbit!

Gramma and Aunt Trinket are driving up with my brother and his family to celebrate Bea's birthday and Christmas Day. Nana Stunt and Alice will travel with us. It'll be a houseful.

1 hour ago, pearlite said:

Mercy! You grow those raccoons big in Toronto!

I got caught up in Gates Wildlife Control series of videos. They're amazing. 

Top AP photos of 2019 range from the epic to the intimate

NYYE122.jpg?format=1500w

Mermen, Adi Kazav, left, and Lied Adi Hagbi, members of the Israeli Mermaid Community, pose for a portrait wearing mermaid tails at their home in Netanya, Israel, on Feb. 21, 2019 -- Oded Balilty

I want to do this at Mariah Carey-oke.

Christmas Greetings from East L.A.

Screen-Shot-2016-12-13-at-9.48.47-PM.png

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
22 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Yeah. Usually we do the whole birthday party schtick Christmas Eve: cake, streamers, party hats and noisemakers. Bea's last birthday she stayed home with BIL because he was too sick to travel, and we had a party in July.

Mom and Bea are planning to keep it from being too much forced merriment -- Family Fun Dagnabbit!

Gramma and Aunt Trinket are driving up with my brother and his family to celebrate Bea's birthday and Christmas Day. Nana Stunt and Alice will travel with us. It'll be a houseful.

All the best to you and yours, Cupid Stunt.  As sad a time as this is for you all, being together will warm everyone with all that love.

• Love 11

There has been too much loss this year of our loved ones and of our friend ValleyCliffe. 

I’m glad we are such a loving and strong community and the heartfelt thoughts and prayers we’ve shared have been a light in that. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

There has been too much loss this year of our loved ones and of our friend ValleyCliffe. 

I’m glad we are such a loving and strong community and the heartfelt thoughts and prayers we’ve shared have been a light in that. 

I was think that yesterday; dear Valley, LeftPhalange, Peaches, Aquarius, PsychedelicTrip, movinon … so many others … Your absence is profoundly felt.

Reuters Pictures of the year 2019

?m=02&d=20191221&t=2&i=1466859633&w=780&

Reuters / Tuesday, July 23, 2019 -- Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg (2nd R), with Ivy-Fleur Boileau, Virgile Mouquet, Adelaide Charlier and Alicia Arquetoux, French activists from the Youth for Climate movement, attends the question session at the National Assembly in Paris, France, July 23, 2019. REUTERS/Philippe Wojazer

Today is the first day of Winter, though most of us are already in full winter-mode … 

Christmas card!

2013_SPROTT_CARD-368x0-c-default.jpg

"Very nice darling. Now pipe down, Mother's hung."

And a musical interlude ...

Today is the first day of Hanukah; This is from last year, but satisfying in a What Are These People Doing? sort of way -- "This song is from the Festigal, Israel’s most theatrical event for kids: Parents pay the big bucks for their kids to attend this musical theatrical event, which takes place once a year, always during Hanukkah. It features a bunch of Israeli celebs (not all professional singers) all singing songs on one theme,"

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9

My father in law was a beloved drive time radio guy for years and years in our area and he loved jazz.  LOVED jazz.   One of my husband's most cherished possessions are two Christmas albums by Ramsey Lewis that belonged to his dad.  It's not Christmas in our house until these come out. Here's one of our favorites off More Sounds of Christmas by Ramsey Lewis Trio.... 

I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday - whatever you celebrate, however you celebrate, I hope it's awesome!

• Love 13
On 12/20/2019 at 8:01 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

A Christmas card and some inappropriate music to go along:

Let's get Lit!

xmas-family-photo-1993-e1328321868155-10

The family that smokes together ...

Ho, Ho, Oh, baby!

Am I the only one who thinks the mom and dad in the above photo look exactly like Chelsea and Nick, only classier?  It's uncanny!    Thank you for the Solstice gift of Barry White, Cupid!  You are a goddess.  And the MaRadiohead Carey song was fun! 

On 12/21/2019 at 9:29 AM, pearlite said:

I can't help it.  I love their little burglar masks! <<ducking>> 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I was think that yesterday; dear Valley, LeftPhalange, Peaches, Aquarius, PsychedelicTrip, movinon … so many others … Your absence is profoundly felt.

16 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm still here. Or were you thinking of my kitty?

(((Peaches))) … Your beloved sprit animal will always be with you and us.

My punctuation mistake … I meant peach. She stopped posting on the Y&R forum after quitting the Show a few years ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

My father in law was a beloved drive time radio guy for years and years in our area and he loved jazz.  LOVED jazz.   One of my husband's most cherished possessions are two Christmas albums by Ramsey Lewis that belonged to his dad.  It's not Christmas in our house until these come out. Here's one of our favorites off More Sounds of Christmas by Ramsey Lewis Trio.... 

I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday - whatever you celebrate, however you celebrate, I hope it's awesome!

Great Ramsay Lewis recording! You have to tell us about your FIL some time.

Wishing you and your family the best this holiday, loveme. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

(((Peaches))) … Your beloved sprit animal will always be with you and us.

My punctuation mistake … I meant peach. She stopped posting on the Y&R forum after quitting the Show a few years ago.

She posts in The Walking Dead forum so she's around but quit Y&R sadly. Her recaps were a thing of beauty.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

She posts in The Walking Dead forum so she's around but quit Y&R sadly. Her recaps were a thing of beauty.

Oh, yes. Peach is an wonderful correspondent. Miss her on Y&R forum.

Banksy sends a Christmas card.

800.jpeg

A little music ...

Reuters pictures: One country, one picture, one year

?m=02&d=20191221&t=2&i=1466749392&w=780&

BANGLADESH: Hindu devotees sit together on the floor of a temple to observe Rakher Upabash, in Narayangonj near Dhaka, Bangladesh, November 5, 2019. REUTERS/Mohammad Ponir Hossain

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Oh, yes. Peach is an wonderful correspondent. Miss her on Y&R forum.

Banksy sends a Christmas card.

800.jpeg

A little music ...

Reuters pictures: One country, one picture, one year

?m=02&d=20191221&t=2&i=1466749392&w=780&

BANGLADESH: Hindu devotees sit together on the floor of a temple to observe Rakher Upabash, in Narayangonj near Dhaka, Bangladesh, November 5, 2019. REUTERS/Mohammad Ponir Hossain

awwwww....you've gone and done it!  Banksy AND one of my dad's favorite Christmas albums/musicians!  Just as my husband treasures his father's Ramsey Lewis Trio Christmas albums (now recorded on CD), I treasure my father's copy of A Charlie Brown Christmas!  My dad passed away 5 years ago, a week before Christmas - I miss him every single day of the year, but especially now, at Christmas.  So to hear this, HERE and NOW,  unexpectedly, gives me great joy.  Thank you!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 9

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all of you!

Hoping for a happier 2020 and thanking you for all the fun and companionship you bring me,

And seasons greetings from another Toronto rodent--one of the High Park capybaras:

Rs3OR6k81ufX75Tw.jpg

• Love 13

Dishes are done, stretch pants are on, and eating the last piece of mincemeat pie as the TV Yule Log tears my heart out with Judy Garland ...

The final solar eclipse of the decade will create a "ring of fire." Here's how to watch.

Pictures of the year: Aerials

?m=02&d=20191129&t=2&i=1458160317&w=780&

A passenger train moves along the bank of the Yenisei River in the Siberian Taiga forest, covered with snow and hoarfrost, outside Krasnoyarsk, Russia February 11, 2019. REUTERS/Ilya Naymushin

Merry Christmas, Preverts!

• Love 12

Happy Holidays everyone!

On 12/19/2019 at 2:06 PM, Capricasix said:

@jpagan05 - if you don’t mind my asking, is your brother autistic? My two boys, ages 18 and 14.5, are autistic, and my 18yo is developmentally disabled as well. Your preparations (and anxieties!) remind me of mine when we’re getting ready to go anywhere 😄

Don't mind at all. No, he's not. He was born a perfectly healthy boy and at 2 months old, stopped breathing and was rushed to the hospital. They resuscitated him and performed a tracheotomy, but he sustained brain damage as a result of clinical death. It's a miracle he's here. He was read his last rites and the docs told my folks he wasn't going to make it. He had his trach tube until he was three years old so didn't learn to speak until then. I still have horrific memories of my mom changing the tube and he would literally be gasping for breath for a second or two. My poor mom was only 24 at the time. I can't even imagine. I was three years old when it happened and I remember it well but I don't know him any other way. He's is just the sweetest, goofiest, most up-beat person I know and I just adore him. He is happy and living in an assisted living house with five other special needs boys in Newburyport, MA. He has a lot of autonomy but is looked after 24/7. The house is awesome and the staff is amazing. He has a girlfriend, a job and he volunteers at two places. His social schedule is much busier than mine. His house is a few miles away from where he used to live with my folks so he knows his way around and has a great sense of direction. He rides his bike a lot but gets driven by staff when the weather is bad. He calls me all the time (mostly in the middle of the night because he can't grasp the time difference😆). He is my favorite person in the world.

Funny story- we were working on a 1000 piece puzzle for hours yesterday. At one point he said, "my fucking back!" It was the first time I heard him drop an f-bomb and I chuckled to myself because honestly, I was thinking the exact same thing.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:05 PM, Snaporaz said:

I can't help it.  I love their little burglar masks! <<ducking>> 

Me tooooo!

Edited by jpagan05
brain fast hands slow
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

sorry i haven't been around. i fell and i think i broke my left wrist. getting x rays later today.

Yuck, Peacheslatour, that sounds awful!  Let us know if you can.  And feel better.

• Love 7

Happy Birthweek to our very own @boes, the Pope of Preverts!  He is the one person who despises Billy Abbott as much as I do.  I feel lucky to have a front-row seat to his truly uniquely wonderfully twisted worldview.  Thanks for the daily laughs, and please keep them coming.  Gods know we can use them!

animal-birthdays.jpg

• Love 16