Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, pearlite said:

But thanks for allowing me to try to cheer myself up. I found out yesterday evening that one of my sisters [18 or so years older] had a massive stroke yesterday and isn't expected to come out of it. In the last two years, I've lost one other sister and a sister in law.

So you all do help me a lot sometimes.

I'm so sorry, Pearlite.  I hope whatever happens with your sister, happens with as much peace as is possible.  

You brighten and lighten our days as well.

• Love 8

HD-201411-r-bourbon-pecan-pie.jpg&w=400&

kapok_720_444.jpg

BBXo0AY.img?h=457&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

It's been a rough year for a lot of us. I'm grateful my dad is in a beautiful place that takes excellent care of him and he met a lovely (crazy) lady who is his constant companion. I'm grateful that my son is coming for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. I'm grateful for all of you sweet, wonderful Preverts. Have a good day and keep the faith.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Lord our God, hear our prayers for Your servant, Pearlite's sister, In times of distress we have no other help but You. Have mercy on Pearlite's sister, and protect her family. We submit to Your will and pray that You to be merciful. You are the Physician of our souls and bodies, and to You do we pray for Your eternal grace: to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Both now and forever, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Amen

Keeping you, @pearlite, and your family - especially your sister - in my prayers.

• Love 12

I started training a new server job tonight. It’s really close to home and pretty laid back. The servers and manager seem cool, not to jinx anything 😂 they have me working Friday I may even be taking tables then or this weekend. 

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I started training a new server job tonight. It’s really close to home and pretty laid back. The servers and manager seem cool, not to jinx anything 😂 they have me working Friday I may even be taking tables then or this weekend. 

This is fantastic news! 

I am so impressed by you and your tenacity.  Let's face it, when it's raining assholes, it's easy to fall into a funk.  You haven't, you keep plugging along and I really admire you for that.

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 11

Thanks guys. I love you so much. Not that it matters but I still privately talk to someone from the kitchen at old job, he’s told me so much, confirming and elaborating on what we knew or suspected (I was ran out, bartenders and food runners encouraged not to help me, when I was fired it was announced she got fired to the kitchen their “girlfriend”). I didn’t tell him my new work place name or location. I’m not mad or embarrassed and will pick up my check from there and the high end place I trained at 2 shifts she gave a scathing reference to, I don’t give a shit if both checks are measly and they try to make me feel stupid.  

@pearlite I am so so sorry. This has been such a hard year or two for so many of us in our group. My deepest sympathies and respect for your strength. Words seem so pointless in times like these but I love you and am praying with all my heart. 

@jewel21 keep your head up. 

10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's been a rough year for a lot of us. I'm grateful my dad is in a beautiful place that takes excellent care of him and he met a lovely (crazy) lady who is his constant companion. I'm grateful that my son is coming for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. I'm grateful for all of you sweet, wonderful Preverts. Have a good day and keep the faith.

You ain’t never lied. And I love you too. 

• Love 11

dinnerturkey.0.jpg

2252a28f-3470-443c-adb2-b08deea71be0.jpg

Pies are ready to come out of the oven … Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

The dentist's wife asked me to email them an updated version of my CV which I did. That was two days ago. I called yesterday asking if they got it and she said he had and she will be calling me this evening. And then she didn't. I have an appointment for a cleaning on Dec. 2 so I guess I can always discuss it further with then then. It's just the more time is going by, the more I'm stressing.

I'm also thinking of taking a six week dental receptionist course. It's one day a week and Wednesdays are one of the three days offered. It's a school recognized by dentists in Quebec but not the Ministry of Education. But it's recognized by the government so I can get money back on my income taxes. They are also a placement agency.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
29 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

The dentist's wife asked me to email them an updated version of my CV which I did. That was two days ago. I called yesterday asking if they got it and she said he had and she will be calling me this evening. And then she didn't. I have an appointment for a cleaning on Dec. 2 so I guess I can always discuss it further with then then. It's just the more time is going by, the more I'm stressing.

I'm also thinking of taking a six week dental receptionist course. It's one day a week and Wednesdays are one of the three days offered. It's a school recognized by dentists in Quebec but not the Ministry of Education. But it's recognized by the government so I can get money back on my income taxes. They are also a placement agency.

Going back to school and gaining new skills is never a bad idea. You'll also meet new people and maybe even some new friends. I say go for it!

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

dinnerturkey.0.jpg

2252a28f-3470-443c-adb2-b08deea71be0.jpg

Pies are ready to come out of the oven … Happy Thanksgiving!

Wait.......!!

There's a right and wrong time to drink on Thanksgiving?  And I have to spend 30 seconds naked and spread eagled towards the sun so I can get sun on my bung hole and maybe live longer and better?  

This will require mass amounts of alcohol, I think.  I'll report back tomorrow on how it went!  LOL!!

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Wait.......!!

There's a right and wrong time to drink on Thanksgiving?  And I have to spend 30 seconds naked and spread eagled towards the sun so I can get sun on my bung hole and maybe live longer and better?  

This will require mass amounts of alcohol, I think. I'll report back tomorrow on how it went!  LOL!!

I follow the scientific method.

I stand at the front door with a glass of chardonnay. Mother-in-law Stunt enters, gives me the once over and mews, "Very festive." I give her the glass of wine and hang up her coat. I go to the kitchen, down the Tom from my first Tom and Jerry while basting the Turduckens, and study her glass contents. I keep her glass full until the Restylane starts to relax.

Very festive.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

Well, the dentist called and asked if I could pass by to talk for 15 minutes. I have an appointment with him for a cleaning and checkup on Monday so he said we can talk then. Hopefully it'll work out...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

I follow the scientific method.

I stand at the front door with a glass of chardonnay. Mother-in-law Stunt enters, gives me the once over and mews, "Very festive." I give her the glass of wine and hang up her coat. I go to the kitchen, down the Tom from my first Tom and Jerry while basting the Turduckens, and study her glass contents. I keep her glass full until the Restylane starts to relax.

Very festive.

I remember those times with my own MIL quite well!

One Thanksgiving, I forget what I was serving alcohol wise, but I always make a huge batch of something (this year it was Sparkling Apple and Cranberry Mules) as the main drink, along with the usual wine and whatever else someone wants, but she had a bug up her behind about wanting a rum and coke.  Everyone else seemed to be enjoying what was on the bar cart, which did not have rum on it.  Not her, she needed a rum and coke and wasn't going to be quiet about it until she got one.  I was much younger then, hadn't quite developed my "WTF" look yet, and felt like she was just finding the one thing we didn't have and focused on it to be a pain in the neck.  As my husband said, she was always a pain in the neck, so she didn't have to really focus on any one thing - it just came naturally to her!   

We aren't really rum drinkers.  But my husband had a bottle of the high alcohol one, I think it's called 151.  My husband (yes, her son) looked at me with a twinkle in his eye, smiled sweetly at his mother and said "yes, mom, coming right up".    He thought it would calm her down, make her less bitchy.  Three drinks later, she went to the bathroom and never came out.  We sent a search party, and she had curled up on the floor and was passed out!  Good times in the Lovemesome household that Thanksgiving!

Bless her heart, she was such a piece of work.  But we miss her all the same.  We figure she's up in heaven complaining to God about how the silver isn't "gleaming" quite the way it would be had she been the one cleaning it, or some other such nonsense......! 

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2

Black%20Hole%20resized_1575026384865.jpg

94c693f18220c4e56815ff42f90e9b7b.jpg

Decline is a choice. 

oooooo-skatepark-by-koo-jeong-a-at-trien

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Well, the dentist called and asked if I could pass by to talk for 15 minutes. I have an appointment with him for a cleaning and checkup on Monday so he said we can talk then. Hopefully it'll work out...

That sounds good, Jewel21!  I hope it works out.

• Love 10

I hosted my first Thanksgiving yesterday, it was just my husband, my son and I but man, it's a lot of work. The cooking, the cleaning and decorating. Whew. I don't even work and I can't imagine how my mom and aunt, both working full time pulled it off. They were amazing.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I hosted my first Thanksgiving yesterday, it was just my husband, my son and I but man, it's a lot of work. The cooking, the cleaning and decorating. Whew. I don't even work and I can't imagine how my mom and aunt, both working full time pulled it off. They were amazing.

Good work!!! It’s not easy. And I agree your mom was a truly great lady from what you’ve shared over the years and on top of that, the obvious by helping make you into the person you are... “grace” and “strength” are understatements. 

• Love 10

fit-override.jpg

polar-bear-ht-ml-191129_hpMain_31x13_992

SON2ptS.jpg

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 11/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, lovemesomejoolery said:

I remember those times with my own MIL quite well!

One Thanksgiving, I forget what I was serving alcohol wise, but I always make a huge batch of something (this year it was Sparkling Apple and Cranberry Mules) as the main drink, along with the usual wine and whatever else someone wants, but she had a bug up her behind about wanting a rum and coke.  Everyone else seemed to be enjoying what was on the bar cart, which did not have rum on it.  Not her, she needed a rum and coke and wasn't going to be quiet about it until she got one.  I was much younger then, hadn't quite developed my "WTF" look yet, and felt like she was just finding the one thing we didn't have and focused on it to be a pain in the neck.  As my husband said, she was always a pain in the neck, so she didn't have to really focus on any one thing - it just came naturally to her!   

We aren't really rum drinkers.  But my husband had a bottle of the high alcohol one, I think it's called 151.  My husband (yes, her son) looked at me with a twinkle in his eye, smiled sweetly at his mother and said "yes, mom, coming right up".    He thought it would calm her down, make her less bitchy.  Three drinks later, she went to the bathroom and never came out.  We sent a search party, and she had curled up on the floor and was passed out!  Good times in the Lovemesome household that Thanksgiving!

Bless her heart, she was such a piece of work.  But we miss her all the same.  We figure she's up in heaven complaining to God about how the silver isn't "gleaming" quite the way it would be had she been the one cleaning it, or some other such nonsense......! 

<chuckles> Aren't they something?

I accidentally depth-charged MIL Stunt years ago with brandied Pimm's Cup punch: She passed out on a patio lounge chair, with our long-gone cat Pickles shedding on her Chanel suit, a missing false eyelash and smeared lipstick. The pictures are my tactical nuclear deterrent.

On 11/29/2019 at 11:37 AM, jewel21 said:

Give it a hearing and your do your research, jewel. If it gives you a new skill set, expands your job options, and fits into your schedule, why not?

21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Good job well done, Peaches.

I couldn't put on ThanksChristmas without planning and shopping months in advance, and the help of many hands -- Many thanks to Mr.Stunt, Nana Stunt, Alice, Rita and Geneva, Thing's 1&2, Costco, Liquor Palace, FIL Stunt for the Turducken's and the BrüMate stocking stuffers everyone went crazy over.

My BIL had a stroke Friday evening -- Bea's husband has Glioblastoma, in hospice at home. I flew up to Eureka, CA to help her. My parents are in route. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

My BIL had a stroke Friday evening -- Bea's husband has Glioblastoma, in hospice at home. I flew up to Eureka, CA to help her. My parents are in route. 

Blessings to you and yours, Cupid Stunt, I hope things go as they are meant to.  

• Love 12

Thank you, boes.

BIL is in a coma, being monitored by the hospice nurses. Bea is finally sleeping. Mom and Dad arrived about an hour ago, and are with BIL's family in the living room with the parish priest. I'm in the kitchen making coffee, stirring chicken stew, prepping an egg casserole for breakfast, writing up a grocery list. The lawyer and undertaker have been notified.

We pray and wait.

• Love 1

christmas-tree-lot-130730924856s.jpg

rts1yym2_1.jpg?itok=BEPAN9FW

• Borneo is burning -- How the world’s demand for palm oil is driving deforestation in Indonesia
  •  
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Thank you, boes.

BIL is in a coma, being monitored by the hospice nurses. Bea is finally sleeping. Mom and Dad arrived about an hour ago, and are with BIL's family in the living room with the parish priest. I'm in the kitchen making coffee, stirring chicken stew, prepping an egg casserole for breakfast, writing up a grocery list. The lawyer and undertaker have been notified.

We pray and wait.

My prayers are with you, cupid

• Love 11

Thank you, boes.

We pray and wait.

Take good care of yourself and your family - all of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Love 10

Jeez! I came to complain but now I'll just try to be grateful. Sorry about your families @Cupid Stunt and @pearlite. Good luck on your job opportunities @Petunia13 and @jewel21. Congrats on your dinner @peacheslatour.

We're having our Friendsgiving tomorrow. I'm chopping, grating, dry-brining, zesting and organizing everything I can today. It's early here- 2:15 but I think I need a cocktail. Much love to all of you.

• Love 12
55 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Never, ever eat sugar free gummy bears, That's a tip from me to you, my friends.

I'm pretty sure I know what happened.....what the end result was that warranted this warning.....

Same with sugar free mints.......at least not more than a couple.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, boes said:

I'm pretty sure I know what happened.....what the end result was that warranted this warning.....

Same with sugar free mints.......at least not more than a couple.

I'm afraid to even drink water. Good god, this is terrible.

So I met with the dentist this evening. I had a cleaning already scheduled and then he spoke with me. He's hiring me starting this Wednesday and his wife will train me. I'm super nervous, though. The office is very chaotic, he and his wife are constantly shouting at one another. His patients are problematic, they don't want to pay or argue with you, etc. His wife spent 10 minutes showing me their software program and she spoke so quickly that I was pretty lost. She did say she was going to print some stuff out for me about the program that I could study and follow. I'm going to have to ask her a ton of questions on Wednesday and take notes. The insurance stuff was confusing as fuck, especially since I don't have to deal with that stuff at my other two jobs. They also told me that they had a few secretaries try out and none of them were able to pick up the software and were let go. I was very honest with them and told them that if they feel I'm not picking it up, there would be no hard feelings and I would just be grateful for the opportunity. 

• Love 12
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Never, ever eat sugar free gummy bears, That's a tip from me to you, my friends.

Look up Amazon Sugar Free Gummy Bear Reviews on whatever search you use where you'll find the legendary reviews for those there. It's how I learned what those type of gummy bears do to people after ingesting them years ago after they were mentioned somewhere I used to frequent online.  😰

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

Congratulations, jewel!  Well, cautious congratulations.  You have a good attitude going into this, so hopefully it will work out. Is it an easy commute?

It's a 15-20 minute walk from my house.

• Love 9
On 12/2/2019 at 7:39 AM, peacheslatour said:

Oh no! I was going to say the same thing as @Jaded. Once you stop pooping, you will find it funny. Here's the link https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-SUGAR-Classic-Gummi-Bears/product-reviews/B006J1FBLM

We had our T2 Electric Boogaloo last night. I made Alex Guarnaschelli's Turkey- buttered cheesecloth over the breast and rest upside-down and it came out perfect. Then mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, vegetarian stuffing, sausage stuffing, jalapeño ginger cranberry sauce, shaved Brussels sprouts salad, Waldorf salad, carrot and parsnip mash, and gravy with homemade stock that I made in my instant pot, and vegan lentil and veg pot pie.  And chocolate bread pudding and pineapple ginger cheesecake for dessert. I never enjoy eating after smelling it all day so I'm looking forward to leftovers tonight. 

Congrats on your new gig @jewel21! I hope you can learn the software. 

How's your new serving job @Petunia13? I cannot believe that a manager of a restaurant was so concerned with sabotage that it would not only affect you, but the customer's dining experience. What a shitty manager. Isn't it illegal to give a bad review of a former employee over the phone? My understanding was that they could say, "I would not re-hire" but that's it.  

• Love 8

Thanks @jpagan05. I'm really nervous and terrified for tomorrow. 

The whole place is so chaotic and loud, and as someone who suffers from anxiety and is on medication for it, I'm concerned this might trigger me. 

In addition to learning the software and insurance stuff, it's the clientele that is freaking me out. The last time I worked in the area I live in was in early 2000s. It was a horrible job. The clients were mostly French separatists on welfare and were verbally abusive on a daily basis. I used to come home crying ever day. I don't want to experience that again. This time, they're not only French and don't want to pay but there's some middle Eastern male patients who are apparently very rude to the female employees at this location. 

I'm going to go in and take notes and try my hardest but I'm going to tell them that by January 1, I'd like us to sit down and discuss whether: 1. They feel I'm doing an okay job and picking up the software at a reasonable pace, and 2. Whether I like the job and can see myself there. If the answer is no to any of those questions, I'd prefer we be honest about it and part ways amicably. The Ophthalmologist I work for can give me hours on Wednesdays from Jan. 15 to March 2nd because his other receptionist will be away on vacation. And then I can always take that dental secretary course after that if that's still something I will like to do. 

So anyway, pray for me and feel free to send some Xanax my way, y'all, heh. 

• Love 8

@jewel21 so you have 3 jobs rn? 

I’m really proud of you and happy. Any place would be lucky to have you and don’t be intimidated. I know you’re like me, have anxiety and push yourself. 

@jpagan05 I’ve actually been pretty depressed over it. The old serving job paid even if not being sat as much or getting parties was 2x what I make now. I can’t list that old job because of her knowing what she said when I did list it and all places high end are filled for the holidays or won’t hire me unless I list fine dining experience. And my last 2 weeks scheduled me shit so I was completely broke when having to take whatever I could train on and get. It was intentional to screw me as much as possible, I mean I know that since I’m not stupid but she told people there who told me she said it after in texts. If I’m honest I feel like a loser and really wanted that place to work out. She also announced she fired to the kitchen she fired their “gf” and seemed to hate me because I was skinny, which you guys know and she didn’t is because I’m vegan and went through some trauma. And it just makes me mad because a lot of my customers even when sat sporadically (50% of them daily) went up to her or sent notes saying I was the best server they ever had. My new place I’m above the pay grade and skill set but had to take whatever I could get for dough immediately and I can’t list old place. It’s a really fucked up situation that I don’t completely get and I get upset at myself. 

• Love 1

I think it's good to be honest with yourself @jewel21, especially if your mental health is at stake. I have anxiety as well and end up staying at jobs too long because I'm nervous about the devil I don't know. I let it take a toll on my health before and I'm not going to do that anymore. So unfortunately, I make $13 an hour working at a consignment store, but I love the owners and they have me doing visual merchandising and their social media, which I enjoy. I hope it works out for you.

Fuck them, @Petunia13! You didn't do anything wrong. I would say, tell whoever you interview with about the incident, especially since you have proof in writing. People get fired all the time. You could say that the manager didn't think you were a good fit but that you got great reviews from your customers. Someone who is a good manager can see talent a mile away and should be concerned about the bottom line- customer service, which is what keeps them in business.

• Love 8

So I'm curious about these sugar-free candies.  What is the sweetener used in them?  Is it the sweetener that causes the issues, or is it the combination of ingredients that does it?  I don't eat or drink anything sugar-free, but I do buy either stevia or monk fruit sweetener packets to have on hand just in case a guest can't have sugar.  I often end up using them myself if the packets are about to go past the expiration dates.  

• Love 5

It may be a liitle early for this, but my wish for 2020 (well, there's another 2020 wish, but we're not allowed to discuss it here) is that Petunia and jewel and all Preverts find their "home", a job that's fulfilling and rewarding and pays well, and the sense of peace that comes with that, and good health and happiness for us all and for our friends and family (2-legged, 4-legged, feathered, etc.)

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Snaporaz said:

So I'm curious about these sugar-free candies.  What is the sweetener used in them?  Is it the sweetener that causes the issues, or is it the combination of ingredients that does it?  I don't eat or drink anything sugar-free, but I do buy either stevia or monk fruit sweetener packets to have on hand just in case a guest can't have sugar.  I often end up using them myself if the packets are about to go past the expiration dates.  

Maltitol- here's another article https://www.forbes.com/sites/samlemonick/2016/10/28/that-time-gummy-bears-gave-everyone-diarrhea/#385b5283618a

Poop humor never ceases to amuse me. I'm seven.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2