Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

@jewel21 Awww, you'll get the hang of it. Puka had one winky eye and was sneezing a lot. My husband was in Florida for a wedding and I had to squeeze saline solution in her eye, wait 15 minutes, then squirt in medicine, three times a day for 10 days! My lovely and capable vet made it look so easy. It was awful. She would cry and then I would cry. But she got used to it and felt better. Steve will be okay. He trusts you and will get over it. Hang in there!

Edited by jpagan05
  • Love 9

h1n1_influenza_a.jpg

A deadly virus is spreading from state to state and has infected 15 million Americans so far. It's influenza

Why it’s so frustratingly difficult to know how bad the coronavirus outbreak will

Wilbur Ross sees the coronavirus outbreak as a moneymaking opportunity for the US -- Bottom feeder speaks: “I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America.”

What is going on with America’s boys? --  Journalist Peggy Orenstein crisscrossed the country talking to them about masculinity, women, and sex.

?m=02&d=20200127&t=2&i=1482080873&w=780&

A man prays during a celebration of the Lunar New Year eve at a temple in Jakarta, Indonesia, January 24, 2020. REUTERS/Ajeng Dinar Ulfiana -- Reuters Photos -- Lunar New Year celebrations

California, Mired in a Housing Crisis, Rejects an Effort to Fix It

What to Watch on Super Bowl Sunday Instead of Football

nikita.jpg?w=780

The Puppy Bowl, explained

Radiohead Public Library -- Stereogum has a nice rundown on library contents, including some rare stuff the band has uploaded to streaming services to celebrate the library’s opening. -- "Dubbed the Radiohead Public Library, the band’s official website Radiohead.com now contains comprehensive materials organized by album, starting with the A Moon Shaped Pool era and working backward. Among the treasure in this chest: high-quality concert and TV footage, B-sides and rarities, music videos, artwork, out-of-print merchandise, and playlists the band members shared during their recording sessions."

Accusers: Weinstein excused lewd acts as a showbiz norm

NFL’s Saints accused of helping shape clergy sex abuse list

The Hairy, Potbellied Mermen Taking the Canadian Coast

Parent resistance thwarts local school desegregation efforts

Scripps News Literacy Project

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

If emotional support animals are banned from planes, some people say they’ll stop flying -- Ever sit through a 5 hour flight with two support dogs, a support cat and support potbellied pig? I don't recommend it. <shrug> Use another form of transportation that can accommodate you. Why force an entire flight of passengers to suffer the same malady as the individual who demands the attendance of an emotional support animal? 

Boeing discloses U.S. SEC probe over 737 MAX

The psychology behind over- and under-packing -- Trip destination, previous travel experiences, and luggage type are some of the factors that influence how we pack.

AAIGrHg.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f

These clothes use outlandish designs to trick facial recognition software into thinking you're not human -- Giving Homeland Security Theatre another reason to cut you out of the herd.

Delta agrees to change uniforms workers said were toxic, after months of pressure

Coronavirus: How does this outbreak end? -- Epidemiologists outline three broad scenarios for how it could end.

How tech companies are scrambling to deal with coronavirus hoaxes -- Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and TikTok are full of misinformation about the Wuhan coronavirus.

Why some Australians are paying for private health care they don’t want to use -- This episode of The Impact podcast to learn what Australian health care can teach the US about a public option.

Why Texans Don’t Want Any More Californians -- Lions and Tigers and Californians! Oh my!

Body of Mexican butterfly conservationist found

?m=02&d=20191008&t=2&i=1438572068&w=780&

Victor, a 9-year-old white-tailed eagle equipped with a 360 camera, flies over glaciers and mountains in Chamonix, France, in this still image taken from a video released October 8, 2019. The bird and its handlers are preparing for the Alpine Eagle Race, a collaboration through the eyes of the eagle, a photographer and a scientist to fly over five glaciers in five European countries in five days, to raise awareness of global warming. Eagle Wings Foundation -- Chopard/Handout via REUTERS -- Reuters Photos -- Eagle eye view of the Alps

What a shame. Powerful and rich people fighting amongst themselves -- When Ana ditched Andrea

There are far worse things than polarization

The Conservatives Trying to Ditch Fake News -- The Dispatch wants to sell serious, fact-based stories to the right. But do Conservative readers want them?

What the virality of #GirlDad says about American fatherhood -- Wonder of wonders! Patriarchal culture is changing.

Utah’s “conversion therapy” ban is a major tipping point for LGBTQ rights

This climate problem is bigger than cars and much harder to solve -- Low-carbon options for heavy industry like steel and cement are scarce and expensive.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

171231204136-elvis-wedding-las-vegas-exl

Today is 02/02/2020 -- the first global palindrome day in 909 years -- Palindrome days are considered especially auspicious and full of good fortune, hence Elvis officiating at your wedding.

Super Bowl 2020: San Francisco 49ers vs. Kansas City Chiefs -- The 49ers and the Chiefs face off at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida, on Sunday, February 2. -- Some of the links in the article:

• What a lifetime of playing football can do to the human brain
  • he Kansas City Chiefs’ racist “Arrowhead Chop” has flown under the radar. Not anymore.
  • Why brands refer to the Super Bowl as “the Big Game”
  • What makes a Super Bowl ad successful? An ad exec explains.
  • The NFL's virtual first-down line, explained

New South Wales declares a 7-day state of emergency as Australia's deadly bushfires rage

Yesterday:

February 1 isn't just the start of Black History Month. It's National Freedom day, created by a former slave commemorating abolition

60 years ago, black students staged a sit-in at a segregated lunch counter. Google Doodle commemorates the protest that changed history

Knowing the Past Opens the Door to the Future The Continuing Importance of Black History Month

Groundhog Day results 2020: No shadow! Phil predicts early spring is coming -- Thanks, Phil

The growing threat of 'deepfakes'

Hamburg, Iowa: After the Flood

055ebbe5020334bb3ff80f7df2144af8.jpg

Bailey working the Selfie line 

Gang Of Four guitarist Andy Gill dies, aged 64

Other stuff:

Why this Russian gas company sponsors soccer teams -- Marketing 101

Early missteps and state secrecy in China probably allowed the coronavirus to spread farther and faster

UC Berkeley faces backlash after stating 'xenophobia' is 'common' or 'normal' reaction to coronavirus

Would you take a drug discovered by artificial intelligence? -- An OCD drug created via AI will be tested on humans.

Africa's Worst Locust Plague in Decades Threatens Millions

A new social network makes an old bet: That we want to hear from rich people -- But do people care anymore what tech billionaires have to say? -- Lie to me! Tell me what I want to hear! That's why millionaire Christianists/money lenders/house-flippers/skin-tightening B-listers/diet and exercise gurus successfully sell their "techniques" and wares on 30 minute infomercials.

If You're Trying to Lose Weight, Stop Doing These 5 Things

Privacy Law May Make Students Harder To Count For Census

When Don Mischer (halftime producer) asked Prince how he wanted to deal with the pouring rain, Prince wanted to know if Mischer could make it rain harder.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8
48 minutes ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

Prince!!!  Best half time show ever - except for maybe Bruno Mars!

For all his problems, Michael Jackson took the halftime show from placeholder to something a lot of people like better than the game itself. Totally agree about Prince though, the man was a genius.

• Love 7

We were listening to Prince radio on Spotify at work today. This came on, which is one of my favorite Prince songs. I had never heard this version before. Amazing.

I'm so sad about Andy Gill. I love Gang of Four. I've seen them several times. Josh Pappe from D.R.I. and Reed Mullin from Corrosion of Conformity also just passed away.

Edited by jpagan05
  • Love 3

800.jpeg

Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs! -- Super Rally: Mahomes, Chiefs win NFL title with late surge

Katie Sowers makes history as 1st woman coach at Super Bowl -- The first one opens the door.

Team Fluff is the winner of this year's Puppy Bowl

Kitten Bowl 2020: Recap, MVP, Highlights and Twitter Reaction

Odd Job: This teen bought a bunch of vending machines. Now he makes six figures. -- Nineteen-year-old Jamie Ibanez owns five vending machines, but he makes most of his money from his YouTube channel.

Texas oil spill restarts after previous containment: U.S. Coast Guard

Opinion: That Wells Fargo accounts scandal was even worse than you can imagine

Stephen King quits Facebook over concerns of 'false information' -- "Get offa' my lawn!"

Descendants of extinct tortoise species found in Galapagos

800.jpeg

New China virus details show challenge for outbreak control

As New Coronavirus Spread, China’s Old Habits Delayed Fight

China locked down 50 million people and has to keep them fed

800.jpeg

China opens virus hospital, market plunges as toll grows

The Last Time Democracy Almost Died -- As some people jump to increasingly bleak conclusions about the fate of our republic, I think about the Stockdale Paradox

From Good To Great, by Jim Collins: As I moved through the book (Stockdale's book In Love and War), I found myself getting depressed. It just seemed so bleak—the uncertainty of his fate, the brutality of his captors, and so forth. And then, it dawned on me: “Here I am sitting in my warm and comfortable office, looking out over the beautiful Stanford campus on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. I’m getting depressed reading this, and I know the end of the story! I know that he gets out, reunites with his family, becomes a national hero, and gets to spend the later years of his life studying philosophy on this same beautiful campus. If it feels depressing for me, how on earth did he deal with it when he was actually there and did not know the end of the story?”

“I never lost faith in the end of the story,” he said, when I asked him. “I never doubted not only that I would get out, but also that I would prevail in the end and turn the experience into the defining event of my life, which, in retrospect, I would not trade.” 

I didn’t say anything for many minutes, and we continued the slow walk toward the faculty club, Stockdale limping and arc-swinging his stiff leg that had never fully recovered from repeated torture. Finally, after about a hundred meters of silence, I asked, “Who didn’t make it out?” 
“Oh, that’s easy,” he said. “The optimists.” 
“The optimists? I don’t understand,” I said, now completely confused, given what he’d said a hundred meters earlier. 
“The optimists. Oh, they were the ones who said, ‘We’re going to be out by Christmas.’ And Christmas would come, and Christmas would go. Then they’d say, ‘We’re going to be out by Easter.’ And Easter would come, and Easter would go. And then Thanksgiving, and then it would be Christmas again. And they died of a broken heart.” 
Another long pause, and more walking. Then he turned to me and said, “This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose—with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” 
To this day, I carry a mental image of Stockdale admonishing the optimists: “We’re not getting out by Christmas; deal with it!”

The extremely small number of votes it takes to win the Iowa caucuses, explained

Chaucer! Rabelais! Balzac! -- Proposed Missouri book ban could jail librarians for loaning 'inappropriate' content -- Librarians and free speech groups contest bill limits readers' choices.

The Black List’s Franklin Leonard says greed can combat Hollywood’s bias -- It all comes down to the money.

That famous cello prelude, deconstructed -- Why Bach’s G major prelude is the perfect piece of music.

Perfection from Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 2/2/2020 at 6:14 PM, jpagan05 said:

We were listening to Prince radio on Spotify at work today. This came on, which is one of my favorite Prince songs. I had never heard this version before. Amazing.

<wipes away tears> Piano and Microphone 1983 is a beautiful record -- Listen to it on vinyl and be changed.

It hurts my heart knowing so much of what Prince recorded was dismissed or rejected in its entirety by Warner records.

I'm so sad about Andy Gill. I love Gang of Four. I've seen them several times. Josh Pappe from D.R.I. and Reed Mullin from Corrosion of Conformity also just passed away.

Our youth is leaving this mortal coil.

<turns it up to 11>

• Love 5

I've been out of town with Mr.Stunt, and catching up:

The best and worst of Super Bowl ads 

"I don't know where we parked. I was following you."

Jennifer Lopez’s Eternal Catch-22 -- The backlash to J.Lo and Shakira’s ‘Super Bowl Strip Show’ reveals how few people appreciate pole-dancing for the art it truly is ... for adult entertainment, boys.

Super Bowl Ads: Buy a beer for ... a tiny organic farm? -- Very tiny.

Scientists find another threat to Greenland's glaciers lurking beneath the ice

How America’s prisons and jails perpetuate the opioid epidemic -- Medications for opioid addiction work. Most prisons and jails don’t offer them.

Analysis: Chairman says prisons should not be warehouses

BBZjVoc.img?h=0&w=720&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&l

Second monarch butterfly sanctuary worker found dead in Mexico -- Body of part-time tour guide Raúl Hernández found days after that of reserve manager Homero Gómez González in Michoacán

Bernie Ebbers, ex-CEO convicted in WorldCom scandal, dies -- Someone check the temperature in hell.

200 cognitive biases rule our everyday thinking -- "They have to be carefully taught."

Kansas considers requiring ‘In God We Trust’ in classrooms

dirty-car-art-01.jpg

Dirty Car Art

Falwell and W.Va. governor pitch Virginia secession plea -- The neo-Confederacy rides again, because they didn't learn anything the first time around. 

‘Othered’ in America: An old story, still playing out daily

Notorious Utah brothel owner’s interview eludes historians

Cellphones in classrooms contribute to failing grades: Study -- Duh. 

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

if_you_can_keep_it.jpg

A Republic, If We Can Keep It -- The government set up by James Madison and the other Founders requires a virtuous public and virtuous leaders—or the whole system will fail.

Online political ads: cheap, efficient and ripe for misuse

Only Telephones Are Good -- In Iowa and everywhere else

The Company That Botched the Iowa Caucus Was Formed Only Months Ago -- Its app didn’t solve much, but it did reveal a lot. DNC Approved!

Uncanny Valley author Anna Wiener on the stories tech companies tell themselves -- And what those stories say about power.

The U.S. May Soon Have the World's Oldest Nuclear Power Plants -- Neighbors and scientists are worried, but operators argue there’s no better way to provide carbon-free energy. -- Tell that to the people in Pennsylvania watching the glow emanating from Three Mile Island Nuclear Power Plant. And they're not alone.

U.S. deploys 'more survivable' submarine-launched low-yield nuclear weapon -- Discount nukes? What's the point? Who wants to survive a nuclear attack?

BBZDP8d.img?h=495&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Why rare beetles are being smuggled to Japan at an alarming rate 

Permafrost is thawing so quickly in the Arctic it's leaving sinkholes

Tiny indigenous land highlights Brazil’s environmental woes

Jeffrey Epstein’s Mystery Bank Came Alive After His Death -- Money Money Money Money Money Money ...

“No country is fully prepared”: Why the coronavirus outbreak is a huge wake-up call -- A top biosecurity expert says the US and the world aren’t ready for a big, mass-casualty pandemic. -- Yeah, but we know how to build detention centers and dig mass graves real good.

800.jpeg

Architecture school started by Frank Lloyd Wright to close

How McKinsey Destroyed the Middle Class -- Technocratic management, no matter how brilliant, cannot unwind structural inequalities.

On TikTok, who owns a viral dance? -- “Renegade” and the thorny ethics of the world’s most popular dance memes.

Why you see online ads for stuff you buy in the real world -- Facebook isn’t following you around the mall, but the stores might be.

YouTube makes $15 billion a year from ads — and pays more than half of that to video makers Influencers, giant TV companies, and everyone in between gets a cut.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

I have listened to Dummy countless times. I love Portishead and Beth's solo stuff but I'm disappointed to see her smoking, especially at her age. I know that's opinionated but I watched a very good friend wither away a couple of years ago. He was 49.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

I have listened to Dummy countless times. I love Portishead and Beth's solo stuff but I'm disappointed to see her smoking, especially at her age. I know that's opinionated but I watched a very good friend wither away a couple of years ago. He was 49.

(((jpagan)))

My grandfather died from smoking-related emphysema. He never smoked until he served in WWII. He was this tall, vibrant man, that faded away into a shadow. 

Smoking is a very difficult habit to break. 

• Love 2

I'm sorry Cupid❤️. Yeah, I get it. Even after being diagnosed, receiving various forms of treatment, and at the request of his wife and two kids to please stop, Michael (was his name) would still smoke. And same, he was 6'3" and brilliantly funny and deep. He simply couldn't help it. It was tough to watch but I'm not sure stopping would have helped at point that anyway. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

I'm sorry Cupid❤️. Yeah, I get it. Even after being diagnosed, receiving various forms of treatment, and at the request of his wife and two kids to please stop, Michael (was his name) would still smoke. And same, he was 6'3" and brilliantly funny and deep. He simply couldn't help it. It was tough to watch but I'm not sure stopping would have helped at point that anyway. 

It's a terrible addiction. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Rest In Peace, Kirk Douglas, You came from nothing and you became a legend.  Valhalla, he is coming.

u-g-Q12PI210.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

Actor Kirk Douglas has died at the age of 103 -- The Spartacus star and anti-Blacklist activist was one of the last living links to Hollywood’s Golden Age.

My favorite movie by Kirk Douglas is Ace in the Hole:

Spectacle fuels the media in Billy Wilder’s prophetic 1951 satire Ace in the Hole -- Kirk Douglas plays an unscrupulous reporter with an eye for what will sell.

Into the bosom of Abraham ...

• Love 7

Dion Diamond: Reflections on 60 Years of Civil Rights Activism -- Dion Diamond recalls his activism and resistance, that began at the young age of 15. He shares how he got started challenging a segregated society while growing up in the 1950’s and 1960’s, through sit ins and peaceful protests.

Long-term maintenance for the border wall could cost billions, but government isn’t saying -- Billions, huh? Imagine that.

guernsey-cow-750x368.jpg

As Americans sour on milk, could these famous dairy brands disappear from your fridge? -- Moo.

40 Things to Purge from Your Life After 40 -- There's no better time to cut down on clutter, according to mental health and organization experts.

ViacomCBS Cuts Diversity Staff Amid Consolidation -- "We don't need your stinkin' diversity getting in the way of our money grubbing."

How Canada lifted nearly 300,000 kids out of poverty in a single year -- The Canadian government gives parents money each month. 

Stanford psychology expert: These are the top 3 things kids need—but most parents fail to provide

The Save the Manatee Club was founded by former Florida Governor Bob Graham (D) and Jimmy Buffet. It operates several above- and below-water manatee cams at fresh water springs. This time of year, when there’s a chill in the air, the manatees flock to warm water springs.

Epic and about 60 hospital chains come out against rules that would make it easier to share medical info -- Technology companies like Apple, Alphabet and Microsoft have taken the opposite stance.

Ten U.S. refineries emitted excessive cancer-causing benzene in 2019: report -- According to the EPA, the way to eliminate this issue is to allow for higher concentration limits. Ta dah! No problem.

The Evil List -- Which tech companies are really doing the most harm?

Ponzi scheme king Bernie Madoff says he is dying, seeks early release from prison -- Karma's a bitch.

GettyImages_956699356.7.jpg

Why we don’t know as much as we should about police surveillance technology -- Despite a growing number of high-tech tools, law enforcement agencies don’t seem to want to disclose what they’re using. -- Juggalos Untie!

Acronym, the dark money group behind the Iowa caucuses app meltdown, explained

Amazon, Nike, American Airlines: Tennessee anti-LGBT bills put ‘economic success at risk’ -- FedEx, was not among the signees.

One of America’s most vocal and prominent racists just received the Presidential Medal of Freedom -- Who's next? David Duke? 

As forests burn around the world, drinking water is at risk

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

oscars_1_Recovered.0.jpg

Oscar Nominations 2020 List: Nominees by Category

Awards Leaderboard: Top Movies of 2019

Let's dive right in … The Oscars' 'Harriet Tubman problem'

The A24 Films Snubbed By The 2020 Oscars Ranked (According to Rotten Tomatoes)

Editorial -- Oscar Nominations 2020: Full List of Nominated Films, Actors, Directors, and Filmmakers

Associated Press Oscars Coverage

I love movies. That’s why I hate the Oscars. -- Academy Award nominations spotlight great films. So why do the awards themselves leave me cold?

Oscar-nominated Parasite is a global hit. South Koreans know it’s a local story. -- “There is kind of this fatalism that is going on,” an expert told Vox.

Cynthia Erivo and Roxane Gay in Conversation: Inclusion, Politics and That Possible EGOT Title

parasite2.0.jpg

The Oscars’ international film category is broken

Gift or keep: The afterlives of red carpet looks is a dance

How to make a movie look like one long shot -- The trick to spotting cuts in a “one-take” film.

Will It win?

"Jojo Rabbit" writer-director Taika Waititi: Comedy is a powerful weapon against dictators

The ties that bind … Marriage Story’s gently funny take on love and divorce has won plaudits. Will it win Best Picture?

Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman takes on the director’s whole history and could win him his second Oscar

Ford v Ferrari feels like a classic Oscar movie. Can it win Best Picture?

1219_littlewomen3.jpg

Greta Gerwig’s fresh take on Little Women won’t win Best Picture, but it should

Will Once Upon a Time in Hollywood finally win Quentin Tarantino the Best Picture Oscar?

Why Parasite deserves to win Best Picture -- The Oscar chances for Bong Joon-ho’s critically acclaimed thriller about deception, class, and inequality.

https-hypebeast-com-image-2019-10-joker-

Joker is the most-nominated film at this year’s Oscars. It shouldn’t win Best Picture.

1917 vividly recreates WWI’s trench warfare. Is that enough to win Best Picture?

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

07china-virus01-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

A new martyr puts a face on China's deepening coronavirus crisis

Coronavirus has Americans rushing to buy face masks. That isn’t necessary. -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not recommend wearing them in the US.

Don’t scold people for worrying about the coronavirus -- Yes, we shouldn’t panic, but let’s not dismiss people’s worries so easily. There’s still much we don’t know about the virus.

A Cruise of Asia ends in virus quarantine -- ‘A floating prison,’ with a chance of drowning or dying from coronavirus

20 Inspiring black women who are making history in 2020

An Antarctic base recorded a temperature of 64.9 degrees F. If confirmed, it's a record high. -- The World Meteorological Organization says the Antarctic Peninsula, on the continent’s northwest tip near South America, is among the fastest warming regions on Earth.

GettyImages_1151438746.0.jpg

Why Republicans are suddenly in a rush to regulate every trans kid’s puberty -- Proposals in eight states would ban puberty blockers and hormones for trans minors.

Please Note: The Legislator Behind Virginia’s New Anti-Trans Bill Is Completely Nuts

More than 200 medical professionals condemn bills trying to restrict transgender kids from getting gender reassignment treatments

Virginia will eliminate a state holiday honoring Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. It'll make Election Day a day off instead

Governors warn regulation proposal could lead to big Medicaid cuts

A home with a couple who saved baby kangaroos from the fires

Pete Rose Asks for MLB Reinstatement in Wake of Astros' Sign-Stealing Scandal -- Still think major league sports isn't governed by arbitrary regulation? Crawl back behind your Racing Form and call your bookie. MLBaseball isn't going to exonerate a gambling addict.

The Simone Biles vault that might be too risky for the Olympics

Felix sets sights on fifth Olympics after year of change

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Actor-comedian Orson Bean, 91, hit and killed by car in LA

The Children's Army ...

BBZLvrs.img?m=1&b=black&w=624&h=351&f=jp

Mexican villagers formed a militia to defend themselves from a gang. The government was fine with it until they started arming children. 

He murdered three women and was after a fourth. These women outsmarted a serial killer

Former Pimco CEO in college admissions scandal gets 9 months in prison -- Douglas Hodge had pleaded guilty to paying $850,000 in bribes to get his kids admitted to elite colleges.

The Great Affordability Crisis Breaking America -- In one of the best decades the American economy has ever recorded, families were bled dry.

The Solitary Garden -- In 1960, David Latimer put some compost, water, and plant seeds into a large glass jar and sealed it up. And it’s been growing like that ever since, save for when Latimer opened the bottle to water it in 1972. It’s easy to take nature and evolution for granted but think about how marvelous this is. Over billions of years, an ecosystem evolved on Earth Puppies and older dogs face tough odds to win Westminster glorythat can sustain itself basically forever using light from the Sun.

BBZLLjc.img?h=433&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Lone wolf traveled 8,700 miles looking for a mate. She was just found dead in California

A World Without Privacy Will Revive the Masquerade -- As the growing scale of facial recognition shows, more data can always be extracted.

A 1921 massacre destroyed 'Black Wall Street' in Tulsa. The city still is looking for the dead

We finally have a new US maternal mortality estimate. It’s still terrible. -- Among 10 similarly wealthy countries, “the US would rank 10th.”

UN chief warns ‘a wind of madness is sweeping the globe’

This Is How Democracy Dies -- A new report shows that people around the world are collectively losing faith in democratic systems.

US lets autonomous vehicle bypass human-driver safety rules -- O_o

The White Stripes - 'Seven Nation Army'

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 2

And well deserved ...

800.jpeg

Making Oscar history, ‘Parasite’ wins best picture

MSN Academy Awards Coverage

Eminem singing “Lose Yourself” was the most baffling Oscars moment. It was also a milestone. -- The audience reactions to Eminem’s surprise performance were hilariously divided, but it was a win for the rapper. 

The best movies the 2020 Oscars didn't nominate -- <sigh> Still no love for the brilliant The Last Black Man in San Francisco.

Vox Academy Award Coverage -- Oscars 2020: winners, nominations, and biggest moments from the 92nd Academy Awards

Every party needs a pooper … Masked neo-Nazi white supremacists march in Washington DC -- Demonstrators yell ‘Reclaim America!’ and ‘Life, liberty, victory!’ ... For Chicken Shit White People!

BBZOMYQ.img?h=533&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Mo'ne Davis, barrier-breaking LLWS star, makes collegiate softball debut for Hampton -- To the fences, Mo'ne.

SEC Network denounces analyst's 'scantily clad girls' comment about gymnasts -- Open mouth. Insert other foot.

A Russian satellite is probably stalking a US spy satellite in orbit -- The Russian "Space Force" is more than empty camouflage uniforms and arm patches. Military Escalation Now! 

GettyImages_566445281.0.jpg

An area sacred to indigenous groups is being destroyed for the border wall -- Border wall construction in the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is threatening a burial ground and other sacred areas.

Who killed their children? -- Black mothers are determined to break a culture of silence. “I feel so frustrated cause I can’t get anyone to come forward and give me any information to figure out what exactly transpired. I guess I’m just looking for some closure.”

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 4

'Parasite' rich vs. poor theme evokes growing US wealth gap: 'It's never been this bad' -- Eat two, get one free.

Scrambled eggs made out of beans: A surprisingly good idea -- Sodexo’s deal with Just is an important milestone for eggless eggs.

The Murky Ethics of the Ugly-Produce Business -- America’s wonkiest fruits and vegetables have ignited a food war.

A scientist on the myth of ugly produce and food waste -- Startups Misfits Market and Imperfect Produce say they’re rescuing food that would otherwise be wasted. Sarah Taber is calling bullshit.

Save the Food

How Lucky's Market, a beloved organic grocery chain collapsed

Lucky's Market wanted to compete with Whole Foods. Now it's going bankrupt

Fairway files for bankruptcy with a plan to keep some stores open

Another Whole Foods competitor just bit the dust

sharks.HPcrop.jpg?v=at&w=1280&h=720

Cluster of sharks in one spot off Carolinas coast grows more intense, and mysterious  

Outcry over death of whistleblower doctor Li Wenliang

Food prices are soaring in China because of the coronavirus and swine fever

A cute video of a coyote waiting for a badger before using a culvert together to cross under a California highway has been making the rounds online. A well known behavior for these two species but previously unobserved in the Bay Area.

They hunt together for efficiency, occupying the surface and underground, each using its own strengths. When coyotes and badgers team up, the pairs track small, burrowing animals such as prairie dogs and ground squirrels. If the prey is above ground, the coyote usually chases it down, and the badger takes over the hunt if the prey descends underground. And not only do they find food together, but coyotes also have more success in this partnership than if they go it alone. Coyotes with badger cohorts catch an estimated one-third more ground squirrels than solo coyotes

There are some great pictures of such a hunting pair hanging out together on the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service’s site, and articles in a number of places documenting their collaboration, like here on National Geographic who also mention this unsurprising bit of historical context:

Of course, the interaction between the two animals has long been recognized by Native Americans, like the Navajo and Hopi, who have countless stories about the coyote (the trickster) and the badger (the long-clawed, clever digger) hunting and sharing meals together.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

800.jpeg

Westminster and work: Some show dogs serve, search or soothe

Happy meal: Poodle stops for fast food, wins at Westminster

A hijab and Azawakh hounds: Westminster dog show’s new faces

Was this the greatest dog of all time? -- The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show had a legend.

The Mormon Church Amassed $100 Billion. It Was the Best-Kept Secret In the Investment World. -- Can't be much of a secret if the Wall Street Journal tripped over the story.

Why Utah is sending workers to Mexico to buy medicine -- Because the state of Utah is too inept to negotiate medication pricing like the VA? 

800.jpeg

Virus stretches limits of strained public health systems

Scientists are identifying potential treatments for coronavirus via artificial intelligence -- Researchers used AI to mine through existing medical information to find drugs that they say might be helpful for tackling the novel coronavirus. 

How to have a baby, even if you’re worried you can’t afford it

The surprising altruism of babies -- Infants will give away food to a stranger even when they’re hungry, a new psychology study finds

An Algorithm That Grants Freedom, or Takes It Away

'Use Your Vote' -- Levi's Commercial

GettyImages_636756862.0.jpg

What’s the deal with airplane food? -- The science and secrets behind how in-flight meals are selected and prepared. -- Order kosher.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

My hubs works for Andaz. They have stand up paddle lessons in the morning. A few days ago, a tourist's board got bitten. The instructor, who's a young local kid, calmly had everyone get on all fours on their boards for more stabilization and paddle back to shore. The bite mark indicated a 14 foot tiger shark! It's crazy how little we know about shark behavior. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Speaking of critters. how are everybody's little darlings?

I was wondering the same thing.  @jewel21 hasn't given us a Steve update.  Also, we don't know if @Petunia13 got the job at the swanky landmark restaurant, or how your wrist is feeling, peaches.  How is your sister doing, Cupid?

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 7

Hi! 

Unfortunately I have not heard back from the vet about Steve’s cultures. I called on Monday and they said they still hadn’t received them and they will call me once they do.

I have no faith in them, though. Once when I worked there, a lady kept calling about her animal’s results and it turns out the tech forgot to send them out. It’ll be two weeks tomorrow and I’m getting impatient.

Work is irritating me and I got mad at my manager last week. I’m thankfully still working Wednesdays at the eye place but the other receptionist will be back March 1. I did make an appointment for next Wednesday to register for that dental course. It’ll be 20 years since I last took a course and I’m a bit anxious. I don’t even know if I I’ll like the course but it can pay well and they help place you afterwards. Plus, it’s only for 6 weeks...

How is everyone else doing?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My two kitties are doing well - although yesterday, my little boy horked up the biggest hairball I've ever seen!  It's that time of year....especially here on the east coast, where it is unseasonably warm for a few days, then it gets cold again.  What scared me the most about that hairball is the fact that I didn't know he was having any problems.  He was eating and going to the bathroom just fine.  It really was sudden - he was running around like he does, enjoying life, came to a dead stop, looked around like he was dazed and confused, then let out a quiet little howl and BAM!  Out came the hairball.  After that, he looked at me and silently apologized then took off running after his sister!  We sort of expect our babies to get rid of these things themselves, but what if he hadn't?  I wouldn't have known that thing was in his tummy!  I'm not kidding, it was a massive hairball.

More importantly, how is your wrist/arm doing?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Jewel, I'm sorry to hear the shitty vet's office hasn't gotten Steve sorted yet. That really wears on a person.

Lovesmesome, Horrors! That sounds like a hairball that was about to achieve sentience!

Is your sister doing better, Cupid?

Wrist is almost 100%. No more brace and I can do almost everything I could do before.

I'm starting to get concerned about Petunia. Anybody heard from her?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Melvin's his usual morose self. I found one of his collections of cellophane/foil balls/Uni-Ball pens/gas station receipts under the davenport while cleaning. He went into a sullen funk until I threw out a particularly spiky ball of foil, and all things were made right in his feline brain box.

15 hours ago, Snaporaz said:

I was wondering the same thing.  @jewel21 hasn't given us a Steve update. 

Keep a good thought about the vet clinic doing their job, and keep treating Steve.

Also, we don't know if @Petunia13 got the job at the swanky landmark restaurant,

Good question … How are you doing, Petunia?

or how your wrist is feeling, peaches.

Glad to hear your wing is flight-ready, Peaches.

How is your sister doing, Cupid?

She's doing incrementally better. There are always tears and set backs, but Bea soldiers on. Her in-law's aren't much help; they no longer have a financial involvement in the orchard and tree business, but that doesn't stop them from complaining.

The new orchard manager has a similar work ethic as she does, and is a good fit for the business. Mom and dad are staying on at the orchard through March. Bea flies out of San Francisco Friday for Hawaii (we fly out Thursday night), and will spend as much time as she wants or needs at the Stunt in-law's Winter Palace on the North Shore.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Jewel, I'm sorry to hear the shitty vet's office hasn't gotten Steve sorted yet. That really wears on a person.

Lovesmesome, Horrors! That sounds like a hairball that was about to achieve sentience!

Is your sister doing better, Cupid?

Wrist is almost 100%. No more brace and I can do almost everything I could do before.

I'm starting to get concerned about Petunia. Anybody heard from her?

glad your wrist is almost 100%!

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Melvin's his usual morose self. I found one of his collections of cellophane/foil balls/Uni-Ball pens/gas station receipts under the davenport while cleaning. He went into a sullen funk until I threw out a particularly spiky ball of foil, and all things were made right in his feline brain box.

I just love this about cats!   One of my cats - not sure which one - has the habit of collecting dried up, spent blooms that fall on the floor and hoarding them in the seat cushions of just one particular chair.  It makes me giggle.....like, what do they think they're going to do with dried up, spent orchid and Christmas cactus blossoms?  And they always look so dejected when I pull them out and throw them away, following me to the trashcan, hollering at me, as if I'm throwing away some precious thing (which I guess it is, to them!).  But a Uni-ball pen?  That would be really something to find!

The sad/happy thing about this in my house, is that our beloved cat of 19 years did the exact same thing, in the exact same chair.  Her beloved brother and/or sister is carrying on in her absence!

Life really does go on......and on and on.  I'm glad your sister is making her way through her grief.  No matter how long it takes, how short the steps are, she is still standing.

Have fun in Hawaii!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Love 9

The sad/happy thing about this in my house, is that our beloved cat of 19 years did the exact same thing, in the exact same chair.  Her beloved brother and/or sister is carrying on in her absence!

TIL cats have family traditions. BTW, I really like you new avatar!

• Love 8

?m=02&d=20200212&t=2&i=1489140496&w=780&

A dog competes in the Masters Agility Championship, February 8. REUTERS/Amr Alfiky

Reuters Photos: Westminster Dog Show

Farmers slam trucking brokerage giant with $1.1 billion lawsuit

Farmers worry Florida bill will worsen labor scarcity woes

White supremacist propaganda spreading, anti-bias group says

UK announces plan to fine firms for harmful online content -- The only time they change their prerequisites is when you hit them in the wallet.

p07n4fd2.jpg

Australia's 'black summer' provides glimmer of hope for climate policy action

Mountain lion captured after sighting in California backyard

You've got Mail -- Mysterious radio signal from space is repeating every 16 days

The night sky is increasingly dystopian -- SpaceX’s satellites are messing up astronomers’ observations. It’s just the beginning.

Why SpaceX Wants a Tiny Texas Neighborhood So Badly -- The residents of Boca Chica didn’t ask Elon Musk to move in, but now his company is taking over.

NTSB releases details in 2 crashes involving Tesla Autopilot

Who wants a teddy bear for Valentine’s Day? -- CVS, Walmart, and GiantTeddy.com all sell love-themed stuffed animals. Why?

Americans have fewer kids than they say they want. Alaska has a solution. -- Alaska’s small basic income is causing parents to have more kids.

Masturbation boosts your immune system, helping you fight off infection and illness -- I feel better already.

The assassination of Malcolm X is being reinvestigated after questions raised in a Netflix series

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

TIL cats have family traditions. BTW, I really like you new avatar!

Lol!  I guess they do carry on traditions!  Luckily, she didn't have too many bad habits.  These two, on the other hand, are hellions, very sweet and loving, but have some habits that seem impossible to break (like waking us up at 4:00 a.m. to be fed......and taking turns terrorizing us until we get up and feed them!).

Thanks - my avatar is for Valentine's Day........my ode to the cupid!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, lovemesomejoolery said:

I just love this about cats!   One of my cats - not sure which one - has the habit of collecting dried up, spent blooms that fall on the floor and hoarding them in the seat cushions of just one particular chair.  It makes me giggle.....like, what do they think they're going to do with dried up, spent orchid and Christmas cactus blossoms?  And they always look so dejected when I pull them out and throw them away, following me to the trashcan, hollering at me, as if I'm throwing away some precious thing (which I guess it is, to them!).  But a Uni-ball pen?  That would be really something to find!

When you watch their behavior or look into their eyes, you're witnessing nature primeval. They are burying their game for another meal (or in the case of faded blossoms or a collection of detritus and six Uni-Ball pens, playtime).

Isis bless em', because my Beam vacuum system and cleaning lady are giving Melvin the gimlet eye.

The sad/happy thing about this in my house, is that our beloved cat of 19 years did the exact same thing, in the exact same chair.  Her beloved brother and/or sister is carrying on in her absence!

Your original kitty probably scent marked the chair hidey hole, and the young'uns smell where to stash their treasures.

Life really does go on......and on and on.  I'm glad your sister is making her way through her grief.  No matter how long it takes, how short the steps are, she is still standing

Bea is very much like my father … They play their emotional cards close to the vest. No matter how much time Bea had to prepare, BILs death took the wind out of her … Also the reason my parents have stayed with her.

Have fun in Hawaii!

b35ca8c497e48c987d5991664e54cb56.jpg

Paradise.

It never gets old.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 8

sabes.jpeg.63600633a2c663f3c82bf38889be5310.jpegbelly.thumb.jpeg.d9c68a174a7ed2bb4916ad7e86533d60.jpeg

belly2.thumb.jpeg.13f80debd940987728b4d0c58f9a5e8d.jpeg

Kemosabe turns 13 this month!

puka.thumb.JPG.56f75e3e20686a0e2eff03c839243a94.JPG

Puka turns 13 in December.

Hubs and I charged plane tix to Europe yesterday. Right now all I feel is anxiety about 24 hours of flying and a 12 hour time difference. I'm a horrible flyer and sleeper. The first few days will not be pretty. I know this sounds dumb but I couldn't sleep all night last night. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, jpagan05 said:

sabes.jpeg.63600633a2c663f3c82bf38889be5310.jpegbelly.thumb.jpeg.d9c68a174a7ed2bb4916ad7e86533d60.jpeg

belly2.thumb.jpeg.13f80debd940987728b4d0c58f9a5e8d.jpeg

Kemosabe turns 13 this month!

puka.thumb.JPG.56f75e3e20686a0e2eff03c839243a94.JPG

Puka turns 13 in December.

Hubs and I charged plane tix to Europe yesterday. Right now all I feel is anxiety about 24 hours of flying and a 12 hour time difference. I'm a horrible flyer and sleeper. The first few days will not be pretty. I know this sounds dumb but I couldn't sleep all night last night. 

What handsome guys!  They look terrific.

It doesn't sound dumb at all to me, that's one long time to be traveling.  The last time I did a trip to Europe was 25 years ago, and as much as I'd love to do it again, I don't think I could stand those terribly long travel days.  I guess it's impossible to break the trip up a bit, have a day layover somewhere so you're not in planes and airports for such a long time?  Or maybe it's just bite the bullet time to get it all over with so you can start the vacation?

In any case, you've got to get through the mental anxiety no matter what, and when you do, maybe you'll be able to fall asleep to some exquisite dreams of the places you'll be seeing, the streets you'll be exploring and the adventures you haven't yet imagined will be coming your way.  But they will.

Oh my I'm feeling jealous!

When do you leave and we will want pictures!

• Love 7

Yes, jpagan, we definitely want pictures! I feel you on the anxiety, I have that too. Last time we went to Europe my doctor prescribed Xanax so I could get some damn sleep. Will you be getting a pet sitter? I remember when we got back from France our cat Silver met us in the driveway and yelled at us the whole way into the house, we swear he was saying "Never leave a man behind!" 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Paradise. 

It never gets old.

My nephew is messaging me from Waikiki right now.  Will you be on the north shore of Oahu? It spectacular there.

My fave is Maui.

3 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

I agree, it is a long journey but so worth it.  From where to where?  24 hours is long.  That is why I will never make it Australia.  Or Japan.

• Love 6