Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Screen-Shot-2019-06-06-at-2.33.22-PM.png

Chinese New Year 2020 -- Year of the Rat -- Try Dim Sum or a Potsticker. You won't be disappointed.

‘Days of God’: A look at Iran’s mounting crises

Are Australia’s koalas going extinct? We asked an ecologist. -- Fires have decimated koala populations. But one expert still has hope.

Why Australia’s fires are linked to floods in Africa -- Fires are normal in Australia. This year was off the charts. 

Officials want to clear a mile-long homeless camp on a Sonoma County bike trail. Some don't want to go -- Where are they supposed to go if they're homeless?

t_4cc4421d3e074282b32da09f00276c7f_name_

Coyote Ugly

A 'ghost net' in Hawaii is threatening marine life right now

How a clunky, retro hair dryer suddenly went viral -- Devices like the Revlon One-Step have been around since the ’70s. What made this one a bestseller? -- Because it works?

The Netherlands has universal health insurance and it’s all private -- How the Dutch harnessed the market to cover everybody.

Evelyn Yang was assured justice. Here's how the doctor she says assaulted her went free

21 kids sued the government over climate change. A federal court dismissed the case. -- Plaintiffs in the Juliana v. US lawsuit alleged the government violated the rights of young people to a safe climate.

National Archives apologizes and removes altered photo of 2017 Women's March: 'We made a mistake'

greenwood.jpg

"Construction Worker" (1940) by Marion Greenwood. Marion Greenwood from the Whitney Museum of American Art -- The Mexican muralists who shaped modern American art

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 10

Singer-songwriter David Olney dies on stage at age 71 -- Died as he lived. Godspeed, David.

22 men own more wealth than Africa's 326 million women, Oxfam says -- Duh.

“Flood the zone with shit”: How misinformation overwhelmed our democracy

Yes, the UK media’s coverage of Meghan Markle really is racist -- The UK press’s continued denial of racism just shows how entrenched these attitudes are.

Fast Furniture Is an Environmental Fiasco -- Furniture waste has grown appallingly in recent decades. So have shipping emissions.

This Small Kitchen Tweak Might Save You a Few Hundred Dollars This Year -- How to stop using paper towels. -- I use cloth diapers; durable, bleachable, lint-free, one-time purchase, cleans up a multitude of sins and spills.

The Silicon Valley Economy Is Here. And It’s a Nightmare. -- Low pay, soaring rents, and cities littered with e-scooters. Welcome to the future.

AP visits immigration courts across US, finds nonstop chaos

main_900.jpg?1579034294

The Story: Second Place, Macro. "Pygmy lemon gobies inhabit a discarded beer bottle." Lembeh Strait, Indonesia. © Wu Yung-Sen / Ocean Art -- Winners of the 2019 Ocean Art Underwater Photo Contest

Why Michelin chefs are handing back their stars

Wuhan pneumonia outbreak: What we know and don’t know -- Three US airports will begin screening for passengers with the virus.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

ukr75rxuftvy.jpg

Martin Luther King, Jr. -- I Have a Dream  Speech delivered 28 August 1963, at the Lincoln Memorial, Washington D.C.

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languished in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. And so we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."

But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning. And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. And there will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.

We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.

We cannot turn back.

There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities. **We cannot be satisfied as long as the negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their self-hood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating: "For Whites Only."** We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until "justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream."

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. And some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning:

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride,    From every mountainside, let freedom ring!

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that:

Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

• Love 12

MLK.0.jpg

“King-Lee Day” and other ways states bend MLK’s legacy -- How can some places use the federal holiday to honor “human rights” and Confederate generals — and not the civil rights leader?

Navy to name new aircraft carrier for African American WWII hero

TikTok is full of Sephora and Chipotle employees spilling secrets. That can get complicated. -- Employees and former employees are the best brand ambassadors money can’t buy, but companies aren’t partnering with them.

How Lunar New Year became a shopping holiday for Western brands -- Gucci, Nike, and Sephora have released new merchandise for the Year of the Rat. -- I'm an Adidas fan and got a Customer Sale coupon for 50% off on everything online, plus an additional 30% off at check out … I won't tell you what Sephora is trying to do to my Visa card; It's criminal.

How Skin Care Became an At-Home Science Experiment

I read about this fellow organizing a Christmas party for strangers in December, but forgot to follow up -- Apologies for the timing, but the story has many merits. Inspired by his holiday solitude in a new place last year, Brad Lancaster decided to host a Vancouver Christmas dinner for people who were going to be alone that day. Word got out, donations poured in, and he ended up hosting 50 people for a baller holiday dinner. Lovely.

Letter from California: Gimme Shelter -- The cost of living in the Bay Area

The Amish Keep to Themselves. -- A year of reporting by Cosmo and Type Investigations reveals a culture of incest, rape, and abuse. 

10 years after Vatican reform, Legion in new abuse crisis

Suspected 'Pillowcase Rapist' who terrorized South Florida women in early 1980s arrested

What Captivates Children About The Snowy Day? -- Ezra Jack Keats’s picture book is the most checked-out volume of all time at the New York Public Library. A professor of children’s literature examines why the book has connected with so many kids. 

r2d2.png

Another actor brought low by drugs and alcohol.

Whatever happened to _____?

A Menu of Invasive Species -- One approach to dealing with unwanted plants and animals: Eat them. -- My father and brother join a hunting party that hunts invasive wild boar for local Texas food shelves and their own tables.

Malaysia sends back trash, says won’t be world’s waste bin

The Cancer Chair -- Is suffering meaningless?

Prince wrongful death case dismissed; estate case continues

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7

Somewhat good news. I have my face to face interview at that bougie place on Thursday afternoon. I hope it goes good. Also I’m going to junk my old car and someone said they’d give me their used Prius for a couple hundred dollars (the registration and plates are gonna be another few hundred). I haven’t driven the Prius but rode in it. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Somewhat good news. I have my face to face interview at that bougie place on Thursday afternoon. I hope it goes good. Also I’m going to junk my old car and someone said they’d give me their used Prius for a couple hundred dollars (the registration and plates are gonna be another few hundred). I haven’t driven the Prius but rode in it. 

Great news! 

• Love 7

‘Naughty boy’: Monty Python star Terry Jones dies at 77

What a Billionaire Thinks Every Kid Should Know -- What has made Ray Dalio, the billionaire who founded the biggest hedge fund in the world, so financially successful? Dalio himself has offered an explanation: In 2017, he summed up his accumulated wisdom in a book called Principles: Life & Work, which was purchased by more than 2 million people worldwide and received testimonials from a phalanx of other billionaires, including Bill Gates, Mark Cuban, and Michael Bloomberg. Now, so that an even broader audience may access his insights, Dalio has condensed the nearly 600 pages of Principles down to 157, in the form of a picture book released late last year called Principles for Success. This simpler version—a mostly abstract blueprint for accomplishing one’s goals—is intended, Dalio told me, for readers ages 6 to 60, and beyond. -- Oh joy.

Why Luxury Units in Manhattan Skyscrapers are Empty

The lost neighborhood under New York’s Central Park -- A historically black village’s destruction made way for Central Park’s creation.

Grammys CEO says she was ousted after reporting harassment

Is America Ready for the Next Pandemic?

A SARS-like virus is spreading quickly. Here’s what you need to know. -- Hundreds of people have been sickened by a new coronavirus in at least six countries, including the US.  

1917 took the plot from Gallipoli (a superior war film), plus the told-in-real-time gimmick of High Noon, the cut-hiding chicanery of Rope, with a Whack-A-Mole number of celebrity cameos reminiscent of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Newfoundland asks for military help after record blizzard

No Regrets -- Ex-CIA contractor defends brutal post-9/11 interrogations

Associated Press Photos: Aushwitz Survivors Still Bear Witness

Survivor stories spotlight Auschwitz liberation anniversary

Lip Sync Battle - Iggy Azalea's "Teenage Dirtbag" vs. Nick Young's "Sugar"

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

61mLR4fwCiL._AC_SY679_.jpg

My mistake … wrong Doomsday Clock.

What the 'Doomsday Clock' means and why it's bad when we're close to midnight  … Pessimists.

Supreme Court weighs in on religious education funding, school choice

Coronavirus outbreak

How Germany helped make renewable energy cheap for the rest of the world -- One man, some very old solar panels, and a law that looks a lot like part of the proposed US Green New Deal helped transform the way Germany gets its power.

Harvey Weinstein trial

How healthy is your neighborhood for your child? Take a look

Asian American racism is the unfunny joke the comedy world needs to reckon with -- Grappling with a culture that’s still okay with making fun of people like me.

2000.jpeg

Muslim millennial's site dispels stereotypes for millions

The war on Muslims

San Francisco Pride members voted to ban Google and YouTube from their parade -- Supporters of the ban say the company isn’t doing enough to stop hate speech on its platforms.

California has been passing tough animal welfare laws. A court just handed the state a big victory. -- The courts keep backing states’ rights to pass animal welfare laws.

Abused circus animals arrive at South African sanctuary -- Twelve tigers and five lions have been relocated to South Africa after being rescued from circuses in Guatemala following years of abuse and confinement

GettyImages_614268808.0.jpg

Mr. Peanut’s death, explained -- Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe is dead at 104.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Megyn Kelly Claims Double Standard over Robert Downey Jr.'s Tropic Thunder Blackface

-- "Did you see Tropic Thunder?” The Nation editor Dave Zirin tweeted. “His character was a parody of an idiotic, egomaniacal actor who thought he was making some kind of deep point. In other words, his character was a parody of people like you.” --  $69 million and still defending the indefensible.  

A new Supreme Court case could unravel financial protections for US consumers

TAG! You're It!

Is it okay to sacrifice one person to save many? How you answer depends on where you’re from. -- A new study uses the famous trolley problem to show how our culture shapes our moral beliefs.

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1579745802

The Biggest Celestial Event of the Year Could Happen Tomorrow ... or, well, maybe not for 100,000 years

Alcohol Abuse -- California vineyard spills nearly 100K gallons of red wine

Some opioid executives are finally going to prison -- A rare moment of serious accountability for an American corporation. -- I'll celebrate when there's a Sackler family perp walk.

First Mr.Peanut and now Nancy Drew ...

America Is Overrun With Bathrooms -- In the past half century, the number of bathrooms per American has doubled.

Toxic chemicals that never break down were found in the drinking water in several major US cities

Odd Job: He lost his leg in Afghanistan. Now he reenacts that horrible day to train others for battle. Casualty actors help train medical and military services about how to behave in a crisis.

The top UN court ordered Myanmar to protect the Rohingya. An expert explains what it means.

Invasion Day is a day of mourning for Indigenous Australians. The bushfires make this year extra poignant. -- The deep connection between the fires, colonization, and Aboriginal protest, explained.

Bob Marley’s kids celebrate late reggae icon’s 75th birthday

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but us can free our minds …"

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

"The Nancy Drew books were powerful because a smart, brave, independent young woman solved crimes by doing all the things we got told weren't for girls," feminist writer Claire Heuchan tweeted. "Killing her off so two male characters can have an adventure is the ultimate betrayal of that legacy."

I have no words. "Hey, young readers, no strong female role models. Not yours." Screw these people with a rusty chain saw.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Eh, it's obviously a fake-out. And now I'm curious as to why Nancy's faked her own death, plus the reveal of her not being dead ought to be pretty awesome. I may have to check this comic out...

Maybe so but it still takes her off the canvas for the majority of the story and makes it about two dudes.

• Love 5

I don't follow sports but I knew he was a basketball player and watched some news coverage and recognized him. It's really sad. I feel for his family but I feel especially sad for the loss of his 13 year old daughter. At least they are together. 

I'm especially annoyed today. From the kid upstairs who constantly stomps and runs up and down the house all day from 9 am until 10 pm... to the downstairs tenants who decided to start a fire or something and make my basement smell of smoke...to certain pompous family members...to my manager...

I'm just finding myself stressed and unsure of the future and worried about everything. 

On 1/25/2020 at 4:39 PM, peacheslatour said:

Maybe so but it still takes her off the canvas for the majority of the story and makes it about two dudes.

There's no indication of how long the faked-death part would go on. Nancy very well could reveal herself at the end of the first issue, and really, that's the likeliest scenario. So, I'm not going to jump to conclusions.

• Love 1

I made an appointment for Steve this Wednesday. His nares were more blocked today. It's with the vet he is currently seeing, but at the old Montreal hospital. His vet owns both clinics and works at both places. Sadly his schedule at the new place conflicted with work so I have no choice but to bring him to the place I hate. It's kind of stressing me to be honest.

I just hope he's okay and it's nothing serious. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I hope Steve is okay @jewel21. I have to bring my Puka kitty to the vet this week to have her anal glands expressed.  ( * )👃💩🤭

She is one of two cats in my vet's entire practice that needs it done, poor baby. Then when she gets home Kemosabe hisses and swats at her because he haaaaaates the vet and can smell it on her. Divas.

puka.jpg.67beac7efb37fbe0f59c459e63e51215.jpgdiva2.JPG.48c4105de3126d2846ee18220182717d.JPG

• Love 9
1 hour ago, jpagan05 said:

I hope Steve is okay @jewel21. I have to bring my Puka kitty to the vet this week to have her anal glands expressed.  ( * )👃💩🤭

She is one of two cats in my vet's entire practice that needs it done, poor baby. Then when she gets home Kemosabe hisses and swats at her because he haaaaaates the vet and can smell it on her. Divas.

puka.jpg.67beac7efb37fbe0f59c459e63e51215.jpgdiva2.JPG.48c4105de3126d2846ee18220182717d.JPG

Thank you, me too. Last time it took months for him to get well and costs me thousands of dollars and I was lucky to be working there at the time so I got everything at half price. And it was really hard on Steve. I don't want him going through that again. 

I feel bad for your poor baby. That sounds so unpleasant. She's so cute. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

It's the same thing with my dog, Hazel.  Every six weeks we go to the vet to have it done.  She's good about it but doesn't like it.  I've tried to learn how to do it myself - vet tried to teach me - but I just don't have the touch.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, boes said:

It's the same thing with my dog, Hazel.  Every six weeks we go to the vet to have it done.  She's good about it but doesn't like it.  I've tried to learn how to do it myself - vet tried to teach me - but I just don't have the touch.

Don't feel bad, I was a vet tech and I never could do it either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

WienermobileIstock.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Wienermobile gets pulled over, and fans relish the jokes

"American Dirt" sparks debate on racial appropriation and the marketing of mediocre popular fiction

Oprah says she wants to hear “both sides” of the American Dirt debate on racial appropriation -- Now she wants to have a conversation, instead of due dillience ... And not the first time.

Though the initial eulogies triggered by Kobe Bryant’s sudden death Sunday rightly centered on the loss of a cultural icon, this was not a man who could be captured in a phrase or a snapshot.

Hundreds of Amazon employees plan to risk their jobs this week by violating company policy -- Workers say Amazon threatened to fire employees who criticized its environmental policies; now, they’re planning to speak out en masse.

GettyImages_1193944969.0.jpg

Environmental pollution on the river banks surrounding some of the textile industry buildings of Savar Upazila in Dhaka, Bangladesh. -- Andrew Aitchison/In pictures via Getty Images

Fashion has a misinformation problem. That’s bad for the environment. -- Questionable facts plague the conversation around sustainability and fashion, and that makes the industry harder to regulate.

College football coach suspended after saying Hitler was undeniably ‘a great leader’ -- The normalizing of Fascism trudges forward.

How Netflix is winning more with less content -- Netflix has about 50 percent fewer titles than it used to but more awards nominations than ever.

These trans women are taking states to court for the right to legally change their names -- Some trans people with criminal records must legally go by their former name in 17 states. These lawsuits challenge that.

What a CEO mom’s viral nanny ad says about gender, work, and power -- Is it okay to look for a nanny who can ski ... and do it all effortlessly? Adventures in Babysitting ... CEO Interview with Slate

***No Daisy's were harmed ect, ect***

E-boys are the new teen heartthrobs and they’re poised to make serious money -- Can't sing. Can't dance. Can't act their way out of a shopping bag ... That's entertainment!

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 6
On 1/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, jpagan05 said:

Puka's beautiful!

Our last cat had to have her glands expressed when she was young and while they tried to teach me to do it, it made me sick to my stomach, plus, like you said, I'd rather have her mad at the vet than mad at me!  At around 4 years old, her little behind started functioning normally, and we no longer had to have it done.  She lived to be 19 years old......As she got older, I grew concerned that the issue would return, but it never did, thank goodness!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Is anyone else's 2020 looking like this so far?

Stress, stress, stress, stress, stress....

Worry, worry, worry, worry, worry...

Stress, stress, stress, stress, stress...

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes. 

There does seem to be a lot of tension in the air.  Not surprising, considering 2020 started with a preview of World War 3.  And that feels like it was six months ago instead of just a few weeks ago. 

Sending handsome Steve lots of positive thoughts for his vet visit.  💓

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9

Thanks, Snap. I needed some positive thoughts. 

I suffer from anxiety, and my default is to go to straight to worse case scenario. I need to remind myself to try and not worry until there's actually something to worry about. There's just so much up in the air about Steve, work, money, gramps, etc. Unlike Buttbiscuit, I actually miss therapy, lol. 

Let all us Preverts unite and send out some positive vibes like these guys below, lol. FYI, second from the right is Champ Bear. He was the carebear my mom got me for my 7th birthday. I still have a soft spot and get excited when I see him to this day. I didn't know his name was Champ Bear, though, I called him Win Bear instead, lol. 

care bears nostalgia GIF

• Love 11
6 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Thanks, Snap. I needed some positive thoughts. 

I suffer from anxiety, and my default is to go to straight to worse case scenario. I need to remind myself to try and not worry until there's actually something to worry about. There's just so much up in the air about Steve, work, money, gramps, etc. Unlike Buttbiscuit, I actually miss therapy, lol. 

Let all us Preverts unite and send out some positive vibes like these guys below, lol. FYI, second from the right is Champ Bear. He was the carebear my mom got me for my 7th birthday. I still have a soft spot and get excited when I see him to this day. I didn't know his name was Champ Bear, though, I called him Win Bear instead, lol. 

care bears nostalgia GIF

Finances are stressing me out big time this year since it started with so many bills increasing while my income only went up by a few dollars a month. I'm under contract with one of them for a few more months so I'm going to have to call to see about downgrading services since the ETF would still be too high.

My Nana got me Funshine Bear which is the yellow one when I was young. I also had Lotsa Heart Elephant which was a Carebear Cousin.

I hope Steve's vet appointment goes well @jewel21.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 8

4804.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

US dropped record number of bombs on Afghanistan last year -- Warplanes dropped 7,423 bombs and other munitions, the most since Pentagon began keeping track in 2006

50 US service members diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries after Iranian missile strike

How Iran’s Soleimani became a US target -- He commanded an army of militias across the Middle East.

“The moral guardrails ... have dropped”: Why anti-Semitism persists  Is anti-Semitism making a comeback?  -- Did it ever go away?

How much TV should your toddler watch? -- None?

BBZqjNk.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=

Amateur stargazers capture new form of northern lights

A month after Puerto Rico's earthquakes began, more than 4,000 still sleep outside

America’s Climate Refugees Are Pleading for Help. The Government Has No Answer. -- Four tribes and one Native Alaskan village need to be relocated due to rising waters.

West Coast longshore union braces for bankruptcy, unnerving labor nationally

New York, FTC sue 'pharma bro' Shkreli, others over Daraprim price hikes -- Bloodsucker.

How America Treats Its Own Children -- Child poverty, homelessness, violence, obesity, illness: The United States is already an outlier.

In the UK’s health system, rationing isn’t a dirty word -- (The US health insurance system already rations health care) The UK has one of the most equitable health care systems in the world. Here’s how.

Why the media is so polarized and how it polarizes us -- We talk a lot about the left/right divide in political media. But we don’t talk enough about the more fundamental divide that precedes and, in some ways, causes it: the interested/uninterested divide.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Me too, sad tp say.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Waiting at the vet, doc is running late. I don't know who is more impatient or stressed, me or Steve. I hate this place, my skin crawls just sitting in the waiting room. I feel you, Steve. I feel you.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, pearlite said:
  20 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Shitty, shitty, shitty, shitty, shitty...

...mmmm...my shitty response is in the quote section.

Odd.

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Well after spending close to $400, we have to wait for some cultures to come back. The good news is the vet doesn't think it's aspergillosis as Steve would be looking and feeling very sick. 

I do have to give him a nasal flush once or twice a day at least until the cultures come back and possibly long term and I'm not looking forward to that. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Well after spending close to $400, we have to wait for some cultures to come back. The good news is the vet doesn't think it's aspergillosis as Steve would be looking and feeling very sick. 

I do have to give him a nasal flush once or twice a day at least until the cultures come back and possibly long term and I'm not looking forward to that. 

Thanks for letting us know. I worried about Steve all last night. ❤️

• Love 8

28CLI-ANTARCTICA1-superJumbo.jpg

Water Temperatures at the Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica Alarm Scientists

James Mitchell Is Our Own American Monster -- There is a price we all pay when one administration decides not to look at the crimes of the one that preceded it. -- Next on the pillory John Yoo of the Hoover Institution, famous for his legal opinion memo in response to the General Counsel of the Department of Defense, in which he concluded that torture not allowed by federal law could be used by interrogators in overseas areas by the CIA.

WHO declares global emergency as China virus death toll reaches 170 -- That's a comfort.

American Law Does Not Take Rape Seriously -- Permeating every moment of Harvey Weinstein’s trial is the disturbing history of sexual-assault prosecution in America.

Why it's time to redesign the old air conditioner

Pastor’s fight against KKK becomes movie that may aid battle

Sandy Hook denier charged with having victim’s dad’s ID info

f608349b-60fb-4f2f-8a27-64f2b6c04735-AFP

Portion of US border wall in California falls over in high winds and lands on Mexican side

The New Trophies of Domesticity -- For many young Americans, stability and sophistication look like a KitchenAid mixer.

How to delete what Facebook knows about your life outside of Facebook -- The “Off-Facebook Activity” tool lets you see — and somewhat control — what other sites and apps tell Facebook about you.

The Facebook “Clear History” Button Is Finally Here -- You can find out—and erase—all the data the social network collects from your web browsing. Here’s what that will change.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

So while I wait for my bird's cultures to come back from the lab, I have to give him a nasal flush once or twice a day.

So basically I have to hold him upright and place a drop of solution over one nostril and watch him huff it out, and then place a drop over the other nostril.

That was no where near as simple as they promised me it would be. Firstly, he's squirmy and I only got the drop in one nostril for sure. The other one kept sliding off since the drop is bigger than his nostril. Oh well, hopefully practice makes perfect.

Also, after huffing and puffing and squawking in protest, he then proceeded to yell at me for 4 minutes straight. Loudly. And with feeling.

• Love 5