Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out of Genoa

• Start Topic

Thanks for the kind words and feedback friends.

@Petunia13 yes I have 3 jobs rn. Even with all three, I’m still not getting 40 hrs a week. And I’m sorry about what you’re going through. It sucks and I know what it’s like to work for people who want to see you fail and no matter how hard you try you’re doomed to fail. It’s a terrible feeling and I hate that you’re going through it.

@jpagan05 I’m paid only $15 at my main job which is low. When I told the dentist what they paid me after he asked, he called them cheap. Considering I have been there almost 4 years, I tend to agree. But I also understand loving your job and not caring so much about the pay.

@Snaporaz not silly at all. It’s super appreciated. Thank you!

• Love 10

So, imagine you're sick with a bad cold, your husband's an insulin dependent diabetic who's out of town.  You are desperately looking for cold medicine in his bathroom, because he always keeps this stuff on hand.  He's better about being prepared for cold and flu season than you are.  Luckily, you find some non-expired Dayquil, which means you don't have to run out to Target to get it.  You also come across some wonderful cough drops called "Nice".  They were so, well, nice.  You eat a ton of these sugar free cough drops, which make your throat feel great, have a nice kick of menthol in them that helps you able to breath like a human being again.  You feel awesome. 

Until a couple of hours later when, literally, the shit hits the fan!  Your husband dutifully calls you that evening, you tell him that you must have the flu as well as a terrible cold.  He asks what you're taking for the cold, you explain Dayquil and those great cough drops you found in his medicine cabinet.  He starts laughing.

Nice cough drops are sugar free.  They had manitol in them.  Luckily, they have changed the formulation.  I guess we know why?

End of my little story. 

Heed the warning on sugar free products that say  "may have a laxative effect".  They aren't joking.

As an aside, products with a sugar free based alcohol, like manitol, are not calorie free.  They have as many calories as sugar.  So if you are choosing a sugar free product, check the ingredients - you may not be getting less calories but you might be getting a date with your bathroom for an extended period of time!

Edited by lovemesomejoolery
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Snaporaz said:

It's kind of crazy that the companies that make these products clearly know about this, yet they don't switch to a sweetener that doesn't have that particular side effect.

It's probably really cheap. If they switched it would cut into their bottom line. I mean human suffering can't get in the way of huge profits.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 12/2/2019 at 11:39 AM, peacheslatour said:

Never, ever eat sugar free gummy bears, That's a tip from me to you, my friends.

Years ago I was told by my agent if I needed to drop a few pounds to eat 4-5 pieces of sugar-free (mannitol) candy and I'd be at weight in 18 hours. Between the full colon cleanse, you'll lose about 2 lbs of water weight. Umm … No thanks.

Sugar-free candy is commonly use by actors and models that follow the 18 hour daily fast.

Thank you for all your kind words and prayers. 

BILs heartbeat and breathing are slowing down, still in a coma. Bea, Mom, and I play his favorite music, read out loud, I put up a Christmas tree in BIL's room last night, and working on the living room tree tonight. Mom and I have cooked and cleaned and washed everything in sight when we aren't sitting at his bedside. When Bea isn't with her husband, she's walking in their orchard.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 1

Yeah a lot of eating disordered people like sugar free stuff because they get to eat something or have something sweet and have a laxative effect and buy a lot of this which might be why the companies haven’t changed formulas. That’s not shade to them by the way. 

So this happened. I don’t like my new job —way less money for same or more work, I just was desperate for dough and few server places that are high end are hiring and I can’t list my last place on my applications... blah blah blah yackety smackety. Today I was walking up stairs into the PDR where the shift lead and a girl server were blabbing to ask when I’d be cut (it was slowwww) and I jumped and screamed. The two girls looked at me like I was a lunatic bitch and asked “what’s wrong with you?” in snotty tones.  I said nothing but the dead mouse in front of you. They were too busy gossiping to notice it I guess. Later during my shift a cook said she saw a mouse relayed it via busser it was trapped in a corner. And I didn’t assume anything, then after talking to my customers for their order and rang it in I went back. And one of the kitchen staff was spraying it with the high pressure hose and the hot water used for doing dishes then went to grab a knife in front of me. I grabbed a tray and container, calm AF and brushed them past, scooped it into the container and put the tray on top and walked outside. The poor thing seemed drowned & possibly burned. I performed mini cpr on it behind some bushes, it looked like a baby, tiny AF with a big head, tiny legs, big feet. It didn’t revive but when I went out an hour later was gone. I hope baby spat that water out and skeddaddled. 

How fucking cruel. If I had known they’d be that deranged I would have ran back and picked it up then. I’m vegan so I take spiders outside even (and I’m not the biggest fan of/scared spiders!).

the people who were the most scared of the tiny mouse were men and this morbidly obese lady cook. I feel like there’s some snarky not nice jokes in that. I’m not thinking them just sad this happened to something that did nothing wrong. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Years ago I was told by my agent if I needed to drop a few pounds to eat 4-5 pieces of sugar-free (mannitol) candy and I'd be at weight in 18 hours. Between the full colon cleanse, you'll lose about 2 lbs of water weight. Umm … No thanks.

Sugar-free candy is commonly use by actors and models that follow the 18 hour daily fast.

BILs heartbeat and breathing are slowing down, still in a coma. Bea, Mom, and I play his favorite music, read out loud, I put up a Christmas tree in BIL's room last night, and working on the living room tree tonight. Mom and I have cooked and cleaned and washed everything in sight when we aren't sitting at his bedside. When Bea isn't with her husband, she's walking in their orchard.

(( hugs )) to you and your family

• Love 9

Poor little guy.

A couple of years back, there was a mouse in the bathroom of the place I work. The physiotherapist's foot was just about to come down on it when I shouted noooo from the waiting room. I locked myself in the bathroom with him and first tried to get him in a box and then tried to grab him with a towel. He climbed up the inside of my pant leg and was on the side of my knee before I could put my hand up and stop him from climbing any higher up my bare leg. He was quiet at first but then I thought I felt a little scratch or nibble and got nervous. I went outside and a patient swatted him down and he ran across the street. I ended up with a really bad flu a day and a half later and I'm not sure if it was related or not. But at least I saved Lewis and felt good about it. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Cupid Stunt, it sounds beautiful and awful and timeless and nail-biting and everything under the sun, but you're there and helping and nothing matters more.

Love to you.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Poor little guy.

A couple of years back, there was a mouse in the bathroom of the place I work. The physiotherapist's foot was just about to come down on it when I shouted noooo from the waiting room. I locked myself in the bathroom with him and first tried to get him in a box and then tried to grab him with a towel. He climbed up my pant leg and was on the side of my knee before I could put my hand up and stop him from climbing any higher up my leg. He was quiet at first but then I thought I felt a little scratch or nibble and got nervous. I went outside and a patient swatted him down and he ran across the street. I ended up with a really bad flu a day and a half later and I'm not sure if it was related or not. But at least I saved Lewis and felt good about it. 

❤️ you (fist bump). 

It could have been stress from the situation as well. Sometimes I get cold or flu like symptoms (fatigue, headache, temp changes, or faint) from anxiety. I also think working in public spaces like Dr offices or restaurants or grocery you’re exposed to a lot of germs just from staff and clients. I have to touch things that have people’s saliva on all the time. I wash my hands but still. Also people sneeze or cough in my face or spit on when they talk and it gets on my face and lips (that happened more when I worked grocery, believe it or not, wild they’re oblivious to doing it, like control that shit or stand back and talk louder when asking goofy questions or bitching about random shit “is the hot sauce spicy?” “Why is the aisle shaped this way? You need to change that ugh” “I’m in a hurry and very busy but want a potato with no carbs! And need 1.5 NOW!”) 

@Cupid Stunt sending prayers rn to your brother in law and fam. You are a true angel Sweetie and I’m sorry and wishing for the best and recovery  ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

You and your family are amazing, wonderful people.

Being in stasis, waiting, is hell for me, and I doubt I'd have you and your mother's strength.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Poor little guy.

A couple of years back, there was a mouse in the bathroom of the place I work. The physiotherapist's foot was just about to come down on it when I shouted noooo from the waiting room. I locked myself in the bathroom with him and first tried to get him in a box and then tried to grab him with a towel. He climbed up my pant leg and was on the side of my knee before I could put my hand up and stop him from climbing any higher up my leg. He was quiet at first but then I thought I felt a little scratch or nibble and got nervous. I went outside and a patient swatted him down and he ran across the street. I ended up with a really bad flu a day and a half later and I'm not sure if it was related or not. But at least I saved Lewis and felt good about it. 

This is like my story of when a squirrel ran into the office building where I had my flower shop. We saw it run into the lobby and someone had apparently called maintenance. The guys were chasing it with something like a baseball bat. My assistant and I were like "AW HELL NO" and we ran out there too. They chased to squirrel into the bank where it promptly ran into the vault. We told the maintenance guys to back off, went into the vault and Amy threw her coat over the little fellow and picked him up and walked outside and let him go. I swear those big dudes were acting like scared little girls.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Crazy. It's a squirrel. I mean I had a mouse actually in my pant leg on my bare skin and I took it all in stride. People are ridiculous.

Well you're tougher than the idiot maintenance guys in that building. Everyone who watched that scene go down, from the waitstaff in the restaurant to the people in the bank to the old ladies who ran the gift shop were more calm about it then they were.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

You're all so good ...

9 hours ago, boes said:

Cupid Stunt, it sounds beautiful and awful and timeless and nail-biting and everything under the sun, but you're there and helping and nothing matters more.

Love to you.

Bea met her husband at the University of Minnesota Agriculture School, both of them working on their Masters and Arborist certifications. Common goals and love bloomed. They married after completing their degrees and went to work on BILs family orchard.

They expanded the commercial fruit stock sales and brought in vintage apple hybrids. BILs father sold the orchard to them (the other siblings weren't interested) and they bought neighboring farms and vintage orchards to expand their fruit stock studied. In the last 12 years they've been beta sites for the U of MN and U of Washington fruit tree studies. 

Everything they worked for is in the orchard.

9 hours ago, pearlite said:

You and your family are amazing, wonderful people.

Being in stasis, waiting, is hell for me, and I doubt I'd have you and your mother's strength.

Nature abhors a vacuum … No one in the family can stand stasis either.

Dad's been splitting wood for the furnace, processing apple wood, supervising retail pick-ups, weeding in the orchard. He was disgusted with the manager of the orchard, so he fired him and six "lazy bastards"; the diatribe about taking advantage of a dying man and his wife was searing. Dad sent for five workers from the ranch to take their place, He's interviewing managers. 

Mr.Stunt arrived this afternoon to work the orchard accounts. Billing and receivables are four weeks behind.

Bea's wrung out after almost 2 years of BIL suffering with glioblastoma. The only thing we can do is stand by her, take care of the mundane and pray.

• Love 6

My brother will be here next Saturday! I am so excited and anxious. As I mentioned, he is special needs. The airline will provide him with "navigational assistance" which anyone with physical or mental disabilities is eligible for. I am absolutely beside myself with everything that could possibly go wrong when he switches planes (Honolulu). I've called the airline multiple times to try to find out precisely how he will be greeted/picked up and transferred. Will there be someone with a sign? Will someone go get him off the plane? I've got no definitive answer. He doesn't pay attention. He doesn't listen sometimes, especially when he has tunnel vision, which is the case ever since the trip was planned. I can't sleep, my IBS has been terrible, and on top of that (and very sorry for all the tmi) I started spotting yesterday after a year with no period. I thought I was in the clear! Ugh. I get this recurring pain in my neck on the left near my head hole that comes about with stress. It tries to be a relief valve but it drives me bananas.

I booked a ticket to Honolulu for the same flight and my sweet hubs is going to meet him. I haven't told Davy (my bro) or Hawaiian Airlines because I really want them to do their job for this to be a possibility in the future. HA just started flying direct from Boston to Oahu this year. We definitely don't have money for an extra ticket but it's worth it for a little bit more peace of mind, albeit very little. 

I'm so happy but so sick with anxiety, I know I'm not doing myself any favors. And it's been so somber here lately, I feel badly complaining. I'm sorry for everyone going through terrible things but my head is in danger of exploding. Did I tell you how much I love this kid?

• Love 10
16 hours ago, jpagan05 said:

My brother will be here next Saturday! I am so excited and anxious. As I mentioned, he is special needs. The airline will provide him with "navigational assistance" which anyone with physical or mental disabilities is eligible for. I am absolutely beside myself with everything that could possibly go wrong when he switches planes (Honolulu). I've called the airline multiple times to try to find out precisely how he will be greeted/picked up and transferred. Will there be someone with a sign? Will someone go get him off the plane? I've got no definitive answer. He doesn't pay attention. He doesn't listen sometimes, especially when he has tunnel vision, which is the case ever since the trip was planned. I can't sleep, my IBS has been terrible, and on top of that (and very sorry for all the tmi) I started spotting yesterday after a year with no period. I thought I was in the clear! Ugh. I get this recurring pain in my neck on the left near my head hole that comes about with stress. It tries to be a relief valve but it drives me bananas.

I booked a ticket to Honolulu for the same flight and my sweet hubs is going to meet him. I haven't told Davy (my bro) or Hawaiian Airlines because I really want them to do their job for this to be a possibility in the future. HA just started flying direct from Boston to Oahu this year. We definitely don't have money for an extra ticket but it's worth it for a little bit more peace of mind, albeit very little. 

I'm so happy but so sick with anxiety, I know I'm not doing myself any favors. And it's been so somber here lately, I feel badly complaining. I'm sorry for everyone going through terrible things but my head is in danger of exploding. Did I tell you how much I love this kid?

It's going to be all right. Hawaiian Airlines is top notch. Please don't worry yourself into being sick. ((((hugs))))

• Love 8

So I kind of need your opinion, friends. I'm torn on this dentistry job. 

Pros:

•  20 minute walk from home
  •  Starting pay is same as at physio place where I've been for almost 4 years
  • Anything in the fridge is mine, I can eat meals they have prepared if I so wish.
  • They didn't charge me for my cleaning
  • Willing to offer me more days if I like it and do well. 

Cons:

•  Clientele is low class, mostly rude, don't want to pay, and verbally abusive (had not experienced this yet)
  • It's just one day but the hours are long and I'm exhausted and have no time to do anything when I get home.
  • Dentist makes me super uncomfortable. He made a comment about a client who wanted him to get an erotic massage with him and how he can't because he can lose his license if caught
  • Told me how a friend of his only dates Asian woman because they have tight vaginas. 
  • Uses a system that reads your fingerprint to punch out, and when it wasn't working,  said my finger was sweaty and wiped my finger on his arm hair. Eww. I thought he was going to wipe it on his sleeve but nope. 
  • Constantly brings up the fact my grandfather is a dirty man who grabbed his assistant's boobs and tells everyone who is around. I've heard this story a million times.  And no, I don't condone what my grandfather did. 

I don't know if I should just try it out this week and see how it goes. maybe it won't be as bad? I also could use the money since the holidays are coming up. I was offered Wednesdays at the eye place, but it's only for two months. And in the summer I don't work at the eye place so I'd only be working three days. 

I agree with Peaches. Even if it's terrible, you can bite your tongue and stick with it for three more weeks.  BUT... there are an awful lot of giant red flags in your "cons" list.  Hopefully, a better opportunity will present itself after the holidays.

It's sad that there are still creepy men who have learned nothing from any of the #MeToo All-Stars.   This dentist sounds like a cross between Clarence Thomas and Rodney Dangerfield's character from Caddyshack.   

If you take this even for the just holidays, would you have to turn down the Wednesdays at the eye place?

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I worked at the eye clinic today and they asked about the Wednesday shift. I told my boss and his wife I would let them know by the end of December. They said there was no rush. The clinic is closed from Dec 24-Jan 12 so I don't think they're in too much of a rush to know.  They have another girl on standby just in case. 

In terms of the dentist, I have this Wednesday and next Wednesday and then it's Christmas. So really I would just have to toughen it up for two more shifts and then decide. I don't know if I should suck it up and then decide at the end of the month, or if that's just wasting the dentist's wife's time since she's the one training me. She was very happy with me at the end of my first shift last week and said I did well and made her happy. I feel bad backing out, but I don't think I can do this job long term. I, of course, will have a better idea after Wednesday (if I go in.)

• Love 8

We had that all-day rain on Monday, and I know exactly how you feel.  💖  Today is cold A.F., and my boys would have been parked on their cushions in front of the heating vents all day.

Edited by Snaporaz
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

It's so hard. 😭

It is hard.  Even though I have two 4 year old cats that I love more than anything, I miss the one we lost 5 years ago, the day after Christmas.  I was pulling out Christmas decorations and got verklempt when I pulled out the Christmas stockings....one for me and my husband, one for each of our cats and the original stocking with her favorite toys still in it for the one we lost.  Love never dies!

• Love 2

I had the best cat ever as a teenager. She lived to be 17 and then had to be put down because her kidneys started failing. I still miss her.

On an unrelated note, my manager is a moron and I want to kick her in the face. Grrr.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Capricasix said:

Anybody else annoyed by the pop-up ad at the bottom of the screen? I’m on mobile, so maybe those of you on a desktop browser don’t get it...anyway, it irks me 😣😄

It's not showing up on the desktop but I'm going to see if it shows up on my kindle.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Capricasix said:

Anybody else annoyed by the pop-up ad at the bottom of the screen? I’m on mobile, so maybe those of you on a desktop browser don’t get it...anyway, it irks me 😣😄

Maybe it's a Canadian plague, Caprica. Got them on the bottom and sides and middles of the screen on my desktop.

I hit those little "X"s as fast as I can, but it's futile, and it's messing with my enjoyment of the site.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 12/13/2019 at 7:38 AM, lovemesomejoolery said:

I don't know exactly why, but I woke up thinking about you, @Cupid Stunt.

Just wanted you to know that I still hold you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. 

(((Loveme))) Thank you. 

BIL died peacefully this afternoon. The family and nurses were exhausted. After the undertaker came for BIL, Bea went to bed. 

I'm waiting to in the kitchen tending a pot of soup, baking bread for breakfast.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Cupid Stunt said:

(((Loveme))) Thank you. 

BIL died peacefully this afternoon. The family and nurses were exhausted. After the undertaker came for BIL, Bea went to bed. 

I'm waiting to in the kitchen tending a pot of soup, baking bread for breakfast.

Awww....he's with the angels in heaven now.  Bless him and your family, especially your sister, in the days and weeks ahead.

• Love 10

Sincere condolences to you and your family, Cupid.  There's never a "good" time, but it must be even harder now, with everyone being happy and festive and preparing for the holidays.  Plus, Bea is a Christmas Eve baby, isn't she?  But she is lucky to have such a supportive, close-knit family who will make soup and bake bread for her.  That gives "comfort food" a whole new meaning.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

(((Loveme))) Thank you. 

Your exhaustion must be all-encompassing.  Take care of yourself when you can, as you're doing for everyone else.

• Love 11

Thank you, everyone.

4 hours ago, boes said:

Your exhaustion must be all-encompassing.  Take care of yourself when you can, as you're doing for everyone else.

I'm running on nervous energy, making meals, looking for tasks to complete, trying to keep up with work calls. Mr.Stunt will return tomorrow. The rest of the family will be here Wednesday night.

We've transitioned into a different effort to get through the days. Bea is wearing herself out in the orchard with Dad and her new crew, trimming trees and clearing brush. The medical rental people came this morning and removed the hospital bed and other equipment. Mom and I washed walls and curtains, cleaning the sickroom.

The silence in the house without BIL and the nursing staff is unsettling.

Edited by Cupid Stunt
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Cupid Stunt said:

Bea is wearing herself out in the orchard with Dad and her new crew, trimming trees and clearing brush.

Sometimes people have to physically do things, like your Dad and Bea are doing, in the orchard.  I know you know this already, you have all been doing this, since this tragedy began.

It is probably really a good thing for Bea at this point.  She will be still, and alone with her thoughts, soon enough.

Your family continues to be in my thoughts.  Thanks to you, I feel like I know all of them very well.  Hugs to you, @Cupid Stunt

• Love 10

So sorry Cupid.  It's never easy even if you think you're prepared for the worst.  (((hugs))) to Bea and you and all your family.

Make Christmas a time of remembrance celebrating his life.  My baby brother passed 2 days before his 50th birthday (Thanksgiving) 3 years ago and we had a party.  He was that kind of guy...always laughing.  So tell all the funny stories you can, play his favorite music, drag out all the old pics and remember his laugh.

Laughing through the tears does ease the sorrow.

• Love 12